Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
actually, do you prefer log horizon to sword art online?
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 17, 2013 6:26 PM

Jul 2012
590292009 said:
LH is pretty dark, you just have to look a bit past the surface. I mean just going off the episodes that have been released so far... we have slavery, exploitation and a lot of references to societal concerns.

Future Events

Not to mention a certain character...

If they do skirt it in such a half assed way I'm gonna bomb them w/ spam hate mail till their eyes go white.
Dec 17, 2013 7:17 PM

Dec 2007
No great opinion either way yet, but I will say that SO much more work has gone into Log Horizon in terms of world-building. There isn't as much action, but what's been there has been good, and the plot's a lot stronger where I'm at.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Dec 21, 2013 8:44 AM
Feb 2012
SOA anime compared to LH, LH is way better.
I honestly enjoyed watching LH more then SOA. SOA anime was poorly done especially season 2.
rraannddooDec 21, 2013 8:49 AM
Dec 21, 2013 9:15 AM

Jan 2013
Surprisingly(not really), LH has more and better action than SAO. True story.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 23, 2013 7:53 AM

Feb 2012
I prefer log horizon. I like the world building and the politics. The first half of SAO was great but the second half sucked.
Dec 23, 2013 12:56 PM

Feb 2008
I like both equally. You really can't compare the two. One deals with more MMO aspects while the other has a separate story line. When it comes down to it though, they're both about surviving. I loved SAO and I get the feeling I'm going to have the same thought once Log Horizon finishes.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Dec 23, 2013 8:03 PM

Apr 2010
LH would have to fail massively to be worse than SAO as a whole, but you can't really judge it until it's finished though. But really, a good story for the remainder of the series would probably see LH end up better. I find I've enjoyed the first half of LH more than the horrible ALO arc, so now it has to be better or on par with the first half of SAO and it will likely be the better of the two.
Dec 23, 2013 10:53 PM
Nov 2013
for me SAO is not MMO anime.
its just fantasy harem anime with HP Bars. the fight is not even MMO. its just swing sword around and hp bars going down.

as LH novel reader, its very amusing when i see someone said SAO is darker than LH. pretty funny. wait until "That girl" show up, you will see. (season 2 maybe)
Dec 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Jul 2012
dobinz said:
for me SAO is not MMO anime.
its just fantasy harem anime with HP Bars. the fight is not even MMO. its just swing sword around and hp bars going down.

as LH novel reader, its very amusing when i see someone said SAO is darker than LH. pretty funny. wait until "That girl" show up, you will see. (season 2 maybe)

Sssssh. Don't spoil that. But since it's NHK they might tone it down a lot if they make a season about her. W/c would suck. And as for SAO not being about MMOs I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a fan of both SAO and LH and later SAO really does go beyond the MMO premise into something more along the lines of "The Matrix". I still enjoyed the current arc more than Fairy Dance though.
Dec 25, 2013 2:39 AM
Dec 2013
To be honest......

Log Horizon (Anime) :

GREAT MMOS description in a very not so slow, not so fast paced story telling LIKE IN THE NOVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the animation a bit mediocre its still GREAT!

Sword Art Online (Anime) :

Despite the animation GREAT!!!!!!

Very Dramatic, Skips time TOO MUCH!, too much love scenes, too much SOLOING that seems very impossible for a normal MMO games developed VRs.... but this is anime so I guess its fine but it did not depicts the reality of an MMO game. MMORPG needs parties not some Goku's with sword that can solo bosses... well not entirely solo.. but has a very godly damage..... that can solo front lines.. LOL

Log Horizon (Novel) & Sword Art Online (Novel):

BOTH ARE GREAT ON THEIR OWN STYLE AND I LOVE THEM BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

but since LH creators made an anime that goes along with the Light novel.... Log Horizon got an edge over SAO since SAO Anime didnt go along with its Light Novel story.
Dec 25, 2013 2:41 AM

Dec 2013
i dropped log horizen after one episode i just didn't intrest me where as i've seen both seasons of SAO and yeah there where some plot holes but it was still good
Dec 25, 2013 2:44 AM
Dec 2013
123nova123 said:
i dropped log horizen after one episode i just didn't intrest me where as i've seen both seasons of SAO and yeah there where some plot holes but it was still good

DUDE!!!

if an anime got a not good not bad episode 1.....

It means that it will be good or greater for next episodes!!!!

Dont be fooled...!!!!

IT is not some GREAT episode 1 then after a few more like 15- 25 episodes more it got crappier.......... LOL

Plus you will appreciate this anime more than SAO .....

IF YOU ARE AN MMORPG PLAYER IN REAL LIFE!!!!!!
Dec 25, 2013 2:58 AM

Dec 2013
haha maybe ill start watching it in the coming year and i am an mmorpg player but i usually solo
Dec 25, 2013 3:03 AM
Dec 2013
123nova123 said:
haha maybe ill start watching it in the coming year and i am an mmorpg player but i usually solo

OF COURSE WE SOLO.....

but do u solo DUNGEONS and RAIDS??? LOL
Dec 25, 2013 3:05 AM

Dec 2013
i do solo duengeons but not raids, i don't like other people when i play
Dec 25, 2013 3:09 AM
Dec 2013
123nova123 said:
i do solo duengeons but not raids, i don't like other people when i play

H-how!??!?!?!

TEACH ME MASTER!!!

I cant do Dungeons ALONE on Eden Eternal as a MAGE class!!!!

=(
Dec 25, 2013 3:11 AM

Dec 2013
haha i've never played eden eternal and i often won't be a mage but just go to really low level dungeons see if you can beat it and work your way up until you have a good feel if you think you can beat whatever dungeon at your level
Dec 25, 2013 3:14 AM
Dec 2013
123nova123 said:
haha i've never played eden eternal and i often won't be a mage but just go to really low level dungeons see if you can beat it and work your way up until you have a good feel if you think you can beat whatever dungeon at your level

so it is not possible..... unless the dungeon itself is lower than our level........

=(
Dec 25, 2013 3:20 AM

Dec 2013
unfortanutly yea unless you focus all your skill points into one spell ti max it out and just spam that one spell and have amazing armor and stuff thats the only way i can really think of
Dec 25, 2013 3:22 AM
Dec 2013
123nova123 said:
unfortanutly yea unless you focus all your skill points into one spell ti max it out and just spam that one spell and have amazing armor and stuff thats the only way i can really think of
unfortunately..

Skill points in EE are more realistic and hard to spam....... plus all of the skills are upgraded equally.. LOL....
Dec 25, 2013 3:24 AM

Dec 2013
haha i guess you're outta luck but if you want i could start playing, it sounds interesting
Dec 26, 2013 7:07 PM
Jun 2010
Some game makes the dungeon ridiculously easy to solo, whereas other are harder. Most P&C MMORPG require you to be over level, whereas with Action MMORPG, you are require to have player skills to properly dodge the boss and can solo one or more dungeon bosses at the same time.

If you plan on soloing in EE dungeon, you need to be at least 20 level higher than the level recommendation of the dungeon.

In games like Vindictus, Dragon Nest, etc. you can be under-level can still solo it. Most of these game however, like to make the boss op at later level, where they can one-two shot you or posses cheap-shot ability to make it tougher. Some goes to the point of including auto-follow skills that never misses.

---

LazyLuongDec 26, 2013 7:18 PM
Dec 26, 2013 10:07 PM

Jun 2013
alexpte said:
I think it's unfair to compare the two just because they are the most recent anime series of the gaming genre. Both are mediocre adaptions of the original light novels, but LH is somewhat better adapted. SAO anime skips around too much because there is too much information to put in just a little over 20 episodes, making the execution of the plot worse than what one would expect. It would have been much better if it had 50 episodes so that it would have more development. (The novels do show the struggles Kirito faced in order to become OP as he was near the end of the Aincrad arc. The anime just happened to skip two years of his endeavors.) LH has a more linear plot, allowing the anime to better adapt the series. LH does have worse animations than SAO, but it is fitting since it's a more lighthearted series.

We also know the subgenre style each series is going towards. LH was created by the same person who made Maoyuu. That means we know that LH will take the strategist route, hence the character of Shiroe. The creator of SAO was also the creator of Accel World. His style goes for more action with a fallible and flawed main protagonist, hence the emotionally unstable Kirito (though the anime failed to show that).

In my honest opinion SAO (light novel) is one of the best series I have ever experienced due to how expansive it is with really intricate plots that makes one stop and think, but anime just didn't cut it for me. LH in my opinion was just much easier to adapt into an anime because of its simplicity and no need to delve deeper into the plot to understand it. Final decision: Sword Art Online because it was never specified though may be implied that it had to be the anime adaption.

I have to agree with this. Both anime has flaws and uniqueness.
But I have yet to decide which is better, because LH is still airing.
Dec 28, 2013 6:49 AM
Jan 2013
I liked both series but, the MMO feel that i want was got by LH.
Strategy, Team-work, Economy and more things inside a game.
well, i didnt say that SAO dont have it but, its just in the beginning. after that, no more.

Animation wise - SAO wins, but hey i dont even care about that as long as i can watch but many people here include this criteria so i decided to include it.

Story - can't decide yet because its not yet finished but as of now im leaning towards Log. why? story focus on many individuals while SAO focused on a super overpowered being. because i dont see any one killing bosses alone(i admit, i like that part but, thats ridiculous really, that can't happen in high level bosses 1v1 and kill him in 1 skill?), dont rely on hack, no deus-ex machina (where asuna should have died but hey, she's alive). need to think, strategics , rely on your team-mates which is the real essence of MMORPG's and hey! they can respawn. :D. politics and lack of action (where most of the time, action takes place in speeches?) well ill rather stick with it instead of a story with more romance than action. im still waiting for something like that in log horizon, something ridiculous.

(Btw, i based this only in SAO arc since its SAO. right? its stupid that you will still base that SAO is good if it have many ONLINE GAMES related. its not SAO anymore. SAO, ALO GGO and so on. so many story jumps from game to game, they shouldn't named it SAO if they want to add and not focus in SAO world alone. unlike Log which focus only in Elder tale.) well, feel free to discard this, this is just my rant. btw, ALO sucks. SAO arc is good though minus the romance. :D)

sounds-nah, they are both good in OP. cant decide sorry. :3
Log Horizon won the ED though. :D

Im really enjoying the series as of now since i remember my past in ragnarok online PH. well that's just me.
Dec 28, 2013 7:28 AM

Oct 2011
Why are you even comparing LH to SAO...? oh well. LH for me.
Dec 28, 2013 7:33 AM

Nov 2012
How is it even possible that SAO is still rated this high? How many hate has there to come to finally see it drop down. If you read the forums boards it looks like at least 75% of MAL dislikes it. How is it possible for SAO to be still far above the 8 ranking?
Dec 28, 2013 9:18 AM

Nov 2008
SAO. Because Shiroe's voice actor is a douchebag.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Dec 28, 2013 10:13 AM

Jul 2008
johnyjohny said:
How is it even possible that SAO is still rated this high? How many hate has there to come to finally see it drop down. If you read the forums boards it looks like at least 75% of MAL dislikes it. How is it possible for SAO to be still far above the 8 ranking?

I'd say a mere two or three percents of MAL at best use the forums actively (300posts +).
Dec 28, 2013 10:23 AM

Sep 2009
I like both shows. Each of them have something different to offer. SAO had more of a focus on being trapped in a game world while you hardly get that at all with Log Horizon so far (right now it almost feels like standard fantasy). Log Horizon has more of a focus on world building which SAO didn't have as much.

Honestly, I think the massive hate for SAO on the forums here is a bit silly. For me, I would rather have an overpowered character than a weak whiny one that so many shows have. It's all personal preference though.
Dec 28, 2013 11:30 AM
Dec 2013
saxophone15 said:
I like both shows. Each of them have something different to offer. SAO had more of a focus on being trapped in a game world while you hardly get that at all with Log Horizon so far (right now it almost feels like standard fantasy). Log Horizon has more of a focus on world building which SAO didn't have as much.

Honestly, I think the massive hate for SAO on the forums here is a bit silly. For me, I would rather have an overpowered character than a weak whiny one that so many shows have. It's all personal preference though.

LH doesnt have an MC who is so emotional and dramatic personality...

plus Shiroe isnt whiny.. where did you see him whine in these 13 episodes anyway????? LOL
Dec 28, 2013 11:42 AM

Oct 2013
LH takes itself as is it in nature- just a game! It isn't a tryhard all out serious cheesy bs with a romance story that is a topic on it's own tbh. And yeah, it is clear that guy who made Log Horizon actually has alot more knowledge about MMORPGs than the other. Log Horizon all day, for me. I would go with SAO if they ended it in first arc tho.
Dec 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Apr 2010
saxophone15 said:

So you prefer Shiroe over Kirito then?
Dec 28, 2013 1:07 PM
Oct 2011
Anime wise Log Horizon due to the fact that it follows the LN much much more then SAO. SAO jumps everywhere compared to the LN skipping a lot of scenes. The LN in SAO is much much better executed.

But both stories have its own charms to it and I love mmorpgs.
Dec 28, 2013 1:18 PM

Dec 2013
jawnmewn said:
log horizon's more "realistic" in the sense that it more accurately represents an mmo and focuses on the diplomatic and social aspect of an mmo rather than some overpowered kid who just destroys everything and makes some meaningless friends and one lover.

however both have their merits. sao's battles were nice to look at anyway.

And don't forget Kirito's harem
Dec 28, 2013 7:35 PM
Jun 2013
shindayuki said:
123nova123 said:

OF COURSE WE SOLO.....

but do u solo DUNGEONS and RAIDS??? LOL

i played Ragnarok Online and i can kill MVP alone. i played Genetic in Ragnarok Online.

saxophone15 said:

agree with you. i like overpowered character than whiny mc like haruyuki accel world.
of course Shiroe is good character too.

i just don't understand why so many people hate kirito being overpowered ?
Dec 28, 2013 8:22 PM

Jan 2013
Superfaraway said:
i played Ragnarok Online and i can kill MVP alone. i played Genetic in Ragnarok Online.

IMO, I find that being able to solo raid bosses defeats the purpose of an MMORPG, if I wanted to play alone I'd just play an RPG.

Superfaraway said:

i just don't understand why so many people hate kirito being overpowered ?

I don't mind OP and gary stus myself, hell you can make an argument with Shiroe , Krusy and Soujiro having these traits but from what I've seen of SAO, it's just that there's absolutely nothing going on for Kirito other than being OP, nice and a chick magnet.

Izayoi from Mondaiji was OP too but at least his trolling and playful nature was entertaining.
minescopeDec 28, 2013 9:38 PM
Dec 28, 2013 9:21 PM

Jul 2012
minescope said:
I don't mind OP and gary stus myself, hell you make an argument with Shiroe , Krusy and Soujiro having these traits but from what I've seen of SAO, it's just that there's absolutely nothing going on for Kirito other than being OP, nice and a chick magnet.

Izayoi from Mondaiji was OP too but at least his trolling and playful nature was entertaining.

That's the problem w/ the adaptation. Most of the character development for Kirito was handled through internal monologue w/ occasional witty/funny commentary, scathing tsukkomis and weird thought processes that made you feel that he wasn't exactly right in the head in some moments. It was told in his perspective using his words to describe the situation and it was surprisingly a pretty fun read. That was what endeared him to us novel readers. The anime adaptation completely failed in incorporating that element w/c in turn made him the generic Gary Stu people see today.
Dec 28, 2013 9:46 PM

Dec 2009
I like both. Each has their own unique charm.

And yes, the adaptation for SAO didn't bother to give any insight to Kirito's thought processes so half the time he was just shouting towards the boss or something.

I'm much MUCH more satisfied with NHK's adaptation for Log Horizon. At least here they kept the substance of the series as seen with the Princess NEET and Krusty interactions.
Dec 28, 2013 11:21 PM

Jul 2013
in terms of romance SAO

in gaming LH
Dec 29, 2013 12:31 AM

Jul 2013
SAO is a generic shonen using MMORPG as its setting.

Log Horizon is an anime about MMORPG in the truest sense.

I can't think of a single aspect in SAO that's superior than LH in any way. LH's characters are far more likeable, the battles are far more thought out (SAO merely slashing here and there), the stories are also a lot more intricate with the politic and social theme. In terms of music, both Database and Your Song are two of my favorite songs in this anime season. SAO is a bit darker and more serious but that's about it, Log Horizon is a lot more unique in a way that it's difficult to find an anime that's similar to it. I also get the feeling the story is going to get a lot darker real soon.

MoeGodDec 29, 2013 12:35 AM
Dec 29, 2013 12:51 AM
Jun 2010
What SAO anime did to SAO LN was similar to what Ender's Game movie was made vs how Ender's Game Novel was actually written. They share the problem that the original writing heavily focus on the psychological part of the main character, which is difficult to portray in an show/movie.
Dec 29, 2013 7:35 AM
Dec 2013
minescope said:
Superfaraway said:

IMO, I find that being able to solo raid bosses defeats the purpose of an MMORPG, if I wanted to play alone I'd just play an RPG.

Defeat MVP's alone???? what level are you?!??! 255 or 500?? .. LOL Private Server Stuffs can only do that..

but at max of 99 base level and 70 job level........... I DONT THINK SO.

Official RO's arent made that way.. unless.. ur level was 255 and above and has 100 - 150 job level...LOL
Dec 29, 2013 8:26 AM

Jan 2013
Both are nice , i mainly loved sao for the animation (imo its way better than LH) , but LH's story seems far better and more original . I'll go with LH. SAO just 'killed' itself with the romance .
Dec 29, 2013 8:29 AM

Sep 2009
shindayuki said:
saxophone15 said:

LH doesnt have an MC who is so emotional and dramatic personality...

plus Shiroe isnt whiny.. where did you see him whine in these 13 episodes anyway????? LOL
You misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about Shiroe when I mentioned whiny characters...I was talking about action shows in general that have whiny characters. I like Shiroe quite a bit.
Dec 29, 2013 11:55 PM
Jun 2013
shindayuki said:
minescope said:
Superfaraway said:

Defeat MVP's alone???? what level are you?!??! 255 or 500?? .. LOL Private Server Stuffs can only do that..

but at max of 99 base level and 70 job level........... I DONT THINK SO.

Official RO's arent made that way.. unless.. ur level was 255 and above and has 100 - 150 job level...LOL

Fool

You don't know Ragnarok. Play Ragnarok International official server.
Max level 160.
Even in my country official server, max level is 150. I can go to dungeon alone and kill MVP alone.

I tell you, I play GENETIC.
Search if you don't know.
I already play Ragnarok Online for 10 years. Every years less and less player in this server. Don't blame me if I go to dungeon alone to kill MVP.
Dec 30, 2013 4:26 AM
Jun 2010
If i can recall from my memory, doesn't ragnarok online deal with a lot of pot spamming while fighting. even with the right cards, and high upgraded gears, you still have to spam pots constantly. Well rather than pots, it would be that item drop from those bapho jr. that drastically heal your hp. Can't remember what it's called, but even with a stack of those item, wouldn't MVP battle be annoying to do solo.

I honestly can't ever go back to pot spamming anymore, lol. Played enough old MMORPG when i was younger. At least other games that still uses pot spamming implement auto-pot usage like a bot.
Dec 30, 2013 5:38 AM
Dec 2013

Wait..... so you used so many pots then... mostly YGG's... =)
shindayukiDec 30, 2013 5:44 AM
Dec 30, 2013 2:48 PM
Jun 2013
shindayuki said:

Hahahha please don't talk anymore. You don't know Ragnarok nowadays. You just look like a Fool.
My skills and experience already been forged for Ten years. Please don't underestimate me playing Ragnarok Online.

I only want to say that SOLO is Possible.

I'm not saying its a good choice when you play mmorpg. But Solo is Possible. Just like that.
Dec 30, 2013 4:23 PM
Dec 2013
Superfaraway said:
shindayuki said:

Hahahha please don't talk anymore. You don't know Ragnarok nowadays. You just look like a Fool.
My skills and experience already been forged for Ten years. Please don't underestimate me playing Ragnarok Online.

I only want to say that SOLO is Possible.

I'm not saying its a good choice when you play mmorpg. But Solo is Possible. Just like that.

Im a veteran player of ragnarok online what you said to your earlier post were true. iRO now got 160 caps for level they are able to solo MVP boss with right gears and ofcourse YGG Berry hehehehe...

Talking About Ragnarok online, im currently playing Ragnarok online 2 both SEA and NA server.. level caps is only set to 50 for SEA, right now NA level caps increase leading to Mater Level. In RO2 you can solo Hard mode Dungeon with the help of Pet (ex.: eremes guile (who can stun boss), Imverse or ruin (who can freeze boss), elder willow, lapparman, assassin elder, rmorth (who are heal Pets)) those pet i mention can help you clear hard dungeon in RO2 solo but RO2 hard dungeon and normal is set to recommend 5 players to enter. but in RO2 raid dungeon are hellish to complete needed a very dynamic raid members set up ex. you need 2 tanks (can be knight, warrior, monk, or beast masters), 2 priest, 2 sorc or 1 sorc/1soul maker, 4 dps (can be ranger, rouge, crec, assassin or wiz).. right now in RO2 bapho raid dungeon can clear with just 3 memebers 1 tank 1 healer and 1 dps cause of the new currently end tier thats has introduce in the game. but other dungeon like culvert of abyss, Abadon of despair, chaos dungeon and the new Morroc Dungeon need the dynamic raid setup i mention.. WoW and other ripoff of WoW engine game mechanics like RO2 is more Like LH how end game max level players interact and how guild compete each other to complete raids and gain epic gears..
Dec 30, 2013 4:38 PM
Jun 2013
jhinxsinx said:

Im a veteran player of ragnarok online what you said to your earlier post were true. iRO now got 160 caps for level they are able to solo MVP boss with right gears and ofcourse YGG Berry hehehehe...

You should try Geneticist Homunculi S - Dieter or Sera ( pain killer ) .

shindayuki said:

Log Horizon (Novel) & Sword Art Online (Novel):

BOTH ARE GREAT ON THEIR OWN STYLE AND I LOVE THEM BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oohhoo you like SAO Light Novel ? So, Kirito is not Solo in Light Novel ?
Your post is contradictive, you doesn't like Kirito Solo but love the Light Novel ?

I don't understand you.
SuperfarawayDec 30, 2013 4:42 PM
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

405 by Kraum »»
May 28, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2014

370 by Kraum »»
May 28, 7:30 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2013

375 by Selltar »»
May 10, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2013

270 by LucasDoragon »»
Apr 27, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

268 by MFM32 »»
Mar 3, 6:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.