Forum Settings
Forums

Watching anime means you're socially awkward?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 2, 2013 1:01 PM

May 2012
i'm very extroverted and i also don't mind much if people know i watch anime...but there are such negative stereotypes associated with anime fans so it's like i don't want people to think i'm some weirdo who has no idea how to socialize ??

if i didn't have severe social anxiety i'd be excellent at socializing lmao..........to me i figure keeping up with anime and watching it is almost like watching american tv shows aside from the fact that it's not american
like there are people who have 5 different shows they watch on tv every week so i don't see why anime fans are the weird ones for watching the same amount of shows
Jun 2, 2013 1:12 PM

Jan 2011
Thank goodness i don't watch anime, i just glance at it and realize that what
i'm watching is pretty stupid and go out to socialize about what the hell I just
watched
Jun 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Mar 2013
Kalheesi said:
Chakaara said:
Most of my friends watch anime.

And I'm not socially awkward at all, I talk to people and stuff.

You lucky bastard ! ^^

I know right ?

el_putazo said:
Chakaara said:
Most of my friends watch anime.

And I'm not socially awkward at all, I talk to people and stuff.
Same.
Except I don't really go out much...
*cough*I'm weird...OK?*cough*

Neither did I until not so long ago, I think having fun with your friends is.... Well, fun.
Jun 2, 2013 1:21 PM

May 2013
Never had problems with watching anime.
In fact, most of my friends watch anime or play game (lol, wow, etc).
Jun 2, 2013 1:36 PM

Nov 2011
Some of my friends watch Anime and I would find them and myself to be weird but personality wise not interests. Although I honestly don't know what type of stuff they watch.

I'll would find myself "Socially-awkward" because I hate interacting with other people and I don't like to go out much.

Hopefully, I'll improve my Social skills by doing Community Service and Internship. Graduation Requirements.
Jun 2, 2013 2:06 PM

Oct 2009
1. Anime is a niche. People loath foreign things.
2. Otakus. Many have seen the extremes when it comes to those who watch anime and those few people give a bad name to those who don't over-zealously watch and obsess over anime
lucjanJun 2, 2013 2:09 PM

Jun 2, 2013 3:28 PM

Feb 2010
Sinonis said:
Participiate any Anime Con and you will see

Yes, attend an anime con. Be overwhelm by Hetalia, Homestuck and My Little Pony.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2013 3:29 PM

Oct 2011
Matenrou said:
Why is it that when I ask any non-anime viewer about anime they associate it with socially retarded people? Or weirdos etc..

Is society really that judgemental D:

This is why I hate cas dis.
Jun 2, 2013 3:34 PM

Mar 2011
Like no one ever has ever been stereotyped before.
Jun 2, 2013 4:47 PM
Feb 2013
Sometimes, it seems to me that people love to describe themselves as "weird" and "socially awkward"...
Jun 2, 2013 5:56 PM

May 2012
Bastwii said:
Sometimes, it seems to me that people love to describe themselves as "weird" and "socially awkward"...

people think it makes them "special" or "unique" to do so

it's funny because there's a million other people who describe themselves as "weird" so really they aren't unique at all ~
Jun 2, 2013 6:06 PM

Oct 2011
InfiniteRufus said:
Like no one ever has ever been stereotyped before.

Could you imagine a world without stereotypes. It would be so boring.
Jun 2, 2013 6:27 PM

Mar 2013
I think, as with any stereotype, there are just enough examples of people who fit the stereotype that it persists. When I was at my undergraduate institution, people were generally intrigued when I told them I liked anime, and usually the first thing that came out of their mouths was something along the line of, "I never would have pegged you for an anime fan. You're totally not like [girl]." Said girl was your stereotypical pimply-faced, overweight awkward girl who was nice, but talked too much, would insert random Japanese words into conversations (e.g. "Oh come on, baka, don't do that!"--thankfully she had the understanding that this wasn't really acceptable during class discussions and never did it then), wore a kimono-looking outfit with furry ears and a tail during International Week, etc. etc. etc.

The thing is though, the secondhand embarrassment I felt for her was just as strong as it would have been for the guy who takes sports too seriously, or the girl who constantly brought up that she was a Christian, or the "white guy pretending to be black," or whatever. Whatever stereotype it is, there are some people who do in fact fit it. Does that mean that everyone else does? Hell no! But unfortunately those examples tend to be just strong enough that they serve as reference points for people not familiar with the subject.

I also think that sometimes people don't know what exactly constitutes as anime. Like I had a friend who likes Pokemon and some other show I can't think of at the top of my head who told me he'd never seen anime. I was like, "Uh." If it gets popular enough people sometimes forget where it came from.
Jun 2, 2013 6:28 PM

Feb 2011
Funnily enough, I love anime, and I'm a hikikomori. :'D
Jun 2, 2013 6:55 PM

Nov 2012
yeah i guess
i say i like anime and manga, however since im asian people dont give me looks?? they just go ''oh shes asian who cares''
although other people who do like it are shunned
Jun 2, 2013 7:27 PM
Jun 2012
I need a copy of The Rules of Watching Anime.

Seriously though, I never did tell the people I used to hangout with that I liked anime because no one asked so I can't say if it makes you socially awkard(Not saying it's bad to be socially awkward). Though I did meet some people who I overheard talking about anime, but I guess I wasn't invited to the group? xD
katkejrJun 2, 2013 7:46 PM
Jun 2, 2013 7:39 PM

May 2013
Tagredan said:
I need a copy of The Rules of Watching Anime.

Seriously though, I never did tell the people I used to hangout with that I liked anime because no one asked so I can't say if it makes you socially awkard(Not saying it's bad to be socially awkard). Though I did meet some people who I overheard talking about anime, but I guess I wasn't invited to the group? xD
Especially when you look at the younger age of this generation. What do they do when they "hang out"? I'd say it's a lot safer to be "socially awkward".
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 2, 2013 7:41 PM

Dec 2012
Does watching movies makes people socially awkward?

Does watching regular TV series makes them socially awkward?

There's a difference between doing something regularly and making that your obsession to the point you can't properly socialize with people.

This thread is ridiculous.
Jun 2, 2013 7:50 PM

Dec 2012
I meant the purpose of making a thread about this. Not the participants in it.
Jun 2, 2013 7:54 PM

Nov 2011
I think he just means, why make a thread for a question that is stupidly obvious to answer.

Of course it doesn't mean that at all. Tons of people that don't watch anime are socially awkward and I've seen a ton of anime watchers whom are the most out-going out of everyone. It's just a silly stereotype that means nothing at all or has anything to back it up.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 2, 2013 8:49 PM

May 2013
Yeah, so people think we're not 'normal people'. Trust me, I've gotten that a few times, but fuck 'em because people who think of you like that; they think you're socially awkward, have no life, or won't grow up, etc. don't know a thing about anime or visual art in general.
Sing to me.
Jun 2, 2013 9:57 PM

Apr 2013
Anime making fun of anime clubs:
Jun 2, 2013 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
Not at all, i tell everyone that i'm about that anime life
Jun 2, 2013 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
Matenrou said:
Why is it that when I ask any non-anime viewer about anime they associate it with socially retarded people? Or weirdos etc..

because anime viewers in japan is associated with Otaku/Obsessed people or Hikikomori/Shut-Ins/Socially Withdrawn people

and im one of the Hikikomori people i only go outside when i have a work/job
Jun 2, 2013 10:55 PM

May 2013
j0x said:
Matenrou said:

because anime viewers in japan is associated with Otaku/Obsessed people or Hikikomori/Shut-Ins/Socially Withdrawn people

That's what that means? If it means the same with school, that I am.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 2, 2013 11:09 PM

Jan 2009
Diran-kun said:
j0x said:
Matenrou said:

actually i define Hikikomori mildly there a real Hikikomori will just be shut-ins or almost never go outside their homes
Jun 2, 2013 11:12 PM

May 2013
j0x said:
Diran-kun said:
j0x said:
Matenrou said:

actually i define Hikikomori mildly there a real Hikikomori will just be shut-ins or almost never go outside their homes
I only leave my house for school. I don't see the need in going out otherwise.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 3, 2013 12:35 AM

Apr 2012
I find anime as a substitute for mind numbingly boring reality tv shows that flood TV nowadays. Don't see how it makes me socially awkward. Then again people whom are obsessed with anime I find pretty weird, but anyone obsessed with anything probably has a loose screw as well. >.>

Jun 3, 2013 12:44 AM

May 2013
Zeally said:
I find anime as a substitute for mind numbingly boring reality tv shows that flood TV nowadays. Don't see how it makes me socially awkward. Then again people whom are obsessed with anime I find pretty weird, but anyone obsessed with anything probably has a loose screw as well. >.>
The term "weird" and "normal" are often used carelessly. What makes someone normal? Nothing. Normal doesn't exist.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 3, 2013 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
back in high school (in china for me), there were several traits common to us anime fans
1. highly adept at mathematics, physics or computer science
2. top gpa of the class
3. nerds (well some)
4. physically normal, not weak or anything
5. no girlfriend and never talk to girls

and all that applies to me as well
Jun 3, 2013 10:52 AM

Apr 2012
Is there a socially awkward club here? *peruses the clubs*
Stereotype or not, I like to think people who watch anime/read manga are more open-minded, not necessarily awkward.

It's just not the common norm. So embrace that!
Jun 4, 2013 3:29 AM

May 2010
Stereotype will always be there and cant shit be done about it, people will be people, some people are open minded and some want to stay with in the norm. which i find to be boring sometimes.
Jun 4, 2013 12:19 PM

Nov 2012
Roxas3245 said:
Is there a socially awkward club here? *peruses the clubs*
Stereotype or not, I like to think people who watch anime/read manga are more open-minded, not necessarily awkward.

It's just not the common norm. So embrace that!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=14211
Maybe I should join too to spam some posts between anime marathons.
Jun 4, 2013 12:23 PM

Apr 2011
Some are, some are not.
Jun 4, 2013 12:23 PM

Sep 2012
Roxas3245 said:
I like to think people who watch anime/read manga are more open-minded
After almost a year here in MAL, I can confidently say that is not the case.
Jun 4, 2013 12:33 PM

Apr 2011
Red_Keys said:
Roxas3245 said:
I like to think people who watch anime/read manga are more open-minded
After almost a year here in MAL, I can confidently say that is not the case.

That is also an issue that you can answer with "It depends." Since it's about individuals.
Jun 9, 2013 2:09 AM
Jun 2013
I don't know anyone personally that reads manga or watches anime. I'm not socially awkward, I can blend in in pretty much any social environment and nobody would know that I have "nerdy" interests. The first thing a lot of people ask me is if I played football in college, go figure. I enjoy manga/anime for what it is and don't obsess over it as it's one of many interests. I guess it would be nice to hang out with people who share the interest but I'm not a high schooler anymore so the options are fewer.

There are quite a few people out there that fit the stereotype, otherwise it wouldn't exist in the first place.
Jun 9, 2013 3:33 AM

Aug 2011
Obviously no. if you look at the number of interesting love stories from your first crush thread.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Jun 9, 2013 6:34 AM

Mar 2012
I have always been an Introvert, anime had nothing to do with it. I never mention I like anime, or say anything about it unless I know the other person watches any.
Jun 9, 2013 7:17 AM

May 2013
Nope. What makes you socially awkward is your decision to be or not to be.
Some say anime fans are more likely to be hikkikomori and antisocial, but people have proven that not always happens. Eventhough we could be a weaboo for fangirling too much on socmed, you shouldnt give a damn about them imo. That kind of spams is better than insults in socmed. :P

As long as you still keep in touch with people that are not anime fans, why not :3 being partly introvert isn't that bad.
Jun 9, 2013 10:37 AM
Dec 2012
N-no, socially awkward people just happen to watch anime. I'm a klutz so I accidentally started watching animu! xP
Jun 9, 2013 10:43 AM

Mar 2013
Nidstang said:
Some are, some are not.

Sherlock over here.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you love anyone in your life? ( 1 2 )

LenRea - Mar 31

50 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
4 minutes ago

» [Mature Discussion] Are guro readers budding serial killers?

Objective - Jan 11, 2015

45 by zaako »»
8 minutes ago

» Favorite animal?

Metalboy76 - Yesterday

22 by MasterTasuke »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Anyone ever commission anime art?

ACasualViewer - May 27

11 by Rhae »»
18 minutes ago

» Rant on Overly curious people that assume the worse.

InfernoPhoeniz12 - Jan 3, 2021

14 by LoveYourSmile »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.