Forum Settings
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 14, 8:53 PM
Dec 2017
This affected me a lot. Just seeing the new Phos experiencing happiness and expressing a real wish for other people to be happy really feels like a culmination of the series.
Jul 16, 4:02 AM
Apr 2023
I don't know what to say
Jul 18, 11:13 AM
Aug 2021
visually stunning visuals. the last few chapters felt straight up like Buddhism + nihilism stuffs though.
Jul 30, 2:29 PM

Oct 2010
Reply to Thorf
To be honest this is the only manga ever that's COMPLETELY lost me... I guess now's the perfect time for a reread now that it's all in one package. The first half was a 10/10, the rest I can't even rate because of how much I couldn't keep track of aside from the really bad moon plotline.

8/10 for now, will never forget the beginning that's for sure.
@Thorf Exactly how me, and my sister felt. We both agree the first half was a 10\10. Amazing story amazing character development and interactions. Many mysteries and discoveries. A brand new wondrous world that is so tempting to know about. And then.. Phos goes to the moon and everything is a mess.
Honestly? I almost thought the author changed midway. Many unexplained plot lines. Mess of a story. Character interactions are very bad compared to the first half. Many loose ends. Many bases were treated badly like the whole phos\cinnabar chemistry. And that whole ending arc was just.... "this can't be the same masterpiece from 50 chapters ago right ?" was all I thinking in my head.
First half 10\10
From moon on 5\10 at best.

A shame for a work that started as a masterpiece.
Ace-1Jul 30, 2:39 PM
Jul 30, 3:09 PM

Jan 2018
Reply to Ace-1
@Thorf Exactly how me, and my sister felt. We both agree the first half was a 10\10. Amazing story amazing character development and interactions. Many mysteries and discoveries. A brand new wondrous world that is so tempting to know about. And then.. Phos goes to the moon and everything is a mess.
Honestly? I almost thought the author changed midway. Many unexplained plot lines. Mess of a story. Character interactions are very bad compared to the first half. Many loose ends. Many bases were treated badly like the whole phos\cinnabar chemistry. And that whole ending arc was just.... "this can't be the same masterpiece from 50 chapters ago right ?" was all I thinking in my head.
First half 10\10
From moon on 5\10 at best.

A shame for a work that started as a masterpiece.
@Ace-1 Yeah the switch up after the moon arc started was kind of outrageous, everything either turned to shit or fizzled out. Obviously the very short monthly chapters with year long breaks didn't help but it was almost incomprehensible half the time, and the stuff that did make sense was awful. The romance for one... what was that? Lol.
Jul 31, 2:56 AM

Jul 2021
Well, this was disappointing. The gems started acting dumb after Phos went to the moon, and after he prayed all of them away, we get this really nonsensical ending, that was stretched for 10+ chapters with adding nothing of substance to the plot...
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 31, 3:00 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Thorf
@Ace-1 Yeah the switch up after the moon arc started was kind of outrageous, everything either turned to shit or fizzled out. Obviously the very short monthly chapters with year long breaks didn't help but it was almost incomprehensible half the time, and the stuff that did make sense was awful. The romance for one... what was that? Lol.
@Thorf The romance wasn't even that bad. It was kind of pointless, but still had more substance than all the chapters combined after the lunarians disappeared.
Jul 31, 6:23 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to justsomeguy222
It should have ended at chapter 98. everything after that was nonsense. we dont even end with phos but with admants brother?! what the heck kinda ending is that. i would have rather a) phos prayed and everyone including phos vanished or b)phos prayed but literally only she vanished as a final screw you to all the people she tried to help and left her to rot for 10 000 years.
@justsomeguy222 Yea, introducing a new character after the last event that mattered that was like barely hinted to exist previously is just kind of weird...
It'd be like having a new character suddenly show up in Return of the King after Sauron dies. And like even that movie has an epilogue that's too long, but this manga managed to beat it.
Aug 17, 2:38 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to JaniSIr
@justsomeguy222 Yea, introducing a new character after the last event that mattered that was like barely hinted to exist previously is just kind of weird...
It'd be like having a new character suddenly show up in Return of the King after Sauron dies. And like even that movie has an epilogue that's too long, but this manga managed to beat it.
@JaniSIr The reason it dragged on a bit at the end is because the author wanted it to end at chapter 108 for buddhist symbolism. And honestly, that goes for a lot of the series - many choices that could be considered flaws were very clearly and intentionally made for thematic reasons. Whether that justifies them or not is up to each reader though, of course.
Aug 17, 3:18 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Deane
@JaniSIr The reason it dragged on a bit at the end is because the author wanted it to end at chapter 108 for buddhist symbolism. And honestly, that goes for a lot of the series - many choices that could be considered flaws were very clearly and intentionally made for thematic reasons. Whether that justifies them or not is up to each reader though, of course.
@Deane Nope, it was not, beyond the obvious moon people design everything went above my head.
Aug 19, 3:52 PM
Sep 2021
goated conclusion
Aug 26, 8:38 PM
Jan 2020
It was pretty good :)
Sep 6, 1:14 AM
Jul 2024
I needed some more closure for me personally. I wish I could say I understood the purpose of the last few chapters but idk lol. I don't think Phos needed revenge to feel satisfied. Phos was finally useful and doesn't have to suffer anymore :'( Im gonna miss Phos
Sep 8, 12:39 PM
Jan 2018
I feel depressed.
Sep 9, 12:12 PM

Jul 2016
my friend's fanart @Tskorrn

Sep 19, 3:29 AM
Jun 2023
cried alot, ichikawa is a genius
Sep 20, 2:39 AM

Oct 2012
Manga itself and character designs sure were pretty unique, but the philosophical meaning it aims for and conclusions it reaches ended up really shallow. Add all the illogical things happening in a setting where it shouldn't be allowed and you just got a weak Eden: Endless World parody that simply didn't work out in the end.

A 6/10 I guess, mostly for creativity.
Sep 21, 1:48 PM
May 2021
Reply to Deane
@Deane ill be honest. i think the author had zero idea how to finish this off. 1-99 was masterfully done and 100-108 almost seems like a completely different person writing it. nothing happens. thats not even phos. what i REALLY wanted answers too was what did Aechmea did to all the gems that went to the moon. literally ALL of them changed personalities and became violent(with the excepition of diamond to becomes an invalid) . even kongo goes from being caring to 'ya screw phos'.

instead everyone disappears then wierd alien person talks to rocks for 8 chapters.
Sep 21, 3:32 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to justsomeguy222
@Deane ill be honest. i think the author had zero idea how to finish this off. 1-99 was masterfully done and 100-108 almost seems like a completely different person writing it. nothing happens. thats not even phos. what i REALLY wanted answers too was what did Aechmea did to all the gems that went to the moon. literally ALL of them changed personalities and became violent(with the excepition of diamond to becomes an invalid) . even kongo goes from being caring to 'ya screw phos'.

instead everyone disappears then wierd alien person talks to rocks for 8 chapters.
@justsomeguy222 Chapters 100-108 are the epilogue of the story. With everyone gone, some new friends who are free from humanity's blemishes and (basically) infinite time ahead of her, Phos is able to finally understand where she went wrong (ch. 99). It's not just "weird alien talks to rocks," it's a reflection on everything that came before. She understands the failings of humans as a species, reflects on it, discusses it with others (with no clear answer - "both he and you are right") and reaches her own conclusion. Everything changes.

The gems didn't all change personalities and become violent, I'd honestly like to know who you're thinking of when writing that. Most of them simply became indifferent to Phos (I mean, 10 thousand years passed) and wished for nothingness along with the other Lunarians. As for the initial group that went to the moon, I feel none of them had any sudden changes of personality aside from Cairngorn. Kongo didn't go "screw you Phos," he was simply tired of his unending existence and was looking for it to end for a long time ("all this time, I've been waiting for a human to tell me that my work is done"). Diamond's aggression towards Bort was a perfect way to portray how her inferiority complex, need for validation and feelings of envy negatively affected her, showing that while Diamond was still hung up on it ages later ("Will you please fight me? I want to beat you at the one thing you do best"), without the Lunarians' threat Bort completely lost interest in fighting, instead taking an interest in raising Jellyfishes. Bort changed while Diamond was unable to move on. Diamond even proceeded to blame Bort for everything ("whose fault is it that things turned out this way?"), when her own perception had always been at the root of all her problems.

Chapters 100-108 were a philosophy dump to make everything clear, the conclusion of Phos' arc, and a glimpse at a better world. Phos left much lighter, her remaining fragments like comets lightning up the day of other Phos-to-be's from other universes, finally content. Maybe things will go differently for them. Thematically, I think it's a very beautiful ending, and the author succeeded in portrayed everything she wanted to, though it took me a month of reflection and searching for different opinions to settle my thoughts on it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

7 by Dpsdps55 »»
Sep 11, 10:19 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 54 Discussion

Catalano - Feb 1, 2020

5 by nidoqueen106_2 »»
Sep 4, 9:03 PM

» Explanation of the ending?

UaEfAlCoN83 - Jun 15

6 by JaniSIr »»
Jul 31, 2:20 AM

» Volume 13 release date

Gemstone_Guy - Jun 28

2 by afx237v_7 »»
Jun 28, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 106 Discussion

Weebookey - Feb 24

27 by Amatsukaze24 »»
Jun 22, 3:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.