Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2023 12:27 AM

Oct 2016
Jesus Christ, that opening.

W h a t, well that explains a lot, it's funny how it was right in our faces though last episode, Kiruko is a man inside. Though does he mean that in a trans way or that he's literally a different person and his consciousness ended up in Kiruko's body, based on what we saw so far, it seems to be the latter, the question is how the fuck. 

Also, what the fuck is that school/facility/heaven, those kids are superhuman and very horny. 

Ah didn't see that coming though, the Inn Lady was actually protecting the monster, not the other way around. What I can see coming from a mile away though, was Inn Lady dying.

RIP to Maru though, your love ain't gonna bear fruit. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 9, 2023 1:05 AM
Jan 2020
Helltaker said:
So Kiruko is trans well that should make things interesting...

Huh! , how is she trans ?, she said she or he has the body of a girl and mind of a boy , how is this trans ? there's obviously body swapping going here . i just can't comprehend how you guys go to that conclusion.
Apr 9, 2023 1:16 AM

Oct 2007
I really hope that gender bender backstory does pay off, at the moment it seems not really needed for thte character development, but it's only two eps in so we will see
Apr 9, 2023 1:27 AM

Jul 2021
SO_Nu said:
Helltaker said:

Huh! , how is she trans ?, she said she or he has the body of a girl and mind of a boy , how is this trans ? there's obviously body swapping going here . i just can't comprehend how you guys go to that conclusion.

Exactly. Episode discussions are so often filled with misrepresentations, and I came to this one particularly because I knew I would find this.

A post apocalyptic setting where monsters roam the night, rechargeable batteries pistols shoot lasers and some people have supernatural strength, but somehow a girl who looks at herself in the mirror like she's looking at someone else, and was involved in a mysterious incident where a boy died is trans.

Confirmation bias. Everything has to be based on modern western ideology. But somehow people don't realize that the show, by making children that have been raised in a walled, dystopian, experimental environment have homosexual tendencies, is basically saying: "the world must have gone to shit, and you have to be really messed up, in a really bad, dark place to do that kind of thing". It's Shinsekai Yori all over again.
Apr 9, 2023 1:40 AM
Sep 2021
The heaven which was thought to be the heaven, wasn't. The journey is still continuing.
Apr 9, 2023 1:47 AM
Jul 2016
This adaptation is just too good... The animation is amazing and the little bits that are cut just make the pacing so much better.

I am enjoying the anime so much that I feel like re-watching the first episode after seeing the second.

Also just a side note but since some of you are discussing the trans thing, I don't think it's a bad thing to make that assumption based on what Kiruko said. There's no need to make a big deal out of misrepresentations or even illogical comments. It really isn't a big deal unless you want to make it one.
Apr 9, 2023 1:55 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yeah there's no way that that lady wasn't going to die right there

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 9, 2023 1:56 AM

Aug 2014
SO_Nu said:
Helltaker said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. Kiruko literally said my body is a woman's while my brain is a man's but they somehow get to conclusion that she is trans.
Apr 9, 2023 2:59 AM

May 2020
Another amazing episode shit this is best show this season so far and think it’s going to stay that way hopefully it’s so unexpected and I love it
Fun Things Are Fun - Yui Hirasawa
Apr 9, 2023 3:15 AM

Feb 2022
Things sped up in a weird way at the end it was hard to follow. One second their in tomato heaven next it quickly cuts to them on a big boat, which I find strange that it's still running.

I have a feeling this show is going to rely strongly on edgy sexual moments and making the viewer potentially uncomfortable with some of it going forward. The weird vibes with the kids at least that's the impression I get.
Apr 9, 2023 4:31 AM
Dec 2022
Oh second episode escalated the way I predicted but how the tomato heaven village not getting eaten by those monsters, interesting indeed🤔; I don't think they will pulled up same method that inn owner already showed us if that's the case it will be kinda boring. So let's see 😉
Apr 9, 2023 4:38 AM
Oct 2022
Another great episode. but I never expected that confession..😂😂😂
Apr 9, 2023 4:38 AM
Sep 2020
deg said:
the main girl is transgender then damn i thought they will have romance but maybe she is bisexual instead in later episodes

im almost sure the heaven they are talking about is that futuristic facility where kids are wondering if there is an outside world

i think the simpler explanation is that she just likes girls. It would be surprising if they would go so far as transgender stuff, but need to watch more to find out.
Apr 9, 2023 4:43 AM
Feb 2015
ZenielDanaku said:
Well, my suspicions were correct: Kiruko is a boy in a girl body. Somewhat representative of the actual society that we (here in Arg) live in.

Also, I think that the "Tengoku" they are looking for is the institution where the children are. I mean, is the only technological advanced place we've seen so far.

Softhenic03 said:
And of course, “I’m a girl from outside, but a boy from inside”, the kind of twist arrived lol. Explains that Kiruko mirror scene from last episode.

Hmm, I'm not sure. If Kiruko has been a boy in a girl body since birth, then the mirror scene makes no sense because he has seen his female naked body a lot of times (presumably) and wouldn't find it so attractive as to try to kiss the mirror. That scene, for me, implies that while Kiruko is a girl now, up until recently he was a boy. I mean, the world has both magic and advanced technology, a consciousness transfer seems feasible.

yeah i lean on to that theory rather than Kiruko being a regular trans as we know in the normal world, it must have something to do with some mind/body swapping shit system, im not really sure if i like that tho... but the series overall is very appealing, especially in the visuals department
Apr 9, 2023 4:53 AM
Dec 2022
The opening was hell of a banger. Probably the best opening in this season. The song has vibe, the animation is top tier, the camera angling needless to say just chef's 😘
Apr 9, 2023 5:26 AM
Jun 2021
I am still thinking if the girl is connected to one of the children in the facility but i am confused
Apr 9, 2023 5:39 AM

May 2015
D-A-W said:
Unexpected trans king. Also, the animation of that old man smoking went way too hard for just an insert shot. I'm really digging this show! Also the OP slaps, and it slaps hard.

I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated SHE'S NOT TRANS!
Apr 9, 2023 6:53 AM
Feb 2023
billybub said:
Because of their biases, in a world with monsters and battery powered ray guns they assume he's trans instead of assuming he's like that because of a supernatural or science fiction reason(which would make more sense because of the setting and world). Just don't bother with that kind of people.
Apr 9, 2023 7:24 AM

May 2015
Isaacx321 said:
billybub said:
Because of their biases, in a world with monsters and battery powered ray guns they assume he's trans instead of assuming he's like that because of a supernatural or science fiction reason(which would make more sense because of the setting and world). Just don't bother with that kind of people.

Agreed. Though it's annoying to see a certain crowd trying to hijack one of your favorite manga's characters. What's really funny is I promise you these same people will be on here bitching up a storm in a few weeks lol
Apr 9, 2023 8:12 AM
Apr 2021
Ok first off the animation in the first half of this episode went CRAZYYYYYYYY I like how when they add the black bars you can tell the animation is about to pick it

And secondly…SHE’S A WHATTTTTTT?!?!?!?😳😭😭😭😭

Like I was NOT expecting that twist at the end and that explains why she I mean he was looking at the mirror in the first episode he was surprised at the body he’s in😮😮😮
Apr 9, 2023 8:16 AM
Apr 2021
GTRaijin said:
SO_Nu said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. Kiruko literally said my body is a woman's while my brain is a man's but they somehow get to conclusion that she is trans.

These ppl want recognition so baddddd they’ll grasp at anything atp it’s funny😭 like his mind is a man and has a literal body of a woman if he was trans he’d have a man’s body but identify as a woman like Kiku from One piece or Ruka from Steins Gate
Apr 9, 2023 8:31 AM

Mar 2016
Loving this anime's feel, the atmosphere, story so far and it's varied characters, of course Kiruko's line "My body is a woman, but my mind is a man" was a good twist, she's more than likely a clone, considering that same-face woman in that picture...but we'll see.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Apr 9, 2023 8:52 AM

Sep 2013
Really liked the pilot, action was good in episode 2 but yeah i don't think that's for me dropped.
Deep dark fantasies
Apr 9, 2023 9:08 AM

Oct 2015
This anime is so good. The visuals, the animation, the characters and the plot. I look forward to seeing more of it I love it!
Apr 9, 2023 9:26 AM
May 2009
Pulled the old Rope a Dope with the monster, but overall it was good. Also What the Heck is that ending.
Apr 9, 2023 9:49 AM

Mar 2008
billybub said:
Isaacx321 said:

Agreed. Though it's annoying to see a certain crowd trying to hijack one of your favorite manga's characters. What's really funny is I promise you these same people will be on here bitching up a storm in a few weeks lol

It's not "bias" and there's no "hijack", it's just the natural rational expectation. That is the reason why the revelation about the brain transplant is a twist.
Also, you're just talking like this because you know what the character actually said. Everyone else that didn't read the manga or seen some comment here in this forum pointing that the dialogue was mistranslated will, naturally, think the same, that the character explained he has gender dysphoria which, by the way, is something not uncommon and natural.
Apr 9, 2023 10:06 AM

May 2015
PaninaManina said:
billybub said:

It's not "bias" and there's no "hijack", it's just the natural rational expectation. That is the reason why the revelation about the brain transplant is a twist.
Also, you're just talking like this because you know what the character actually said. Everyone else that didn't read the manga or seen some comment here in this forum pointing that the dialogue was mistranslated will, naturally, think the same, that the character explained he has gender dysphoria which, by the way, is something not uncommon and natural.

Body swapping has been a staple of anime and manga for years. If the 1st think you think of in a Sci-fi show when you see it is "that character is trans" you most certainly do have a bias. I haven't seen who the localizeris yet but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if this line was purposely mistranslated. It's fine though, all the tourists celebrating this will be on here bitching up a storm about "problematic" shit in a few weeks
Apr 9, 2023 10:45 AM

Dec 2016
FleX_eRRoR said:
why's nobody talking about the ninjutsu the girl used like its nothing. it took a whole day for Naruto to learn it.

Also later other guy fell from pretty high but didn't died or even injured... definitely there is plot twist here.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.98/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.168/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.89/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.66/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.55/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Apr 9, 2023 10:45 AM

Dec 2016
GTRaijin said:
SO_Nu said:

@SO_Nu @Treyv0n

Having mind/brain of different gender than being born is literally definition of being trans, also someone having female body and mind of a man is also trans. There are trans man (born woman) and trans woman (born man)... I know in media and pop culture trans woman are more recognisable/used but trans man also exists, this is not that hard to understand.

billybub said:
PaninaManina said:

Body swapping has been a staple of anime and manga for years. If the 1st think you think of in a Sci-fi show when you see it is "that character is trans" you most certainly do have a bias. I haven't seen who the localizeris yet but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if this line was purposely mistranslated. It's fine though, all the tourists celebrating this will be on here bitching up a storm about "problematic" shit in a few weeks

like @PaninaManina said, this is natural conclusion based on information that this anime give us so far, this anime didn't showed indication where brain transplant/consciousness transfer is possible in this world, especially in post apocalyptic world where access to HRT and surgeries is limited or impossible (presumably outside of "Tomato Haven"/Facility).

"Body swapping has been a staple of anime and manga for years." Power ups also has been a staple of anime and manga for years, so this mean we should expect one of MCs go Super saiyan?
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
Apr 9, 2023 11:06 AM

Jan 2021
Wow the fanservice in this anime is big lmao. I like the fighting scenes though, those ones impressed me. I love how the anime puts those black bars to let it look like an action film or something like that. R.I.P. to the manager who was running the place, she got killed by her own son i guess. At least the monster got killed because of Maru's skills. 

Maru & Kiruko paddling hard because they're afraid that crocodiles would get them, but they made it out safely. The farm where they stumbled upon looks nice enough tho, which is nice. At least they both got some rest and to eat, they decided its best to return to Tokyo by boat. That confession though from Maru, that came out of nowhere and the dude even went in it lol. Kiruko thinks that she's a man in a woman's body, which is totally fine. 

Interesting to see where they land next.
Apr 9, 2023 11:13 AM
Mar 2023
ep 2 was very good, but i hate that thing "imma woman but my head is a man!"
fuck off
i just no dropped one piece cuz that happens after 1k ep, in 2 is good enough
Apr 9, 2023 11:38 AM
Nov 2022
so is she a lesbian or a trans?
Apr 9, 2023 11:38 AM

Feb 2017
well the beginning of this episode was quite chaotic LMAOO

somehow that reveal at the end didn't surprise me. well lets hope we get some kind of backstory or explanation in the coming episodes & that they don't just leave it at this

placeholder text
Apr 9, 2023 11:39 AM

May 2021
Least than average episode, we are learning more about the motives from each character though, apparently male MC is a quasi-rapists, disgusting... OP is weak and the comedy isn't close to be funny, let's see how this keeps developing, 4.1/10.
Apr 9, 2023 11:43 AM

May 2015
Nieznajomy43 said:
GTRaijin said:

@SO_Nu @Treyv0n

Having mind/brain of different gender than being born is literally definition of being trans, also someone having female body and mind of a man is also trans. There are trans man (born woman) and trans woman (born man)... I know in media and pop culture trans woman are more recognisable/used but trans man also exists, this is not that hard to understand.

billybub said:

like @PaninaManina said, this is natural conclusion based on information that this anime give us so far, this anime didn't showed indication where brain transplant/consciousness transfer is possible in this world, especially in post apocalyptic world where access to HRT and surgeries is limited or impossible (presumably outside of "Tomato Haven"/Facility).

"Body swapping has been a staple of anime and manga for years." Power ups also has been a staple of anime and manga for years, so this mean we should expect one of MCs go Super saiyan?

It's only a "natural conclusion" if you're biased towards having a character be represented as trans.

B. Total non sequitur
Apr 9, 2023 11:45 AM

Aug 2017
Nieznajomy43 said:
GTRaijin said:

@SO_Nu @Treyv0n

billybub said:

Body swapping has been a staple of anime and manga for years.  If the 1st think you think of in a Sci-fi show when you see it is "that character is trans" you most certainly do have a bias.  I haven't seen who the localizeris yet but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if this line was purposely mistranslated.  It's fine though, all the tourists celebrating this will be on here bitching up a storm about "problematic" shit in a few weeks

like  @PaninaManina said, this is natural conclusion based on information that this anime give us so far, this anime didn't showed indication where brain transplant/consciousness transfer is possible in this world, especially in post apocalyptic world where access to HRT and surgeries is limited or impossible (presumably outside of "Tomato Haven"/Facility).

This entire discussion reveals how poorly I understand trans people. My first explanation about Kiruko was about mind swapping, though I didn't express it exactly like that.
Apr 9, 2023 12:16 PM
Mar 2015
At least she died thinking her son still was alive and loving her
Apr 9, 2023 12:36 PM
May 2009
Quite a nice story in the second episode. Bringing in some mystery to the plot too
Apr 9, 2023 12:47 PM
Dec 2022
all thimg in the ep was high
Apr 9, 2023 12:57 PM
Jan 2022
The colouring,The animation,visuals all were top notch production I.G can pull something like this is actually new for me . Let's just story pays of just like it animation .
Apr 9, 2023 1:20 PM
Oct 2017
CrossRatio said:
Lots of cryptic informations. So,
-A great disaster happened 15 years ago
-Onee chan has some backstory involving racecar 5 years ago (probably)
-Onee chan's gender is f'ed up
-People can turn into man eaters

A wild guess from the info frol this ep would be the brother got her sisters body. This would explain why shes a man on the inside. Might also explain the confusion with the age, might have been a 2 year age gap.
Apr 9, 2023 1:22 PM

Dec 2016
ZenielDanaku said:

This entire discussion reveals how poorly I understand trans people. My first explanation about Kiruko was about mind swapping, though I didn't express it exactly like that.

Honestly it is fine/good conclusion and looking at people who already spoiled without using spoiler tag is true.
Also personally I have nothing against your interpretation. I think it's good, I like it.

What annoys me is people automatically dismissing more "grounded" explanation which is Kiruko being trans... and spoiling plot twists because of that.
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
Apr 9, 2023 1:54 PM
Jul 2017
okey we have good material here I guess
Apr 9, 2023 2:30 PM
Feb 2014
very interesting
Apr 9, 2023 2:39 PM

Aug 2014
Zero_Two_0_2_ said:
so is she a lesbian or a trans?

Neither of those.
Apr 9, 2023 2:46 PM

Nov 2020
Considering Kiruko has killed his brother in a race, like the man of the village has said, it wouldn't be crazy to say that (with all the supernatural stuff that happens in this anime such as the girl that went full ninja at the start of the episode and the monster) maybe her brother's soul has been absorbed in some way by her or something like that. As many people said, she is not trans so this is one of the posible theories that I have.

Lmao, it reminds me of Inazuma Eleven
Apr 9, 2023 3:03 PM

Oct 2017
Dang I thought this show couldn't get better than first episode but i was wrong
2 episodes in and I already think this is my favourite show this season. (and it's not even close)
A lot of people think Jigokuraku gonna be the best show but 2 episodes in I feel that show direction/story is pretty generic.

Love the animation, direction, atmosphere, visual, characters and story so much.
First battle they already not shy away from the brutality of the monsters and killing.
Also the visual, I really love how cinematic the whole show feels, like watching an anime movie.
The show use a lot of visual telling to present its world instead of just telling you straight away what's going on with the world and its setting.
In a sense this show reminds me a lot about Made in Abyss.  

Also the two main casts are so likable.  Didn't expect Maru to be this straight forward and confess as early as episode 2.
And then that trans twist in the end lolz

PS: Also Disney can play this? XD  It's so strange Disney steals the whole right to air this despite their target audience. 

deg said:
also if Kiruko is a man at heart then that means they are lusting over her girl body lol hence the attempt at kissing the mirror in episode 1

Now it all make sense!

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MiraApr 12, 2023 3:45 PM
Apr 9, 2023 3:16 PM

Nov 2017
Whatta great episode! 2 main plot lines progressing well and will definitely collide at some future episodes. Kiruko is what lol :D so mind swapping or just lesbian?
Apr 9, 2023 3:20 PM

Aug 2022
uh, putting aside the fact this thread has devolved into a walking spoiler landmine, this episode was amazing just like the first one. the OP is gorgeous, animation beautiful as always, mystery and intrigue being set up super well. I actually didn't make the connection between Maru and Tokio looking the same until this episode - I swear they just added Maru's eyelashes in this ep??? maybe I wasn't paying attention.

people have made comparisons between the institution parts and Yakusoku no Neverland, but personally the post-apocalypse exploration parts remind me of a more interesting/competent (and of course way more sci-fi oriented) Nihon Chinbotsu 2020. just in terms of finding ways to traverse a hostile environment, scavenging for food... plus the introduction of

the kiss felt like it kind of came out of nowhere, but that's small potatoes I think. I'm SUPER invested in this one.

Apr 9, 2023 3:29 PM

Oct 2017
luxapocalypse said:
uh, putting aside the fact this thread has devolved into a walking spoiler landmine, this episode was amazing just like the first one. the OP is gorgeous, animation beautiful as always, mystery and intrigue being set up super well. I actually didn't make the connection between Maru and Tokio looking the same until this episode - I swear they just added Maru's eyelashes in this ep??? maybe I wasn't paying attention.

people have made comparisons between the institution parts and Yakusoku no Neverland, but personally the post-apocalypse exploration parts remind me of a more interesting/competent (and of course way more sci-fi oriented) Nihon Chinbotsu 2020. just in terms of finding ways to traverse a hostile environment, scavenging for food... plus the introduction of

the kiss felt like it kind of came out of nowhere, but that's small potatoes I think. I'm SUPER invested in this one.

Tbh this show reminds me of Made in Abyss first season. 
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2023

468 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 2, 2:19 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

477 by xZabuzax »»
May 31, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 20, 2023

299 by xZabuzax »»
May 29, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2023

244 by xZabuzax »»
May 29, 5:48 PM

» Kiriko and Haruki are blood related?

abuudai - May 16

10 by P1Sanctum »»
May 22, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.