Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 6, 2021 4:59 PM

Dec 2018
borderliner said:
HistoricalMaize said:

I am saying that the author is repeating what he did in the previous season letter by letter instead of elevating it further but if you really want to deny that fine.
I find it amazing that the only guy that was able to give me a convincing argument in this whole thread was also the only one that did not resort to passive agrressive bullshit what a coincidence.

Well, you weren't saying that at the start, so you're not great at being consistent, but just like your first statement, I'm saying your latest is flat out wrong.

You really need to look up what passive-aggressive actually means.

And why would I want to convince you of anything?

So are you just typing for the sake of typing? if two people with oposing opinions are talking to each other about said opinions they are trying to convince each other right? if not why are you typing?

"(even you figured that out)" clearly this is not passive agressiveness right? I am sure you will say the problem was my interpretation of what you wrote right? unless of course you mean that you are just being flat out agressive then sure.
Nov 6, 2021 4:59 PM
Aug 2021
please tell me that the last frame wasn't real
Nov 6, 2021 5:12 PM
Feb 2018
Great episode but I have a couple questions.

1. When the 86 are all eating, and Theo brings up Lena, why does Theo say "Don't tell me he doesn't realize it..." to Shinei at the end? I get that her and her country are basically done for, but it seems they're implying something more

2. Wtf was that picture Nina drew? I get that she's pissed at Shinei (for the obvious reason), but I genuinely can't tell what the drawing is lol
HueBrgleNov 6, 2021 5:15 PM
Nov 6, 2021 5:17 PM
Jan 2015
HueBrgle said:

1. When the 86 are all eating, and Theo brings up Lena, why is Anju so adamant that they shouldn't bring her up? And why does Theo say "Don't tell me he doesn't realize it..." to Shinei? I get that her and her country are basically done for, but it seems they're implying something more

2. Wtf was that picture Nina drew? I get that she's pissed at Shinei (for the obvious reason), but I genuinely can't tell what the drawing is lol

1. They're all aware that's he has special feelings regarding her and considering that she might be dead due to the Legion attacking the Republic, Anju doesn't want to upset him or make him worry.

2. I believe it was a headless reaper, may be wrong tho
My Queens

Nov 6, 2021 5:20 PM
May 2008
HueBrgle said:

1. When the 86 are all eating, and Theo brings up Lena, why does Theo say "Don't tell me he doesn't realize it..." to Shinei at the end? I get that her and her country are basically done for, but it seems they're implying something more

1. They basically think that Lena is dead.

2. I have no idea about the middle part, but the red scribbles surrounding it are 100% dead people. So I guess it's Shin and there are a lot of dead people around him.
Nov 6, 2021 5:20 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The Shin/Lena scene was incredible, loved how that was directed.
Nov 6, 2021 5:38 PM

Jan 2020
A random Federacy soldier: "No one here is replaceable."
Also him: "If death is so attractive to them, then why don't we let them have it?" *sends them to a mission where their death is 100% guaranteed*

This episode really shows how 86 will forever be treated as monsters even though their desire to fights stems from not wanting to be cowards and letting people down, the way their own nation did to them.

It all started with the Federacy saving them because they're "kids" only for it to send them back to the battlefield because they "owe" them. Not a very surprising outcome.

A-1 did such a great job building up for the next episode, I'm really looking forward to it.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Nov 6, 2021 5:57 PM

Apr 2015
The predictions were fulfilled but this does not mean that the entire war ends yet they must reach the factories of the legion after defeating the Morpho that emotion I hope that in the next episode Shinei can communicate with Milize
Nov 6, 2021 6:09 PM

Sep 2018
HistoricalMaize said:
borderliner said:

Well, you weren't saying that at the start, so you're not great at being consistent, but just like your first statement, I'm saying your latest is flat out wrong.

You really need to look up what passive-aggressive actually means.

And why would I want to convince you of anything?

So are you just typing for the sake of typing? if two people with oposing opinions are talking to each other about said opinions they are trying to convince each other right? if not why are you typing?

"(even you figured that out)" clearly this is not passive agressiveness right? I am sure you will say the problem was my interpretation of what you wrote right? unless of course you mean that you are just being flat out agressive then sure.

I'm typing because your arguments are incoherent nonsense, and that's worth countering.

And what exactly about any of your subsequent statements would you hold up as an example of you trying to convince me of anything?

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Nov 6, 2021 6:16 PM

Sep 2018
UTMAN said:
HueBrgle said:

2. I have no idea about the middle part, but the red scribbles surrounding it are 100% dead people. So I guess it's Shin and there are a lot of dead people around him.

You have to wonder where Nina was getting all the info for her to come up with this disturbing imagery

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Nov 6, 2021 6:34 PM
Aug 2017
Imagine creating such climax in the last episode just to give a bath of cold water with this absolute boring first 10minutes of episode.
I never expected that they would bring "a lot of people that i never seen to discuss the war table cliche". Would be easier to just say "hey I shot that bastard the attacked us, and we got two months until he comes back"

I was getting pissed until they finally made the revelation of why Shinei got mad and tried to kill himself that time.
That blue letter from his late friend's sister was cold. On her mind, he is a monster that took her brother away. Shinei dealing with that daily, must be just heavy as Gatsu sword.

After that, what an EPIC scene when from nowhere his dead comrades replied:
- It's because we are 86!!!
When that officer asked about why they're sending them in a suicide mission.

That had me rolling first, but then crying after.... Rip Lena man, you guys know the drill, when the red flowers are on the screen, it's because is already to late. What a great scene that was!

Also, i love how hypocrite the army is about 86 and how they embrace that. Top tier writing right there.

This episode is some of my favorite even knowing that the first 10 minutes were crazy boring lmao
Nov 6, 2021 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
So shin think that Lena is already dead ? and the letter make it worse. I wonder are shin really want to live now
Nov 6, 2021 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
that was a great episode, wondering what would happened to Lena after that fight, sadly no new episode next week hope they would keep their time to improve it so the quality of onwards episodes would be great!

removed-userNov 6, 2021 6:59 PM
Nov 6, 2021 7:02 PM

Oct 2019
I hope Lena and her team survive from the fall of republic :(
Nov 6, 2021 7:10 PM
May 2020
SoraSenpai said:
God damn this was the nuttiest episode yet!..

The only thing I didn't understand was the picture Drawn for Shin. It was definitely a piece of Eugene's mech but the picture was

I interpreted it as the destroyed face of Eugene, honestly this scene affected me as well a lot while watching.

I loved this episode as well, the moments between battlefield and silence for thoughts are always so meaningful in Shins characters development.
Nov 6, 2021 7:42 PM

Aug 2020
So the Morphos finally arrived... They are Legions but require a big charge time, are larger and can hurt people nearby by the impact. The biggest challenge of Shin right now, considering that he was sent in a suicide mission. Since he's "just" an 86... Vladilena is counting on him, and said that she didn't forget him, also to don't leave her. Shin didn't want any pity from the soldiers.

Nina was hurtful from Eugene's passing, and her words were eerie and impactful. They made Shinei even more sorrowful.

Great episode and anime.

Nov 6, 2021 7:48 PM

Aug 2021
It was upsetting to see Shin reading Nina's letter
It was also interesting to see Shin thinking about Lena and how the rest of the group were wondering if she was doing okay
Nov 6, 2021 7:49 PM
Aug 2016
Fuck Macel for manipulating little girl sadness for losing his brother to direct his bitterness to Shin

all my homies hate Marcel
Nov 6, 2021 7:50 PM

Aug 2012
SoraSenpai said:

The only thing I didn't understand was the picture Drawn for Shin. It was definitely a piece of Eugene's mech but the picture was weird.

It looks like Shin's decapitated body to me... since Nina wishes he died instead of her brother.
Moreover, the guy who saw Shin killing Eugene delivers the message to him, so he probably told her how he died.
Nov 6, 2021 7:59 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Holy shit..choked so bad seeing Shinei work through the human/trauma side of his existence.
Nov 6, 2021 8:35 PM

Sep 2018
lol, time to relegate Major Milize to supporting character in this 2nd season, Mods can you please change it? Cheers.

These 86 clowns need some counselling asap. These half baked attempts from the Federation at talking the 86ers out of fighting are hilarious as well, oh well, might as well use them now lol.

Still, wonderfully directed and animated once again. Can never fault it for that. A shame that the story is so mid.
GakutoDeathGlareNov 6, 2021 8:39 PM
Nov 6, 2021 8:38 PM

Feb 2021
Just wow, what an episode with all this buildup. Shin's mental health slowly declining, and the Republic being destroyed. The next episodes are gonna be a wild ride, really looking forward to it!

"𝘏𝘦𝘺, 𝘏𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘪... 𝘕𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳, 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘢 𝘸𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦."
⁻𝘕𝘢𝘯𝘢 𝘖𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘪
Nov 6, 2021 8:39 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Decent build-up episode to mark the half-way point.

The letter scene was well executed.
Nov 6, 2021 8:52 PM

Jul 2021
A great episode with wonderful direction and tons of buildups. It's painful to see what Shin have been thru
Nov 6, 2021 8:57 PM

Jun 2013
Great episode! I'm always glad on how 86 is directed so well and closely to the LN. I got a bit emotional and sad when they showed Shin's monologue with his past company members. It was also nice to see how we got a more closer look towards Shin's own feelings and that he actually does care for Lena despite how his exterior shows. Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 6, 2021 9:08 PM

Dec 2020
nina my fucking god 😭😭 we got to know why shin was like .. That while fighting the latest battle now. damn i knew there was something wrong with that smile

that sceneeee with the deceased 86 talking to him in his imagination, that ended with lena BRO no tears flowed from me but it sure felt like i made a river from crying. hurt so baddd
Nov 6, 2021 9:26 PM
Dec 2020
Still liking it but it was slower and the pacing seems to jump then fall and repeat that pattern.
Nov 6, 2021 9:33 PM
Jun 2020
So it means they are counting recap as ep 7.
Nov 6, 2021 9:56 PM

Aug 2020
The message of Nina to Shin is depressing to see, so thats why Shin did go insane. So far so good

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Nov 6, 2021 10:51 PM

Aug 2010
This episode makes me think the 86 is just being stubborn now, they really should live like normal kids.. the war must've been damaging especially for Shin and it clearly is causing more harm for him.
Nov 6, 2021 11:02 PM

Nov 2021
This is without a doubt objectively Best Anime of this Season next to Mushoku Tensei Part 2
Nov 6, 2021 11:21 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This is made, so well, holy shit. The animation is good, above-average, but nothing amazing. But they work with what they got (which again, is already more than decent), and turn it into art. And the soundtrack doesn't slap, it uppercuts you into space

86 Part 1: I sleep.
86 Part 2: REAL SHIT??!!

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 6, 2021 11:22 PM

Feb 2014
Blaming someone is always the easiest eh. Nina's message to Shin triggered his depression. In such a cruel world with war at your doorstep, every action comes with consequences.

The way the military pushed it all on the Norchlidt squad saying dying is a part of the job was the nicest way they could say to win the war for their people and not the them. This really was one of the hardest hitting episode with all those flashbacks and the state of the world.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 6, 2021 11:40 PM
Apr 2013
Farabeuf said:
Another gripping and sad episode. It seems the 86 will never be free of the chains of their sad upbringing.

ollythirteen said:

I know a lot of people don't care much for her character but the show needs more Lena to balance out all the 86 because there is A LOT of story not being shown on the San Magnolia side of things e.g. how the citizens react to a war they thought was being fought by AI when it reaches their doorstep, how the San Magnolia army that's being shown lazing about react etc.

I'm sure the LN readers know what's ahead and will say the payoff for all the patience will be worth it, but it's episode 6.

If the first cour is anything to go by we have just 5 episodes left.....

That said, the story still stands well as is. My only pet peeve is the loli character that continues to feel so out of place here. It irks me every-time she opens her mouth.

No question, as the show stands now it has been excellent stuff all through. My curiosity for the story we are yet to get is just gnawing at me, hence the gripey post.

Man, ever since it was revealed Shin-ei (wow, just noticed his name could be read as "shinei" or die) could hear the voices of the legion and the legion have a ... biological component to them (dead soldier's brains), my belief has been suspended in zero gravity much longer than the 11 minutes Jeff Bezos and co. experienced back in July.

Wiser-than-their-years lolis pale in comparison! lol

Nov 6, 2021 11:41 PM

May 2021
They cut corners for sure in this episode. The story just regurgitated what have been done before (Oh yeah we live in war so all we do is fight, so revolutionary), so nothing new other than obvious developments and the build up. I would have liked a more sensible approach to the short hair blonde girl (How is she called again?), she seemed like an interesting character but I guess she will just be discount Lena for the rest of the story. The visuals with the dead 86 and Nina was extremely low, but I guess it was needed to give something easy to consume because the episode was a snoozefest all around
Correctable said:
I hope Lena and her team survive from the fall of republic :(

Do you seriously think they will let Lena die that early in the story? Without meeting again Shin? Seems farfetched, the character of Lena is telegraphed, they are not going to do anything brave with it

Nov 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Jan 2018
The starting was intense. It looks like the Legion finally got a hold of the Republic of San Magnolia. They deserve it though. This was a long time coming. I'm just surprised this happened so early into the series.

Previously it was mostly just Lena who wasn’t sure if her Spearhead squadron was still alive or dead. Now the 86 aren't sure if their 'Major' lives or not. Interesting uncertainty dynamic.

No new episode next week? That's a bit disappointing but seeing how high quality last episode was if this means we'll get more episodes like this later then I'm not complaining.
Nov 7, 2021 12:03 AM

Jul 2016
Lena practically battling in hell yet we get another uninteresting build-up episode with Shinei and co. instead. Okay.

So as in Part 1, there is another suicide mission for our 86s to go, huh? Well... let's see, Shinei surviving is already a given since he and Lena still have to reunite so the real question here is if one of his friends is gonna bite the dust for real this time.

Oh! And by the way, FUCK Marcel. Imagine being such a scumbag you have to manipulate a heartbroken little girl to direct more of your nonsensical hatred towards a guy you barely know.
Nov 7, 2021 12:25 AM
Apr 2018
(16:20)
"I'm left behind... always."
"I won't let you die."

(18:35) "I'm grateful that you saved me. But that doesn't give you the right to pity me."

"Well, we're going 'cause we're EIGHTY-SIX."
Nov 7, 2021 1:58 AM
Mar 2021
I thought hearing Lena's voice meant she didn't make it :/ It's going to be a long 2 weeks
Nov 7, 2021 1:59 AM
May 2008
borderliner said:
UTMAN said:

You have to wonder where Nina was getting all the info for her to come up with this disturbing imagery

Probably Marcel told her all kinds of crazy stories, being a Reaper and such.
Nov 7, 2021 3:31 AM

Dec 2008
Finally the Republic reaped what they sow, lol. But too bad about everyones destiny who put up a decent fight, but it was bound to be of no use with the technology and low maintenance they had done on their equipment. Still was wondering why no Legion unit wasn't crawling through the scenery, was there another town to raid nearby? I guess Lena made it somehow in some cozy bunker with a supply of food and wine.

Fuck You Nina!? maybe Shinei was in no position to execute your brother in his last moments, but your brother was already as good as dead and nothing could be done about it.

I'm not too shocked that 86 are send on the next daredevil mission, but considering the weak performance of the regular troops in the recent event, it is probably the better choice to send experienced troops. And I honestly doubt that it won't work.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2021 3:36 AM

Oct 2008
oh look here we go again! Eighty-Six is fanatic against Death's doors! but let me guess, Lena would interfere with their Deaths huh...predictable...or maybe?
4/5.

Nov 7, 2021 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
Wtf?! Please tell me that's not it?! I was waiting for the fall of the republic since season 1 and they gave us like 3 minute total screen-time of it happening/ending? I hope we'll get more in the future (from Lena's perspective perhaps), otherwise mega disappointed.

When the infamous railgun turned out to be a Gustav Gun, I had the same expression as the avatar of the user above me.
Nov 7, 2021 7:05 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic episode! We are now at the beginning of volume 3 and we are now building up to the large scale offensive. It's great that they showed a little bit of what happened to the republic, it was only a matter of time before their way of "fighting" the legion breaks.

It's amazing how they showed Shin's mental state right now and what can I say, it's definitely not looking good, everyone always leaves him behind, why is he always the only one that gets left behind? And the letters from Nina definitely does not fucking help. It was hearing Lena's voice that pulled him out of it when he was going berserk last episode, but now he doesn't even know if she's still alive, even though it was her that said to not leave her behind. Pain.

What's even more painful is that there's no episode next week, well that's 2 weeks of depression. I hope that's enough time for A-1 to bring us another banger episode. Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 7, 2021 7:15 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode once again.We got to see how Lena is holding the defence of the Republic.The offensive against the Morpho was being built up this episode.And 86 is called to lead this mission.

Shin's mental turmoil is portrayed this episode,Nina's letter was sad and distressing.

Also we got to see how Lena is the emotional anchorage of Shin.Also the cliffhanger at the end.

So no episode next week.Visual commentary episode next week.I hope the break helps the quality of this anime even more.

Nov 7, 2021 7:22 AM

Aug 2013
Shin...

Appreciate the episode still managing to make me smile with that last Theo bit near the end though.
No fucking way is Lena dead.
Nov 7, 2021 7:35 AM

Oct 2020
Another episode with the spotlight on Shin. A lot is going through Shin's head; The way he interprets things and the suffering going on in his head is extraordinary. This episode provided a build-up for something grand but, next week is a special visual commentary episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2021 7:55 AM

Feb 2016
Last two episodes are just fillers. I don't like it. They are overfocusing on Nouzen. What about other characters? No character progress at this cour. I wanted to see other characters more than him. 3/10
Nov 7, 2021 8:05 AM
Apr 2021
Aeoness said:
Last two episodes are just fillers. I don't like it. They are overfocusing on Nouzen. What about other characters? No character progress at this cour. I wanted to see other characters more than him. 3/10

Understandable if you didn't like the focus but how were they fillers?? The plot is progressing by the day. But you'd be disappointed to know that it's still gonna be focusing on Shin.

The other 86ers are in the same predicament as him, just that they're tightly bonded and still agree if it has to end, they'll all go out together.
Nov 7, 2021 8:24 AM

Apr 2020
Pretty good episode with a lot of things to take in. Looks like the Morpho strike was the one that killed a lot of people in the aftermath of Episode 5. And it seems that the Republic has been infiltrated, bad but good for them.

Our five main leads are now being used on a suicidal mission. On one hand, because Shin is their leader and he has psychic powers to know where the Legion units are, on the other....cos they're 86ers. A lot of dialogue, but all n all it's another buildup episode for what's to come...let's see what that will be. At the end where the Republic is shown destroyed are the vibes I am about to get for Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

535 by riwandha »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Poll: » 86 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2021

340 by HYPERCOE »»
May 15, 12:11 PM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

22 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 11:53 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2021

239 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 9:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.