Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2018 10:38 PM
Jul 2017
I watched season 1 of Highschool dxd but I never got back into watching it, it's been a year now and I'm thinking about it since season 4 came out. Should I restart and get back into watching it ? Is it worth watching ?
Apr 10, 2018 10:45 PM
Apr 2018
really good episode I give score 3.8/10
Apr 10, 2018 10:45 PM
Feb 2018
So can someone explain to me what all they changed/ retconed from Borne. Its been a really long time and I can't remember whats different but i Know its there. Other than the Valkyrie not joining Rias' family (which I'm kinda disappointed about)
Apr 10, 2018 10:48 PM

Nov 2015
SPEERS said:
Kinoxi said:
Tannin got a considerable size decrease, wasn't he described as nearly 10 meters tall?

He said he could control his size. Although I still think he'd look better as an actual dragon, and not a bipedal one.
Oh yea, completely forgot he is also half devil, so changing his appearance is par for the course.
And I agree, I've never liked the aesthetics of humanoid dragons
Apr 10, 2018 10:48 PM
Apr 2018
Kinoxi said:
So glad they decided to abandon the storyline from the end of season 3 and adapt directly form the novels.

Oppai Dragon song cracked me up as always, cudos for that.

Tannin got a considerable size decrease, wasn't he described as nearly 10 meters tall?

Really hoping they jump straight to the hero arc next week and just skip the events from Vol 7. Issei vs Sairaorg can't come soon enough

Tannin he have ability to change he size body become big or small
Apr 10, 2018 10:51 PM

Nov 2015
Leviathans_Iris said:
So can someone explain to me what all they changed/ retconed from Borne. Its been a really long time and I can't remember whats different but i Know its there. Other than the Valkyrie not joining Rias' family (which I'm kinda disappointed about)
Hard to give you an accurate list of changes this early on, but I think it's safe to assume that at the very least the last few episodes of s3 got completely scrapped. Also Rossweisse wasn't part of Rias' household during the events of this episode, but she will be joining soon after.
Apr 10, 2018 11:03 PM

Dec 2012
berketozlu said:
I think the action scenes are better in this art style. But it'll take time to get use to it. Also their faithfulling to the LN is good. I think im gonna love it !

The action scenes were definitely a step up from episode 9 of Season 3, but the general directing of the story was done poorly imo.

1. More than once, when a character was speaking, the camera was angled at an entire group of characters rather than the speaker; this was really confusing. I had to shift my gaze around the screen to figure out who was talking a few times. I don't recall having this kind of experience before with seasons 1->3.

2. Similar to the above, I don't think they gave individual characters much screen time. They repeatedly opted to collect as many characters as they could onto the screen. The end result was a lack of expression/intimacy from the characters.

3. I think Shalba's attack against Issei (the one that was divided) was well-complemented by an attack-phrase. i.e. he should've announced the name of his attack before attacking.

4. That eye-catch intermission was lame. Cmon.

I hope that episode 1 doesn't give me so many reasons to complain.

edit: yea, I just compared the two episodes. Season 3's episode 9 gives individual characters way more screen time. I hope that doesn't change--we've become accustomed to it.
NainApr 10, 2018 11:17 PM
Apr 11, 2018 12:02 AM

Jul 2012
I'm honestly amazed how so many of you say you're fans of the series yet you don't appreciate what the hell is going on in this episode or why the art direction changed.... This episode was great. No complaints. Because a lot of you have no clue whats going on and cant take the time to look up information I'll give a very brief overview.

1. This is a retcon episode.
2. Last season fucked the story up so bad near the end they felt the need to animate the proper story for this episode. Everything that transpired after Juggernaut Mode NEVER HAPPENED! (Technically did in some parts but they jumped like 4 novels ahead to do so. Not that much of a game changer though). This episode corrected that MISTAKE.
3. The studio that made the previous seasons (TNK) basically told Ishibumi to go fuck himself and did their own story without his permission. He told them not to. They didn't listen. Angry at what happened with season 3 and all their shenanigans, Ishibumi kicked TNK to the curb.
4. The art style is heavily based off the light novel, you know, the original source. Looks amazing.

So honestly, stfu, and be happy that we are getting a proper season that follows the original story with some great animation.

Ungrateful and unaware some of you are!
Apr 11, 2018 12:10 AM
Jun 2016
Petedj121 said:
I'm honestly amazed how so many of you say you're fans of the series yet you don't appreciate what the hell is going on in this episode or why the art direction changed.... This episode was great. No complaints. Because a lot of you have no clue whats going on and cant take the time to look up information I'll give a very brief overview.

2. Last season fucked the story up so bad near the end they felt the need to animate the proper story for this episode. Everything that transpired after Juggernaut Mode NEVER HAPPENED! (Technically did in some parts but they jumped like 4 novels ahead to do so. Not that much of a game changer though). This episode corrected that MISTAKE.
3. The studio that made the previous seasons (TNK) basically told Ishibumi to go fuck himself and did their own story without his permission. He told them not to. They didn't listen. Angry at what happened with season 3 and all their shenanigans, Ishibumi kicked TNK to the curb.
4. The art style is heavily based off the light novel, you know, the original source. Looks amazing.

So honestly, stfu, and be happy that we are getting a proper season that follows the original story with some great animation.

People aren't necessarily ungrateful. They have simply gotten used to the old art style of TNK, and since a lot of us has never read the LN, this art style change is very weird to us, and is gonna take some getting used to. Personally I think the way BorN handled episode 9 was kinda better than what the LN did, because using the Oppai Dragon Song to calm him down INSTEAD of Rias (whom he obviously loves and cares about) is just silly and kinda stupid in my opinion.

HOWEVER, I'm still very excited for the new season and I'm sure I'll get used to the art style eventually.
Apr 11, 2018 12:22 AM
Apr 2018
What a let down....oooo,,, the previous ending was good ,great final and perfect.... Why is the plot changed... Why o why...
DXD HERO:LIKES=Pictures are more cute and nice. The plot was a let down
Here i am wondering what would become of dxd hero๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜“
Apr 11, 2018 12:22 AM
Jan 2017
The artwork has changed in a odd way. The faces were better in the previous artwork. The boobs seems out of proportion and as a recap episode it's good if you overlook these things.
Apr 11, 2018 12:33 AM
Jun 2016
Kushal_Ganguly said:
The artwork has changed in a odd way. The faces were better in the previous artwork. The boobs seems out of proportion and as a recap episode it's good if you overlook these things.

I mean yeah, the new art style is a lot closer to the Light Novels than the previous seasons. It's gonna take some getting used to, but I'm sure we'll learn to appreciate it as the season progresses. Luckily they didn't change any of the voice actors (which, in my opinion, would be a huge turn off) so that's all good.
Apr 11, 2018 1:06 AM

Apr 2008
zamiem said:
What a let down....oooo,,, the previous ending was good ,great final and perfect.... Why is the plot changed... Why o why...
Here i am wondering what would become of dxd hero๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜“

The previous ending was ABJECT trash I don't know what the fuck you're smoking
Apr 11, 2018 1:12 AM
Jan 2018
Weebston said:
Petedj121 said:

People aren't necessarily ungrateful. They have simply gotten used to the old art style of TNK, and since a lot of us has never read the LN, this art style change is very weird to us, and is gonna take some getting used to. Personally I think the way BorN handled episode 9 was kinda better than what the LN did, because using the Oppai Dragon Song to calm him down INSTEAD of Rias (whom he obviously loves and cares about) is just silly and kinda stupid in my opinion.

HOWEVER, I'm still very excited for the new season and I'm sure I'll get used to the art style eventually.

He got his balance breaker by pushing her nipple . So why can't he do the opposite
Apr 11, 2018 1:12 AM
Apr 2018
Darklight0303 said:
zamiem said:

How exactly......
If you post a selfie on the net an later edit the face ..
. How would all the viewers react
๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’
Apr 11, 2018 1:14 AM

Apr 2008
zamiem said:
Darklight0303 said:

How exactly
๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’

It destroyed development that was meant to happen later in the novels and made a fucking retarded looking bikini armor for Rias and the whole mindcontrol plotline was BEYOND fucking retarded
Apr 11, 2018 1:16 AM

Sep 2016
Leviathans_Iris said:

The key thing they "fixed" was how Issei was "saved" from his incomplete Juggernaut Drive.
It was just a series recap til Juggernaut Drive, then the true method of calming him down.

Until the season finishes, it's hard to say how they'll make any other "fixes" to what season 3 screwed up.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Apr 11, 2018 1:29 AM
Nov 2017
If you retcon the retcon to go back to the source, is it really a retcon?

It'll take time to get used to the new art style, but welcome back, everyone! OPPAI!!
Apr 11, 2018 1:44 AM

Dec 2015
Tbh I was expecting more, in terms of fanservice I mean. Overall, the first episode was both cringy and hilarious at the same time, an ok episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 11, 2018 1:46 AM

Jan 2018
Introduction for the new art style using last episode of Born.New art style is going to be a pain to get used to face looks weird I am some one who read LN still like the old art style
Didn't expect the studio to add where Asia confesses
Apr 11, 2018 1:52 AM
Feb 2018
I really didn't like the first and new episode, I don't understand why they redid episodes 11 and 12 from season 3. I enjoyed those episodes and this redone one just seems like it was rushed... also why where all the dragons in the jugernort forms so small... the rewrote lots of season 3 for no good reason
Apr 11, 2018 2:02 AM

Apr 2008
FilthyCasual2127 said:
I really didn't like the first and new episode, I don't understand why they redid episodes 11 and 12 from season 3. I enjoyed those episodes and this redone one just seems like it was rushed... also why where all the dragons in the jugernort forms so small... the rewrote lots of season 3 for no good reason

They went back to the source material. Those episodes you loved so much were ABOMINATION to the canon. You quite live up to your username
Apr 11, 2018 2:17 AM

Nov 2016
is this episode 1 or episode 0?
Apr 11, 2018 2:19 AM

Nov 2016
Darklight0303 said:
FilthyCasual2127 said:

They went back to the source material. Those episodes you loved so much were ABOMINATION to the canon. You quite live up to your username
dank, this guy is casual af
Apr 11, 2018 2:22 AM

Apr 2008
revyHOLiC said:

I hear some say it's episode 0 Not sure how official that is or not. I'm just glad we're back on the true path of the story.
Apr 11, 2018 2:25 AM
Jun 2016
Darklight0303 said:
revyHOLiC said:

I hear some say it's episode 0 Not sure how official that is or not. I'm just glad we're back on the true path of the story.

Dude you've been toxic to everyone who disagrees with you ever since this thread started. Yeah, you like the new episode and prefer the LNs way of telling the story. That's great. But there's absolutely no reason to hate on those who enjoy TNKs version. For example, I think TNKs art style was better, but I don't throw insults at you for liking the new one.
Apr 11, 2018 2:31 AM

Nov 2013
Waiting for the Oppai Dragon spin off show.
Apr 11, 2018 2:32 AM

Apr 2008
Weebston said:
Darklight0303 said:

Dude you've been toxic to everyone who disagrees with you ever since this thread started. Yeah, you like the new episode and prefer the LNs way of telling the story. That's great. But there's absolutely no reason to hate on those who enjoy TNKs version. For example, I think TNKs art style was better, but I don't throw insults at you for liking the new one.

Difference is I care more about the writing than the looks. Not to mention this was a retcon episode so it wouldn't get the bulk of the budget anyway. That's going to be saved for the two main confrontation of this season. The one in Kyoto and the one in the rating game. People saying how they prefer the plot of the end of season 3 are just factually wrong in every possible way. Them's the breaks. Also I mostly threw insults at the shitty writing of that season's anime original garbage. Last I checked that was allowed. Given how people throw shit at the developments in this episode.

Also I am amused you chose one of my milder posts to call me out. It's adorable really
Darklight0303Apr 11, 2018 2:41 AM
Apr 11, 2018 2:37 AM
Dec 2013
Glad that it's uncensored from the get-go. I also hear that this is more faithful to the light novel compared to the last 3 episodes of High School DxD BorN, which is good news. The new art style will take some time to getting used to, though, and apparently the new art style is closer to the light novel's art style too.

I usually watch this show dubbed, so this is going to be the first time I'm going to be watching this series subbed. It's also the first time I'm watching DxD as it airs, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the show.
wildhoodApr 11, 2018 3:03 AM
Apr 11, 2018 2:46 AM
Jun 2016
Darklight0303 said:
Weebston said:

Difference is I care more about the writing than the looks. Not to mention this was a retcon episode so it wouldn't get the bulk of the budget anyway. That's going to be saved for the two main confrontation of this season. The one in Kyoto and the one in the rating game. People saying how they prefer the plot of the end of season 3 are just factually wrong in every possible way. Them's the breaks. Also I mostly threw insults at the shitty writing of that season's anime original garbage. Last I checked that was allowed. Given how people throw shit at the developments in this episode.

Also I am amused you chose one of my milder posts to call me out. It's adorable really

There is no such thing as "factually wrong" when it comes to preference. Yeah the ending of s3 wasn't true to the LNs. So what? Some people still enjoyed it. And isn't that why we watch these shows to begin with? To get entertained?

I'm not saying you are wrong, the ending of s3 made no sense in the grand scope of things and TNK should've listened to the author. But insulting those who liked it is simply downright childish.
Apr 11, 2018 2:50 AM

Apr 2008
Weebston said:
Darklight0303 said:

There is no such thing as "factually wrong" when it comes to preference. Yeah the ending of s3 wasn't true to the LNs. So what? Some people still enjoyed it. And isn't that why we watch these shows to begin with? To get entertained?

I'm not saying you are wrong, the ending of s3 made no sense in the grand scope of things and TNK should've listened to the author. But insulting those who liked it is simply downright childish.

Again I focused my bashing on the events of last season and insisted that this is the canon. There are barely any insults directed at the people liking that. The most I said is what the hell are you smoking and you really live up to your username. A username they picked for themselves mind you. Oh noes what horrific soul scarring insults. Insulting something you like doesn't = to insulting you. Sorry to have to teach you such basic logic. You should never identify with what you like to that extent in the first place.
Apr 11, 2018 2:57 AM
Jun 2016
Darklight0303 said:
Weebston said:

Again I focused my bashing on the events of last season and insisted that this is the canon. There are barely any insults directed at the people liking that. The most I said is what the hell are you smoking and you really live up to your username. A username they picked for themselves mind you. Oh noes what horrific soul scarring insults. Insulting something you like doesn't = to insulting you. Sorry to have to teach you such basic logic. You should never identify with what you like to that extent in the first place.

Whatever man, I'm not here to start beef. I just wanted to point it out. Have a good day.
Apr 11, 2018 3:02 AM
Jan 2016
i liked TNK art better however the animation in this episode and presuming a lower tier episode is pretty decent, they is alot more movement than typical.

Its sad that this episode was rushed however not really the studio fault though, mainly how TNK handled the source material. This basically 1 big retcon, thats nice to see because loki brainwashing president was far the weakest element in that series thank god that was anime original because the tone for some reason was way to serious.

Well u can't really judge much from this episode alone, i'll properly judge and from next episode onwards because thats when the actual new stuff is occurring.
Apr 11, 2018 3:02 AM

Feb 2018
Awesome,still epic fanservice just still wait for episode 2
Apr 11, 2018 3:03 AM

Apr 2008
Nerd_Zone1 said:
i liked TNK art better however the animation in this episode and presuming a lower tier episode is pretty decent, they is alot more movement than typical.

Its sad that this episode was rushed however not really the studio fault though, mainly how TNK handled the source material. This basically 1 big retcon, thats nice to see because loki brainwashing president was far the weakest element in that series thank god that was anime original because the tone for some reason was way to serious.

Well u can't really judge much from this episode alone, i'll properly judge and from next episode onwards because thats when the actual new stuff is occurring.

Yep. Can't wait for the Kyoto field trip and more Rossweisse screentime~
Apr 11, 2018 3:09 AM

Jul 2012
Weebston said:
Petedj121 said:

I get exactly where you're coming from.
I just get ticked when people don't do their research.
That one part in particular I thought was great. Just another one of Ishibumis weird tendencies shining through.

I have a feeling it'll grow on most. But that's subjective to each viewer.
Apr 11, 2018 3:10 AM

Feb 2018
Awesome,still epic fanservice just still wait for episode 2
Apr 11, 2018 3:15 AM
ใ†ใพใดใ‚‡ใ„ไผ่ชฌ

May 2017
I too liked the TNK art style than the current one, maybe because I was used to it watching for 3 seasons.

So there's another entry of DxD: Hero that says it's the alternative version of Born's last three episodes. What's the deal with that last three episodes?
Apr 11, 2018 3:17 AM
Jan 2018
Lmao some people don't even know the difference between art style and animation. The animation is better than before.
007DragonGodApr 11, 2018 5:12 AM
Apr 11, 2018 3:19 AM

Nov 2016
I'm happy they reworked the ending of last season but who the f... care about Asia ?? hope next episodes will be about any girl except her...
Apr 11, 2018 3:20 AM

Apr 2008
hiraishinx said:
I'm happy they reworked the ending of last season but who the f... care about Asia ?? hope next episodes will be about any girl except her...

Oh don't worry there will be plenty who get more time to shine and Rias especially will get the highlight of the final arc this season if they follow the volume.
Apr 11, 2018 3:22 AM
Jan 2018
Antagonized said:
I too liked the TNK art style than the current one, maybe because I was used to it watching for 3 seasons.

So there's another entry of DxD: Hero that says it's the alternative version of Born's last three episodes. What's the deal with that last three episodes?

The last 3 episodes of BorN where anime orginal. This retcon is Episode 9 of BorN but has been remade the way it should have been and basically making episode 10 ,11,12 of season 3 now irrelevent. Not sure how though because it seems they just got rid of the whole loki curse thing
Apr 11, 2018 3:24 AM

Nov 2015
TJHooker said:
Broonos said:
I hate the fact that there will be harem ending(unless everybody except Riass dies or forgets him) it's okay flirting and everything but it's shitty to love them all "equaly". Riass is for Issei, Akeno is for me, the rest of them can go fuck themself..

Issei wants a harem. That's his primary goal. There's no way he'd just choose one of them.
He was saying to Risse like"you are the only one" and things like that and she is the main gal....i mean if hearts are meant to be broken then broke them..in Nisekoi for example all the girls were amazing and everything and he still picked one...while in DxD only Riass and Akeno.i am not hating on DxD i was so happy when 4th season was announced but i really hate harem ending and in first 3 seasons it was heavily implied that Riass is the main and only gal
You cannot spell Light without L
Apr 11, 2018 3:25 AM

Nov 2016
Darklight0303 said:
hiraishinx said:

Oh don't worry there will be plenty who get more time to shine and Rias especially will get the highlight of the final arc this season if they follow the volume.

hehe then I look forward to see it :D
Apr 11, 2018 3:26 AM

Apr 2008
Mattinator95 said:
Antagonized said:

The last 3 episodes of BorN where anime orginal. This retcon is Episode 9 of BorN but has been remade the way it should have been and basically making episode 10 ,11,12 of season 3 now irrelevent. Not sure how though because it seems they just got rid of the whole loki curse thing

The curse was anime only garbage anyway. It's not in the novels. But they fixed up more than jsut that. The whole development with Rias and Issei was meant for a later volume where it's done much more beautifully.
Apr 11, 2018 3:28 AM

Apr 2008
Broonos said:
TJHooker said:

Issei wants a harem. That's his primary goal. There's no way he'd just choose one of them.
He was saying to Risse like"you are the only one" and things like that and she is the main gal....i mean if hearts are meant to be broken then broke them..in Nisekoi for example all the girls were amazing and everything and he still picked one...while in DxD only Riass and Akeno.i am not hating on DxD i was so happy when 4th season was announced but i really hate harem ending and in first 3 seasons it was heavily implied that Riass is the main and only gal

This is always going to end up in a Harem. If that's not up to your taste then you're in for a rough ride sorry to tell ya. Heck we already saw the kids he's gonna be having in the side novel which actually reinforced how much of a non canon ending the last season was. This retcon was simply the final nail in the coffin for that accursed timeline.
Apr 11, 2018 3:32 AM

Nov 2015
Darklight0303 said:
Broonos said:

This is always going to end up in a Harem. If that's not up to your taste then you're in for a rough ride sorry to tell ya. Heck we already saw the kids he's gonna be having in the side novel which actually reinforced how much of a non canon ending the last season was. This retcon was simply the final nail in the coffin for that accursed timeline.

i dunno about others but i want an alternative ending where Riass wins,still will watch the show bc Akeno cannot not be seen,bc of the ending of the first episode i dont think my hopes will come true
You cannot spell Light without L
Apr 11, 2018 3:42 AM

Aug 2016
Glad to see that High School DxD is back but I really can't get used to the new art. I'm just hoping it grows as I go through the series.

Set by SenpieX
Apr 11, 2018 3:53 AM
Dec 2016
Sugoiii... the new animation is epic
Its better from the old one
Apr 11, 2018 4:12 AM

Jul 2012
For a second i thought i was watching old season, didn't think they would completely throw out previous season for the sake of continuing LN path, even if it was pretty bad. As for the recap episode not really impressed, felt like there might've been a need to rewatch for some explanations, i like the series overall but not to the point of rewatching. And so used to the old art-style so not a fan of the change. Still it is some kind of reintroduction episode so let's see how it goes, for now just decent.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» High school Dxd Drinking game.

GrimAtrament - May 1, 2018

4 by Jamester_UWU »»
Aug 1, 2022 11:39 PM

» Since this retcons the last 4 episodes of season 3 should i just skip the last 4

Omnitrix10 - Apr 17, 2018

4 by ChartTopper60 »»
Mar 20, 2021 8:19 AM

» Difference between Borns Ending (last 3 episodes) and this episode?

-_Removed_- - Apr 14, 2018

3 by TheDeadWalk »»
Feb 7, 2020 8:10 PM

» What is this? ( 1 2 )

begija - Apr 12, 2018

52 by GrimAtrament »»
May 1, 2018 4:16 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero: Taiikukan-ura no Holy Episode 1 Discussion

joe_g7 - Apr 12, 2018

27 by julyan »»
Apr 13, 2018 7:41 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.