Forum Settings
Forums

Profile: More anime/manga/character/people favorites? [Waived]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Feb 10, 2014 7:03 AM

Dec 2009
AnimeArchi said:
I've more than 10 favs, even more than 20 I guess. But why aren't we able to insert more than 10 favs in our favorite list?

Ok, with the number of anime you've seen you already have 20+ fav's. Lets imagine staff agrees to make amount of characters (anime/voice actors) in fav's more - e.g. they make it 20. But the problem is - after you watch more anime you will see more characters and get more fav's again. So you will come to support board again saying that 20 is not enough? Can you imagine how many favorite characters got those who've seen 500 anime or 1000? and even 3000? No matter what number of fav's you'll suggest - it won't be good for everyone. Anyway, the idea of that "favorite" list is that you pick "best of the best". 10 is actually more then enough, for the rest you can use blog - as was already mentioned.
Feb 10, 2014 7:20 AM
Bunnies πŸ“

Jan 2013
There's this thing called "About me" section on your profile or blog. Use those to create a list of your favorite characters, couples, and it can be more than 20 characters. There's a reason MAL has 10 characters only as favorites and that's for the 10 characters out of all the animes you've seen have become your favorites. So again use your "About me" section on the profile and you can even say why you like those characters. Simple, easy. Idk why people make a big deal out of adding more favorites.

Feb 10, 2014 8:00 AM

Oct 2009
SweetKotomi said:
So again use your "About me" section on the profile and you can even say why you like those characters. Simple, easy. Idk why people make a big deal out of adding more favorites.

Because I would have to add pictures manually but I'm too lazy for that, and without pics, it would look ugly, so instead I just come and rant about not enough favourites
SerhiykoFeb 10, 2014 8:10 AM
Apr 6, 2014 3:38 PM

Sep 2013
I think that MyAnimeList should let you have at least 20 favorite characters and 10 favorite animes. I see some people who have that and I think that everyone should have it. Kinda unfair :l
β™œβ™žβ™β™›β™šβ™β™žβ™œ
β™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿ
Join Me, Pawns!
Apr 6, 2014 3:41 PM

Jun 2012
There is a lag bug that people take advantage of to get more than ten favorites, but making it accessible to everyone on the site would require coding, which is seemingly impossible from our very adept coder.
Furthermore, the stress it would take on the server would be evident.
Apr 6, 2014 3:45 PM

Nov 2010
No, the current numbers are fine. It's supposed to be your favorites not your likes, whittle it down to your absolute favorites.
Apr 6, 2014 5:23 PM

Oct 2013
You could make a list for your fav anime/characters in the About Me section if you want.

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
Apr 7, 2014 6:31 AM

Mar 2013
As said above, favorite =/= like.

DementedPalkia said:
Kinda unfair :l

Therefore, it is not unfair. It is actually kind of weird that there are 5 spots for the favorites open. 1 would be normal, since only 1 is the true favorite. 3 max, IMHO. Even though 5 goes to the extremes when we connect it to that word, I guess it is a round number, so we can can easily leave it with that and the majority is happy.
Apr 16, 2014 4:01 PM

Sep 2013
I completely disagree with you subpyro. One is not enough. I want to show more then one favorite.

Zeronex that is a good idea but I think that the favorite characters and favorite anime features would be useless then.

IntroverTurtle it is very hard to "whittle" it down to five anime favorites and 10 favorite characters. I find this to be annoying because every ten seconds I'm changing my favorite characters and I'm always thinking about which animes should be on my top 5. BTW I always see things that say top 10 not top 5 in videos

YorozuyaGinSan I do understand your logic. People have recommended visual novels before and they said no because they already have a shitload of stuff on MyAnimeList. But, if certain people have this lag bug and others don't, they should try to get rid of it. If they can't, I'll deal with it.

Mod Note: Quadruple post combined. Don't post multiple responses one after the other...
rodacApr 16, 2014 9:01 PM
β™œβ™žβ™β™›β™šβ™β™žβ™œ
β™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿβ™Ÿ
Join Me, Pawns!
Apr 16, 2014 4:08 PM

Jun 2007
A "Favorites" list is supposed to force you to actually put hard thought into picking them. It's SUPPOSED TO BE "very hard" to whittle it down. That's why it's called "FAVORITE" and not "Really really really really liked".

A favorite is the best thing above all the rest - not "that thing i like a lot like a lot of other stuff XD". The more favorites you are allowd, the more the list turns from "favorites" to just "my not-dropped list".

There'd be nothing meaningful or special, the whole reason it's called 'favorite' goes away once there's too much or if it's so easy for things to become your 'new favorite'.

And nice quadruple post, really shows we should listen to your opinion.
TallonKarrde23Apr 16, 2014 4:20 PM
Apr 16, 2014 4:10 PM

Nov 2010
DementedPalkia said:
IntroverTurtle it is very hard to "whittle" it down to five anime favorites and 10 favorite characters. I find this to be annoying because every ten seconds I'm changing my favorite characters and I'm always thinking about which animes should be on my top 5. BTW I always see things that say top 10 not top 5 in videos.
I've watched almost 15x more anime than you and I had no big problem.

Yes and you should think about which anime are in your top 5, try and pick the ones that best represent your taste or whatever your goal is. That's the point as Tallon has said.

Well this isn't a video site, so meh.
Apr 16, 2014 4:15 PM

Feb 2010
Just do extended favorites on your profile like any other person who ever thought '5 or 10 seems not enough'. What's the big deal?
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 16, 2014 4:17 PM
Jan 2013
DementedPalkia said:
it is very hard to "whittle" it down to five anime favorites and 10 favorite characters. I find this to be annoying because every ten seconds I'm changing my favorite characters and I'm always thinking about which animes should be on my top 5..

Do you like... fall in love with every character you see? I've never seen anyone that changes their favorites so much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2007
Hulmy said:
DementedPalkia said:
it is very hard to "whittle" it down to five anime favorites and 10 favorite characters. I find this to be annoying because every ten seconds I'm changing my favorite characters and I'm always thinking about which animes should be on my top 5..

Do you like... fall in love with every character you see? I've never seen anyone that changes their favorites so much.

If I couldn't pick favorites I'd have a thousand 'favorite' kouhais instead of just one.
Apr 16, 2014 4:23 PM
Jan 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Hulmy said:
DementedPalkia said:

If I couldn't pick favorites I'd have a thousand 'favorite' kouhais instead of just one.

That's why you're the best!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2014 6:20 AM

Mar 2013
DementedPalkia said:
I completely disagree with you subpyro. One is not enough. I want to show more then one favorite.

This is one of those times when I don't know if the OP is either a complete idiot, or a professional troll. Allow me to assume it's the former. You just keep on tripping over and over again. As it's been said by everyone, the emphasize is on the word "Favorite".

Saying this is stupid:
DementedPalkia said:
I want to show more then one favorite.

Why? Because for the 1,000th time, you keep on mixing up "likes" with "favorites". Now please, try to understand the meaning of that one single word before continuing to dig deeper. Thank you.
Apr 17, 2014 7:04 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Imagine this
All your favorite characters are dangling on rope above lava
Choose 5 you want to save the most.

I like a bunch of characters, but a favorite shouldn't even go beyond two (Since I have a favorite ship for my two favorite characters).

You can do what people do, and make a favorite character list on your about me.

Also.. am I the only one who noticed..
DementedPalkia said:
...at least 20 favorite characters and 10 favorite animes....

I really hope that is a typo for at most.
Apr 17, 2014 8:27 AM

Oct 2009
Zelot said:
DementedPalkia said:
...at least 20 favorite characters and 10 favorite animes....

I really hope that is a typo for at most.

Well, in AniDB you can add up to 20 favourites in every category: anime, character, creator, tags, etc.

But on MAL the solution is pretty much
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Just do extended favorites on your profile

Zelot said:
make a favorite character list on your about me
May 21, 2014 9:35 PM

May 2008
Hello.

I really like this website. Only 1 thing i dosent very like is the limit of the favorite list.
Many people have lot of favorite... but you can only put 5 Anime and 10 Characters.
Not enough space.

I know the reason of the limit is the top favorite list...

My Suggestion is:
- No limit for the favorite list.
- Only the first 3 Anime/Character get point
- Make a Hate List (Thing that i very want some time...)

(Sorry for my bad english)
May 21, 2014 10:38 PM

Oct 2012
Haou-Judai said:
- No limit for the favorite list.
I've seen some people do it when MAL site was lagging which allowed them to temporarily exceed the limit, but otherwise I disagree. There will be people who will literally clutter their side bar with favorites (and believe me people will do that.

Instead of having no limits, I think a better solution would be to increase the limit so that more people can add favorites. Let's say, double the current limit.
Haou-Judai said:
- Only the first 3 Anime/Character get point
What exactly do you mean by this? If you have something added to favorites it is automatically counted as a statistic, there's nothing you can do about that.
Haou-Judai said:
- Make a Hate List (Thing that i very want some time...)
I disagree with this, would cause too much butthurt.
May 22, 2014 1:58 AM

Oct 2009
Haou-Judai said:
Many people have lot of favorite... but you can only put 5 Anime and 10 Characters.

Yes, and those people add extra favourites to their "About Me" section. Maybe you do the same? No, really?
May 22, 2014 2:24 AM

May 2008
Serhiyko said:
Haou-Judai said:

Yes, and those people add extra favourites to their "About Me" section. Maybe you do the same? No, really?

Want. But i too busy to make it...
May 22, 2014 7:41 AM

Mar 2013
1.) There is a "Forum Search" option located in each board. Did you try using it?
2.) No. Favorites aren't likes. As said, use the Blogs or About Me, or drop the idea.
3.) Since expanding isn't taking action and shouldn't, the idea about top 3 doesn't sound good as a stand-alone, either.
May 22, 2014 9:43 AM

Oct 2009
Haou-Judai said:

So basically, what you saying, is that you want to add more favourites, but you are too busy for it. How adding more slots for favourite anime/characters would make you less busy? If you want to add with pictures, than either find time for that, or add as plain text without pictures and bear with it. What you are saying is that you don't want to put in any effort, but instead you expect the staff to work their ass off for you and change the whole site just so it meets your needs.
I don't want to offend you at this point, but I'm afraid I shall have to unless you see faults in your argumentation
SerhiykoMay 22, 2014 9:47 AM
May 26, 2014 5:09 AM

May 2008
Serhiyko said:
Haou-Judai said:

So basically, what you saying, is that you want to add more favourites, but you are too busy for it. How adding more slots for favourite anime/characters would make you less busy? If you want to add with pictures, than either find time for that, or add as plain text without pictures and bear with it. What you are saying is that you don't want to put in any effort, but instead you expect the staff to work their ass off for you and change the whole site just so it meets your needs.
I don't want to offend you at this point, but I'm afraid I shall have to unless you see faults in your argumentation

I don't want make a single text list... that too suck. I Really want to make one whit picture and url just don't have lot of time. I have to much project (Making Subtitles, Making add on for a game ect) and already working on a 12-hour shift.

Why not just make a other favorite option...?
May 27, 2014 3:47 AM

Jan 2011
Haou-Judai said:
Serhiyko said:
Haou-Judai said:

I don't want make a single text list... that too suck. I Really want to make one whit picture and url just don't have lot of time. I have to much project (Making Subtitles, Making add on for a game ect) and already working on a 12-hour shift.

Why not just make a other favorite option...?

Because that would take more effort.
Jul 7, 2014 4:12 PM
Apr 2014
Let us be able to add more of our favourite characters. For example, instead of having 10 favourites, why not allow us to have 15 instead?
Jul 7, 2014 6:39 PM

Oct 2009
Read http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=4555#msg10606127 please:
Chavez said:
The following suggestions have already been posted and rejected:
  • [...]

• "More open spots for favorite anime/manga/character/staff"
    No. If you desperately need more spots, use the blog function.
Aug 10, 2014 1:28 PM

Jun 2014
Honestly, I think the favorites should be more than 5 probably 10 maybe?
Aug 10, 2014 1:30 PM
Aug 10, 2014 1:32 PM

Aug 2013
i think it should be bigger as well
Aug 10, 2014 1:40 PM

Nov 2010
Toothless_Snake said:
FAQ said:
No
Aug 10, 2014 1:51 PM

Aug 2013
having 10 would be a way better thing to have on
Aug 10, 2014 1:55 PM
Mar 2013
J-TORA said:
I don't know if they have to be expanded or not but I've seen people on MAL with more than 5 entries for Favorite Anime and I always wonder how they're doing this.
you can add more when the site's experiencing lag but I believe it's now against the rules

IntroverTurtle said:
Toothless_Snake said:
FAQ said:
No
FAQ said:
Note: Keep in mind that with overwhelming support most of the above rejected suggestions would have a chance at being implemented. However, being on this list means that they have been turned down numerous times before.
Aug 10, 2014 10:47 PM

Oct 2009
Toothless_Snake said:
having 10 would be a way better thing to have on

IntroverTurtle said:
Just use your about me.

^
Aug 10, 2014 11:49 PM

Mar 2013
It's called favorites and not likes for a reason. In my opinion, 5 is an ideal number. To display more, use the blogs or, as said by others already, the about section. But that is truly unnecessary overall. Anyone can check your lists and order them by score, as well as see which series stood out for you. In the end, the favorites section is all about the favorites.
Aug 17, 2014 1:09 PM

Jun 2014
Use your 'About Me' section for displaying more of your favourite anime and manga. Also, you can specify the reason why you like that anime or manga there, which the favourites list doesn't allow. So it's actually better.
Aug 18, 2014 3:18 AM

Jun 2014
What do you think about your Favorite Characters to be divided into male and female ones? ex. when you look at top favourite characters it's mostly male ones :D It could be 5 males, 5 female favourites.
I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Aug 18, 2014 6:06 AM

Feb 2010
Siljkus said:
What do you think about your Favorite Characters to be divided into male and female ones? ex. when you look at top favourite characters it's mostly male ones :D It could be 5 males, 5 female favourites.

IntroverTurtle said:
Just use your about me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 18, 2014 9:36 AM

Oct 2009
JD2411 said:
you can add more when the site's experiencing lag but I believe it's now against the rules

You mean, in the past it was ever allowed?
Aug 18, 2014 9:39 AM

Nov 2010
Serhiyko said:
JD2411 said:

You mean, in the past it was ever allowed?
It was always against the rules they just never enforced it or even warned you.
Aug 18, 2014 11:38 AM

Oct 2009
IntroverTurtle said:

You mean now they do?
Aug 18, 2014 11:43 AM

Nov 2010
Serhiyko said:
IntroverTurtle said:

You mean now they do?
Yes. Though there is a limit to what they can do as they can't manually change your favorites, yet at least.
Aug 18, 2014 11:47 AM

May 2013
I would like to increase my waifu harem.
Aug 18, 2014 11:51 AM

Oct 2009
RevolverSnake said:

I don't see what stops you
Aug 18, 2014 11:53 AM

May 2013
Serhiyko said:
RevolverSnake said:

I don't see what stops you

But I want them in my favorite characters. :/
Aug 18, 2014 11:53 AM

Apr 2014
Siljkus said:

Do you know how rare it is now to find a badass female that is actually badass?
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Aug 18, 2014 12:16 PM

Oct 2009
RevolverSnake said:
But I want them in my favorite characters. :/

And I want to ride on Ferrari with Ana Ivanovic
You can place them in your "About Me" section or into a blog entry
Aug 18, 2014 8:04 PM

Mar 2008
This suggestion has been made countless times before and has always been rejected.

Displaying more anime/manga/characters/people eliminates the benefit of having favorites. When a ton of anime are displayed, it doesn't give off the impression that any of them are special to a person. When I discover a profile that has >5 anime added to their favorites, I don't bother to look at them because it feels more like I'm suffering at the hands of a poor advertisement (and a user's rebellion) rather than enjoying a unique and meaningful showcase.

On the other hand, reading a blog entry or profile featuring (in the About section) a "Top 10 Favorite Anime" list is like taking a peek into someone's own walk down memory lane which isn't insufferable and is a feels-y array instead of a solicitation. Much like an image placed in one's profile gives a sense of who the user is in a pleasant way.

If I want to know more about someone, I will take the time to explore any extra content they may have shared via their profile. When too much is shoved in my face, it will be ignored.

Siljkus said:
Favorites are all about making statements. This would be forced and therefore would extinguish ones ability to express themself as an individual. It means more when one out of ten characters someone has listed as favorites is a female because the female character stood out to them. Should they be forced to list five female favorites when they do not want to, it would also potentially waste five slots on the list.

Aug 18, 2014 8:08 PM

Sep 2011
The answer is no. Please read this: http://myanimelist.net/modules.php?go=faq#canwehave and many other posts.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - May 30

10 by Ahmedkabeer »»
43 minutes ago

» Prevent obscure Donghua from polluting the top rankings

Zarutaku - 8 hours ago

3 by Detalius »»
6 hours ago

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

15 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
Today, 12:13 AM

» Loosen Review Guidelines

Unrighteous - May 6

3 by Alexioos95 »»
Jun 1, 8:19 AM

» A Separate Sub-list in completed anime for Movies and specials

closet_-_weeb - Jun 1

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Jun 1, 4:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.