Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 21, 2010 9:30 AM

Jul 2009
I like my culture =)

Feb 21, 2010 2:47 PM

Aug 2009
I'm from Hungary, but I don't really practice the old traditions (no one really does anymore... globalization, huh). I don't like the traditional Hungarian food (eg. goulash), I don't listen to folk music and can't folkdance. About the only thing for which I care about national holidays is because then I can stay at home. But anyways I like the feeling of being a Hungarian, even though it may not make a big difference.
Feb 22, 2010 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
I"m French, of Chinese origin. I like France all right, though people DO like to groan and complain about everything, so there are always lots of bothersome strikes everywhere XD

As for China, I never went there, my chinese is very poor, I don't think I'll ever be able to blend into Chinese culture. I find some customs really embarrassing, and I'm not even talking about the whole political issue there.
Feb 22, 2010 7:36 AM

Dec 2007
antitype said:
illusean said:
America has no culture, so I am incapable of liking what does not exist.

So I guess you might as well cease to exist, then.

How is that even remotely relevant?
Feb 22, 2010 8:22 AM

Dec 2008
Lily317 said:
I"m French, of Chinese origin. I like France all right, though people DO like to groan and complain about everything, so there are always lots of bothersome strikes everywhere XD

As for China, I never went there, my chinese is very poor, I don't think I'll ever be able to blend into Chinese culture. I find some customs really embarrassing, and I'm not even talking about the whole political issue there.

What kind of embarrassing customs are we talking about? I have to admit though, China had way better culture like 900 years ago. China today is nothing but crap, especially when it comes to politics.
Feb 22, 2010 8:29 AM

Dec 2008
Chavez said:
antitype said:
illusean said:
America has no culture, so I am incapable of liking what does not exist.

So I guess you might as well cease to exist, then.

How is that even remotely relevant?

You honestly have to ask?
Feb 22, 2010 8:33 AM

May 2008
Where there's people, there's culture, I suppose.
And every culture comes from another one. Well, at least I don't think there are any cultures that aren't related.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 4, 2010 3:20 PM

May 2009
Um, let's see. My ethnicity is A, I was born and raised in country B, spent the last few years in country C, and more likely than not, I'll be heading back to B soon before going off to country D.

Suffice to say, I'm really not sure what "my" culture is. To break it down, I relate the most to B, I loathe A most of the time, and I'm pretty much indifferent to C.

In all honesty, I find A - the people, the country - to be major hypocrites. They have this pious, religious front, but are major perverts. I'm generalising, I know, but like everything that's banned, people go crazy about it, i.e. I'm not completely wrong. They have this huge superiority complex; they're so touchy about someone racially offending them, while within their country there's constant insulting and hatred between groups and classes. I pretty much dislike everything about them. I've often wondered if this was a case of hating one's own race (Is there a term for that?) or rejecting my own race, but really, I have plenty of reasons to. And I'm only grateful that I wasn't born or raised there.

Like I said, I neither like nor dislike C, but I do like how easygoing most people here are and how they don't take themselves too seriously. I don't like how (binge) drinking is a national pastime.

I have a lot of reasons to love B. I love the balance of modern and traditional views - both in everyday life as well as in government. While there's a lot of Westernisation, I like how (at this point, at least) they still hold a lot of their traditional ways. Oh, they have the friendliest people, but of course there are the occasional mean ones. I don't like the way they sometimes admire, to the point of reverence, foreigners. There's also a very deep-seated culture of bribery and paying-one's-way-out-of-things that I really dislike.

I keep referring to those three cultures as 'they' because I really feel like I don't quite belong anywhere. Though if the whole world were to get into a war where every living person must participate, I'd without a doubt defend B.
Apr 4, 2010 3:30 PM

Feb 2008
SmileWithMe said:
Lily317 said:

What kind of embarrassing customs are we talking about? I have to admit though, China had way better culture like 900 years ago. China today is nothing but crap, especially when it comes to politics.

This topic talks about culture, not politics.
I am from Asia, but living in Europe. Two continents are very different to each other, and especially culture. But we have to adapt, where we live, right? That's actually answer, to the user above me. We don't have to blend in any culture, but we should, keep the manners, rules of the culture, of the nation, we're living in. Like if I go to India, it is less likely, that I will start boasting, about how delicious the beef is!

In my veins, there is blood of Chinese, and China, has one of the richest, greatest history, culture. There's nothing else, than, it is my honour, to be one of the children, of such nation.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 4, 2010 3:43 PM

Jan 2009
I come from a Korean and American culture.

My Korean culture? I think it's beautiful. I love and take pride in it, knowing just how unique it is (well, of course I do know that they've been influenced by the Chinese and whatnot, but that doesn't necessarily mean we ARE like them).
I think Americans have culture. It's everything that people bring in that I think kind of makes America... America. Then again, that's debatable... but hey, don't scream at me for trying to see a positive thing. ><

I don't know though. I'm not particularly fond of how superficial Korean people are though. Or how superficial their society is... and same goes for America. :/ That kind of ruins the culture for both countries for me. Just how superficial and materialistic people can get from those two countries.
Apr 4, 2010 3:47 PM

Mar 2010
Im pretty sure if America does have any at all, I still hate this place.
Apr 4, 2010 3:56 PM

Jan 2009
Systems said:
Im pretty sure if America does have any at all, I still hate this place.

Eh, you're not alone there. ><
Apr 4, 2010 4:04 PM

Jul 2009
I live in Britain, but my parents are Bangladeshi. I love that I have both countries; though Britain does not have much culture to be honest but I think that's the appeal to it -- that there's nothing so you can pretty much do what you want. On the other hand Bangladeshi culture is both excellent and annoying.
Excellent because of the food, the clothes, the fun, the values, finding out about things (e.g. it is tradition for the groom to give the bride five sarees, the wedding outfit and all the gold but it is also tradition for the bride to buy all of the groom's clothing). What's annoying is all the expectations, like being able to hold a conversation (if you're shy or don't like to speak you're considered stupid), or girls having to do so and so.

Overall, I think its pretty sweet.

Apr 4, 2010 4:06 PM

Feb 2008
Sotoriel said:
I come from a Korean and American culture.

My Korean culture? I think it's beautiful. I love and take pride in it, knowing just how unique it is (well, of course I do know that they've been influenced by the Chinese and whatnot, but that doesn't necessarily mean we ARE like them).

Do you take pride in, something that you was born as, or with?
I take pride in something, that I have greatly achieved.

Well, pride can be strong thing, for soldiers, when they are needed, to defend the country.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 4, 2010 4:19 PM

Jan 2010
Philippine Culture is good. I grew up there and its food/music/dance/legends/etc are very good.
Score Criteria:
Apr 5, 2010 1:23 AM

Oct 2008
I'm fine with Danish culture.
We do have some great comedians, some pretty good movies (we have Lars von Trier... not that I think I've watched anything he made though, lol), we have The Royal Family (I guess that's something with culture too...), we do pretty well in football and handball, aaaand...
Oh yeah, we actually do have some good musicians. Dizzy Mizz Lizzy and Metallica (drummer, Lars something).

However, we do certainly also have absolutely useless tv-shows and stuff like that. To its defense however, most of that is inspired by American shows :b
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Apr 5, 2010 1:35 AM

Apr 2009
I'm a Filipino. I live an average life as a 16 year old who just graduated highschool and about to enter college. I need to be consider on what course i should choose. I should choose courses that gives me a job which is in demand in other countries or at the least, get me money. But as everyone else,I Love japan and anime so I chose Ab Liberal arts International Studies Major in Japanese. from the course itself, it's kinda obvious that i'd get no money from it. Our government sucks, they put out public toilets on streets where most people use it as a sleeping spot.
Apr 5, 2010 1:40 AM

Jul 2009
I was born in Korea, Lived in New Zealand and now living in Australia.
I don't really know what culture I belong in.
Korea is cool.
They have sexy music ^^

New Zealand is cool.
They have sexy maoris and I learnt how to speak English there.

Australia is cool.
They got.... uh.... I'm not sure but I like the people who live here :)
But I hate them damn politicians >:@
あらあら。。。^^
Apr 5, 2010 11:00 AM

Sep 2009
I feel honored to be a member of the Vietnamese community.
Canada is awesome as well.
PseudoJordApr 5, 2010 11:05 AM
Apr 5, 2010 3:41 PM

Jan 2010
I'm quite pleased I was born into two Asian cultures.

My parents grew up in Vietnam but have deep heritage in China.

We speak TeoChew Chinese (which is a rather minor dialect), fairly similar to Hokkien,
this dialect tends to come with A LOT of unique foods which I can't live without.

And the Vietnamese culture my parents grew up in really shows in their food as well.

I wish I knew Vietnamese which my parents speak mostly to each other, while me and my siblings have to speak Chinese to my parents.

I also live in Australia which is pretty much awesome for me.
I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Sure some of you guys want to live in Japan blah blah blah.

But the inner South-Western Suburbs of Sydney, are fine for me.
Asians in my area, I won't find anywhere else.
Apr 5, 2010 4:35 PM

Mar 2005
Cowabunga said:
No.

I'm neither patriotic or nationalistic.

This.

I come from multi-racial country in Asia, but meh. It just created even more arguments between each races. In the end, a drawback to the country.
Apr 5, 2010 5:34 PM

Dec 2007
Ah, being asian sure is interesting. <----(Isn't specifying what kind of asian) >.<

There are some nice compliments that people say just because I am, like "Oooh, you're smart because you're asian" or, "You're yellow". Also, we (the asians and non-asians) make a bunch of jokes and stuff about being asian, and we get a couple laughs out of those jokes every day. And I kinda use it to my advantage, if you get what I'm saying (and if that statement didn't come off as racist)

And asian food is delicious. I just love eating rice every day with whatever other food item.
Zetsubou Shi- I'm in despair~ Me being such a horrible fan in a world filled with so many anime and cool japanese internet meme-things, not to mention games, ect. has left me in despair!~
Apr 5, 2010 6:48 PM

Feb 2010
I'm mainly neutral about it. Although, there are times where I'm extremely irritated at the stereotypes that are built on the outer, distant shells of my culture. Of course, there's a stereotype for every culture.
Apr 6, 2010 5:41 AM

Dec 2009
Each culture has its ups and downs but all cultures are basically good.
But what gets on my nerves is that some measure the culture of others by individuals.
For example if a small group american is lazy it does not mean that all americans are lazy
on the other hand if one muslim is a terrorist does not mean that all muslims are terrorist
Apr 6, 2010 7:41 AM
Apr 2009
I live in Utah... yes the mormon place...

It is nice and quiet, which is nice at times... but on the flip side it can be very irritating, especially since everything closes by like 8 or 9, and most places are not open on sunday.

It is nice that you don't have to worry about security much around here, you could leave a couple hundred bucks in the open and generally people would not even consider taking it, it is nice not needing to worry about having your stuff being klepto'd all the time.

At the same time I think my biggest problem is that people tend to all have the view point, and as such the culture tends to be very close minded. I had a few problems growing up in the area with people who did not like my "sacrilege"

For someone raising children, the area is probably pretty good, as long as you try to keep them from becoming indoctronated into all the ideals of the region... but for a young adult... not so much. I would like to move away for a while to have something a little different; but not necceserally because I hate where I am.
Apr 6, 2010 11:38 AM

Feb 2009
ladyxzeus said:
Traditional food includes rice boiled with chicken blood.

so good *.*

Apr 6, 2010 2:19 PM

Nov 2009
Everybody comes from such awesome places, I'm so jealous!! X'D

There's not much left of British culture. All we have is the Queen (who does absolutely nothing) and fish and chips. To be quite honest, I'm not very proud to live in a country thats culture consists of an old lady and an extremely unhealthy meal. Deary me. X'D Whatever happened to tophats and teabreaks?!
curiouser and curiouser :)
Apr 6, 2010 2:21 PM

May 2009
SaraSlurpsCoffee said:

There's not much left of British culture. All we have is the Queen (who does absolutely nothing) and fish and chips. To be quite honest, I'm not very proud to live in a country thats culture consists of an old lady and an extremely unhealthy meal. Deary me. X'D Whatever happened to tophats and teabreaks?!
You have some of the funniest people, though. Mr. Bean will remain my, er, hero for a very long time.
Apr 6, 2010 2:47 PM

Mar 2010
I take my culture for granted.
I do not, and probably won't, take another culture.
Sig deleted for being obnoxious.
Apr 6, 2010 6:41 PM

Dec 2008
Athena said:
SaraSlurpsCoffee said:

You have some of the funniest people, though. Mr. Bean will remain my, er, hero for a very long time.

I like Blackadder more than Mr. Bean though.

About my culture... Well I love it (culture, not politics). I went from studying my own culture's history to tracing my lineage back to a dynastic family near the borders of Eastern China 1200 - 1400 years ago. It's fun to know these things.
Apr 6, 2010 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
For ppl that live in America, I think it sorta depends on which state you live in. I can't say the culture in NY is gonna be the same for Kansas. However, it's so diverse here! Not only do i experience my american and korean culture, I get involved with many others. Especially the FOOD! Yummm.

I am NOT patriotic or proud of my nation and my heritage. I think ppl should just enjoy life the way they want to without any limitations of their environment and their backgrounds.
Apr 10, 2010 9:28 AM

Dec 2009
I'm brazilian, so my culture is so mixed and changed that I think I don't have something i can call "brazilian culture" at all, and the way some people see us outside the country makes me boil with anger. So I hate my "culture" just because i love it.
Apr 10, 2010 10:36 AM

Mar 2010
I live on the Jersey Shore, which would be nice if the people acted a little different. Other than that, I'm 50% Italian, 25% Irish and 25% Dutch. I don't know much about my heritage though, which is okay with me, it hasn't affected me much.
Apr 10, 2010 1:58 PM
Feb 2010
Hotstrawberry said:
There isn't much to the British culture.
Apr 10, 2010 2:10 PM

Oct 2008
Culture? What culture?
Perhaps the things that I like here are the weather and some history...but that's all. Nothing special really. I could be so much better living in other countries.
Apr 10, 2010 2:15 PM

Mar 2010
We eat rice and beans over here.
Apr 10, 2010 2:20 PM

Dec 2008
I've lived in Canada my whole life and I love living in a multicultural society. It's so interesting and fun to learn about others' cultures, especially trying out all the different foods xD

My background, however, is Japanese/Filipino. I can't say I know a whole lot about either of them (never been to Japan or the Philippines and I can't speak the languages, for example), but I am definitely not ashamed of being a part of either of these cultures ^^
Apr 10, 2010 4:52 PM

Feb 2010
I'm German and living in Germany. I'm not a big fan of foreign countries.. everytime I've been to one I always wanted to go back to Germany as soon as possible.
Well I've met a lot of people that called me a nazi cause I'm German. Those people sometimes make me go raging..(yes I'm very irritable..and you'd be too if you met A LOT of those ppl) they're just jealous of what germans did for the world!(Don't get me wrong..) I am a proud German! =)
Apr 10, 2010 7:44 PM

Mar 2010
Aeterna said:
I've lived in Canada my whole life and I love living in a multicultural society. It's so interesting and fun to learn about others' cultures, especially trying out all the different foods xD

My background, however, is Japanese/Filipino. I can't say I know a whole lot about either of them (never been to Japan or the Philippines and I can't speak the languages, for example), but I am definitely not ashamed of being a part of either of these cultures ^^

I think your lucky..your background is a part of my dreams xD
I'm Filipino and I want to be half Japanese =D
I live in Canada too and I cant speak my own language ( something in common ;D )
Apr 19, 2010 2:50 PM

May 2009
Personally I live in America and I think my country is just way too mess-up and materialistic. Ahh... what I wouldn't give for the Grover Cleavland Administration...*sigh*
Apr 19, 2010 4:05 PM

Apr 2010
To keep things short, I'm moving out of the country after high school.
Apr 19, 2010 4:11 PM

Nov 2009
I live in the UK, and although there are somthings I am very proud of, I find it to be a very judgmental culture.
Apr 19, 2010 4:24 PM

Mar 2010
i hate it. I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!
Apr 19, 2010 4:55 PM

Feb 2010
Coming from Cambodia, Nothing I can really say but I do like living in the west. Where I really realize I take my life for granted now and what I have. No matter what goes on in Canada, I still love it.
Apr 19, 2010 5:41 PM
Jul 2009
I'm an american and I speak American, ENGLISH, not spanish! Thats what I want to yell and be affirmed of by everyone. Why it theres a one track idea that I look spanish so they just talk to me like one? I ignore those people in a, "just shut up," kind of way. One of the reasons I'm an anti-social person.
Apr 19, 2010 6:02 PM

Apr 2010
mark86r said:
I'm an american and I speak American, ENGLISH, not spanish! Thats what I want to yell and be affirmed of by everyone. Why it theres a one track idea that I look spanish so they just talk to me like one? I ignore those people in a, "just shut up," kind of way. One of the reasons I'm an anti-social person.
What?
Apr 19, 2010 6:49 PM
Jul 2009
zharnotczar said:
mark86r said:
What?

Sorry I just felt like saying that, when I read the title. I hate the fact that I don't fit with other spanish people. I side with my American culture not the Spanish culture, which people take me for cuse of my look, my family broke from that tradition, but not far enough I think.
Apr 20, 2010 2:12 AM
Feb 2010
I Hate Culture. xD
Apr 20, 2010 3:39 AM

Feb 2008
Hell_Boy said:
I Hate Culture. xD

Essentially saying you hate everything about yourself?

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Apr 20, 2010 4:09 AM

Jun 2009
I tried to think of something positive to say about our country's culture and I found... absolutely nothing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.