Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 21, 2015 8:57 PM

Feb 2011
aots right here

Jul 21, 2015 9:05 PM

Apr 2015
Yep, i think i can say it. Overlord is now my anime of the season.
Jul 21, 2015 10:28 PM

Oct 2011
Death Knight wrecked them all. Including that guy. Epic

Dat mask of Momonga XD
Jul 21, 2015 10:39 PM

Nov 2010
Things I appreciate:
1. Well done pacing. Ep 2 could be a bit faster, but this ep is perfect. Fast enough to make things fluid and interesting, slow enough to leave details without overexplaining everything.
2. No censoring is always good.
3. Lord Touch Me is the only single comedy in this ep, but that cracked me up.
4. Momonga-sama is a very interesting MC. I liked its dual narrative, logical thinking and neutrality in morale.
5. PROPER BADASS FEMALE ARMOR. Could be better if without boob curve but this balance between sexy, badass, and realistic is acceptable.

5/5 will continue watching. GG madhouse.
Jul 21, 2015 10:53 PM

May 2014
Nice.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2015 11:11 PM
Jun 2014
Now THIS is a great show! I'm definitely going to be looking forward to future episodes! 5/5
Jul 21, 2015 11:15 PM
Jan 2014
With this pace it seems only up to vol 3 will be adapted at most.
Jul 21, 2015 11:30 PM
Dec 2013
This anime is amazing. My only complaint this ep.. wanted to see Albedo's face more and hear he talk more. SHe barely got any lines.
Jul 21, 2015 11:36 PM
Nov 2010
This episode was very interesting. Albedo's armor looks really neat, in my opinion.
Jul 21, 2015 11:54 PM

Jun 2015
So much racism towards humans. D:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2015 12:12 AM
Jan 2014
Sammy-Patel said:

Not really racism. The Nazarick inhabitants including Momonga think of those outside as lower lifeforms.
Jul 22, 2015 12:15 AM

Jul 2014
Things are getting really good in this anime! I'm very impressed! :)

Jul 22, 2015 12:33 AM

Jul 2015
The Gore!!! Finally a series with actual violence. it's been way too long since i've seen a recent show that uncensored

also good to see some great world building, hopefully politics will also play a major part in this. the politics was the best part of Log Horizon hopefully this also delivers on that front

Jul 22, 2015 1:55 AM

Apr 2013
Amazing ep, love our MC and his inner monologues, also like the setting of the world and how he perceives the world and those within. Glad its uncensored and the action was nice~
Jul 22, 2015 2:53 AM

May 2012
I didn't expect it to have that much gore. Best episode so far

I wish if he resurrected the parents of these two sisters
Jul 22, 2015 2:56 AM
Aug 2014
KuroYaksha said:

Throwing random shit at the viewer is exactly what this series is doing.
It's not proper world building, it's just really the slow (the first 2 episodes that is). With those useless two episodes, they could've gave us more info on this world and it's history.

There is nothing random about this. The events we did see this episode were:

A new character is introduced: Gazef. He finds a burnt down village, and during the banter we learn a bit about the current political climate of this area. The suspects seems to be knights from Baharuth, but apparently the local nobles are like nobles usually are so they might be behind this as well.

Back to Momonga, he finds a village under attack when observing the nearby area. He decides to intervene and drives off the attackers. From the villagers we learn the names of the nearby countries: this area belongs to Erantel, and it is close to Baharuth and Slane. The attackers were wearing Baharuth crests so it appears as if they were behind the attack.

We also learn a bit about the fantasy nature of this world; there are monsters in the wilderness but they are kept in check by hired "adventurers". This is standard for a fantasy world, but it needs to be explained at some point.

Now, what part is missing? What is random about this?
KlockanJul 22, 2015 3:36 AM
Jul 22, 2015 3:03 AM

Sep 2013
Holy shit that was good. Was thinking about droping it because of the slow start but this episode was the best of yhis anime season so far. 10/10
Jul 22, 2015 3:15 AM

Jun 2014
Klockan said:
KuroYaksha said:

It's not proper world building, it's just really the slow (the first 2 episodes that is). With those useless two episodes, they could've gave us more info on this world and it's history.

There is nothing random about this. The events we did see this episode were:

Agree with you.

I think the first 2 episodes are paced just right. The MC himself is confused about his circumstances and it's unnatural to just assume there should be copious amounts of exposition just to satisfy impatient viewers.

The great thing about this episode is just how much you actually learn about the world itself without any actual mega-monologues.

In addition to what ^Klockan described, we get a feel of how powerful the MC is, what type of magic he uses, his own emotions (or lack of it) on the matters at hand. I find it an interesting decision to not revive the villagers and I wonder what would happen if the memory-erasing magic doesn't work...

The massacre itself was a joy to watch. I'm expecting great things from show.
Jul 22, 2015 3:16 AM
Apr 2015
Damn Madhouse never disappoints. Best episode of the season. 5/5
OP & ED are amazing too! :)
Jul 22, 2015 3:28 AM
Apr 2015
vangoz said:
Sammy-Patel said:

Not really racism. The Nazarick inhabitants including Momonga think of those outside as lower lifeforms.

euhm no offence but that's like saying the Confederacy looking at negroes as lesser beings isn't racism... (and in general slavery)

This is pretty much fantasy species racism... but it's not like the humans in this world are that much better.
Jul 22, 2015 5:13 AM

Oct 2014
So much blood and gore o3o
Death knight was badass tbh
Can't wait for the next one c:
Jul 22, 2015 6:13 AM

Jan 2014
Hmm so the Momonga showed mercy and helped the humans being slaughtered in the village, that is quite an unusual spell caster.
Jul 22, 2015 6:50 AM

Aug 2012
Argg...I already want to see the next episode ...
Jul 22, 2015 7:08 AM

Jul 2011
CandyFace said:
Hmm so the Momonga showed mercy and helped the humans being slaughtered in the village, that is quite an unusual spell caster.

as he said, he had to request something in exchange to not look suspicious.
Jul 22, 2015 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
Awesome!

The episode felt so short
Jul 22, 2015 9:43 AM

Jun 2014
That undead warior looked so damn cool
Jul 22, 2015 10:50 AM
Oct 2013
KuroYaksha said:

If you think this anime is throwing "random shit" then I assume you don't fully grasp what you're saying.
ExplodingGirlJul 22, 2015 1:14 PM
Jul 22, 2015 11:38 AM

Mar 2015
Albedo hiding her beautiful expressions behind that armor ;_;
Jul 22, 2015 11:52 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was near perfect. Just enough exposition to push the plot further, but with sufficient action so as not to render viewers unconscious. In fact, the lack of censoring of the gory battle helped somewhat to hype the massacre.

The continuous self-discovery of Momonga himself becoming more Inhuman and detached from the mortal world was done really well this episode, and it only took him killing a few human aggressors to achieve.
The time they wasted last episode monologuing to himself after issuing commands to his servants really should have been used for the events in this episode and part of the next. Truth be told though, Episodes 1 and 2 could have probably been compacted into 1 and a half episodes, and still had the same effect.

I'm getting a distinct Log Horizon 2 vibe here, what with Momonga becoming less and less responsive to the plight of humans in this new world. It's like he is slowly losing his humanity, and his only link to it lays in his memories of his previous Guild members.

That said, he really showcases sharp observational and processing skills. To not revive the dead villagers because it would lead to troublesome implications down the line, requesting payment for saving the village to avoid raising suspicion, using his goodwill to request information from the village chief... these are all skills that one wouldn't acquire even in a game. Momonga is really damn smart, and really skilled at reading people, even if he knows nothing about the world he's in. His lack of empathy towards the weak, and his observation of how even his servants view Humans as beneath them, makes it easy for him to view everything objectively, no strings attached. All that, combined with his OP magical skills, makes him a formidable and extremely badass character.

kataklism said:
CandyFace said:

as he said, he had to request something in exchange to not look suspicious.

I think he did so more to honor his friend, the great Lord "Touch Me", than out of actual mercy. He had his own selfish desire to spread the fear of his name to neighboring villages, and to acquire additional information about the mysterious world that he inexplicably found himself transported to. He's already thinking ten steps ahead of everyone else (what with gaining information about the currency, the political situation of the world, as well as ways to acquire more information, in case he ever comes into contact with those in power in this world).

Absolutely love Mr. "Ainz Ooal Gown", but Albedo's armor totally takes the cake.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 22, 2015 12:29 PM

Jul 2014
This show is still wierd to me. Did he travel universes somehow or is he still in a game
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jul 22, 2015 1:40 PM
Nov 2012
abyss333 said:
This show is still wierd to me. Did he travel universes somehow or is he still in a game
Different universe and NOT the game one . Everyone there is genuine be it a human or non-human. Only Nazarick's NPC's gained sentience.
Jul 22, 2015 2:25 PM
Apr 2015
This is a must watch anime yuno! one of the best this season along side some others!
Jul 22, 2015 2:36 PM
Jan 2015
I honestly felt the episode was too short =_=

Seriously i m so into it (•◡•) /

that badass psycho Death-Knight on killing spree , overall entertaining episode , finally we r getting some action (ง°ل͜°)ง

Looking forward to more of this ◕‿↼
Jul 22, 2015 3:53 PM

Apr 2015
ahhh finally some action! c:
wow it's kinda gory but no censorship that's why I love madhouse.
can't wait to see the next episode. I hope there's gonna be more action c:
Jul 22, 2015 4:08 PM

Mar 2012

Note to self, don't piss off the Dread Knight.

Pretty great episode and loving the ED as usual~
Jul 22, 2015 5:32 PM

Feb 2014
Pretty cool episode. Glad that he decided to save the village. It was funny to see that girls' reaction to the healing potion xD The action was pretty good, although the part where the undead warrior dude repeatedly stabbed that knight was kind disturbing o_o

Yay Ains is learning more about the world he is in and making allies!

Very good show so far!
Jul 22, 2015 6:07 PM
Sep 2014
Well, this one was definitely more exciting than the other two. I'll keep watching ^^

Jul 22, 2015 6:20 PM
Jan 2014
One thing that's lacking is the reaction of the little girls. They should be trembling the whole time they saw Momonga.
Jul 22, 2015 9:24 PM

Sep 2014
Really wanted to see Albedo in action.
Next time I guess.
Jul 22, 2015 11:01 PM
Apr 2015
I got to give it to Madhouse for having the guts to do this. It managed to do what A-pictures couldn't with Gate Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakaeri. A darn shame since both where adaptions of a mature seinen novel.

It proves those people defending A-pictures again how without "brutality" you can't expect certain scenes to have the same impact feeling of dread.
Jul 23, 2015 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
That was brutal but I loved every second of it especially this part. I'm expecting great things from this anime after this episode. I wanted to see Albedo in action and it seems like I wont have to wait that long.

Avenger-senpai said:

frenze12 said:
I got to give it to Madhouse for having the guts to do this. It managed to do what A-pictures couldn't with Gate Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakaeri. A darn shame since both where adaptions of a mature seinen novel.

It proves those people defending A-pictures again how without "brutality" you can't expect certain scenes to have the same impact feeling of dread.

^ I agree with this, after Rokka no Yuusha's 3rd episode and now this one, it's very clear that showing the brutality gives off a very different aspect. I didn't mind it before in GATE but now after seeing the difference I really wish they showed it in a more brutal way.
removed-userJul 23, 2015 1:50 AM
Jul 23, 2015 4:14 AM
Feb 2011
The brutality, I'm loving it.
Jul 23, 2015 4:48 AM
Jul 2015
Valkata said:
I LOVED THIS EPISODE. DAMN. I am so happy he wrecked those bastards. I wonder what kind of monsters are attacking, and if he will call all of his guards to fight. I like that knight, that came at the end of the episode. I was sooo satisfied, when his undead soldier killed that spoiled noble, that wanted the other to die so that he can escape. It was great.
I think the monsters might be the goblins, Momonga gave two horns to the two girls he saved in the village, i think they might have called the goblins over. Atleast thats the most logic for me, but i don't hope they have, if they have i hope there is a big ass monster attacking them. :D
Jul 23, 2015 4:54 AM

Dec 2012
This episode is just awesome, a lot of actions and new information about the world. So some kingdoms seems to be aggressive with the NPC. The MC defended a village with his powers and a lot of death.
The next seems to be interesting.
Jul 23, 2015 6:29 AM

Nov 2014
yay, it gets pretty interesting
Jul 23, 2015 6:56 AM

Aug 2012
I think Momonga started to forget being human.Albedo's armor got me like "oh my oh my legendary armor set".And the mask made me laugh lol.Serie getting better and better.

Last but not least horraaaay for no-cencors
Jul 23, 2015 8:23 AM

Sep 2014
Avenger-senpai said:

Note to self, don't piss off the Dread Knight.

Pretty great episode and loving the ED as usual~

I'm ok with bloody stuffs when It uses well (Berserk anyone?), but I'm quite "confuse".
Is it the fact It has a brutal and gory moment or because It has no censors people enjoying this moment?
Jul 23, 2015 12:05 PM
Jan 2010
Gotta love those D&D spell names
Jul 23, 2015 12:10 PM
Jun 2015
This episode was great. However, there is something bothering me: The censors:
Yes, there were censors, it was gory and they showed much but not all. The knight decapitated one of the humans and it was censored. It wasnt really noticeable so the censor itself isnt the problemm. The problem is, that i heard this anime will have gorier ( this the right word ?) scenes from what Ive heard so I think they will be censoring them. Maybe they wont but I better dont get my hopes up.
still 5/5 episode
Baku0009Jul 23, 2015 12:28 PM
Jul 23, 2015 4:08 PM

May 2014
HandsomeMan said:
Holy shit, this honestly felt like 10 minutes. I thought the first half was done and then the ED started playing. I must be really into this.

Pretty much this.
Episode felt was shorter than normal.

Albedo's armor really reminds me of Accel world's Kuroyukihime's armor.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.