Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 7, 2013 6:05 PM
Nov 2011
So, Im looking for a Gender Bender manga/anime about a (originally) male protagonist, it can be any of the classic scenarios (he's forced to dress as a girl for *insert reason*, he actually changes into a girl because *insert reason*, etc) or it could be a unique scenario too. I don't want it to be him wanting to do it originally, although it's ok if, as the story goes, he starts to become ok with it. I would prefer it to have romance in it, with the (originally) male protagonist and an (actually) female character (harem always preferred but not necessary)

I would rather it to be a little more 'serious' than your average, or at least from the ones I've read, manga, since it seems that most are just total comedies, if not out-right gag comics, I don't mind them being comical, but I don't want them to be just straight comedies, since there is so much room with this type of plot for an actual serious development.

Any setting/theme/genre is fine, except Yaoi/Yuri/H....wait....I guess if it's Gender Bender...would it...technically...be yuri..or...if I think about this anymore, my head may start hurting

Dec 7, 2013 6:12 PM

Sep 2012
How could you say you want a "serious" story about gender bender (AKA, transgenderism), and then ask for something where the main character isn't transgendered (doesn't even want to crossdress/change gender/whatever) and is forced to do it? And then say you prefer it to be a harem.

That just doesn't make any sense.

It's like asking for a "serious" yuri anime, but the characters aren't actually lesbian. They're just forced to have sex with each other.

If you want a serious take on transgenderism/crossdressing, read Bokura no Hentai. But it doesn't fit your request.
Dec 7, 2013 6:25 PM

Jun 2013
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, as I have never seen it. However, apparently it has something to do with transgender stuff?
Hourou Musuko
Dec 7, 2013 6:50 PM
Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
How could you say you want a "serious" story about gender bender (AKA, transgenderism), and then ask for something where the main character isn't transgendered (doesn't even want to crossdress/change gender/whatever) and is forced to do it? And then say you prefer it to be a harem.

First, I prefer it to be harem just because I prefer harems, it has nothing to do with any other content about anything. The term Gender Bender is more about transvestites than transgenders, and transvestites is the umbrella which both cross dressers and transgenders fall under. And the term itself has absolutely nothing to do with any feelings of the person involved. I may have used the wrong term to describe what I was looking for when I said 'serious', I simply thought that was the most fitting term, but to clarify, when I said 'serious' what I meant was something that wasn't a complete gag manga or a total comedy that doesn't even try to be serious or....dramatic? maybe...

Dec 7, 2013 8:00 PM
Nov 2011
Out of the ones you listed, I've read My Heart, Yamada Kun, and am currently reading Pretty Face, and yeah, these are the exact kind of thing I am talking about, so I'll check the others out too, thanks Pk

Dec 7, 2013 10:11 PM

Jul 2013
Friend of mine stepped up to the podium;

After Shcool Nightmare | Manga Fox

http://myanimelist.net/manga/2686/Ai_wo_Utau_Yori_Ore_ni_Oborero! | Manga Fox

Kanojo ni Naru hi | Manga Fox

http://myanimelist.net/manga/20882/Kaichuu! | Manga Fox

Marugoto Anju Gakuen | Manga Fox

No Side (no mal link) | Manga Fox

Yureka | Manga Fox

Friend here, had to double check since OP asked for male protagonist. If you feel like having some female protagonists just give me a call. I hardly remember all the shit I've read over the past 10 or so years since I'm bad at bookmarking it, but these came to mind. Pretty face is very good, but 1/2 prince, nononono is female protagonists posing as males thought, but I would recommend them.

Other mangas with female protagonists that I would recommend:

Tokyo Crazy Paradise | Manga Fox

W Juliet | Manga Fox

Angel Diary | Manga Fox

Love in the Mask | Manga Fox

Happy reading.

Edit: formatting and note; some may be considered semi-nsfw.
LommelunDec 7, 2013 10:41 PM
Dec 7, 2013 10:15 PM

Feb 2010
Dec 8, 2013 4:48 AM
Nov 2011
Ok, I'll check them out, thanks Vanisher, and Lommelun, Im not too interested in female protagonists, but I am open enough that I will at least check a couple of the ones you suggested, thanks

Dec 8, 2013 7:00 AM
Sep 2007
Anime wise, I'd recommend

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1569/Otome_wa_Boku_ni_Koishiteru

There's a romance with a harem slant. I thought it's particularly well done because the protagonist is worthwhile and all the girls grew/became better persons through the series.

Can give it a shot if you have the bandwidth. :)
Dec 8, 2013 7:00 AM

Apr 2013
Tenshi Ja Nai!!
"I'm humble and tolerant man, but there are three things I simply can't forgive. People who give me orders, people who stand against me and..."

- Loki [Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai]
Dec 15, 2013 11:14 PM
Dec 15, 2013 11:38 PM

Sep 2009
http://myanimelist.net/manga/448/Tenshi_Kinryouku
Pretty serious, interesting plot, but it's quite slow, quite depressing, and just doesn't give a happy vibe (worth a read).

http://myanimelist.net/manga/16686/Bokura_no_Kiseki
Serious, but it's incredibly slow; contains a lot of over-discussion of things that completely makes sense for the characters to do, but tends to bore the reader when we're actually reading all of it.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/20694/Tripeace
Has serious parts; ends abruptly and badly =/
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 16, 2013 12:40 AM
Jan 2009
http://myanimelist.net/anime/509/I_My_Me!_Strawberry_Eggs

Watched it on a whim. Ended up really liking it.
Dec 16, 2013 4:57 AM
Nov 2011
Thanks for the new recs all

Dec 16, 2013 6:39 AM

Feb 2008
Gerentex said:

The term Gender Bender is more about transvestites than transgenders, and transvestites is the umbrella which both cross dressers and transgenders fall under.

I have to point out that is entirely untrue. Transgender does not fall under transvestites.

A transvestite tends to cross dress due to sexual purposes. It's an arousal for them.

Transgender individuals cross dress because it's the gender identity that they identify themselves as.

The term gender bender isn't more about transvestites at all. It's simply about cross dressing in general.

my source is myself because ... I myself am transgender lol.
I am become bunny, fluffing of worlds.
Dec 20, 2013 5:48 AM
Nov 2011
brabbit1987 said:

A transvestite tends to cross dress due to sexual purposes. It's an arousal for them.

Transgender individuals cross dress because it's the gender identity that they identify themselves as.

The term gender bender isn't more about transvestites at all. It's simply about cross dressing in general.

my source is myself because ... I myself am transgender lol.

No, cross-dressing fetishists are indeed transvestites, but transvestites are not cross-dressing fetishists, it's like the square and the rectangle, all of one is the other, but not all of the other is the one.

The term transvestite is used for anyone who dresses, acts, or takes on the role of the opposite gender, whether it be for sexual, emotional, or mental reasons. While I can certainly understand why this may not include transgenders for some people, they do fall under this, since, at one point, a transgendered individual was the opposite gender from what they currently are now, they just 'take on' the role to a far greater extent than your average cross dresser.

Please do not take anything I wrote in here to be insulting, demeaning, or any such thing, as I did not intend for it to be any such way. I have no problems at all with transgenderism.

Jan 16, 2014 2:46 PM

Dec 2013
If you want something comedic, harem and 'serious'/drama Hourou Musuko has all of that and more.
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Jan 16, 2014 3:40 PM

More topics from this board

» romance manga/anime with realistic relationships?

karo86 - Oct 5

8 by mo_lave »»
12 hours ago

» Beastmaster/Taming/Summoner Manga recommendations

DefNotJota - Oct 5

6 by DefNotJota »»
Yesterday, 1:36 PM

» Looking for a LN similar to "Fushigi" Toriatsukaimasu: Tsukumodou Kottouten

ImpossibleBee - Oct 7

6 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
Yesterday, 12:06 PM

» plz recomend me good anime for neets or college droo outs

NunoTheDudeYT - Oct 7

7 by JoeChip »»
Yesterday, 10:38 AM

» Want some underrated good anime

Roktim583A - Sep 24

15 by Paladin23 »»
Yesterday, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.