Forum Settings
Forums

can it be safe to say that one piece has taken over the dragonball franchise as the greatest shonen/manga/anime of all time

New
Jul 9, 2013 7:57 AM
May 2013
what do you guys think
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2013 7:58 AM
Mar 2011
sales say yes
but oda would say no
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 9, 2013 7:59 AM

May 2010
As far as sales and popularity DragonballZ can't hold a candle to One piece. Fact DragonballZ can't really hold a candle to any of the big 3.

HOWEVER

DragonballZ is credited as the pioneer of shounen anime/manga, and One Piece likely won't receive the acclaim of DBZ for really shaping that genre, as most modern day shounen elements can be traced back to DragonballZ.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 9, 2013 8:00 AM

Jan 2011
nope

Jan 2008
Maybe when One Piece finally finishes but I'll probably be dead by then so I can't say I care much to know.
Mar 2011
jimmykudo3000 said:
As far as sales and popularity DragonballZ can't hold a candle to One piece. Fact DragonballZ can't really hold a candle to any of the big 3.

HOWEVER

DragonballZ is credited as the pioneer of shounen anime/manga, and One Piece likely won't receive the acclaim of DBZ for really shaping that genre, as most modern day shounen elements can be traced back to DragonballZ.
jimmykudo3000 said:

HOWEVER

pioneer what
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 9, 2013 8:01 AM
May 2013
DateYutaka said:
sales say yes
but oda would say no

if we are talking about merchandise sales NGE destroys both one piece and DBZ
Jul 9, 2013 8:01 AM

Apr 2013
Dunno , all I know for sure is that DBZ is far more popular in my country than any other anime and One Piece is barely known . Also Bleach surpasses One Piece in reputation in my country .
DBZ was the anime which brought joy to 90's generation , atleast in my country . It's hard to surpass something that has been within your heart since when you were a kid .

Sure , it is annoying now to re-watch it but I can safely remember the whole DB and DBZ series , as well as I remember Bleach , as I remember Trigun and as I remember Haganai .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jul 9, 2013 8:02 AM
May 2013
Paul said:
Maybe when One Piece finally finishes but I'll probably be dead by then so I can't say I care much to know.

looooooooool give one piece at least 8 years till it finisihes
Jul 9, 2013 8:02 AM

Oct 2010
I think your thread has an awesomely long title, it belongs to the One Piece section and if you are taking influence and/or sales there is no discussion to it. Dragon Ball is recognized as the pioneer of shounen anime/manga, and One Piece is the current industry cash cow.

And indeed Dragon Ball is a lot more popular outside Japan.
Jul 9, 2013 8:03 AM

Nov 2010
I would say so. But of course it matters who you're talking about. In Japan, quite possibly but in the west, not yet.
Jul 9, 2013 8:03 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
I think your thread has an awesomely long title, it belongs to the One Piece section and if you are taking influence and/or sales there is no discussion to it. Dragon Ball is recognized as the pioneer of shounen anime/manga, and One Piece is the current industry cash cow.

pioneer how

Jul 9, 2013 8:05 AM
Mar 2011
koolanime said:
DateYutaka said:
sales say yes
but oda would say no

if we are talking about merchandise sales NGE destroys both one piece and DBZ

merchandise sales stuff made by Bandai [r Stuff sold by them ] then every thig else

Jul 9, 2013 8:06 AM

Oct 2010
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

Pioneer as in how it is considered. Dragon Ball is very commonly regarded as being the father of the battle shonen as we know it today. Which may or may not be true but it's tied to its extreme popularity outside of Japan, and the fact the Western audience associates the new battle shonen anime with this one instead of others that may have contributed similarly or even more to shaping the genre.
Jul 9, 2013 8:06 AM

Apr 2013
koolanime said:
If we are talking about merchandise sales NGE destroys both one piece and DBZ.
I didn't know NGE was a shounen.
Jul 9, 2013 8:10 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

Pioneer as in how it is considered. Dragon Ball is very commonly regarded as being the father of the battle shonen as we know it today. Which may or may not be true but it's tied to its extreme popularity outside of Japan, and the fact the Western audience associates the new battle shonen anime with this one instead of others that may have contributed similarly or even more to shaping the genre.

im not calling Db's infulnace to debate but id say when it comes to the trope creations RnK did every thing before DB did that is a fact

from yelling of attacks name to how characterization works in that sort of manga/ anime

Jul 9, 2013 8:11 AM
May 2013
SlothieSloth said:
koolanime said:

I think it stated of as a shonen until it became a bit messed up
Jul 9, 2013 8:12 AM
Mar 2011
koolanime said:
SlothieSloth said:
koolanime said:

I think it stated of as a shonen until it became a bit messed up

its published in shounen

Jul 9, 2013 8:16 AM

Apr 2013
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

im not calling Db's infulnace to debate but id say when it comes to the trope creations RnK did every thing before DB did that is a fact

from yelling of attacks name to how characterization works in that sort of manga/ anime

Honestly , how many do you think have heard of RnK?
If you walk in my country and city and ask randomly someone arond the age of 21-22 and ask "Dragonball?" he will answer "Aaaa , Goku , the monkey boy with reviving dragon!" or "Aaaah that anime with blonde super heroes!" ......ask them RnK and they will look at you like you're a weirdo. They even know what Bleach is , not as popular as DB/DBZ , but some of them will recognize the anime , same goes for Afro Samurai(I hope I got the name right) .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jul 9, 2013 8:19 AM
Mar 2011
BloodyNightsky said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

If you walk in my country and city and ask randomly someone arond the age of 21-22 and ask "Dragonball?" he will answer "Aaaa , Goku , the monkey boy with reviving dragon!" or "Aaaah that anime with blonde super heroes!" ......ask them RnK and they will look at you like you're a weirdo.

RnK was never rlesed out isde of Japan in Manga form and the anime was not resled until over 20 years after the manga was done

Jul 9, 2013 8:23 AM

Nov 2010
BloodyNightsky said:

I don't think he's saying DB is less popular. He's saying that RnK did everything first.
Jul 9, 2013 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
Both suck

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 9, 2013 8:24 AM
May 2013
BloodyNightsky said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

If you walk in my country and city and ask randomly someone arond the age of 21-22 and ask "Dragonball?" he will answer "Aaaa , Goku , the monkey boy with reviving dragon!" or "Aaaah that anime with blonde super heroes!" ......ask them RnK and they will look at you like you're a weirdo. They even know what Bleach is , not as popular as DB/DBZ , but some of them will recognize the anime , same goes for Afro Samurai(I hope I got the name right) .

looooooool
Jul 9, 2013 8:24 AM
May 2013
rederoin said:
Both suck

looooooool
Jul 9, 2013 8:28 AM

Dec 2012
Paul said:

Exactly what I was thinking.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 9, 2013 8:28 AM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodyNightsky said:

I don't think he's saying DB is less popular. He's saying that RnK did everything first.

thank you

Jul 9, 2013 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodyNightsky said:

I know what he's saying , I wasnt the one accurate enough . I'm saying that the most popular ones are the ones that people compare shows , in our case DB .
Jul 9, 2013 8:32 AM

Nov 2010
BloodyNightsky said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodyNightsky said:

I know what he's saying , I wasnt the one accurate enough . I'm saying that the most popular ones are the ones that people compare shows , in our case DB .
I know and he's saying that DB isn't the pioneer for shounens since it wasn't made first. I think he knows that a lot of mangakas got their inspiration from DB though because it was more popular.
Jul 9, 2013 8:32 AM
Mar 2011
BloodyNightsky said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodyNightsky said:

and as i said sales in manga by far is one piece db is only the 5th or 6th best selling manga of all time compare to One piece being a far distant top selling
only Slam Dunk comes closer

Jul 9, 2013 8:34 AM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodyNightsky said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodyNightsky said:

I know and he's saying that DB isn't the pioneer for shounens since it wasn't made first. I think he knows that a lot of mangakas got their inspiration from DB though because it was more popular.

side note for the last 15 or so year Toriyama has been more famous for Dragon Quest than DB in Japan any way

Jul 9, 2013 8:36 AM

Mar 2010
maybe in sales
Jul 9, 2013 8:37 AM
Mar 2011
Shinryuken said:
maybe in sales

no Maybe about that

Jul 9, 2013 8:51 AM
May 2013
BloodyNightsky said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

whats RNK
Jul 9, 2013 8:54 AM
Mar 2011
http://myanimelist.net/manga/14231/Ring_ni_Kakero

Jul 9, 2013 9:00 AM

Jan 2013
rederoin said:
Both suck
Oh you.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 9, 2013 9:11 AM

Apr 2013
Cabron said:
rederoin said:
Both suck
This guy.
Jul 9, 2013 9:12 AM

May 2013
You are joking, right? PLEASE tell me you are just being a regular everyday troll, because if you are serious, I think I may just lose all hope for humanity -.-

Dragon Ball Z and all related series weren't even close to being the greatest anime of all time. Sure, One Piece is better, but that isn't saying much when you look at Dragon Ball Z. The problem with Dragon Ball Z was that all the characters did were stand opposite each other talking and powering up for 10 episodes. One Piece is decent, but I can think of 10 Shonen shows at the very least that are better than it, nevermind shows of other genres.

Yes, both shows are very popular, perhaps some of the most popular of all time, but popularity does not equal best. There have been many examples of this. Hell, both shows don't even show up on the first page of this websites "top anime" list", which is decided by the average score from all users, and even then, it is still up for debate which anime is the best seeing as this isn't the only anime website in the world with lists.
Jul 9, 2013 9:27 AM
May 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
You are joking, right? PLEASE tell me you are just being a regular everyday troll, because if you are serious, I think I may just lose all hope for humanity -.-

Dragon Ball Z and all related series weren't even close to being the greatest anime of all time. Sure, One Piece is better, but that isn't saying much when you look at Dragon Ball Z. The problem with Dragon Ball Z was that all the characters did were stand opposite each other talking and powering up for 10 episodes. One Piece is decent, but I can think of 10 Shonen shows at the very least that are better than it, nevermind shows of other genres.

Yes, both shows are very popular, perhaps some of the most popular of all time, but popularity does not equal best. There have been many examples of this. Hell, both shows don't even show up on the first page of this websites "top anime" list", which is decided by the average score from all users, and even then, it is still up for debate which anime is the best seeing as this isn't the only anime website in the world with lists.

is one of the 10 shows hunter x hunter
Jul 9, 2013 10:02 AM

Nov 2010
Dark_Chaos said:

He didn't say the greatest anime of all time.

When talking about quality, bringing up the top list of a single anime site doesn't really help. And what other examples? And One Piece would be on the front page if it had ended already, it would be in 6th or 7th place if everyone kept their scores. It is also on the second page.
Jul 9, 2013 10:10 AM

May 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Dark_Chaos said:

He didn't say the greatest anime of all time.

When talking about quality, bringing up the top list of a single anime site doesn't really help. And what other examples? And One Piece would be on the front page if it had ended already, it would be in 6th or 7th place if everyone kept their scores. It is also on the second page.

I can name probably multiple shounen better than one piece...

1 Inuyasha Final Act
2 Full metal Alchemist
3 Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood
4 Darker than Black
5 School Rumble
6 Inuyasha
7 Yu yu hakusho
8 School Rumble 2nd Semester
9 Getbackers
10 Claymore
11 Air Gear
12 Shingeki no Kyojin
13 Maou-Sama!
14 Eureka Seven
15 Fate/stay Night
16 Magi
17 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
18 Zettai Karen Children : the unlimited
19 Ao no Exorcist
20 Mondaiji-taichi

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 9, 2013 10:16 AM

Oct 2008
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

pioneer how

But sure it is. It matters little who does something first. A pioneer blazes the trail for those to follow. It matters little that Michael Jordan wasn't the first to slam from the free throw line. Heck, from my understanding, Dr. J wasn't even the first to do it. But Jordan was the first to make it look like flight that inspired others. And he is the one everyone hopes to emulate when they try it. So just as Dr. J or Jordan, depending on your perspective, are the pioneers of the flight from the free throw line. Dragonball is the pioneer of battle shounen as we know it today. (A better example is that Kareem is the pioneer of the skyhook or that Tolkien is the pioneer for high fantasy novels.) In my opinion, by definition, pioneer doesn't simply mean 'the first to do it' when used in this context.
Jul 9, 2013 10:18 AM

Aug 2012
I laugh at the face of those saying "Dragon Ball is pioneer at shounens". They know absolutely nothing about manga. In first place, Dragon Ball is a rip off. But this is not at DBZ section, so blah.

In second place, this should be at One Piece section.

In third place: It COULD. The problem is that Dragon Ball is very famous at various countries for the fact, that TV shows episodes like if it was a regular show. Now, all One Piece got is stupid censuring, and for that, they even stopped bringing One Piece to other countries. Can you imagine the fact: Monkey, in portuguese, is "Macaco". But "Macaco" is for THE ANIMAL. Now Imagine Luffy saying "I am Macaco Luffy!". Fuck that shit, you would automatically turn off your TV.

For that, the only people that know One Piece, are probably anime-addicted people that watch anime regularly at PC.

Now in manga terms: Yes, One Piece did surpassed DB, in sales, in chapters and everything.
Jul 9, 2013 10:21 AM

Oct 2008
lupadim said:

Maybe he wanted the opinions of more than One Piece fans?
Jul 9, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2010
lupadim said:
I laugh at the face of those saying "Dragon Ball is pioneer at shounens". They know absolutely nothing about manga. In first place, Dragon Ball is a rip off. But this is not at DBZ section, so blah.

In third place: It COULD. The problem is that Dragon Ball is very famous at various countries for the fact, that TV shows episodes like if it was a regular show. Now, all One Piece got is stupid censuring, and for that, they even stopped bringing One Piece to other countries. Can you imagine the fact: Monkey, in portuguese, is "Macaco". But "Macaco" is for THE ANIMAL. Now Imagine Luffy saying "I am Macaco Luffy!". Fuck that shit, you would automatically turn off your TV.

For that, the only people that know One Piece, are probably anime-addicted people that watch anime regularly at PC.

Now in manga terms: Yes, One Piece did surpassed DB, in sales, in chapters and everything.

And we are supposed to take anything a guy with a luffy pic says seriously? I'm going to venture you didn't even read the satirical example about RnK.

DBZ inspired and influenced and shaped the current shounen genre, whether it was the "very first" or not is irrelevant. It's acclaim is far greater than its predecessors as well as its contemporaries

now please go jack off to a four digit episode long odyssey with poor character designs, below-par art and animation, awful stereotypical characters (minus Sanji) a hercule ass looking motherfucker like usopp, a fantastic 4 rubber band 12 year old. And multiple hundred ep series where each episode does not cohesively build upon itself towards a conclusion.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 9, 2013 10:24 AM

Feb 2013
Dark_Chaos said:

there nothing as best anime because people have different taste

so popularity is the best way to chose greatest anime

popularity= greatest anime
Jul 9, 2013 10:25 AM

Feb 2012
Paul said:

Nooooooooooo paul. You have to be part of the legendary group that has watched one piece for over 10 years.
Jul 9, 2013 10:25 AM

Nov 2010
jimmykudo3000 said:

1 Inuyasha Final Act
2 Full metal Alchemist
4 Darker than Black
5 School Rumble
6 Inuyasha
7 Yu yu hakusho
9 Getbackers
10 Claymore
11 Air Gear
12 Shingeki no Kyojin
13 Maou-Sama!
14 Eureka Seven
15 Fate/stay Night
16 Magi
17 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
19 Ao no Exorcist
20 Mondaiji-taichi

Oh wait you're serious aren't you. That list is horrible.
IntroverTurtleJul 9, 2013 10:28 AM
Jul 9, 2013 10:27 AM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
jimmykudo3000 said:

1 Inuyasha Final Act
2 Full metal Alchemist
4 Darker than Black
5 School Rumble
6 Inuyasha
7 Yu yu hakusho
9 Getbackers
10 Claymore
11 Air Gear
12 Shingeki no Kyojin
13 Maou-Sama!
14 Eureka Seven
15 Fate/stay Night
16 Magi
17 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
19 Ao no Exorcist
20 Mondaiji-taichi

Oh wait you're serious aren't you. That list is horrible.

I fuuly agree

Jul 9, 2013 10:27 AM

May 2010
DeathDot said:
Dark_Chaos said:

there nothing as best anime because people have different taste

so popularity is the best way to chose greatest anime

popularity= greatest anime

this might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Just cause something appeals to a wider demographic doesn't make it the best. If you want a better reflection you go with critical acclaim of the blogosphere, critics, and analysts and get a consensus from them. Its' usually not difficult to tell which anime is acclaimed or not. Anime that win awards at expos, and other conventions is a better standard of measurement

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 9, 2013 10:28 AM

May 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
jimmykudo3000 said:

1 Inuyasha Final Act
2 Full metal Alchemist
4 Darker than Black
5 School Rumble
6 Inuyasha
7 Yu yu hakusho
9 Getbackers
10 Claymore
11 Air Gear
12 Shingeki no Kyojin
13 Maou-Sama!
14 Eureka Seven
15 Fate/stay Night
16 Magi
17 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
19 Ao no Exorcist
20 Mondaiji-taichi

coming from a one piece fan, your credibility is invalid

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do people "self-insert" with weak characters

Anjuro - May 31

42 by Anjuro »»
4 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

142 by Ratris_Decision »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

25 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
9 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

30 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 6 hours ago

29 by Jackson1333 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.