Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 20, 2012 4:24 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It's getting interesting, too bad the first scanlation is missing the crucial page about the explanation on SMILE...

Caribou seems to have landed on one of Kaidou's islands.
NidhoeggrNov 20, 2012 5:21 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 20, 2012 4:26 AM

Jun 2009
It was really an awesome chapter. So this is what the "smile" thing has been all about for those hundreds of chapters (though I suspect it's honestly a little more than that).

Oda really needs to stop making me feel bad for Brownbeard, lol. Although I guess it's a shallow reason as to why I used to dislike him, which was no reason in particular besides being a poser. Now I actually quite like him.
Nov 20, 2012 4:30 AM

Dec 2011
Luffy finally made him shut up with that punch.
I hate how Oda telling us that Brownbeard is such a nice guy now...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2012 4:32 AM
Dec 2011
DON'T READ MANGAPANDA'S CHAPTER RIGHT NOW, IT'S MISSING A WHOLE PAGE OF CAESAR CLOWN TELLING LUFFY THAT DOFLAMINGO HAS A DEVICE CALLED SMILE THAT TURNS THE SAD INTO ZOAN DEVILFRUITS!!

I hate mangapanda, they can't do anything right. Spelling errors on every page, their stupid watermark logo covering panels, and they keep missing entire pages sometimes.

I hope that you'll read this post and wait for a later and better translation.
Nov 20, 2012 4:35 AM

Apr 2009
Omegatron666 said:
DON'T READ MANGAPANDA'S CHAPTER RIGHT NOW, IT'S MISSING A WHOLE PAGE OF CAESAR CLOWN TELLING LUFFY THAT DOFLAMINGO HAS A DEVICE CALLED SMILE THAT TURNS THE SAD INTO ZOAN DEVILFRUITS!!

I hate mangapanda, they can't do anything right. Spelling errors on every page, their stupid watermark logo covering panels, and they keep missing entire pages sometimes.

That's the reason why I usually wait for Mangarule after viewing the RAW chapter and a professional translation from elsewhere.
Nov 20, 2012 4:36 AM

Aug 2012
Nice chapter, NOW WE'RE TALKIN'.

The age of smiles, SMILE!, eh flamingo?
This world is mine. I think this world may even just be a long, long dream I'm watching. You guys may just be illusions, and it can't be proven whether or not you really exist either. In other words, this world was created with me at the center. So what will happen if I die? I don't know. My imagination isn't very creative; I just can't imagine myself dying. In other words, there is no way this world can completely disappear. But if I die, then everyone will disappear. I am the only one in this world who won't disappear. The rest are just people I see as if in a dream.

-Claire Stanfield, Baccano!
Nov 20, 2012 4:38 AM

Feb 2010
that was classic OP and never gets old !!
Nov 20, 2012 4:40 AM
Feb 2012
I never thought I'd say this, but Brownbeard is awesome. No chance in hell of doing anything, and he goes up against Vegapunk anyway, just for the sake of his crew.
Nov 20, 2012 4:41 AM

Sep 2012
Luffy punched the ennemy after his crap speech. Sooo banal.
Nov 20, 2012 4:43 AM

Aug 2012
Arlia said:
Luffy punched the ennemy after his crap speech. Sooo banal.

I would've punched him after that crap speech too.
This world is mine. I think this world may even just be a long, long dream I'm watching. You guys may just be illusions, and it can't be proven whether or not you really exist either. In other words, this world was created with me at the center. So what will happen if I die? I don't know. My imagination isn't very creative; I just can't imagine myself dying. In other words, there is no way this world can completely disappear. But if I die, then everyone will disappear. I am the only one in this world who won't disappear. The rest are just people I see as if in a dream.

Nov 20, 2012 4:48 AM

May 2011
Oh oh, Luffy is going on RAMPAGE!

This should be fun,
Nov 20, 2012 4:49 AM

Aug 2012
Holy shit, now that's more like it. It was so worth every panel of kids we've seen so far, the gears of war are turning now. Soon, we will see Doflamingo, and the Yonkou. Thank you Oda. I am sooo pumped :D

Another epic Luffy moment :)
Nov 20, 2012 4:56 AM

Aug 2010
GO LUFFY GO!!!

Plz Kick that guys ass already :D

I wonder which Yonkou...well I doubt Big mam or BB would do sth like this and ofc not Shanks so the one Law wants to go up against is Kaidou???

But then why did Luffy laugh like that after hearing the Yonkou's name? Does he have anything to do with Kaidou?
Barion-ZaraNov 20, 2012 4:59 AM
Nov 20, 2012 5:00 AM

Aug 2012
Barion-Zara said:
GO LUFFY GO!!!

I wonder which Yonkou...well I doubt Big mam or BB would do sth like this and ofc not Shanks so the one Law wants to go up against is Kaidou???

I thought about it in the same fashion, but hmm. Kaidou seems the least logical of Yonkou though, seems like Oda will surprise us once more!

Nov 20, 2012 5:02 AM

Feb 2010
Kinda expected that punch. Personally, the most satisfying one-punch scene was against Bellamy. The guy who mocked Luffy & co. strengths, trample his friend's dreams repeatedly end up getting ohko in a public face-off.
Nov 20, 2012 5:06 AM

Feb 2011
Who says it can't be Shanks?
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Shanks fan.
Shanks is a pirate afterall though, and him creating an army isn't exactly evil so...
I doubt it's Shanks but at the same time I wouldn't mind if it was Shanks either.
Nov 20, 2012 5:07 AM

Aug 2010
live2win said:
Kinda expected that punch. Personally, the most satisfying one-punch scene was against Bellamy. The guy who mocked Luffy & co. strengths, trample his friend's dreams repeatedly end up getting ohko in a public face-off.

Don't forget that one against the tenryuubito XD

kiDnameDSkia said:
Barion-Zara said:
GO LUFFY GO!!!

I thought about it in the same fashion, but hmm. Kaidou seems the least logical of Yonkou though, seems like Oda will surprise us once more!

Now that I think about it...it might be Big Mam...since she had Pekoms...maybe he's one of those with the artificial DF?...and that would explain why Luffy laughed like that XD
Nov 20, 2012 5:09 AM

Jul 2012
Brilliant chapter :) Explains a lot. Luffy's punches never got old :') love the Character. I honestly thought it would be an mediocre at best chapter.. but it was truly worth the wait.. love Oda :)
Nov 20, 2012 5:18 AM
Mar 2012
Excelent chapter <3 I loved how Luffy appeared with elephant gun and taked Caeser down. Brownbeard seems a good char and Caesar keep getting more and more irritating.

I bet that the Yonkou Caeser was talking about is Big Mom or Kaidou.
Nov 20, 2012 5:33 AM
Dec 2011
IT'S ME AGAIN GUYS, IT SEEMS THAT MANGAPANDA HAS FINALLY ADDED THE MISSING CHAPTER, SO GO AND RE-READ THE CHAPTER NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN FULLY RESTORED!

I wonder if my twitter message to them was what made them realize it, but who knows.
Nov 20, 2012 5:52 AM

Aug 2012
Nice chapter.
Luffy has returned to action!
I never go back on my words... that's my NINDO... MY NINJA WAY!!!
Visit my deviantART Gallery
Nov 20, 2012 6:02 AM

Apr 2009
If the structure of the artificial fruits differs enough from the structure of normal fruits (e.g. giving the user a permanent animal body, the most likely drawback of such a fruit), would it be enough to enable certain people to have two DF's (Pekoms, for example)?
It would also explain Bepo's appearance and Law's potential grudge against a Yonkou & DoFla. Maybe he left DoFla because Bepo was used in the experiments and nobody told him before it was too late? That, or both pekoms and Bepo are the rumored Minkmen on the Sabaody bounty list...

There was also a single panel back during FI where Tamago said they would unleash Big Mom's army of beasts...
It could even explain the ID guards as they may not only be awakened Zoan users (like Crocodile confirmed) but even awakened SMILE users - although we need more information regarding that matter.
This also offers an explanation where Law did get the animal body parts to operate both the inmates and Monet to fulfill Ceasar's contract.

And all of this was foreshadowed by Oda and explained/hinted during a single chapter...THIS is how you tell a story. take a look Oh Great!, Kishimoto, Kubo, etc.
Nov 20, 2012 6:08 AM

Feb 2012
I've waited for that fucking punch for so long and it didn't disappoint.
ZhouNov 20, 2012 6:14 AM
Nov 20, 2012 6:12 AM

Jun 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
If the structure of the artificial fruits differs enough from the structure of normal fruits (e.g. giving the user a permanent animal body, the most likely drawback of such a fruit), would it be enough to enable certain people to have two DF's (Pekoms, for example)?
It would also explain Bepo's appearance and Law's potential grudge against a Yonkou & DoFla. Maybe he left DoFla because Bepo was used in the experiments and nobody told him before it was too late? That, or both pekoms and Bepo are the rumored Minkmen on the Sabaody bounty list...

There was also a single panel back during FI where Tamago said they would unleash Big Mom's army of beasts...
It could even explain the ID guards as they may not only be awakened Zoan users (like Crocodile confirmed) but even awakened SMILE users - although we need more information regarding that matter.
This also offers an explanation where Law did get the animal body parts to operate both the inmates and Monet to fulfill Ceasar's contract.

And all of this was foreshadowed by Oda and explained/hinted during a single chapter...THIS is how you tell a story. take a look Oh Great!, Kishimoto, Kubo, etc.

I think Oda is showing that the structure of artificial and legitimate devil fruits DO differ, simply by their outer designs. And I think that you can eat both, yes. I'm leaning towards Pekoms having an artificial fruit.

It would fit in with a lot of Law's story. Another great example of Oda's storytelling is that both explanations for Pekoms, whether he's a minkmen with a devil fruit or a user of 2 devil fruits (one artificial, one real), they're both completely plausible. He does this type of stuff all the time.
Nov 20, 2012 6:16 AM

Apr 2009
Demonicpoodle said:

I think Oda is showing that the structure of artificial and legitimate devil fruits DO differ, simply by their outer designs. And I think that you can eat both, yes. I'm leaning towards Pekoms having an artificial fruit.

It would fit in with a lot of Law's story. Another great example of Oda's storytelling is that both explanations for Pekoms, whether he's a minkmen with a devil fruit or a user of 2 devil fruits (one artificial, one real), they're both completely plausible. He does this type of stuff all the time.

This is main reason why I love reading One Piece. Only he, Togashi and very few other author in this demographic are able to pull out such a great writing.

Another nice point in this chapter:

Look at the construction that is going on. Kaidou has plans with this island. And Caribou might just turn out to be one who leaks information about Poseidon and Shirahoshi to him.
NidhoeggrNov 20, 2012 6:23 AM
Nov 20, 2012 6:30 AM
Feb 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

Look at the construction that is going on. Kaidou has plans with this island. And Caribou might just turn out to be one who leaks information about Poseidon and Shirahoshi to him.

Ah, thanks for that. I knew that island looked familiar, I just couldn't place it.
Nov 20, 2012 6:57 AM

Apr 2009
Aldo512 said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Ah, thanks for that. I knew that island looked familiar, I just couldn't place it.

No problem.

We are in the age of "smiles", after all :)
Nov 20, 2012 7:20 AM

Jan 2012
Finally luffy does something
Nov 20, 2012 7:38 AM

Oct 2011
I have been waiting for this too happen! Hope Caesar gets some nice ass kicking
Nov 20, 2012 7:51 AM

Aug 2012
This chapter was AWESOME! Building up peoples hatred for the enemy, making us feel some sympathy for a character we previously had no/little sympathy for, expanding on Doflamingo's influence in the new world and a hint of badass from Luffy.
Nov 20, 2012 7:53 AM

Aug 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
Aldo512 said:
Nidhoeggr said:

No problem.

We are in the age of "smiles", after all :)

Oh Oda u brilliant bastard. He really had everything in mind from that time. I didn't even remember the word "Smile" being mentioned before, but it was and by Doflamingo too WTH?!

ODA Y U SO GENIOUS?!
Nov 20, 2012 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
First all we get is a bunch of people shouting the same shit for the past ten chapters,
then CC tells us that this island is...what we already knew since the start of the arc.

Then Luffy punches CC...again. Oda really has no creativity whatsoever. He already did this shit twice to the same person save for the tens of times it's done before and then gets praised for being "creative" lol.

2/5 because "i've been taking on guys like you all the time" is what I've been saying for the entire series -_- finally Oda decides to do one thing right.
End Zionazism
Nov 20, 2012 9:16 AM

Apr 2009
Mikasa said:
First all we get is a bunch of people shouting the same shit for the past ten chapters,
then CC tells us that this island is...what we already knew since the start of the arc.

Then Luffy punches CC...again. Oda really has no creativity whatsoever. He already did this shit twice to the same person save for the tens of times it's done before and then gets praised for being "creative" lol.

2/5 because "i've been taking on guys like you all the time" is what I've been saying for the entire series -_- finally Oda decides to do one thing right.

I think you read One Piece for the wrong reasons...not enough edgy grimdark for you?
Nov 20, 2012 9:26 AM

Mar 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Mikasa said:

I think you read One Piece for the wrong reasons...not enough edgy grimdark for you?

Or maybe you read my comment for the wrong reasons >.>?

I said it lacks originality and creativity, where's the grimdark in that? When it comes to theme and stuff like that OP is on pussy-level as it has none so even if it did it wouldn't be grimdark. So ir's actually welcome.

Back to originality, this chapter was another recycled garbage.
MikasaNov 20, 2012 9:29 AM
End Zionazism
Nov 20, 2012 9:36 AM

Apr 2009
So you ignore the tons of development we got regarding DoFla, Devil Fruits and choose to bitch about the doublespread at the end?
1) The punch was reminiscient of the Bellamy/Sabaody punch in regards to the panelling and people really wanted CC to be punished. Given the fact that he isn't a strong physical fighter this might even end the fight.
2) The Brownbeard parts were obviously placed here to get needed closure to the subplot. One Piece has always featured a lot of development for side characters. Is this your first arc you read on a weekly basis? Because Oda is finally slowing down to the normal pace we got before the Whitebeard saga kicked in and that is - along with the more focused chapters we are getting recently - a good thing as it prevents a rushed mess like parts of the FI arc.

And there are rather dark themes in OP, Oda just chooses to not expand on them as much as it is his intention to stay true to his perception of the Shounen demographic. This was mentioned in the SBS.

Personally, you strike me as someone who automatically thinks that the display of cruelty and violceny indicates good - or at least mature - stroytelling, which is one of the biggest misconceptions there is. Your ratings regarding Elfen Lied seems to reflect that. So once again: It is you who should get your priorities straight. While One Piece can be a bit repitittive in its arc structure, calling it uncreative and whining about plot points getting expanded and some needed closure is just as retarded as the guys who only read it for badass fightig poses. For someone who seems to prefer plot you disregard an awful lot of it.
NidhoeggrNov 20, 2012 9:40 AM
Nov 20, 2012 10:00 AM

Mar 2012
No, I already bitched about the whole chapter not just the spread. Just that the last page was the most uninspired.

1) As well as every single other punch moment. And wouldn't call it reminiscent. Maybe if it's done only a second time with a huge gap of time, then ok.

2) Development for side characters? Lol. There is NO dev. in OP, not for main characters, and surely not for supporting ones. Screen-time, yes. And how is just repeating the same shit we've already read again and again in Captain Obvious style closure?

Okay and a lot of Op fans try to justify things in their own way as to why people don't like things in the manga but let me clarify: No I did not like the WB war, so the whole "oh they dislike it because it's not as -epic- as the war" talk isn't true.

I actually enjoyed the post-war saga the most out of anything post-Jaya. And that wasn't all about action, but it also wasn't stalling and was never, ever slow. It was GOOD.

- Wait FI was a rushed mess? Huh lol

- If violence makes it all then Elfen Lied would be my favorite anime atm. I do like it overall though. Especially the music. Violence alone isn't much but if it's done well and in a mature way makes it good. Go watch DMC anime, it's crap. Lots of blood and for nothing.

A) Just adding violence does NOT make a series mature
B) Adding violence in a mature/good way MAKES a story good, or better than it would be without it.

This series is about adventure and facing challenges. If everything is dealt with in a childish way then they lose impact and the challenges feel lame. It's just a "oh no bad guy wants to hurt us", and then he is dealt with in the most ideal, heroic way and it's always in the same direction.

You come across as one of those peeps who mistake people who want a good story for action junkies and who quickly assume that wanting some violence makes us some death enthusiasts.

In the end, this wasn't even my complaint for this chapter.
And no, it's not a "bit" repetitive, it's probably THE most repetitive manga i've read, not that I've read so many but for a 700-chapter manga, this one definitely takes the cake even including ones I haven't read. So yes, it IS uncreative of Oda to do this, and it IS unoriginal.
End Zionazism
Nov 20, 2012 10:09 AM

Apr 2009
I also read One piece for the world-building and the adventure and i also enjoyed the post-Marineford chapters just as much as the Jaya arc (which is along with Skypeia, Alabasta and Arlong my favourite arc).

But it baffles me that you actually criticize the extensive world-building of Oda here. No character development in ALL of One Piece? Prepare to be laughed at by a lot of people because that statement is ridiculous.
Nov 20, 2012 10:11 AM

Mar 2011
@Mikasa
Agreed with the repetition, but then again if you put yourself in his shoes you will realise that he has 9+ mains to take care of. So it's kinda normal to stay focus on one basis and deliver the characters as they are (rather than have them make a 180-swap for the sake of being called developed). And the same goes for the routine of the arc. At the very least he comes up with ways special for each island that make the arc different even though it's the same routine.

And finally, the "oh here's the bad guy" comment of yours, is by far the biggest "given"
fact of shonen. Maybe you just need some seinen for a change.

@Nid:
Putting Zoro and Ussopp aside, and only a few momments of Luffy , no OP doesn't have character development for the mains. Mikasa accurately pointed out that it's just screen time.
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
and now we are two and one of us has to be shit."
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 10:20 AM

Aug 2012
sigh... I'm Robin and I find it kinda sad that I don't develop at all during the series. Also, I'm kinda Nami, Chopper, Franky, and I find it wierd I'm the same guy I used to be when others met me.

Nov 20, 2012 10:23 AM

Mar 2011
@Kid
All I'm trying to explain that it can't be in any other way. It's a group of 9+ people and the whole concept of adventure is to keep them together. So unless Oda splits them up and focuses 50 or so chapters to each and every one of them then things will stay the same. Mikasa is critising OP for the wrong reasons. He is right that OP lacks said factors
but considering it's purpose it's wrong to actually ask for it to give you that.
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 10:41 AM

Mar 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
I also read One piece for the world-building and the adventure and i also enjoyed the post-Marineford chapters just as much as the Jaya arc (which is along with Skypeia, Alabasta and Arlong my favourite arc).

But it baffles me that you actually criticize the extensive world-building of Oda here. No character development in ALL of One Piece? Prepare to be laughed at by a lot of people because that statement is ridiculous.

Yes. What world building? Artificial DFs? That's like the Edo Tensei ninja, fake-ass enemies, numbers and numbers without actually any quality. But that's yet to be seen.
This chapter, the middle third of it, was basically doing a recap/summary of what PH is as we already knew, kinda like a wiki lol. The second half of his speech about how powerful he and the rest of them are was actually good, and as I said, Luffy's comeback was finally something that I wanted him to say all this time, it's a relief. Because it seemed that everytime they make it some god-like impossible to beat a villain stronger than them but they keep doing it, so F*** Yeah... I haven't really liked luffy as much since the Baka song on Skypiea.

Yes, let them laugh (Teach reference), but that doesn't make them right, they have none whatsoever. For god's sake how many chaps?

In water 7, Ussop had some development at last, but they kinda undid it at the end of EL with him returning to his old self being the bitch of the bunch, that he had to apologize bothered me. :/

@Kanic yes but he also has way more chapters than necessary to cover them all and more, but he doesn't really focus on that.

And there's no strict rule that the bad guy has to come in the "Oh no" way for shonens, that's why the term "typical shonen [thing]" exists.

Sometimes, you don't even need a [powerful] bad guy at all in the story to make it good. When Sabo died didn't really hate the Tenryuubito as much as I hated how the whole op world was somewhat messed up and that was for me more mature than the half-assed slavery subplot that ended heroically too easily, too fast. And the current drug stuff >.<
End Zionazism
Nov 20, 2012 10:57 AM
Nov 2012
Mikasa said:

2) Development for side characters? Lol. There is NO dev. in OP, not for main characters, and surely not for supporting ones. Screen-time, yes. And how is just repeating the same shit we've already read again and again in Captain Obvious style closure?

Kanic said:

Putting Zoro and Ussopp aside, and only a few momments of Luffy , no OP doesn't have character development for the mains. Mikasa accurately pointed out that it's just screen time.

Had to create another account since it's been a long time I come here and already forgot the password for my original account but I just can't let this one slide.

I mean, can both of you explain to me what character development is? Because does:

1. Nami - hating Fishmen because of their evil doing in the past. Later on, she forgave Hachi in Sabondy arc (and not just complete 180 change mind you). Then, after learning more about the history of Fishmen in FI arc, she becomes more understanding and not hating them blindly.

So, that is a not character development then?

2. Robin - Go back and look at the her speech pattern toward the Strawhats from the moment she joined them in post Alabasta. Compare them with post Enies Lobby. She doesn't call the Strawhats by name before because she believes she is alone in this world and doesn't trust anyone etc. She called them by their position or nickname (eg. Usopp is Long Nose, Zoro is Mr Bushido, Nami is Ms Navigator etc).

After she was saved by them during Enies Lobby arc, she now called everyone by their name instead of position or nickname.

It's subtle, but is that also not a character development?

3. Chopper - refused to be seeing as a strange being, monster etc but during Fishman Island, he himself admitted and not running away from his self by claiming he is a monster and he no longer mind people seeing him that way. Plus, he is also being develop by Oda in this arc in term of his goal / dream - wanting to find the cure for the sickness etc. It is also a parallel in how back then he accidentally poisoned his teacher (and he couldn't save him), and now he needs to cure the poisoned kid (Mocha). Both voluntarily poisoned themselves for a good cause.

I can go on with the main character and note this, I do AGREE that some of them is being underdeveloped but since Mikasa mentioned side character doesn't get development...

Yeah, let's pretend it didn't happened in this chapter. Remember when Brownbeard first make an appearance in the post War arc? How people saying he is a joke character and not important. Remember his attitude when he first make an appearance in this arc? Now compare his attitude then and now. Still not being considered as a development?

We have got Caribou sub plot in the cover for a while now and now it seems like he is in Kaidou territory now. Does that also not considered as a side character development?

Buggy lust for treasure and his hunt for Captain John treasure is not considered a development? A character development doesn't mean they need to have personality switched to be considered as a development, mind you. Them being develop through their own motive, goal is also considered as one. Especially since their sub plot may ties in the major plot later on. Remember Garp meeting with Coby and Helmeppo back then? Remember Wapol and his Wapolmetal? Mr 2 rescuing the Baroque before them being transferred to Impel Down while he (along with Daz Bones and Crocodile) willingly not escaping with the rest of the Baroque?

What's the point of developing this side character then? This minor development had been shown to becomes part of the plot later on.

As for this chapter, I like it. Simply because Oda is now starting to tying up all the loose ends, the sub plot in this arc while at the same time building up for the later major arc. Gotta give him credit for being able to handle so many things at once.
Nov 20, 2012 11:00 AM

Mar 2011

It's a fantasy world. Author has to have both the mood and acknowledge the responsibility that he has to build his world on fantasy factors. Not 100% though there are fantasy stories out there that leave you speechless without really depending on these stuff.

It was intended for Brownbeard's character actually. I guess this just means you're not interested in the slightest in his misery (which is part of Luffy's driving engine).
Understandable and acceptable, no biggie.

Sometimes repetition is tiresome for some, for others not. But this type of scenario, the knowledge that the good guy will win in the end, it's there in most stories. Also, Oda derailed from it a great deal with Luffy's failure back in the war.

+1

He left for his own selfishness while he admited that he knew of the ship's condition. If not apologise then what? Also , if he returned "changed" then that would ruin a lot of his character and OP bets a lot on the special comedy that each of the mains provide.

Yes, he focuses on the world. That's what he has been promising pre-Grand Line(how crazy things are there, and what a grand adventure it would be) and that's what he is delivering.

Well, OP isn't willing to dwelve in the mentality of the bad-guy(which is a shame by my standards as well). Yes it is true that almost always the SH are thrown into trouble and end up fighting what seems to be a defensive war. But then again this has been the norm since the begining and the norm for an adventure for the sake of adventure, otherwise if ideals/emotions are attached and the SH go in the offensive things may end up rather unfavorable and sudden.

The slavery thing ended? It's a part of the overall WG/Dragon plot that we have yet to see (which is why I don't fully critisise OP just yet). We might see OP shifting gears at a hellish rate when that comes into play.
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 11:00 AM

Jun 2012
SilentTruth said:
Oh oh, Luffy is going on RAMPAGE!

This should be fun,

Luffy's on rampage every "arc final fight".

Idk, this chapter was interesting but, a bit boring. I don't care about brown beard, he's ugly,stupid,borng...
Ceasar's soo evil...btw. I'm only one who actually like Cesar?:D He's like Joker(batman) but sientist.

Art: 7/10
Story: 6/10(For 1.half of chapter)
Nov 20, 2012 11:14 AM

Jan 2008
Somehow, everyone knew what was gonna happen, everyone saw that punch coming, but somehow, it never gets old. And is always as amazing as ever.
Nov 20, 2012 11:15 AM
Sep 2012
Mikasa said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Yes. What world building? Artificial DFs? That's like the Edo Tensei ninja, fake-ass enemies, numbers and numbers without actually any quality. But that's yet to be seen.
This chapter, the middle third of it, was basically doing a recap/summary of what PH is as we already knew, kinda like a wiki lol. The second half of his speech about how powerful he and the rest of them are was actually good, and as I said, Luffy's comeback was finally something that I wanted him to say all this time, it's a relief. Because it seemed that everytime they make it some god-like impossible to beat a villain stronger than them but they keep doing it, so F*** Yeah... I haven't really liked luffy as much since the Baka song on Skypiea.

Yes, let them laugh (Teach reference), but that doesn't make them right, they have none whatsoever. For god's sake how many chaps?

In water 7, Ussop had some development at last, but they kinda undid it at the end of EL with him returning to his old self being the bitch of the bunch, that he had to apologize bothered me. :/

@Kanic yes but he also has way more chapters than necessary to cover them all and more, but he doesn't really focus on that.

And there's no strict rule that the bad guy has to come in the "Oh no" way for shonens, that's why the term "typical shonen [thing]" exists.

Sometimes, you don't even need a [powerful] bad guy at all in the story to make it good. When Sabo died didn't really hate the Tenryuubito as much as I hated how the whole op world was somewhat messed up and that was for me more mature than the half-assed slavery subplot that ended heroically too easily, too fast. And the current drug stuff >.<

I thought you dropped OP, Mikasa, lol. I recall you saying that in the Magi forum.
If you hate it so much, it is better to do so, after all. I'm not a fan of Naruto and Bleach since a long time ago. I sort of just skim them, but I don't think I've ever written big text blocks about how much I hate them.
Criticism is nice, but one-note bashing for every single chapter is obnoxious and stupid. I can say a generic "this sucks" about everything, too. That's not criticism, that's trolling.

Your statements are really freaking hypocritical, too, looking at character development for Bleach characters, for example.
PipokoNov 20, 2012 11:19 AM
Nov 20, 2012 11:16 AM
Mar 2012
The end was so obvious, but at least the info were interesting. I just hope these zoan guys won't just have animal face and bodies and be killed like fodder but that they will actually excell in their powers
Nov 20, 2012 11:21 AM

Mar 2011
@Pipoko
It IS critisicm, considering how one-sided amd personal your answer is I take it you can't tell the difference.

@Shadudge
All thousands of them o_O?
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 20, 2012 11:22 AM
Sep 2012
Kanic said:
@Pipoko
It IS critisicm, considering how one-sided amd personal your answer is I take it you can't tell the difference.

@Shadudge
All thousands of them o_O?

It is really bad criticism if you only bash everything. Obviously don't enjoy the series at all if you do that every single chapter, why still keep reading? I realized that with Fairy Tail and dropped it. Maybe I should do that with Bleach and Naruto, actually? I think they've been sucking for a long time, imo and I can keep up with the forums and shit to see the main stuff and how it ends.

I can't believe Vivi growing to rely on other people, Zoro's sacrifice, Nami forgiving Hachi and Jinbei, Ussop overcoming his pride and apologizing, Robin finding her reason to live and Chopper accepting his monster status isn't character development. Even Mr.3 helping to free Ace because he considered Mr. 2 as a friend, Conis growing some real courage to do something about the state in Skypiea, Jinbei growing to respect Luffy, Coby growing some massive courage and telling Akainu off, or hell Luffy overcoming Ace's death isn't character development. I'm sorry. What is it then?
I didn't even list all of it.
PipokoNov 20, 2012 11:50 AM
Nov 20, 2012 11:43 AM

Aug 2012
I agree that if someone doesn't like OP one should drop it, but I also believe in sharing oppinions--> though in this case Pipoko said it kinda messed up I support his general thesis. I don't understand the joy of writing such stuff on every chapter, if it's bothering you just quit it dude, nobody's standing behind you and forcing you to read how Luffy's punching his enemies.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to disagree about the character development because I think you got it wrong: character development isn't about changing your whole personality, else I would think of you as a pretty...well, person if you change it every 1 year and all around you do the same. I mean, we all change throughout the years ofcourse, but we change so subtle we don't even notice it for like 2-3 years unless someone says it to us outloud. Precisely this kind of change happens in OP, since the beginning, to ALL characters, not just the supporting ones or the crew etc. We see Sanji change the moment he met Luffy, we also see all change throughout the 2 years of power-ups and we see them change every chapter widening their horizons further and further. I think your "criticism" lacks substance, you may think you have it just because you watched this or that, or can find bad things in every anime; but actually you're just pointing out obvious facts you subjectively don't like. It's ok to not like the way Oda does character development, and it's ok not to like OP. No one is trying to convert you, just stop telling us that in a way that seems like you're speaking objectively and know better than Oda himself. With your constructivism as such you're no better than those people who say "awesome chapter"/"this sucks"/"I agree."

EDIT: and I didn't bother with grammar on this text, so g.nazis fof :D

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 95 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 1, 2009

28 by Zowabo »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 77 Discussion

VARIAchan - Sep 22, 2010

18 by Zowabo »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 68 Discussion

ToxxicTeardrop - Aug 22, 2010

24 by Zowabo »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

74 by thiagolixo »»
Yesterday, 7:58 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 879 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Sep 22, 2017

47 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Yesterday, 5:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.