Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 27, 2007 3:24 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
wtf was that?
What a lame episode.
It just screwed the whole series.
Dont you guys think???
Sep 14, 2007 3:14 AM

Jun 2007
The very very end should have been better but the overall episode was pretty cool.

So the teacher ended up being a cyborg, The kid ended up being half alien half earthling and Mathew ended up being a supercomputer girl that resembles Mahoro. So the only question I have is, was the alien race just robots with souls that had the ability to have and make kids? Thats kind of interesting.
Sep 14, 2007 5:28 AM

Feb 2007
What teacher? Shikijo-sensei just never aged in the anime (she did in the manga). I don't really remember the anime well, so I'll talk about the manga :P

Matthew was a super-computer created to be a sort of "god" to the Saint people. Her creator was also named Mahoro (looked like her too). Matthew made most of the decisions regarding the lives of Saint, making it an ideal world to live in. However, she had "discarded the motive of self-preservation" in creating the ideal world until it was too late. I'm not quite sure what's meant by this. Perhaps they just didn't have the will (or perhaps no longer had the knowledge?) to reproduce. Whatever the case, Matthew sent out Saint to look for other human races so that Saint could live on.

Anyway, I prefer the manga over the anime. I would have loved to have the manga ending animated rather than what we actually got. Oh well. I feel like watching it again though...
Sep 14, 2007 9:36 AM

May 2007
Manga is better than Anime?
Whoa thats good to know.

I was kind of worryed about that
Sep 14, 2007 4:41 PM

Jun 2007
Asrialys said:
What teacher? Shikijo-sensei just never aged in the anime (she did in the manga). I don't really remember the anime well, so I'll talk about the manga :P

Matthew was a super-computer created to be a sort of "god" to the Saint people. Her creator was also named Mahoro (looked like her too). Matthew made most of the decisions regarding the lives of Saint, making it an ideal world to live in. However, she had "discarded the motive of self-preservation" in creating the ideal world until it was too late. I'm not quite sure what's meant by this. Perhaps they just didn't have the will (or perhaps no longer had the knowledge?) to reproduce. Whatever the case, Matthew sent out Saint to look for other human races so that Saint could live on.

Anyway, I prefer the manga over the anime. I would have loved to have the manga ending animated rather than what we actually got. Oh well. I feel like watching it again though...

So wait, Saint members can't reproduce? How was Suguru Misato born then? His mom was the result of a human and a saint having a kid right (as stated in the anime)?

I guess I'll have to go start reading the manga now too.
Sep 15, 2007 10:42 PM

Feb 2007
I didn't say they couldn't, I said that they weren't motivated. I guess you could say that Saint's former society was incredibly peaceful. So much so that they merely just lived out their lives. My only guess is that sex or the act of reproducing just didn't sit as a priority.
Sep 17, 2007 11:33 PM

Jun 2007
so I guess earthlings will "motivate" them lol.
Mar 7, 2008 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
well for beings who live a long time or forever do not need to reproduce.

well abit late but i just watched this one. i liked it.
Apr 3, 2008 1:18 PM

Feb 2008
the ending is so Confusing! but still I don wanna read the manga... I guess I should be satisfied with that creepy ending.
Apr 4, 2008 12:36 AM

Jul 2007
one of the most fucked up and retarded anime endings ever :p
Apr 4, 2008 1:04 AM

Feb 2008
it was a so-so ending to an otherwise good anime.

i have to wonder why mahoro waited 20 years to recaporilize herself tho :/
if she really cared about suguru then she would have done it immediately and been waiting for him at that city down the beach.

i would also have liked a more in-depth epilogue, but thats a pretty common problem with epilogues :(
Apr 22, 2008 8:56 AM

May 2007
Kotori said:

Finally someone who shares the same opinion as me
Apr 23, 2008 2:52 PM

Nov 2007
Overall I liked this anime. I was pretty unsatisfied with the ending though. Could Have been 8/10 but I'll give it a 7/10 because of the ending. What was different between the manga ending and the anime ending?
May 29, 2008 10:17 PM

May 2008
OMFG... That was what I was thinking when the episode and the series was over... What the hell where they thinking...

Jun 2, 2008 7:05 AM

Jul 2007
interesting. still prefer the manga ending, though.
Aug 4, 2008 10:20 PM

Feb 2008
this really sucked, 7/10/ the ending was really bad imo. or more like a letdown, was the manga ending any different?
Oct 21, 2008 6:31 AM

Apr 2008
I'm really having mixed feelings about the ending, i kinda liked it.. But it was also kinda a let down..

Imo, 13 should of been the ending, and ep 14 could of been stretched into an OVA or something.
I really didn't think it was all that bad, just a bit.. weird.
Jan 5, 2009 2:35 AM

Aug 2008
This was the worst ending to an anime I've ever seen. I can't believe I got so desperate to watch the second season, since I couldnt find it online, that I actually bought it. F&$k!
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Feb 3, 2009 11:22 PM
Sep 2008
yeah weird ending, didn't dislike it that much, but just feels like a different series tbh. Man, suguru ended up being being so badass, he needs his own spinoff series explaining his life through these 20 years tbh. 7/10 overall
Mar 11, 2009 12:29 AM

Oct 2008
I know a lot of people give Mahoromatic's ending a bad rap, and I guess it can seem like a let down, but in another light, it can also be seen as really beautiful. Perhaps the conclusion of 13, more so than 14, but we see a story a sacrifice and rebirth in this, and I think, in the end, redemption, as they return to the time of the springtime sun. The endings of episode 13 and 14 really touched me, most of the stuff before the conclusion of the episode (i.e. seeing Shikijo-sensei again) was merely...meh. I don't think a story, especially one like this demands a tidy, happy, reasonable ending. Even from season one, we were reminded every episode that Mahoro was going to die, so it's reasonable to have expected something out of the ordinary. I thought it was in line with the series. There are serious mixed feelings about this episode, I know, but I think one could also take it with a certain grain of salt, considering it within the context of the nature of the series as a whole.
Mar 26, 2009 11:24 PM

May 2007
Weird ending, but I wouldn't say crap, it was just different, Mahoromatic was always a two faced anime, and the second face came out this episode, Suguru really became messed up but this is my figuring, he will thanks to the nostalgia of Mahoro(did she really come back, I will say no, it was just a dream) go back to Earth and reconnect.
My anime list
Mar 27, 2009 8:30 PM
Mar 2009
Alright, I will have to be honest. I read about the ending before watching the anime, and I couldn't have been happier. I thought Mahoro died and period. But I watched the anime ending and read the manga ending and so, my conclusion is this one:
I loved both endings. I agree, it would have been better an OVA for episode 14, so we could have seen a better epilogue or more of Suguru the bad ass. But I guess the writer of the anime wanted to make the ending like a Haiku poem, short, beautiful and moving, or at least it seemed to me that way.
Mahoro is revived. Period. They all turn into teenagers again because it was then when the happiness stopped. It is a way of mending the happiness and joy that were cut abruptly by violence. And the bitter, sad and lonely Suguru along with his friends, that were saddened by his unexplainable departure, became so very happy when Mahoro returned, that TURNED into teenagers again. But they did not really turned into teenagers again, that was just an image to represent the happiness they felt.
It was a Happy ending for a very good and funny anime.
Apr 24, 2009 11:50 PM
Apr 2009
jlalcaraz said:
Alright, I will have to be honest. I read about the ending before watching the anime, and I couldn't have been happier. I thought Mahoro died and period. But I watched the anime ending and read the manga ending and so, my conclusion is this one:
I loved both endings. I agree, it would have been better an OVA for episode 14, so we could have seen a better epilogue or more of Suguru the bad ass. But I guess the writer of the anime wanted to make the ending like a Haiku poem, short, beautiful and moving, or at least it seemed to me that way.
Mahoro is revived. Period. They all turn into teenagers again because it was then when the happiness stopped. It is a way of mending the happiness and joy that were cut abruptly by violence. And the bitter, sad and lonely Suguru along with his friends, that were saddened by his unexplainable departure, became so very happy when Mahoro returned, that TURNED into teenagers again. But they did not really turned into teenagers again, that was just an image to represent the happiness they felt.
It was a Happy ending for a very good and funny anime.

I agree with your whole statement. I'm happy that Mahoro came back. It could have been a long OVA to give it more time but overall I loved the series. I definitely want to buy it. To be honest, I expected it to end with Suguru being just all alone thinking of the good times but I was surprised.
May 18, 2009 5:32 PM

May 2009
Kotori said:
almost as bad as the neon genesis movie ending. so messed uppp!!!
best anime
girls bravo
dearS
familar of zero
midori days
to love ru
he is my master
they are my noble masters
Oct 3, 2009 5:44 PM

Feb 2009
This last epoisode was so creepy and fucked up... The ral ending for me is at the 13 ep... Titles and sad music and the minute off silence in that moment..
Oct 3, 2009 5:46 PM

Feb 2007
Spaidy_ said:
This last epoisode was so creepy and fucked up... The ral ending for me is at the 13 ep... Titles and sad music and the minute off silence in that moment..

The real ending for me was the manga's :P
Oct 19, 2009 7:33 PM

Jun 2009
Awful ending for such a nice serie...

I agree with you all that says ep 13 should be the real ending.
Nov 19, 2009 3:23 PM

Feb 2008
i was really dissipointed with the ending
Nov 22, 2009 12:45 PM
Jun 2009
SON, I AM DISAPPOINT
Feb 14, 2010 9:00 AM

Nov 2008
GAINAX delivers again xD
Mar 25, 2010 6:29 AM

Oct 2008
yes i would have feel better being sad and end with 13 then a...what can i say...a half happy? ending?
Apr 28, 2010 7:04 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
-_- rly retarded ending... if Suguru would have his normal personality still .. then it would be beter.. but this was rly fckedup
May 9, 2010 3:49 AM
Jan 2010
The end would be touching if ANY of that made even a little bit of sense at all.
Jun 23, 2010 7:18 AM
Feb 2010
The Mahoromatic series S1 and S2 in my opinion, is very screwed up.

1. Remember the countdown to Mahoro's death? One ep we have over 150 days left and the next, unknown (near 0). Does the meter even matter in the first place? Plus, when she had 150++ days left she didn't really seem to worry much.

2. The ending was really strange, it didn't explain a lot of things... like why miss Shijinko looked still so young (I'm quite sure in the dub version, she didn't say she's a cyborg or something). Plus her personality seems to have changed, and her attitude towards Suguru was super cold...?!

3. In S2 the secret human organization was announced in ep 1 or 2 to be targeting Saint and Vesper... but it was abt 8 eps later on that they surfaced again, finally taking actions.

4. Some things were resolved too easily... like Mahoro's declining surviving days and crises.

Ep 14 of S2 was... weird. Really weird. The last part was a dream or reality??
Sep 6, 2010 2:17 AM

May 2009
Wait, why didn't the teacher age?

How did a branch scar suguru's face?

Mahoro magically phased back to life?

Oh and episode 13: why didn't Mahoro use the airplane's landing gear?!

Confusing, but I really liked this episode (Why??)

p.s. Dirty thoughts are bad mm kay?
MalwareSep 6, 2010 2:25 AM

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Dec 30, 2010 3:05 PM

May 2009
So they have Maholo is back... except her soul..... mmmm...
Dec 31, 2010 7:16 PM

Feb 2009
Think more about the events of the episode though, as well as the ending of the previous episode.

He never really understood why Suguru acted like he did. Well, as I told him, he never really hated them completely. You will notice he had the broach Mahoro always had on her uniform. Even after 20 years, he still had it with him. That means he has always had a soft spot reserved for her.

He mainly only had a hatered of the Management androids because a management android was the reason why Mahoro had to sacrifice her life to protect Suguru which caused him to feel abaondoned and hate the thing that made his love dissapear, a Management Android.

Regarding the Saints, they never really forgot how to procreate, but just weren't motivated because of their extremely long lifespan. Hence how Suguru's grandfater scored with Suguru's Grandmother.

As for Mahoro coming back, durring the conversation Suguru's Grandmother had with Matthew. They were discussing the future of the Human race in Space, as well as a new emotion the Saints had come in contact with: Nostaligia. Becasue of that Nostalgia, which was introduced to the Saint's Collective Conciousness by none other than Suguru, they decided to recreate Mahoro as best as they could from the memories of Suguru's time with Mahoro for him and place her on the same Moon that he was on to fulfill his desire to see Mahoro again and to ease that sense of Nostalgia so it wouldn't plauge them (not sure if that would be the right way to word it) on their journeys wandering aimlessly through the universe..

Personally, after seeing all the episodes of Mahoro online, I kind of want to see what happened exactly between episode 13 and 14. What happened exactly in those 20 years between Mahoro's death and rebirth? I think it would bring more of a sense of completeness to the story.

@Malware: Not enough cleaaring for a runway, best way to land was skid across the tress to soften the impact when they did crash to the ground after running out of fuel.

Jan 18, 2011 10:16 PM

May 2009
Diablofan said:

@Malware: Not enough cleaaring for a runway, best way to land was skid across the tress to soften the impact when they did crash to the ground after running out of fuel.

I remember the plane hovering outside of the school or something, meaning it can take off and land vertically as well. I think they were just too cheap to draw some landing gear.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jun 27, 2011 4:51 AM
Jul 2007
The ending was the only interesting part of this series, the rest was very bland and generic.
Sep 28, 2011 10:24 PM

Oct 2010
It was an interesting ending.
They reason Suguru's Grandmother had the baby was probably because she was curious and in their perspective all the time they spend was not that much because of their life span. After having the baby she dipped, leaving Suguru's grandfather and the rest of the family to keep with her real purpose.

I agree with Diabolofan on the rebirth of Mahoro. It wasn't really to help Suguru, it was just to get reed of the nostalgia sentiment they had. They never explain why Mathew looked exactly like Mahoro though.

its always good to watch something different from time to time, to bad the whole beginning was terrible.
huh?
Dec 4, 2011 11:30 AM

Oct 2011
With a character like Mahoro, one of the greatest characters in anime history, they ruined the anime with one of the most messed up, f***ed up endings in anime history.
Jan 26, 2012 4:48 AM
Jul 2011
Before I start my rant about the ending I would like to say that I did enjoy the show. The ending for me wouldn’t of been a problem if it made sense, but It doesn’t.

Suguru yes needed to stay low for a while but one would of though as soon as it was “safe” he would of wanted to go back home to see all his friends and Minawa. Also why on earth did the Mahoro god thing leave it so long to return part of herself back to Suguru, it just doesn’t make sense.
Aug 21, 2012 7:08 PM

May 2010
i didn't really understand.. but as long as they ended up together!!!!
Feb 24, 2013 1:25 PM
Dec 2010
i liked this ending. it made sense to me. They ended up together and they can even realize some of those "Ecchi thoughts that are bad" now when he's adult :P

My understandings >
How did she come back to life ?
They made copy of her body and inserted her consciousness which was for some reason part of Mathew (multi)consciousness (was no explained - sadly)

Why did Suguru become bad ass android face hater?
Every time someone became close to him he/she died, leaving him alone and screwing up his hearth more and more. Also Mahoro's "death" was Managements fault (revenge comes on mind) and his own inability to protect himself (frustration). Another thing is that coming back to EMPTY house was not best idea (he would get reminded of her everywhere 24/7)

As for recap at the end
It was just remembering what happened in past to make it nostalgic or touchy.

Why did he turn into kid again?
it was symbolic way to express that their (his) feelings have not changed. They were just hidden deep inside of his hearth where he was still the good old soft Suguru protected by new bad ass Suguru "armour" showing on outside.
greenmartyFeb 24, 2013 1:31 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Oct 1, 2013 5:38 AM
Dec 2012
choyos said:
They never explain why Mathew looked exactly like Mahoro though.

what are you saying? in episode 12 or 13 the grandfather of Suguru tells that Mahoro is the personification of Mathew's heart, so of course they'll look the same...

well, the only thing I could say about the ending is 'GAINAX you certainly live up to your reputation'...
:v
Dec 26, 2013 8:25 PM

Nov 2011
I guess I'll rate this same as 5/10. Character development was slightly better but I felt almost nothing for the finale compared to the previous episode. Oh well..

At least some of the OST were better than the previous.
Feb 16, 2014 3:46 PM

May 2011
Horrible ending to an overall masterpiece of an anime. I wouldn't have had a problem if Mahoro died and STAYED dead. That's what tragic dramas are about. I absolutely hate the bullshit endings that revive the main characters for no fucking reason and spew eternal love shit all over the place. It's unrealistic and anticlimactic.

Mahoro's sacrifice in episode 13 was romantic. The whole build-up to the ending was spectacular, they share their last tender moment looking at the sea, they kiss, confess etc. before she self-destructs to protect him. It gives it a bittersweet tone which is what this anime was about from the start. We all knew she was going to be dead sooner or later anyway and the counter was there to remind us of that.

What episode 14 has done is completely and I mean completely shredded all the build-up to the ending (and in fact ruined the ending itself too). What.the fuck.was that.

I simply can't accept it. I'll pretend the anime and the series as a whole ends with episode 13. This is also a warning to anyone still watching this. DO NOT watch the 14th episode, unless you want to see something so abhorrent it makes you want to drive a garlic smeared stake through your heart.

That said, I did enjoy Suguru's badassery and new look. At least for once he wasn't a goddamn crying pussy.
"The feels man, the feels..."
Apr 28, 2014 11:54 PM

Sep 2012
Episode was interesting but the ending was crap.
Jul 13, 2014 2:58 PM

Oct 2013
weird fucking ending ??? why did they have to time skipped would have been better if they didn't great anime overall 8/10 for me dam that last episode
[/quote]
Nov 28, 2014 10:45 AM
Oct 2008
As some have already said, the ending was understandable, however it also really was somewhat bad.

I mean, personally I think what happened in Episode 14 was okay and it could fit into the story. But we are REALLY missing a few Episodes in between 13 and 14 that actually make it clear just what Suguru went through in those 20 years. If we would've seen that, and if just one Episode that'd be like a recap to those 20 years, especially the first years after Mahoro's sacrifice. The ending of Episode 13 was bitter and dramatic, like it very well was supposed to be, and those 20 years of loneliness in actual animated and not barely mentioned form would've gone along with that very well. Then after that it could've been plenty fine to say that Matthew kind of threw out Mahoro to lessen the pain of the Nostalgia, much to both Mahoro's and Suguru's happiness.

This way it's like you're eating something bitter and salty, and then get something horribly sweet shoved up your face. Whether you enjoy both tastes or not, they only taste good if they are not directly mixed up together. It's like putting chocolate on a steak or garlic into cocoa.

Thanks to that ending I subtracted a whole point from my rating as well. Smack in Episodes 13.33, 13.66 to keep the drama, and maybe Episode 15 to show us how the story and relationships would develop from there and all would be fine.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

6 by hitoki27 »»
Jul 19, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

7 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

6 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 5:17 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

7 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 4:41 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Dunkjoe - Jun 22, 2010

7 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.