Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 25, 2011 4:40 AM

May 2008
Ok... throughout this entire show I only was hoping that the end would surprise me so much that I would feel as if the middle part had not been pointless and depressing... next in the last ep there was only a song and subtitles so in the end nothing at all happened :S There wasn't any touching part, nor any beautiful part (except maybe the beginning), nor hope or any other emotion with which I could identify... I just hated the way the characters acted and wondered how in the world anybody could like this... so is there anybody out there who had the same impression?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 25, 2011 4:44 AM

Dec 2010
Yeah I was thinking the MC was a dumbass. If he wanted her he should've acted upon it and not just steadily lose contact the way he did. At least pork her once or twice damn son.

Still, at least there's a bittersweet tone, as although he wasted his life waiting for her, he finally got over it.
Jun 29, 2011 6:37 AM
Jul 2008
I think the point is that none of them told the person they cared about how they felt. Akari and Takaki both had letters expressing their feeling and they were never exchanged (Takaki lost his, Akari kept hers). Kanae didn't say anything as she realised that the relationship wouldn't go anywhere as he 'didn't see her'.

The middle section was my favourite part as poor Kanae as the victim of Takaki's inability to let go of the past. At least she had the cumption to realise that it would hurt for a bit but she would be OK in the end.

Takaki on the other hand destroyed his life with his obsession, hurt his girlfriend and Kanae.

At the end I think it was saying if you love some yell them, in life it is easy to drift apart and chance may never come again. In life things don't always go as planned and you have to move on. It is a move about seperation.
Jul 27, 2011 4:15 PM

Aug 2007
This anime was really disapointing. Yoo much pepople says is really great, but for me not. Is boring, really really boring.
Aug 5, 2011 2:09 AM
Sep 2010
I didn't like this anime that much. My friends told me about this anime i was quite disappointed by it. It really doesn't explain what is going on that well and i found things hard to understand. Or maybe I'm just stupid.
Aug 5, 2011 2:18 AM

Aug 2008
The background and OST was great, but the ending song....zzz

In episode 1 and it talked about how they missed each other so much, and episode 2 was about Sumida love Takaki, yet episode 3.....

I'm sorry, but I really can't take this anymore....It's such a waste of time for watching this anime, I though it would be great since the ranking was high...
but it's really disappointing....the guy is lonely at last and yet Akari got married with THE OTHER GUY?!! WTF?!
ReoAug 5, 2011 2:22 AM
Aug 22, 2011 8:48 PM
Jan 2011
i envisioned this anime to be amazing. i felt for the characters during ep 1, ep 2 got boring as it progressed and ep 3 and the scene where they meet at the trains grown up but they miss each other, that scene annoyed me. And the fact that the main character has wasted his life essentially and he is slowly dying inside - tbh suicide popped in my mind but they wouldnt do that in the story. I got angry at the ending and sad for him as Akari is getting married and can somewhat continue her life, it seems as if she managed to let go of him and progress through life whilst he rotted away... and everything could of been changed if words were exchanged. Heck instead of spending your high school days writing notes on your phone about your life why not send texts to her? same as damned letters! not hard to lose communications now that you have mobile phones dammit!

Sorry for rant i had really really high expectations of this anime and expected a happy ending but i was disappointed. Wanted to watch a feel good anime haha :S but it did have a good message to tell people although it being sad
Aug 24, 2011 7:26 AM

Sep 2009
I honestly thought that I was just crazy to be one the few that didn't like this anime at all. But It seems I was not alone after all. I took and understood the message it tried to portray(more or less). But even with that being said it still stands as one of the worst anime/drama's I've EVER watched....Highly overrated in a way I can't even begin to explain. I won't say it's "bad", but I will say it's not for me.
Aug 28, 2011 11:37 AM

May 2011
See? That's exacly why it's called a drama people. It would be totally pointless if Takaki just walked up to her and said "Why don't we go to my place and I'll show you how much I love you". I think this anime deserves a full score because it pissed off so many of you, which means it was successful as a drama. You all wanted them to get together in the end? Well tough, that's life people. 5cm/s is realistic. There are no fairlytale endings. In fact this anime reminded me of a girl I liked once and we haven't seen each other in... damn at least 7-8 years now.

But people have to move on, that was the message in this anime. "Don't waste yourself like Takaki" that's what this anime said.
"The feels man, the feels..."
Aug 29, 2011 1:26 AM

Jan 2011
I'm sorry that real life disappoints you people. Thank god this isn't like some cheesy harem/ rom com that spews eternal love all over the place. It doesn't exist, get over it.
Aug 29, 2011 1:46 AM

Jul 2007
Realism is boring though. I have real life for that.
Aug 29, 2011 2:11 AM

Mar 2009
I think it was good but not awesome.
Sep 24, 2011 1:15 PM

Oct 2009
I don't think there's anything wrong with the story, I love drama's, but it's the way it was put together that annoyed me and made it boring, also I think 3 episodes were too short to make a good story, that's why I don't like the movies, but I wanted to give this one a try.
Sep 24, 2011 1:28 PM

Mar 2011
I dont like it too. Lost about 1h30? of my life on this...
Oct 1, 2011 5:47 PM
Mar 2011
You're not alone. I can't get over the ending, I hate it. But that's just me. I still found it to be a beautiful anime, but I hate it. Doesn't make sense, I know.
Oct 2, 2011 6:36 PM

Apr 2009
This anime resonates deeply with anyone who has had a similar experience, and those capable of empathy for such a situation. It captures many of the feelings involved to near perfection, and for those who just say something like "he should've acted upon it and not just steadily lose contact the way he did," life doesn't work like that, and that's part of the beauty of this movie.

A waste of time? Perhaps it is for those too young or inexperienced to empathize, but for others that can, it's well worth the watch.
Anyone with over 10 shows ranked at 10/10 clearly needs to re-evaluate their idea of a 'masterpiece'.
Oct 19, 2011 11:56 AM
Oct 2011
The reason why you didn't like this movie is simply - You didn't try to like it. Didn't you really notice how less we know about these characters? This is not the typical movie where you are supposed to relate to them. Here you really had to be them and truly try to feel like you're in their position. This happens to people all the time and to get some reward in the climax you really do have to invest something in this movie - just like a relationship :)

I don't like to ask this but it would be really appreciated if you'd take a look at my 5cm/sec review. I think it's pretty good. Thanks in advance :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNF26KqPCCs
Oct 22, 2011 2:53 PM
Jun 2010
Scud said:

EXACTLY! I want my clichés! I'm sick of the real world; that's part of the reason I watch anime.
There are several anime that are drama and realistic but have a somewhat unrealistic ending, people running up to someone and saying that they love them before they leave, and the person says they'll stay or that they promise to come back, ssomeone who's really depressed that the person they love doesn't love them back, only to have the person come and tell them that they actually do, someone stabbing the man they love to death only to have her stomach slit open by some other girl that loves him and then said psycho chick cuddles with the man's head on a boat...
Nov 14, 2011 4:19 PM
Feb 2009
I didn't like it. Not because it wasn't a great movie but because it just reminds me of my own feelings of hopelessness.
Dec 6, 2011 1:55 PM

Aug 2011
I liked it. I thought it was a really pretty story. But Takaki's stupidity just dominates it. Why didn't he text her? Why didn't he try to see her anymore? He was in high school; getting together would be even easier. He didn't even try. It's his fault he was a miserable sack.
Dec 9, 2011 8:58 AM
Dec 2010
Someone once said that drama is like real life with the boring parts cut out. I'm sorry but there was just too many meaningless bits and so few emotional moments. The art was amazing though but that didn't quite cut it... And like the rest of you are saying; Anime isn't supposed to be realistic. I, too, want that sweet love story and not a depressing one about unrequited love. They could have saved it in the end but they didn't... I'm a little disappointed with this. :(

EDIT:
At least, after this movie, I think I can reach out for those I care about a little easier. Just to not end up like that guy in the end.
ThezlaDec 9, 2011 3:54 PM
Dec 9, 2011 3:51 PM
Jun 2010
Jay_Ox said:
I didn't like it. Not because it wasn't a great movie but because it just reminds me of my own feelings of hopelessness.

Amen. -.-
Jan 26, 2012 9:50 PM

Jan 2012
Scud said:

Basically sums up the movie. I was seriously waiting for something to happen.

I found it especially screwed up how he allowed distance to break their bond. If they stayed in contact, they coulda potentially had a future after college. Instead he throws his life away. He wants to see her again but does nothing about it. This is not encouraging or happy in the least bit. It's pathetic and disappointing. I did not feel sadness or end up crying like I excepted when I heard about this movie. In fact, I barely felt any kind of emotion while watching this except maybe a bit of sadness at how things turned out.

The only things I enjoyed were the visuals and sound. I actually found the ending song quite catchy.
iNinjaManJan 26, 2012 10:02 PM
Feb 4, 2012 7:51 PM
Feb 2012
very depressing indeed,
why the hell takaki wont see her sooner!!

lack of action lead to destruction of heart

watching this anime in the morning really made my day dammit
Feb 4, 2012 8:05 PM

Jan 2011
My favorite character in the whole thing? The troll train... Otherwise this anime movie tries to teach you a lesson by showing you the depression that happens if you do it wrong... If you learn the lesson, then you have a higher chance of liking it... If you knew already what the message of this anime was trying to portray, you tend not to like it as much but still respect what it tried to do... If you missed the message completely, you tend to dislike it to more severe degree...
Feb 5, 2012 1:50 PM
Mar 2011
Wow just goes to show you can never be sure an anime will be amazing. Never thought this would be that boring and bad. The character development seemed bad as I don't think i found out any more about them then at the start. Even the music didn't captivate me.

Obviously the animation was suburb and I actually really liked the ending. Have to give it credit for avoiding the cliche. I also kind of agree with the message of the film but found they didn't have an entertaining way of showing it. Best scene was probably the train trip with all the delays.

I hope I was just tired or missing something because I really didn't want to dislike this at all.
Feb 7, 2012 7:30 AM

Jun 2009
I get a feeling quite a few people are missing the point. I read through most of the first page and skimmed/ skipped most of the second page, but something stuck out. Everyone seemed to think he didn't act on his emotions. As the subtitle says, this movie is about their distance. The two of them tried to bridge their distance through letters, but letters can only convey so much and they led different lives and their previous heart-felt connections wore thin. Thus, they slowly fell apart due to that distance.

Think back to when you guys were in primary school. I'm sure you had a best friend there, or a group of friends. Do you still keep in contact with them if they went to a different high school? There might have been some contact, but its nothing like the good old days. You've both grown up; the paths you've taken diverged at primary school and the varying influences of life changed the two/ group of you/yours. Eventually you can't relate to each other thanks to the different lives you lead.

Also, you cannot forget that when they were broken apart, they were children that hadn't even hit puberty. Puberty, as you should know, is a period of vast change. Impressionable and prone to extremely rapid change, it's very difficult to remain friends with people you DON'T constantly hang around and change with.

Addressing everybody who thinks Takaki is a moron/ idiot/ ball-less pile of amoeba, I think Takaki isn't so much stupid, but suffered heavily from an inherent flaw that is present in all humans. I believe that he just wanted to maintain status quo in his life. He couldn't keep up with anyone else and ended up not being able to create any meaningful relationships with anyone (as far as we can tell). This is symbolised by the launching of the satellite; Takaki is represented by the Earth, whereas, Akari is represented by the satellite. Takaki is motionless (relatively; physics can go burn in hell for my analogy D:<) whereas, Akari moves on, sees new things, experiences new sensations. Fitting, if you consider that in the manga Takaki develops an interest in space. He yearns to be able to move on, but is unable to.

But beyond all the symbolism that this film is filled with, this film makes you yearn for the cliché happy ending; it is truly moving. I could write an essay, several essays even, about this film; it is packed with symbolism and varying interpretations can be made of the characters. But ultimately, the characters in this film are realistic depictions of people that you can truly care about and relate to, a refreshing change from the larger than life depictions of people common in anime and main stream entertainment.

In addition, this type of anime is one that only gets better as you grow older and accumulate more life experience. Watch it a year later, and the meaning that the film held for you will change drastically and you will be able to empathise with the characters far more than you were able to before. Using an analogy, it is like good wine, it will only get better as you grow older.

[EDIT]: Damn I spent way too long on this demi-essay. Well, guess I couldn't handle the criticism that the movie was getting. Not sure if anybody will read this in its entirety other than high school english teachers : S. Still, needed to get it out and exercise my brain a little.
ayayayayaFeb 8, 2012 6:14 AM
Feb 18, 2012 9:56 PM
Jan 2012
DraconisMarch said:
I liked it. I thought it was a really pretty story. But Takaki's stupidity just dominates it. Why didn't he text her? Why didn't he try to see her anymore? He was in high school; getting together would be even easier. He didn't even try. It's his fault he was a miserable sack.

Just this and the many others who think similar, I don't know if I've pointed it out before, but a quick point, this is how I thought of that side of the story.

In elementary school, they were still attached to the Cherry Blossom Tree. Once they met at the tree, and parted ways, they fell from the tree, and they petals will never meet again. The show is called "5 Centimeters Per Second" which refers to the Cherry Blossom Tree. They symbolize the petals.

Though I still didn't enjoy it quite as much. I think it would have been better off in the manga, goodness the art in this movie.

Voice acting was splendid, as well.
Feb 19, 2012 5:40 AM
Feb 2012
Ryuuza said:
You're not alone. I can't get over the ending, I hate it. But that's just me. I still found it to be a beautiful anime, but I hate it. Doesn't make sense, I know.

i share the same feeling too T.T... but that's real life .
In the end they walked down different paths, they went separate ways, but they once love each other.
customer2Feb 19, 2012 10:26 PM
Mar 3, 2012 2:31 PM
Dec 2007
The only flaw I see is that some characters could've used more depth (I felt absolutely nothing throughout Kanade's arc). Then again, this is a movie, not a series.
The movie is uneventful on the surface, but that's mostly because the "action" takes place inside the characters. The monologues are powerful and there are a lot of unspoken emotions in every single scene. That's why I never thought of 5cm/s as boring. The way Takaki and Akari lost contact was painfully mundane and people are right to call Takaki an idiot for letting that happen. However, I liked that about 5cm/s. Not everyone is that outgoing, not everyone has the courage and ability to deal with relationships. When Akari said she'd move away, Takaki was unable to comfort her. When they finally met up, he was unable to tell her his true feelings. And after they parted ways, he was unable to keep contact because of the growing geographical/emotional distance and their kiss which changed everything. I think you need to be a masochist little like Takaki to fully appreciate the movie, to understand his emotional insecurities and passive behaviour. It's frustrating, but this movie is not about showing strength and getting the girl. It's about the beauty -and sadness- of letting go.
Mar 3, 2012 2:42 PM

May 2010
at least re-watch, before looking like an idiot.
Mar 3, 2012 3:21 PM

Apr 2011
*Loses breath*

Where did you get that Phantom sig?!
Mar 4, 2012 12:14 AM

Dec 2007
hottbill said:
I'm sorry that real life disappoints you people. Thank god this isn't like some cheesy harem/ rom com that spews eternal love all over the place. It doesn't exist, get over it.

You think people actually act like that in real life? Nobody over the age of 12 acts like the characters did.

It was garbage wrapped in a pretty bow, nobody with common sense would act like the characters in this show did, grow up.
Mar 4, 2012 12:16 AM

Dec 2009
Renton- said:
hottbill said:

You think people actually act like that in real life? Nobody over the age of 12 acts like the characters did.

It was garbage wrapped in a pretty bow, nobody with common sense would act like the characters in this show did, grow up.

k sour puss lmaoooo
Mar 4, 2012 10:11 AM

Feb 2012
I didn't hate the movie, but I didn't really like it either. Too much use of symbolism and not enough actual substance. Shinkai doesn't follow the "show, don't tell" rule very well, always cutting to pretty clouds while letting some boring narration tell the story and not giving his characters any depth. Personally, I'd stick with Mushishi.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Mar 4, 2012 5:16 PM

Feb 2012
To be honest, I also didn't like it and often I can't interpretate things but what bothers me the most is and I'm actually surprised that no one came up with it, but why the hell didn't Akari do anything, too. Why do so many comments here give me the impression that only Takaki is at fault. Yeah, she moved on but didn't she love him, wasnt she waiting for a letter, too?
Mar 4, 2012 6:10 PM

Feb 2012
Zhou said:
To be honest, I also didn't like it and often I can't interpretate things but what bothers me the most is and I'm actually surprised that no one came up with it, but why the hell didn't Akari do anything, too. Why do so many comments here give me the impression that only Takaki is at fault. Yeah, she moved on but didn't she love him, wasnt she waiting for a letter, too?

By the end of the film I decided it was trivial to put the blame on either of their shoulders. It's something both parties just had to accept and move on from; it just took one longer than the other.
Mar 4, 2012 6:17 PM

May 2010
it has good atmosphere and art but the story's lame.
Mar 9, 2012 4:59 AM

Jun 2009
Simonian said:
See? That's exacly why it's called a drama people. It would be totally pointless if Takaki just walked up to her and said "Why don't we go to my place and I'll show you how much I love you". I think this anime deserves a full score because it pissed off so many of you, which means it was successful as a drama. You all wanted them to get together in the end? Well tough, that's life people. 5cm/s is realistic. There are no fairlytale endings. In fact this anime reminded me of a girl I liked once and we haven't seen each other in... damn at least 7-8 years now.

But people have to move on, that was the message in this anime. "Don't waste yourself like Takaki" that's what this anime said.

well said!

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Mar 11, 2012 12:50 PM
Sep 2011
From my point of view Takaki was unsure if their relationship would have worked after so many years. He obviously still had feelings for her but it was no longer Akari to whom these feelings were directed to but an idealized projection of Akari in his imagination.

He realized at the end how far they have grown away from each other, that a reunion would be highly unlikely. And as we have seen Akari has indeed moved on by even being engaged to someone.

Let's be realistic, they haven't seen each other for years, most relationships wouldn't survive such a long time span and in this case they were merely teenagers at the beginning when love interests tend to change easily.
Mar 11, 2012 1:00 PM

Dec 2010
In general this anime serves as a serious look into a true long distance relationship. No fairy tale endings, no sob stories.

In just one scene Makoto is able to show the viewer this, and that is the train sequence. It's such a fitting metaphor for the movie that just that one scene almost made me give it a 10. At the start they both eagerly wait for the train to pass them, standing on opposite sides of the track, reuniting once the train passes. By the end, Akari stops briefly, recognizing the person she had just passed, but is gone by the time the train passes. Takaki is still standing there however, hoping that Akari was waiting too. Finally, Takaki realizes that he has to move on to, and turns his back and takes a step forward. It's beautiful, really.

Anyway it's a movie about moving on. You can't let a lost relationship hold you back. Takaki lets several people that love him pass him by while he is trapped in the past, and ultimately he comes to this realization and starts to move forward.

The only reason that I didn't give the movie a 10 was because of a small lack of depth in the characters back stories to truly make those moments such as the train perfect.
May 1, 2012 5:11 PM
Mar 2012
Renton- said:
hottbill said:

I know this thread has more or less died down but I'll necro it anyway.

Like that one person said earlier, have you kept in touch with all of your friends from back in the day? Or did you drift apart? It seems like it could possibly be interpreted in that way.

As for no one would act like that, I think I might. Not sure since I've never been in a position like that, but I could easily see other introverted people acting like that.
May 12, 2012 10:53 AM

Nov 2009
Jay_Ox said:

And that, my friend, was the point.
Jun 21, 2012 4:11 PM

Jun 2012
i hated it too at first, then i realized that i hated it because it made me so damn depressed. powerful movie.
Jul 20, 2012 3:33 AM
Jun 2012
Don't get me wrong, I understand some of the feelings portrayed, but nothing touched base with me. The animiation, seiyuus, and music were great but the story bored me.
5/10
Jul 20, 2012 4:40 PM

Jul 2012
I suppose the story was great, but it was too boring.

I heard that it was sure to make you cry (or atleast close to), but i never felt anything.

I had high hopes for it, but it ended with a 1/10...
O'Hai :D
Oct 20, 2012 11:21 PM

Oct 2011
I can't say I especially cared for the characters, but I have to laud the movie for its realistic approach to romance. Those who are completely disappointed by this film probably expected some kind of miracle to happen. But if you look at it from a realistic point of view then you will see this ending is actually an appropriate one, since a real life romance story isn't always kind to everyone.

Jan 2, 2013 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
This thread makes me sad. It explains why genres like slice of life aren't appreciated nowadays.

The future of the anime industry doesn't look good at this rate.
Jan 4, 2013 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
Anyone who deslikes this anime is a doofus.

I don't care about your reasons.
This is a work of art.

And there is no way anime is "supposed" to be.
FFS' it's not one genre, it's an entire media format. It doens't have to be unrealistic and full of cliches, it doens't have to follow the exact same conventions and patterns. Now THAT is just dull.
You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!
Jan 4, 2013 12:49 PM

May 2012
TrashMan said:
Anyone who deslikes this anime is a doofus.

I don't care about your reasons.
This is a work of art.

And there is no way anime is "supposed" to be.
FFS' it's not one genre, it's an entire media format. It doens't have to be unrealistic and full of cliches, it doens't have to follow the exact same conventions and patterns. Now THAT is just dull.

Your making yourself look like a doofus by saying that you don't care about others reasons. There's something called personal opinion and what you like, some1 else wont.

OnT - I didn't really enjoy this film, was a little boring for me...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

109 by Kari-Haruka »»
May 12, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.