Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 20, 2023 1:37 PM
Jan 2021
What was the point of 3 seperate story arcs? can someone explain the deeper meaning cause im not getting it lmao
Feb 20, 2023 1:59 PM
Oct 2020
technically i think it's call 3 ovas that is combined as movie
Feb 20, 2023 2:05 PM
Aug 2016
_txhsin__ said:
What was the point of 3 seperate story arcs? can someone explain the deeper meaning cause im not getting it lmao

Yea no problem mate I will explain here. Hopefully, I am doing justice to the author when explaining his work.
The first story of a young guy and a girl is in an affair. Pretty straightforward until the distance between them increases. Guy tries meeting the girl several times by taking trains and making sure they see each other. The letters are another medium by which they are in contact.
The second arc starts and now they both have grown up. No letters are being exchanged at increased distances and other people have taken up their time in their lives. The guy is still somewhat in love with the girl and just can't move on from that relationship. The girl is also feeling the pinch of distance. Guy has quite a few female classmates interested in him but he is still thinking about the girl from childhood.
The third arc starts now our guy and girl are all grown up and the girl is doing pretty well for herself. She is working and engaged and the guy has a job but still thinks about the girl.
Suddenly one fateful day they both come across each other unknowingly and as they cross each other paths they both seem to understand that now they are again in front of each other. As soon as they turn to face each other the train passes in between them keeping viewers in suspense as to what will be the reaction from both. As soon as the train ends the girl is gone while the boy stays there waiting which implies that the girl has moved on from their relationship and is encouraging the boy to move on from it as well.
It can be deduced throughout the whole movie that the boy was reluctant to move on and this has led to his personal life being destroyed.
Now what the author wants us to know according to my knowledge is that as soon as the distance between people increases the strength of their relationship decreases. Even though in the first arc their relationship was strong as a rock by the end of the movie it was just reduced to sand at a rate of 5cm/sec.
Anyway, I enjoyed this as it was somewhat personal for me as I have also experienced this kind of thing.
Feb 20, 2023 2:09 PM
Aug 2017
Long version of my interpretation:

In life many love stories can happen. Very compatible people meet, they are happy and they feel better than never before. Sometimes they fall for each other on the spot and stay together, sometimes they finally let out the feelings they had for a long time. You could say that in many ocassions, the universe brings these people together in a one-in-a lifetime oportunity.

But sometimes...None of those things happen. At all.

Because just like people who are in love get together, many times they don't. In many ocassions there will be people with very strong feelings, people who are in love. But that once in a lifetime oportunity to stay together slipped away, or maybe it never came to begin with.

Sometimes love stories never get to flourish, and people keep their feelings trapped inside. They are also trapped by their own life circumstances: Travelling, work, unemployment, family, other relationships, etc. And all they can do is wonder what would've happened if things turned out differently.

Short version:

The movie is about the sad reality in which even if people are in love, many times that isn't enough and our lives take a turn to other ways. And we are left wandering "What could've been?"
Feb 20, 2023 2:57 PM
Feb 2021
it was ass ass ass ass
Feb 20, 2023 4:26 PM

Sep 2021
It was just bullshit no start whatsoever and they tried to show a sad ending but it was also crap.
Feb 20, 2023 4:56 PM
Jan 2021
I found it pretty confusing as well, I thought it was just me. However, the overall meaning of the movie is pretty good.
Feb 20, 2023 6:44 PM
Nov 2022
Alciel_Code said:
_txhsin__ said:

Yea no problem mate I will explain here. Hopefully, I am doing justice to the author when explaining his work.
The first story of a young guy and a girl is in an affair. Pretty straightforward until the distance between them increases. Guy tries meeting the girl several times by taking trains and making sure they see each other. The letters are another medium by which they are in contact.
The second arc starts and now they both have grown up. No letters are being exchanged at increased distances and other people have taken up their time in their lives. The guy is still somewhat in love with the girl and just can't move on from that relationship. The girl is also feeling the pinch of distance. Guy has quite a few female classmates interested in him but he is still thinking about the girl from childhood.
The third arc starts now our guy and girl are all grown up and the girl is doing pretty well for herself. She is working and engaged and the guy has a job but still thinks about the girl.
Suddenly one fateful day they both come across each other unknowingly and as they cross each other paths they both seem to understand that now they are again in front of each other. As soon as they turn to face each other the train passes in between them keeping viewers in suspense as to what will be the reaction from both. As soon as the train ends the girl is gone while the boy stays there waiting which implies that the girl has moved on from their relationship and is encouraging the boy to move on from it as well.
It can be deduced throughout the whole movie that the boy was reluctant to move on and this has led to his personal life being destroyed.
Now what the author wants us to know according to my knowledge is that as soon as the distance between people increases the strength of their relationship decreases. Even though in the first arc their relationship was strong as a rock by the end of the movie it was just reduced to sand at a rate of 5cm/sec.
Anyway, I enjoyed this as it was somewhat personal for me as I have also experienced this kind of thing.

wow beautifully explained
Feb 20, 2023 6:45 PM
Nov 2022
Faceleze said:
Long version of my interpretation:

In life many love stories can happen. Very compatible people meet, they are happy and they feel better than never before. Sometimes they fall for each other on the spot and stay together, sometimes they finally let out the feelings they had for a long time. You could say that in many ocassions, the universe brings these people together in a one-in-a lifetime oportunity.

But sometimes...None of those things happen. At all.

Because just like people who are in love get together, many times they don't. In many ocassions there will be people with very strong feelings, people who are in love. But that once in a lifetime oportunity to stay together slipped away, or maybe it never came to begin with.

Sometimes love stories never get to flourish, and people keep their feelings trapped inside. They are also trapped by their own life circumstances: Travelling, work, unemployment, family, other relationships, etc. And all they can do is wonder what would've happened if things turned out differently.

Short version:

The movie is about the sad reality in which even if people are in love, many times that isn't enough and our lives take a turn to other ways. And we are left wandering "What could've been?"

nice explanation
Feb 20, 2023 8:56 PM
Aug 2020
I understood the three parts of the film as different stages of letting go.

the first stage was the mc trying to make it work regardless of them being long distance, taking trains, writing letters etc.

the second stage we see how he still holds onto those feelings for her years later & is clouded by that, not realizing or paying attention to others who are interested in him.

the third stage was acceptance, the girl moved on with her life, while our mc looks to get closure.

Hope - Denial - Acceptance for the stages is the best way I’ve heard someone explain the stages.
Feb 20, 2023 9:07 PM
Nov 2022
oCareless said:
I understood the three parts of the film as different stages of letting go.

the first stage was the mc trying to make it work regardless of them being long distance, taking trains, writing letters etc.

the second stage we see how he still holds onto those feelings for her years later & is clouded by that, not realizing or paying attention to others who are interested in him.

the third stage was acceptance, the girl moved on with her life, while our mc looks to get closure.

Hope - Denial - Acceptance for the stages is the best way I’ve heard someone explain the stages.

this is an interesting take
Feb 21, 2023 6:44 AM
Oct 2021
From the perspective of the boy:
EP 1: Childhood love knows no bounds
EP 2: Still believing that you are in love with someone and paying no attention to what's in front of you.
EP 3: Failing to develop, living the life of a salaryman(which is considered hell) and -as if it was fate-meeting the one you love and think about till this day at the same place you once used to play; however failing to recognize her at the spot and while you did recognize her-she on the other hand kept walking as if you are a stranger(which you obviously are).
Easily Makoto's best work.
Feb 21, 2023 9:07 AM
Dec 2021
Alciel_Code said:
_txhsin__ said:

Wow that actually sounds beautiful. Interesting to see how other people viewed it.
Feb 21, 2023 12:08 PM
Feb 2022
Furuhashi1 said:
It was just bullshit no start whatsoever and they tried to show a sad ending but it was also crap.

Bro has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about💀
Feb 21, 2023 2:22 PM

Sep 2021
xD_Master00 said:
Furuhashi1 said:

Bro has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about💀
Bro in simple words the movie is trash stupidly executed in telling a story, and if you have something to say good about the movie lemme hear it. 
Feb 21, 2023 4:16 PM
Scout
Sep 2021
very very short summary: 2 soul mates that want to be and are meant to be together but just can't be of things that are outside of their control . it's sad
Feb 21, 2023 7:17 PM
Mar 2020
there were already many thoughtful answers about the story itself, so I'll just add something that struck me as I was reading the manga but it's also valid for the movie. telling the story through those 3 arcs, to me, seems like another way of expressing the story's theme: distance.

we get 3 snapshots of these characters story, in different stages of their lives, we see that they change, their relationship changes, but we don't get to WATCH them change. an audience usually grows attached to characters by watching them grow, change, struggle, love, etc. but by letting us see only these few moments in Takaki and Akari's story, we too are being distanced from the characters. we are experiencing a form of distance alongside them.

aaaanyway, that's my 2 cents, hope that made any sense since english is, like, my 3rd language, and I'm writing this at almost 1AM 😅
Mar 1, 2023 4:19 PM
Nov 2022
axtrast said:
From the perspective of the boy:
EP 1: Childhood love knows no bounds
EP 2: Still believing that you are in love with someone and paying no attention to what's in front of you.
EP 3: Failing to develop, living the life of a salaryman(which is considered hell) and -as if it was fate-meeting the one you love and think about till this day at the same place you once used to play; however failing to recognize her at the spot and while you did recognize her-she on the other hand kept walking as if you are a stranger(which you obviously are).
Easily Makoto's best work.

nicely explained,
I keep thinking when she ignored him must have hurt like hell but I think it was necessary for him to move on, even if the girl had spoken to him a bit he would still be carrying the hope and love for her.
Mar 1, 2023 4:25 PM
Nov 2022
RafaHatake said:
there were already many thoughtful answers about the story itself, so I'll just add something that struck me as I was reading the manga but it's also valid for the movie. telling the story through those 3 arcs, to me, seems like another way of expressing the story's theme: distance.

we get 3 snapshots of these characters story, in different stages of their lives, we see that they change, their relationship changes, but we don't get to WATCH them change. an audience usually grows attached to characters by watching them grow, change, struggle, love, etc. but by letting us see only these few moments in Takaki and Akari's story, we too are being distanced from the characters. we are experiencing a form of distance alongside them.

aaaanyway, that's my 2 cents, hope that made any sense since english is, like, my 3rd language, and I'm writing this at almost 1AM 😅

I always thought they would get together the way the movie was going, the director made it in a way that I felt like the protagonist and I were going on his journey with him, don't know if this is making any sense. It felt very real.
Jan 3, 4:23 PM
Sep 2015
Reply to Alciel_Code
_txhsin__ said:

@Alciel_Code Thank you!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.