Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you thought you won't like all that much, but ended up being one of the best things you ever saw

New
Apr 28, 2011 8:22 AM
Sep 2007
For me those are Great Teacher Onizuka and Gunbuster.

Great Teacher Onizuka, or GTO for short...
To be honest, I usually judge anime by cover; if I like cover, I'll most likely watch it.
But, GTO had rather plain title, as well as plain looking main character.
I guess what made it so amazing was marvelous execution and characters - especially Onizuka, Urumi, Miyabi, and Kikuchi.
It really is one of those anime you must watch to like.

I'm still hoping there will be another (and complete) anime adaptation of manga.

As for Gunbuster...
Well, I think I knew I will like it to some degree, cause I loved NGE, and TTGL was also amazing.
In short I love most of things from Gainax.
Still, after first 3 so - so sci-fi episodes, I hardly recall ever watching something with so much emotions, loss, and sacrifice.
I never found sacrifice and loss in any anime as touching as in Gunbuster.

Not to mention ending - for me personally ending to end all endings.
Best ending of all, EVER - compressed of so much happiness, sadness, love, hope, and anger.
The only thing I found as touching was when Ash released Butterfree in first Pokemon series which I watched 9 - 10 years ago.

Pages (55) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 28, 2011 8:25 AM

Aug 2010
I guess TTGL and Code Geass, never really been a mech fan but they were cool.
Apr 28, 2011 8:30 AM
May 2009
Gintama. Honest to god tried to watch it. But Didn't get into it. 3 years later. I am watching it all in one go and I am addicted.
Apr 28, 2011 8:33 AM

Oct 2010
For me it would be, Death Note and Welcome to the NHK!

At first I strayed away from watching Death Note by the time it went main stream. It became a fad among emo and goth kids. It kinda grossed me out.
After a while, a friend of mine recommended it to me. At first I was like, 'Nah, it's too emo and gothic' He said it wasn't about that. He explained it as a psychological anime with some good twists, both of which I like. I wathced the first ep after that, and marathoned it afterwards.

Welcome to the NHK! struck me as something of an ecchi, slice of life comedy. I didn't use MAL back then, and I didn't check out Anime titles through the internet. My only knowledge of Welcome to the NHK! was from a commercial I saw from Animax.
A few titles later, I found that I liked the Slice of Life genre. I checked out the synopsis, and it interested me. I ended up marathoning it as well.
"Isn't life, by nature, a contest decided by a single round? However trifling the matter, it's not possible to return to the last save point by pushing some reset button." - Kazuki Hoshino, Hakomari, Vol. 1
Apr 28, 2011 8:40 AM

Jul 2010
Bonen no Xamdou. At the first time, while watching the OP that seemed to be awfully bad, I was thinking it will be very ordinary but I finally found this anime truly good...
Apr 28, 2011 8:47 AM

Feb 2010
Fist of the North Star
Before watching: Meh, maybe I'll get a good laugh at all the male chauvinism.
After watching: I WA SHOCK!
When he flexed his muscles
and his shirt blew up
I WA SHOCK!
When he poked their forehead
and his head blew up

Time of Eve
Before watching: Looks like some pretentious ****.
After watching: Absolutely freaking beautiful.

Clannad: After Story
Before watching: I won't be surprised if it's overrated.
After watching: ;_;
Apr 28, 2011 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
fma. the whole alchemy thing didnt seem interesting to me so i didnt wanna watch it. but it actually ended up being really good.
Apr 28, 2011 8:59 AM

Sep 2010
for me Clannad (and AS). its not like i had heard bad things or thought it was overrated, i just didnt really expect anyting special.

when i read the summary of clannad i had the idea of "guy help girl to make a theater club", but the 2 seasons turned out waaay different than i expected.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2011 9:06 AM

Jan 2011
+1 for CLANNAD. Randomly tab-exploding through TV Tropes, I came across an absurdly youthful Sanae, and at the time had too much time and nothing to do.

Following that came lots of ;_;

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Apr 28, 2011 9:45 AM

Jan 2009
NANA. I usually dislike the romance/Slice of life genres, and thought this would bore me. But in the end I was completely blown away.
Apr 28, 2011 10:02 AM

Dec 2009
Gunbuster.

It was a true masterpiece. I don't need to say anything more than that.

Shame about Diebuster, though. It could have been great.
Your favorite anime is shit.
Apr 28, 2011 10:06 AM
Dec 2009
Clannad, Sora no Otoshimono and Cowboy Bebop
Apr 28, 2011 10:36 AM

Jun 2008
Hmmm I think I would have to go with Bartender. At first I thought it was going to be a boring anime about nothing but bar life, but it really turned out to be a wonderful series. Very relaxing and rich cast of characters.
Apr 28, 2011 10:42 AM

Mar 2011
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, at first it didn't seem interesting and i didn't like the art style or most of the characters, but after putting up with it for a few episodes it grew on me and not its one of my favorites
Apr 28, 2011 10:47 AM

Apr 2011
Ore no imotuo and The world god only knows. Their the only two shows I've given a 10 to.
Apr 28, 2011 10:48 AM
Apr 2011
TTGL. Artstyle doesn't really appeal to me but once i watched a few episodes i couldn't stop. Also not really a fan of mech (unless it's like mai-hime). Probs top 10 if not 15 if i were to do some sort of list.
Apr 28, 2011 10:50 AM
Feb 2011
Code Geass and Kangoku Senkan
Apr 28, 2011 11:33 AM

Mar 2011
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
Apr 28, 2011 11:59 AM

Dec 2009
Katekyo Hitman Reborn, i started watching after i saw one of the characters, Chrome & i thought she was awesome. Then, when i started to watch the show, the first twenty episodes were bleeeh, but i didn't give up. After that, i started loving it <3
Apr 28, 2011 12:04 PM
Feb 2011
Eyeshield 21
K-on!
D.Gray-man
Fairy Tail
Saki
Apr 28, 2011 12:26 PM

Dec 2007
Texhnolyze, definetely. It started off really weird and I was hating it, but I ended loving it and it's a really great series.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 28, 2011 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
When I was a child, I disliked DBZ, however, it somehow became my favourite?

I was about to drop Durarara after one episode, as trhe first ep', I found fairly boring.
I decided to give it another chance when it reached around episode 3 or 4; it turned highly impressive then, now it's a 10.

Apr 28, 2011 12:44 PM

Jun 2009
One Piece, most definitely. And, even though it does occasionally have the pacing problems inherent with Shounen, the characters are so charming and the overall world so interesting that I just don't give a shit.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 28, 2011 1:59 PM

Feb 2011
Haruhi, GTO, Golden Boy, and Madoka Magica
Apr 28, 2011 2:26 PM

Sep 2010
Escaflowne is first that comes to mind. I remember seeing random episode on tv as a kid and I didn't like art or characters. Later I decided to give it a try and I liked everything about it; it's one of my favourites now.
Apr 28, 2011 3:03 PM

Oct 2010
The girl who leapt through time, that really blew me away and I wasn't expecting much at all.
Apr 28, 2011 3:11 PM

Oct 2009
Madoka!

I'm not a fan of mahou shoujo anime, but Madoka is pretty good. The same goes for Nanoha as well...
Apr 28, 2011 3:16 PM

Nov 2009
Madoka...first and foremost.
Apr 28, 2011 3:24 PM

Mar 2009
Ooo! I've got a nice list!

Princess Tutu-magical girl+ballet? Sounds lame. Is actually awesome enough for me to name myself after it. It uses old tropes and cleverly subverts, adds in tons of tragedy, and lots of fairytales which are cleverly retold and made fresh that still work into the overarching story and you've got a winner. And add in amazing use of classical music.
TTGL-first off, it was overhyped to hell and back, I thought that was surely a sign of bad things to come. Also, I enjoy mech, but I don't actually expect much from it. Then this comes along and blows me out of the water, screw logic!
RahXephon-I hated NGE. And guess what most of the recs for NGE are? RahXephon. And vice versa. I was fairly certain that this would be dead on arrival, but it really enticed me and made me interested and I really did love it. I need to rewatch it before I come up with a final rating for it, but the more I think back on it, the more I like it. Really sticks with ya in a good way.
Oban Star-Racers-I was expecting a standard kid's show. Nothing, y'know, horribly bad, but nothing as good as it was. The ending was great and one of the few to make me cry and I think the balance between episodic and story was very good.
Apr 28, 2011 3:44 PM

Nov 2010
well i started madoka with the reason to watch a easy standard mahou shoujo anime because its mild taste ... and ended up by the best anime of the last 17 years ...
Apr 28, 2011 3:51 PM

Feb 2011
All of my top three, actually

Princess tutu- I'd heard good things about it, which is why it ended up on my "to-watch" list, but I was still uneasy. The first couple of episodes didn't help but it picked up quickly, and now it's my favorite series.

Gankutsuou- It was one of my favorite reviewer's favorites, but the art style initially turned me off. I grew to love it though, and it fit well and the way the plot built up was amazing.

Monster- I saw it on a top twenty villain list where Johan was number one (deserved). It stayed on my list for so long that when I finally got around to it I'd forgotten what it was about, but I'd heard it compared to Death Note a lot. I don't like Death note. It's not bad or anything, I just never got into it, but I was hooked on Monster from the start. Also, Johan... just Johan. For years I've found Serial killers interesting. The way they behave, their motives, how they tick. I've always found in extremely interesting, and Johan behaves like a real serial killer. He's a lot smarter and a better planner than most, but he has reason to be. It's clear Urasawa did his research, and it was epic.
Apr 28, 2011 4:02 PM

Aug 2009
Mushishi, thought it would be boring, but ended up as my favorite anime :>

Apr 28, 2011 4:25 PM
Nov 2010
lucky star- the character design threw me off, i though the series was going to be crap. But it was actually pretty funny and entertaining (at least for me).
Apr 28, 2011 4:33 PM

Feb 2010
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

I watch this for nostalgia sake and it completely blew my expectations away.
Apr 28, 2011 4:57 PM

Oct 2009
Strike Witches. At first I was ready to shit on it, then I actually watched it and really enjoyed it for what it is. Definitely has more effort and heart put into the project than many other anime. Still one of the most impressive lolicon (and fanservice/ecchi in general) anime I've ever seen.
Apr 28, 2011 5:02 PM
Mar 2011
One Piece
Prince of Tennis
Fruit Basket
Black Blood Brothers
Samurai Champloo
Apr 28, 2011 5:08 PM

Aug 2010
toradora. it started off sorta slow and i didnt like the whole lets help each other get the people we love, but at episode 19 i cried and cried. i couldtnt stand to watch taiga cry. it was so sad. as the anime came to a close it went from an average anime to my very favorite. the show still makes me cry.
Apr 28, 2011 5:09 PM

Aug 2010
TTGL> Meh, just another overhyped mech show... then all of a sudden EPICNESS, EPICNESS EVERYWHERE
One Piece> Didn't like the art style very much, but decided to give it a try. Result? Caught up to it in less than a week(that's over 400 episodes right there).
Apr 28, 2011 5:22 PM

Oct 2010
Kaleido Star.
Apr 28, 2011 5:28 PM

Apr 2009
Definitely Death Note. I'm not going to go as far as 'the best series ever' though it did entertained me greatly. I've first found this through a Naruto/anime fanforum and I probably didn't like the fangirls spazzing about how great Death Note is. My view of Death Note was 'overrated' without actually watching it. I was a Narutard back then... Then a few years later (and after discovering this great site), I found its entry here in MAL. I had YouTube on my hands, so I decided to watch it. From the start, I loved it. I rated it a 9 for a while because of its halfway point and the suckish new characters. I recently changed its rating to an 8 because its ending sucked... I think I didn't count endings that much back then.

That's pretty much the only series that make me think This anime sucks but after watching it, I loved it, though.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Apr 28, 2011 6:22 PM

Aug 2009
definitely FMA and Scryed, I usually hate shounen with a passion but those were awesome!

spice and wolf- I thought it would be another cliched "normal everyday dude meets gorgeous and magically endowed chick who only has eyes for him" anime but it was so much more than that :)

chrono crusade- I thought it would be too 'cutesie' but it was actually quite good and pretty serious towards the end

zeta gundam- never thought I would like a mecha anime from the 80s but it was great!
Apr 28, 2011 7:46 PM

Jan 2010
death note
the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya
angel beats
Apr 28, 2011 8:31 PM

Apr 2011
Neon Genesis Evangelion

at first i was like "old school sucks boo-hoo" but yeah after some episodes, i realized it was classic and like no other, its a genre on its own

Welcome to NHK!

well, idk wtf its about, i didnt now wtf is NEET back then...and i was clueless. i was like whatever, then.... bam! episode 1 got me into it, then it was so awesome i finished it in 4 days!!!!!!!!! somehow i relate to it somehow cuz its how i feel back then, alone & hopeless.... but im different now, because this anime showed me how it was like & how to get over it.
Apr 29, 2011 6:28 AM

Sep 2009
B Gata H Kei
Definitely not one of the best things I've ever seen, but I freaking loved it.
Apr 29, 2011 8:20 AM

May 2009
Nana, TTGL, P&SWG
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Apr 29, 2011 8:37 AM

Feb 2008
Not gonna call it one of the best series ever, but I was surprised that I ended up liking Strike Witches.
Apr 29, 2011 8:47 AM

Nov 2009
Code Geass, from thge synopsis I didnt think I'd really like i, but I ended up marathoning both seasons and loving it. Most recently would be Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, thought it'd be just another Mahou shoujo anime. I was wrong
Apr 29, 2011 9:08 AM

Nov 2010
gundam seed - I never watched any mecha anime before this anime and after I watched it, I'm addicted to all gundam series...

gintama- This one really made me hard to breath because I laughed a lot..haha

cowboy bebop- I love the storyline..different type of cowboy..hehe

princess tutu - my first dark fairytale with wonderful ending..
Apr 29, 2011 9:22 AM

Oct 2010
kuragehime. =')
Apr 29, 2011 9:45 AM
Sep 2010
gto
i once saw the 1st opening somewhere before watching the series and i just judged the book of its cover.

code geass
one or two years ago i watched the first ep and then i didn't really like it and avoided watching it.

both of these are now on my favorites
Pages (55) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you know people who have only 200 completed anime but more than 100 days are--

LenRea - 2 hours ago

23 by Cazqui-09 »»
4 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

88 by SwordBreaker36 »»
5 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

24 by luisfunes99 »»
12 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

23 by Spunkert »»
34 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

15 by Damnits »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.