Forum Settings
Forums

Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard

New
Jun 2, 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
Something I feel many anime fans never take under consideration; BD sales used to be a signifier of quality back in the 00s and 10s sure, but do you really believe people buy phisical media today? It is all based on streaming services now. The Japanese don't care for BD sales as they used to in deciding what anime gets a continuation or not anymore.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 9:29 PM

Nov 2023
DvDs are still kinda popular in Japan and some parts of asia still has a market, though smaller, the shops selling them are still a thing, It just it gone down for the rest of the world
Ratris_DecisionJun 2, 9:32 PM
Jun 2, 9:35 PM

Feb 2020
"Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard"

True.

Jun 2, 10:02 PM

Jun 2022
I usually do P2P or common server downloading, if not for DVDs, for me, streaming is as good as dead. Besides, streaming limits what one can watch. If we rely on American metrics for example, then DBZ and Naruto are the most popular anime right now and will be forever.

(P.S, yes, I buy physical media, but that does not matter.)
Jun 2, 10:07 PM

Mar 2021
solacez said:

Physical media is still extremely popular in Japan even today and Japan's Anime industry has never considered sales in the west or outside of the country to be use as a metric of success when it comes to Anime.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that Japan doesn't care about BD sales or what main factors determine how a production company decides to continue franchises.

It seems to me you are just simply throwing out an unsubstantiated opinion. Otherwise you would have empirical evidence to back up your claim.
ColourWheelJun 2, 10:11 PM
Jun 2, 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Pages_Pages
I usually do P2P or common server downloading, if not for DVDs, for me, streaming is as good as dead. Besides, streaming limits what one can watch. If we rely on American metrics for example, then DBZ and Naruto are the most popular anime right now and will be forever.

(P.S, yes, I buy physical media, but that does not matter.)
@Pages_Pages @ColourWheel I have never heard of anybody in my entire life buying BDs here in Bulgaria but everybody has Netflix subscriptions.
Jun 2, 10:23 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to removed-user
@Pages_Pages @ColourWheel I have never heard of anybody in my entire life buying BDs here in Bulgaria but everybody has Netflix subscriptions.
@solacez Don't bother, he berates people for not spending hundreds on blu-ray. And here's the same lame shill who calls everyone "bums" for not spending hundreds on blu-ray, as usual.
TropischJun 3, 10:05 PM
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 2, 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Tropisch
@solacez Don't bother, he berates people for not spending hundreds on blu-ray. And here's the same lame shill who calls everyone "bums" for not spending hundreds on blu-ray, as usual.
@Tropisch The thing it I get where he is coming from, this was the industry norm a decade ago. Buy as many BD copies as possible and your favorite anime will get a continuation etc. But nowadays this model is outdated, the industry looks at streaming services and invests in the foreign markets, it will make no difference if the BD's sell well or not.
Jun 2, 10:36 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
solacez said:
I have never heard of anybody in my entire life buying BDs here in Bulgaria but everybody has Netflix subscriptions.

Since when did the Japanese Anime industry gives a crap about Anime sales in Bulgaria? Also Netflix acts more like a retail store when it comes to media entertainment since they don't exclusively only platform Japanese Anime. Even If the Japanese Anime industry actual gave a crap about Streaming platforms outside of their country, there would be no way to accurately measure how successful Anime is based on streaming and it certainly wouldn't effect how they would go about deciding what would be in their interest to dump money into when it comes to future Anime projects either.

There is obviously a good reason why Japan still uses physical media sales as a metric in their country on how successful Anime is otherwise they would have changed their standard when streaming became globalized over a decade ago.

Also I don't berate Users for not spending hundreds on Blu-ray, I could generally care less how Users choose to consume their Anime. I just usually berate Users who publicly admit to illegally pirating Anime like it's something to be proud of when all they are doing is showing the world how much they are simply just digital bums.
ColourWheelJun 2, 10:47 PM
Jun 2, 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to ColourWheel
solacez said:
I have never heard of anybody in my entire life buying BDs here in Bulgaria but everybody has Netflix subscriptions.

Since when did the Japanese Anime industry gives a crap about Anime sales in Bulgaria? Also Netflix acts more like a retail store when it comes to media entertainment since they don't exclusively only platform Japanese Anime. Even If the Japanese Anime industry actual gave a crap about Streaming platforms outside of their country, there would be no way to accurately measure how successful Anime is based on streaming and it certainly wouldn't effect how they would go about deciding what would be in their interest to dump money into when it comes to future Anime projects either.

There is obviously a good reason why Japan still uses physical media sales as a metric in their country on how successful Anime is otherwise they would have changed their standard when streaming became globalized over a decade ago.

Also I don't berate Users for not spending hundreds on Blu-ray, I could generally care less how Users choose to consume their Anime. I just usually berate Users who publicly admit to illegally pirating Anime like it's something to be proud of when all they are doing is showing the world how much they are simply just digital bums.
@ColourWheel Japan cares about the foreign market more than it does about its own nowadays. This is why there are an over a decade old campaign to stop pirating in the Western world. Japanese care about money and profit among anything else, and profit sadly ain't in Japan anymore, that is China, America, and Europe.
removed-userJun 2, 10:46 PM
Jun 2, 10:47 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to ColourWheel
solacez said:

Physical media is still extremely popular in Japan even today and Japan's Anime industry has never considered sales in the west or outside of the country to be use as a metric of success when it comes to Anime.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that Japan doesn't care about BD sales or what main factors determine how a production company decides to continue franchises.

It seems to me you are just simply throwing out an unsubstantiated opinion. Otherwise you would have empirical evidence to back up your claim.
@ColourWheel

I mean you can just go look up the AJA data. BD sales really got cut in the last few years (this is a new phenomenon) whereas streaming has jumped in number. Streaming makes around like 3x the amount of profit BDs do, and that has changed even from a few years ago when it was more on par. You then need to consider the fact half of the industry profits are grouped together as overseas profits. So that could be a lot of merch sales however, it probably is largely big foreign streaming companies, as most international fans stream their anime rather than buy bds.

I mean Netflix's viewership, which probably is both international fans and Japan show where the direction is for anime. The industry has changed a lot since CoViD.
BilboBaggins365Jun 2, 10:50 PM
Jun 2, 11:01 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
@ColourWheel Japan cares about the foreign market more than it does about its own nowadays. This is why there are an over a decade old campaign to stop pirating in the Western world. Japanese care about money and profit among anything else, and profit sadly ain't in Japan anymore, that is China, America, and Europe.
@solacez

I would have to disagree with this. If Japan really cared that much about foreign markets over their own domestic market, Anime in general would already reflect this and it certainly doesn't yet. Sure everyone cares about money and profit but Japanese Anime is also part of Japan's culture. To this day it still doesn't belong to anyone else but Japan. People outside of Japan just think Anime is no longer Japanese anymore simply because foreign markets falsely try to portray anything that looks like Japanese Anime as if it is, simply to try to capitalize off an extremely popular animation medium that no one can undoubtedly disregard as an important part of Japan's culture.
Jun 2, 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to ColourWheel
@solacez

I would have to disagree with this. If Japan really cared that much about foreign markets over their own domestic market, Anime in general would already reflect this and it certainly doesn't yet. Sure everyone cares about money and profit but Japanese Anime is also part of Japan's culture. To this day it still doesn't belong to anyone else but Japan. People outside of Japan just think Anime is no longer Japanese anymore simply because foreign markets falsely try to portray anything that looks like Japanese Anime as if it is, simply to try to capitalize off an extremely popular animation medium that no one can undoubtedly disregard as an important part of Japan's culture.
@ColourWheel But it does reflect it. Here is a little example. Have you ever phantomed Japan will start making Korean webcomic adaptations just a decade ago? Well they do now.

Anime is also part of Japan's culture.
I am sorry but this is simply not true. Anime was/ is inspired by American cartoons, Walt Disney specifically. Now that it did eventually branch out and coined its unique identity, it did, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for America in the 20th century pioneering Animation for the whole world. And anime at its core has nothing Japanese to it, that is what makes it so appealing for the world and Japan itself.

And before you tell me that I am full of crap.
The most popular anime from the 70s were the World Masterpiece Theater series which were based on European and American classical novels. The rest were Go Nagai works which were based on western comic book heroes or sci-fi and were deemed to obscene for Japanese. You can read about that in his biography work.
removed-userJun 2, 11:15 PM
Jun 2, 11:11 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to BilboBaggins365
@ColourWheel

I mean you can just go look up the AJA data. BD sales really got cut in the last few years (this is a new phenomenon) whereas streaming has jumped in number. Streaming makes around like 3x the amount of profit BDs do, and that has changed even from a few years ago when it was more on par. You then need to consider the fact half of the industry profits are grouped together as overseas profits. So that could be a lot of merch sales however, it probably is largely big foreign streaming companies, as most international fans stream their anime rather than buy bds.

I mean Netflix's viewership, which probably is both international fans and Japan show where the direction is for anime. The industry has changed a lot since CoViD.
@BilboBaggins365 yeah true you just forget to add location to your data to know that what you just said apply to the west but not necessarily Japan and just a look at Oricon would have suffice to show you why bd are still a thing in Japan especially in the anime industry.
Jun 2, 11:13 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to BilboBaggins365
@ColourWheel

BilboBaggins365 said:

The thing is when it comes to over seas distribution Japanese Anime is licensed. Meaning Japan doesn't make any more profit than what they are licensing it for, regardless how much revenue streaming platforms are making off it.
Jun 2, 11:17 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
@ColourWheel But it does reflect it. Here is a little example. Have you ever phantomed Japan will start making Korean webcomic adaptations just a decade ago? Well they do now.

Anime is also part of Japan's culture.
I am sorry but this is simply not true. Anime was/ is inspired by American cartoons, Walt Disney specifically. Now that it did eventually branch out and coined its unique identity, it did, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for America in the 20th century pioneering Animation for the whole world. And anime at its core has nothing Japanese to it, that is what makes it so appealing for the world and Japan itself.

And before you tell me that I am full of crap.
The most popular anime from the 70s were the World Masterpiece Theater series which were based on European and American classical novels. The rest were Go Nagai works which were based on western comic book heroes or sci-fi and were deemed to obscene for Japanese. You can read about that in his biography work.
@solacez

You would be delusional to think Japanese Anime belongs to any other country but Japan. Just because the inception of Japanese Anime has been largely influenced by the west in the past is irrelevant. That's like saying Japanese Katanas don't culturally belong to japan simply because swords originated in Turkey.
Jun 2, 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to ColourWheel
@solacez

You would be delusional to think Japanese Anime belongs to any other country but Japan. Just because the inception of Japanese Anime has been largely influenced by the west in the past is irrelevant. That's like saying Japanese Katanas don't culturally belong to japan simply because swords originated in Turkey.
@ColourWheel Anime is not an unique idea limited to Japan, all I am saying is, other countries are perfectly capable of making their own anime works. France, Italy, and USA have already done so in the past. China is heavily at it right now.
Jun 2, 11:23 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
@ColourWheel Anime is not an unique idea limited to Japan, all I am saying is, other countries are perfectly capable of making their own anime works. France, Italy, and USA have already done so in the past. China is heavily at it right now.
@solacez

Other countries are free to make their own "animation" but not Japanese Anime. At most, anything produced that Japan doesn't recognize as part of "their" culture is only works of animation inspired by Japanese Anime and only animation inspired by Japanese Anime. Calling something "Japanese Anime" simply because it look like "Japanese Anime" is borderline advocating cultural appropriation.

Also China has their own animation medium it's called "Donghua" not "Anime". Don't try to mix that crap in with Japanese Anime.
ColourWheelJun 2, 11:26 PM
Jun 2, 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to ColourWheel
@solacez

Other countries are free to make their own "animation" but not Japanese Anime. At most, anything produced that Japan doesn't recognize as part of "their" culture is only works of animation inspired by Japanese Anime and only animation inspired by Japanese Anime. Calling something "Japanese Anime" simply because it look like "Japanese Anime" is borderline advocating cultural appropriation.

Also China has their own animation medium it's called "Donghua" not "Anime". Don't try to mix that crap in with Japanese Anime.
@ColourWheel Anime from its inception is cultural appropriation done by the Japanese of other cultures buddy. All I am saying is, this is the spirit of anime, taking inspiration from other cultures while adding your unique spin on it. Why is it ok when Japan does it but not USA for example? Either way I am glad Japan is getting more competition today, this is good for the industry otherwise it will stagnate and die.
Jun 2, 11:27 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
@ColourWheel Anime from its inception is cultural appropriation done by the Japanese of other cultures buddy. All I am saying is, this is the spirit of anime, taking inspiration from other cultures while adding your unique spin on it. Why is it ok when Japan does it but not USA for example? Either way I am glad Japan is getting more competition today, this is good for the industry otherwise it will stagnate and die.
@solacez

I would disagree with this. Japan simply learned animation from Disney but they didn't call their domestic animation Disney Cartoons. At most they just recognized their animated works at the time were inspired by Disney cartoons and nothing more, buddy.
ColourWheelJun 2, 11:55 PM
Jun 3, 12:17 AM

May 2018
"Streaming services are the new standard"

Thing is the production committees don't make much money out of those licenses and usually the streaming services don't even report the statistics.
At the end of the day some hugely successful as viewership titles don't get sequels and you can't actually tell how much money the committee made from direct sales, merchandise and eventual promotion of the source.
Thus searching for "the right metric" is kind of pointless.

solacez said:
here in Bulgaria but everybody has Netflix subscriptions

And 99% of the Netflix subscribers here don't watch anime at all...not to mention for many titles you are forced to use some VPN tricks.

solacez said:
Anime is not an unique idea limited to Japan

Come on, homie, don't embarrass us in the anime discussion forum out of all the places!
alshuJun 3, 12:35 AM
Jun 3, 12:21 AM
Aug 2022
To be honest I think people who buy physical copies usually do it for collection reasons. It's neat to still own DVDs and even VHS. It might be outdated but still doesn't mean it doesn't have some value to it. People even do this with video games. All the emulators out there give you games. Even if you buy physical copies people act like why bother? I would rather own old game systems and all the hard copies of games then own a emulator. Why do you think old games and consoles are extremely expensive? Cause people collect them knowing how rare and expensive it is to own one. I use streaming services I have nothing against anyone who does things differently. You can still buy vinyl records at some stores with today's hits on them. It's like manga many buy to not read them but to own manga from their favorite animes. I think it's pretty cool!
Jun 3, 12:45 AM

Jan 2009
the problem is we do not have official streaming numbers reported regularly compared to bluray sales that is still being officially reported regularly
Jun 3, 3:02 AM

Sep 2016
They are as much a metric as their percentage of the total profits.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 3, 11:54 AM

Apr 2018
My only real fear about the possibility of Blurays/physical home releases of anime going the way of the dodo (in favor of streaming-only) is that studios might stop doing art & animation improvements/corrections for their titles, since that would no longer be a viable incentive to buy when there's already a subscription being paid for in order to watch.

I mean, I personally don't know of an example of a streaming-only anime (or ONA) that has received any visual touch-ups post-release on the platform (if y'all know of any, please do point it out to me for my own peace of mind).

Hell, off the top of my head I could name several years-old titles that are on Netflix that, still to this day, haven't been updated to have the Bluray-improved episodes(even titles that are marked as being Netflix exclusives). So it just goes to show how unreliable legal streaming services are in regards to this.
Jun 3, 12:46 PM

May 2021
solacez said:
Something I feel many anime fans never take under consideration; BD sales used to be a signifier of quality back in the 00s and 10s sure, but do you really believe people buy phisical media today? It is all based on streaming services now. The Japanese don't care for BD sales as they used to in deciding what anime gets a continuation or not anymore

Nothing againts streaming, but if you choose to rely 100% on streaming over physical media, you are baka as shit

Paying for streaming services is basically reting, you have to pay monthly/yearly for what you wanna watch, and on top of that it can be edited and taken down

So what is more efficient? Paying 10 bucks a month for 10 months and after all that your fav anime gets taken down, or paying 50 bucks for the BluRay you'll keep forever?

Straming is modern Blockbusters, it's fun, it's a good way to discover new things, but nothing beyond that
Jun 3, 12:54 PM

Jan 2021
I would but more blue rays if they weren't that expensiveeee

a lot of vinyl being sold are a pretty good metric of album being good, even though vinyls are outdated
Jun 3, 1:00 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to removed-user
@solacez This is about whether we look at Japanese or Western metrics. For the west, yes, streaming matters. I can relate to nobody buying discs anymore since the 2000s, I'm literally across the border from you. But... BUT... Japan =/= West. For them Blu rays matter since it's the die-hard fans who splurge large amounts of money on anime, it's what finances the studios themselves.
That being said, even when it comes to Western metrics (not including Japan), the metrics vary widely from country to country. The USA has the most anime available outside of Japan, especially now that they have publishers like Discotek offering old, less known anime. That's not the case in Europe, especially in the East and Southeast. Here the only legal anime outlet is Crunchyroll (which has a noticeably less diverse offering of shows compared to the states) or some of the streaming services. And none actually offer what most anime fans here actually want, and that's official subtitles. For us all streaming comes from local pirate sites.
Also, no, Japan doesn't care about Western piracy, or the foreign markets unless the show is really big (which is mostly battle shounen)
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 3, 1:04 PM

Feb 2024
Streaming services are nice... until a series gets deleted because of a service's rotation policy or legal conflicts. I'd rather have something I can hold in my hand to access anytime.

(images created in AI)
Jun 3, 1:06 PM

Mar 2008
You all better hope physical media goes away or anime will be at stake of being lost forever. They are still very popular in Japan along with DVDs, it's just that their market expanded more international so foreigners are adding to the streaming part due to how so many companies are attempting to maximize profits and fuck over the consumers.
Jun 3, 1:25 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to traed
You all better hope physical media goes away or anime will be at stake of being lost forever. They are still very popular in Japan along with DVDs, it's just that their market expanded more international so foreigners are adding to the streaming part due to how so many companies are attempting to maximize profits and fuck over the consumers.
@traed

It really depends on where you live.

The cost of streaming Anime is relatively just about the same cost in Japan compared to where I currently live in North America, in fact argument could be made it could be a tiny bit cheaper because Anime Streaming is vastly more popular in North America than it is in Japan. Plus this is just what I have personally noticed, distribution companies that license Anime in the West these days won't release official physical volumes anymore like they commonly use to and simply go straight to releasing an Anime's entire season as a collection (Though people should be careful, I have noticed recently there is a flood of Anime trying to be sold on the internet that is coming directly for places like China and Malaysia right after an Anime series finishes airing which are actually just bootlegs that look legit but they are simply just ripping Anime straight off the internet then formatting it onto Blu-ray discs which is inherently no better than watching the quality of video streaming illegally).

When they do release Physical Volumes where I live which contain a few episodes each on them the typical price range for them brand new are between 30USDs to 50USDs. In contrast to Japan which ranges between 6,000 to 8,000 yen.

So it's actually vastly cheaper to buy an Anime's domestic official physical release in North America compared to living in Japan and buying their domestic official physical releases.

Then when one tires to import brand new Anime straight from Japan the cost exponentially get way more expensive dealing with the shipping and handling costs as well as import taxes if you are trying to ship it to North America.
ColourWheelJun 3, 1:56 PM
Jun 3, 4:01 PM
Oct 2019
Yeah, blu-ray sales are definitely an outdated metric with which to judge an anime's success, because for most people, it's just more convenient to stream stuff.

I think the reason why anime fans still view blu-ray sales as a metric of success is because they believe that's how the production companies still view it. I don't know enough about those companies or the industry as a whole to know if that's true though.
Jun 3, 6:52 PM

Feb 2021
alshu said:
Thing is the production committees don't make much money out of those licenses and usually the streaming services don't even report the statistics.
Where did you get that from?
Anime licenses have only gotten more expensive over the years, and these streaming services literally have whole teams dedicated to analyze the data and report back to the original producers.

So yes, a Japanese producer will know if a title was popular in overseas streaming.
Jun 3, 7:41 PM

Mar 2021
@BilboBaggins365

Yes I know CR and Netflix are playing a more direct role in funding Anime. Though, Production Committees still don't make any more profit after an Anime is licensed. As an example, not like if an Anime series becomes vastly more popular due to streaming those committees see a direct increase in profit in their pockets.

The cost of licensing Anime doesn't suddenly become more expensive when streaming platforms are making more money due to streaming either. Since largely Anime is still being produced widely in mind for the Japanese audience, it only make sense the industry will look towards trends in the Japanese market over any other nation to determine where to dump money into for their future projects. When it comes to all things Anime including merch to swag, Japan is obviously still the industries main focus.

Without clarification you can't assume AJA data isn't counting general profits either.
Jun 3, 7:43 PM

Apr 2014
I still collect physical media, and I know I'm not the only one. I can't tell you how many times my family wanted to watch something and quickly realized it wasn't on any streaming service. Most of the time I actually have a copy of the movie they want to watch.

My internet goes out? Good thing I have my own copy.

The movie/show gets taken off the streaming service? I still have my own copy.

Streaming services have their pros and cons, but I'll always prefer having my own copy. I think it's nice to have a little collection of all your favorite movies and shows. Also anime has become a lot easier to obtain these days. Some titles are still a little pricey, but if you watch out for sales or the secondhand market, you can get your favorite shows for a pretty good price.

I think having a mix of streaming services and physical media go hand in hand. There will always be a market for physical media. Just look at manga sales in the last 4 years.
Jun 3, 8:52 PM

Mar 2021
@BilboBaggins365

Even if one thinks physical media is losing relevancy globally, physical media is still a big thing in Japan regardless.

As an example in Japan idol groups will still sell their music CDs directly to fans when they do live performances. Video games in Japan still sell out of their limited edition box sets produced for new videogame releases all the time. Official Physical copies of Anime are still being produced in volumes right after an Anime finishes airing exclusively for the Japanese domestic market. Even porn in Japan gets released on physical media still where the JAV industry is obviously making enough profit to continue doing so. In fact Blu-ray remains the most popular format for distributing adult videos in Japan to this day.

Sure you can look at Anime in a vacuum and simply look at graphs and statistics and compare it to other things to deflate it's relevancy, But comparing Japan to the rest of the world would be like trying to compare an apple to an orange.

If you have ever been to Akiabara, Physical Media is everywhere there and no stores that sell actually sell physical media as specialty shops are closing down like they do in the west; Tower Records, Suncoast Video, Blockbuster video, etc... (only reason why Gamestop and EB Games are still around is strictly for gaming consoles and hardware for them where even these stores in the west are slowly disappearing all across North America.)

The main reason why I think the West is so addicted to streaming is likely largely because of wide spread Illegal piracy, where in Japan pirated streaming is almost non-existent there. If you took away internet piracy from media entertainment, Physical Media would likely be just as popular in the West as it is currently still in Japan.
ColourWheelJun 3, 9:11 PM
Jun 3, 10:04 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to Cammell
I would but more blue rays if they weren't that expensiveeee

a lot of vinyl being sold are a pretty good metric of album being good, even though vinyls are outdated
@Cammell For real, the price is nuts on a lot of them. One of my favorite shows for instance, checked for the 1st season, $100 for 12 episodes on the sites I checked, outrageous. Don't bother checking for shows released in 2 episode volumes either, some of those go for $40 for each one, it's insanity.
@Lhundrup It's pretty funny how the guy always shows up to defend Corpo's, paid shills never cease to amaze.
TropischJun 4, 12:11 PM
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 4, 12:32 AM

May 2018
MadanielFL said:
Where did you get that from?

Random articles on internet.

MadanielFL said:
Anime licenses have only gotten more expensive over the years

The production expenses have gotten higher too, not to mention the yen is quite week at this moment.

The license price is only a fraction of the production cost.
The only way to make the full production money from a streaming company is to make it part of the committee like for example Netflix did with Edgerunners, Oooku and Onimusha, but didn't with Attack On Titan for which it only paid the license for.

MadanielFL said:
So yes, a Japanese producer will know if a title was popular in overseas streaming.

Question is, how much money they are making from those...which is only the license tax that is not dependent on the number of title was streamed.
alshuJun 4, 12:38 AM
Jun 4, 7:47 AM

Feb 2021
alshu said:
The only way to make the full production money from a streaming company is to make it part of the committee like for example Netflix did with Edgerunners
Netflix is not a producer for Edgerunners, the only producer for that anime is CDPR.

alshu said:
Question is, how much money they are making from those...which is only the license tax that is not dependent on the number of title was streamed.
At least for Crunchyroll, they work with royalty based licenses, meaning the more people watching the show there, the more money it makes.
Jun 4, 8:02 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to ColourWheel
@BilboBaggins365

Even if one thinks physical media is losing relevancy globally, physical media is still a big thing in Japan regardless.

As an example in Japan idol groups will still sell their music CDs directly to fans when they do live performances. Video games in Japan still sell out of their limited edition box sets produced for new videogame releases all the time. Official Physical copies of Anime are still being produced in volumes right after an Anime finishes airing exclusively for the Japanese domestic market. Even porn in Japan gets released on physical media still where the JAV industry is obviously making enough profit to continue doing so. In fact Blu-ray remains the most popular format for distributing adult videos in Japan to this day.

Sure you can look at Anime in a vacuum and simply look at graphs and statistics and compare it to other things to deflate it's relevancy, But comparing Japan to the rest of the world would be like trying to compare an apple to an orange.

If you have ever been to Akiabara, Physical Media is everywhere there and no stores that sell actually sell physical media as specialty shops are closing down like they do in the west; Tower Records, Suncoast Video, Blockbuster video, etc... (only reason why Gamestop and EB Games are still around is strictly for gaming consoles and hardware for them where even these stores in the west are slowly disappearing all across North America.)

The main reason why I think the West is so addicted to streaming is likely largely because of wide spread Illegal piracy, where in Japan pirated streaming is almost non-existent there. If you took away internet piracy from media entertainment, Physical Media would likely be just as popular in the West as it is currently still in Japan.
ColourWheel said:

I am confused by what you are saying, so requesting clarification. It seems like you are claiming piracy contributes to streaming, though I argue the opposite. Gabe Newell is completely right, piracy is not a pricing issue, but a service issue. Streaming services like Netflix and Crunchyroll just make it easier to stream series on television via Roku/Amazon Fire or on PC for a relatively small fee.

Sure, piracy is free, but between downloading torrents, avoiding going to Shady websites with intrusive porno ads, and the hooking of the laptops to modern television, and 10 USD is not a stifling fee for many people to just skip all that. The main driver of streaming in the west is streaming services.

I would argue that DVDs are just merchandise, and it is definitely Japanese culture. Japan is unique in that it has coined the "Galapagos syndrome (ガラパゴス化)".

The Galapagos effect, also known as Galapagos syndrome, is a business term that describes when a business sector focuses on the needs of domestic users to the exclusion of others. The term originated in Japan and is used as an analogy to a part of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.
Jun 4, 9:19 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to PeripheralVision
ColourWheel said:

I am confused by what you are saying, so requesting clarification. It seems like you are claiming piracy contributes to streaming, though I argue the opposite. Gabe Newell is completely right, piracy is not a pricing issue, but a service issue. Streaming services like Netflix and Crunchyroll just make it easier to stream series on television via Roku/Amazon Fire or on PC for a relatively small fee.

Sure, piracy is free, but between downloading torrents, avoiding going to Shady websites with intrusive porno ads, and the hooking of the laptops to modern television, and 10 USD is not a stifling fee for many people to just skip all that. The main driver of streaming in the west is streaming services.

I would argue that DVDs are just merchandise, and it is definitely Japanese culture. Japan is unique in that it has coined the "Galapagos syndrome (ガラパゴス化)".

The Galapagos effect, also known as Galapagos syndrome, is a business term that describes when a business sector focuses on the needs of domestic users to the exclusion of others. The term originated in Japan and is used as an analogy to a part of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.
PeripheralVision said:

When it comes to Anime piracy, I don't think it's a pricing issue or a service issue. It's actually about not paying for anything at all when you actually notice what most Users have to say about piracy on MAL. They tend to publicly admit to their illegal piracy practices in extremely public manners like they are proud to be complete digital Bum. Too many times I have read excuses completely shift to why one would pirate Anime by even some of the same Users too making a complete 180 explanation to their excuses.

Too many modern Anime consumers have lived through a generation that makes them feel entitled to Anime simply because it exists and I feel it's largely due to piracy. CR use to actually be a site that simply just streamed pirated Anime before they actually started licensing it. It's even come to my attention recently that when Funimation was still around they too would sometimes stream old unlicensed Anime making that type of practice far from anything legal even if a majority of the stuff they offered on their platform was usually licensed.

Most hardcore Users who consume Anime will even admit they have never payed for Anime before in their life and even make MAL forum threads about the amount of Anime they have accumulated on external hard drives as if collecting ripped Anime off the internet is a hobby in itself.

Since there is a generation of Users who actually grew up watching Anime streaming for virtually no cost, they were already primed to acclimate to using legit streaming services. The same thing goes with movies and TV. In the past, I would often meet people in real life when on business who would talk about the TV show "Game of Thrones" but shockingly found out later they did not actually have an actual subscription to HBO to watch it (they simply either watched it streaming on some pirated site or watched illegally ripped copies of the TV show by downloading it on their computers). These people could easily afford to pay to subscribe to HBO too because they were all very affluent and all had very good jobs (HBO at the time even offered their services to stream on tablets and smart phones back then). Where if piracy wasn't some option to them, they would have likely normally just waited it out till they could get their hands on a physical release to either rent or buy Like they use to do before Streaming even existed.

PeripheralVision said:

I agree with this for the most part but when you are talking about the Western Anime community in general you would be shocked to learn a vast majority of active Users even on MAL pirate the Anime they consume simply because they feel entitled to it no matter what. Since there is literally no actual consequences they can face when illegally consuming Anime, they will continue to do so until the day they can't. From what I see on MAL, I don't really think they care about the "Shady websites with intrusive porno ads" aspect to begin with.

Then when you look at Japan they have never experienced this type of culture when it comes to media entertainment because piracy isn't a big issue in the country there. Otherwise It's likely physical media would have sharply fallen like it has in the West. Streaming is just as vastly available in Japan as it is in North America but in Japan Physical media is extremely alive and well unlike in other countries in the West where piracy is widespread.
ColourWheelJun 4, 9:38 AM
Jun 4, 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
Oh, hey everyone listen up! The trust fund baby is here to lecture us about piracy again.

Have you considered just not being poor?
Jun 4, 9:46 AM

Mar 2009
Hahaha I take blue-ray and dvd any day. Streaming is for people that don´t want to own anything. Also streaming is expensive because if you want to be sure to stream anything you like you may have to pay for 4-5 streaming sites so you end up paying 50-70 bucks a month. And lets not forget they remove shit from their sites.
Jun 4, 11:37 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to removed-user
Oh, hey everyone listen up! The trust fund baby is here to lecture us about piracy again.

Lhundrup said:

An indirect jab by trying to call me a trust fund baby? At least have the balls to direct this statement at who ever you were trying call out.

If I couldn't afford to pay for something, I certainly wouldn't feel entitled to it.

There have been many times I couldn't afford things growing up, but I didn't expect to get them for free. If I couldn't afford the bare minimum of paying for a single subscription fee that amounts to the price of a lunch at a fast food restaurant, I surely wouldn't waste any of my time trying to consuming any Anime to begin with even if I could get it for free. I would for sure be looking for new employment right away or find ways to get trained or even go back to school to get the education I would need to make more income. I certainly wouldn't bitch and whine about...

I would do something till I was in a position where I made enough to actually generate disposable income to afford a measly 10USDs a month to enjoy more Anime than I ever could ever dream of consuming when I was a teen back in the early 90s. Even having a part time job when I was still in high school, I probably spent more money renting videos on VHS at Blockbuster video probably then the amount of money some have ever seen in their life if they are that poor where the cost of a lunch is just too much for them.

If someone is a trust fund baby to you who can actually afford to pay for the things they enjoy (like as an example buying a lunch at a McDonalds), I don't look at it as some insult in contrast to someone who proudly illegally pirates Anime. I personally would rather be a trust fund baby than a complete lowlife leeching off others like those who proudly illegally pirate Anime as if it's some badge of honor to publicly admitting how much they are just simply complete digital lowlife bums with their illegal piracy practices.

Either way I agree with @SwordBreaker36 Blu-rays and DVDs are much more satisfying to own. Thankfully I have worked hard enough throughout my life to be in a position to afford Anime on Blu-ray and DVD too and treat it like it's complete chump change me. Or aka being a "Trust fund baby", Baby!

For those who can't afford 10USDs or the cost to eat lunch at a McDonalds to justify illegal piracy, no one wants to hear you bitch and whine about it.
ColourWheelJun 4, 11:47 AM
Jun 4, 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to ColourWheel
Lhundrup said:

An indirect jab by trying to call me a trust fund baby? At least have the balls to direct this statement at who ever you were trying call out.

If I couldn't afford to pay for something, I certainly wouldn't feel entitled to it.

There have been many times I couldn't afford things growing up, but I didn't expect to get them for free. If I couldn't afford the bare minimum of paying for a single subscription fee that amounts to the price of a lunch at a fast food restaurant, I surely wouldn't waste any of my time trying to consuming any Anime to begin with even if I could get it for free. I would for sure be looking for new employment right away or find ways to get trained or even go back to school to get the education I would need to make more income. I certainly wouldn't bitch and whine about...

I would do something till I was in a position where I made enough to actually generate disposable income to afford a measly 10USDs a month to enjoy more Anime than I ever could ever dream of consuming when I was a teen back in the early 90s. Even having a part time job when I was still in high school, I probably spent more money renting videos on VHS at Blockbuster video probably then the amount of money some have ever seen in their life if they are that poor where the cost of a lunch is just too much for them.

If someone is a trust fund baby to you who can actually afford to pay for the things they enjoy (like as an example buying a lunch at a McDonalds), I don't look at it as some insult in contrast to someone who proudly illegally pirates Anime. I personally would rather be a trust fund baby than a complete lowlife leeching off others like those who proudly illegally pirate Anime as if it's some badge of honor to publicly admitting how much they are just simply complete digital lowlife bums with their illegal piracy practices.

Either way I agree with @SwordBreaker36 Blu-rays and DVDs are much more satisfying to own. Thankfully I have worked hard enough throughout my life to be in a position to afford Anime on Blu-ray and DVD too and treat it like it's complete chump change me. Or aka being a "Trust fund baby", Baby!

For those who can't afford 10USDs or the cost to eat lunch at a McDonalds to justify illegal piracy, no one wants to hear you bitch and whine about it.
@ColourWheel Sounds like I hit a nerve. It doesn't matter if you're right or not, nobody wants to be talked down to by some arrogant ass with a superiority complex.
removed-userJun 4, 12:18 PM
Jun 4, 12:48 PM

Mar 2021
@Lhundrup

Get some perspective, seems like I hit a nerve in you 1st for you to make such a pointless statement like this right after I was simply addressing a question directed at me about piracy that wasn't even for you.

Lhundrup said:

Right here you were simply just being an ass. If you felt like you were being talked down to, then that only confirms this was indirectly trying to make some witty jab at me. For the record, I talk down any pussy who doesn't have the balls to directly address me.

So it shouldn't be that shocking to be talked down to by an arrogant ass with a superiority complex if you are starting things 1st by acting like an ass yourself.

If you can't handle something like this happening, then you shouldn't have made a shitpost to begin with.
ColourWheelJun 4, 1:05 PM
Jun 4, 12:53 PM

May 2018
MadanielFL said:
Netflix is not a producer for Edgerunners

OK. my mistake...but the other examples are valid.

MadanielFL said:
At least for Crunchyroll

They are coproducing less shows than Netflix, also they are financing a lesser fraction of the production. In that aspect said royalties are not that significant.
And for some reason they are obsessed with korean comics and prefer to colaborate with chinese companies (like BiliBili)...which means even less money for the japanese companies.
Jun 4, 1:35 PM

Feb 2021
alshu said:
They are coproducing less shows than Netflix, also they are financing a lesser fraction of the production. In that aspect said royalties are not that significant.
And for some reason they are obsessed with korean comics and prefer to colaborate with chinese companies (like BiliBili)...which means even less money for the japanese companies.
What???

CR is most certainly not co-producing less than Netflix.
And CR and bilibili rarely produce anime together. Cr's biggest partner is usually Kadokawa, Kodansha, or Bandai Namco.
Also how do you know it's "a lesser fraction of the production"? Cause CR is usually the second top producer in a committee, meaning they invest the second most of all the companies.
Jun 4, 1:51 PM

May 2018
MadanielFL said:
CR is most certainly not co-producing less than Netflix.

O RLY?

MadanielFL said:
And CR and bilibili rarely produce anime together.

Still they do it sometimes and this is demonstrating their approach.

MadanielFL said:
Kadokawa, Kodansha, or Bandai Namco

Who are usually the copyright owners and you can't do anything without them.

MadanielFL said:
Also how do you know it's "a lesser fraction of the production"?

Someone on YT was talking about it...Mother's Basement maybe?

MadanielFL said:
Cause CR is usually the second top producer in a committee

In you dreams? They usually participate as much as to have the right to put their logo on some shows.
The main cases when they have actually putted money is when they have sponsored their obsession with korean cringe trends.
Jun 4, 2:36 PM

Feb 2021
alshu said:
In you dreams? They usually participate as much as to have the right to put their logo on some shows.
My dreams?
If CR is not second on the committee they are usually third.
Very rare for CR to be a minor producer in any show they invest on.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are certain anime girls considered plain even though they are cute in their own right?

fallout45 - 10 hours ago

15 by MasterTasuke »»
21 seconds ago

» What anime has best memes

nishant0 - 8 hours ago

10 by faleagum »»
6 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Yesterday

36 by Quadruple_Oi »»
20 minutes ago

» Favorite opening (or ending) of an anime you haven't seen

Phantomtroupe97 - 7 hours ago

23 by Khashishi »»
52 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

654 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.