Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 8:40 PM
Nov 2018
Okay, I know I'm in the minority but for some reason I can't get behind Fern x Stark. It feels like the story had to put them together because they're the opposite sex of the same age even though they didn't get along. I also feel like it's not really as wholesome since Fern has never even been around a guy her age so it seems like it's moreso Stark being the only male teen rather than them actually being compatible. I just personally feel like the anime would be just a great if they were just friends. I'm curious as to why everyone else think they work as a couple.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 8:57 PM
Nov 2020
Okay there are more things to enjoy besides there romance. Personally I love there pair and enjoy there shipping, you should give it more time because they do some amazing stuff together later in the story
Jan 6, 9:32 PM
Nov 2018
Mdraj6996 said:
Okay there are more things to enjoy besides there romance. Personally I love there pair and enjoy there shipping, you should give it more time because they do some amazing stuff together later in the story

That's probably true but I'm curious as to how they would act around a bunch of other teenagers. I guess I just feel like there's no good reason for it because so far, it hasn't done anything for the story.
Jan 6, 9:34 PM
May 2023
Royalty459 said:
Okay, I know I'm in the minority but for some reason I can't get behind Fern x Stark. It feels like the story had to put them together because they're the opposite sex of the same age even though they didn't get along. I also feel like it's not really as wholesome since Fern has never even been around a guy her age so it seems like it's moreso Stark being the only male teen rather than them actually being compatible. I just personally feel like the anime would be just a great if they were just friends. I'm curious as to why everyone else think they work as a couple.

I agree it could have been a great friendship
Jan 6, 9:45 PM
Jan 2021
cool. (I have nothing to add since I only just finished episode 4, but so far I like Frieren being kinda Asexual because it's nice seeing her emotional connection with others while knowing it's not sexual on her part and ships don't matter. Haven't met Stark yet, but you explained yourself well, I'll probably agree cuz 85% of the time I think romance between main characters is forced and/or would prefer it wasn't there, but we'll see)
SoulessAnimeJan 6, 9:49 PM
Jan 6, 9:53 PM
Jan 2023
Cestlavie_ said:
Me that wants a female love rival thrown into the mix for some romcom shenanigans

I agree. Fern doesn’t appreciate Stark enough need another candidate.
Jan 6, 10:01 PM
May 2021
As far as the anime goes they are still just friends, they are not dating yet, nor can we tell if they will. In my opinion just because they are kinda awkward around each other and all that doesn't mean that they will end up together in the end - maybe Fern will ultimately decide that she is not feeling it between them?? We can't tell yet. 🤔
They don't bother me too much, but I also don't personally ship them - they are just there, I don't mind.
Jan 6, 10:08 PM
Jul 2022
Honestly, I'd much prefer a "friendemies to lovers" kinda relationship than the typical "fell in love at first sight" with some random character introduced later.
As I also responded to your Apothecary Diaries post, I think it's unfair to criticize a ship for being a ship.
Again, the anime isn't trying to forcefully stablish them as a couple because they're not even together in the first place (yet).
It is just dumb to criticize it for actually having some development between them, even if you don't enjoy their initial (or current) dynamic.

It's dumb to bring forward the idea of them meeting other teenagers because what would these "other teenagers" bring to the table in the first place? Friendship? Love rivalry?
Like, it just sounds to me that you just don't enjoy their current dynamic having some romantic subtext and want them to forcefully hook them with other people, which is literally the thing you're criticizing.

As I said in my other post, nothing has been officially stablished. A ship is just a ship.
Them having romantic subtext in their relationship doesn't mean they're already together nor does it mean that they're actually gonna end up together (even if it's kinda obvious).
The author could literally decide to make an argument between them and split them apart at any moment because they're not together in the first place.
tAb0Jan 6, 11:46 PM
Jan 6, 10:27 PM
Jul 2022
tAb0 said:
Honestly, I'd much prefer a "friendemies to lovers" kinda relationship than the typical "fell in love at first sight".
As I also responded to your Apothecary Diaries post, I think it's unfair to criticize a ship for being a ship.
Again, the anime isn't trying to forcefully getting them together because they're not even together in the first place (yet).
It is just dumb to criticize it for actually having some development between them, even if you don't enjoy their initial (or current) dinamic.

It's dumb to bring forward the idea of them meeting other teenagers because what would these "other teenagers" bring to the table in the first place? Friendship? Love rivalry?
Like, it just sounds to me that you just enjoy their current dinamic having some romantic subtext and want them to forcefully hook them with other people.

As I said in my other post, nothing has been officially stablished. Is just a ship.
Them having romantic subtext in their relationship doesn't mean they're already together nor does it mean that they're actually gonna end up together (even if it's knida obvious).
The author could literally decide to make an argument between them and split the apart at any moment because they're not together.

I agree with this post.
Jan 6, 10:41 PM
Dec 2022
Royalty459 said:

finally, someone who's just as logical as me. I seriously don't see the point of shipping Fern and Stark. like dude, I don't even get it. what the hell?
Jan 6, 10:42 PM
Aug 2021
SoulessAnime said:
cool. (I have nothing to add since I only just finished episode 4, but so far I like Frieren being kinda Asexual because it's nice seeing her emotional connection with others while knowing it's not sexual on her part and ships don't matter. Haven't met Stark yet, but you explained yourself well, I'll probably agree cuz 85% of the time I think romance between main characters is forced and/or would prefer it wasn't there, but we'll see)

Maybe watch a bit more before you talk about Frieren being Asexual.
Jan 6, 10:55 PM
Jul 2022
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
Royalty459 said:

finally, someone who's just as logical as me. I seriously don't see the point of shipping Fern and Stark. like dude, I don't even get it. what the hell?

This is just dumb. The series doesn't "ship" them. It stablishes a dynamic between characters and the adds romantic subtext over it to develop it; they're not even together in the first place.
How are you being logical if you're just having a subjective opinion over a concept such as a ship of all things
Jan 6, 11:00 PM
Sep 2021
yeah i agree

stark Literally does nothing wrong and then fern gets angry at him, then she acts " stubborn ", rinse and repeat

the worst example of this is when she thought he's a pervert for no reason just because he wanted to lift up Frieren
Jan 6, 11:02 PM
Dec 2022
tAb0 said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

This is just dumb. The series doesn't "ship" them. It stablishes a dynamic between characters and the adds romantic subtext over it to develop it; they're not even together in the first place.
How are you being logical if you're just having a subjective opinion over a concept such as a ship of all things

I never specifically said the series ships them. you can assume if that's your forte but don't bring it near me. that act of being presumptuous seriously disgusts me. thank you.
Jan 6, 11:37 PM
Nov 2020
Huh I guess this is what watching too many of those woke Hollywood romcoms and not having a romantic life does to you, you can't even accept a simple love story revolving around 2 teens traveling and growing together. I mean seriously what is even so unrealistic/illogical about all of this? If Stark just so happens to be the one guy she trusts and resonates with them so be it. Why do you want a whole bunch of guys/gals thrown around Fern and then have her "choose" one of them? You don't get to choose your lover it's a mutual decision just like in real life where a lot of couples are formed between coworkers and classmates. Fern and Stark happen to be going on the same adventure together, are in a phase where they seek a member of the opposite sex but they also trust each other and feel at ease in each other's presence and this is what makes it a good romance.

It's not like Fern trusted him since the first time they met either she slowly grew to trust him as they went on adventures together and helped each other out. It would have been unrealistic if it was some sort of love at first sight with one of them simping hard for the other(like literally every other romcom). If you want to see some sort of love triangle or polygon where the girl gets to "choose" from a flock of hot guys maybe go watch a shoujo or any other Hollywood flick.
Jan 7, 12:02 AM

Apr 2021
Royalty459 said:

Aren’t you jumping the gun?

They aren’t exactly a couple and she makes it very clear that they are not a thing.

She was bothered that she remembered his Bday and gave him a present, but he did not give her a present on time.

Other than that, I didn’t see any relationship other than party members.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 7, 12:07 AM
Nov 2018
ejleon said:
Royalty459 said:

They aren’t exactly a couple and she makes it very clear that they are not a thing.

She was bothered that she remembered his Bday and gave him a present, but he did not give her a present on time.

I mean it's pretty obvious imo that they will end up together, especially after that dance scene.
Jan 7, 12:19 AM
Mar 2023
I don’t agree with disliking the ship, but this is a completely valid and respectable critique.
Jan 7, 12:25 AM

Jan 2009
ye youre definitely in the vocal minority on this one
Jan 7, 12:27 AM
Sep 2021
Not gotta lie but i was feeling the same way about the ship. But i also agree that there needs to be a love rival to spice things up a bit. So i can like the ship more.
Jan 7, 12:30 AM

Jul 2020
it just adds cuteness and sweetness to the story, nothing more, nothing less. don't overthink it
Jan 7, 12:48 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Royalty459
ejleon said:
Royalty459 said:

I mean it's pretty obvious imo that they will end up together, especially after that dance scene.
@Royalty459 I don’t know, maybe, but perhaps not
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 7, 2:09 AM
Feb 2021
Royalty459 said:

you gotta remember though that they've already been traveling together for a year they definitely came across other teenagers
Jan 7, 4:47 AM
Mashed Potato
Dec 2021
it does feel like they are forcing a relationship where there's no need for one.

I really like their friendship, but I don't think it needs to be anything more than that.
Jan 7, 4:50 AM

Jan 2015
Reply to AshuAmbrose
Huh I guess this is what watching too many of those woke Hollywood romcoms and not having a romantic life does to you, you can't even accept a simple love story revolving around 2 teens traveling and growing together. I mean seriously what is even so unrealistic/illogical about all of this? If Stark just so happens to be the one guy she trusts and resonates with them so be it. Why do you want a whole bunch of guys/gals thrown around Fern and then have her "choose" one of them? You don't get to choose your lover it's a mutual decision just like in real life where a lot of couples are formed between coworkers and classmates. Fern and Stark happen to be going on the same adventure together, are in a phase where they seek a member of the opposite sex but they also trust each other and feel at ease in each other's presence and this is what makes it a good romance.

It's not like Fern trusted him since the first time they met either she slowly grew to trust him as they went on adventures together and helped each other out. It would have been unrealistic if it was some sort of love at first sight with one of them simping hard for the other(like literally every other romcom). If you want to see some sort of love triangle or polygon where the girl gets to "choose" from a flock of hot guys maybe go watch a shoujo or any other Hollywood flick.
@AshuAmbrose 100% Agree
Jan 7, 4:52 AM
Jan 2021
Ri-iel said:
SoulessAnime said:

I've been following it, hence why I know who Stark is (and Aura and generally what happens), from everything I've seen Frieren was never sexually attracted to Himmel if that's what you mean (because that's the most popular ship). All the evidence I've seen has again been a strong emotional attachment rather than any shot of an actual couple who has sex - also because he's dead - even though Himmel obviously would've liked that

I mean I even looked it up to see manga spoilers and even they haven't seen any sexual relationship (or even romance) from Frieren as of this post. Mostly they talk about how elves have little interest in having sex which is why their race is slowly disappearing
SoulessAnimeJan 7, 4:58 AM
Jan 7, 5:36 AM
Nov 2018
SoulessAnime said:
Ri-iel said:

I've been following it, hence why I know who Stark is (and Aura and generally what happens), from everything I've seen Frieren was never sexually attracted to Himmel if that's what you mean (because that's the most popular ship). All the evidence I've seen has again been a strong emotional attachment rather than any shot of an actual couple who has sex - also because he's dead - even though Himmel obviously would've liked that

I mean I even looked it up to see manga spoilers and even they haven't seen any sexual relationship (or even romance) from Frieren as of this post. Mostly they talk about how elves have little interest in having sex which is why their race is slowly disappearing

Frieren never really understood humans so she never picked up on Himmel's advances. She's only now realizing he loved and even proposed to her. Even though she hasn't said it, I'm pretty sure she would at least give him a chance if she could redo it because it does seem like she might've had feelings for him if she knew what she does now.
Jan 7, 5:38 AM

May 2019
In that medieval set, youngsters with +17 years old don't seek for sex?

That is what surprises me the most.

I would be happy with Frieren adding some Mushoku Tensei features...
Jan 7, 5:49 AM
Aug 2022
TokeiSenpai said:
Cestlavie_ said:
Me that wants a female love rival thrown into the mix for some romcom shenanigans

Literally though. She's always taking his kindness for granted, so if she sees another potential rival, I hope she'll appreciate Stark more and stop getting mad at him over the pettiest things.
Jan 7, 6:12 AM
Jan 2021
Royalty459 said:
SoulessAnime said:

Frieren never really understood humans so she never picked up on Himmel's advances. She's only now realizing he loved and even proposed to her. Even though she hasn't said it, I'm pretty sure she would at least give him a chance if she could redo it because it does seem like she might've had feelings for him if she knew what she does now.

Completely unrelated to my original statement (because as we both established, there's no evidence for her being sexually attracted, but it is possible), but I think that "if she could go back" thinking is such a funny way to ship, because she can't go back since this character development is happening now.

Like if I could go back with my current mind then I'd talk to two of my friends more because I didn't quite realize how much they meant until I lost our relationship, but I wouldn't have changed if I didn't lose the relationship. I'd be a version of me that current me would dislike.
I think that's the beauty of Frieren. The growth and character changes brought about by loss and time. It's not focused on the past, it's just showing it as a tool to show Frieren change and grow, without Himmel passing she never would've taken and cared for Fern or done so much good in the future. If she went back she wouldn't have changed and therefore would've never realized how much Himmel meant to her and how much others short lives can mean as well.
Jan 7, 6:26 AM
Feb 2016
what part of them is being shipped? They're about as close as friends of the opposite sex are normally. Their ship is in the heads of the viewers.
Jan 7, 6:48 AM
Apr 2020
I can't get any of the shipping💀 it's boring and me no likey
Jan 7, 7:46 AM

Nov 2008
Royalty459 said:

Same here. I love their friendship so much, but can't get the ship either. And I'm not curious at all about how the relationship will develop. I' just enjoying their friendship
Jan 7, 8:28 AM
May 2023
TokeiSenpai said:
Cestlavie_ said:

maybe in the next episodes we one of the new characters will like stark and then fern will start to get jealous
Jan 7, 8:43 AM
Nov 2017
Stark is that stereotypical dense that blurt out romantic things without realizing, while Fern is the typical tsundere who like it but act otherwise.
Nothing new here.
Jan 7, 8:51 AM
Oct 2022
Teens spending lots of time together and needing to have each other's back which forms a kind of intimacy. Romance kind of feels natural to me at that age.

Has Stark been around more teen girls? I know he protected that town and goes out and helps people, but if seemed like his time from being young was spent training with his brother, training with Eisen, training on his own making a gash in the cliff.
Jan 7, 9:00 AM
Nov 2018
SoulessAnime said:
Royalty459 said:

Completely unrelated to my original statement (because as we both established, there's no evidence for her being sexually attracted, but it is possible), but I think that "if she could go back" thinking is such a funny way to ship, because she can't go back since this character development is happening now.

Like if I could go back with my current mind then I'd talk to two of my friends more because I didn't quite realize how much they meant until I lost our relationship, but I wouldn't have changed if I didn't lose the relationship. I'd be a version of me that current me would dislike.
I think that's the beauty of Frieren. The growth and character changes brought about by loss and time. It's not focused on the past, it's just showing it as a tool to show Frieren change and grow, without Himmel passing she never would've taken and cared for Fern or done so much good in the future. If she went back she wouldn't have changed and therefore would've never realized how much Himmel meant to her and how much others short lives can mean as well.

Agree to disagree
Jan 7, 9:01 AM
Aug 2019
Eh … I guess if Fern had lots of options she wouldn’t choose him, but that isn’t the case. You don’t need the perfect someone to fall in love. Sometimes, all it takes is spending enough time with someone that’s really nice. Isn’t that why they say starting as friends leads to the best relationships
Jan 7, 9:18 AM
May 2023
they're cute together and look good together. if you don't like it then you don't like it, if you do then you do. that's all there really is to it.
Jan 7, 10:06 AM
May 2021
Royalty459 said:

I think they work well together and despite being great opposites they make a good couple.
Jan 7, 11:58 AM
Jul 2022
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
tAb0 said:

I never specifically said the series ships them. you can assume if that's your forte but don't bring it near me. that act of being presumptuous seriously disgusts me. thank you.

I mean you did say you didn't like how they were shipped and in the next sentence you talked about how the show only put them together because they are the opposite sex. it does seem like that was exactly what you were saying
Jan 7, 11:59 AM
Dec 2022
El_Matador874 said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

I mean you did say you didn't like how they were shipped and in the next sentence you talked about how the show only put them together because they are the opposite sex. it does seem like that was exactly what you were saying

very well then....
Jan 7, 12:00 PM
Oct 2017
I like the slow and steady approach the show is taking. And remember, it takes place over the course of a few years, so it's only natural they might sprout feelings for each other.
Jan 7, 12:45 PM
Mar 2023
why are people sitting here arguing about this and talking about love rivals when the anime has nothing to do with it and the developments between stark and fern are such a tiny part of this story lol. they’re just experiencing adolescence and discovering the opposite sex is part of that. anything beyond that y’all are thinking way too hard.
Jan 7, 2:13 PM

Aug 2022
this fucking pos bait posts. why to post the same shit in 2 different animes.
Jan 7, 4:02 PM
May 2020
Keep crying about this ship but at end of day manga reader and i myself know that there going to end up together.Author literally ship them. If you see them as a friend it's ok but do dislike them just because anime ship them.Madhouse literally animeted Most beautiful Dance for them.
DarkCoFFiNSouLJan 7, 4:05 PM
Jan 7, 4:46 PM
Jun 2020
your right. it feels out of place and pretty forced. they barely seem like friends and out of the blue she is getting mad over a busy present? there is nothing of note that is going to be made better by forcing the pair together. I don't mind the back and forth dynamic, but that only makes the pairing even more out of place. just one of those times where they should have left the romance element out of the story
Jan 7, 9:16 PM
Oct 2012
I'm but an unsophisticated man who finds it rather natural. Of course, one good example can make me change my mind.
If you think it's forced, please provide an exchange evidencing this.
Jan 8, 3:33 AM
Jan 2022
Cestlavie_ said:

Nahh you absolute menace and im with you 😭
Jan 8, 6:56 PM
Dec 2022
this is cute asf, wdym
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will Season 2 be just as good?

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

2 by Rhae »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2023

285 by MasterK »»
3 hours ago

» A question about Himmel (spoiler)

ColourWheel - 10 hours ago

9 by Asahinchi »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » "Sousou no Frieren" Adult Adaptation has been announced ( 1 2 )

deg - May 16

51 by CottonModem »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

821 by corvKa »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.