Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

people who don't like 'The Eminence in Shadow' – are they pretentious or just don't like having fun?

The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 28, 2023 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
i've seen a lot of reviews saying that this is carried by animation and it's just a trashy parody by comparing it to some hated isekai like "roh", etc... do u agree with their thoughts? what do u guys think about all of this?
removed-userOct 28, 2023 7:36 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 28, 2023 6:48 AM
May 2023
its vibes, hilarious, the show is so bad it’s actually interesting lmao
Oct 28, 2023 6:48 AM
Aug 2023
Natzw said:
i've seen a lot of reviews saying that this is carried by animation and it's just a trashy parody by comparing it some hated isekai like "roh", etc... do u agree with their thoughts? what do u guys think about all of this?

disagree
eminence in shadow ftw
Oct 28, 2023 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to suiii69
Natzw said:
i've seen a lot of reviews saying that this is carried by animation and it's just a trashy parody by comparing it some hated isekai like "roh", etc... do u agree with their thoughts? what do u guys think about all of this?

disagree
eminence in shadow ftw
@sanchayy yeah, i enjoyed it a lot and cid is the greatest background character ever created in the anime history XD
Oct 28, 2023 7:17 AM
Dec 2021
I think they took the storyline too seriously where the main character was basically just looking for fun and satisfaction as a shadow ruler
Note: CID never takes things seriously, he was just having fun
Oct 28, 2023 7:20 AM

Feb 2021
They haven't read the light novel, that's for sure
Oct 28, 2023 7:26 AM
Oct 2020
For me, this is the best isekai in years, it's truly a masterpiece
Oct 28, 2023 7:28 AM
Jan 2023
it was kinda boring ngl
Oct 28, 2023 7:31 AM
May 2021
They just hate this show for no reason lol. Noobs !
Oct 28, 2023 7:34 AM
Dec 2022
I think you hit the nail on its head by saying "its a good show, but objectively its bad". Its a fun show to watch when you're in the mood for something trashy but entertaining.
However its still the thousandth isekai that is reusing the same tropes for the thousandth time while adding their unique little quirk. If it wasn't as visually pleasing and so-stupid-that-it-is-funny it wouldn't be this popular and well rated.
Oct 28, 2023 7:36 AM
Mar 2021
It’s one of the best parody of an isekai I hv seen and the show never takes itself seriously so I don’t know why other ppl take the story as a serious one as well I think that’s the main reason some ppl don’t like this show is bcoz they don’t get or know that, the whole premise is about a guy wanting to fulfill his chuunibyou dreams and thinking that everything that is happening around him is part of his path to becoming the eminence in shadow if you’re smart enough the Japanese title of the show could tell u everything about the what kind of story it will be.
UruichiOct 28, 2023 7:41 AM
Oct 28, 2023 7:56 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to Uruichi
It’s one of the best parody of an isekai I hv seen and the show never takes itself seriously so I don’t know why other ppl take the story as a serious one as well I think that’s the main reason some ppl don’t like this show is bcoz they don’t get or know that, the whole premise is about a guy wanting to fulfill his chuunibyou dreams and thinking that everything that is happening around him is part of his path to becoming the eminence in shadow if you’re smart enough the Japanese title of the show could tell u everything about the what kind of story it will be.
Uruichi said:

@Uruichi I think the premise of the show is pretty easy to understand and therefore the majority doesn't take the show seriously. Some just don't like this premise because its objectively stupid. It really boils down to wether you enjoy watching something stupid or not.
Oct 28, 2023 7:59 AM
Mar 2021
PsychVstar said:
Uruichi said:

@Uruichi I think the premise of the show is pretty easy to understand and therefore the majority doesn't take the show seriously. Some just don't like this premise because its objectively stupid. It really boils down to wether you enjoy watching something stupid or not.

I can see that but for me atleast it’s the fun kind of stupid that I can roll with not the boring kind.
Oct 28, 2023 8:16 AM
Oct 2023
CrunchyCrobat said:

U watch mushoku tensei? Slime?
Oct 28, 2023 8:19 AM
Feb 2022
this show is a parody of all iseka and i think it is fun
Oct 28, 2023 8:22 AM
Oct 2020
zqhradnikova_ said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

I have watched mushoku, but I like this more, also no matter how hard I try, I cannot get myself to watch slime, also it's more than a few years old (I am not counting sequels as the anime coming out)
Oct 28, 2023 8:24 AM

Apr 2016
How can someone whos pretentious not like something that's pretentious ?

OP, you are making no sense.
Oct 28, 2023 8:38 AM
Mar 2023
I mean, I don't necessarily care much for It but I acknowledge that it is a good show, but some of others who don't care for it are just hating on it for no real reason. The show overall for me didn't resonate with me much, but I ain't gonna call it bad just because it wasn't my most favorite thing to watch.
ZeanovaOct 28, 2023 8:42 AM
Oct 28, 2023 8:46 AM
Dec 2022
all ima say is its peak
Oct 28, 2023 8:49 AM

Jul 2022
I honestly like how funny Cid is, plus he plays the piano and he is just there to have fun in this new world of his.
Also the way he makes fun of edgy phrases and his OP powers is on point.

The story can get a bit repetitive though, but that´s probably the point of it.

As has been said before, it is a good fun but you can´t take it too seriously or expect too much of it which is the show´s strong point actually. it is not mind-blowing and I don´t really think it is trying to be.

sweaters, coffee and a bouquet of flowers
Oct 28, 2023 9:00 AM
Oct 2023
CrunchyCrobat said:
zqhradnikova_ said:

I have watched mushoku, but I like this more, also no matter how hard I try, I cannot get myself to watch slime, also it's more than a few years old (I am not counting sequels as the anime coming out)

Oh i see but still i think u should at least give it a chance. For me, its one of the best anime ive ever seen. And i like to rewach it from time to time
Oct 28, 2023 9:10 AM
Aug 2021
zqhradnikova_ said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

Slime imo became bad at S2 part 2, i dont understand why they made the villain so bad at combat and without a Plan against Slime(1v1)(even tough we see him doing some big Plan for all the season, also S1 they presented him like a Genius tactician) also the fact they made rimuru a healer, giving him revival Powers, ruining what could be good, his subordinates die, giving depth in the character development.
Oct 28, 2023 9:12 AM
Mar 2023
Personally I think the show is more of a “meh”. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. That being said, it got me to stick around for the second season. The world and characters are interesting. The premise as well is kind of funny and has potential. After watching the first season I was confused as to whether the show was supposed to be serious or more comedic like Konosuba. It’s not as funny as other parodies but it also isn’t meant to be taken seriously. So I’d say it’s a “meh”. (I also don’t really watch the Isekai genre too much so most jokes are probably flying straight over my head)
Oct 28, 2023 9:32 AM
May 2023
Dabbingpotato said:
its vibes, hilarious, the show is so bad it’s actually interesting lmao

tbf the animation is quite good , but the plotline is so goofy it makes it quite enjoyable and funny. it's the only show where the MC is overpowered and still is quite enjoyable to watch
Oct 28, 2023 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Swagernator
How can someone whos pretentious not like something that's pretentious ?

OP, you are making no sense.
@Swagernator i get what you're saying. i used the word 'pretentious' because some people hate on shows that aren't widely praised. they form their opinions based on reviews written by self-proclaimed 'elitists' or anime connoisseurs. because of this, they come off as pretentious and only like things with high ratings and try to be fake with their own feelings. they also tend to dislike genres like isekai and shounen more frequently than before, thinking they are objectively bad. that is why the so called 'burnout' occurs and they end up hating on anime as a result lol
Oct 28, 2023 9:45 AM
May 2021
While the show is fun if you’re not in on the joke or you genuinely don’t like something about it then it’s a valid opinion
If you don’t like it just ignore it
Oct 28, 2023 10:11 AM

Mar 2021
CrimsonPunk01 said:
Personally I think the show is more of a “meh”. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. That being said, it got me to stick around for the second season. The world and characters are interesting. The premise as well is kind of funny and has potential. After watching the first season I was confused as to whether the show was supposed to be serious or more comedic like Konosuba. It’s not as funny as other parodies but it also isn’t meant to be taken seriously. So I’d say it’s a “meh”. (I also don’t really watch the Isekai genre too much so most jokes are probably flying straight over my head)

The humor of Konosuba is more like a gag and slapstick comedy, while Kagejitsu's humor is dry. The jokes are delivered in a very serious tone, lacking much expressions, which actually makes it funny. For example, we see Cid narrating his past and his motives in a pretty serious tone. But, when you realize how ridiculously stupid they are, thats when the joke hits. A lot of people fail to get this, but interpretation differs from people to people.
Oct 28, 2023 10:48 AM
Apr 2016
It’s a fun read/watch but I wish Cid was less dense and obnoxious. He’s really not a likable character. Cool design and powers as shadow but that’s about it. As a human being he’s awful.
Oct 28, 2023 11:08 AM

Sep 2020
If fun is defined by whatever crap this is, then I'm having none of it for the rest of my life.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Oct 28, 2023 12:03 PM

Mar 2023
The plot's duality of being absolute shit and ironically funny makes the show objectively good.

People should realize this before or when they meet Perv Asshat.
Oct 28, 2023 1:37 PM
Jun 2020
The main character is never taking the things seriously. He is just having fun. Look at the new eps he just wanted to print the money which he couldn’t do in the real world but in this world he could but when he told the elf about it in a cool way she thought it was something else took it in a different way still he tried to divert her and you could see how frustrated John Smith aka shadow was😂 when he got out of the train. so its just a fun show with isekai touch. People are really judging it as if it promised some kind of masterpiece storyline from the start. It was all about cid having fun from the sidelines as side character which he is clearly not anyways and that’s what he is doing.
Oct 28, 2023 1:48 PM

Aug 2021
It's not my kind of show but it was good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2023 3:24 PM

Oct 2021
Do people really think this is carried by the animation? How?? Even calling it decent is already being generous here.
Oct 28, 2023 5:34 PM

Sep 2014
I liked the premise but the characters fall flat and it’s literally Cid with a harem. Did I finish it? Yes? Will I watch S2? Probably not. I hate fan service and didn’t care for any of the characters. Cid is a literal chunibyo or whoever tf you spell it. I know I shouldn’t expect every series to have 3 dimensional characters like AOT, monster, or other highly regarded series but I did just want those so 🤷🏽‍♀️ I also am a straight female so fan service aimed towards horny straight men makes me laugh at how stupid it handled
Oct 28, 2023 8:51 PM

Apr 2022
the fights and dialogue are just boring. i haven't heard anyone say it's carried by the animation, it isn't even that good. the fanservice is what actually carries.
Oct 28, 2023 9:58 PM

Oct 2015
zqhradnikova_ said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

Taste differs~

For me, Mushoku Tensei goes downhill at around Vol 18. If I were to tier all the isekai LNs I have read from A to E, I will tier Mushoku Tensei as B-Tier, same tier as Dahlia In Bloom, Youjo Senki, etc. Not A-tier isekai such as Sasaki And Peeps or Modern Villainess.

I cannot speak for Slime, not my type of isekai. Most of the LN readers I know tend to tell me to read Ascendence Of Bookworm instead. I heard that the story of Slime eventually stagnates later on.

I cannot judge Shadow yet because there are only 5 volumes, it is at a point where the story can go anywhere~
Oct 28, 2023 11:25 PM
Sep 2021
" it's a parody isekai "

yes it's a parody, that's why it plays every single trope straight and takes itself seriously 80% of the time!!!!!

the MC is extremely unlikable and cringe, the Characters are non Characters and just plot devices, the story and the world makes no sense and is just bunch of stuff happening

it's not even bad but there's nothing particularly good about it, heck it's not even funny unless if you enjoy Reddit humor
Oct 29, 2023 12:02 AM

Jun 2016
How can something be good but objectively bad? I don't get this option on the poll.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 29, 2023 12:27 AM
Nov 2022
For isekai genres, I like Re Zero dan Mushoku Tensei because the character development is good. For me, Eminence of Shadows, Cid Kagenou is chuunibyou, and his words similary like Ainz Ooal Gown (Overlord), that what he said always true. The comedy was great, but the story makes me confused. Also Cid Kagenou have similary costume like Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass) and their two is also anti-hero character.
Oct 29, 2023 2:09 AM
Feb 2022
NewestPersonHere said:
zqhradnikova_ said:

Taste differs~

For me, Mushoku Tensei goes downhill at around Vol 18. If I were to tier all the isekai LNs I have read from A to E, I will tier Mushoku Tensei as B-Tier, same tier as Dahlia In Bloom, Youjo Senki, etc. Not A-tier isekai such as Sasaki And Peeps or Modern Villainess.

I cannot speak for Slime, not my type of isekai. Most of the LN readers I know tend to tell me to read Ascendence Of Bookworm instead. I heard that the story of Slime eventually stagnates later on.

I cannot judge Shadow yet because there are only 5 volumes, it is at a point where the story can go anywhere~

How it goes downhill from volume 18 you are the only one from the whole community said that when there is volume 23 up to 26 best volume in mushoku in general and no offense i read modern villainess its good but its not nowhere masterpiece like MT its like low b tier
kratos_skyOct 29, 2023 2:16 AM
Oct 29, 2023 2:43 AM

Oct 2021
@EyeAmTheI to make more misunderstanding obviously, this is a misunderstanding comedy anime.
Oct 29, 2023 3:30 AM

Oct 2015
kratos_sky said:
NewestPersonHere said:

Taste differs~

How it goes downhill from volume 18 you are the only one from the whole community said that when there is volume 23 up to 26 best volume in mushoku in general and no offense i read modern villainess its good but its not nowhere masterpiece like MT its like low b tier

I have read up to Vol 24 of MT. I enjoyed Vol 23 especially Rudy’s conversation with Nanahoshi. Vol 24 is just straightforward, I neither like nor dislike it.
I cannot comment on Vol 25-26 because I have not read it yet. I will place it at B-tier for now. It might move up or down depending on the last 2 volumes.
Well, taste differs, I know a ton of readers who dropped MT at Vol 1.
Oct 29, 2023 3:37 AM
Feb 2022
NewestPersonHere said:
kratos_sky said:

I have read up to Vol 24 of MT. I enjoyed Vol 23 especially Rudy’s conversation with Nanahoshi. Vol 24 is just straightforward, I neither like nor dislike it.
I cannot comment on Vol 25-26 because I have not read it yet. I will place it at B-tier for now. It might move up or down depending on the last 2 volumes.

If you rate MT below those A-tier novels that u mention then iam sorry but you don’t know how to rank novels from the world building to the character development what make these novel better than MT if i may ask cuz i literally finished modern villainess and there is no category i can mention that beat MT and for people who dropped from volume 1 didn’t even finish the prologue of the story so that irrelevant
Oct 29, 2023 5:38 AM

Oct 2015
kratos_sky said:
NewestPersonHere said:

If you rate MT below those A-tier novels that u mention then iam sorry but you don’t know how to rank novels from the world building to the character development what make these novel better than MT if i may ask cuz i literally finished modern villainess and there is no category i can mention that beat MT and for people who dropped from volume 1 didn’t even finish the prologue of the story so that irrelevant

There is no such things as “don’t know how to rank novels”. We are different people so we have different ranking systems. If a hundred of LN readers are asked to tier isekai, there will be many different tier list due everyone having different tastes and hence different criterias. I have met people who enjoyed Realist Hero and Campfire Cooking more than MT.

I ranked based on world building, character background, character development, originality, story structure, well-researched, philosophy messages, etc. Not just world building and character development.

I am not going to disagree that MT has better character development than Modern Villainess and Sasaki And Peeps.
I ranked Modern Villainess over MT because of how well-researched the world is, considering that I live in Asia, which is affected by 1998 Thailand financial crisis.
Sasaki And Peeps destroys MT in world building, mixing modern world and medieval fantasy world, but there is less character development because the protagonist is already a mature middle-aged man.

As I mentioned above, my isekai tier list might change after I read Vol 25 or Vol 26.

Fun fact: Majority of LN readers I know rank Ascendence Of Bookworm over MT, I cannot comment on that since I have not read Ascendence Of Bookworm.
Oct 29, 2023 5:53 AM
Jul 2022
samsince04 said:
If fun is defined by whatever crap this is, then I'm having none of it for the rest of my life.

speech 1000+ ,facts
Oct 29, 2023 6:43 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to NewestPersonHere
kratos_sky said:
NewestPersonHere said:

There is no such things as “don’t know how to rank novels”. We are different people so we have different ranking systems. If a hundred of LN readers are asked to tier isekai, there will be many different tier list due everyone having different tastes and hence different criterias. I have met people who enjoyed Realist Hero and Campfire Cooking more than MT.

I ranked based on world building, character background, character development, originality, story structure, well-researched, philosophy messages, etc. Not just world building and character development.

I am not going to disagree that MT has better character development than Modern Villainess and Sasaki And Peeps.
I ranked Modern Villainess over MT because of how well-researched the world is, considering that I live in Asia, which is affected by 1998 Thailand financial crisis.
Sasaki And Peeps destroys MT in world building, mixing modern world and medieval fantasy world, but there is less character development because the protagonist is already a mature middle-aged man.

As I mentioned above, my isekai tier list might change after I read Vol 25 or Vol 26.

Fun fact: Majority of LN readers I know rank Ascendence Of Bookworm over MT, I cannot comment on that since I have not read Ascendence Of Bookworm.
@NewestPersonHere Like you said its a taste different after all but from what you just said you admit that all the categories you mentioned only world building is slightly better than MT even tho the author created 2 new language to show you how well the world is built. The rest of the categories goes to MT + the whole message it present to us the reader. If u disagree i think u need to reread it again because i think u didn't understand anything about what the author is trying to deliver.

As for AOB it was only good at the begging and the world budling was great but the character beside the MC were horrible their background how they view themself and etc.. it was just horrible but i wont go further because u didn't read it, You can see for yourself.
Oct 29, 2023 6:53 AM
Sep 2021
I guess it depends on the person, some people just don't like some stuff, for example I dropped k-on because I thought it was boring but love similar anime like yuru yuri, so I don't think there is anything wrong with not liking this honestly.
Oct 29, 2023 8:40 AM
Jul 2022
It's an incredibly fun show that shouldn't be taken seriously. Enjoy it for what it is... a parody of the isekai and chuunibyou genre.
Oct 29, 2023 12:56 PM
Dec 2022
isekai is such a repetitive genre that every new isekai anime is objectively bad. so when u see a show that is making a mockery out of it, it passes for the humor but in truth its still bad. how can we make an isekai hit? just let the world operate around the MC who is trying to not be the MC.
Oct 30, 2023 9:05 AM
Jun 2021
maybe because people expected an isekai but in reality it's only an isekai for 1 episode, after that the whole isekai thing doesn't matter lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

186 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

765 by BlaiseAuto »»
Sep 4, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

149 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2022

193 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

165 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 2:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.