Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2021 8:59 AM

Jun 2011
Anime is riding high almost as it was in the 90's now but I feel like it's going to go down from here just as it had during the early to mid 00's. Anime will revert back to its uncool niche state and anyone who says they like it will be treated as an out of touch social pariah. Can it keep up its current nerd chic status?
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2021 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
No i don’t think it’ll become uncool. Tons of ppl watch anime rn, much more than the 90s.
Aug 15, 2021 9:15 AM

Jul 2016
Why do you want that? I want every woman to be familiar with anime characters so she can role play as them for me.
Aug 15, 2021 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
I won't mind if it becomes a niche again.

Because I am not a trend hopper. Been into anime for 2 decades now and won't ever go away.
Aug 15, 2021 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
Anime is only going to become more and more popular.
Aug 15, 2021 9:23 AM

May 2021
I don't think so. Animes are touching more mature themes like bullying, socio-political issues, finding one's true passion, beauty of life etc. so no, I don't think so

cxs blessings by MAL ss
Aug 15, 2021 9:30 AM

Jun 2011
eistod said:
Was anime ever cool to begin with..?

You have celebrities like Kim Kardashian posting Zero Two on her Instagram so that's a telling sign.
Aug 15, 2021 9:36 AM

Apr 2020
no why would it

animation has always been popular
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2021 9:39 AM

May 2016
Gen z likes it the most. It's over I'm sorry to say. It can only get worse from here like creating high guardian spice.
Aug 15, 2021 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
I don't see this happening anytime soon. The anime industry strives to appeal to broader audiences more than ever and also there has been a big demand for it in recent years. Thinking that it would die so suddenly is a stretch, I think. There's been this trend about people trying to be 'nerdier' whatever that means that has been prevelent I would say since the rise of the Marvel franchise.
Aug 15, 2021 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
Rainbowsalt007 said:
I don't think so. Animes are touching more mature themes like bullying, socio-political issues, finding one's true passion, beauty of life etc. so no, I don't think so

Socio-political what? I'm not sure anime is really all that mature to be honest. Most of the stuff coming out are branded PG-13, you know? There are some shows that try being a little more 'deep' even though most of them fail but they are not the norm nor will they really ever mangage to be, I think.
Aug 15, 2021 10:03 AM

May 2021
StenlyDesu said:
Rainbowsalt007 said:

Socio-political what? I'm not sure anime is really all that mature to be honest. Most of the stuff coming out are branded PG-13, you know? There are some shows that try being a little more 'deep' even though most of them fail but they are not the norm nor will they really ever mangage to be, I think.

Zankyou no terror is a good example for socio-political things.

cxs blessings by MAL ss
Aug 15, 2021 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Rainbowsalt007 said:
StenlyDesu said:

You are completely right on this one but the thing is that these anime are exceptions and that was my point. Animes like these aren't commonly produced and thus, generally, anime is not targeted to mature individuals.
Aug 15, 2021 10:13 AM

May 2021
StenlyDesu said:
Rainbowsalt007 said:

You are completely right on this one but the thing is that these anime are exceptions and that was my point. Animes like these aren't commonly produced and thus, generally, anime is not targeted to mature individuals.

Still. Animes are touching topics like bullying, suicide (Japan has high suicide rates), life

cxs blessings by MAL ss
Aug 15, 2021 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
Rainbowsalt007 said:
StenlyDesu said:

Still. Animes are touching topics like bullying, suicide (Japan has high suicide rates), life

Toy Story has touched upon those too. Is it mature?
Aug 15, 2021 10:21 AM

May 2021
StenlyDesu said:
Rainbowsalt007 said:

No it isn't. The reason will be the way it was presented. Animes present this topic in more mature and realistic way. Also, it seems like our opinions don't match much so, i won't reply after this msg ^__^

cxs blessings by MAL ss
Aug 15, 2021 10:24 AM

Nov 2018
Anime is currently riding a bubble of growth and popularity, and is one of the best alternative forms of entertainment in the west. It already supplies a majority of the world's animation demand, so it'll become the new main thing in pop culture and will level off its growth and hopefully maintain its popularity and appeal for decades to come.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Aug 15, 2021 10:26 AM

May 2020
Hope it doesn't,since now more and more people are becoming a part of it
Aug 15, 2021 10:29 AM

Sep 2014
I find anime to be really cool already and that's the most important to me. I don't care what the popular kids think is cooler.
Aug 15, 2021 10:31 AM

Feb 2020
i have no idea what uncool means. do u mean like popular? then i never knew anime was popular in 90s
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 15, 2021 10:33 AM
Jun 2019
not related but
You know, I used to hate anime as a kid, how childish I say to my young siblings watching cartoons (I treat them the same) but man, when I start watching it, dammm.

Still, during that time, anime isn't really a norm here, so for someone my age(highschool) were considered immature.

And look how far we've gone now, damm, 6 years ago me wont ever believe it
Aug 15, 2021 10:34 AM
Nov 2019
VGundam said:
I won't mind if it becomes a niche again.

Because I am not a trend hopper

Being a trend hopper doesn't really have much to do with wanting it to be popular (imo ofc) I feel like if anime becomes even more popular then it would lead to an increase in anime production probably not that much (since most of the rev comes from japanese viewers) but it's something. Laws of demand and supply and all that
Aug 15, 2021 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
Rainbowsalt007 said:
StenlyDesu said:

No it isn't. The reason will be the way it was presented. Animes present this topic in more mature and realistic way. Also, it seems like our opinions don't match much so, i won't reply after this msg ^__^

One last from me in that case. Read this if you have the spare time:

I'm sorry if I sounded rude but you didn't really try to explain on what and why such themes make X anime mature.
Aug 15, 2021 10:37 AM

Dec 2018
I feel like anime has reached the point where video games were a decade or two ago. The meteoric rise in popularity might slow down but I feel like a point of no return has been reached where anime will stay popular, at least for a decent amount of time.
Aug 15, 2021 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
not unless youtube dies, fake pretendors on youtube will keep the roll going with anime clickbait/reactions
Aug 15, 2021 10:44 AM
Nov 2020
Probably. The industry will eventually dwindle at some point, be it years or decades from now. Animation is one of the champions of digital entertainment and the current age of two-dimensional screens, but once technology evolves it must follow that entertainment will too.
Aug 15, 2021 10:44 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Boomer detected, anime still great n have bunch audience in early 2000 not to mention anime in peak era recently especially when a lof of anime officially aired on youtube even become top of trending for certain anime more than week like Tokyo revenger

Aug 15, 2021 10:54 AM

Jun 2011
ISeeLifePeople said:
Boomer detected, anime still great n have bunch audience in early 2000 not to mention anime in peak era recently especially when a lof of anime officially aired on youtube even become top of trending for certain anime more than week like Tokyo revenger

Negro please. Did you check my profile? I'm as Millennial as it gets. If you even so much as go to wikipedia, you will know that anime suffered a huge dip in popularity after the Toonami 90's wave. Do try to keep up.
Aug 15, 2021 10:57 AM

Apr 2018
The way they are releasing more and more isekais these days, it going to become uncool soon enough.

Aug 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Aug 2013
Who cares about what cool and what is not? If something became a garbage with time then it still will be cool for millions of people due their personal regress people and vice versa.
Aug 15, 2021 11:14 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Ahegyao said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

Negro please. Did you check my profile? I'm as Millennial as it gets. If you even so much as go to wikipedia, you will know that anime suffered a huge dip in popularity after the Toonami 90's wave. Do try to keep up.

As ur wish, ok negro lol
If u talk about US broadcast no wonder if ur statement like dis maybe this all about national policy itself but if look at from shounen view after dragon ball era there are plenty anime started from 2000 Naruto, Bleach, FMAB, Hitman Reborn, etc even hxh n one piece if included as late 1999 show

Aug 15, 2021 11:50 AM

Jun 2011
ISeeLifePeople said:
Ahegyao said:

As ur wish, ok negro lol
If u talk about US broadcast no wonder if ur statement like dis maybe this all about national policy itself but if look at from shounen view after dragon ball era there are plenty anime started from 2000 Naruto, Bleach, FMAB, Hitman Reborn, etc even hxh n one piece if included as late 1999 show

Last reply because reading your barely comprehensive posts hurts. Look, the world is more than just your own country and by and large anime didn't have the staying power as yours. It's not just the US we're talking about. The sooner you realize Indonesia =/= the world the less likely you come off as a fool.
Aug 15, 2021 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
Anime is not cool at all. Anime is shit
Aug 15, 2021 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
I don't think it was ever "cool" to be into anime, but it has definitely entered more mainstream circles. It's definitely less of a "Wow, you're into anime? That's so cool!" like the doomer meme, and more of a "Oh, hey, I've seen something like that before... Norobo? Nortbo?" sort of thing.

As a side note, I really don't think anybody, except for a few individual cases, gets outcasted for just being mildly interested in something niche. It's when that person starts parading it around more and more that people unfamiliar get annoyed and throw them out. It's all about others' tolerance, and not your enjoyment.
Aug 15, 2021 12:48 PM

Jun 2011
Strengthen said:

We are past that 2010's self ironic phase bro.

Bauman said:
I don't think it was ever "cool" to be into anime, but it has definitely entered more mainstream circles. It's definitely less of a "Wow, you're into anime? That's so cool!" like the doomer meme, and more of a "Oh, hey, I've seen something like that before... Norobo? Nortbo?" sort of thing.

But wouldn't you say the normalization implies that it's no longer weird which means it's cool? Video games went the same development.
Aug 15, 2021 12:53 PM

Aug 2018
Anime is cool in some parts of internet culture.. It also was cool in schools since like Dragon Ball Z times already.. Is it cool now in schools?.. No idea.. Among older people - older people don't really try anime at all..
Aug 15, 2021 12:59 PM
Jul 2017
I do not believe that anime is "cool" for general audience. People treat a bunch of most popular shows as accessories to appear to be "in the know" but once you try to discuss Shoujo Ramune with them, they get offended. Posers.
Aug 15, 2021 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
Ahegyao said:
Bauman said:

But wouldn't you say the normalization implies that it's no longer weird which means it's cool? Video games went the same development.

Hmm, I wouldn't say so. Something being cool implies that it's desirable to the majority, and I wouldn't say being an anime fan is exactly desirable lol. Also wouldn't really say playing video games is cool either, but all the same.
Aug 15, 2021 1:17 PM
Jul 2013
Anime will just become more popular overtime. Sadly, people overhype mediocre to garbage stuff so most animes out there would end up being lackluster. Still hoping that they'll keep making something mildly entertaining every once in a while instead of the usual 23940329402 isekais that are exactly the same or the same boring shounen formula.
Aug 15, 2021 1:22 PM

Aug 2019
probably not, at least where I live it’s not a exaggeration to say a majority of teens and young adults watch anime
Aug 15, 2021 1:37 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
hopefully not. It will be very sad if this is the case

Aug 15, 2021 1:39 PM

Jun 2021
It won't. Anime wasn't so popular, because many people couldn't even hear, that anime exist. Now we have more metods to watch it.

Softhenic03 said:
Hope it doesn't,since now more and more people are becoming a part of it

This is another reason.

Strengthen said:

If you don't like anime, why are you watching it?
Danielf6Aug 15, 2021 2:30 PM
Aug 15, 2021 2:08 PM

Aug 2011
The pandora's box is open so I don't think it'll ever close again. I see ppl having anime stickers on their cars everywhere I go
desu desu binches
Aug 15, 2021 2:11 PM
Jul 2021
I hope so, so anime would be great again
Aug 15, 2021 2:20 PM

Aug 2018
It'll never be like it was in 90s to mid 00s, even if popularity of anime decreases people will still be familiar with it
_______I like rocks__
Aug 15, 2021 2:27 PM

Jul 2016
We just need to push for more boku no pico awareness and get anime 'cancelled' in the mainstream. Then we can once again enjoy it in the shadows.
Aug 15, 2021 2:35 PM

Jul 2019
No. In fact, it is becoming cooler. Let's see if Goku agrees with me:

I mean, if Netflix is on board with anime, everyone is.
Aug 15, 2021 2:41 PM

Oct 2017
Like most MAL threads I can just ask based on what? The world of the late 2000's or the other decades you are talking about like the 90s were entirely different from now.
Aug 15, 2021 2:56 PM

Dec 2019
I'm just waiting for all the hype to die down. I've been watching this stuff for pretty much my whole life, and since a large majority of people I grew up with strayed away from it, it was kind of like this hidden gem I could keep to myself and a small number of other people. Things were much calmer back then, especially because there were no whining woke twitter monkeys that complained about everything and attacked members of the community for retarded reasons.
Aug 15, 2021 3:04 PM

Oct 2018
what do you mean by 'uncool'? if it means it becoming popular? more revenue for japan, i guess.

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think shoujo/josei romance are usually better than shounen/seinen romance ?

ZXEAN - 52 minutes ago

9 by SimplyBrazen »»
23 seconds ago

» Sub-genre Of Anime That Could Be Good

Quadruple_Oi - Sep 18

45 by Hikool101 »»
3 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

636 by W3TFT »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime with least plotholes

JoeChip - Yesterday

19 by SgtBateMan »»
5 minutes ago

» Can I have the losing girl?

BerriesSan - Yesterday

12 by W3TFT »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.