Forum Settings
Forums

Splitting Pokemon Special into separate entries

New
May 15, 2016 11:11 PM

Jun 2014
http://myanimelist.net/manga/928/Pok%C3%A9mon_Special

Although the official title remains Pocket Monsters Special for the entire run of the series until X & Y, they are officially divided by the creators themselves, similar to how JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is. Which is a series that was published in the same manner without breaks in chapter or volume counts until much later in the series, but when republished individual parts were retitled.

Under the ポケSPの楽しみ方 section of the official website, it displays the separation of the parts.

Chapter and volume counts are shown in detail here.

For example it would be changed to:

Pokemon Special Chapter 1: Aka Midori Ao-hen (ケットモンスターSPECIAL 第1章 赤・緑・青編)
3 volumes, 40 chapters

Pokemon Special Chapter 2: Yellow-hen (ケットモンスターSPECIAL 第2章 イエロー編)
4 volumes, 50 chapters

etc.

Dividing them is much more logical, as there have been times that publication of different parts have interlapped with one another, making it so the dates are more accurate.
May 16, 2016 1:51 AM

Nov 2008
Seconding this. Also while we're at this can we split Red and Green from Origins from the Red and Green from Special? Despite both duos being based in the game dudes they're different people, and seeing these two get Origins pics along everyone else having Special artwork looks weird. It's not like the database has like ten different Hitlers and other similar cases.
Jun 21, 2016 8:48 AM

Dec 2015
I second this. Especially since the series has sometimes different parts published at the same time.

It would also facilitate users life: most have only read some periods. (+ some countries only edited a few ones separately)
Jun 21, 2016 7:57 PM
Mar 2011
I don't see the point of splitting a series up into parts when it's clearly meant as one continuous series with 1 volume count. at least not until gen 6 where i guess things change quite a bit.
Jun 22, 2016 8:12 AM

Jul 2014
I second this as well. Would be much more convenient to have it like that, for reasons the OP stated.
Jun 22, 2016 9:44 AM

Dec 2015
Goobatron said:
I don't see the point of splitting a series up into parts when it's clearly meant as one continuous series with 1 volume count. at least not until gen 6 where i guess things change quite a bit.

The publications of the different parts are not always continuous. And only some parts are meant as sequels to others (like the "Yellow" part who is a direct sequel of the "Red, Blue, Green" part)

The Jojo's argument above makes also sense, I presume.
Jul 19, 2016 5:04 PM

Aug 2012
so, is this at least being considerated by the admins? the series is clearly meant to be splitted.
Jul 20, 2016 10:25 AM
Mar 2011
JoltJolteon said:
the series is clearly meant to be splitted.

What's so clear about it? I can't find any source that considers it separate series.
Jul 21, 2016 8:03 AM

Jun 2014
Goobatron said:
JoltJolteon said:
the series is clearly meant to be splitted.

What's so clear about it? I can't find any source that considers it separate series.

It shows the divisions with their titles on the corocoro official website.

At the very least there should be less inconsistencies in the DB, so no loopholes like JoJo not being done in the same way.
Sep 17, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2016
yes please.

Sep 18, 2016 1:44 PM
Jan 2016
I second this. One thing is also that it simplifies the publishing status of the long metaseries.
Sep 21, 2016 2:57 AM

Apr 2009
Shogakukan Asia's official english release actually had a similar idea where they had an omnibus release for the RS arc by itself. As in, it's titled as Pokemon Adventures: Ruby & Sapphire vol 1 instead of continuing the number from the previous arc's volumes. I thought that was pretty neat so I guess it'll be nice to see that here as well. Speaking of which, the Japanese release of ORAS is also on its own like XY. And since XY gets its own entry, so should ORAS.
NilviusSep 21, 2016 11:02 PM
Sep 29, 2016 11:43 PM

Dec 2015
Maybe someone should try to submit separate entries. Then a regulator will notice this.

@juandmarco The submission formularies are well hidden. You will find their URLs here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=515949&show=0#msg18236805
Rei_IIIMar 8, 2017 2:10 AM
Sep 30, 2016 1:50 AM

Jul 2016
I second this.
Jan 13, 2017 4:22 PM

Nov 2013
I second this!
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 7, 2017 10:40 AM
Apr 2014
I second this.
Either way, why isn't there a page for the Sun & Moon chapter yet?

Edit: By the way, remake chapters should probably have their own pages too, due to the gaps between these chapters and the original games' chapters.

Edit 2: While it seems to be the consensus that the series should be split by chapters, it wasn't implemented.

Rei366 said:
Maybe someone should try to submit separate entries. Then a regulator will notice this.

How does one even submit manga entries? I assume it's an ability exclusive to MAL Supporters.
Anyway, XY and ORAS chapters already have separate entries. Also, for some reason ORAS chapter's entry uses "ポケットモンスター" in Katakana instead of "Pocket Monsters" in the entry's title.

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Seconding this. Also while we're at this can we split Red and Green from Origins from the Red and Green from Special? Despite both duos being based in the game dudes they're different people, and seeing these two get Origins pics along everyone else having Special artwork looks weird. It's not like the database has like ten different Hitlers and other similar cases.

In that case, Ethan, Silver, Hilbert and Calem from Pokémon Generations and Silver from The Legend of Thunder should all get separate pages from their Adventures/Special counterparts (I think Ethan, Hilbert and Calem should anyway even if only due to the different names).

Edit 3: now there are two entries for the ORAS chapter. I don’t know when that happened.
juandmarcoMar 8, 2017 8:16 AM
Mar 8, 2017 8:50 AM
Apr 2014
(Making a new post because the previous one is already pretty big)
Rei366 said:
@juandmarco The submission formularies are well hidden. You will find their URLs here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=515949&show=0#msg18236805

Thanks. For now I submitted Sun & Moon chapter (under the title "Pocket Monsters Special Sun & Moon"). If/when it gets approved, I'll submit more. It was approved before I posted this. xD

Also, next time you mention someone, please do it in a new post instead of editing an old one. I updated the thread multiple times thinking your post didn't show up before realizing you had just edited one you already posted. Use the quote option for that.

Edit: Is there a way to rename entries? Because the picture I tried to add as a cover for Yellow chapter was too big and, forgetting that would create a repeated entry, after re-saving the image in smaller size, I re-submitted the entry with that smaller image. And, as I said before, there are two pages for ORAS chapter, so we could reuse one as an entry for another chapter instead.

Edit 2: Also, how do you add authors? I couldn't find any way. Nevermind, I found out. I was just being stupid. I still need to find out how to rename entries, however.
juandmarcoMar 8, 2017 9:55 AM
Mar 8, 2017 10:18 AM

Dec 2015
Don't worry, the clone shall be rejected. ORAS is only a case of forgetfulness or lack of time of the database moderators
You could have waited for the approval then edit the picture choice.

Exceptionally, I post my answer below yours at your request. But I usually don't do that. If a discussion came to be, it would prevent a thread to have a long series of two people only writing between them and to expand over several pages. It also prevents me to multiply my messages number over nothing.
Mar 8, 2017 10:49 AM
Apr 2014
Rei366 said:
Don't worry, the clone shall be rejected. ORAS is only a case of forgetfulness or lack of time of the database moderators
You could have waited for the approval then edit the picture choice.

Exceptionally, I post my answer below yours at your request. But I usually don't do that. If a discussion came to be, it would prevent a thread to have a long series of two people only writing between them and to expand over several pages. It also prevents me to multiply my messages number over nothing.

Well, the clone was approved, so now I'm trying to get it renamed instead of deleted, so it can be GSC chapter's entry instead. I'm waiting for the entry to be renamed before changing information, but maybe I can do it already (though it'll probably confuse people).

Edit: I changed my mind and decided to create a separate page for GSC.

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that in my previous edit, but I already finished creating the pages for the Adventures chapters. I ended up creating a duplicate page for BW chapter too. xD
juandmarcoMar 8, 2017 4:34 PM
Mar 14, 2017 7:26 AM
Apr 2014
Question: Since this gets an entry of its own, would it make sense for the Diamond, Pearl & Platinum chapter to get a separate entry from the Diamond & Pearl and Platinum chapters? Platinum was already out when the D&P chapter got to the US, so they merged it with Platinum to make the DP&Pt chapter.

Also, as I said, I already created separate entries for all chapters, but the characters need to be reorganized and I'd really appreciate some help for that.
juandmarcoMar 14, 2017 7:42 AM
Mar 17, 2017 7:29 AM

Dec 2015
I don't understand why your Yellow page isn't already approved. I tried out a submission this week, and it was accepted in less than five days.

@juandmarco You can check easily if it is approved by trying to add it to your own list. An error message will then appear.
Rei_IIIMar 17, 2017 9:15 AM
Mar 17, 2017 9:14 AM
Apr 2014
Rei366 said:
I don't understand why your Yellow page isn't already approved. I tried out a submission this week, and it was accepted in less than five days.

Wait, the page isn't approved yet? Is that the reason why it doesn't appear in searches?

Anyway, none of the duplicate entries have been deleted as of yet, including the ORAS one.

I tried getting them deleted here but it doesn't seem the creator of the thread answers it anymore. Maybe I should try PMing them instead?
Mar 25, 2017 10:40 AM

Mar 2017
Does anyone know if this request has even been considered? While I agree this manga has a similar structure like Jojo, the volumes of each arc could get jumbled up as the author ends and begins a new arc in the same volume of the manga.

Aside from this request, the character database needs a serious update with the Sun and Moon arc. I want to add your boy Guzma to my favorites ASAP and it doesn't look like the anime hasn't reached that part of story yet.
Mar 27, 2017 4:15 AM

Aug 2012
John_2001 said:
While I agree this manga has a similar structure like Jojo, the volumes of each arc could get jumbled up as the author ends and begins a new arc in the same volume of the manga.

That's the same for JoJo's. Every part from (I think) 1 to 5 ends in the same volume as the next one begins (for example, Diamond is Unbreakable ends and Vento Aureo begins at vol 47), so it shouldn't be a problem.
Mar 29, 2017 11:16 PM
Mar 2011
How does that make it not a problem?
Aug 18, 2017 2:05 PM
Apr 2014
Nezperdian said:
And still nothing. It's funny to see that the entry Pocket Monsters Special (928) still shows 2 sequel "Pocket Monsters Special Yellow"

There are also two ORAS entries. One is harder to find because it's not connected to any other entries or characters (at least that was the case, last I knew).
And none of them have been approved either.
Aug 30, 2017 3:16 AM

Mar 2010
Goobatron said:

If it is not a problem in case of Jojo, it shouldn't be a problem in this case either.

If it is a problem in case of Jojo, why has it been divided into parts anyway?

I'd say the problem here is not as much "How should this manga be divided?" but "Why should two manga franchises be treated differently if they are in a very similar situation?".
Aug 30, 2017 9:43 AM
Mar 2011
CyndNinja said:
Goobatron said:

If it is not a problem in case of Jojo, it shouldn't be a problem in this case either.

I'd say the problem here is not as much "How should this manga be divided?" but "Why should two manga franchises be treated differently if they are in a very similar situation?".

Jojo getting special treatment doesn't mean everything else should. It still makes more sense to count it as 1 manga since that's what japan does.
Aug 30, 2017 10:43 AM
Apr 2014
Goobatron said:
CyndNinja said:

Jojo getting special treatment doesn't mean everything else should. It still makes more sense to count it as 1 manga since that's what japan does.

Except Sun & Moon chapter, Black 2 & White 2 chapter and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire chapter are all running concurrently. It does NOT make sense to count them as one manga.
Aug 30, 2017 12:10 PM
Mar 2011
juandmarco said:
Except Sun & Moon chapter, Black 2 & White 2 chapter and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire chapter are all running concurrently. It does NOT make sense to count them as one manga.

I dunno, in my opinion it doesn't matter what weird release system they use, if it's all getting collected together as 1 manga then it makes more sense for it to be 1 manga.
Aug 30, 2017 12:13 PM
Apr 2014
Goobatron said:
juandmarco said:

I dunno, in my opinion it doesn't matter what weird release system they use, if it's all getting collected together as 1 manga then it makes more sense for it to be 1 manga.

That was the same case with the first 5 parts of JoJo.
Aug 31, 2017 3:10 AM
Mar 2011
juandmarco said:

But again, Jojo getting special treatment doesn't mean everything else should.
Aug 31, 2017 7:19 AM
Apr 2014
Goobatron said:
juandmarco said:

But again, Jojo getting special treatment doesn't mean everything else should.

I still believe Pokémon Adventures deserves the same treatment. It's actually in much more need of that treatment than JoJo.
Dec 10, 2017 9:31 AM

Mar 2010
Goobatron said:

Then Jojo shouldn't get any special treatment either. It's not even mentioned as exception in guidelines like Hellsing once was in Anime DB guidelines.

If Jojo wouldn't be divided there would be no discussion. But if we make a special case it's only natural to expect all similar cases to be treated the same. And here we have the exact same problem.

===

But aside from that... While we can argue whether or not RGB-B2W2 should be separate entries, XY, ORAS and SM are being released simultaneously and numbered from 1 in Japan and outside of it. On top of that XY is in that case a finished series.
I think everyone can agree that these should be separate entries. XY is added and approved already. ORAS seems to be submitted and not yet approved. SM was submitted by juandmarco and is waiting for approval since almost a year and we have no idea whether mods are discussing it or just forgot or had no time to approve it.

It would be cool if some DB mod replied. Is there any way of getting them here?
Dec 10, 2017 1:11 PM
Mar 2011
CyndNinja said:
Then Jojo shouldn't get any special treatment either. If Jojo wouldn't be divided there would be no discussion. But if we make a special case it's only natural to expect all similar cases to be treated the same. And here we have the exact same problem.
Sounds like it's Jojo you should be complaining about, not PokeSpe. Jojo being messed up doesn't means other things needs to be similarly messed up.

CyndNinja said:
XY, ORAS and SM are being released simultaneously and numbered from 1 in Japan and outside of it.
Correct me if i'm wrong on this one but aren't those series getting released in special temporary mini volumes because BW2 is still ongoing and the plan is to have it all be 1 series in the end?
Feb 25, 2018 5:24 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thanks for waiting patiently for a response from the moderators. I'm sorry it took so long for this reply.

Let me start off by saying: Wow, is this entry ever messy.

So this is what seems to have happened:
  • Part way though Chapter 11, the magazine stops serializing. Chapter 11 is suspended.
  • Chapter 12 starts in a new magazine while the author/publisher wait to resume Chapter 11.
  • Since Chapter 11 is incomplete, they compile Chapter 12 into mini-volumes with the arc title.
  • Chapter 13 then serializes the same way, and is also compiled into mini-volumes.
  • Recently, Chapter 11 has restarted serialization, and a new volume was released (Volume 53).
  • Volume 54 is expected to be the last volume of Chapter 11, which should be published in 6-8 more chapters.
  • After Volume 54 is published, Chapter 12 & 13 will be republished as regular numbered volumes of Pocket Monsters Special (i.e. Volume 55+).

So this is a completely different case than JoJo. JoJo was broken up into separate parts with clearly distinct logos following Part 5, and then Parts 1-5 were republished with renumbered volumes beginning at "Volume 1" for each part. Here, the author fully intends to includes Chapter 12 & 13 back into the regular series, in chronological volume order. The mini-volumes will be published under the regular series logo as soon as Chapter 11 finishes.

For this reason, it doesn't make sense to break up the arcs into separate entries; the author clearly intends for them to remain as one series. The XY entry will also be removed from our database, as it was approved mistakenly.

You can see the author's explanation here: http://corocoro.tv/pokesp/story/0904/kokuchi.html

Hopefully this entry will be fixed and back to publishing Chapter 14 as soon as possible.
Feb 25, 2018 4:43 PM
Apr 2014
@Kineta alright then, I guess.
I'll try working on that entry, then.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7845 by Kwanthemaster »»
Yesterday, 9:28 AM

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

163 by -Sabre- »»
Yesterday, 2:46 AM

» I think the rules need an update, gatekeeping is dumb

KingNoahTheThird - Sep 11

3 by EcchiOtakuGal »»
Sep 13, 10:20 PM

» add manhwa Dear. Door

nissin - Jul 8, 2022

5 by IridescentJaune »»
Sep 13, 12:30 AM

» Addition request for light novel Serious Rage

H1lbert_Jun - Sep 8

0 by H1lbert_Jun »»
Sep 8, 6:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.