Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2016 2:13 PM

Oct 2012
So basically a new japanese maid cafe opened up in my city (toronto), and me and @lonewolf were curious so we decided to check it out. It was actually legit and pretty good, and loved it. Food and service were 10/10. The maids were actually japanese and the performances were legit. One of them was even an idol back in japan.

This was the page:https://mobile.facebook.com/angelcafetoronto/?tsid=0.7915891948225027&source=typeahead

http://globalnews.ca/video/2670098/uncle-testu-cafe/

Would u guys go to one? Discuss.

Star_BoyApr 30, 2016 5:22 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 10, 2016 2:19 PM

Jan 2016
I want to go to one..... If I ever go to Akihabara, I'll go to one.
Apr 10, 2016 2:21 PM

Oct 2015
I would go to one just to check it out but there's none around my area, I didn't even know that they existed outside Japan.
Apr 10, 2016 2:22 PM

Nov 2008
Ball_is_Life said:
So basically a new japanese maid cafe opened up in my city (toronto), and me and @lonewolf were curious so we decided to check it out. It was actually legit and pretty good, and loved it. Food and service were 10/10. The maids were actually japanese and the performances were legit. One of them was even an idol back in japan.

Would u guys go to one? Discuss.

Finally a maid cafe in NA that does things right.

Apr 10, 2016 2:23 PM

Oct 2012
Wish I still played Pokémon, was going to Tonroto every summer. Would have took the opportunity to visit the Maid Cafe aswell. Were the maids talking is Japanese aswell for authanticity ?
Apr 10, 2016 2:30 PM

Oct 2012
MadnessKreep said:
Wish I still played Pokémon, was going to Tonroto every summer. Would have took the opportunity to visit the Maid Cafe aswell. Were the maids talking is Japanese aswell for authanticity ?

Uncle tetsu is a japanese cheesecake company that gained a large following here in downtown toronto. The main set of maids are native japanese but they hired some maids that werent japanese from toronto.
Apr 10, 2016 2:34 PM

Nov 2015
Anything they try to do outside of Japan is going to be sooo fucking mediocre simply because of the rules and regulations outside of Japan on that kind of entertainment.

Do you really want to see a bunch of husky white chicks dressed up like maids? It's going to suck. I'd put money on it sucking. 95% of my shit, 5% benefit of the doubt.

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Apr 10, 2016 2:35 PM

Aug 2009
lol you just had to mention me eh?

It honestly wasn't that bad or creepy/weird.

Most of the staff could speak perfect English, it was just some of the maids that came directly from Japan that didn't understand so well, it was fun trying to talk to them in broken Japanese though. The food was average. The performance was interesting. I took a short video, they don't dance around too much in this one, but I actually recognized the song. Not sure if I wanna go again, but it was a unique experience at least .

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 10, 2016 2:38 PM

Sep 2015
I might as well go to one. I see them portrayed in anime all the time so I must be good.

The only question I have is who at the resturant has to clean up all of the messes. Do they have janitors or actual maids? If I drop my japanese taco on the ground how will Onee-sama clean it up?

Rarity is Best Pony!
Apr 10, 2016 2:46 PM

Sep 2014
I want to go to one, but I'm not at all attracted to Japanese girls or Asian Girls. If a maid cafe were to open up in my town I'd hope the maids weren't all Japanese. But heck, if they're cute, why not.
Apr 10, 2016 2:53 PM

May 2015
I would want to go to one, but I wouldn't like all the attention lavished on me by the maids. It would embarrass me.
Apr 10, 2016 2:55 PM

Sep 2015
Elegade said:
I want to go to one, but I'm not at all attracted to Japanese girls or Asian Girls. If a maid cafe were to open up in my town I'd hope the maids weren't all Japanese. But heck, if they're cute, why not.

same. i'd rather see some real french maids.though it must be kinda akward sitting around with neckbeards, eating kawaii food and listen to girls perform bad j-pop songs. had the chance in tokyo but wasn't brave enought....

Apr 10, 2016 2:59 PM

Oct 2012
LoneWolf said:

Most of the staff could speak perfect English, it was just some of the maids that came directly from Japan that didn't understand so well, it was fun trying to talk to them in broken Japanese though. The food was average. The performance was interesting. I took a short video, they don't dance around too much in this one, but I actually recognized the song. Not sure if I wanna go again, but it was a unique experience at least .

I thought you were planning to become a regular customer. Come again this tuesday man.
Apr 10, 2016 3:20 PM
Feb 2014
Were they actually Japanese?

N-not bad Canada.
Apr 10, 2016 3:27 PM

Oct 2012
Nico- said:

N-not bad Canada.

Yup

Lonewolf posted a video when we went last week.

LoneWolf said:

Apr 10, 2016 3:30 PM
Feb 2014
Ball_is_Life said:
Nico- said:

N-not bad Canada.

Yup

Lonewolf posted a video when we went last week.

LoneWolf said:

Dayummm

We have a maid cafe here in Seattle, I haven't been but I'm too convinced it will disappoint me. Maybe I should invite my crew to go with me some day before we graduate. College ain't over yet for them.
Apr 10, 2016 3:45 PM

Oct 2012
Ball_is_Life said:
MadnessKreep said:

Uncle tetsu is a japanese cheesecake company that gained a large following here in downtown toronto. The main set of maids are native japanese but they hired some maids that werent japanese from toronto.

Thanks for the info :) Wow now I wish I could go there this summer . .
Apr 10, 2016 3:54 PM
Feb 2014
Lothloran said:
Anything they try to do outside of Japan is going to be sooo fucking mediocre simply because of the rules and regulations outside of Japan on that kind of entertainment.

Do you really want to see a bunch of husky white chicks dressed up like maids? It's going to suck. I'd put money on it sucking. 95% of my shit, 5% benefit of the doubt.

There used to be a maid cafe in Detroit that had all fat black people as the waitresses and not an ounce of Japanese culture other than just the food. It's closed now though.
Apr 10, 2016 3:57 PM
Jan 2015
Elegade said:

Having any kind of girls other than Asian girls would look weird was stated before.
Apr 10, 2016 4:20 PM

Dec 2015
I feel uncomfortable when a waiter pours my wine for me. I don't like to be served so I would probably hate a maid cafe.
Apr 10, 2016 4:26 PM

Sep 2014
NsSfw0qs said:
Elegade said:

Having any kind of girls other than Asian girls would look weird was stated before.

No, as stated by @Nigami_Shin, French maids were around in the 19th century. Did they look weird? Probably, but just look up French Maids on Google and Imagine them serving you, minus the fact the Kawaii and J-pop crap.
Apr 10, 2016 4:48 PM

Oct 2012
LoneWolf said:

Yo, you should apply for work there over the summer. They're hiring kitchen staff.

Seems like a pretty chill environment to work at.
Apr 10, 2016 4:54 PM

Dec 2014
Well, I guess I wouldn't mind going. It sounds pretty fun, and I've heard the food in most of them is really good.
Apr 10, 2016 8:19 PM

Aug 2014
Sounds super neat. I'd probably only go as far as to peek inside of one to get a quick look. Dunno, I admit to being the guy that's pretty likely to sweat bullets in a place like that.
Apr 10, 2016 8:26 PM

Dec 2015
I'm up for it, seems like it would be fun.
"Move as swiftly as the wind"
"Stay as silent as the forest"
"Strike as fierce as the fire"
"Undefeated like the mountain"
Apr 10, 2016 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
I've been to one w/friends once. It was a fun experience.
Apr 10, 2016 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
I've eaten at one at a weaboo convention. The maids were pretty cute and not fat/greasy weebs. The food was ridiculously overpriced though. So I wouldn't go there again
Apr 10, 2016 10:42 PM

Dec 2015
I would try it once just to know what's it like. I've heard maid cafes can be pretty weird or even disturbing though. If I can get my parents to Japan with me I'll take them to one without telling them what exactly a maid cafe is and laugh at their faces while the maids do their thing. Especially my stepfather isn't used to weird stuff so that would be hilarious.
Apr 10, 2016 10:47 PM

Aug 2015
Yeah, I'd definitely try one out if I got the chance.
Apr 10, 2016 10:53 PM

Sep 2014
I would rather be the maid in the cafe but I guess I would go to one too if the opportunity presented itself.
Apr 11, 2016 3:59 AM
May 2009
Had the opportunity, but at the same time was not interested in the activity whilst I was in Japan.
Apr 11, 2016 10:43 AM

Oct 2012
holysauron said:
I would try it once just to know what's it like. I've heard maid cafes can be pretty weird or even disturbing though. If I can get my parents to Japan with me I'll take them to one without telling them what exactly a maid cafe is and laugh at their faces while the maids do their thing. Especially my stepfather isn't used to weird stuff so that would be hilarious.

How would they be disturbing though?
Apr 11, 2016 10:52 AM

Feb 2015
Does being called onii chan or ouji sama counts as additional favour ? XD
Apr 11, 2016 7:40 PM

Oct 2012
Exowave said:
Does being called onii chan or ouji sama counts as additional favour ? XD

Yeah i'm pretty sure you can ask them to call you onii-chan, i've seen guys request it.
Apr 11, 2016 10:26 PM

Dec 2015
I went to the Maid Cafe in Akihabara next to the big SEGA building. it was fun and cheesy with the girls dancing and singing and a table of drunk salarymen singing along doing all the hand gestures along with the girls.

Certainly something to do, though I kind of wish I was about as drunk as the Salarymen.

I had a cake with a drawing of a cat next to it.
Apr 11, 2016 10:30 PM

Oct 2012
siccoyote said:
I went to the Maid Cafe in Akihabara next to the big SEGA building. it was fun and cheesy with the girls dancing and singing and a table of drunk salarymen singing along doing all the hand gestures along with the girls.

Certainly something to do, though I kind of wish I was about as drunk as the Salarymen.

I had a cake with a drawing of a cat next to it.

Well, do you happen to have any pictures?
Apr 11, 2016 10:39 PM

Dec 2015
you had to pay extra to take pictures

if you google maidreamin, that's the one I went to

http://wowsabi.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/maidreamin9.jpg

there's a pic, not by me
Apr 11, 2016 10:41 PM

Oct 2012
siccoyote said:
you had to pay extra to take pictures

if you google maidreamin, that's the one I went to

http://wowsabi.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/maidreamin9.jpg

there's a pic, not by me

looks good.

I'm sure you enjoyed it.
Apr 11, 2016 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
Cor blimey! Toronto is only.. *looks it up on Google* 112.9 km aways! Too far for me, better to wait for my planned* trip to Japan with my friend to experience that thing.

*In the planning stages for 2? years. Awaiting financial liquidity to get it from "planned" to holy s**t we're in Japan!

Cool thing for them Torontoians! Hope they achieve a profit from their endeavor. Sucks that it's so far away :(

Edit: grandma

Edit 2: never posting again in m life, just look at that post counter!!!
I don't even
Apr 11, 2016 11:03 PM

Dec 2015
Ball_is_Life said:
holysauron said:

How would they be disturbing though?

I dunno, but I heard there are a lot of people who find it kinda uneasy to be there because of reasons. I haven't really heard the reasons myself.
Apr 12, 2016 11:37 PM

Oct 2012
Me and @lonewolf apparently went again today,

we're on the path to becoming regulars.....

YES, WE HAVE COME OVER TO THE DARK SIDE
Apr 13, 2016 5:32 AM

Aug 2014
I really want to go to one, lol. It sounds weird enough to be real fun. I'm in.
Apr 13, 2016 8:52 AM
May 2009
Might venture into one if I was with someone else.

I know they are designed for individual patrons as well. But its just not the type of place I would go in alone.
Apr 13, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2014
I have never been to a maid cafe but I want to visit one some day to see what it is like. I will be in Toronto next month for work maybe I'll check it out if I have time. It would be hard trying to convince my co workers to join me though. I really don't want to go there alone for some reason.
Apr 13, 2016 4:28 PM

Oct 2012
gonna bring pencil and paper to draw the maids in chibi anime kawaii form next time i go. I saw people doing that and giving the drawings to them.
Apr 13, 2016 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
I'd be pretty weirded out if I went by myself. I would need to take someone with me.
Apr 13, 2016 4:48 PM

Jan 2008
sooooo do you think i would make a cute maid chan desu~

Apr 30, 2016 5:22 AM

Oct 2012
Went twice this week. They were also featured on the news yesterday morning ..

http://globalnews.ca/video/2670098/uncle-testu-cafe/
Apr 30, 2016 5:24 AM

Nov 2012
I've been to one in Akihabara in Japan. It was pretty neat, if you can speak japanese the maids like to have conversations with you, they ask you what anime you like and you talk about it for a while. Then they go do a kind of performance for you on stage and you have to swing this light saber thingy to support them. Awkward as fuck but a lot of fun.

Apr 30, 2016 6:40 AM

Oct 2012
FlatEight said:
I'd be pretty weirded out if I went by myself. I would need to take someone with me.

Ive been there alone plenty of times, lol...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» why is r/anime such a bad subreddit! ( 1 2 )

necro_dancer - Oct 11, 2018

86 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
19 minutes ago

» The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread

DigiCat - May 22

39 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Do you like to judge people?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by Dachitosoru »»
1 hour ago

» If you could time travel and teleport where and when would you go? ( 1 2 )

Paladin23 - Jan 25

68 by Kiryotsu »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Let's appreciate MAL

Shizuna - Yesterday

17 by Fluffygreygrass »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.