Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 17, 2015 1:46 AM

Oct 2013
In reply to this thread.http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1459555 if this was the case, why would it be so hard to believe? Do you guys actually believe that people with similar taste to yours or to your belief know a good anime from a bad anime will like everything that you like? Or vice versa?

For eg. ABe, Yoshitoshi, http://myanimelist.net/people/1991/Yoshitoshi_ABe the creater of haibane renmai and serial experimental Lain is a big snk fan. He tweeted in August how much he enjoyed reading snk volume 17 after its release.

To the serial lain fans "which ironically is consist of mostly elitist" who don't like snk, do you lose some respect from him, just because of that? Hopefully not. So I don't see why people would think it would be the end of the world if Miyazaki actually said that he liked sao.

The world isn't as one dimensional as you think guys.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 17, 2015 1:49 AM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:

The world isn't as one dimensional as you think guys.

Yup.

Internet western anime community is pretty close minded and critical for the sake of being critical.
Dec 17, 2015 1:51 AM

Jan 2009
I gave Lain 9/10, but now I have to change it to 1/10
Thanks a lot OP...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dec 17, 2015 1:52 AM

Sep 2015
I'll just sit here and laugh at all the close-minded fucks who would lose respect for someone based on what they do and don't enjoy. They can all have fun with their petty lives.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 17, 2015 1:52 AM

Dec 2012
There's an important thing called context. SAO is the embodiment of otaku culture and Miyazaki would have to be blind deaf and dumb to say he likes the show despite his obvious stance against said group.
Dec 17, 2015 1:53 AM

Mar 2014
Why would it be so hard to believe?
Because anime was a mistake
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 17, 2015 1:57 AM
Mar 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
There's an important thing called context. SAO is the embodiment of otaku culture and Miyazaki would have to be blind deaf and dumb to say he likes the show despite his obvious stance against said group.

But what if he likes it despite his stance against that group because he can separate both. So, therefore it would be so hard to believe that he likes SAO.
Dec 17, 2015 1:58 AM

Jun 2015
> speaks about the world not being "one dimensional"
> tags people for liking x anime
Dec 17, 2015 1:59 AM

Sep 2014
Doesn't matter what kind of show the author loves. i'll judge them based on their work, even if he were to be fan of my favorite show, I'll hate him if he keep creating bad show.
[i][b]I'am the Mayor of under development residential called MAL Backstreet Residential.
Now what are you waiting for?! Come join us at MAL Backstreet Residential!!
[/i][/b]
Dec 17, 2015 2:01 AM

Dec 2012
MahadoKusanagi said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

But what if he likes it despite his stance against that group because he can separate both. So, therefore it would be so hard to believe that he likes SAO.
I would not be able to take him seriously with SAO in his favorites then.
Dec 17, 2015 2:02 AM

Mar 2013
I lost respect for ABe Yoshitoshi when I couldn't even watch Lain, Haibane and Nien are still good though. Still don't compare AoT to SAO, there's jumping one too many sharks in the world building and then there's making the main character overpowered because actual gamering nerds didn't buy the game and giving him all the girls because you only played a video game for a day and don't know how romance works but you decided to rip off .hack and have them get married anyways. I still think most people who like objectively "good" things tend to like other good things minus a few they just can't get over (like I said, Lain is just too weird but his other stuff is good and I also really enjoyed Wolf's Rain).
Dec 17, 2015 2:04 AM
Mar 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
MahadoKusanagi said:

Why? Because you dont like it? What you consider to be crap, maybe he considers it to be good.
Dec 17, 2015 2:05 AM

Mar 2013
MahadoKusanagi said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Why? Because you dont like it? What you consider to be crap, maybe he considers it to be good.
If SAO is good, then what the hell was he thinking with Princess Mononoke?
Dec 17, 2015 2:09 AM
Mar 2008
Ptrico94 said:
MahadoKusanagi said:

If SAO is good, then what the hell was he thinking with Princess Mononoke?

If SAO is good by his standards.
But it doesnt matter. The way he works and does, doesnt mean he cant like SAO or something brainless for that matter. He can still make something like Mononoke Hime but still like SAO for others reasons which are not the same ones he made Mononoke Hime.
Dec 17, 2015 2:11 AM

Jan 2015
Who gives a shit about what other people think?

Lain is one of my favorite anime, but I don't care that it's creator has "sub par" tastes. I don't have anything against SNK, anyway.

I also love NGE, but Anno is an asshole, so what are ya gonna do.

The one thing I don't get is your deal with elitists, Keragamming. What, did elitists kill your family?
Status_EffectDec 17, 2015 2:22 AM
Dec 17, 2015 2:16 AM

Dec 2012
MahadoKusanagi said:

His principles and views on the topic would be hypocritical and make no sense. He can't condemn otaku tailored anime while enjoying it.
Dec 17, 2015 2:19 AM

Jan 2015
tsudecimo said:
Internet western anime community is pretty close minded and critical for the sake of being critical.

But criticism = good.

Much better than being complacent with all forms of media.
Dec 17, 2015 2:23 AM
Mar 2014
Why would you make a new thread to reply to a thread, rather than replying to the thread itself? Said thread isn't locked or anything.
Dec 17, 2015 2:24 AM
Mar 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
MahadoKusanagi said:

His principles and views on the topic would be hypocritical and make no sense. He can't condemn otaku tailored anime while enjoying it.

Does he criticize Anime of that sort or does he only criticize the group being that Fanbase? Because as far as i see it, he dislikes Otaku (specifically what he calls "Gun Otaku") but doesnt seem that the same goes for the anime itself
Dec 17, 2015 2:28 AM

Dec 2012
MahadoKusanagi said:
Does he criticize Anime of that sort or does he only criticize the group being that Fanbase? Because as far as i see it, he dislikes Otaku (specifically what he calls "Gun Otaku") but doesnt seem that the same goes for the anime itself
This article leads me to believe that he opposes unrealistic portrayals of human beings. He specifically says
"Whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, 'Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life.'"
I can't see him liking the girls in SAO, especially Silica, if he values realism over fun.
Dec 17, 2015 2:28 AM

Dec 2012
Is the Myazaki stuff even real? some people said it was mistranslated. The same misconception about Anno saying anime won't survive in the next 2 decade or something.
Dec 17, 2015 2:31 AM
Mar 2014
ToastofJustice said:
tsudecimo said:

But criticism = good.

There's a difference between giving criticism for the sake of being critical, and being critical with a purpose. Not all criticisms are well done. There are some youtubers that do nothing but yell into their microphone for 10+ minutes about a particular anime, and then there are some youtubers that go into great detail on what the issue that they have with a particular show is.
Dec 17, 2015 2:32 AM
Nov 2015
keragamming said:

>To the serial lain fans "which ironically is consist of mostly elitist" who don't like snk,
>The world isn't as one dimensional as you think guys.

very good

abes works arent even that good but i only hate snk because of retards like you op and because i use the same logic every snk fan is a retard now
Dec 17, 2015 2:34 AM

Oct 2013
ToastofJustice said:

Lain is one of my favorite anime, but I don't care that it's creator has "sub par" tastes. I don't have anything against SNK, anyway.

The one thing I don't get is your deal with elitists, Keragamming. What, did elitists kill your family?

?? What you are saying is basically what l was saying. To not give a shit. I'm sure you can think of plenty of reasons why I don't like most of them. And whatever reasons you think of, you're probably right. There is your answer.
Dec 17, 2015 2:35 AM

Dec 2012
ToastofJustice said:
tsudecimo said:

But criticism = good.

No it's not lol. It depends on it's application and the motivation behind it. Being something just for the sake of it, is never good in any context.

What I find funny is whether they accept it or not, be self hating or not. At least have the self awareness that the negative venting is extremely pointless. Because your voice is not heard because your voice is irrelevant.

I'm all for criticism if it's constructive and with a purpose. But from my personal experience those who complain a lot, do it for the sake of being toxic. They just want their opinions validated no matter what. They need their worth to be elevated. A lot of insecurity and such.

It may be just cultural differences. Self entitlement, self hating, being loud, etc, is stuff that I see beyond the western anime community, and in any western online community. I find it puzzling.
Dec 17, 2015 2:36 AM
Mar 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
MahadoKusanagi said:
This article leads me to believe that he opposes unrealistic portrayals of human beings. He specifically says
"Whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, 'Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life.'"
I can't see him liking the girls in SAO, especially Silica, if he values realism over fun.

I think there is a bit more than that. What he is criticizing is a bit unfair. Because he is criticizing the realism in the character development, which is ok, but at the same time he is saying that the people who made such characters are all otaku. And there is my problem with it because he is just generalising too much for his benefit
Dec 17, 2015 2:37 AM

Jan 2015
keragamming said:
ToastofJustice said:

?? What you are saying is basically what l was saying. To not give a shit. I'm sure you can think of plenty of reasons why I don't like most of them. And whatever reasons you think of, you're probably right. There is your answer.

But you obviously care what the "Elite" think, or you wouldn't be making this topic.
Dec 17, 2015 2:39 AM

Sep 2014
I don't respect nor disrespect people based on what anime they like. That doesn't make any sense at all. Imaishi (who made what I consider the best anime) could even love Shigatsu and I wouldn't give a damn.

Although I don't understand why are people so concerned about this Miyazaki dude and the bullshit he says in the first place.
Dec 17, 2015 2:39 AM

Sep 2014
tsudecimo said:
Is the Myazaki stuff even real? some people said it was mistranslated. The same misconception about Anno saying anime won't survive in the next 2 decade or something.
Miyazaki does complain about moe show and how animator lack realism in his work because they are otaku that rarely observe proper movement in real world, but I dont know about his claim about anime fans being otaku and lolicon is legit or not.
Anno also said about anime won't survive another 2 decade BUT he didn't talking about the content but more about the system, he said the amount of anime comes out every season and the budgeting system will made anime industry burn out.
[i][b]I'am the Mayor of under development residential called MAL Backstreet Residential.
Now what are you waiting for?! Come join us at MAL Backstreet Residential!!
[/i][/b]
Dec 17, 2015 2:40 AM

Jan 2015
tsudecimo said:
ToastofJustice said:

But criticism = good.

No it's not lol. It depends on it's application and the motivation behind it. Being something just for the sake of it, is never good in any context.

What I find funny is whether they accept it or not, be self hating or not. At least have the self awareness that the negative venting is extremely pointless. Because your voice is not heard because your voice is irrelevant.

I'm all for criticism if it's constructive and with a purpose. But from my personal experience those who complain a lot, do it for the sake of being toxic. They just want their opinions validated no matter what. They need their worth to be elevated. A lot of insecurity and such.

It may be just cultural differences. Self entitlement, self hating, being loud, etc, is stuff that I see beyond the western anime community, and in any western online community. I find it puzzling.

Sorry, but your blanket statement, or at least my perceived notion, of criticism led me to believe you disliked criticism in general.

Shoulda read better.

Sorry, brah.
Dec 17, 2015 2:43 AM

Dec 2012
BangToyib said:
tsudecimo said:
Miyazaki does complain about moe show and how animator lack realism in his work because they are otaku that rarely observe proper movement in real world, but I dont know about his claim about anime fans being otaku and lolicon is legit or not.
Anno also said about anime won't survive another 2 decade BUT he didn't talking about the content but more about the system, he said the amount of anime comes out every season and the budgeting system will made anime industry burn out.

Oh okay, thx. Really wished that Myazaki stuff didn't get out of Japan. It became a meme and fuel for the hate :o
Dec 17, 2015 2:48 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
At least have the self awareness that the negative venting is extremely pointless. Because your voice is not heard because your voice is irrelevant.

This reminds mr of your former obsessive hate of Marvel's MCU.
Dec 17, 2015 2:50 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
tsudecimo said:
At least have the self awareness that the negative venting is extremely pointless. Because your voice is not heard because your voice is irrelevant.

wut

Few posts about it in the music entertainment board and it's obsession?
I liked Ultron and Ant man anyway. And I was not ''hating'' on it just for the sake of it. I was just watching a lot of youtube channels about them, but didn't have a place to discuss and share my thoughts.
Dec 17, 2015 2:52 AM

Oct 2013
ToastofJustice said:
keragamming said:

But you obviously care what the "Elite" think, or you wouldn't be making this topic.

I think you've misunderstand what this topic was about. A lot of people don't like sao, not just elitist. I only included the snk part to give my post a little more meat. I made this topic, because people in the other topic was acting like its impossible for Miyazaki to like sao. I just found it to be odd.
Dec 17, 2015 2:57 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:

wut

Few posts about it in the music entertainment board and it's obsession?
I liked Ultron and Ant man anyway. And I was not ''hating'' on it just for the sake of it. I was just watching a lot of youtube channels about them, but didn't have a place to discuss and share my thoughts.
You couldn't shut up about your hate for the first Avengers movie and Thor and how the X men movies are the only good Marvel movies. You even bashed the MCU on your alt, that kind of screams obsession. Only recently that's why I said former, you actually were negative about them at first with the trailers before actually watching the movies (Antman and Age of Ultron). Your hate before is what I would definitely call an obsession. Posts like these were also hating just for the sake of hating.
tsudecimo said:
Noooo. Fuck. I hate marvel studios. They are gonna make spider man worse.

tsudecimo said:
Marvel studios movies are generally boring, average or terrible so I'm not excited.

tsudecimo said:
Looks like shit, well it's marvel so no surprise. Just milking the cow.

tsudecimo said:
Looks even more boring than first one. I will pass.
DrGeroCreationDec 17, 2015 3:55 AM
Dec 17, 2015 3:00 AM

Aug 2014
Don't really get the example with ABe. He is mainly a character designer. Don't think he was involved much in the story for Lain and also Texhnolyze. I think only Haibane Renmei was where he did the story. People don't really treat him as some kind of genius anime writer/director like Miyazaki and mostly like him as a character designer.
Dec 17, 2015 3:04 AM

Mar 2013
Foxfire said:
Don't really get the example with ABe. He is mainly a character designer. Don't think he was involved much in the story for Lain and also Texhnolyze. I think only Haibane Renmei was where he did the story. People don't really treat him as some kind of genius anime writer/director like Miyazaki and mostly like him as a character designer.
Story & Art, and the art in NHK
Dec 17, 2015 3:05 AM

Jul 2013
I don't really care. If Hiromu Arakawa (one of my favorites mangakas) says one day that she consider Makouka or Utsu Mutsume Sayuri masterpieces, I don't will stop love her works just because she thinks that those animes (who I didn't like at all) are good.

And also, that Miyazaki joke has get too old.
IllyricusDec 17, 2015 3:47 AM
Dec 17, 2015 3:06 AM

Oct 2013
Foxfire said:

Did you even look first? He is the original creator of serial lain and renmai. Serial lain is one of the most acclaimed series when it comes to the elitist group. I thought it was a perfect example to use. Anyways that's not the point here.

Also I only included the snk part, so I could have a legit example. Than a what if example.
keragammingDec 17, 2015 3:15 AM
Dec 17, 2015 3:06 AM

Apr 2011
Don't really think it's that hard to believe anyone that says successful anime are good anime.
Dec 17, 2015 3:31 AM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:
Did you even look first? He is the original creator of serial lain and renmai. Serial lain is one of the most acclaimed series when it comes to the elitist group. I thought it was a perfect example to use. Anyways that's not the point here.

Also I only included the snk part, so I could have a legit eg. Than a what if situation.

He did the character designs for both Lain and Renmei. He only did the story for Renmei. The story for Lain was handled by this guy http://myanimelist.net/people/6160/Konaka_Chiaki and this guy I think http://myanimelist.net/people/13223/Ueda_Yasayuki.

You can even look at ABe's wikipedia page and he is not credited as a writer and only as a character designer for Lain.
FoxfireDec 17, 2015 3:51 AM
Dec 17, 2015 3:42 AM

Jan 2015
keragamming said:
ToastofJustice said:

I think you've misunderstand what this topic was about. A lot of people don't like sao, not just elitist. I only included the snk part to give my post a little more meat. I made this topic, because people in the other topic was acting like its impossible for Miyazaki to like sao. I just found it to be odd.

Coudn't you've just replied in that thread then?
Dec 17, 2015 3:45 AM
Jun 2015
Serial Experiments Lain was not written by Yoshitoshi ABe, it was Chiaki Konaka. His original creation was Haibane Renmei. He for the most part is the lead character designer on most of his Anime products, but he also is responsible for manga and artbooks that are often bundled or sold separately in the titles he has worked on. Also I have no idea why him liking Attack on Titan really matters? It is possible to separate people's taste from their creations.
Dec 17, 2015 3:46 AM

Apr 2014
Wtf is this thread even about, like wtf.
Dec 17, 2015 3:49 AM

Jan 2015
Foxfire said:
keragamming said:

Also I only included the snk part, so I could have a legit eg. Than a what if situation.

He did the character designs for both Lain and Renmei. He only did the story Renmei. The story for Lain was handled this guy http://myanimelist.net/people/6160/Konaka_Chiaki and this guy I think http://myanimelist.net/people/13223/Ueda_Yasayuki.

You can even look at ABe's wikipedia page and he is not credited as a writer and only as a character designer for Lain.

Looks like you fucked up, bud.

ABE may of bean an original creator in the design process, but that doesn't mean he dealt with story themes or script.
Dec 17, 2015 3:50 AM

Sep 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
Wtf is this thread even about, like wtf.

The guy is replying to another thread, but decided to make an entirely different thread for it.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 17, 2015 4:00 AM

Oct 2015
Well, you know it's like a mangaka who draw loli but like big breast woman
Dec 17, 2015 4:06 AM

Nov 2015
Why is it so hard to not pay attention to such toxic behavior.
ughhh it makes me sick
Dec 17, 2015 4:09 AM

Oct 2011
The thing is, you can disapprove a person's preferences yet you can still maintain respect for his achievements.
Dec 17, 2015 4:10 AM

May 2013
It's not really hard to believe anything.
This is just a thing that happens with hardcore fans of any kind.

Just take a look at hardcore soccer fans. Some of them won't hesitate to beat the shit out of another person if they admit to liking another/opposite team
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Love live

Vapor_AU - 48 minutes ago

12 by Shizuna »»
59 seconds ago

» Has anime ever had a depressing or motivating effect on you?

RobertBobert - May 30

22 by MasterTasuke »»
9 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - May 30

40 by Anjuro »»
41 minutes ago

» Anime which quality considerably decreased with production of new series

Shabo-kun - 55 minutes ago

0 by Shabo-kun »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - May 29

88 by Adnash »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.