Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2015 10:34 AM
Feb 2014
So I'm obviously someone who follows the McJuggerNuggets saga shit extensively but I'm curious if people legitimately believe YouTube is a job.

To me, I think it can be a job, since you are technically being paid, but it should not be the only job one person should have in my opinion. I believe YouTubers can also get another job if the resources are there for them, and this way they can make even more money and be even more well-off. What I don't like is how people may insist, YouTube is the only "job" they are obliged to have and it will give them nothing else to do but just that, when opportunities are there for them and they don't take advantage of it, and disrespect others who are trying to help them get that other job. Not to mention, you'd have to have a shit ton and I mean a complete shit ton of subscribers to financially succeed alone.

I could argue that "as long as they're happy with whatever they're doing, why even bother?" but to me, it goes with maximizing efforts you can take advantage of when you can, so while I think YouTube can be a plausible job for someone, it should be coupled with something else in my opinion for even more money and perhaps a broader life than just YouTubing itself.
AqutanJul 25, 2015 10:38 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 25, 2015 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Yep, based Pewds.
Jul 25, 2015 10:38 AM

Apr 2014
It can be but when you treat it like a job it shows in your "entertainment". This just ruins the whole thing. Pewdiepie can treat it like a hobby cause he earns enough and puts effort into his videos.

There's a youtuber who acts like this and gets trolled so bad because of it, it's pretty hilarious. He's like I can't continue this playthrough if you're not gonna watch it, unlike other fake youtubers I'm real lmao.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jul 25, 2015 10:38 AM

May 2014
Nico, they can get another job, they just dont need to ... and ofc. considering that most YT-ers are dead beat slobs they wont get one.
all they need to do is figure out how they can rally more subs and get more views.
Jul 25, 2015 10:39 AM

Apr 2013
in the end, YouTubers are entertainers. I doubt the ones capable of sustaining themselves would even have time for another job. Sponsorships and stuff I think would help their income, but YouTubers in general seem to be busy. LetsPlayers have to upload a few videos a day. Educational YouTubers have to research and refine their material (CGP Grey spends hundreds of hours on this for ex.). etc.

For average YouTubers who only make a bear minimum and have the luxury of free time though, I suppose its best if they find another side job, but that's entirely their decision.
Jul 25, 2015 10:40 AM
Feb 2014
CharlRosso said:
Yep, based Pewds.

He's qualified. Just look at his subscriber count and if he's made more than a million alone on that, he's good to live and pay on his own.

Others, if they're lacking that amount of total subscribers are better off getting other jobs.
Jul 25, 2015 10:41 AM
Sep 2014
ZA_WAYD said:
Nico, they can get another job, they just dont need to ... and ofc. considering that most YT-ers are dead beat slobs they wont get one.
all they need to do is figure out how they can rally more subs and get more views.
Don't forget about selling over priced merch with their logo :)
Jul 25, 2015 10:42 AM

Jun 2013
The internet entertainment industry is and has been growing rapidly for the past decade, and so the job market in regards to producing media entertainment for people is pretty vast. I don't think people are inclined to tell talk-show hosts, mainstream journalists, newscasters, or sit-com producers/cast members that they should "pursue other fields" or "get other jobs," however they feel quite the authority to do so when the very same entertainment fields are being covered over the internet. There's this pervasive myth that internet success isn't a lucrative market to pursue, and it's necessary to tear that myth down.

TheBasedNico said:
CharlRosso said:
Yep, based Pewds.

He's qualified. Just look at his subscriber count and if he's made more than a million alone on that, he's good to live and pay on his own.

Others, if they're lacking that amount of total subscribers are better off getting other jobs.

He's made much more than just one million. CPM is pretty insane, plus sponsors, including merchandise, and then compounded with donations.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 25, 2015 10:43 AM
Feb 2014
Masked_Mantis said:
It can be but when you treat it like a job it shows in your "entertainment". This just ruins the whole thing. Pewdiepie can treat it like a hobby cause he earns enough and puts effort into his videos.

There's a youtuber who acts like this and gets trolled so bad because of it, it's pretty hilarious. He's like I can't continue this playthrough if you're not gonna watch it, unlike other fake youtubers I'm real lmao.

Mind telling me more about this YouTuber? I feel like I might know who it is.

ZA_WAYD said:

And lack of creativity and ability to attract subscribers is what inhibits it.

Harukaze25 said:
in the end, YouTubers are entertainers. I doubt the ones capable of sustaining themselves would even have time for another job. Sponsorships and stuff I think would help their income, but YouTubers in general seem to be busy. LetsPlayers have to upload a few videos a day. Educational YouTubers have to research and refine their material (CGP Grey spends hundreds of hours on this for ex.). etc.

For average YouTubers who only make a bear minimum and have the luxury of free time though, I suppose its best if they find another side job, but that's entirely their decision.

It all should come down to the amount of subscribers and if that will be enough to be financially sustainable to equally thrive with things such as the bills.
Jul 25, 2015 10:46 AM
Feb 2014
YandereTheEmo said:
The internet entertainment industry is and has been growing rapidly for the past decade, and so the job market in regards to producing media entertainment for people is pretty vast. I don't think people are inclined to tell talk-show hosts, mainstream journalists, newscasters, or sit-com producers/cast members that they should "pursue other fields" or "get other jobs," however they feel quite the authority to do so when the very same entertainment fields are being covered over the internet. There's this pervasive myth that internet success isn't a lucrative market to pursue, and it's necessary to tear that myth down.

TheBasedNico said:

He's made much more than just one million. CPM is pretty insane, plus sponsors, including merchandise, and then compounded with donations.

That's what I mean, you'd have to be a name to be qualified to keep YouTube as your only job. The matter of fact is, many and I mean many YouTubers do not have big names right now. So they're better off getting a side job in addition.

For the broader entertainment industry though, the salary is all that counts, and usually salaries are enough to suffice to that one role alone, luckily.
Jul 25, 2015 10:49 AM

Apr 2014
TheBasedNico said:

Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jul 25, 2015 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
No.
Jul 25, 2015 10:54 AM
Feb 2014
Masked_Mantis said:
TheBasedNico said:

>Dark Souls

Beta tendencies detected
Jul 25, 2015 11:04 AM

May 2014
TheBasedNico said:
Masked_Mantis said:

>Dark Souls

Beta tendencies detected

lol
more like submissive masochist tendencies.

though i have to admit , pewdiepie kind of set the bare low for other YT-ers and now they dont even try to be creative because they see pewd making money without breaking a sweat :"P
Jul 25, 2015 11:05 AM

Apr 2013
sure
an egomaniac and a fool

Jul 25, 2015 11:10 AM
Jan 2013
It's actually the number of views that will give the money (Or better, the number of monetized views), though the number of subscribers equals a bigger number of possible viewers after a video comes out, so I guess that's right too? .-.

There's a Niche channel(That presented Hot wheels cars and courses) with 280K ish subs that had made enough money a month to live with only that (It was a number on the something thousand dollars, or pounds, I don't quite remember). But that's probably cause they had several videos on the million views, but only the few really interested on Hot Wheels subscribed.

But yeah, I saw several instances of people going full-time on Youtube with 300-400K subscribers.
gone bai bai
Jul 25, 2015 11:14 AM

May 2009
It takes effort and skill to entertain people in some way or another, so yes, I think it's definitely a job, especially if you get paid for it,

While everyone can be a Youtuber, not everyone can be a successful Youtuber. Even if you have all the basics covered, if you can't 'click' with your audience, you will never make it big.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2015 11:27 AM

Jun 2013
TheBasedNico said:

That's what I mean, you'd have to be a name to be qualified to keep YouTube as your only job. The matter of fact is, many and I mean many YouTubers do not have big names right now. So they're better off getting a side job in addition.

For the broader entertainment industry though, the salary is all that counts, and usually salaries are enough to suffice to that one role alone, luckily.

It depends on the person's aspirations, and how much money they actually seek to earn. There are plenty of youtubers with merely 100-200k subscribers, netting maybe 20-40k views on an average vid, who can make a pretty substantial living off of it. Once again, CPM, donations, merch, etc... are all part of what makes it such a lucrative industry. Many people who aren't big names in youtube, but make consistent video-game content/stream often, make quite a bit more than the top-ranked youtubers. Knowing this, it's less about quality or popularization, and more about the frequency of targeting a certain group--much like how quite a bit of the anime industry works: you provide not for some vast community on occasion, but for a smaller net community that is guaranteed to support what you are producing.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 25, 2015 11:31 AM

May 2014
AO968 said:
It takes effort and skill to entertain people in some way or another, so yes, I think it's definitely a job, especially if you get paid for it,

well i might disagree on the effort part and skill/talent is something god given so ...
AO968 said:

While everyone can be a Youtuber, not everyone can be a successful Youtuber. Even if you have all the basics covered, if you can't 'click' with your audience, you will never make it big.

this is true, its so sad to see YT-ers becoming desperate and scraping the bottom of the barrel, going to extremes like degrading yourself maybe wear a pink sweat suit and make cheesy comedic videos and acting like a dumb mofo just for the sake of nailing subs.
and sadly some of them reach a point where they have practically invested too much to back out later on.
Jul 25, 2015 11:36 AM

May 2015
I find it a pathetic job, at least among 'creating professions' because the content is of such low quality. Money is important and all, but I wouldn't want my name stuck to some crap like PewDiePie's weird attempts at hardcore punk.

I think any one who picks up a 'creating professions' could use another job. It's not jjust for the money but for the ideas. An author can't just be an author. He has to live life a little to have something to write about.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 25, 2015 11:40 AM

Jul 2015
If you are big on YouTube and can make a living off of the money you make on it, then yes it can be considered a job, as long as you put a lot of time into it. However if you are not very big on YouTube, but popular enough to gain a fair amount of money, then possibly a job should be added on the side. This is just the way I see it.
Jul 25, 2015 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
If you're paid to do a thing, it's a job
Jul 25, 2015 11:41 AM
Dec 2014
CharlRosso said:
Yep, based Pewds.

danitheunicorn said:
DayP said:
If you are big on YouTube and can make a living off of the money you make on it, then yes it can be considered a job, (PewDiePie for example.) However if you are not very big on YouTube but popular enough to gain a fair amount of money then possibly a job should be added on the side. This is just the way I see it.
j
Jul 25, 2015 11:51 AM

Oct 2009
It is a job, but not a profession.
It doesn't mean that it is less valuable, though. It is task oriented so pretty sure people doing it are more than capable, but there are no standards nor formal binds or organizations like a profession. That is why I think they belongs to the informal sector. It is a job.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jul 25, 2015 11:52 AM
Feb 2014
DayP said:
If you are big on YouTube and can make a living off of the money you make on it, then yes it can be considered a job, as long as you put a lot of time into it. However if you are not very big on YouTube, but popular enough to gain a fair amount of money, then possibly a job should be added on the side. This is just the way I see it.

That's basically my take on it.
Jul 25, 2015 12:08 PM

May 2014
Anything that keeps you occupied all day can be a job.

Whether people believe it classifies as a job or not is entirely subjective.
Jul 25, 2015 2:47 PM

Jan 2015
danitheunicorn said:
Jul 25, 2015 5:27 PM

Oct 2013
First of all:
_Generik_ said:
danitheunicorn said:

Regardless of how much you get paid for it.

If you need more money, it's up to you to get it. If that requires you to get another job, or work harder at your current one, so be it.

I don't know where I stand on this. While it's awesome for someone to make a living off of something they love, I don't want every little kid saying "Mommy, I wanna be a youtuber!" growing up.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 25, 2015 5:38 PM

Oct 2012
Yes.
But like mowing your neighbours' lawns, it's not necessarily a job worth talking about if you're looking to impress, and you can work a more 'primary' job alongside it.
Of course, it can lead to bigger things for some, or at least give you valuable experience.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jul 25, 2015 5:42 PM

Jul 2012
If your getting paid for the work you do on it then it's a job.
Jul 25, 2015 5:42 PM

Mar 2014
It's the internet equivalent of early retirement money
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 25, 2015 6:00 PM

Mar 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
I find it a pathetic job, at least among 'creating professions' because the content is of such low quality. Money is important and all, but I wouldn't want my name stuck to some crap like PewDiePie's weird attempts at hardcore punk.

I think any one who picks up a 'creating professions' could use another job. It's not jjust for the money but for the ideas. An author can't just be an author. He has to live life a little to have something to write about.

What? Pewdiepie made 7 million dollars last year. And you call this a "pathetic job"? Content of quality is subjective to those watching it. And he's supplying content that 4 Billion views have brought him in 2014. More even this year. His content may not fit everyone, and I don't like it either, but you can't argue that he's doing something that is his passion and making more money then you or I may ever make.

Are acting jobs a "profession"? Are sports a "profession"? What is the difference between a job and a profession?
Jul 25, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2015
NoongaJuice said:
I don't know where I stand on this. While it's awesome for someone to make a living off of something they love, I don't want every little kid saying "Mommy, I wanna be a youtuber!" growing up.

Why? Isn't it the same as saying "I want to be an actor"?
Jul 25, 2015 6:19 PM

Aug 2014
Anytime that you get an income legally and pay taxes off that income, that is a job, a real job. End of story.

Welcome to capitalism.

I dont lose any sleep over it.

I just dont like it when some youtubers put their address so some fans can send them stuff. And every now and then, they get letters, which is great. But many times they get anime packages, expensive stuff, etc., and I dont like that.
oooo3333Jul 25, 2015 6:25 PM
Jul 25, 2015 6:43 PM

Apr 2015
ooo333 said:
Welcome to capitalism.

If your creativity are being paid, it's a job.
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jul 25, 2015 11:04 PM

Jun 2014
YouTubers get no vacation if they decide to make it a career so...
SyndiciateAug 18, 2015 9:48 PM
Jul 26, 2015 1:12 AM

Jan 2015
Can u be ITRd by that kind of job?
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 26, 2015 1:15 AM

Oct 2012
Yes.

Jul 26, 2015 1:23 AM

Dec 2014
No, its a hobby. That very few people get lucky with.
Jul 26, 2015 1:26 AM

Jun 2014
Jsyk, YouTubers have a hard time actually earning their income if people keep skipping the ads lol.
Jul 26, 2015 1:58 AM

May 2014
damastah said:
Jsyk, YouTubers have a hard time actually earning their income if people keep skipping the ads lol.

ad bloc yo :^)
besides the content is barely ever worth it , so why should people care ??
i mean from what ive seen so far (not a big YT follower) its mostly "react to [insert dumb shit here] colabs (°Д°)" and the currently trending "coming out videos ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) " .... so seriously why should be people even be bothered to care (¬_¬)
Jul 26, 2015 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
I would compare it to the job of a freelance journalist.
So yes,I would call it a job and if they get wealthy this way,nice for them.
All they are doing is satisfying the demand.
Jul 26, 2015 2:15 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If you can get enough money from it to keep yourself financially sustained, sure why not
Jul 26, 2015 2:53 AM

Jun 2014
ZA_WAYD said:
damastah said:

i mean from what ive seen so far (not a big YT follower) its mostly "react to [insert dumb shit here] colabs (°Д°)" and the currently trending "coming out videos ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) " .... so seriously why should be people even be bothered to care (¬_¬)

It's people like you that make those who have YouTube as their sole outcome, starve to death lol.
Jul 26, 2015 2:55 AM

May 2014
damastah said:
ZA_WAYD said:

It's people like you that make those who have YouTube as their sole outcome, starve to death lol.

but im not subbed in any channel i swear ;-;
i even flagged a few videos that were totally shit T^T im being proactive.
Jul 26, 2015 2:58 AM

Jun 2014
ZA_WAYD said:
damastah said:

but im not subbed in any channel i swear ;-;
i even flagged a few videos that were totally shit T^T im being proactive.

I meant:
ZA_WAYD said:

ZA_WAYD, killing dem YT income since 2015.
Jul 26, 2015 3:05 AM

Mar 2015
Oxalias said:
That's like asking if editing your MAL blogs is a job. Of course its not, at the most its a payed hobby.

That's an awful analogy. A job is regular work, physical or mental, that allows you to earn money for that said work.

There are people who write review blogs on movies, and that is there job. Not to mention, nearly every job you can think of started as a hobby. Computer Programmer? Started as a hobby back in computer invention. Car manufacturers? Started as a hobby inventing the automobile. Acting? Started as a hobby in ancient human times.

None of these things you consider as a "job" started out that way. They all came from a hobby someone did, then turned over into a job when people would pay for it.

Bloodshade said:
No, its a hobby. That very few people get lucky with.

But... those who do get "lucky" have a job making videos and entertaining, correct? So it can be a job, yeah? I don't understand why we have to make it one or the other. Some people play hockey as a hobby, but it can still be a job for some if they happen to have the opportunity to, for example. Why is something like that not applicable to video creations like Youtube?
Jul 26, 2015 3:07 AM

Jun 2014
1unarsage said:
damastah said:

What are ads?|

(5u811m1n41. 3v3ry8o|)y D1 4d81oc|c 91u5)

Advertisements. Those vids that play before you can watch, usually you can skip with a skip button on the right part of the video.
Jul 26, 2015 5:59 AM

May 2015
cause said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What? Pewdiepie made 7 million dollars last year. And you call this a "pathetic job"? Content of quality is subjective to those watching it. And he's supplying content that 4 Billion views have brought him in 2014. More even this year. His content may not fit everyone, and I don't like it either, but you can't argue that he's doing something that is his passion and making more money then you or I may ever make.

Are acting jobs a "profession"? Are sports a "profession"? What is the difference between a job and a profession?

Popularity isn't quality and money is not an achievement, in and of itself. Money is a tool. I'm more impressed with people who are doing interesting things with their money than simply gettin' paper.

PewDiePie did have some worthwhile charity moments, or so I heard, and I'm glad he's using his mone for a good cause. It doesn't make his content any less pathetic. It's just a person vomiting a stream of bad jokes, parodying Mike Patton's scream while playing a video game. I can't see any value in it, or how it contributes to society beyond just killing time.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 26, 2015 6:04 AM

Oct 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
cause said:

Popularity isn't quality and money is not an achievement, in and of itself. Money is a tool. I'm more impressed with people who are doing interesting things with their money than simply gettin' paper.

PewDiePie did have some worthwhile charity moments, or so I heard, and I'm glad he's using his mone for a good cause. It doesn't make his content any less pathetic. It's just a person vomiting a stream of bad jokes, parodying Mike Patton's scream while playing a video game. I can't see any value in it, or how it contributes to society beyond just killing time.

You seem angry that he is making that bread while you aren't.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Aliens and religion ?

Acnera - Jul 2, 2016

19 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
1 minute ago

» please use online shopping wisely

FruitPunchBaka - 20 minutes ago

0 by FruitPunchBaka »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 1

31 by shiroha »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you think we will have Terminator-like robots or will we have Detroit Become Human-like robots in the future?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

3 by deg »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

58 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.