Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 28, 2008 1:02 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A pretty powerful movie, I thought it would explain how he would die also.
KinetaSep 9, 2012 7:11 PM
Jan 7, 2009 3:30 AM

May 2008
It was most definitely malnutrition as well. He just gave up trying to live.
Jan 8, 2009 6:40 PM

Jan 2009
Last night I watched Grave of the fireflies and i had a question maybe some of you could answer. I was wondering why Seita did not withdraw the money from the bank in the first placeto feed them rather than waiting for Setsuko to starve before resorting to the money? I was wondering if there was something i missed.
Jan 19, 2009 7:16 PM

Dec 2007
otakudan said:
Last night I watched Grave of the fireflies and i had a question maybe some of you could answer. I was wondering why Seita did not withdraw the money from the bank in the first placeto feed them rather than waiting for Setsuko to starve before resorting to the money? I was wondering if there was something i missed.

I'm assuming he was trying to hold out for the long run. It's also during war time, which means inflation goes up quite fast, money often becomes worthless, he might be saving it for after the war? I'm guessing anyway.
[
Feb 19, 2009 8:01 PM
Sep 2008
;_; my face through the entire movie.
Mar 31, 2009 5:17 PM

Mar 2009
Really sad movie, probably the most influential anti-war movie I've ever seen.

The English dub is somewhat of a letdown though, definetly watch in Japanese.
See You Space Cowboy
May 24, 2009 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
Agreed, stunning, gripping, unflinching movie. Roger Ebert has a fantastic review of it on his website. (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000319/REVIEWS08/3190301/1023 )

Yeah, the english dub was thoroughly mediocre at its best. I found the movie to be so incredible, I forced some others (that pooh pooh "cartoons") to watch it, but had to leave it in English. It detracts from the atmosphere as, well, they couldn't get the emotions right.
May 24, 2009 8:53 AM
Jul 2018
kaizer11 said:
;_; my face through the entire movie.

Ah, yes. I cried during this movie, which is extremely rare. I can't think of any other movies that have been so emotional that my own body has reacted like a girl and felt the same emotions to empathize with the fiction going on onscreen.
Jun 16, 2009 11:44 PM

Sep 2008
This movie was a piece of shit. Hated it. Also, movies like these make me hate Americans lol.

Although from an artistic point of view, this movie was really good. Hence why I gave it a 6 and not a 1. I just dislike movies about wars. Too tragic etc.
Jul 6, 2009 1:06 AM

May 2008
5layer said:
This movie was a piece of shit. Hated it. Also, movies like these make me hate Americans lol.

Although from an artistic point of view, this movie was really good. Hence why I gave it a 6 and not a 1. I just dislike movies about wars. Too tragic etc.

^^^
lame :/
Jul 7, 2009 12:17 PM

Jul 2009
5layer said:

So...you basically hate the movie because it fulfills its goals in every way?
Aug 21, 2009 1:00 PM

Jul 2009
Just finished watching and...

... it's kinda hard to talk about right now... ;_;

SETSUKOOOOO
Check out my eurobeat guide. Who knows, you might find yourself a new favourite genre!
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=738669
Aug 21, 2009 1:07 PM

Apr 2009
It's definitely a good movie to watch when you're having a good pity party going for yourself. It snaps you right out of it, 'cause it's like standing next to a burning hospital and complaining that your AC at home is broken.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Sep 20, 2009 5:44 PM

Apr 2008
5layer said:

Fail
Damemametane@Twitter (Trilingual, tags #nsfw and #spoilers but not BLmatsu, rambles like a machine then disappears for weeks. follow at your own risks and perils)
Sep 25, 2009 7:41 PM

Aug 2009
*sniffle

i finished about 30 mins ago..
but i'm still kinda crying TT^TT
... in fact, i have a box of tissues next to me as we speak..

this was an amazing movie... i think its the only one thats made me cry throughout the whole thing...
o.x
"I don't wish my life was like a fairy tale, I wish it to be a shojo manga" :D
Sep 30, 2009 9:03 PM
Sep 2009
Sooooo sad.... Setsuko is so cute! made me think of my daughter.
Oct 3, 2009 1:51 PM

Jul 2007
It was a beautiful, realistic story, but this movie just made me even more depressed. Human beings are horrible creatures.
<---made of awesome!
Oct 17, 2009 5:43 AM

Feb 2009
such a sad ending :<
Nov 6, 2009 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
Very powerful and gripping movie. Definitely got to me.
Nov 22, 2009 11:32 AM

May 2009
It was really painful to watch Setsuko gradually get worse before dying. Baww, such a sad movie.
Nov 22, 2009 11:33 AM

Jul 2009
Meh, I didn't really feel anything when I watched it.

Nov 27, 2009 1:48 PM

May 2009
i can't even express how i feel after seeing a movie like this.

everyone who is an appreciator of warmovies is obligated to see this one (whatever they like or not anime)
Nov 29, 2009 9:12 PM
May 2008
Aww man. :(
After I finished I had to re watch the first 5 minute into.
;__;
Dec 22, 2009 4:48 PM

Oct 2008
Wow, great movie that was shockingly realistic.. Very gripping. But I felt this movie didn't really have a plot, it was like they just cut out a chunk of the life of the brother and his sister and just put it together into a movie. Although I'm sure this was their intention; to ensure the movie was as realistic and accurate as possible it meant that the movie lacked a clear sense of direction. It meandered along until the credits started to roll. On an emotional level I would give this a 10/10 but I don't think it deserves more than a 8/10 as a movie overall.
Dec 27, 2009 7:56 AM
Oct 2009
so beautiful yet so sad
Feb 15, 2010 2:46 AM

Jan 2009
Their deaths felt unnecessary. I didn't understand why Seita refused to work. That way he could have lived in a house and fed his sister.
Mar 3, 2010 12:18 AM

Sep 2009
I dont think this movie should be rated as PG-13 .
Mar 10, 2010 11:14 AM

Jan 2010
It made me cry at the end when his sister had died because of manutrition, if only she hadn;t died because of her brothers stupidity D:.
Mar 23, 2010 10:36 PM
Feb 2010
8.5/10

Yes, I'll admit it was rather sad, but it seemed rushed. I realize it was a movie, rather than an anime series, but there just seemed to be something missing from it. The pacing was quite slow, which is understandable, and I can sort of see the effect they were going for with it.

Maybe I just can't get attached to characters in just 90 minutes. Regardless, it's still definitely worth a watch.
Mar 31, 2010 11:29 PM

Sep 2008
A little piece of me died in the end T_T </3

A very powerful film if you are able to empathize with the character rather than judge his every decision.
Mayora-HimeMar 31, 2010 11:32 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2010 8:59 AM

May 2009
the best anti-war movie ever made
ur view of war will never be the same after u complete grave of the fireflies
and this is one anime that iam never gona watch again.
Apr 30, 2010 1:29 AM

Nov 2008
I want to kill that greedy bitch!!!!
May 20, 2010 6:28 PM

Apr 2009
Wow. I have to say one thing: seeing Setsuko lie there and talk about food made of stone was heartbreaking.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
May 24, 2010 8:19 AM

May 2008
Seita has to be one of the most rage inducing main characters I've ever seen in anything. This was essentially the Million Dollar Baby of anime films, except with even more tragic stupidity.
May 30, 2010 9:45 AM

Jun 2009
Can't say I enjoyed the movie, I sort of liken it to the Schindler's list of anime. Important well made film that should be watched but in no way would I want to watch it again. I also feel as though the runtime could have been longer, though, since I'm used to watching longer tv series I didn't feel as though I was as attached to the characters as I could have been.

Still, there is no denying the tragic nature of this film and how pride can lead to the downfall of people. 8/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 18, 2010 10:24 PM

Feb 2010
What a ride. What brutal honesty. I appreciated how this movie refrained from pointing fingers. In fact, I was shocked how the atomic bombings received no mention at all.

About Seita refusing to swallow his pride--it's indeed disagreeable, but realize that his character is a teenager, not to mention a son of a soldier. On that account, Setsuko really does act her age. No genius five-year olds here.

This is a beautiful, if suffocating film. Watch this if you haven't yet!
hellogoodbyeJun 19, 2010 3:54 AM
Jun 23, 2010 1:03 PM

Jan 2010
yakyuu-addict said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A pretty powerful movie, I thought it would explain how he would die also.

wait,he died too?i think i missed that part :(...oh well,he didn't have what to live for...f**** war

this was an amazing movie,actually,it's the 2nd best japanese movie i've ever seen,after la maison en petites cubes

it's a masterpiece...9/10
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 8, 2010 11:19 PM

Mar 2010
In the start of the movie, he says that he dies at a specific date, I just finsihsed the movie myself. For something that was made in 1988 this was an extremely awesome film.
Jul 9, 2010 3:11 PM
Sep 2009
I re-watched this today and I'm still moved by it. The scene where his mother is being tossed into the pit was rather awful...
Jul 17, 2010 5:42 AM

Jan 2008
it's a tragic and beautiful movie but I didn't really really get moved by it. He made a bad choice a really bad one, and I mean really bad. I guess it was his japanese pride and his father being a marine made it only worse, you could notice this when I heard people say that Japan surrendered, hey said something along the lines: 'not the great japanese empire!". I actually laughed a bit then. Seriously if they are bomming your country almost non stop you aren't winning.

And if he really wanted his sister to be safe he should have just helped, I mean that is even the most logical thing to do during the war, what his aunt said wasn't good either but she had a good reason, food during WWII wasn't what you can call easy to get and with a soldier(?) and a daughter you had to be extra careful.

I just couldn't feel sorry for him,he made a bad choice, a choice which wasn't one to begin with. I know he was young and all but still he wasn't THAT young.

This movie also made me think about America and how they are just as arrogant as the kid, and always making bad choices XD
TheUniqueReaperJul 17, 2010 5:49 AM
Jul 20, 2010 12:56 PM
Jan 2010
clannad4ever said:

wait,he died too?i think i missed that part

His death is shown at the very beginning of the movie.
Sep 7, 2010 4:03 AM

Nov 2009
While watching it, the movie succeeds in evoking a strong reaction from the viewer, more so than any other I've seen before.

After the movie reaches its contrived conclusion however, it seems this was nothing more than helplessly watching a little girl die at the hands of her dumbass brother. While orphans have starved during war time no doubt, this kid simply refused to do what it takes to survive.

I don't know why people call this a war movie. It's just a tragedy, of the 'pride comes before the fall' sort. Kids have lost their parents in more difficult circumstances and lived. Steven Spielberg's underrated 'Empire of the Sun' comes to mind, ironically coming out 2 years before and having to do with the Japanese occupation of China.
Sep 16, 2010 4:55 PM
Jun 2010
Great movie!
It's so tragic and beautiful at the same time...
10 of 10, without any questions!
Oct 7, 2010 1:45 PM

Jul 2008
Powerful film. Very depressing, but it had to be. What got me was Seita finally letting the tears out after hearing Setsuko talk about their mother and his gradual breakdown while striving to find food. He managed to act manly and bottled up his emotions during the first half, but seeing him in the second half was very saddening.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 17, 2010 1:38 AM

Jul 2010
So basically he killed his sister. Beautiful. What a masterpiece.
Oct 17, 2010 7:53 AM

Jun 2010
danz said:
Their deaths felt unnecessary. I didn't understand why Seita refused to work. That way he could have lived in a house and fed his sister.

Yeah you're right, at that moment I thought "Hey man ! You're gonna die ! ...It's what I call a DEAD man. Killin' his sister x') "
Nov 8, 2010 8:58 AM

Aug 2009
Is it bad that I only got round to watching this film because I had a tin of Sakuma Drops? (the candy in the red tin) They are really yummy!

Heartbreaking. Also, an hour and a half of Kansai-dialect =D
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Nov 9, 2010 12:20 PM

Feb 2009
For the most part of the movie i thought:"Ok,that's depressing and yet why are my eyes dry?" and soon i arrived at the conclusion that all the movie did was depress me,but not realy make me feel anything strong.So...7/10 from me.

danz said:

Their deaths are necessary for the tragedy.It wouldn't be as sad if they didn't die.Ignoring that i totally agree with you.But on the other hand it can also be educational...like:"Pride wont feed you." or "Pride can kill you." ,something among those lines.

Xaviz said:
So basically he killed his sister. Beautiful. What a masterpiece.

Also this.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 27, 2010 12:40 AM
Oct 2010
what makes this even more tragic is that this is a partial biography of the man who authored the novel this film was adapted on. his sister died the same way because of malnutrition but also while scavenging he would feed himself first before bringing the rest back to feed his sister. in his novel he had the brother die in the end just like the film, so you can probably imagine the immense guilt the author must have had even all these years later while writing the book :/

tragic
Jan 1, 2011 8:11 AM

Dec 2009
i started crying within the first 10 minutes, so while i was watching i had to stop several times to get a tissue and by the end i couldn't even see anything, so completing the film took a while.. but it definitely worth watching it.. T__T
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seita

Neo2425 - Jan 1, 2023

21 by CareBear »»
May 16, 2:13 AM

» Grave of the fireflies is not that much sad

Ishow_suii - Nov 16, 2023

25 by CosmicGirl »»
May 13, 3:06 PM

» Rewatch!?!

Jaiakazz - Apr 22

22 by imjayhime »»
Apr 24, 7:55 PM

» Useful for learning the Kansai dialect (J-subs)

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

18 by theSporz »»
Jan 17, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers) ( 1 2 3 4 )

ss4gojetanks - Jul 8, 2011

186 by Neko_myanimelist »»
Jan 9, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.