Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nodame Cantabile
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 7, 2007 11:32 PM

Mar 2007
If so what instrument did you play and is this why you're enjoying the series so much?

Piano for me.

Enjoying the series immensely, all that stuff I learned about music theory is there, with new / different interpretations on it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 7, 2007 11:36 PM

Jan 2007
I love music so i used to play the violin and trombone. Watching Nodame makes me want to pick up the violin again or pick up playing the piano.
Jun 8, 2007 5:04 AM
Jun 8, 2007 11:00 AM

Jan 2007
Aokaado said:
lol faust i also used to play a trombone ^^ =P

hehe awesome. I chose the trombone cause it looked the easiest XD
Jun 8, 2007 12:21 PM

Jan 2007
I played violin, cello and oboe...and I wanted to learn piano, but never did. This series definitely makes me wish I'd stuck with, not that I didn't already regret that. :)
Jun 8, 2007 12:43 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
<-- 8 years of playing the Alto Saxophone. :)
Jun 8, 2007 1:18 PM

May 2007
Played piano in elementary, saxophone in junior high, and guitar in high school. Didn't really stick to any of them other than guitar though. The music was a part of why decided to watch Nodame Cantabile. Love music =)
Jun 8, 2007 2:10 PM
Apr 2007
i played the piano when i was very young but quit after a few months of lessons...and like everyone else, whenever i watch this series, i get the urge to start up on my lessons again...

damn me and my inability to commit to my goals... v_v
Jun 8, 2007 2:11 PM

Apr 2007
Have played euphonium for about seven years now. The music was why a friend could talk me into following the series :D
Jun 8, 2007 2:21 PM
Apr 2007
Meli said:
Have played euphonium for about seven years now. The music was why a friend could talk me into following the series :D

oooohhh! that's awesome...such a different instrument...i still confuse it with the baritone...my dad explained the difference to me a long time ago but i can't remember what he said...

we should start our own MAL orchestra...that would be amazing...lol...although we have 3 piano players and that would just be weird...ha, ha...
Jun 8, 2007 2:36 PM

Apr 2007
hahah, when I was six I wanted to play the tuba, which my dad plays. He put the instrument in front of me and explained why it wouldn't be very practical *coughs*

..so it was better to pick something smaller

duh, we'll give the pianists pianicas and a mongoose costume!
Jun 8, 2007 4:43 PM

Nov 2004
Does the recorder count? Hahaha.

Playing instruments was useless and a waste of money from my parents point of view I think so yeah, didn't learn anything. (Academics take priority) I kind of want to though. I'm talentless because of that.
Jun 8, 2007 4:56 PM

Feb 2007
I first played the baritone, then a real euphonium. I played a bit of bass trombone (suck at pedaltones) for two years. Marched baritone for three years. After I graduated, I stopped playing. I wish I could continue, but I was a barely decent player (never practiced) and I didn't take music in university. If anything, I wish I could learn piano or violin.

Now, the only time I ever play baritone is when my high school invites alumni to "band alumni night" during Homecoming (usually lose, btw :P).
Jun 8, 2007 6:12 PM

Mar 2007
The piano was something I actually nagged my parents into getting me lessons for. Took 6 grades in 6 years and passed. Finished 6th grade practical and 7th grade theory. 8th grade is the last. So 2 more grades and 1 diploma would mean I could give lessons.

Stopped piano at 6th grade after moving to another country (no piano there). I think I had reached the limit of my potential tho. Unlike Nodame my hands are small and I cannot reach an octave. If you play the piano you'll understand what a huge handicap it is if you can't reach octaves, especially for the difficult pieces. I only made it through the 6th grade test because I have good aural skills (listening) and just like Nodame I suck at sight reading! So ... I could have continued but I would never have been concert calibre :( Reality sucks.

Was ok at recorder, sucked even worse at guitar, the minute my fingers bled that was the end of it for me, yes I'm a wimpy wimp!

Really enjoying this series, I'll never be great at the piano but the music appreciation has been ingrained into me now!

P.S. In high school we used to think the orchestra leader guy was some sort of Geeky nerd, then one day he and his buddies played Pachelbel's Canon at a free concert. After that he had a small entourage of fan girls. To this day I have a weakness for Violin playing guys. Chiaki = so sexy!
Jun 8, 2007 8:38 PM
Apr 2007
Meli said:
duh, we'll give the pianists pianicas and a mongoose costume!

not going to lie to you...i'd look awesome in a mongoose costume...

Stormy_77 said:
P.S. In high school we used to think the orchestra leader guy was some sort of Geeky nerd, then one day he and his buddies played Pachelbel's Canon at a free concert. After that he had a small entourage of fan girls.

that's not surprising...i'd fall for a girl instantly who could play canon...the piano rendition though...even though it was originally composed for strings... x_X
Jun 14, 2007 12:27 AM
Jun 2007
Piano first (since 7 years of age T_T), then Violin, and Alto Sax. :D
I thanked my Dad this father's day for being the typical asian-immigrant to force music upon his first generation asian-american children because without all those years of strict lessons and competitions, I wouldn't have come to enjoy music as much as I do today! And I have truly become more appreciative of music, thus Nodame Cantabile roxxorz my soxzors.
Jun 22, 2007 12:58 PM
Sep 2006
majoring in piano right here
Jun 22, 2007 7:31 PM

Oct 2006
I'm not sure I count as a Nodame viewer - I watched the first episode and have been planning to see more, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyway, I played trombone for a handful of years in high school, and I've been playing guitar for a few years now. I've always been fond of violin and piano, and though I recently bought a cheap violin I can't really say I play either.
Jun 22, 2007 9:12 PM

Apr 2007
Back in school I used to play the clarinet. I tried my hand at playing the piano a few years back but didn't get far.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 4, 2007 3:09 AM

Jun 2007
I used to play the violin, but I don't really play it anymore. Still, I learned to appreciate classical music as a child, so I think it helped me to enjoy this show more. I really love classical instruments.
Aug 4, 2007 8:36 PM

Jul 2007
I love music and my favorite anime are the ones that can take a great story, great animation, interesting characters, and great music and package it all together into a single work of art. I play electric bass and guitar; but I love the classics and to listen to classical music more than anything else (well.. except anime OSTs...), so I'm diggin' this.
Aug 13, 2007 11:50 AM
Jul 2007
i played piano when i was in primary school and later on french horn, even in the school orchestra. nodame cantabile brought back some memories,also really cool anime, i like how they tried to show a way to classic music.
dont think the manga will work without the music though.

at my piano lessons we always played technical exercises or classic stuff which i didnt like at all at that age. today i regret giving up the piano, maybe ill start it again.
Aug 13, 2007 1:03 PM

Jul 2007
Bari Sax is my main

Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Drum Set, Violin, Bandoneon, Keyboards, Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar

All self taught, though it do take Jazz lessons on the Tenor sax, which I transfer to the other instruments.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 13, 2007 2:53 PM
Jul 2007
I played the violin for over 11 years, and for a short period of time each, the cello and piano.

I play bass guitar now, but I miss the violin.
Aug 18, 2007 11:06 AM

Mar 2007
I used to play guitar and occasionally do. A friend just begged me to watch this anime and I was sucked in by the character development.
Aug 18, 2007 6:36 PM

Jul 2007
I took piano lessons when I was 9. My family took a baby grand piano on loan while a family friend moved and while we had it I was forced to take lessons from a piano teacher in the neighborhood. She was really strict and used to smack my hands when I misplayed and stomped on my feet when I used the pedals wrong. I learned a lot of music theory but it totally pissed me off and I refused to practice to the abhorrence of my parents. Seems like Nodame had a similar experience when she was little. Well...then the friend took her piano back and my days on the piano were over...

The animation of the classical instruments and the attention to detail with the fingerings of the instruments were really amazing. It added to the realism. I've seen plenty of anime where musical instruments and playing was depicted, but not since Whisper of the Heart have I seen such an attempt at realistic musicianship.

Love this show.
Aug 22, 2007 11:23 AM

May 2007
i played the flute for like 4 years but stoped cause im not really talented at it >.< my music teacher back in middle skool was terrible.........all she did was make the band play the same songs over and over again until it was perfect so that we can preform them............she never taught theory or ANYTHING...........terrible teacher...........then i entered high skool music EXPERIENCED cause i didnt noe my music teacher back then sucked..............and it was HELL..........everyone from our skool band sucked like shit and behind the students from other skools...................omg i had to work so hard in that class to make up and luckily i made it out with a good mark (probably cause the teacher was nice)
lol anyways i really was only watching nc for the romance XP
Aug 23, 2007 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
hmm... i don't play an instrument although years ago i played the bass clarinet (big mistake...i'm EXTREMELY short)
Aug 30, 2007 9:57 AM

Aug 2007
I been playing the piano for over 13 years ^^
Sep 5, 2007 2:56 PM
Sep 2007
I play the flute, but I only had 1 year of lessons, so I don't count myself as being good at it. I want to have lessons again, I love playing the flute!
I had guitar lessons for many years, but it was a total waste of money. I have no talent on the guitar and I never learned any theories or anything that would stick to me throughout the years.
Sep 7, 2007 7:22 PM
Jul 2007
shoganai said:
I took piano lessons when I was 9. My family took a baby grand piano on loan while a family friend moved and while we had it I was forced to take lessons from a piano teacher in the neighborhood. She was really strict and used to smack my hands when I misplayed and stomped on my feet when I used the pedals wrong. I learned a lot of music theory but it totally pissed me off and I refused to practice to the abhorrence of my parents. Seems like Nodame had a similar experience when she was little. Well...then the friend took her piano back and my days on the piano were over...

like shoganai i took piano , for 8 yrs although i suck = P. my family bought a stand up piano. the teacher was one of those asian teachers where he was really strict. he was always upset with me and threw pencils at me or would kick me out of his house. eventually i had enough and quit. now the piano is at my grandmother's house and am kinda living overseas at the moment. so when i eventually get a job again am hoping to buy a stand up piano once again and hopefully play again. = P
Sep 7, 2007 11:10 PM

Jun 2007
Can't play anything. ^^; Unless the recorder counts, and I had a pretty bad experience with it. My parents don't care much for playing musical instruments, or even music in particular, so I didn't go for any music lessons. D: I hope to learn someday though. :D
Sep 28, 2007 10:38 AM
Sep 2007
piano.

and i am dreading to get my hands with the sheet music on nodame's music. and then play them years later...sigh i have no piano with me right now.

anybody who has mp3s of the whole Nodame Cantabile Soundtrack? I get only the OPs and EDs

Oct 6, 2007 10:34 PM

Sep 2007
I play the cello.
There are many that play instruments here, maybe most nodame viewers play something^^
Nov 7, 2007 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
I played piano for around 6 years outside of school and the trumpet/french horn in my school music classes.
Nov 15, 2007 11:10 AM

Dec 2006
I can play the piano and some classic pieces like marchia alla turka and fur elise

though I don't have room and time to play piano anymore

I recognize most of the songs because my father always listened to various classic artists
Dec 8, 2007 7:16 PM

Aug 2007
I played the piano and recorder for 5 years. I'm currently learning the violin, started 5 years ago too~
I actually hate classical music, and I hate playing it too, but I love to watch anime which involve it...
Dec 8, 2007 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
The main reason I started watching this series is because I have been playing the violin for eight years and the piano for twelve years and it's like there's nothing else in the world but me and my two instruments when I play. This series really reminds me of how much I love music because of its wonderful characters and I think that's another reason I appreciate it so much. I also love especially love watching Noda play the piano. I, myself, would love to be able to play that freely someday and I always find myself itching to play after I watch an episode.

I seem to be the only piano student who doesn't have an insanely strict Asian teacher. He even lets me choose the piece I want to study! My violin teacher was actually far more picky even though I still liked him and I am sad that he moved away.
Dec 11, 2007 12:30 AM

Jun 2007
violin.. took private lessons and played in orchestra, quartet [in weddings etc] for around 14 years.. haven't really played much since college though so the series sort of depressed me.. i always feel guilty about giving up on it, so i have trouble watching something like that or listening to classical music without hating myself.

heh.
Jan 8, 2008 10:34 AM

Jan 2008
I played trumpet when I was a youngster, but I am trying to get into the violin now.
May 29, 2008 1:10 AM

May 2008
Nope, I haven't played any instrument ^^
But this fact haven't changed the level of total enjoyment of the show

Ukrainian fansub http://uanime.org.ua
May 29, 2008 1:20 AM

Nov 2007
I played keyboard/piano for years. Though never learned to read music; I played by ear just like Noda does. :D
Jun 17, 2008 3:58 PM

Oct 2007
I don't play any instruments :(
Was going to learn and I signed up when I was 9, but the teacher kept forgetting about me so i gave up without so much as getting my hand on a violin.
We were taught how to play the keyboard in music but no one really learned much.
Watching Nodame Cantabile has made me want to learn an instrument now though. I might try my hand at keyboard again :)
I have big hands and long fingers so i should be good at piano right?

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Jun 17, 2008 3:59 PM

May 2007
I used to play the piano for a bit, but I stopped.

"School is just a distraction from anime" - JOIN THE "I hate school" CLUB!
Nov 4, 2008 3:16 PM

Nov 2007
I took piano classes when i was young but i quit after a short while.

Nov 16, 2008 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
I played piano & trumpet.
Nov 17, 2008 5:53 PM

Aug 2008
i used to play piano for 1 years and now i have guitar cour in skool
Nov 23, 2008 9:01 AM

Dec 2007
I played Piano all three years in middle school. >: I want to get a piano someday and play again because I probably forgot a lot of stuff! D=

I always wanted to play clarinet or something in the Marching Band, but my mom was all to me as a little kid, "Too much money!" To spite her I still found a way in the Marching Band with help from a friend. There was such a thing called a Color Guard which had flags, rifles, sabers, and dance to make the band look pretty. lolz
Nov 23, 2008 8:36 PM

Jun 2008
flute and piano for me...
flute only 4th and 5th grade, piano is self-taught and not progressing well (i'm rather lazy..i've printed out boxes of sheet music under short-lived inspiration..)
but nodame inspires me, especially since i recognize a lot of the pieces.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» from a classical musician's perspective...

sillylovesong - Mar 31

4 by Zedlin »»
May 13, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - May 12, 2008

50 by aquasprite »»
Mar 15, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - May 12, 2008

55 by aquasprite »»
Mar 14, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Episode 6 Discussion

Kimura - May 14, 2008

44 by P0tter »»
Sep 18, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 24, 2008

63 by cornonacob »»
Jul 28, 2023 1:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.