Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 5, 2008 1:11 AM

Jun 2007
Meh. Even though I laughed a couple of times, especially during the tentacle scene, this isn't really my kind of anime... this kind of humour doesn't fit with this kind of series imo.

*drops it*
Apr 5, 2008 2:24 AM

Dec 2007
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT WAS AWESOME!! hahahahahahaha
the gurren lagan bit was crazy! :D
Apr 5, 2008 2:37 AM

Jan 2008
Mixed feelings but I'll watch few more eps before I decide whether to watch the whole series or rop it. References to other works were nice (tentacle scene ftw) but overall nothing impressive so far.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 5, 2008 2:38 AM

Jul 2007
I don't think the actual show will go over the top comedy like it did with this first ep, but I do hope they keep it up to an above average level while still tying in the whole shounen throw to it. Sort of like how Reborn does; just the perfect balance of humor and action.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Apr 5, 2008 4:02 AM

Jun 2007
Zarin said:
Great episode, can't wait to drop it! A Ragnarok story with the stupidity of TTGL's stupidity.

Well I laughed at some points but nothing more.
Apr 5, 2008 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
Suprisingly funny! ^^

I think we can not assume to know anything about the actual story after this very entertaining, but not meaningful first episode.

Nevertheless, I like self-deprecating storylines which have a heart to even make fun of the "usual" anime scripts most fantasy-shows use.

Definitely worth to watch a little longer, from my point of view!

......did I mention that Im addicted to Girls with cat-ears? *grin*
Apr 5, 2008 5:55 AM
Jan 2008
well it looks crap in a way but feels good in another (maybe it's because of the song) anyways, watching it over crunchyroll WITH LARGE SCREEN is definitely a NONO. you'll only stress yourself with dissatisfaction ~_~
Apr 5, 2008 9:09 AM

Aug 2007
The subs were okay, and I got a few laughs out of it so I think I will watch the rest =)
Love Psychological? Join
Pyschological Love =D

Apr 5, 2008 9:39 AM

Apr 2007
... What did I just watch? Really? I was expecting a big, awesome fantasy series, and I meet a comedy (that made me laugh pretty hard) but... My expectations? What do I do with them?

I don't even know if they're really playing an online game or not. Just...

What the hell was that?

Maybe I should treat this as I treat Kyou Kara Maou- yay for RPG-like action, but hooray for the lulz!

Will watch a couple more episodes before deciding what I'll do about it.
MaxwellLilyApr 5, 2008 9:45 AM
Apr 5, 2008 9:45 AM

Sep 2007
Is the "reverse episode" the true first episode?
Apr 5, 2008 12:33 PM
Jul 2007
Welp. I bet this series is where most of the budget went since Kurogane no Linebarrels also to be by Gonzo will have shitty CGI mech.
Apr 5, 2008 2:44 PM

Sep 2007
Serg said:
Welp. I bet this series is where most of the budget went since Kurogane no Linebarrels also to be by Gonzo will have shitty CGI mech.

Blassreiter has some pretty crappy CGI too.
Apr 5, 2008 3:54 PM

Aug 2007
I don't know how you guys can still watch anime on youtube. Veoh is the place to watch. Anyway, first episode made it feel A LOT like Gainex's handywork.
I was at AX....were you?

Apr 5, 2008 4:19 PM

Apr 2007
Zarin said:
Great episode, can't wait to drop it! A Ragnarok story with the stupidity of TTGL's stupidity.

lolwut
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2008 4:59 PM

Dec 2007
Definitely not what I expected lol.... had a few laughs at it though.
Hopefully it will get more serious from here on...
Apr 5, 2008 7:08 PM

Jul 2007
it was pretty hilarious. especially the tentacle scene.
Apr 5, 2008 7:22 PM

Feb 2007
asandari said:
In the end, this episode got a few chuckles out of me. (About as many as the first episode of haruhi, mind you, which I do not regard as a very good comedy) I guess we'll see where it goes from here...
I didn't mind the
myself, though :p

It's legal, and I don't really mind the quality on the youtube release. (Crunchyroll just failed, though). I didn't notice any problems with the subs, not that I usually pay much attention to them.

Very glad that this seems to be working out, a good go for a trial run of sorts.

All I have to say:
Good Job.

I pretty much agree with everything Asandari said. Let's hope GONZO don't screw this one up.
Apr 5, 2008 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't find it all that funny, actually. & not all that entertaining either. I think I'm actually slightly more interested in Blassreiter.

The ED sequence seems to suggest an entirely different cast of characters aside from Jil. Huh.
Apr 5, 2008 7:29 PM

Jul 2007
lolwut?!

"And then 10 years passed...."

Haha anyways I don't know what to make of this series yet, it was quite an overload of action anime clichés but some parts were kind of funny, well I hope episode two is better^^
Apr 5, 2008 7:38 PM

Dec 2007
I thought it was a pretty good first episode, but I don't really see how they can keep that up for 5 episodes let alone however long this series is supposed to be. It did enough to for me to watch the 2nd episode.
Apr 5, 2008 7:46 PM

Jul 2007
nintendonerd said:
I don't know how you guys can still watch anime on youtube. Veoh is the place to watch. Anyway, first episode made it feel A LOT like Gainex's handywork.

The thing is, Gonzo is allowing this series (and Blassreiter) to be put on Youtube, Crunchyroll, and BOST (Youtube having the best-quality free streams). So watching it on those websites is legal (and supports this experimental style of distribution), but watching it on Veoh isn't.

oh, these little earthquakes
Apr 6, 2008 5:58 AM
Feb 2008
For a first ep, I was relying on something for me to start the story off and want me to watch, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT! If I wanted a parody I'd go watch an abridged series or something, but this was pure stupidity, I like comedy but to do that is like episode 00 of Haruhi, and even as a Haruhiist, I hate that episode just as much. Alas, I'm going to give the chance I give to all anime's, if the second episode is good, then it's a keeper.
Apr 6, 2008 8:23 AM
Dec 2007
AnomalousOne said:
nintendonerd said:

The thing is, Gonzo is allowing this series (and Blassreiter) to be put on Youtube, Crunchyroll, and BOST (Youtube having the best-quality free streams). So watching it on those websites is legal (and supports this experimental style of distribution), but watching it on Veoh isn't.

Yes you're right. So everyone, don't watch this anime on fansub or on an unauthorized site, watch it on YouTube since it has the best quality among those 3 !

This episode had some very funny parodic scenes, and the ED is really cool, apart from that it was a pretty average episode, but still it's somehow interesting, I don't know if I'll continue watching it. But we'll see the true cast of characters next time I guess, so I'll wait for one or two more episodes to decide whether this series is good or not !

Overall it was a very good first release of simultaneous subtitles on streaming from Gonzo and its partners. The crunchyroll quality was very poor though, and I didn't even tried BOST since youtube was good.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 6, 2008 8:32 AM

Oct 2007
Loved it. Didn't think it would be that funny. My friend just gave me a link and I had never heard about this anime before. :"D I watched it on Youtube, with surprisingly good quality.

"If you absolutely must fight me... then you'll have to defeat me first!"
Apr 6, 2008 11:00 AM

Sep 2007
At first I was like...oh no -.- not this shit again...and then I got like...fuck the what...
and then it became OMFGWTFFABULOUSBELIEVEINMEWHOBELIEVESINYOU...

I laughed so hard xD
But I'm still a little sceptic if it will be your typical RPG animation or a parody to all RPGs...

Looking forward for more (for now)

Apr 6, 2008 11:03 AM

Jul 2007
Picked this up because I saw Hocchan and Chihara Minori in the cast.. but bleh.. overall, it wasn't very entertaining. It sure had a few laughs ("We have to rescue her!" - "Wait, it's just getting good!", lol) .. but I can't really tell whether this is supposed to be a comedy or ..not a comedy. Well, maybe I also dislike it because it reminds me a lot of Shining Tears x Wind, which was a huge failure.

Maybe I'll give the 2nd ep a chance and then decide on "trash or trasure", or maybe not!
AwesmoeApr 6, 2008 11:08 AM
Apr 6, 2008 11:23 AM

Sep 2007
I really don't know what the fuck I should think about it.
I hope we get to know next episode what this series actually IS.
I hope it won't turn out like our usual RPG-Anime, but I also hope it won't turn out like a weekly Dream telling series..or something like that. >.>

But...I have to admit...they made me wait for the next episode badly. For more than one reason.
Apr 6, 2008 11:53 AM

Feb 2008
There were some amusing moments, but if this is indicative of what is to come, I don't think I will keep this show. Hopefully, the real stuff starts in ep 2.
Apr 6, 2008 12:18 PM

Apr 2007
I don't get why people would rather have it turn into another generic swords and magic themed anime. It should definitely stay an RPG parody anime.
Apr 6, 2008 1:45 PM

Aug 2007
...I really have no say as to what happened...Was Gonzo trying to be funny or something? >_> The humour was pretty bland imo.

I'll expect more next episode then..
Apr 6, 2008 3:34 PM

Aug 2007
I couldnt remember how long i would find a parody so funny... I just laughed from the beginning to the end xD. And Air Gear Reference omg lolzord xD

I agree with the ppl who say this should remain a parody. Jesus i would give it a 10.
Apr 6, 2008 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
MM805 said:
I don't get why people would rather have it turn into another generic swords and magic themed anime. It should definitely stay an RPG parody anime.

Indeed, indeed.
If it tries to develop a serious plot, I'm dropping it.
Apr 6, 2008 4:50 PM

Jan 2007
i thought this was pretty funny. loved all the in jokes they made.
Apr 6, 2008 5:23 PM

Nov 2007
Found this at psgel's blog :

“For those who watched an episode of Tower of Druaga and was like “WTF???” at it, please be aware that there are two versions of the first episode with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORYLINES. XDDD”

Apparently, there’s an “omote” (front) and an “ura” (back) version of the same episode. I’m… not really sure how that works, but it’s kind of intriguing me. (:

Okay, could someone explain me just what the fuck is with these "two" versions of the first episode ? In the one we saw, it was a huge dream sequence, and in the "real" one (I believe it can be found on nicovideo... without subs or whatever), there's some real storyline about what was happening while Jil was asleep ?

WTF ?

Was Gonzo fucking with us, giving us this parody while avoiding the clearly serious and epic heroic fantasy anime they promised ?
Are they gonna do the same thing for each episode ? Subliminally showing us that these free and fast streamed versions are nothing but schemes to decieve us ? I'm already hearing their : "GO buy the deeveedees, you greedy bastards !"
If they do the same thing for each episode, we are in a deep shit.
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Apr 6, 2008 7:28 PM

Sep 2007
@ Windspirit: iirc, the "real" episode one hasn't been aired anywhere on TV - it's only available for streaming. It's going to be available on DVD, as you said, but it isn't really important to understand what happened. Just a bonus with extra info for people who liked the series. After this episode, I'm confident that we'll be moving on to the main storyline (which is hopefully as awesome as this parody).
Apr 6, 2008 10:58 PM

Mar 2008
I dont like the way the episode ended. it feels like its actually going to turn into a serious fantasy anime and drop the brilliant RPG parody, although i guess they did just paraody the entire RPG genre in 1 episode,what else is there to parody? Well, lets just pray for the best people. hopefully it wont change.

Man, i still can't believe they put that roper bit in.
Apr 7, 2008 8:33 AM
Jun 2007
omfg i felt like i was laughing for 20 minutes straight >.<
Moderator Edit: Signature deleted. Please re-read the General Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2008 11:25 AM

Oct 2007
This show was just plain silly.

I approve ;)

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Apr 7, 2008 12:02 PM

Apr 2007
Windspirit said:
In the one we saw, it was a huge dream sequence, and in the "real" one (I believe it can be found on nicovideo... without subs or whatever), there's some real storyline about what was happening while Jil was asleep ?

That's pretty much it from what I read and gathered. I dunno if they're going to do this for every episode, but something tells me (and I'm hoping too) that they aren't. The preview for the next episode didn't seem humorous, and the synopsis for the show didn't indicate any kind of humorous content that I noticed. If anything, this first episode gives me serious "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina" vibes. Gonzo's just having a real laugh. If you want to see what the show's about, you gotta pay and see the "reverse" episode.

http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/2008/04/06/theres-more-to-tower-of-druaga-01-than-meets-the-eye/

http://blog.seiha.org/?p=755
MaxwellLilyApr 7, 2008 12:07 PM
Apr 7, 2008 12:29 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lmao, what the hell. That wasn't bad, very amusing. I wonder if it'll stay like this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 7, 2008 2:48 PM
Apr 2008
Wow, I was expecting something serious. But as I watched and with a little help of the J-ska OP, I could tell it wasn't. It did make me laugh, though. They did a good job sattiring cliche hero scenes. Can't wait to see more.
Apr 7, 2008 3:29 PM

Jul 2006
I loved the OP. I loved the ED.
And the episode itself was just hillarious!
The Gurren-Lagann reference and the tentacle scene really cracked me up!

"What is this power?" XD

Parody really is one of the best humor types.

Wow, I'm reall looking forward to more of this.

Apr 7, 2008 10:14 PM

Aug 2007
gah! That was amazing, hahahha.
Loved it.

Please check out my artwork! http://icespectra.deviantart.com/
Apr 8, 2008 12:56 AM

Nov 2007
haha i definetely was going wtf u serious while laughing. strangely ill stick around to see a couple more episodes and see where it goes.
Apr 8, 2008 4:15 AM

Jan 2008
It's OK for me. A few laughs.
Though pretty damn random.

我爱你

Apr 8, 2008 1:10 PM

Feb 2008
hilarious! laughed from start till end, maybe couse i was expecting something serious :p ah well i'm gonna keep watching this one
Apr 8, 2008 4:39 PM

Aug 2007
omg wow. Didn't expect this to be such a comedy.

-UTUUUU!
-Tentacle rape!
-Dark....no Great....no Black Knight-o!
-Getting married
Apr 8, 2008 6:12 PM

Jan 2008
omg that was SO HILARIOUS im so gonna keep watching this
Apr 9, 2008 1:57 AM

Oct 2007
I may have grinned a couple of times and chuckled slightly once or twice, but I waas pretty bored the whole time. I just don't get the comments saying this show was "crapped my pants" hilarious. I think I've laughed more during a funeral. I will give this series one more episode, but as of now, I'm heavily leaning towards dropping it unless something spectacular happens next ep.
Apr 9, 2008 3:38 AM

Apr 2007
I finally watched the thing properly, and it wasnt quite as funny as when i just skipped through the ep at first, probably cause i already knew what was coming and all. It was still good and i still have faith this is going to be good gonzo here. Looking forward to more
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Windspirit - Jun 20, 2008

118 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 31, 2023 5:34 AM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 9 Discussion

RAVENKam - May 30, 2008

35 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 31, 2023 3:58 AM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 11 Discussion

Bunji - Jun 13, 2008

39 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 13, 2022 2:20 AM

» I Just want to know about something the happened at the anime.

AyanDrako - Oct 4, 2020

1 by mottowers »»
Jan 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 7 Discussion

Queen - May 16, 2008

28 by KR_P »»
May 8, 2020 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.