Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 17, 2010 8:00 AM

Jan 2010
I think she was. I watched first with other subs, saying that: "I know that first hand" or something, and I had the felling that she was there at the time.

edit: first had replaced with first hand
Natsuka_ChieFeb 17, 2010 8:36 AM
Feb 17, 2010 8:31 AM

Oct 2009
Natsuka_Chie said:
I think she was. I watched first with other subs, saying that: "I know that first had" or something, and I had the felling that she was there at the time.
If so then it would be great to see a past with her in it and the trauma she saw other than the one Filicia saw with her eyes.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 17, 2010 9:40 AM
Nov 2008
Now THIS is what I've been waiting for! I knew this type of story was waiting to be told. Great backstory on Felicia, Rioa, and the war itself, and it seems we've only touched the beginning. I hope we get some more of these stories during this season. Can't wait for more!
Feb 17, 2010 1:24 PM

Aug 2008
Obviously the "princess" chick and Rio are related, I mean, they have the same character model, hair style, and the little bell AND the old guy recognized Rio. Does this make Rio a princess?

Feb 17, 2010 2:44 PM
Jan 2009
Whenever someone's going to go "moefags" again when confronted with Sora no Oto, I'll tell him about the burning lolis I witnessed and the zombie telling a hallucinating woman about the nuclear holocaust. Feels good.

Also, the way they changed the pace of the episode from the war-related part to the festival at the end was very well done.
Feb 17, 2010 3:42 PM

Aug 2009
Awful. Getting even absurd than before. Making no sense. I'm feeling like the script is being made as episode goes one by one, not finished from the start. *OMG people's thinking this anime is moeshit! Let's change the script and drop some whiny sad war scene! Yey! Mission success!*

There is nothing 'deep'. It just pretends to be deep.
Feb 17, 2010 5:43 PM

Sep 2009
Holy fuck. Sora no Woto just serioused all over our faces, and we still don't know what's going on.

I like it for what it is, even though it is confusing as all get out at this point. I have that weird taste where I like it when my moeshit suddenly gets dark and the characters suffer a bit. It gives them a real-life feeling to their overall development.

I'm also a sap, so I got choked up pretty bad with the whole group-hug shenanigans. Festival tells that Kureha's parents are dead, Rio's mom and sister are dead, and Noel is still as mysterious as ever. |:

So, yeah, anyone else cringe at the massive cut on Felicia's hand?
-
Feb 17, 2010 9:35 PM

Jul 2009
francismeunier said:
OK some bad translation of the anime made me want to check another subber and it helped. Apparently the title of the next episode seems more to me that it will a exercise so it will be left to see. Also does this (subs are different)=>
does it meant that Noel was at the fight of 21 as a kid?

thanks for posting another subber, it helped me understand it more
I originally thought that Noel saying that she knew it firsthand meant that she had met Noel shortly after the battle. I didnt expect her to be in the same battle as Filicia

Goo4 said:
There is nothing 'deep'. It just pretends to be deep.

I dont think this anime was ever intended to be deep, and it still isnt. I still find it enjoyable though as it is likely to turn into a tragedy w/at least 1 character dying at the end.
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Feb 18, 2010 2:18 AM
Apr 2009
Ah great, now it's trying to be deep.
Feb 18, 2010 3:48 AM

Jan 2010
This is the first episode that has disappointed me.

Flashbacks can be useful but it seemed that they tied up the entire episode. I hope that there are zero plans to do this for each of the main characters.
Feb 18, 2010 8:00 AM
Dec 2008
Mockman said:

Flashbacks can be useful but it seemed that they tied up the entire episode. I hope that there are zero plans to do this for each of the main characters.

I don't think they will, since everyone in the cast has had her own introduction episode already.
Feb 18, 2010 9:33 AM

Feb 2010
This episode was really good, finally a episode that actually showed the war, and I loved that spider tanks actions in the beginning.

I think the series may become more serious for now on. Since that in the next episode's preview they tell something about "we have an emergency".
Feb 18, 2010 12:04 PM

Apr 2008
First off I loved this episode. The flashbacks were great.

Now for what we have learned and what we think we might know.

First learned fact Filicia and Noel are combat veterens. How do we know this, well first the much of this episode showed Filicia in combat. How do we "know" that Noel was in combat. Well Noel in a previos episode Noel talked about shooting and killing. Second we have the fact that Noel herself stated that she had personal knowledge about the events that Filicia went through. Lastly as has been pointed out both Filicia and Noel's uniforms are slightly different from the others this is a more subtle way of showing this.

Next we know that there has been a very long war or series of wars that have A. decimated the environment to the point where large bodies of water have no life in them and large stretches of land that have been rendered uninhabitalbe.

We also know or can reasonably infer that the level of technology is much less than what it was befor the Confilct(s) started. They do have a tech base though. From what I have seen it is best described as post WWI or slightly behind. The evidence for this is most evident in the level of transportation that is being used. Railroads, motorized vehichles both military and privately owned (this means infrastructure to make the fuel and parts). We also had a good example of light industry in the glass works. We also saw a telephone which points to a certain level of tech base.

Other bits: we know that at some point their education system broke down and the ability to read certain thing was lost and the fact that the school is now used as part of the fort. However people can still read the best explanation for this is that when the civilian government broke down the dominate language was lost and smaller lesser known languages survived in less devestated areas. Then as government reaserts itself the new language will be used.

What will happen next. I go for surviving aliens to make a brief comeback from the uninhabitated zone and the girls getting the most advanced tank fixed just in time to help defeat the last suriving enemy thus saving humanity and allowing the world to heal itself.
Feb 18, 2010 12:37 PM

Oct 2009
southdkotaboy said:

First learned fact Filicia and Noel are combat veterens. How do we know this, well first the much of this episode showed Filicia in combat. How do we "know" that Noel was in combat. Well Noel in a previos episode Noel talked about shooting and killing. Second we have the fact that Noel herself stated that she had personal knowledge about the events that Filicia went through. Lastly as has been pointed out both Filicia and Noel's uniforms are slightly different from the others this is a more subtle way of showing this.

Very logical just one problem.....Noel is not as old as Filicia so she must have been 12 or 11 at the time of her fight and so how the heck did she survive? I thinking she was involved at the innocent base....could be also a good explanation of why she is so quiet.
southdkotaboy said:
Next we know that there has been a very long war or series of wars that have A. decimated the environment to the point where large bodies of water have no life in them and large stretches of land that have been rendered uninhabitalbe.

Must have to do with that nuclear beam thing that I made a GIF of.
southdkotaboy said:
We also know or can reasonably infer that the level of technology is much less than what it was befor the Confilct(s) started. They do have a tech base though. From what I have seen it is best described as post WWI or slightly behind. The evidence for this is most evident in the level of transportation that is being used. Railroads, motorized vehichles both military and privately owned (this means infrastructure to make the fuel and parts). We also had a good example of light industry in the glass works. We also saw a telephone which points to a certain level of tech base.

Now that is what I call very nice logic I never though of like that..nice one. Do you assume lost civilization also contributed to the slowness....we know some races helped others logically in their tech advancement.
southdkotaboy said:
Other bits: we know that at some point their education system broke down and the ability to read certain thing was lost and the fact that the school is now used as part of the fort. However people can still read the best explanation for this is that when the civilian government broke down the dominate language was lost and smaller lesser known languages survived in less devestated areas. Then as government reaserts itself the new language will be used.

You are referring to the dead soldier's writing as a example.
southdkotaboy said:
What will happen next. I go for surviving aliens to make a brief comeback from the uninhabitated zone and the girls getting the most advanced tank fixed just in time to help defeat the last suriving enemy thus saving humanity and allowing the world to heal itself.

No way, unless you mean human races not seen before suddenly appearing...the only thing I am thinking in this sense is that skeletal body in episode 1.

Feb 18, 2010 1:05 PM

Sep 2009
Only those people who never had watched [Sora no Woto] are still comparing it to K-ON.

and

Only those people who have a stoneheart could not love [Sora no Woto].

>.<
Feb 18, 2010 1:42 PM
Jan 2009
Here's a nice summary of /a/'s speculations about SnW I fetched yesterday in one of those countless threads.

Thought you guys might be interested.

Feb 18, 2010 2:43 PM

Feb 2010
Tatynin said:

>.<

Closed-minded's also might be included...
Feb 18, 2010 3:40 PM

Apr 2008
francismeunier said:
southdkotaboy said:

Very logical just one problem.....Noel is not as old as Filicia so she must have been 12 or 11 at the time of her fight and so how the heck did she survive? I thinking she was involved at the innocent base....could be also a good explanation of why she is so quiet.

Well at no point is Noel's age ever expressly given. She could be alot older than what people just assume. Remember she is both a piolet and a mechanic both skills that have taken sometime to learn. That being said she could very well have been very young durning the battle that has been shown in the show.

I base this on the history of both of the major wars faught in Europe. Both time the Germans were forced to use very young soliders in the final years, months and days of the war. In WWI German had front line troops as young as 15. In the final weeks of WWII the German Army was sending members of the Hitler Youth to the front armed with anti-tank rockets. Allied soliders hated these boys because they knew no fear and would take insane risks to complete their "missions".
With that in mind Noel could have been on the front line at that time. If the flash back was one of the final battles of the war/conflict it makes even more sense that she was there. It would also go along way towards explaining her behavior.
Feb 18, 2010 5:18 PM

Jan 2010
southdkotaboy said:

Well at no point is Noel's age ever expressly given. She could be alot older than what people just assume. Remember she is both a pilot and a mechanic both skills that have taken sometime to learn. That being said she could very well have been very young durning the battle that has been shown in the show.

Well if you go to Noël's page on the website: http://www.sorawoto.com/chara/chara04.html

it says her age is 15
Feb 18, 2010 5:39 PM

Aug 2008
These episodes go by far too fast. ;__;
Feb 18, 2010 5:41 PM

Apr 2008
Natsuka_Chie said:
southdkotaboy said:

Well at no point is Noel's age ever expressly given. She could be alot older than what people just assume. Remember she is both a pilot and a mechanic both skills that have taken sometime to learn. That being said she could very well have been very young durning the battle that has been shown in the show.

Well I can't read Japanese but I will take your word for it :)

The idea that she has seen some sort of combat is still possible. Depending on how long ago the war ended or she could have been involved in some sort of after war suppression of lawlessness. The reasoning for this is that after many of the major conflicts there is often a period where the central government of the losing side is unable to keep complete order inside of it's borders.

Well if you go to Noël's page on the website: http://www.sorawoto.com/chara/chara04.html

it says her age is 15
Feb 18, 2010 7:46 PM

Apr 2009
:) Interesting to see she's a princess?
Feb 18, 2010 9:23 PM

Jul 2009
Faytz said:
Tatynin said:

>.<

I really enjoy this anime
but i am a strong advocate of the idea that no anime is for everyone regardless of how good it is.
so would have to disagree that only the stonehearted and closed-minded would dislike Sora no Woto
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

Feb 18, 2010 10:05 PM

Feb 2010
Asukai-san said:

but i am a strong advocate of the idea that no anime is for everyone regardless of how good it is.
so would have to disagree that only the stonehearted and closed-minded would dislike Sora no Woto

I agree with that, for me is always acceptable that everyone has its own opinions about a story and if it is good or not according to their own judgement. But I just said in that case that closed-minded's are also included - not the only ones - and was more to that ones that might deslike by comparing it to the whole K-ON! series without even give it a try to see how good or bad actually is.
FaytzFeb 18, 2010 10:12 PM
Feb 18, 2010 10:09 PM

Oct 2009
southdkotaboy said:
francismeunier said:
southdkotaboy said:

Well at no point is Noel's age ever expressly given. She could be alot older than what people just assume. Remember she is both a piolet and a mechanic both skills that have taken sometime to learn. That being said she could very well have been very young durning the battle that has been shown in the show.

I base this on the history of both of the major wars faught in Europe. Both time the Germans were forced to use very young soliders in the final years, months and days of the war. In WWI German had front line troops as young as 15. In the final weeks of WWII the German Army was sending members of the Hitler Youth to the front armed with anti-tank rockets. Allied soliders hated these boys because they knew no fear and would take insane risks to complete their "missions".
With that in mind Noel could have been on the front line at that time. If the flash back was one of the final battles of the war/conflict it makes even more sense that she was there. It would also go along way towards explaining her behavior.
Oh I agree with you because apprently it's the same thing in Africa where guerrillas use child soldiers for their dirty work and so proves your point of WW1 and WW2 but at 15 I would assume I am right for Noel. Knowledge wise she must have had relatives taught her many things or books about it which means relatives being in the field...I am more than ever interested in her family from this point.

Feb 19, 2010 5:11 PM

Nov 2007
It was nice to see the festival.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Feb 19, 2010 10:26 PM

May 2008
I really prefer Kana's views on religion. I relate to her every time spirituality comes up. Her comfortableness with the spirits as like other humans, being possibly either pure or impure. Her excitement over festivals and happy honorable attitude towards the spirits.

Anyway, clearly a more military episode. And the event possibly a slight plot building one.
I'm even more curious now as to what happened to the ecosystem. This would be far more than a slice of life show if they discovered some horrible disease and spent time fighting against it and saved their world or something like that. And it would make for some great entertainment.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 20, 2010 2:24 AM

Dec 2008
That was not really my favorite episode but it was ok

some heavy tank action *load heat* *baam*
sorry I played too much M1 Tank Platoon 2 in my life XD

a little more backround story would have been nice
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2010 3:47 PM

Jun 2009
I'm confused how a trumpet on a noisy, mechanized battlefield is supposed to, um, you know, be heard...
Feb 21, 2010 12:12 AM

Jul 2009
Spookt said:
I'm confused how a trumpet on a noisy, mechanized battlefield is supposed to, um, you know, be heard...

A trumpets sound carries quite far and is quite strong
so it can probably be heard for quite some distance even if there is a lot of bg noise
Asukai-san said:
Faytz said:
Tatynin said:

>.<

Faytz said:
Asukai-san said:

I agree with that, for me is always acceptable that everyone has its own opinions about a story and if it is good or not according to their own judgement. But I just said in that case that closed-minded's are also included - not the only ones - and was more to that ones that might deslike by comparing it to the whole K-ON! series without even give it a try to see how good or bad actually is.

I will agree with you that if someone is denouncing it just because of the the K-ON art similarity then they no nothing about the anime itself, as the plot is nothing like K-ONs, and thus have no real grounds to say anything bad about it.
kg-san said:

Feb 21, 2010 3:29 AM

Dec 2008
Spookt said:
and why must a person go out of the tank to make the signal ;D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2010 10:43 AM

Feb 2010
Asukai-san said:
I will agree with you that if someone is denouncing it just because of the the K-ON art similarity then they no nothing about the anime itself, as the plot is nothing like K-ONs, and thus have no real grounds to say anything bad about it.

Yeah, exactly. And I know some friends who refused to watch it and already deslike it just by comparing it to K-ON! that's why I included closed minded. I was not saying that everyone except them must like or anything like that, so I totally agree with your opinion that no anime is for everyone, in fact even you and I would might deslike it since the series isn't finished yet, right? :D

Fabienne said:
Spookt said:
and why must a person go out of the tank to make the signal ;D

To cordenate the foot soldiers and the rest of the battalion about their advances/positions/situation maybe? I don't really get it too, since would be more racional create some signal by using the tank itself.
Feb 21, 2010 2:34 PM

Aug 2009
Faytz said:
Tatynin said:

>.<

So, I'm closed-minded stoneheart just because I'm disliking this anime? >_> cool logics bro. This might your cup of tea, but its not mine.

Asukai-san said:
Faytz said:
Asukai-san said:

Lol accept the truth, the first few episode had really that K-On atmosphere with Kanata trumpet faggotry. What's so wrong with dropping this anime for K-on alike? Why is it close minded?... >_> Why avoiding similar cup of tea that someone hates is stone hearted? I can find no basis of saying that.

I mean seriously. I disapprove this sudden hype going on with this anime. Nothing actually advanced from the start... Only thing I liked is spider CG tanks that is contradictory to the circumstance itself.
Feb 21, 2010 8:50 PM

Aug 2008
Was that a wing? What the heck are they fighting?
"Cicadas, even though their lives last only a few weeks, fall in love and disappear"

~Heed the roar of the mighty ocelot~
Feb 21, 2010 10:31 PM

May 2008
Sora no Woto resembles K-On mostly in art design. The military trumpet thing is really quite a bit different from the high school band thing. And it far more resembles several other anime.

Feb 22, 2010 7:26 AM

Oct 2009
masterhoopla said:
Was that a wing? What the heck are they fighting?
That's exactly what I though. So the beam thing came out from a monster that is connected most likely to that skeleton that Kanata saw in the beginning.

Feb 22, 2010 7:29 PM

Jul 2008
Alexstratz said:
Woa woa woa woa, what the heck? There's actually war in this anime? Either they planned this in advance or they listened to the audience.

Actually except when it's a long running series most if not all the episode are made before the first one even air, saying that they are listening to the audience work on long run series such as most mainstream but mean nothing here.

Anyway good episode
Feb 23, 2010 3:17 AM

Feb 2010
I guess I have to admit, this was the episode yet. But I never thought felicia was the type to have a sad past like that.

The lines were pretty cheesy, but I liked them :P

Feb 23, 2010 4:22 AM

May 2008
How is it cheesy to say something blatantly true?
If anything, it's kind of sad that coming to this obvious realization is a character development for many people in anime.

I actually don't hear that statement all THAT often in anime. I more often hear them wallowing around in sadness trying to find life's "purpose", and then finally get sorta better and halfway realize something like this. And just say something like "well I've found people to protect that's the meaning of life" shounen garbage.

Saying that there's no meaning in life, and therefor you can make whatever of life you want, it a great statement. Why is that cheesy? It's better than what most characters say by far.

Feb 23, 2010 2:34 PM

Aug 2008
kerlyenai said:

"Quelque chose comme Dupont"...

A rather good episode which showed also revealed a little background about the imaginary world of "Sora no Woto". Perhaps we can expect more depth still in the episodes to come.
Man, i forgot what that meant...
Anyways, we finally get to see why this is a war anime.
Feb 23, 2010 7:09 PM

Jun 2008
southdkotaboy said:
Next we know that there has been a very long war or series of wars that have A. decimated the environment to the point where large bodies of water have no life in them and large stretches of land that have been rendered uninhabitalbe
I just have to comment on this. It is possible with nukes for this to happen, but somehow the land doesn't seem to have the radioactive effect like it should. So that would have to mean that there was some kind of nuclear-free weapon of mass destruction that decimated the land.
The water, I'm iffy on that part. You'd have to somehow affect the 70%+ of what covers the earth all at once, or at least very quickly. I can't see this happening. IN fact, the waters would have to be evaporated for all life to just disappear. Maybe just the large lifeform were destroyed.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 24, 2010 11:50 AM

May 2009
What the hell brought the end of the world upon them? We didn't get a clear view of it. Some kind of winged creature, probably the skeleton seen in the first episode? Well, this was probably one of my favorite episodes of the anime. It was kinda emotional, I liked that. And it was nice to see all the flashbacks.
Feb 25, 2010 11:13 AM

Mar 2008
I'm glad this series is becoming more serious. Although the role of the trumpet girl made little sense, they could easily make a signal from the thank.
Feb 25, 2010 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
Here's the thing. Military's are slow to adapt some methods in wartime situations. Recall that the British forces marched in lines during the American Revolution. They were basically a shooting gallery for the guerrilla American forces that used a much more freeform design. It's likely the same thing here. The Helvetia military is hanging on to an archaic method of signaling because they never saw the need to change things before the war started. It's like a massive beacon that says "Shoot me!" and thus why the enemy sent a tank to flank them.
Feb 25, 2010 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
War is a bad thing. Finally some serious and emotional background. THe best episode so far, but the story needs more explanations...
Feb 27, 2010 8:20 PM

Dec 2007
This episode have nice development and emotional background for Felicia, and it actually have a good plot this time.
gameoffreak8Feb 27, 2010 8:24 PM
Feb 28, 2010 7:13 AM
Jul 2008
CkretAznMan said:
kerlyenai said:

"Quelque chose comme Dupont"...

A rather good episode which showed also revealed a little background about the imaginary world of "Sora no Woto". Perhaps we can expect more depth still in the episodes to come.
Man, i forgot what that meant...
Anyways, we finally get to see why this is a war anime.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but if you are, as I think, wondering about the meaning of those French words well then here it is: "Something like Dupont". Pretty simple. :)
It's what Felicia writes at the end of the list of names on the lamp she sets afloat. It refers to the dead soldier whose identity she doesn't know. "Dupont" is an extremely common French name (like Smith in the UK) hence probably her decision to write that. Literally "Dupont" means "from the Bridge" but perhaps that is too much information. :P
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Mar 2, 2010 4:03 AM

May 2009
I'm sick of all that teasing... now they brought war-scenes, but in flashback sequences, so... is there anything actually going to happen or was that the last we've seen of combat situation?
Please, I need some active escalating conflict in this series, or else I can't get myself to like it^^
Mar 4, 2010 3:31 AM

Jan 2008
Mar 5, 2010 4:43 AM
Mar 2010
For those wondering about the significance of using a bugle caller in the midst of battle like that, here's my guess:

There were probably no other means of communication. As I have seen in the eps so far, there weren't any wireless communication found. Using the bugle call was probably a means for calling infantry back up on that situation. If only there were infantry to support them, they would've easily spotted that soldier that out flanked them hence the "ROCKET AT 3'00---!! *BOOOM!*"

Best episode btw.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

porkypink - Jan 4, 2010

384 by Ui »»
May 8, 11:31 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

264 by SX6 »»
Jan 17, 11:28 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.