Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 17, 4:30 PM
Apr 2022
When it comes to anime, anime not just set in japan but also set in every corner of the world including western world or european-esque fantasy setting, when i was watching anime on western european or american setting, i just watching it on english dub than japanese.

but there something that bother me and think of it example when watching something like Princess Principal, Vinland Saga or JoJo , where every character speak japanese even when speak to foreign and they are understand people like Chise or Horikawa or in episode 6 of Vinland Saga when Thorfinn was take care by English women and her granddaughter and when the viking invade the village Thorfinn was trying to warn the people, but they are not understand english (although everyone speaking japanese ) and there something like Appare-ranman where when the two main character in america everyone can speak japanese.

i think the english dub of that anime will giving an opportunity like using an right accent for the character in the setting or foreigners have some create unique than what japan just use some sophisticated dialect on noble or rich character and if the anime is set on non england or america they may not use accent but they could use some phrase of that language example like Maria the virgin witch and Jojo part 5.

so in my opinion i like watching anime that set in western with english dub for the better unique authenticity
Aug 17, 7:22 PM

Jul 2024
funtime43_tr said:
i like watching anime that set in western with english dub for the better unique authenticity

Thats certainly an interesting idea and I have done it myself.. But since dub always comes after subs, I watched the anime that already aired.. Not seasonals..
Aug 17, 7:26 PM

Aug 2017
No even if the Anime is not set in Japan, japanese culture/customs still are going to influence such Anime in the first place. Also dub is cultural appropriation. Japanese language is beautiful.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 17, 7:50 PM
Oct 2019
Except you don't get authenticity since dub are made cheap with scrapping budget the only real dub in the industry are the one from the studio Ghibli movies who actually get a budget. All the rest are made with a very limited budget especially the Sentai Filmworks one(like princess Principal). If your argument would be that you prefer to hear English over Japanese fine but authenticity hell no not with how things work in the US with the Union vs Non-Union dub.
Aug 17, 7:57 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to Nurguburu
No even if the Anime is not set in Japan, japanese culture/customs still are going to influence such Anime in the first place. Also dub is cultural appropriation. Japanese language is beautiful.
@Nurguburu how are dubs cultural appropriation?
Aug 17, 8:27 PM

Feb 2023
Reply to Nurguburu
@Nurguburu Glad to see some people understanding this. It's weird how some people think that localizers are promoting social justice, when they do nothing to actually help anybody who is truly marginalized. Every trans person I met hated the localizers screwing up the Onimai localized subtitles.

Hitler talked about how Japanese culture was only good due to "aryan influence", so he would love these localizers at 4kids and Crunchyroll.

The people who support dubs and localizers online are performative activists who never liked anime in the first place, and aren't good at hiding it.
Aug 17, 8:50 PM

Mar 2008
Dubs can work well for that in some cases but depends how it is done and if the setting is legit to begin with. Like in Saint Cecilia & Pastor Lawrence the setting clearly was Ireland or based on Ireland even had lore accurate faeries but they had White Day, a holiday from Asia. There also is the issue some accents may not be able to convey the same emotions as intended by the original director and voice actors.
Aug 17, 9:02 PM

Oct 2013
I will say this. If I do watch a dub, I’d prefer it to be set I’m a non Japanese setting. English voice actors saying certain Japanese words or names can sound off sometimes.
Aug 17, 9:02 PM
Jul 2024
Some settings, dubs just work BETTER. Hellsing Ultimate comes to mind. No reason would Europeans speak Japanese. The British speak English with a British accent. The Nazi's either speak accented English with German or straight German. It WORKS. It works way better than the Sub did. Sorry, but it's the facts.
Aug 17, 9:22 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere
@Nurguburu Glad to see some people understanding this. It's weird how some people think that localizers are promoting social justice, when they do nothing to actually help anybody who is truly marginalized. Every trans person I met hated the localizers screwing up the Onimai localized subtitles.

Hitler talked about how Japanese culture was only good due to "aryan influence", so he would love these localizers at 4kids and Crunchyroll.

The people who support dubs and localizers online are performative activists who never liked anime in the first place, and aren't good at hiding it.
@ForgotEyeWasHere
In many cases I think benefit of doubt can be given where it isn't so much intentional insert of political activism or whatever as it is heavy bias of views influencing their interpretations of lines and story or sometimes just missing the cultural context thinking it isnt significant. Only a very small number intentionally do that. In case of dubs lines have to be altered more to match lip flaps too though but often they arent that close even in the raw except closeup shots and large gesture words. For censorship of scenes rather than lines i dont know who makes those decisions.
Aug 17, 9:31 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere

I don't know if watching shows with an English/American setting will make the show more engaging for me, but if it works for you, then go for it, OP!

ForgotEyeWasHere said:

"Don't watch dubs or use Crunchyroll, cuz Hitler would like it" is perhaps the worst take I have seen on any topic on MAL.
KittenCuddlerAug 17, 10:56 PM
Aug 17, 10:05 PM

Sep 2008
@funtime43_tr, If anime is set in France, Italy or Germany you will watch this series with French, Italian or German dubbing?
Aug 17, 10:19 PM

Oct 2018
Yes, that's what I do.

If the show is in USA, England of any English country I watch dubbed in English. If the show takes place in Europe, it'll be French, Spanish, Italian or even Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese dubbing is great.

Actually, anime itself is dubbed, so I don't see any difference between Japanese dubbing and USA dubbing, they are all great, every single dubbing is great, I love dubbing so much.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Aug 17, 10:29 PM

Jul 2022
That means watching World Masterpiece Theater in German, Italian, Finnish , French , American English and British English. The Von Trapp family speaking Japanese in Austria and Heidi speaking Japanese in Switzerland.
SPTLayznerAug 17, 10:41 PM
Aug 17, 11:01 PM

Sep 2008
@Phosphophyllita, what with series does not have a dubbing of country in which story takes place?
You will pick Japanese dubbing or skip?
Aug 17, 11:06 PM

Mar 2008
Actually I wonder if anyone ever just mixes and matches different countries dubs melded together. Like if a character only speaks German even in the raw insert the German dub actor? Lol If they speak English insert an English actor and so on.
Yesterday, 3:55 AM

Sep 2016
I don't care about foreign setting authenticity in anime, because the industry hardly cares about it either.

One of the best ways to handle this language issue is how Mushoku Tensei did it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 4:10 AM

Mar 2021
funtime43_tr said:
so in my opinion i like watching anime that set in western with english dub for the better unique authenticity

Just watch Japanese Anime whatever way you want, dubbed in English or not. I don't think anyone would care if you watched Anime that takes place in Japan dubbed in English either.

Though makes me wonder would that mean you would rather watch "Saga of Tanya the Evil" in German if you could? or even "The Case Study of Vanitas" in French?

Whenever I watch any Hong Kong Kung-Fu theater film I always watch it dubbed in Spanish if I can just because I find it 100 times more hilarious to watch it that way (Though it should be noted I am multilingual and understand Spanish spoken along with understanding Japanese, English, Hanguk, and some Cantonese spoken as well now). I have literally watched almost every Jackie Chan film from the 80s in Spanish now. lol

I some times even do the same thing when watching Japanese Anime but dubbed in English instead (Because sometimes it makes it 100 time more hilarious just for me specifically when watching Anime when they use stuff like honorifics and references to things that are not native to western culture or even sometimes vice versa of references to things that are not even native to Japanese culture). I was laughing my ass off once when watching an episode of Lupin the 3rd dubbed in English when Jigen makes a reference to "Shaq" in a Anime series that aired back in the 70s (Shaq wasn't even a teenager when Lupin the 3rd part:2 aired in Japan).

I just have a weird sense of humor, sometimes...
ColourWheelYesterday, 5:01 AM
Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Aug 2017
I'd say I usually watch anime taking place in English-speaking cultures dubbed in English, with some exceptions such as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean because of the changed stand names. But my desire for authenticity only goes so far, for example, I don't watch Attack on Titan or Monster dubbed in German
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
Yesterday, 10:26 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Yes, that's what I do.

If the show is in USA, England of any English country I watch dubbed in English. If the show takes place in Europe, it'll be French, Spanish, Italian or even Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese dubbing is great.

Actually, anime itself is dubbed, so I don't see any difference between Japanese dubbing and USA dubbing, they are all great, every single dubbing is great, I love dubbing so much.
@Phosphophyllita I hope you're joking since it isn't even funny to begin. Anime in the original language is not dubbed, its the original product. Japanese voice actors work shoulder by shoulder with the Anime studio, Anime creators and the Anime staff and take their work more seriously than dub actors in any language. Pretty sure you have no idea voice acting in Japan is a serious business unlike most of the West.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
4 hours ago

Jun 2024
I think the Japanese language does it well enough, even if it isn't in English or other languages, to portray differences. Japanese voice actors use a variety of accents, dialects, and cultural nuances to indicate these distinctions.

For example, you can easily tell the difference between a noble, rich, snobby character and a poor, uneducated townsfolk just from the way they speak in Japanese.

But if you prefer watching anime in English dub for a better sense of unique authenticity in Western settings, that's totally up to you.

More topics from this board

» Sleeveless school uniform

zwclose7 - 2 hours ago

11 by Tirinchas »»
2 minutes ago

» Judge of the "Jump Next Generation Battle Manga Award"

nirererin - 4 minutes ago

0 by nirererin »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Sucks Now

DigimonSommelier - 5 hours ago

39 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Wallpapers?

BerriesSan - Aug 16

33 by Noboru »»
4 minutes ago

» I think mal should remove the 1-3/10 ratings from quality anime

Deathlydash - 2 hours ago

22 by Orsisa »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.