Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2:05 PM

Jul 2021
I really want to watch a prequel for this. It has the potential to be the best war anime out there.
Having a realistic setting, the pristine animation from the series, and whatever melodrama we have seen from the flashbacks would make for a great series.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 21, 2:21 PM

Sep 2016
Hell yea, gimme little Violet slaughtering the enemies.
Jul 21, 2:22 PM

Jan 2021
I love war/milltary series, but I wouldn't say Violet Evergarden needs one.

Firstly, that's not the point of Violet Evergarden.

Secondly, We already saw the important stuff from her milltary days.

I think it could be nice as more action packed Gilbert-Violet Dynamic, but definitely not needed as said before.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 21, 2:34 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Cielord

I think it could be nice as more action packed Gilbert-Violet Dynamic, but definitely not needed as said before.
Cielord said:

I know that, but the point has already been told, and I've cried over it multiple times.
Seeing the two just casually interact would be nice, and as I said, it could be the best war anime out there.
Jul 21, 2:49 PM

Jun 2016
I don't think I would enjoy a 14 year old girl doing John Woo style gun fu on a fairly grounded and serious steampunk inspired war setting.
>b-b-but Arcane did that and it worked
Arcane's setting and theme permitted that without being jarring
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 21, 3:08 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Theo1899
I don't think I would enjoy a 14 year old girl doing John Woo style gun fu on a fairly grounded and serious steampunk inspired war setting.
>b-b-but Arcane did that and it worked
Arcane's setting and theme permitted that without being jarring
@Theo1899 Considering it's an anime, and the number of dumb anime tropes there are, it's pretty considerate that it only pulled that one.
Jul 21, 3:11 PM
Jan 2022
I wouldn't necessarily say that it needs one but there is definitely room for it.
But if they do a prequel it should be written by the original author of the light novel. When third parties try to write stories it usually doesn't go that well.
Jul 21, 3:33 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
Cielord said:

I know that, but the point has already been told, and I've cried over it multiple times.
Seeing the two just casually interact would be nice, and as I said, it could be the best war anime out there.
@JaniSIr
Cielord said:

Did you read that sentence or not? I myself said it will be nice, I argued about it being 'needed'.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 21, 4:58 PM
May 2021
If you write a story with such a clear rejection of war and its impact on humans, and then decide to go back and make and make a le ebic war action show with the same IP, you only spoil both sides. This show is a medium for delivering a message, and there's really nothing to do with it once the message has been conveyed to the author's satisfaction.
Jul 21, 8:41 PM

Nov 2019
I want an alternate universe sequel, where the movie events don't happen. The ending felt bleak for the character.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 22, 7:04 AM
Jun 2024
Laplace_kun said:
I want an alternate universe sequel, where the movie events don't happen. The ending felt bleak for the character.

LN has a different ending
Jul 22, 8:58 AM
Jul 2023
Cielord said:

still, even if *it* doesnt need one, i do 🙂
Jul 22, 9:53 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Daddi4900
If you write a story with such a clear rejection of war and its impact on humans, and then decide to go back and make and make a le ebic war action show with the same IP, you only spoil both sides. This show is a medium for delivering a message, and there's really nothing to do with it once the message has been conveyed to the author's satisfaction.
@Daddi4900 Portraying and glorifying something are different things you know. Even the original series contained action scenes, proving you wrong.
Jul 22, 10:39 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Laplace_kun
@Laplace_kun The ending is literally "they lived happily ever after" though?
Jul 22, 11:05 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to JaniSIr
@Laplace_kun The ending is literally "they lived happily ever after" though?
What can I say? Some "happy endings" feel morbid and melancholic. To me, it felt like the titular character fading as she goes back to status quo; the final shot is lowkey haunting.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 22, 11:15 AM
Jul 2021
Without Kyoani, it would not have the same essence
Jul 22, 11:20 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Reckless_weeb
Without Kyoani, it would not have the same essence
@Reckless_weeb Did they go bankrupt or something?
Of course the prequel idea assumes that it'll be well done ><
Jul 22, 11:28 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Laplace_kun
What can I say? Some "happy endings" feel morbid and melancholic. To me, it felt like the titular character fading as she goes back to status quo; the final shot is lowkey haunting.
@Laplace_kun That's just because of the weather, it'd be an above average day in Britain. And I guess her job became obsolete, but like technology and literacy improving is not a bad thing.
Jul 22, 12:01 PM
Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:

Don't you know?
On July 18, 2019, Aoba bought 40 liters of gasoline, after which he entered the Kyoto Animation studio, splashed gasoline on six workers while shouting “Go to hell!” and set the building on fire with a lighter. The fire engulfed the building, killing 36 people and leaving another 32 injured.

And hence Kyoani has been shut down since then.
Jul 22, 12:16 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Reckless_weeb
JaniSIr said:

Don't you know?
On July 18, 2019, Aoba bought 40 liters of gasoline, after which he entered the Kyoto Animation studio, splashed gasoline on six workers while shouting “Go to hell!” and set the building on fire with a lighter. The fire engulfed the building, killing 36 people and leaving another 32 injured.

@Reckless_weeb Wow, that's fucked up.
No, I wasn't watching anime in 2019, so that news cycle missed me.
How did the last movie get releases in 2020 then?
Jul 22, 12:23 PM
Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:
@Reckless_weeb Wow, that's fucked up.
No, I wasn't watching anime in 2019, so that news cycle missed me.
How did the last movie get releases in 2020 then?

You'll be shocked to know that the movie was completed just a day before the attack. All of the studio members were happy for their work. Kyoani was the only studio in Japan where the work culture was most positive and animators and studio workers used to get well paid.
Jul 22, 12:49 PM
Aug 2023
Reckless_weeb said:
JaniSIr said:

Don't you know?

KyoAni hasn't been shut down, they just released sound euphonium this season and even though I didn't watch it, from the snippets I've seen it's gorgeous in the animation department.

true, its definitely not Violet Evergarden in terms of popularity and maybe not the same level of animation, but it's honestly really hard to top VE in terms of animation.
Jul 22, 12:52 PM
Jul 2021
secretshroom said:
Reckless_weeb said:

Don't you know?

KyoAni hasn't been shut down, they just released sound euphonium this season and even though I didn't watch it, from the snippets I've seen it's gorgeous in the animation department.

true, its definitely not Violet Evergarden in terms of popularity and maybe not the same level of animation, but it's honestly really hard to top VE in terms of animation.

Ooh yeah my bad, it returned a year ago but the core staff are different.
Jul 22, 12:54 PM
Aug 2023
Reckless_weeb said:
secretshroom said:

well considering studio movements and the fact that some 40 employees sadly were killed yeah, it's understandable.

I'm still hoping they push through and make a big comeback, their animation style is one of the best in the business. they just need a banger like madhouse with frieren
Jul 22, 1:11 PM
Jul 2021
secretshroom said:
Reckless_weeb said:

well considering studio movements and the fact that some 40 employees sadly were killed yeah, it's understandable.

I'm still hoping they push through and make a big comeback, their animation style is one of the best in the business. they just need a banger like madhouse with frieren

True, No studio can produce more beautiful anime than Kyoani
Jul 22, 1:29 PM
Apr 2024
I feel like it won't add anything, the character archetype Violet is based on is already a staple of the mecha genre and the series was good at portraying the aftereffect of war, a prequel would have hard time replicating the emotions, it would have no reason to be better than a war show that isn't related to it, the only thing going for it is the brand recognition
Jul 22, 1:34 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Guilmon1
I feel like it won't add anything, the character archetype Violet is based on is already a staple of the mecha genre and the series was good at portraying the aftereffect of war, a prequel would have hard time replicating the emotions, it would have no reason to be better than a war show that isn't related to it, the only thing going for it is the brand recognition
@Guilmon1 If you go by that standard, every story has already been told. There are too many literary works, it's impossible to be original anymore.
Jul 22, 1:38 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to JaniSIr
@Guilmon1 If you go by that standard, every story has already been told. There are too many literary works, it's impossible to be original anymore.
@JaniSIr every story has been told, but everything has something to differentiate it, even if it's small, and what makes violet unique won't be able to thrive in a war anime
Jul 22, 1:46 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Guilmon1
@JaniSIr every story has been told, but everything has something to differentiate it, even if it's small, and what makes violet unique won't be able to thrive in a war anime
@Guilmon1 But like that's literally canon. And we really need more Gilbert, they didn't even talk a lot even in the movie.
Jul 22, 3:49 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think it's absolutely mandatory, since anime presented her backstory in a rather alright way (in conveying why she acted in a robotic-like way, why she was devoted to Major). But even so I'd love to see a prequel movie telling Violet's story before she started working at the post office. The more Violet Evergarden content, the better. Gilbert would also benefit for having more screentime.
Jul 22, 3:55 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
Hell yea, gimme little Violet slaughtering the enemies.
@Zarutaku It'd be interesting to see a prequel movie or series focusing on that massive military conflict. Violet going on a killing spree is one thing to be excited about, but I'd be more hyped about anime with high quality battlegrounds with WW1-stylized troops fighting with each other.

Also, Violet could get more depth as a character. Wasn't she a sort of supersoldier in the LN? I haven't read it myself, but I heard that Violet's strength and skills were partially the effect of extremely harsh training and partially the result of her genetics improved in an artificial way.
Jul 22, 5:17 PM
Jan 2020
I don’t think there is that much more backstory to tell that wasn’t already seen in the original anime. At least nothing interesting or compelling to watch. All there really is to show is how she became such a good fighter but considering the main story is an anti-war message watching the development of a child soldier probably isn’t what the author would want.
Jul 22, 7:19 PM
Sep 2022
It would be a good idea only if the prequel added more depth to the characters from the main show and honestly I don’t think It could. The main show Violet evergarden is already a complete story with a beginning, a middle and finally a satisfying ending. I don’t think a prequel could add to that folks
Jul 22, 7:40 PM
Mar 2022
Laplace_kun said:

I don't understand why people didn't like the ending... it was set in a time when there was a social status to be maintained and everything. Violet never saw Gilbert as something of a father figure.... why people just put him there, I still don't get it. The time when gilbert gifts her the broche, she tells him that his eyes are beautiful. Just accept they fell in romantic love and decided to marry after spending some time together in that island nation where she found him.
Jul 22, 8:38 PM

Jun 2023
I agree and disagree at the same time
My candies -

Jul 22, 9:52 PM

Nov 2019
nnaik1236 said:
Laplace_kun said:

I don't understand why people didn't like the ending... it was set in a time when there was a social status to be maintained and everything. Violet never saw Gilbert as something of a father figure.... why people just put him there, I still don't get it. The time when gilbert gifts her the broche, she tells him that his eyes are beautiful. Just accept they fell in romantic love and decided to marry after spending some time together in that island nation where she found him.

Ironic considering Violet literally witnessed the coming of a new age in her own eyes. In what way succumbing to social norms a happy ending for a living legend?

The movie spends its time building up suspense, then Violet reverts to crybaby, the fading relevance of her job is an icing to the cake. Meanwhile the major, an enigma so far, is a guilt-stricken man who cannot come to terms with his own feelings. The fact that the novels allegedly do proper buildup before confirmation regarding his survival adds to the tonal whiplash of the movie. At the end, their reunion has no catharsis. It's a "closure" for Violet, when she had every story resource to have more. Nearly no chemistry between them was shown to develop, adding to the dour nature of Violet's new life. The major too, a victim of war and family duty, finds meaning in his life only in Violet.

Both people have been emotionally chained to each other, and that is set up like a reward for their past suffering and hardwork. The TV series rewatch value goes to virtually zero, despite Violet being explicitly known primarily for her work in the modern era. The movie feels as an unsuccessful rendition of the achievement of small big joys in life (like, love) for both a successful person and a broken one.

Didn't mean to write much, just thought it's a better reply than just saying that the ending of a piece of media cannot satisfy everyone.
Jul 22, 11:38 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Laplace_kun
nnaik1236 said:
Laplace_kun said:

Ironic considering Violet literally witnessed the coming of a new age in her own eyes. In what way succumbing to social norms a happy ending for a living legend?

The movie spends its time building up suspense, then Violet reverts to crybaby, the fading relevance of her job is an icing to the cake. Meanwhile the major, an enigma so far, is a guilt-stricken man who cannot come to terms with his own feelings. The fact that the novels allegedly do proper buildup before confirmation regarding his survival adds to the tonal whiplash of the movie. At the end, their reunion has no catharsis. It's a "closure" for Violet, when she had every story resource to have more. Nearly no chemistry between them was shown to develop, adding to the dour nature of Violet's new life. The major too, a victim of war and family duty, finds meaning in his life only in Violet.

Both people have been emotionally chained to each other, and that is set up like a reward for their past suffering and hardwork. The TV series rewatch value goes to virtually zero, despite Violet being explicitly known primarily for her work in the modern era. The movie feels as an unsuccessful rendition of the achievement of small big joys in life (like, love) for both a successful person and a broken one.

Didn't mean to write much, just thought it's a better reply than just saying that the ending of a piece of media cannot satisfy everyone.
@Laplace_kun Violet has always been playing catch up to normal people, because of her particular lack of emotional understanding that just comes naturally to others. Her job was a just a tool for that, even if she found it very important, it was always going to be a short lived one, with technology advancing and literally rates improving. In the future parts you get to learn that she was a valued member of the island village, so she did find something else to do. The one thing that's sort of valid is that we could have used more Violet + Gilbert interaction, like in the movie we don't even find out of she had children or not.
Jul 23, 12:06 AM

Feb 2023
I never really thought about how a prequel would look like, but I kind of like the idea.

No idea how much we learn about it in the books, but a prequel would give the chance to explore what made Violet into the obedient child supersoldier she was, her relationship with Gilbert and his brother Dietfried during that time, how she was regarded as a monster by both enemies and allies and the political situation behind the war. Having an explaination why she has superhuman abilities probably wouldn't add much, but I would be interested what made her close up her own emotions and desires ever since she was a small child.

On the other hand, part of me just wants to keep the series as it is. As much as I love the energy from the war flashbacks, it probably wouldn't come close to the impact the original series had on me. I wouldn't want it to change the characters in a way that stands at odds with what I liked about them in the original.

nnaik1236 said:
Laplace_kun said:

My main problem with the movie is that having Gilbert miraculously survive waters down Violet's developement in the original series. My favorite part about the show was Violet's grieving process. Knowing that he somehow survived removes the need for Violet to come to terms with Gilbert's death, the man she loved even though she never realized until it was too late. Also the way the two got back together felt a bit like she reverted back to her old self, losing the independence she struggled so hard to build up.
Jul 23, 12:51 AM
Oct 2023
Violet with battle axe episode please.
Jul 23, 1:10 AM

Nov 2019
@JaniSIr Well, even that feels awkward as Violet showed deep empathy and understanding in 1st season itself, especially with the dying soldier. She just has a different way of expressing itself. The only emotion she struggled to grasp fully is love, but that is on a conceptual not performance basis. She actually succeeded in settling herself as a productive member in the society rather than some eccentric. The way she bonded with multiple children is another demonstration.

Yes, it's more of a transition problem. Her new life might have color, but we barely get to see the colorful part.
Jul 23, 1:34 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Vaturna
I never really thought about how a prequel would look like, but I kind of like the idea.

No idea how much we learn about it in the books, but a prequel would give the chance to explore what made Violet into the obedient child supersoldier she was, her relationship with Gilbert and his brother Dietfried during that time, how she was regarded as a monster by both enemies and allies and the political situation behind the war. Having an explaination why she has superhuman abilities probably wouldn't add much, but I would be interested what made her close up her own emotions and desires ever since she was a small child.

On the other hand, part of me just wants to keep the series as it is. As much as I love the energy from the war flashbacks, it probably wouldn't come close to the impact the original series had on me. I wouldn't want it to change the characters in a way that stands at odds with what I liked about them in the original.

nnaik1236 said:
Laplace_kun said:

My main problem with the movie is that having Gilbert miraculously survive waters down Violet's developement in the original series. My favorite part about the show was Violet's grieving process. Knowing that he somehow survived removes the need for Violet to come to terms with Gilbert's death, the man she loved even though she never realized until it was too late. Also the way the two got back together felt a bit like she reverted back to her old self, losing the independence she struggled so hard to build up.
@Vaturna I would start the prequel around the time when Dietfried finds Violet. Her exact origins are better left a mystery imo.
And she didn't regress, she wasn't asking for orders or anything. This kind of sounds like you imply marriage is an overall bad thing.
Jul 23, 1:38 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Adnash
@Zarutaku It'd be interesting to see a prequel movie or series focusing on that massive military conflict. Violet going on a killing spree is one thing to be excited about, but I'd be more hyped about anime with high quality battlegrounds with WW1-stylized troops fighting with each other.

Also, Violet could get more depth as a character. Wasn't she a sort of supersoldier in the LN? I haven't read it myself, but I heard that Violet's strength and skills were partially the effect of extremely harsh training and partially the result of her genetics improved in an artificial way.
Adnash said:
Wasn't she a sort of supersoldier in the LN? I haven't read it myself

Didn't read it either, I thought she's also a super soldier in the anime, but maybe she got nerfed to avoid scaring away the power fantasy haters.
Jul 23, 1:49 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Laplace_kun
@JaniSIr Well, even that feels awkward as Violet showed deep empathy and understanding in 1st season itself, especially with the dying soldier. She just has a different way of expressing itself. The only emotion she struggled to grasp fully is love, but that is on a conceptual not performance basis. She actually succeeded in settling herself as a productive member in the society rather than some eccentric. The way she bonded with multiple children is another demonstration.

Yes, it's more of a transition problem. Her new life might have color, but we barely get to see the colorful part.
@Laplace_kun She also had to be explained loneliness, it's not just love she didn't understand, even if she felt it before.
Jul 23, 1:49 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to vincible456
Violet with battle axe episode please.
@vincible456 BIG AXE MODE ENGAGE
Jul 23, 4:12 AM

Feb 2023
Reply to JaniSIr
@Vaturna I would start the prequel around the time when Dietfried finds Violet. Her exact origins are better left a mystery imo.
And she didn't regress, she wasn't asking for orders or anything. This kind of sounds like you imply marriage is an overall bad thing.
@JaniSIr I didn't want to imply that marriage as a whole is bad, just that the connection between Violet and Gilbert might be bad.
Gilbert always wished that Violet would forget about him so that she could move on. It's impossible to say if he was right about that or not, but I always thought that he had a point. The affection Violet developed for him came from a time that was very traumatic where she couldn't trust anyone else except for him. Her love was deeply linked to her loyalty as a soldier to a superior and her life as a weapon of war.

Both Violet and Gilbert have changed a lot since the last time they saw each other. My problem is that the movie didn't give me enough scenes between the two to convince me that Violet's decision to jump off the ship had anything to do with what she saw inside the new Gilbert instead of her old image of him she developed during the war. To me, it's a sign that she's still chained to her past with everything that comes with it, unable to let go.
To be fair, the movie shows that Violet and Gilbert manage to make it work regardless, but I didn't like Violet's decision and the way it reframed the story for me.
Jul 23, 5:55 AM
Dec 2023
the story is what people call "Perfection"
to risky to do anything extra now.

but prequel is still safer choice than sequal.
Jul 23, 11:41 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Vaturna
@JaniSIr I didn't want to imply that marriage as a whole is bad, just that the connection between Violet and Gilbert might be bad.
Gilbert always wished that Violet would forget about him so that she could move on. It's impossible to say if he was right about that or not, but I always thought that he had a point. The affection Violet developed for him came from a time that was very traumatic where she couldn't trust anyone else except for him. Her love was deeply linked to her loyalty as a soldier to a superior and her life as a weapon of war.

Both Violet and Gilbert have changed a lot since the last time they saw each other. My problem is that the movie didn't give me enough scenes between the two to convince me that Violet's decision to jump off the ship had anything to do with what she saw inside the new Gilbert instead of her old image of him she developed during the war. To me, it's a sign that she's still chained to her past with everything that comes with it, unable to let go.
To be fair, the movie shows that Violet and Gilbert manage to make it work regardless, but I didn't like Violet's decision and the way it reframed the story for me.
@Vaturna Gilbert is not a bad guy, he was basically ordered to use Violet, and he made the best of it. Gilbert might have been guilt ridden for doing so, but he is sort of an idiot, the President said so too, as Violet never actually perceived him as a bad person. Violet's growth won't just disappear so easily, and Gilbert will not abuse her either. The movie needing some more scenes is kinda valid, but Violet not needing Gilbert is different from Violet not wanting to be with Gilbert. Violet being able to live without orders was proven in the series already, and you would basically need to argue that Gilbert is a bad person to oppose their relationship, but he did nothing objectionable since the war. Moving past him was necessary until it wasn't. And I would argue that even if they never get separated Violet would have grown up, Gilbert would have made sure so.
Jul 25, 10:47 PM
Dec 2020
Too bad not everything needs a million sequels and prequels 🤦🏼‍♂️
Jul 26, 8:38 AM
Apr 2024
I agree her life on war seems very interesting and Gilbert seems like a extremely interesting character as well
Jul 26, 9:38 AM

Jul 2021
No thanks. We've seen enough of their wartime experience, and I don't see what more could be said about how that affected Violet and Gilbert.

Also, to me the soul of the series is about moving on from the trauma and becoming a human being, and dwelling more on the trauma and the lack of humanity would distract from that, or maybe even diminish it if done poorly.

If we're going to get more Violet Evergarden, I really hope they do more stories like the OVAs, about Violet's life as an automemory doll. I felt like the show plus the movie cut Violet's story way too short, when there's so much more about human experiences and relationships they can explore through this set-up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

629 by Vikc »»
Aug 3, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

573 by Agathusian »»
Jul 22, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

288 by BertBert »»
Jul 15, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

501 by Daresho »»
Jul 13, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

367 by codygoldenflame »»
Jul 12, 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.