Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 29, 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
So Shin teamed up with his allies to take on monsters in the season finale, but not before encountering a familiar face in the past. This was just lazy writing imo, although I didn't expect much.

We got action, fighting, and the usual New Gate stuff. Episode felt rushed too as I felt like they could've built this better. Shin also got some more moments with Schnee. A very forgettable show imo.
Jun 29, 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
Shin and Rionne reaching Valmer and being alerted about the incoming monster horde of a flood, at least they have time to act before calamity strikes.

Both adventurer and princess making their various reports, informing both the army and the adventurers guild would help make haste for preparations. Aside from that one Meow Land store, Shin bumping onto one of his friend's support character of Berett, and realizing that his friends of Hibineko, Shadow and Holly are all well and alive in the future. That, and much more in Berett's list for former players...plus PKs, which Shin is hearing this for the very first time, he's equally as surprised.

Going to see the Lord of Valmer to discuss on how to deal with the flood, Shin, Schnee and Tiera ready for the attack...which is clearly doctrinated by an event boss, meaning that they have a way to deal with it as per the game's standards. As for the rest under Rionne's leadership, they look like they're gonna hold up well, and both Wilhelm and Lacia coming in for assistance...hoenstly, they don't even need to be there, since Shin can do an all-kill by himself as a high human.

As much as both Shin and Tiera dread Valmer's ceremony, they have no choice but to do it, giving Shin his only harem time with both Tiera and Schnee, the latter being clearly jealous of his relationship with Rionne. There is a reason why Schnee withheld her PK information to Shin, though that's of the past, and he forgives her easily without any reservation. And even though Shin has a crush that he still remembers, Schnee clearly has adored and lived him all the same.

Oh thank God we're SO done with this show, so frustrating and boring at the same time, testing my mental limits.
KANLen09Jun 29, 11:10 AM
Jun 29, 10:03 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to KANLen09
Shin and Rionne reaching Valmer and being alerted about the incoming monster horde of a flood, at least they have time to act before calamity strikes.

Both adventurer and princess making their various reports, informing both the army and the adventurers guild would help make haste for preparations. Aside from that one Meow Land store, Shin bumping onto one of his friend's support character of Berett, and realizing that his friends of Hibineko, Shadow and Holly are all well and alive in the future. That, and much more in Berett's list for former players...plus PKs, which Shin is hearing this for the very first time, he's equally as surprised.

Going to see the Lord of Valmer to discuss on how to deal with the flood, Shin, Schnee and Tiera ready for the attack...which is clearly doctrinated by an event boss, meaning that they have a way to deal with it as per the game's standards. As for the rest under Rionne's leadership, they look like they're gonna hold up well, and both Wilhelm and Lacia coming in for assistance...hoenstly, they don't even need to be there, since Shin can do an all-kill by himself as a high human.

As much as both Shin and Tiera dread Valmer's ceremony, they have no choice but to do it, giving Shin his only harem time with both Tiera and Schnee, the latter being clearly jealous of his relationship with Rionne. There is a reason why Schnee withheld her PK information to Shin, though that's of the past, and he forgives her easily without any reservation. And even though Shin has a crush that he still remembers, Schnee clearly has adored and lived him all the same.

Oh thank God we're SO done with this show, so frustrating and boring at the same time, testing my mental limits.
KANLen09 said:
Oh thank God we're done with this show, so frustrating and boring at the same time.

+1 now this is something I whole heartedly agree with.
Jun 29, 10:12 AM

Feb 2019
It was mid, but damn I really did like this show tbh lol. The waifus were great and I loved the harem antics with Shin. If it had better production values, it could’ve been so much better. The story is still lacking, but it was hurt by just how bad it looked at times too.

That said, I loved this finale. Horrible animation during the defense of Valmer aside, they finally gave us some direction for the story. Other players are still out there and there’s even player killers? I highly doubt there’s a second season, but things could get interesting later on. I’ll give the LN a read because of how much I liked the girls.

Speaking of the girls, they looked amazing at the celebration party, but OH MY GOD SCHNEE!! “I won’t give up. I love you” that’s how you end off a season with all this romantic tension, a proper confession! Shin is crazy for wanting to go home and leave what he’s got here behind. Needs a big slap to come to his senses.

The Marino bit is interesting though, if Shin had another player he was in love with it makes sense why he’d wanna go home.. I wonder if she’s still in this world too? Could make for some even more interesting drama

It was good to see Cu… I mean Whilhem and Lacia show back up in the finale too, been so long since we saw em I forgot about them. Good end to the series, could’ve been so much better though.
Marinate1016Jun 29, 11:09 AM
Jun 29, 10:52 AM
May 2014
damn, the animation was trash this episode especially in the second part
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 11:13 AM

Sep 2013
My face while watching this episode.

Jun 29, 11:14 AM
Jul 2020
cristinacke28 said:
damn, the animation was trash this episode especially in the second part

agreed! it's like the animation team just gave up, the faces were god-awful.
Jun 29, 11:16 AM
Jul 2020
Anyone giving this a 5 must be on something smh.
Jun 29, 11:22 AM

Jan 2012
And so we end with the revelation of more players and player killers, fighting off a flood of blue skeletons and a giant eyeball monster, a party and Schnee's love confession.

What a half-baked way to introduce some important new information right at the end, huh? Did we know he loved that other girl before this and I just forgot? Well it doesn't matter. I won't watch a second season of this even in the unlikely event it does get made. Probably the most generic and forgettable series I've watched in a long time. With often poor art and animation. Just look at the faces in this finale! The only real positives I have regarding it are it never actively angered me despite the mediocrity, and of course Schnee, Tiera and especially Rionne's big, beautiful tits. It COULD have been better if it were an ecchi harem-esque show with those three, really leaned into the fanservice, but probably not by all that much if I'm being honest. Generous 5/10 and the worst show I watched in the Spring season pretty comfortably.
animefan8800Jun 29, 11:26 AM
Jun 29, 11:37 AM
Jun 2024
So, people are saying that it is a copy of Sword art online and I feel like the reviews are also the same.Half the audience love it and half of it hate it and I'm in the half that loves this show.One of the best shows I've watched this season.
Jun 29, 11:44 AM

Mar 2017
The animation is actually amazing, how bad it is.
Jun 29, 12:06 PM

Aug 2021
holy shit what happened to the animation in this episode lol. it looks horrible
Jun 29, 12:08 PM
May 2018
I just wanna be clear, the anime was really poorly made, to people who like the concept and the story please read the manga FROM THE START. There were several important/cool/funny moments in the manga that were entirely skipped in the anime. This last episode was the worst, in the manga, he reaches Valmer, stumbles upon the café and goes “no way” then enters and finds Hibineko, very surprised who then calls over Holly and Shadow, they then all together fight a very cool battle against the flood, the old battle mates reunited using cool coordinated moves etc. Instead, we get a super rushed, changed for the worse version of this whole arc. I wish they had spent less time on other things such as the labyrinth arc or even the half an episode in the previous one of him and the princess flirting that is all but important and had had Shin meet up with Hibineko and others around mid episode 11, that was way too rushed and the animation was terrible. Instead what do we get? We don’t even see Hibineko and shadow and holly but we see Berett??? That guy comes up much later, so does the whole ordeal with Schnee lying to him. A BIG deception.
Jun 29, 12:23 PM
Sep 2013
I'll start first with the ep, I found this last ep a little rushed, although not that much, honestly, given the events that took place, I liked that it was a little fast, I think they "rushed" in the right way.

There were moments in the episode where the animation was well below average, with the characters crooked but in others it was very beautiful, the anime kept alternating between something crooked and something beautiful, I found it strange, it seems like they made this last episode in a hurry, perhaps in bluray the episode gets better.

And we had the prota's kiss with Schnee that left me hyped, this romance is really good, not to mention that it seems like the prota likes someone, I'd like to know what happened, the prota's past.

Now let's move on to the big picture.

While some animes from this season surprised me negatively, others like The New Gate surprised me positively, the anime started with a Sword Art Online vibe but generic, I thought the anime was going to be one of those just to pass the time as much as possible, I expected something in the level from Dekisokonai to Yobareta (5/10), not that it doesn't have generic moments but the anime rose in my opinion as the episodes went by.

The animation is average, it's very simple but it doesn't drop in quality to a horrible point, it's an OK animation, common, except in this final episode, which had some monster falls but had some good climbs too.

I liked the characters, the protagonist is very common, he doesn't have anything remarkable but I fulfilled his role, he doesn't have anything bad, the only thing that leaves something to be desired is him trying to hide who he is throughout the anime, things that could be resolved with him telling the truth, are being confused because of that.

Now the girls are the highlight of the characters, the only problem with the anime is that they didn't have much focus, Schnee is a great character who only appeared at the end but apart from her all the others are very pretty and have a certain charisma, Even the princess with little screen time won me over, even the sideshows with the guild girls have their charm.

The other side characters like Wilhelm, Girard, etc. were also well done, they have a very good personality and so on, it makes you think that if the anime had been given a little love, it might have become more popular.

Now regarding the story, it had several plots kind of played out, several things in themselves without connection, in itself this part had a more generic tone than the rest, I think there was a lack of better construction but for me it was this part that surprised, As I said, there was nothing for the anime, I expected it to be a 6/10 anime but with each episode I was eager to see the next one, even more than some animes that became popular this season, I liked every plot that the protagonist he knows the girls and such, but perhaps the best written plot was Girard's, it's the one that stands out the most but I prefer to see the prota's romance with the girls lol, I was looking forward to the prota returning to Tiera at the beginning of the anime, for when she would find out that he was the owner of the moon sanctuary, I was anxious for when the prota would meet up with his schnee and so on...

I think that if this anime had been given a little more love, it would have been one of the best of the season, especially when looking at the novel's covers, it's a good anime, 7/10, I'll highlight anyone who gives the anime 6/10, I understand but that's his lowest rating, I would see a second season.
Jun 29, 12:32 PM
Oct 2021
Wieczorny said:
My face while watching this episode.

Glad the anime is over, hopefully they don’t think of making another season… I’m good with just a manga adaptation 👍🏾
Jun 29, 12:52 PM
Jul 2015
Well, this ended on a really sour note. It felt like they just gave up for the finale and slapped an episode together so they could move on. A shame, really, because I felt like this was a pretty solid anime overall.
Jun 29, 1:11 PM
Dec 2022
the first episode was the only good episode in the series.
after that it just went downhill and never saw the light of good storytelling.
Jun 29, 1:13 PM
Jul 2022
saabiK said:
holy shit what happened to the animation in this episode lol. it looks horrible

I'm so agree with you!!!
Jun 29, 1:16 PM
Mar 2024
Boring anime. Still needed to watch it to sustain my trash isekai needs
Jun 29, 1:20 PM
Jun 2023
Damn, animation and art quality dropped hard this episode.
I liked ideas from this anime. And some twists were interesting. Post death game setting is cool and gives a lot of the room for the story. But adaptation clearly suffered from the low budget and had bad direction. Maybe you can also blame source material for some stuff, I don't know. Anyway, this had great potential, but didn't manage to reach even 20% of it.
SAO, Overlord, Log Horizon and now New Gate. They all failed to use such cool concept, it's a shame. (At least romance wasn't so cringe this time and made some sense)
Jun 29, 1:42 PM
Apr 2024
Yessss it’s finally over…so glad those PK’ers from Laughing Coffin haven’t found Shin yet… Also it was awesome how Shin beat this Aincrad death game… But getting tp’d back in E1…oh guess that’s a little different… Apparently whenever a death game is involved, horrible adaptions must follow. Now that this is over, I feel like getting a coffee at Sudoh-Bucks or maybe drinking a 9-Up.
Jun 29, 1:45 PM

Jan 2008
And it's over. Art seems to have taken a dip this episode, where it looks so janky that maybe interns drew it and were planning on fixing it later on the BD discs (which I doubt will be very popular). The characters, despite having more life now that the game is "real", still felt like NPCs they were originally made as with how bland there were.

Felt like nothing noteworthy happened all season if I'm going to be honest. I would have liked more development in the harem with the princess if they wanted to go that romcom route, or Shin actually facing challenges such as facing off the PK-ers or something more substantial instead of steamrolling everything with ease.

Not the best series ever, but not the worst by any means. A decent time waster that I don't have to think too hard about or immerse myself in to fully enjoy, so it's for those reasons that ironically, I found myself watching this series first while eating or have some time to spare, and putting all the other better series airing at the same time on-hold on the to watch list. I could just turn my brain off and put this on in the background, watching it passively.

Overall, a 6.5 (rounded up to 7) out of 10, which happens to be the same average this series is quite aptly rated as. A very mid-series. Maybe the manga will be a better read.
Estoy_GordoJun 29, 1:50 PM
Jun 29, 2:06 PM
Jun 2021
Yeah this episode left a sour taste in my mouth. The season as a whole I would have rated as a 8 or a 9 for how much I was enjoying it but the last episode really ruined it and doesn’t inspire much confidence in another season ever happening. As such - I gave it a 7.
Jun 29, 2:14 PM
Sep 2022
the anime had everything to be good but they failed to maintain the quality of the manga in the anime.
Jun 29, 2:27 PM
Jul 2022
HUH? What the heck is this bro...
RomanceAddict_Jun 29, 2:30 PM
Jun 29, 2:51 PM
Mar 2020
They really could make this anime better.... it's just derp-fest.... plot and build-up... just meh
Jun 29, 3:04 PM

Feb 2019
not a bad way to end the series, but they left it quite open for a possible season 2 that may or may not even happen.
Jun 29, 3:11 PM

Jun 2016
The story was good, as the characters, but the animation was appalling... poor budget and quality by animators... the manga is better.
Jun 29, 3:56 PM

Mar 2010
Well I feel kinda bad but, i don't think we will see anything from this anime in the future RIP

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 29, 4:11 PM
Jun 2022
Reply to donslockz
Damn, animation and art quality dropped hard this episode.
I liked ideas from this anime. And some twists were interesting. Post death game setting is cool and gives a lot of the room for the story. But adaptation clearly suffered from the low budget and had bad direction. Maybe you can also blame source material for some stuff, I don't know. Anyway, this had great potential, but didn't manage to reach even 20% of it.
SAO, Overlord, Log Horizon and now New Gate. They all failed to use such cool concept, it's a shame. (At least romance wasn't so cringe this time and made some sense)
@donslockz Of course that all those series and this one has failed. How can they not fail, if in the end all of those series are a disgusting copy of the god tier .hack// series.

The entire budget of the episode has been employed on the large scale spells visuals. That's why the faces where all different in a scene by scene context. It's been years since I've seen something this bizarre. Maybe since Skeleton Knight in Another World, Shinka no Mi and Arifureta.
Jun 29, 4:29 PM

Feb 2011
I've watched a ton of trash in my life, and this was about as close to a dumpster fire as possible.

I cant rate it worse than a 4 because that puts it way too close to Pupa, which is HOT garbage.

The girls were very cute, MC was a dog turd, animation was horrible, music was low mid at best. no power scaling, low effort fights with zero consequences, just all around trash

Best male was Wilhelm, best girl was probably that Tiera chick.

a fantastic dumpster fire.

4.2/10

Jun 29, 4:43 PM
Jan 2009
I get that it's been replacement animators for most of the show, but they really phoned it in this episode. I wondered if they would try and at least put on a best effort for the finale, but this was probably the worst animated episode of the season. This was astoundingly bad.

Jun 29, 5:19 PM
Oct 2010
Ahahaha, not usually one to rant about animation, but damn, when they freeze for 1-2 seconds while he's killing the demon while looking like a crayon drawing, then snaps suddenly to a fully drawn face it's kinda hard to ignore. This episode in general was terrible for off-models; I suppose the last dregs of the budget were reserved entirely for Schnee's mass spell... and that wasn't great either.

That's not even all considering how much was jammed into this to finish in one episode! They completely skipped three Chosen One character introductions, all of which would have parts to play in a (oh please anime gods no!) second season, which would be focused on death game flashbacks. Two of those characters would have been on the front lines ripping unholy bells out of the waves (yes, WAVES, not the few groups of mobs that were shown!), while the third would have been working with Tiera on the FAR SIDE OF TOWN to deal with the late-arriving ambush led by the demon. Tiera was done especially dirty since she ends up earning a bloody title from that battle because she put in a lot more work than a single nuke shot.

Bah! My expectations were low from the beginning of the season, but by the end of it the bar kept getting lower and lower until it was buried in the ground.
Jun 29, 5:28 PM
Oct 2011
Hmm, so this is what 27$ budget looks like... Not like the whole anime wasn't the mid-est of mids, but man did they drop the ball with this episode.
Jun 29, 5:45 PM

Feb 2021
He's using a curse equipment to fight the flood and nobody is dead :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 29, 6:18 PM
Jan 2022
Woah… did the studio get a new project and just leave a skeleton team on animation for this? It was never great but this episode hurt my eyes
Jun 29, 6:44 PM

Mar 2013
Even for a final episode, the animation still sucked.
It's so bad, I'm crying out of my mind! 😭😭😭
Instead of splurging to get even a decent ending, they didn't, disappointingly. SMH

I had high hopes for this series as I was really fond of the manga, but they just made this final episode rushed.

The battle of being RED should've been more cooler as it was supposed to be longer than.

The soldiers was so weak, that they couldn't even follow Rione in battle when someone said to follow her, and instead of helping even once, they stayed in the rearguard...?!
What the heck is wrong with the studio doing this series? I'm definitely disappointed. 😬

I guess rushing it just to get to the part of the party is nice and all, but even the escorting of two beautiful elves was so appalling, that I had lost hope of this series ever getting a 2nd season.

Did they even tried enough? Sigh.

Another favourite series got trashed.

At the very least, the scene of confessions were great.
CrazyButNot4UJun 29, 7:01 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 29, 6:56 PM

Aug 2022
Random episode thoughts:

- So we got a fantasy version of The Flood from Halo? Nope. Just another generic horde of monsters.

- I see Laughing Coffin from SAO managed to establish their own branch even in this game.

- As usual, Shin managed to one shot the monsters with his cursed weapon.

- Who on earth is this Marino chick? The series' equivalent of Asuna?

- Not surprised that Schnee managed to get a kiss before the season ended.

------------------------------

Overall series impression:

So the series budget finally went into the negative, with all the potato faces going about for the final episode. Forgot sakuga fights when the animators couldn't keep up with showing at least decent faces for the main characters during the finale.

An okay-at-best series. Felt forgettable at times. It probably could have been at least a good "turn your brain off" action series if it weren't for the apparent lack of budget.

Die hard isekai fans might get a kick out of this one. But I can't recommend this to anyone else. Isekai haters, steer clear of this one.

I'm going to probably check out "The old Gate" sometime down the line. Yeah. The one with the JSDF.
Jun 29, 6:58 PM
Aug 2017
1 out of 5
Did they have a different person draw each scene in this anime??? That surprised face Shin had on the balcony - like who even was that?!?! It’s seems like they cut the budget half way through!!! So glad this is over!
Jun 29, 7:02 PM
Aug 2017
They literally gave up.
Jun 29, 7:13 PM
Jun 2020
I liked the new story concepts introduced, but man that art. it was rough.
Jun 29, 7:22 PM
Jan 2020
WTF... They took over 10 chapters of the manga and crammed it in a single shitty episode skipping a ton material. Meeting with the other players and Kaede was supposed to happen before the flood battle with Kaede participating. Wil and Lacia weren't even supposed to be there.
Jun 29, 8:28 PM
Mar 2018
OMG, why the animation is so awful
The story deserves a better production, what a waste 🥲
Jun 29, 9:11 PM

Jul 2016
I can't believe how much this series deflated from how it started.

The plot was whatever it was coming out and in the visual part the amount of scribbles was such that it already hurt me to see it.

6/10
Jun 29, 9:27 PM
Sep 2016
1. The studio has achieved new WR for LN adaptation speedrun by performing BLJs, skips, and even ACEs on the last EP. Congrats for the achievement, Karl Jobs and Abyssoft should cover this great speedrun achievement.
This is ofc a sarcasm. Compressing at least 4 EPs worth of materials into a single EP is just suicidal after all.

2. After everything I said last EP, on how they are loyal to the LN... This EP they actually diverge HEAVILY from the LN. Shin is supposed to met Shadow, Holy, and Nekomata in Valmer. There's also supposed to be a bit of reunion there between the 4 of them as well as major expositions on the nature of Chosen Ones (hence why > 4 EPs worth of materials on Valmer-arc). They also join the Valmer defence. In fact, Wilhelm is not supposed to be in Valmer.

3. At last Marino got mentioned. By this point in time the reader of the LN is supposed to already been exposed abt Marino from bits of Shin's dialogues and monologues. Well, at least they have the decency to mention Marino in the last EP.

4. Remember Puru-Puru Tengoku (PuruTen / BoingPara) from Shirobako? This EP is the definition of PuruTen. The very definition of Early-Access Beta (yes, not even Alpha).
Nay, this might be on the same level as one of those game scams on Kickstarter back on the day.

PS: please do understand that this might most likely NOT be the staffs and animators fault tho. An abomination of this scale would almost always the fault of the managements, the corporates fault.
uncleqrowJun 29, 9:42 PM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jun 29, 11:09 PM
Dec 2017
ok the animation for ep 12 was by far the worst. it changed art styles almost every time the camera changed. i feel like this was a group project between like 6 people all with different art styles and they just threw it into one episode and they didnt even try to hide it.
Jun 29, 11:10 PM

Mar 2019
Another generic isekai with animation that makes your eyes bleed. ┐⁠(⁠‘⁠~⁠`⁠;⁠)⁠┌
Jun 29, 11:12 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to amf85
I get that it's been replacement animators for most of the show, but they really phoned it in this episode. I wondered if they would try and at least put on a best effort for the finale, but this was probably the worst animated episode of the season. This was astoundingly bad.

@amf85 there are worse pannels than this....
Jun 30, 12:01 AM
Jul 2016
Its different from the Light Novel / Manga
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The New Gate Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4

36 by merderer »»
Sep 29, 12:49 PM

Poll: » The New Gate Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

42 by magraobl »»
Sep 25, 1:51 PM

Poll: » The New Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

115 by niookookjo »»
Sep 24, 5:55 AM

» Is manga faithful

bezardo - Sep 15

5 by Skydog0205 »»
Sep 18, 11:57 AM

» Is this just another SAO clone?

did4375 - Jun 2

36 by Pedropaulo777 »»
Aug 17, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.