Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 7:19 AM

Oct 2016
I hope the decision and results are not reversed at the last moment.
Jun 23, 7:23 AM

Dec 2012
They don't make anime like this anymore.
PUNISHED Kumiko: a girl denied her national soli.
Jun 23, 7:25 AM
Nov 2023
I found Taki's comment, "I still have a lot to learn," to be interesting. I don't think that occurred to him and he realized at that moment how he screwed up in Kumiko's first year. if he had been more experienced, he probably would have done that and spared them a lot of unnecessary drama.

In fact, the auditions should have been blind from the beginning, then he wouldn't have been accused of favoritism to Reina and have been forced to redo the auditions.

In spite of what reina thinks, Taki is learning along with them.

I don't really know how I feel about this season extracting the maximum amount of drama possible for any given event. On the one hand, it makes for great anime, on the other... they have been at each others' throats all season, Reina and Kumiko included. Reina was forced here to make a decision, and she chose being special, and Taki, over Kumiko. I think Kumiko understood that, in fact, she would not have expected any less from Reina. It's funny, though, how all this time, Reina was putting the responsibility for playing with her on Kumiko, and she ended up being the one who had to decide.

Ultimately, though, I think this was a good bookend for their relationship. the first time they ended up on daikichi, they became close friends. the second time, they mended their relationship. this time, they began to say goodbye to each other. mount daikichi... the place where they found, and lost, love. I mean, maybe they'll stay close their entire life, but... what they had here, they'll never have in the same way again.

I have never thought their relationship was intended to be yuri-baiting, at the most, a hamhanded attempt at having their cake and eating it too with the yuri crowd. I did think that it's intended to show a very close female friendship, and it was always intended to end someday, at least in this form. that's realistic. I wonder how Shuuichi will turn out. kumiko and shuuichi never seemed a great fit, so they'll probably end up together. but then kyoanimjust shredded the light novels, so who knows anymore.

Very good episode. I still don't think this season measures up to season 2, but maybe it's not supposed to. it has its own reason to be.
lycopingJun 23, 7:34 AM
Jun 23, 7:26 AM
Dec 2014
Reply to Azenime
Those who say this is shitty writing, just look at the vote and see how many ppl like it.. Im sad too man, but this is the same feels that I had when watching this anime year ago.
@Azenime JUst look like how many fly like sh.t, so that must be yummy. :D
Basically this is what u say, when u think its good because many votes.
Jun 23, 7:30 AM
Dec 2014
Ah, they massacred this brutally in the end.
I was understanding about the lack of performances, some guy said that this season is about the drama. But if i see the whole picture now, even the plot is messy as f.ck, half assed new characters, mostly unexplained dramas and in the end they even reused that yuri bait scene to give some fanservice to the plebs, basically confessing that they have no idea for the plot.
Jun 23, 7:31 AM

May 2015
I feels so sad for Kumiko who just loss her last occasion for the concert. Why didn't you choose her Reina ?
Jun 23, 7:36 AM
Jan 2016
Reply to CrazyFrogz
@-Stray Yes they change the plot. In light novel Kumiko win the final solo, also yes this script change got approval by Takeda> More like this and last episode will be anime original.
@CrazyFrogz why last episode is original?
Jun 23, 7:38 AM
Jun 2021
Assyn said:
@Azenime JUst look like how many fly like sh.t, so that must be yummy. :D
Basically this is what u say, when u think its good because many votes.

Relax.. I respect your opinion, If u think it shet u can keep it to yourself mate. I just stating an opinion that base on a fact. I do feel it rushed, but it still hit the spot so I'm satisfied and happy :D
Jun 23, 7:57 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the people who voted disliked it obviously wanted Kumiko and those who voted hated it obviously just dont like Mayu LOL

Kumiko 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Jun 23, 8:05 AM

Nov 2023
I'm feeling happy, sad , depressed and at the same time fulfilled well that's what you can expect in this show.

well done Kyoani ♡

One more episode remains let's see how it ends.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jun 23, 8:07 AM
May 2021
truly a beautiful masterpiece, it left me crying for half an hour
Jun 23, 8:08 AM

Oct 2017
How come?
Where's the plot armor? 😭

Jun 23, 8:15 AM
Jun 2007
Aha. Unexpected ending for soli.

Jun 23, 8:20 AM
Aug 2021
Wait, I guess I somewhere quest locked the "GOOD ENDING". Man might have to New Game + the fuck out of the original Novel for the 'GOOD ENDING". AHH MANNNNN...
Jun 23, 8:26 AM
May 2024
The thing that came to my mind after watching this episode was ridiculous!! to hell with Mayu's past, I waited years just to see Kumiko and Reina cs appear on stage again but what!? Kyoani is looking for trouble again and this isn't the first time!! Not only is it different from the light novel, but the scene where Reina has to choose Soli's candidate, which indirectly seems like she is betraying Kumiko, also tends to be forced. It was very painful to see Kumiko's expression when Mayu came forward. I don't even know how long I cried because of it.

However, the positive thing that can be seen here is that Kumiko is very wise as a leader. She knows what is best for Kitauji, even though in kumiko heart it must be painful for her. Reina might make a logical decision but still I don't really like her. Kumiko kept her promise that she would never betray Reina, while Reina indirectly betrayed and hurt Kumiko. Kanade is now officially one of my favorite characters. Even though she didn't pass the audition, she always supported Kumiko wholeheartedly

It's interesting to wait for the final episode or maybe not...
Well, what is clear is that Kyoani must be responsible for at least making Kumiko and Reina kiss or have a confession of love from both of them. At least maybe it can reduce the anger of fans who are disappointed with this new script [different from the LN]. It feels like Kumiko's three years of effort were in vain because of Mayu's presence who appeared out of nowhere and now my interest in Hibike Euphonium is starting to wane thanks to this absurd episode

KUMIKO THE BEST GIRL ❤️❤️❤️

MAYU THE MOST F**KED GIRL 🤬
Jun 23, 8:29 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to Soteerios
I don't normally comment on episode threads, but the lack of reading comprehension is so much that I have to. Some comments are saying that Reina chose Mayu because she couldn't recognize who was who. Reina was crying exactly because she KNEW that Kumiko was the second player, but she decided to uphold her ideal of the best player playing, even if it goes against her personal wish, even if it hurts. And Kumiko did the same thing; she told Taki-sensei to make sure the class doesn't know who is playing, so that results are going to be fair. She didn't have to do that; had they just played in front of everyone normally, Kumiko would have gotten the part. She did it to uphold her ideal, even if it hurts.
@Soteerios

Exactly. Am surprised too that this many people understood it.

Tho if the skills were so close to each other, it wouldn't hurt to take kumiko but well whatever, the meaning is to stay true to each self.
Jun 23, 8:39 AM
Jun 2022
Damn it, this is why Reina should take back her words on that day. 😭😭😭

I MISS OGASAWARA SENPAI!!!
VickyAlexJun 23, 8:51 AM
Jun 23, 8:43 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to ineser
Aha. Unexpected ending for soli.

@ineser I don't think you need to put spoiler tags if all you're talking about is the current episode, considering this is the episode discussion thread lol.
Average MAL user's media literacy:
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
Jun 23, 8:50 AM
Apr 2024
I loved the parallel between this scene and the audition scene in their first year. Both were upsets, where the new member was chosen over the president, and we even have Kanade playing the part of Yuuko, crying over wanting their presidents to play.

While Kanade doesn't show it nearly as much as Yuuko did with Kaori, she really does admire Kumiko. I hope she becomes president next year, and I hope Kumiko also passes down to her the "Hibike Euphonium" solo she got from Asuka.
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 23, 8:51 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to -Stray
It made me happy when I thought Kumiko was gonna play the soli but nope! They decided to fck with us again and made both of them audition for it, as if I wasnt already pissed because Kanade wasnt even picked to play but they keep on pulling this shit.
Kanade cheering and then crying for Kumiko hurt me, my home girl just wanted her most beloved senior to play the soli and if possible play along side her but she couldnt get neither of those. I truly feel for her. She has added so much spice to this show! I swear these eupho girls are amazing! First Natsuki and then Kumiko and Kanade. Fck Mayu and her sappy ass story, I dont fckin buy her shit at all, she is devious! Literally ruined the whole season with her repetitive lines and awkward inserts.

Btw I also didnt know whom was playing first and second, before the characters picked I chose no.2 as well, it just hit me more than no.1. I got so pissed when Mayu got picked with Reina being the deciding factor to top it. Reina has pissed me a lot since her whole “Taki is God, everything he says is right” bs but this time around when she started crying and apologizing to Kumiko I felt that shit, she was really hurt esp since she knew she picked Mayu.

So yeah, pretty good episode with the usual drama, Kanade and Reina scenes with Kumiko made me cry.

Also I just searched up spoilers for hibike and from what I’ve read

This still doesnt sit right with me. A character whom we’ve seen grow so much since season 1, and a random character who just appeared out of nowhere to take the spotlight away from her… this is demonic af kyoani, do yall hate us!?
@-Stray wholeheartedly agree. I’m furious. This is definitely not the result I wanted.
Jun 23, 8:53 AM
Feb 2023
Very disappointing episode simply because the drama felt very forced due to some poor writing and pacing this season. It's all been badly rushed and the narrative has suffered as a result; this season's storylines should have been spread over two seasons, not one. The new characters introduced this season and in the movie and OVA haven't been given the writing time to show proper development.

I haven't hated this season but I certainly haven't loved it as much as the first two seasons.
Jun 23, 9:05 AM
Sep 2020
I knew Kumiko was the second one. They almost at the same level but I really doubt kumiko was the second and it was.
Jun 23, 9:05 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to FireFistYK
Lol, they just had to go and make another big change from the novels and fuck this all up.

So fucking stupid and all in the name of showcasing "realism"

A GOAT show only to be letdown by the writers deciding to go anime original
@FireFistYK I don't understand this POV. IMO, if I'm watching an adaptation and it's the exact same story, it'd get boring.

Narratively, at least within this anime, it made more sense that Kumiko lost, and it made sense that it was Reina that made the final call. After the constant parroting that "Kitauji is a meritocracy", and after it benefitted them in their first year, they now have to face the consequences when it's not in their favor. As heartbreaking as it was for them, both Kumiko and Reina stayed true to their values and handled it beautifully.
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 23, 9:07 AM

May 2019
Damn I also vote for the second player, why would they need to fuck with us with such result. Wait a minute, what do you mean the outcome of the blind audition was changed for the anime? It hurts to see Kanade crying for Kumiko like that and yet I didn't feel a thing on that last scene at the mountain. Why Reina really need to disappoint us with picking the first one? The second one sound more duet to me and why would Reina still decided to choose Mayu if she knew it's her all along? Maybe Reina want to stay true to herself by all means but still this drama already dragged too long. It's only one episode left next week and I'm kinda not really interested to see actual competition because I really couldn't care less about them winning the gold either. This audition drama for these stretch episodes from start to end really meandering and absolutely the worst one in the series unfortunately. But I still applaused the voice crack acting from Kumiko's VA because damn it was a great acting and I'm still proud of Kumiko regardless of the ending of this season.
VivaceRexJun 23, 9:17 AM

Jun 23, 9:11 AM
Jul 2022
A fucking masterpiece of episode. I cried until I couldn't
Jun 23, 9:21 AM

Jan 2012
what a beautifully produced episode. from now on, when i see kyoto animation, i'll think of hibike euphonium
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jun 23, 9:39 AM
Mar 2016
The wrong choice was made and I question everyone's sense of hearing. The trumpet completely muted the first euphonium solo. It was as if it didn't want to make a sound, Reina overshadowed Kuroe's playing the entire time. When playing a solo together it should sound harmonious; with the two players coming together to enhance the piece being played.

I will admit that it was also muted when it was Kumiko's turn to play her solo. But later on, as the solo continues she rises to meet Reina and by the end, they rise together. Kumiko's playing was more clear and more pronounced compared to Kuroe's. I don't know how anyone couldn't tell the difference!

I've seen in the comments that this result doesn't follow the source material, making this outcome an anime exclusive. I don't mind that I think it's pretty smart since it keeps everyone watching guessing. But THIS, no way. Kuroe's playing wasn't good. I won't call it a solo with Reina, more like Reina playing the solo with euphonium accompaniment.
MoonRiverNightsJun 23, 9:42 AM
Jun 23, 9:43 AM
Aug 2014
Does anyone else find Taki insufferable? He is so annoying with how clueless and oblivious he acts every time Kumiko goes to talk to him. Really disappointed that Reina's lashing out on Kumiko has never been addressed. Her obsession with Taki and coming to his defense ruins her character for me.
Jun 23, 9:46 AM
May 2021
I'm speechless.
Hibike establishing once again why it's my favorite anime of all time
Jun 23, 10:00 AM

Jun 2016
WTF kyoani you ruined your best show
Jun 23, 10:12 AM
Mar 2020
Suck it up kids, this is how adults and society works.

If Kumiko and Reina wanted to stick with their ideals, they should stick with it. Sure, they'll get immense pain but I think both will be great adults, maybe like Taki-sensei.

Pacing is still garbage though, they essentially squeezed 24 Eps into 13 Eps, I think the more efficient way is that they should squeeze the Ensemble arc with this one, let's say 6 Episodes or so and show Natsuki and the gang graduating then we move into this one, 18 Eps would be enough for everything and could potentially be better, there are quite some holes with this one ngl especially we feel very detached to the 1st and 2nd year, like, the most important 2nd year character is Kanade and Ririka only.

But this anime is kino, ngl, garbage pacing for Hibike Euphonium standards, not in general and still 100% better than most drama anime.
Jun 23, 10:23 AM
Jul 2015
Reply to ChockuL
Am I the only one who thought Kumiko's eupho playing was better?? Makes me not accept the outcome
@ChockuL I also thought Kumiko's playing was better!!! Literally this whole time!! I also picked her during the blind audition. Her playing has more emotion to it imo. I honestly thought she would get the soli. (Apparently this is also different from the source material, which doesn't make sense to me, like what's the point in changing it.) The last scene with Kumiko and Reina was nice and feelsy and the animation was good, but idk if it was worth it. Unless something happens in the last episode, it just.....doesn't feel that great. Mayu was an okay character at best, but a really annoying one at most to me. She never actually said what she meant, her backstory was hinted at for so long and then it made sense when it was finally revealed but still???? It was dragged out for so long, and the pressure she kept putting on Kumiko felt very unfair, especially since Kumiko is the president and already has so much stress to deal with, why are you trying to make it worse? It felt a lot like like sabotage. It also made her character really difficult to like and enjoy, how can we feel happy she gets the soli when there's no connection to her. When they kept showing her in the trailers and it being all ~ominous~ I was really hoping she was actually going to be a good, enjoyable character too. Reina and Kumiko play so well together, I was rooting for them to play the soli together, not just for the feels, I honestly think Kumiko plays better. TT ^ TT Well still one more episode. I really love this series so I feel very strongly about it all.
Jun 23, 10:36 AM
Jan 2021
Anime doesn't get better than this
Bold move by the direction, they decided to stay true to themselves in an episode all about being genuine
Reina not choosing Kumiko even after recognizing her sound because she felt her wavering is probably the strongest thing she's done in the anime
And Kumiko has grown into such a splendid person that she can take pride in
because she genuinely was able to cheer for mayu, look her in the eye after she took what she wanted the most
The anime comes full circle too, with kanade being in yuuko's seat
I was teary eyed for like the first time in 5 years

I LOVE HIBIKE EUPHONIUM! ALLTIMER EPISODE
Jun 23, 10:37 AM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
One have to have balls of steel to make the decision for this.
Really unexpected, i don't know what to expect of the ending but lets see what they do.
Jun 23, 10:40 AM

Jun 2019
worst season ever no cap. feel like i wasted all the time watching from s1 lol. well its only 1 more ep whatever. If they ever make a sequel or something i will just wait and see the end instead of watching like this
Jun 23, 10:47 AM
Dec 2023
I’m exhausted and sad that Kumiko lost. It’s not at all what I wished for. She’s worked hard for 3 years but it just wasn’t enough. I would love to know if Reina regretted choosing Mayu over Kumiko. I just wonder what thoughts she had. I remember when I was in high school me and two other friends applied for a scholarship to study abroad. There were thousands and thousands of applicants for this scholarship but only 20 seats are available. There were like the auditions in Kitauji 3 stages. Two tests and an interview (actually two interviews an individual and group but they were after each other). One of my friends didn’t pass. I remember that day clearly. He called many times but I didn’t answer my phone. I didn’t what to say to him. I couldn’t feel happy that I passed even though it was my dream for years. But next day I decided to confront him. We talked and we both knew it was no one’s fault but it hurt a lot. Both moved on. Reina chose Mayu simply because she was better than Kumiko. I honestly can’t get over it just yet. Having already known what’s gonna happen in the novels I was shocked when Mayu stepped forward. I hope at least now Mayu can play with passion and love. I would hate it if the person who didn’t care about the results and the solo part wins takes Kumiko’s place. Good but heartbreaking and exhausting episode
Jun 23, 11:03 AM
Apr 2017
Don't change the novel.
Jun 23, 11:04 AM
Mar 2018
I don't know man.

In the beginning of the season, when Kumiko and Reina first heard Mayu playing, Reina said she was good but Kumiko was better. And she said that more than once througouth the season. So that time when she had the deciding vote I was sure Kumiko would be picked.

I don't think the dots were connected there.
Jun 23, 11:08 AM

Nov 2021
That episode really tore my heart out. As disappointed as I am I do feel like this was the best outcome. Kumiko was able to make resolutions with Mayu and grew as a person at the cost of the soli. If this were any other anime, they would probably make her win.
Jun 23, 11:13 AM
Mar 2015
Reina knew and still voted for the person she thought was best
Jun 23, 11:15 AM

Jul 2014
I gotta ask, whom did yall pick during the audition? I didnt know which was which and as much as I wanted Kumiko to play I chose no.2 because it didnt just sound better but resonated with me, it also blended well with the trumpet like it wasnt losing soundwise unlike the 1st one where the sound was quite weak.
I wanna know if theres a lot of us that felt the same way or my hearing is just bad.
Jun 23, 11:20 AM

Oct 2022
Reply to ChockuL
Am I the only one who thought Kumiko's eupho playing was better?? Makes me not accept the outcome
@ChockuL fr tho!! regardless of whose play was it, I expected the second one to be the winner
)
Jun 23, 11:32 AM
Sep 2018
Looks like they switched things up from the light novel since apparently Kumiko was meant to win and I guess thats fine as long as they dont change the ending. I want to see the authors vision for the series not an anime original ending.
Jun 23, 11:32 AM
Mar 2018
A brilliant episode, I thought.

I'm glad we finally got to the bottom of Kuroe's story; her talk with Kumiko felt so cathartic to me! The audition itself was pretty tense, and I liked that they were blind auditions even to the viewer. I almost cried with Kuroe during Kumiko's speech.

The moment shared between Reina and Kumiko was beautiful. I loved how honest both of them were; in playing, in voting, and in telling their emotions. Oh, and the scene with Kanade was sweet, too; I really grew to like the girl this season!
Jun 23, 11:42 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to ChockuL
@ChockuL It's understandable since Kumiko's play was more like a conversation on equal ground, but had mistakes on the tempo.
Mayu's performance was more of a support highlighting the trumpet. It was more precise and no mistakes on the tempo and managed to even get the fine harmonics right.

If they were playing for a crowd it would be the more appealing choice to go with Kumiko's performance. In the competition though, Kumiko's lack of precision probably loses more points between the two.
Jun 23, 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
Personally, I am all for realism and bad ending in anime. However, it depends on the story and the place to do it. And this is not it. Not when the story still goes on after this, especially the national competition. Winning gold in national has been the goal of the series and the characters’ since the very beginning of season 1. And having a transfer student who joined 70% into the show to play a main part to (likely) finally achieve it would be very underwhelming and even undeserved. Thanks to this, I am no longer excited for the national competition and their performance that I have been waiting for all season.

To make it worse, I did find the second player to be much better in the blind audition.

It is a shame because the entire season so far has been absolute cinema, as well as the Kumiko & Reina scene at the end except it only happened because of some poor decision/writing.

As a side note: I like the fact that Taki admitted his shortcomings as a teacher in front of Kumiko. That explains his poor decision/incompetency in the 2nd audition and competition.
Jun 23, 11:48 AM
Sep 2023
I will never forget this masterpiece.
Jun 23, 12:01 PM
May 2024
I LOVE THIS ANIME.

Even though this season is the weakest, in my opinion, in terms of characters and due to the fast pace, I still really like everything as it is developed.

Tense and melodramatic episode, my eyes filled with water and the tears slowly flowed, at the same time I felt a pain in my chest due to the decision...
Jun 23, 12:02 PM

Jan 2022
Absolute cinema. The buildups paid off wonderfully.

Sound Euphonium is more of a Kumiko anime than a music anime. Thematically, Kitauji winning gold in Nationals but Mayu in the soli is the strongest statement of Kumiko's character development. Can safely say that me rooting for this outcome was an unpopular opinion. I thought KyoAni would not proceed thinking (rightfully) it's too risky, but these madlads actually did it.
Jun 23, 12:02 PM
Jul 2013
I'm about to accept that Kumiko did not chosen but then
anyone who have read the novel please explain to me, is this lead to a better ending with what Kumiko submit on her career survey form?

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Your favorite OSTs from the series?

gprime70 - 4 hours ago

1 by NotaMasterpiev »»
32 minutes ago

» It's over bros. No more Kumiko from now on. I am not sure how to cope. Thank you KyoAni for this.

cythraul - Jun 30

38 by Laplace_kun »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

164 by Roqueiro »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ultimate Hibike! Euphonium Best girl poll

cythraul - Jun 30

34 by nirererin »»
2 hours ago

» Good for you Shuuichi SPOILERS

MrRant - Jun 30

13 by Laplace_kun »»
7 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.