Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 2, 3:51 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to Seansy
Marinate1016 said:
Mahiru rep took a major hit in this one for me. She’s gonna have to redeem herself. Came off very snakey.

I disagree pretty strongly with this take.

Mahiru told Kano about the meeting with her mom. Asked her directly about her issue with her mom. She even asked Mei for more details about her mom after Kano declined to elaborate. Not to mention Kiui's advice about putting herself first is extremely accurate. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for Mahiru. She did her best to approach the issue as honestly and directly as possible as she navigated her own conflicting feelings about considering this job offer.

That isn't to say I don't expect her to reconcile with Kano in some fashion later, I seriously doubt she is going to totally sell out for the corporate option given the themes in this story.
@Seansy I completely agree with your take.
Jun 2, 3:51 PM

Apr 2010
Reply to WatchTillTandava
One thing I'd like to question about the way certain events went down this episode, if anyone has any insight to contribute to provide any clarification of it (I actually briefly entertained the idea of creating a separate thread topic, but decided just to ask and keep it here), is about the scene at the episode's very beginning.

Why exactly was Kano being laughed at and mocked by other people in the classroom over the essay she outlined or read about each student's "Future Dreams"? And the people standing in the back of the classroom mainly shown laughing were adults - Were they other teachers or parents of her other classmates? Or was there something I'm failing to understand about this scene and it's just symbolic? It seemed like a legitimate flashback and not a dream, daydream, or hallucination, so that's why I found it perplexing.

The main area of confusion is why exactly would she be laughed at and derided over something like that, and so uniformly by the majority or nearly everyone else in the classroom? I'm all for passionately keeping and speaking about your interests, goals, beliefs, etc. even if they're not popular or seen as weird or disliked by others. But in this case it didn't even seem like that. It seems to me a perfectly typical and common expectation that a lot of kids will want to emulate their parents' careers and lives if they admire and have a good enough relationship with them. And it isn't even like her mom has some super misunderstood or niche, oddball job that is something I would think would be mocked or looked down upon by general society. She's a super successful producer in the music industry! Isn't Kano stating that she wants to take after her something you'd think would be super normal, expected, and even lauded? Such a bizarre and incomprehensible reaction and scene to me.

And if we're really to believe that this kid or teen girl would be openly sneered at and mocked, even by all the adults, just for proclaiming that she wants to be like her mother who is a successful business person, then I'd have to say that bit of drama falls very weak or flat for me, and represents kind of the small issue I have about the believability of some of the drama in the series overall. Kano is pretty, musically/artistically talented and gifted, given access to a platform to hone her talents and enjoys success and celebrity status, and comes from a family that, while I assume not mega rich, is at least very comfortable and upper middle class secure where she can have access to most things. People like that can still have plenty of problems, especially internally and psychologically, but I don't really "buy" it when problems are invented for them that they wouldn't realistically have. Like in the classroom example I pointed to from the first scene, if that was indeed what was happening. The "world" - as in, many human beings, is plenty pettily and unforgivingly cruel and ignorant, but that still isn't something which would ever conceivably be treated like that in that type of situation. At least it seems senseless to me. A girl saying that she wants to take after her successful mother - Oh no! What a freak!

I'm not at all averse to Kano having her own problems growing up and still now, and in fact welcome them and their exploration, but a problem like that just doesn't seem plausible and as such not compelling.
@WatchTillTandava it was the parents day, her mother wasn't there to defend her daughter.

Her mother was just starting a new business then, if you read Kano literally said she started that year, wasn't a successful businesswomen yet.
TiagoCostaJun 2, 3:54 PM
Jun 2, 4:01 PM
May 2023
One thing I'd like to question about the way certain events went down this episode, if anyone has any insight to contribute to provide any clarification of it (I actually briefly entertained the idea of creating a separate thread topic, but decided just to ask and keep it here), is about the scene at the episode's very beginning.

Why exactly was Kano being laughed at and mocked by other people in the classroom over the essay she outlined or read about each student's "Future Dreams"? And the people standing in the back of the classroom mainly shown laughing were adults - Were they other teachers or parents of her other classmates? Or was there something I'm failing to understand about this scene and it's just symbolic? It seemed like a legitimate flashback and not a dream, daydream, or hallucination, so that's why I found it perplexing.

The main area of confusion is why exactly would she be laughed at and derided over something like that, and so uniformly by the majority or nearly everyone else in the classroom? I'm all for passionately keeping and speaking about your interests, goals, beliefs, etc. even if they're not popular or seen as weird or disliked by others. But in this case it didn't even seem like that. It seems to me a perfectly typical and common expectation that a lot of kids will want to emulate their parents' careers and lives if they admire and have a good enough relationship with them. And it isn't even like her mom has some super misunderstood or niche, oddball job that is something I would think would be mocked or looked down upon by general society. She's a super successful producer in the music industry! Isn't Kano stating that she wants to take after her something you'd think would be super normal, expected, and even lauded? Such a bizarre and incomprehensible reaction and scene to me.

And if we're really to believe that this kid or teen girl would be openly sneered at and mocked, even by all the adults, just for proclaiming that she wants to be like her mother who is a successful business person, then I'd have to say that bit of drama falls very weak or flat for me, and represents kind of the small issue I have about the believability of some of the drama in the series overall. Kano is pretty, musically/artistically talented and gifted, given access to a platform to hone her talents and enjoys success and celebrity status, and comes from a family that, while I assume not mega rich, is at least very comfortable and upper middle class secure where she can have access to most things. People like that can still have plenty of problems, especially internally and psychologically, but I don't really "buy" it when problems are invented for them that they wouldn't realistically have. Like in the classroom example I pointed to from the first scene, if that was indeed what was happening. The "world" - as in, many human beings, is plenty pettily and unforgivingly cruel and ignorant, but that still isn't something which would ever conceivably be treated like that in that type of situation. At least it seems senseless to me. A girl saying that she wants to take after her successful mother - Oh no! What a freak!

I'm not at all averse to Kano having her own problems growing up and still now, and in fact welcome them and their exploration, but a problem like that just doesn't seem plausible and as such not compelling.
WatchTillTandava said:
This flashback was there for us to understand that Kano endured the same taunts as her mother in order to start from scratch, and now her mother is treating her like this.
Jun 2, 4:03 PM

Jun 2019
TiagoCosta said:
it was the parents day, her mother wasn't there to defend her daughter.

Her mother was just starting a new business then, if you read Kano literally said she started that year, wasn't a successful businesswomen yet.

The English subtitles in the version I was watching said this: "This year, my mom left the big production company and became the president of her very own company. I love how my mom is so cool and good at her job."

She was already part of a big production company before, so that implies some degree of success, no? And then, yes, it's true that her changing positions and striking out on her own only happened "this year", but then to go on to become president of her own company to me implies she was even more successful than she would have been if she stayed and left because she was rising in power and influence on her own. I just can't believe that would be something to insult and laugh at in that context. But I mean, even if she's not the #1 top executive of the entire entertainment industry of Japan, it doesn't seem like she'd be viewed, at least, as any less successful than any other parent of the kids there. You would still (at least I would) think she'd be viewed as one of the, if not the, most successful.

I could understand if like, her mother was a formally unemployed wandering street artist or something controversial or viewed as a poor person's job, but she worked at a big production company and then started her own. These people's standards are over the top!
WatchTillTandavaJun 2, 4:06 PM
Jun 2, 4:05 PM

Apr 2010
TiagoCosta said:
it was the parents day, her mother wasn't there to defend her daughter.

The English subtitles in the version I was watching said this: "This year, my mom left the big production company and became the president of her very own company. I love how my mom is so cool and good at her job."

She was already part of a big production company before, so that implies some degree of success, no? And then, yes, it's true that her changing positions and striking out on her own only happened "this year", but then to go on to become president of her own company to me implies she was even more successful than she would have been if she stayed and left because she was rising in power and influence on her own. I just can't believe that would be something to insult and laugh at in that context. But I mean, even if she's not the #1 top executive of the entire entertainment industry of Japan, it doesn't seem like she'd be viewed, at least, as any less successful than any other parent of the kids there. You would still (at least I would) think she'd be viewed as one of the, if not the, most successful.

I could understand if like, her mother was a formally unemployed wandering street artist or something controversial or viewed as a poor person's job, but she worked at a big production company and then started her own. These people's standards are over the top!
@WatchTillTandava Japan is a very risk adverse country.

Leaving a big company to go solo isn't seen with good eyes by the general population.
Jun 2, 4:05 PM
May 2023
Reply to Royalty459
While Kano was definitely out of line yelling at Mahiru, her anger is justified. She was promised that they'd finish the mv by new years, only to go work for Kano's mother and ditched their plan. Also, she knows Kano and her mom don't have a good relationship, so why not ask Kano about their relationship before saying yes to her mother? At this point, it doesn't seem like JELLY will last because there's too much miscommunication. That ending with Kano in her room hurt my soul

SHe doesn't have a room, she sleeps at her workplace
Jun 2, 4:09 PM

Oct 2008
Reply to Selaphii
I think they're both in the wrong but at varying degrees. Kano.. should've exposed everything. I don't understand what's keeping her mouth shut about the whole deal, when she has no ties left with her mother or the group. The best moment to defend herself was when it happened, by taking pictures of that phone, or telling the story in the middle of the scandal.. and the next best moment is the present, because if she explained everything to Mahiru, it would've been clear how much of a narcissistic snake her mom is, and Mahiru could've made an informed decision on whether to accept the job or not. The cherry on top was her hurtful words at the end, there's no going back from that, which makes me think she's more in the wrong than Mahiru.

Now for our artsy girl, I think she really really wants to improve and feel satisfied with her craft/future career. Kano always encourages her no matter the quality, and it's not what she needs to grow. BUT when you hear someone who is clearly an enemy of your friend not even call her by her real name (mom said Nonoka instead of Kano), there should be some red flags there. Not just that, the worst part is that she already made plans and had a promise with Jelee. She's just a kid, but she has dreams of becoming a pro, right? A professional should honor their previous commisions and promises, otherwise they'll obviously get a bad rep and upset feelings all around. I understand it's her big break, but she should've discussed it a lot more with the group before making a decision.

Overall I think the situation was expected with the way things were going and lack of communication, but I don't really see how they'll mend their relationship after the hurtful words that were said. Hope they can still fix things and work it out together. but probably not in the next 1-2 episodes.
Selaphii said:
I think they're both in the wrong but at varying degrees. Kano.. should've exposed everything. I don't understand what's keeping her mouth shut about the whole deal, when she has no ties left with her mother or the group.

If you look at the scene when she talks, sadly about her mom not needing her anymore on episode 6, and now at the end of this ep, where she goes how the jelee fame made mom actually notice mahiru, instead of herself, it seems to indicate Kano still wants/wishes for her mom to call her back. She is probably in denial, can't full accept that her mom is a bad person, so doesn't want to talk about it to others as it would be admitting her mom is bad and not care for her. As some pointed, Kano 100k followers objective being twice the amount of audience from Yukine's dream, she may have deep inside made that goal expecting it could prove to her mom she is worth being invested into and being called back.
"There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."
The Jedi Code
Jun 2, 4:18 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Myetx
@Seansy I completely agree with your take.
@Myetx Appreciate ya.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things get resolved.
Jun 2, 4:55 PM

Apr 2018
Reply to Hormigo
@Moppit In my case I say that it is a forced drama because I know (although I could be wrong) that everything in this drama in the following chapters will be resolved in the simplest way. I have already seen many dramas of these and they always end the same way. I have seen the cliché of the Japanese mother, absent, with a lack of affection for her children, so many times that I have already assimilated it. how do I say redemption in the end and all happy"
@Hormigo
'Forced' is not the word you're looking for here.
That implies that it wasn't properly foreshadowed, doesn't have a basis in either the characters or the story so far and came entirely out of nowhere - which is the opposite of what's happening here, even by your own admission.
By that same logic every single battle shounen, every romance, sports anime, greek tragedy, heroic fantasy and so on are all forced because they all follow the same narrative beats, same story structure, employ the same tropes and work towards the same ending. But that doesn't make those plots forced, it makes them predictable.
So sure, you could call this show predictable, but you'd just be tilting at windmills. Tropes aren't inherently good or bad and this show is utilising them to concisely tell a coherent story in only 12 episodes. And personally I'd rather have a well told story where actions have logical consequences, than an incoherent mess that's trying too hard to be unpredictable.
It's a coming of age drama and I'm glad it's not trying to be something it's not.
Jun 2, 5:36 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to anttails
What if... Koharu was one of the Rainbow Girls?
@anttails who is she again?
Jun 2, 7:08 PM

Feb 2019
Seansy said:
Marinate1016 said:
If you don’t agree doesn’t affect me.

You say that, but you responded 1 minute after my post and edited the post again 8 minutes later while on vacation... I think you need to chill out and enjoy your vacation by turning off notifications for MAL.

I consider editing a previous post to call people "motherfuckers" for politely disagreeing with you to be "passive aggressive" behavior. Would it be better if I just called it rude? There are plenty of worse things I can call it lol.

Mfs is literally just another word for people online no way you’re this soft 💀
Jun 2, 7:23 PM
Oct 2020
Mom raised her purely for her dream and own ambitions and didn't help her when she voiced her troubles and concerns she only made her more dependable on her. Man her mom is good. I see how she was able to create and lead her own production company. She easily won Yoru over with her words. She really has no probably tossing aside her own daughter the first second she appeared to block her way or cause trouble. She doesn't see her daughter as Kano but "Nonoka Tachibana" a talented idol that's to be manipulated and exploited. Probably the most pain so far in an episode so far. I hope it stays that way and things only get better from now on. I'm also concerned about her dad. We don't really know anything about him but the way he was presented was not good. Hidden face, the unshaven beard, the voice everything just screams DANGER. Red flags everywhere. AGAIN THAT VOICE. I really hope the dad is actually good and the mom just keeping her daughter away for whatever reason but I feel this might be a case where both parents are trash. Well at least he actually calls her by her name instead of Nonoka so maybe he isn't that bad?

I said she doesn't really seems to have any feels left towards her daughter kinda before but for her schedule to just completely overlap seems it can't just be a coincidence. Probably just trying to break them apart or something. Anyways Kano's mom seems like a massive manipulating bitch so far.

This last image is just pure pain.
Jun 2, 7:28 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016
Seansy said:
Marinate1016 said:
If you don’t agree doesn’t affect me.

You say that, but you responded 1 minute after my post and edited the post again 8 minutes later while on vacation... I think you need to chill out and enjoy your vacation by turning off notifications for MAL.

I consider editing a previous post to call people "motherfuckers" for politely disagreeing with you to be "passive aggressive" behavior. Would it be better if I just called it rude? There are plenty of worse things I can call it lol.

Mfs is literally just another word for people online no way you’re this soft 💀
@Marinate1016

I've never heard it used that way. It doesn't describe it that way on Urban Dictionary either.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mfs

Maybe I'm just not as online as you are, but if you knew what a snake was than I would give you more credence to your interpretation on calling people Mfs online lol.
Jun 2, 7:29 PM

Feb 2019
Seansy said:
@Marinate1016

I've never heard it used that way. It doesn't describe it that way on Urban Dictionary either.

Maybe I'm just not as online as you are, but if you knew what a snake was than I would give you more credence to your interpretation on calling people Mfs online lol.

Why do you keep sending urban dictionary links instead of maybe talking to people online or just not commenting on things you don’t know about?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnglishLearning/s/TjIGDzKW0A

Anyway English clearly not your first language so you got it
Jun 2, 7:41 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016
Seansy said:
@Marinate1016

Why do you keep sending urban dictionary links instead of maybe talking to people online or just not commenting on things you don’t know about?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnglishLearning/s/TjIGDzKW0A

Anyway English clearly not your first language so you got it
@Marinate1016 Lmao, yes, clearly English isn't my first language because I'm not terminally online. Makes total sense.

FYI, the reddit post you are linking to says "Definitely not appropriate to say to someone you don’t know", so maybe you should work on your English yourself so you understand what you are reading. Calling people mfs for disagreeing with your wrong take is different than a generic statement about mfs making money on stocks that isn't directed at anyone.
Jun 2, 9:29 PM
Jul 2021
If the ending of this anime is not sweet, I will be very disappointed. Because this episode turned into one of the dramas that I don't like.
Jun 2, 10:39 PM

Oct 2022
kano needs to figure out she has the same personality as her mom, both latched onto mahiru at first sight to juice their bands up and neither really understands what the other is trying to do.
fgsfds
Jun 3, 12:58 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to TiagoCosta
@WatchTillTandava Japan is a very risk adverse country.

Leaving a big company to go solo isn't seen with good eyes by the general population.
@TiagoCosta I get that, but is it really reason enough for all present adults to openly laugh at a child dreaming to be like her mother? A reason for the other children, who have no idea how society works, to laugh too? I still don't understand that scene either.
Jun 3, 1:08 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to Kyragos
@TiagoCosta I get that, but is it really reason enough for all present adults to openly laugh at a child dreaming to be like her mother? A reason for the other children, who have no idea how society works, to laugh too? I still don't understand that scene either.
@Kyragos At the end of the day it’s a childish dream to have.

At that point seems like she was at elementary school, saying “I want to be like my parent” seems like something out of a pre school kid.

Kids have no filter, and like to act like they are older than what they actually are.
Jun 3, 1:21 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to TiagoCosta
@Kyragos At the end of the day it’s a childish dream to have.

At that point seems like she was at elementary school, saying “I want to be like my parent” seems like something out of a pre school kid.

Kids have no filter, and like to act like they are older than what they actually are.
@TiagoCosta For the children, I can understand in that regard. Not for all of the parents. But this is anime, I guess, reactions may be over the top, if only once. Screw my suspension of disbelief...
Jun 3, 2:22 AM

Apr 2015
It's objectively really well produced.
If something's contrived it might be that in a irl situation Mahiru would probably be able to do both, not have to commit to one or the other. She's an artist after all, not a performer.
But if we accept that she absolutely had to, everything else flows ok.
Jun 3, 5:19 AM
Feb 2024
I think both Mahiru and Kano have their motivation justified, and it's a beautiful episode while Kano's actor did a stellar job on her breakdown.

Only thing I would complain about is the ED being a bit too overdramatic. A couple of flashbacks of the 1st episode is fine but calling Yoru nonstop 100 times is just a bit too over the top, and portrays Mahiru like she betrays Kano's love(whatever the word "love" means to you). Although Mahiru isn't necessarily a villain.

Also I hope Kano's mom and her previous idol group stay being the villain for the rest of the season. It is an 8/10 story for now but might be 5/10 if for some reason, Kano's mom turns out to be having good intentions this time. It would make Kano look like an idiot trying to stop Mahiru, but I'm a bit worried the story might head this way consideration the previous episodes. Let's not forget unlike GBC or MyGO, the stake is much higher here and the split between Kano and her previous group was not because they have different opinions, but a real scandal which hurts other people and could be against the law.
Jun 3, 8:49 AM
Nov 2018
@WatchTillTandava It made say original series. If you go a little further down to the adaptation part. Apparently, there's a manga for it.
Jun 3, 8:55 AM

Jun 2019
Moppit said:
It made say original series. If you go a little further down to the adaptation part. Apparently, there's a manga for it.

Well yeah, but it's a manga based on the anime series rather than the other way around. A lot of original anime series get manga adaptations in this same way, which usually start being released at the same time and alongside the anime or some time after the anime debuts.

From the dates provided on their respective pages, if the dates are accurate, it looks as if the Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai manga started releasing on the exact same day, April 7th of this year, as the anime series, so anything released so far shouldn't be past the anime.
Jun 3, 9:26 AM

Jan 2018
My theories from past episode have completely changed. It has become clear that Kano's mom is not trying to indirectly advertise JELEE. I'm gonna call it, the mom doesn't care about Mahiru's talent. She realized JELEE rapidly gaining followers is a threat for her Sunflower Dolls performing at the Tokyo Dome. And her plan was to simply slow down the production of a new JELEE MV's by commisioning an enormous workload on one of their members.

By the way wtf is that mom's problem!? Forget not appearing at school to support Kano, calling her own daughter Nonoka as if that is her real name + that one frame with the look of disgust, she's beyond irredemable, and I hate her already. But shes a god dam sweet talker. Maybe she even smooth talked Mello into doing her dirty work with that yt channel.

On another topic, “you’re just a jellyfish that can’t swim” is such a peak insult. It's soo peak. Before hating Kano for being this cruel and making Mahiru cry, just look at her face the second she says it. She's clearly regretting saying that, and very much blasting her frustrations on her own life.

sezbian lex
Jun 3, 5:12 PM
Feb 2020
I can fix her... I can fix Kano.
Jun 3, 5:29 PM

Jan 2008
Was it just me that got really uncomfortable when Yukine was talking to Yoru? I don't know why... but my "Get the fuck out of there" alarm was ringing. I could be wrong, because this show does like to throw curve balls, but there's something unsettling about Yukine.

Edit: this post was made before finishing watching the episode. After finishing the episode, my alarms were not ringing loud enough.

On the other hand.... if you're going into the idol business, you know what it is. So I can't feel sorry for the girls that got caught smoking. They KNEW their image would tank if they were found out, and did it anyway. I know the industry shouldn't be that way, but it is. And you either play by its rules, or don't play at all.

And on the punching thing... I can't really say that was the best move, Kano-chan. But, as we've seen this episode, Kano is not the best example of grace under fire. Yuru took critical damage on that last scene. Also, please keep Kano away from high places and sharp object for a while.

PS: Can someone tell me how Kano figured out Mero's password? I don't get it.
DmonHiroJun 3, 5:44 PM
Jun 3, 7:28 PM

Dec 2015
ngl that title drop actually took me out of the moment
in general those few last seconds of the argument feel like someone rushed through the script and cut out a bunch of lines just to make the time bracket

it just doesn't feel natural for Mahiru to go from shocked at Kano's outburst to full-on crying and "so that's what you thought about me?" within a span of two sentences that honestly didn't even feel that harsh at all

the "you wouldn't be doing this if not for me" thing they already thrown a bunch of times each other and acted like they're completely aware of that and fine with it?
and the title drop just sounded so goofy the actual meaning of those words came to me in such a delay I can't imagine Mahiru going through all those implied feelings of sadness, betrayal and resignation within a single sentence
Jun 3, 7:47 PM
Jul 2013
Let's see how this will pay off in the next episode or two.
Jun 3, 10:17 PM

May 2011
Reply to DmonHiro
Was it just me that got really uncomfortable when Yukine was talking to Yoru? I don't know why... but my "Get the fuck out of there" alarm was ringing. I could be wrong, because this show does like to throw curve balls, but there's something unsettling about Yukine.

Edit: this post was made before finishing watching the episode. After finishing the episode, my alarms were not ringing loud enough.

On the other hand.... if you're going into the idol business, you know what it is. So I can't feel sorry for the girls that got caught smoking. They KNEW their image would tank if they were found out, and did it anyway. I know the industry shouldn't be that way, but it is. And you either play by its rules, or don't play at all.

And on the punching thing... I can't really say that was the best move, Kano-chan. But, as we've seen this episode, Kano is not the best example of grace under fire. Yuru took critical damage on that last scene. Also, please keep Kano away from high places and sharp object for a while.

@DmonHiro
DmonHiro said:

Mero was a huge fan of Yukine so maybe part hunch but the password was her mom's birthday.
Jun 3, 11:34 PM

May 2021
Well I made a huge mistake watching this episode before bed. My God my heart was just ripped out for both Kano and Mahiru this week.

Getting to see Kano's flashback of what happened between her and Mero was absolutely insane. I actually jumped out of bed after watching her punch Mero in the face, that was high octane. I understand why she did it. Kano is a real one and doesn't want to climb the ladder through foul play. Just sucks that she basically destroyed the fake relationship she had with her mom / Sunflower Dolls group. Seems like her dad actually cared enough about her as a person to treat her like a daughter and listen to her. Though he wasn't real enough to get a whole frame of a face worth, so take that for whatever it means. What a terrible situation, I feel heartbroken for her.

Mahiru's ambition to improve her art is very believable. I felt a lot of feelings going back and forth, thinking that Mahiru really does need a chance to hone her craft, and that she was being bamboozled by Kano's mom. What a terrible situation x2! I hope for the sake of her mental that next week's episode helps find a middle ground between Mahiru and Kano. This sort of thing happening can absolutely ruin a friendship, and at worst push someone to do unspeakable things. Killer writing for this show, I am so bought in.

Mei and Kiui on the sidelines just speechless. I'm there with them after this week, I don't think there is anything you can do in that situation other than watch.
Jun 4, 1:36 PM
Mar 2011
When she had the chance, she immediately dumped her friend and when she justly accused her, she immediately got caught up in her words and became sincerely upset, but she doesn't see any problems behind her actions. She even asked for her mom behind her back and then directly. She realized she was doing wrong, but she wants a career and she accepts help from a woman who doesn't even call her daughter by her name.
Of course they'll all make up and everything will be fine, but that doesn't change the facts. She had enough sweet speeches from the big producer (who just threw out his own daughter when she “acquired” a defect) to break her promises, and it's not suspicious at all that it was her who paid attention to her. Maybe she thinks that by breaking up JELEE she can put her daughter back in the band, which obviously isn't as popular now.
Jun 5, 2:51 AM

Nov 2012
I dont hate drama, but this was a letdown.
I get they're young, I get that's how ppl really act sometimes, but yeah, now I cant even say there's a character in this show I can even like, maybe Baba but thats it, pretty sad.
I just hope we dont get an easy reconciliation and happy end bc that would be really dumb (dont even try to pull Mahiru at the end refuses the work to return and finish "somehow" the MV for the group bc taht would be a 1)

My Candies:

Jun 5, 11:25 AM
Jan 2023
They reach 100k followers, kinda huge. The big thing in this episode was Yoru taking on a job for Kano's mom. We get to find more about Kano's past, which is much needed.

Damn was this something, they really did this episode well, was very much full of emotion, very excited for next week's episode!
Jun 6, 12:22 AM
Oct 2019
What an emotional episode 😭
Finally learned the truth about Kano incident.

Usually when they drop title in the episode it makes us happy and excited, but sadly not this time.

But Damn that ending with Kano x Yoru flashbacks hit right in the kokoro.
Jun 6, 7:55 AM
May 2024
Reply to DmonHiro

@DmonHiro
DmonHiro said:

The Director revealed the password is Yukine's birthday.

Full twitter space
https://x.com/ryoppe0905/status/1796942582175662570
Jun 6, 10:27 AM
Nov 2022
Bruh, finally, the bomb exploded, everything exploded, everything went to shit, Kano couldn't stand it anymore and exploded with Mahiru, poor Mahiru, she doesn't deserve any of that.

Jun 6, 6:25 PM

Jan 2021
Disastrous, no real easy way out of that one. This is why you need a manager with a level head instead of having 4 highschoolers manage themselves. Maybe that one lady from the driving school can come help
負けたくない

Jun 7, 3:11 AM

Sep 2013
The only real hiccup is I'm not sure why Kano wouldn't tell Mahiru about what happened. Probably because Mahiru wouldn't have joined the project if she had the full picture.
But they've been together as a group for over a year at this point, and even when Mahiru asked Kano about her past and relationships, "I punched that girl because of X" or "my mother threw me out because of her evil plans" never came up.
Jun 8, 12:46 AM

Jun 2022
wow. this episode just hits me so hard. my favorite scenes were when kano found out mero owned the youtube acc and punched her (deserved >_>) but then everyone around her wasnt on her side at all, they just immediately post that shit on social media idk why they would do that tbh like wouldnt that stain sundolls' reputation? also the fact that her mom didnt even use her real name just her idol name made me so irritated. omg i knewww mahiru would accept the offer, i dont blame her bc she doesnt know anything about their relationship but she shouldve known its a red flag once her mother called her nonoka instead of kano. ohhh and that rie takahashi deliver on that scene and the music stops oooo chills and honestly i was pumped for it to happen, its kinda like shes yelling out what we wanna tell mahiru.

Jun 8, 10:33 AM

Jul 2017
HOO BOY, the divisive episode of the series to date, showing Kano and her aspirations to become a music producer, just like her mother. Unfortunately, reality is often harsh and not all accepting.

With the covert gig a massive success, JELEE moves forward, but with Mahiru being scouted for a gig that's way beyond her head from Kano's mother Yukine, even with Kiui's input, Mahiru wants a shot at it, but doesn't know how much this'll impact the mother-daughter relationship. Asking Mei....she's practically a Kano fan by her Nonotan moniker, but the real reality from a YouTube channel exposing the life of both Kano and the SunDolls, she practically holds the power of success and failure through the dark web of social media. The true terror comes when Mahiru consults with Kano about the job commission, which only means one thing: Kano's family dynamics are in real shit.

Yukine wanting Mahiru's work to push further, it's not wrong to question why she was chosen, and despite the rather lackluster art and illustration, she still sees potential within Mahiru. But regarding her own daughter, Yukine will not hesitate to put Kano up and down as she sees fit, being part of the SunDolls at first who entered because of higher-up connections. And through the same unassuming YouTube account, that soon becomes a nightmare for Kano, just as she begins to witness Mahiru's mesmerizing jellyfish mural. And those very same actions came back to bite her in the worst way possible.

Between Yukine's gig and JELEE's MV, Mahiru has decided to take Yukine's gig on, and Kano going on a rage not understanding that the former doesn't know of her backstory, it creates only the worst of her, begrudgingly only left behind like her past self.

The relationship of Mahiru and Kano, this is the official breaking point, and how will this affect their kindred going forward?
Jun 10, 3:11 AM
Jan 2024
Kano reaction to Yoru was heartbreaking!
Jun 12, 12:11 PM
May 2018
Reply to Marinate1016
Letterbox effect just hits so different in episodes like this. Masterful use of direction and cinematography. One of the most gut wrenching episodes I’ve seen recently.

Finally got Kano backstory and the world doesn’t deserve her. The way she idolised her mother and just wanted her acceptance while her mom couldn’t even be bothered to show up to her class on presentation day just broke my heart.. most parents would kill for a kid as pure and obedient as Kano, and her mom only cared about using her to further her career, gross.

Mahiru rep took a major hit in this one for me. She’s gonna have to redeem herself. Came off very snakey. Mfs are upset about me saying it, but planning all this stuff with Yukine when you know she and Kano aren’t on good terms and Kano has had some family issues in the past is very snakey to me! Yes, I get that she wants to advance her own career and grow to love her art and herself, that’s very valid, but I’m not working with my best friend’s mom who I know she has beef with or at least aren’t on good terms. It’s just messy.

And even during Mahiru and Yukine meeting you can already see signs. Like when Mahiru brought up Kano and she’s like “oh you mean Nonoka” she don’t even see her daughter as a person just as a commodity or product. Just like she sees Mahiru’s art the same. Calling Mahiru “sensei” and gassing her shit up.. she’s not slick man 💀 she’ll turn on you just like she did Kano when it’s no longer convenient.

The other thing for me is if you really feel like you doing nothing wrong, you wouldn’t even feel the need to call Kano and get her blessing. The fact Mahiru did that tells me she knew this was something that she probably shouldn’t be doing. Kano was clearly skeptical otp about it too 🤷🏾‍♂️ do I think Mahiru is a horrible person? No, but she did some snake shit. But again, respect to Yaku sensei for creating a situation that could very much happen irl because girlfriends can be messy as hell.

Talked about all that and ain’t even get into Mero running the YouTube expose page. That’s so fucking gross and Kano was very justified for punching her in the face. I’d rather lose the right way than win the wrong way and kano clearly felt the same.

Now Kano did say some nasty shit at the end to Mahiru but you know, Mahiru deserved it 🤷🏾‍♂️ and Kano was just desperate to not lose the only friends she’s had. After seemingly finally escaping her loner past and developing relationships now she sees her closest friend potentially drifting away from her with her MOTHER of all people, the same mother who when told her daughter’s concerns about not having friends or fitting in just brought up her dream of selling out Tōkyō some. ofc she’d snap.

Could go on and on about it but it was amazing, didn’t even touch on everything I want to but I’m on vacation and need to go to the beach lmao. This episode fucked me up though. 10/10 as usual from my goat Yaku sensei. If there’s ever a Tomozaki s3 and 4 it’ll have stuff like this too.
@Marinate1016

Agree 100%. While I understand Yoru doing this for herself she failed to really take Kano into consideration. Seemed more like she only mentioned it to her to make herself feel less guilty about it. The fact that she felt guilty at all shows she’s completely aware of their strained relationship. She fell for the mom’s words and failed to even recognize that she doesn’t see Kano as a daughter (calling her Nonoka, gross). She even directly heard from the other girl that the mom is shady af and probably covering stuff up. If she really cared about the truth why didn’t she address it with her either during the meeting? I could never betray my best friend for something like this, especially given the popularity and direction JELEE was going in, she definitely would have had more opportunities in the future. Kano is wrong for saying what she did but she was clearly very deeply hurt.
Jun 12, 12:17 PM

Feb 2019
meaganita said:
@Marinate1016

Agree 100%. While I understand Yoru doing this for herself she failed to really take Kano into consideration. Seemed more like she only mentioned it to her to make herself feel less guilty about it. The fact that she felt guilty at all shows she’s completely aware of their strained relationship. She fell for the mom’s words and failed to even recognize that she doesn’t see Kano as a daughter (calling her Nonoka, gross). She even directly heard from the other girl that the mom is shady af and probably covering stuff up. If she really cared about the truth why didn’t she address it with her either during the meeting? I could never betray my best friend for something like this, especially given the popularity and direction JELEE was going in, she definitely would have had more opportunities in the future. Kano is wrong for saying what she did but she was clearly very deeply hurt.

Thank God some people here actually have common sense. The amount of people who tried arguing me down on this was absurd. Appreciate you fr
Jun 13, 4:19 PM
Jun 2021
GOODBESS GRACIOUS THAT HIT HARD
Jun 14, 1:55 PM

Mar 2010
HibiChika said:
kano is such an insufferable control freak. imagine being her, that could never be mee.

Tru but not cool how Yoru is ditching the homies. a promise is a promise. I was hoping Kano would give her the royal punch in da face, As they say this will hurt me more than you *bro punch* lol but also kek

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 15, 7:36 PM
Feb 2021
This is so good but so depressing 🥲🥲. I understand Mahiru's perspective but idc I'd still be mad as hell, No Loyalty that's nasty. I would never engage with my friends piece of shit mom like that.
Jun 18, 11:20 AM
Sep 2017
there's gonna be riot!
Jun 24, 1:32 PM
Feb 2015
Reply to ImmortalZero
Now that we have a better look at the past man this was mostly all Kano's fault... You don't just suddenly slug someone like that especially in front of journalists like that. Hell she had the chance to just show the smartphone to the people there for the better results. Then those last few minutes, Jesus girl you are rotten to the core.
@ImmortalZero nah man, mainly Yukine's fault for being a shitty mother and shitty trainer or whatever tf she's doing to make her shitty dream come true
for one, definitely bad that Kano slugged the jealous girl like no tomorrow whilst the journalists are around but as a teen going through puberty at her point having no proper childhood where she was living life as a kid and just propped up to be her mum's trophy, she probably wasn't taught how to behave properly and when the scene happened, just let her emotions take over her thoughts
I definitely would have thought it would be better she show that bitch's phone to the public but her fear of not being the ideal star her mum wanted her to be instinctively felt from her mum's disappointment probably overwrote any of her thought's logic in showing the public that the bitch had a reason to be whacked to next century
sometimes as well when you're in the middle of serious adrenaline, you can't even act logically

I feel the end could have been avoided if Kano actually decided to sit down to talk about her past with everyone but like therapy, it's scary talking about your past trauma and coming to terms with it, especially when your mind is weak and haven't had proper closure on things that have happened in your life
I don't fully agree on Kano's thinking but in this series, I feel her mum is to blame for the way she ended up turning out to be, shitty woman doesn't even treat her daughter like her kid, just some throwaway pawn to her pipe-ass fucking dream
I wouldn't say Kano's rotten, she just needs serious help and that's what she hasn't even realized yet because she's running away from her trauma rather than coming to terms with it
Jun 25, 5:05 AM

Jun 2020
I'm glad they made Mahiru accepts the offer instead throwing bullshit like, "I won't accept it! Because I'm part of JELEE!" Though that Yukine auntie looks suspicious as hell.

“You’re just a jellyfish that can’t swim.” is totally an iconic insult. You've done it again, Kano. But we gotta blame your mom for all of these.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.