Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Apr 4, 11:13 AM
Mar 2022
The first season of the anime was in 2008 and now more than a decade has passed. I am really excited
Apr 4, 1:10 PM

Jul 2019
Nice and comfy - sort of the slice of fantasy that I had expected. Looking forward to this being my weekly chill time.
Apr 4, 1:21 PM

Jun 2019
ima wait for ep 2 🙏
Apr 4, 1:41 PM
Jul 2016
it actually follows the light novel
Apr 4, 2:22 PM
Feb 2021
my beloved, it's back :,)
Apr 4, 7:25 PM

Sep 2007
I don't know if it's because it's been too long I don't remember much of the "original Spice & Wolf" anime....but this ep 1 seems to make "more sense" [to me personally] than what I remember from the other one.
And what I mean by that is that I remember Holo in the "original anime" being super vague and technical [since day 1] to the point I got super annoyed with it half-way through. To be fair this IS only the 1st episode so I'll see...

edit: I have to say the tiny scene with (I'm guessing is) Holo talking to a "younger" girl also intrigues me. I'm not familiar with the source material at all but I can already theorize whom that is and if I'm correct... (please no one spoil me. I want to find out myself) then all the more reason I will try to sit through this series again despite my mixed feelings from the "original anime"
IkanoApr 4, 7:30 PM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Apr 5, 12:40 AM

Dec 2022
As someone who hasn't watched the original but has heard of it before and got interested in it after the reboot got announced and got a lot of hype, I can say that I'm already liking this a lot! Looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 5, 6:03 AM

Oct 2022
I haven't seen the original, but I like it so far.
I can see the two main characters banter is gonna be the main appeal of the show.
I already love their chemistry lol
Apr 5, 8:29 AM

May 2021
If the first episode was all that, I can't wait to see the next ones >.<

It arrived with EVERYTHING!!!! I loved Holo and her energy, their journey will be full of adventure and action.

That little spoiler right at the beginning with that child... huuuuum we already know how the two will end up eheh.

Apr 5, 8:38 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice first episode, the begin of a travel and a new adventure!!!
Well, animation quality with doubts!
Nice OP.

She wants to return to the North!!!
kekeke
Apr 5, 10:04 AM
Aug 2007
Maybe it gets better
Apr 5, 10:34 AM

Nov 2013
1st i have to say i watched season1 like 4 years ago and since then i wanted to watch s2, but because of seasonals i don't have time/patience to watch old ones...

watching her again in this episode almost made me cry ... yeah i'll clearly watch this and rate it a 10 no matter what :D
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 5, 12:48 PM
Apr 2020
Soothing and beautiful. I loved the voice acting.
Apr 5, 2:05 PM
Dec 2023
Don't know if it was me waking up at 4 in the morning or this anime, but it has a super chill start(I'm saying chill and not slow because that could trigger people). Nothing much really going on, but people say it's good, so I'll give it a shot
Apr 5, 4:55 PM
Nov 2021
1st epsiode was very entertaining with some serious and some funny aspects.
Apr 5, 5:48 PM

Jul 2021
The premiere looked good, in terms of visuals, animation, music, vibes, and the voice work. It's eerie to hear Holo in the new art style sounding basically the same as before.

It's still a little strange to me how they chose the remake route, especially with the same story, staff and voice actors. At this point it doesn't feel like a re-interpretation or an improvement of the source material, it's just the same show all over again.
Apr 5, 6:00 PM

May 2015
Reply to perseii
The premiere looked good, in terms of visuals, animation, music, vibes, and the voice work. It's eerie to hear Holo in the new art style sounding basically the same as before.

It's still a little strange to me how they chose the remake route, especially with the same story, staff and voice actors. At this point it doesn't feel like a re-interpretation or an improvement of the source material, it's just the same show all over again.
@perseii I think their aim is not to reinterpret the first season but to lay the foundation for the adaptation of the whole LN series and the spin-off series Wolf and Parchment. They of course could have just resumed where the original series ended but after one and a half decade it is reasonable to start anew the whole project by a new studio to give a consistent look to its art style, and not just that, but a new adaptation provides an opportunity to introduce the franchise to a new generation who otherwise would have shunned it if it just continued with a third season,
IshitatesoApr 5, 6:18 PM
Apr 5, 6:13 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ishitateso
@perseii I think their aim is not to reinterpret the first season but to lay the foundation for the adaptation of the whole LN series and the spin-off series Wolf and Parchment. They of course could have just resumed where the original series ended but after one and a half decade it is reasonable to start anew the whole project by a new studio to give a consistent look to its art style, and not just that, but a new adaptation provides an opportunity to introduce the franchise to a new generation who otherwise would have shunned it if it just continued with a third season,
@Ishitateso Yeah I get that it was a tricky decision to make, but still, if you (the producer/studio) are telling the same story again, shouldn't you bring something new/better to the table? Wouldn't you want to? Like a brand new cast, or even a drastically different art style?

I can see I'm being a little too grumpy about this, and it's obvious there's a lot of enthusiasm here for the remake (which makes a lot of sense financially, too). If people discover Spice & Wolf through this show, good for them.

I also admit I'm pretty allergic to the idea of remakes in general (I shouldn't have watched so many Disney live-action remakes), especially if there's not much to justify its own existence or set itself apart. I hope this doesn't start a trend of shameless copy-paste remakes (unless it already has...).
Apr 5, 6:36 PM

May 2015
Reply to perseii
@Ishitateso Yeah I get that it was a tricky decision to make, but still, if you (the producer/studio) are telling the same story again, shouldn't you bring something new/better to the table? Wouldn't you want to? Like a brand new cast, or even a drastically different art style?

I can see I'm being a little too grumpy about this, and it's obvious there's a lot of enthusiasm here for the remake (which makes a lot of sense financially, too). If people discover Spice & Wolf through this show, good for them.

I also admit I'm pretty allergic to the idea of remakes in general (I shouldn't have watched so many Disney live-action remakes), especially if there's not much to justify its own existence or set itself apart. I hope this doesn't start a trend of shameless copy-paste remakes (unless it already has...).
@perseii If they had come up with a new cast or an experimental art style you can be sure this thread would have been full of pissed-off fans of the original series :) (this and the other threads are already full of comments of hair-splitting over the smallest differences between the new and the original adaptation and the LNs).

I wouldn't be a fan of a new adaptation just like you, if it won't mean the possible adaptation of the whole story (even though the quality of light novels dropped after a few volumes)
Apr 5, 6:42 PM
Jul 2015
very good start for this reebot
Apr 5, 10:00 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ishitateso
@perseii If they had come up with a new cast or an experimental art style you can be sure this thread would have been full of pissed-off fans of the original series :) (this and the other threads are already full of comments of hair-splitting over the smallest differences between the new and the original adaptation and the LNs).

I wouldn't be a fan of a new adaptation just like you, if it won't mean the possible adaptation of the whole story (even though the quality of light novels dropped after a few volumes)
Ishitateso said:
If they had come up with a new cast or an experimental art style you can be sure this thread would have been full of pissed-off fans of the original series :)

Probably. But frankly, fans should get over it. It's a new show, they can't expect everything to stay the same. As long as the remake preserves the story and does a good job telling it, most people will get over it.

I wonder if the producers even need to worry about those complaints. Drawing newcomers is the biggest reason why they're starting over from the beginning instead of continuing where they left off, and not a lot of those people will care that much about the changes. If the remake manages to capture a lot of new fans, it won't matter if some fans of the original don't like the changes.

But I guess the producers just went with the safest option, where the product is somewhat redundant but no one would get really upset.
Apr 6, 9:41 AM

Nov 2011
Holo and Lawrence are back : ) Looks as interesting adaptation, from both audio- and animation point of view. :3
Apr 6, 12:30 PM
Jul 2019
First scene so noob gago i think i got spoil already that girl have silver hair like MC. And then i read ep.1 on manga, manga don’t have that scene F.
Apr 6, 1:23 PM

Dec 2015
A great start for this remake.

The music, art and animation are all on point. They really put effort in this project.

The first scene makes me think that there is a chance for a complete adaptation of the LN, finally after all these years!

The OP is really good, both music and visuals. But I still think the first OP of the original adaptation is overall superior.

The ED is perfect! I love that kind of happy pop with celtic vibes. When I read that ClariS would be perfoming it, I instantly knew that it was going to be good! Years pass, but they maintain quality. I love them.

I'm glad to watch our lovely Holo again, also a good oportunity for new generations to meet the supreme waifu and have a brief introduction to kemonomimi girls.
ParkroverApr 7, 10:13 AM
Apr 6, 3:08 PM
Apr 2022
It's an absolute delight to see Spice and Wolf return to our screens after all these years, and the reboot is off to a promising start. With the classic cast and staff back in action, including Ami Koshimizu as Holo and Jun Fukuyama as Kraft Lawrence, there's a sense of nostalgia and excitement in the air.

Hana Hope's OP perfectly captures the essence of the reboot, setting the stage for the timeless journey ahead. And with Kevin Penkin's masterful OST accompanying the scenes, it's clear that this reboot is paying homage to its roots while also bringing something fresh to the table.

The episode itself stays true to the light novel and feels reminiscent of the original anime, with Lawrence's mature character adding depth to the story. Holo's introduction is surreal yet captivating, thanks to the impeccable soundtrack and voice acting. The vibrant character designs breathe new life into the series while maintaining its charm.

As we embark on this new adventure with Lawrence and Holo, it's clear that Passione has a gem on their hands. While there's always a hint of apprehension with reboots, especially from studios with mixed track records, this first episode instills confidence that Spice and Wolf is in good hands. Here's to hoping that the rest of the season continues to do justice to this beloved classic.

Apr 6, 11:32 PM

Oct 2016
First time watcher and I am already hooked. This anime has been very popular in the anime community, and I know people have been waiting for a new season. Now we are getting a brand new adaptation, which is cool for people like me who have yet to pick up the original (I still plan to watch the other one as well at some point). We got brief introductions to Holo and Kraft, and I can’t wait to learn more about them in future episodes. (8/10)
Apr 7, 8:42 AM
Nov 2020
we are so fucking back!!!!
Apr 7, 9:03 AM

Apr 2012
Okay, so - newcomer to the series here - I will be honest though, I've always been aware of this show, but the fact that you are greeted with an image of a naked wolfgirl every time you so much as google the title has always been a massive turn off that kept me from ever trying the original show. Still, I could see the love fans had for this series and knew that it must have earned that kind of popularity, so I decided with this new adaptation, I could at last push passed that old bias and finally give Spice and Wolf its day in court.

Out the gate, the character dynamic between Lawrence and Holo is pleasantly engaging, and I sincerely appreciate how Holo's nudity was underplayed while still subtly portraying Lawrence's discomfort with it. So much more genuine than the nonsense fanservice of other shows. Will be back for Episode 2 to see how the story develops.
Apr 7, 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
Lovely first episode! I've known about this series for so long but never could get myself to watch the original. Curious to see if I'll finally be able to stick with it, because I love the color palette already.

[Artist] • [Streamer] • [Writer]
Seasonal Anime Watcher!
Apr 7, 10:31 AM

Nov 2020
I remember that I once lost the first episode of this anime, but the remake promises to be very good.
Interesting atmosphere, I feel such a rural atmosphere, the soundtrack is also very pleasant, it really adds a lot of charm to some scenes, especially the scene when the MC meets the she-wolf for the first time, I checked the original and this scene in the remake is 10x better.
A journey with two characters I immediately liked? I'm all for it xD now I wonder why I gave up on the original.
5/5
Apr 7, 11:48 AM

May 2022
I guess I'm not as big a fan of Spice and Wolf as I thought I was because I felt this first episode was just so-so. I didn't even manage to reach the end credits. The new soundtrack in particular just didn't click with me. The original medieval themed music was mostly understated and in the background and felt like it was woven into the setting, but in the remake it sounds more like Riverdance. I don't want to hear that fiddle-di-de crap in every episode.

It wouldn't be fair to give this a low score after watching less than one episode, and I'm obviously not the intended audience for this remake anyway, but for me it feels like one big letdown.
Aletheia_xxxApr 7, 11:58 AM
Apr 7, 12:50 PM
Jan 2021
Aletheia_xxx said:
I guess I'm not as big a fan of Spice and Wolf as I thought I was because I felt this first episode was just so-so. I didn't even manage to reach the end credits. The new soundtrack in particular just didn't click with me. The original medieval themed music was mostly understated and in the background and felt like it was woven into the setting, but in the remake it sounds more like Riverdance. I don't want to hear that fiddle-di-de crap in every episode.

It wouldn't be fair to give this a low score after watching less than one episode, and I'm obviously not the intended audience for this remake anyway, but for me it feels like one big letdown.

God your attention span is that of a goldfish. The Music is extremely good and captures the atmosphere perfectly. Kevin Penkin is one of the best composers in the industry
Apr 7, 2:52 PM
Oct 2017
Poor animation, poor directorship
Apr 7, 3:16 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to Ishitateso

@Ishitateso The LN series as a whole was great. I would not say the quality dropped after a few volumes... just a pretty boring drop off arc before it picks up again. The best arcs are certainly in the later books as well....
Apr 7, 3:43 PM

May 2022
Reply to AshTheChamp
Aletheia_xxx said:

God your attention span is that of a goldfish. The Music is extremely good and captures the atmosphere perfectly. Kevin Penkin is one of the best composers in the industry
@AshTheChamp Well in my (wholly subjective) opinion the new Kevin Penkin music drags everything else down with it. It's too overbearing and stifles any scene that it's in. If you believe otherwise then you're obviously the target audience for this modern remake and I'm pleased for you.
Apr 7, 8:00 PM
Nov 2018
Good start.
25 ep. will it cover the whole story?
Apr 7, 9:45 PM
Jan 2013
A fantastic start to the revisit of one of my favourite animes of all time. It matched the vibe perfectly and the new visuals better fit the LN variation of Holo so much more.
Apr 8, 1:18 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I had been meaning to watch the original, but I had never gotten to it. I even have volume one of the manga, but I just haven't started reading it. It feels weird having this be my introduction to this, but I'll take it. It's fine so far.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 8, 1:49 AM
Dec 2022
Watching after a friend said this is a remake and that the original series is peak

This is actually pretty good, I gotta watch the original sometime now lmao
Apr 8, 2:12 AM
Jan 2021
Aletheia_xxx said:
@AshTheChamp Well in my (wholly subjective) opinion the new Kevin Penkin music drags everything else down with it. It's too overbearing and stifles any scene that it's in. If you believe otherwise then you're obviously the target audience for this modern remake and I'm pleased for you.

Fair enough i guess, but like in Made in Abyss, the music puts every scene on a whole other level. Moreover you're acting like i'm "new" to Anime solely, cause i like the Remake more. It's not like i'm the only one. The majority of people who watched it back in 2008 also agree that the Remake is better. Preferences on Art Style, Music etc are subjective, production differences like Animation, direction, art quality and pacing are not🙌
Apr 8, 4:16 PM
Mar 2021
Awesome first episode, very excited for more
Apr 8, 8:21 PM

Nov 2011
gg, mal mods are not doing the job of keeping people from making spoilers or "discuss material beyond this episode" I wish people commenting spoilers would be banned and their comments removed. seeing this is really disappointing, I can already see how newcomers to this anime or new people who would love this anime get turned off after seeing so much spoilers... gg mal, gg.
Apr 9, 12:28 PM

Aug 2022
Amazing! 10/10 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Apr 9, 1:23 PM
Jul 2017
This episode was alright. As a direct comparison to the original, the first episode feels inferior in many ways. The directing was worse in a lot of ways and I think it's the root cause of most of the issues.

My impression is that the director didn't want to completely replicate the OG, but it's like he's trying to copy someone's homework and change up some parts. The end product will be generally correct, but with strange alterations that feel unnecessary. It was obvious that they were constrained with their animation budget/time with stiff models (that didn't blend with the background) and lots of bad CGI. But they added additional content to set the atmosphere using that bad CGI. If they had a budget maybe this would work. But instead, it feels like filler content. The dialogue was awkward and too fast-paced. Characters feel like they need to hit all their exposition and perform certain actions (Holo getting cold after being out naked for like 5 minutes instead of much more quickly) rather than it being a natural occurrence. This might have also impacted the delivery, cuz Lawrence and Holo sounded different from the OG (with the same VAs). The music was great, but the placement of vocal music while people are trying to speak just muddles the scene. They completely ruined the flow from Holo revealing herself as the Wise Wolf to Lawrence talking to Larei (boring expo dump that Holo could have done) and then circling back later to finish the Holo reveal scene.

Overall, the directing for this episode does not give me hope for the rest of the show. It's only the first episode, so maybe it's a fluke. But I hope they focus on getting it right rather than different from the original. Otherwise, I'm going to just stick with the latter.
ZvarosApr 9, 1:27 PM
Apr 9, 11:27 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to jesiolek
When you think anime keeps getting better, studio Passione hits us with AI generated animations...
Why did they event take these series on if they didn't plan to animate it properly, thats pitifull mess. The original didnt even age enough to justify a remake, whats the point of iterating good work with this half-assed creation.
@jesiolek "hits us with AI generated animations..."

You serious or is this a joke? If not, sauce?
Apr 10, 4:01 PM

Sep 2017
It's gonna be interesting watching this after having read all of the published novels somewhat recently. Plus I never watched the original anime. The voices of Holo and Lawrence really threw me off. Nothing like that I was thinking in my head when I read the novels. The first scene could imply they might actually finish the entire series, but I'll take far more than 25 episodes - even if they mostly skip the side colour novels which aren't super relevant to the main story. If they do, I hope they do it justice. I guess they only need to adapt up to vol 17 to get the "main" story end, but the never ending epilogue has been a lot of fun and would be cool to see adapted. Anyway... I don't believe Lawrence actually returns to speak with Yarei in the novel. He basically continues his conversation with Holo after she does a partial transformation. They hit all the same beats that happen at his lodging in this episode though.
Apr 10, 5:25 PM

Nov 2013
Being a big fan of the original, I'm looking forward of whats comes out of this series.
Apr 12, 2:09 AM
Aug 2019
thought it was a great 1for 1 of the origanl with updated animation
Apr 12, 5:05 AM
Sep 2021
The music is good, animation is good & the setting/story/world is also good. Holo has got my interest. A slow fantasy slice-of-life adventure with economics in it, excited to watch more of it.
Apr 12, 8:34 AM
Jan 2023
Damn, Passione seem to have done a pretty good job here. No idea what the original is like as I'm completely new to Spice and Wolf.

First impressions are good, definitely liking this so far, I hope they keep this up.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 3

39 by Narizor »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

65 by Satoshi17 »»
Yesterday, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

56 by Satoshi17 »»
Yesterday, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

72 by Satoshi17 »»
Yesterday, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

120 by Satoshi17 »»
Jun 2, 2:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.