Forum Settings
Forums

Overall, do you rate anime generously or harshly? Why?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 4:57 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Daviljoe193
I try to be generous, which is why my mean score leans a bit high. But when I find a stinker...

...I'm not nice. This anime is literally a "drink every time there's an animation error" with a non-zero chance of hospitalization type of anime, btw.
@Daviljoe193 You seemed to step on a landmine that time, my condolences to you :D

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 8, 5:00 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to iThink
I'd like to believe I rate most anime fairly, except for a bunch of shows which I loathe on the basis of their underlying ideology.

From the point of view of an average person though, my ratings are on the harsh side, because I'm mainly concerned with the show's quality of writing and fundamental worth as a work of fiction rather than its ability to pander to its target demographic and viability as a commercial product.
@iThink I see, you have your own principles, nice :)

You also seem to have no-drop rule, Are you alright when you have to sit through watching bad shows until the end? :D

Apr 8, 5:03 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to xylidine
I only just started watching anime and I've liked every one of watched even if parts of it were bad. I tend to rate anime really generously because I think of the amount of work that goes into any anime. From the animation to the music, and everything in between, many talented people have worked really hard on it so even if it sucks I can't bring myself to rate it lower than a 6. Besides, it's not like I can even draw a single frame out of a show since it's so damn good so I have immense respect for the animators.
@xylidine I really like your reason why you're being generous.

Very cool, keep it up ^.^

Apr 8, 5:13 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Rinrinka
@Daviljoe193 You seemed to step on a landmine that time, my condolences to you :D
@Rinrinka I really got punished for not paying attention, like hard.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 8, 5:18 PM

Apr 2012
I usually rate anime highly because I mostly choose something that I know I'll enjoy and that I'm sure won't be controversial to me. Plus I usually try to find positive things instead of looking for reasons to criticize. With the exception of individual cases, of course.
Apr 8, 5:52 PM

Apr 2020
I rate stuff high, both because I look mainly for enjoyment and because I actively try to avoid watching/reading stuff I know I will find little to no joy in.

In fact, as you can read in my profile, I'd rather forget an anime/manga I'd rate 1 - 3 than include it in my list to be reminded of it later on.
Apr 8, 6:28 PM
Apr 2022
generous to good shows, and harsh to bad shows. not all animes are born equal and will be treated as such
Apr 8, 8:41 PM

Jan 2024
I started rating more harshly when I create my old MAL account ages ago because I was a kid and just wanted to sound like an elitist critic that knew what they were talking about. I would have shows like Neon Genesis at a 10 because people called it one of the best animes, and I hopped onto that bandwagon…

now I just don’t care. If I like a anime, I like it. I rate more generously now with how rememberable they are and the impact they have on me. Some of the anime's i’ve rated high in the past are dropped really low now.
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Apr 2010
Reply to Rinrinka
@iThink I see, you have your own principles, nice :)

You also seem to have no-drop rule, Are you alright when you have to sit through watching bad shows until the end? :D
@Rinrinka it's not really a no-drop rule,
it's just that if I've managed to watch at least one episode of the show but was not in the mood to watch the whole of it at the time - it goes on an on-hold list and I'm likely to try watching it again some time in the future;
and I've just never bothered adding a bunch of shows where I haven't managed to watch even a single episode to begin with.
Rinrinka said:
Are you alright when you have to sit through watching bad shows until the end? :D

yeah, it doesn't make me miserable or anything, I can still pick apart a bad show to examine what it does wrong on a more fundamental, mechanical level, which can be satisfying in its own way, and in turn makes me more comprehensively appreciate the next good show I watch when it does those same things right.

Apr 8, 9:15 PM

Feb 2021
I'd say I'm very generous when it comes to rating anime. I haven't given a show below 6 all that often.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 8, 11:05 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to BitChilly
I rate on a more critical and analytical (i know this sounds useless) perspective so I tend to be more harsh, though sometimes I’m generous because of the benefit of the doubt.

@Daviljoe193 I don’t know why but every time I see you dunking on Ojou to Banken-kun is hilarious to me lol
@BitChilly Useless or not, as long as you're having fun analyzing the anime you watch, that's all that matters~

Apr 8, 11:07 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to haerina
I would like to think i rate anime fairly and try to use all scores from 1-10.
I have been told i'm both though. I have no idea what that means.
@haerina Probably that means you're harsh when you rate anime you consider bad and you're generous when you enjoy watching it, hence both ;)

Apr 8, 11:13 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Animeinsight101
One of the most harshest raters on Mal is me. I can guarantee if I have seen similar anime to some of the top watched anime people all 1's. NO lies
@Horshu Oh my, such a low mean score ;)

I find it entertaining that on your Bleach TYBW note you said you loved it but gave it 6 anyway, as well as saying nice to Fate Zero but rate it 3 anyway :D

it looks like your 6 is other people's 9 :)

Apr 8, 11:31 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to kodeb8
I used to be more generous but nowadays I tend to be harsher. I even went through my list and changed a lot of the scores I had originally given some anime.
@kodeb8 You're more experienced nowadays that when you were a generous scorer after all, you aren't as easily pleased as before :)

Apr 8, 11:45 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Thanatos1
I give anything that is watchable more than 5. I give relatively high scores to most anime.
Never understood the whole 'utilise all of the rating scale' point that a lot of people make. I believe that most anime out there is good and that's why my ratings are centered around 7.
@Thanatos1 Some people here really don't utilize all the rating scale, I've seen some people rate 10 to all anime they have watched and I've also seen some people refuse to rate anime below 6 no matter how bad the anime is to them.

People like that are the reason why you heard some people said about "utilize all the rating scale", they really use 1-10 score not 6-10 score :)

Apr 8, 11:53 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Bisalissy
I rate anime according to the descriptions (so 7 = good, 4= bad, 2 = horrible, ect.), which is apperantly quite harsh compared to the Avg. Scores.

Sometimes it's sad to contribute to a score I find too low but I need at least 10 diffrent categories to rate anime appropriately.

For example: Prima Doll and it's 7.13 score. It was a lot better than many shows with higher scores in Summer '22! But it just isn't good enough to get the same ranking as my 8's, so I only gave it a 7 myself.
@Bisalissy Same as I do, so we're both considered quite harsh eh ? :D

Just do what you always do because I'm sure you understand that rating anime you considered bad with high score doesn't sit right to you :)

Apr 8, 11:56 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Psyzzy
Overall generously. Most anime that I do dislike I try my best to be constructive about it, even if it doesn't go that way every single time.
@Psyzzy I see, since your list is restricted to be seen, mind telling me what is the lowest score you have ever given and what anime is that?

Apr 9, 12:02 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Reply to Luchipher-Zen
Very very generously.. As I don't experiment beyond by watch preferences.. and even the generous scores are enough for classification on a personal level.
@Luchipher-Zen I see, did you actually enjoy watching the anime you rated 6?

Apr 9, 12:15 AM

May 2018
if everyone adhered to 5 = average (not bad not good) guideline... then I think I'd consider myself middle of the field. I may be seen as a slightly harsh rater because 1) I'm older now and harder to please, and 2) I've seen so many anime that the "average" anime out there seem bad. I bet if I rewatched a lot of childhood anime I'd end up giving them a lower score too.
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
Apr 9, 12:32 AM

May 2023
Reply to Rinrinka
@Luchipher-Zen I see, did you actually enjoy watching the anime you rated 6?
@Rinrinka Yup.. They might not be good enough as the +7s in my list, but they were worth the watch.. and even rewatches..
Apr 9, 1:57 AM

Feb 2016
It really depends on how good/bad it is and on my mood while watching/reading. I try not to be harsh but man if it's a real piece of shit I ain't holding nothing back. Even some meh anime will get a bit of generosity from me if I felt there's some potential.
But overall I am fair for the most part (as much as I can) slightly leaning towards generous. Not trying to be a overly anal critical person while watching anime.
Apr 9, 2:34 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to Rinrinka
@Psyzzy I see, since your list is restricted to be seen, mind telling me what is the lowest score you have ever given and what anime is that?
@Rinrinka If you're wondering, that went to Hametsu no Oukoku. It actually messes up the concept of a revenge anime so early into its run that it's somehow hilarious yet infuriating from a plot perspective. I gave it a 2. It at least knew what its intended demographic was wanting (which was basically the violence), but even that was below average if not subpar.

I feel like giving a 1 is really impossible by critique standards and can only be done by personal beliefs.
Apr 9, 6:42 AM

Dec 2020
The longer I've been watching anime, the more harsh I've become. I'd say I'm definitely more critical than the average person, though I'm not some monster like some people on this site with mean scores of like 2.3 or whatever. (like how is it even possible to get a score that low?)
Apr 9, 6:53 AM
Jun 2019
Reply to Rinrinka
@haerina Probably that means you're harsh when you rate anime you consider bad and you're generous when you enjoy watching it, hence both ;)
@Rinrinka isn't that the same as just fair? :D does this mean people think that ratings from both far ends aren't used much?
Apr 9, 7:08 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
I rate them objectively : )
Objectively = not being afraid to use the full 1-10 scale, and only factoring in my subjective enjoyment of the anime.
Apr 9, 7:09 AM

Oct 2018
Harshly if the anime is way too overrated but generously if I really like the anime.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Apr 9, 7:11 AM

Jul 2021
unless it is absolute dogshit garbage i don't rate anything below 6. i'm a pretty generous person and try to find some good thing about the show before rating them low. there's only handful of animes which i've rated less than 5 and i think everyone can agree they deserve those ratings.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 9, 7:49 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Rinrinka
@Horshu Oh my, such a low mean score ;)

I find it entertaining that on your Bleach TYBW note you said you loved it but gave it 6 anyway, as well as saying nice to Fate Zero but rate it 3 anyway :D

it looks like your 6 is other people's 9 :)
@Rinrinka Im hard to be satisfied to the point I believe that I will never find a 10/10 anime. The chances are slim however I am a masochist so it really depends.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 9, 7:58 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to Animeinsight101
@Rinrinka Im hard to be satisfied to the point I believe that I will never find a 10/10 anime. The chances are slim however I am a masochist so it really depends.
@Horshu Even though it's still pretty early on, I kinda wanna see someone who manages a -50 affinity score with nearly everybody. Already it seems like you're on your way to hitting -50 affinity with me, which is kinda exciting, since the lowest I've seen prior was like -39.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 9, 8:00 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Daviljoe193
@Horshu Even though it's still pretty early on, I kinda wanna see someone who manages a -50 affinity score with nearly everybody. Already it seems like you're on your way to hitting -50 affinity with me, which is kinda exciting, since the lowest I've seen prior was like -39.
@Daviljoe193 Wait, what is an affinity score?
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 9, 8:06 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to Animeinsight101
@Daviljoe193 Wait, what is an affinity score?
@Horshu Basically on desktop, you go to someone's profile while logged in, and you'll see this on the left.

The higher the score, the more compatible someone's tastes are, and the lower, the less compatible. -50 is basically like being the Satan of MAL. I had to do the math by hand for my affinity to you, since we don't have enough shared anime that's also scored, but it's pretty deep in the negatives right now. :)
Apr 9, 8:09 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Daviljoe193
@Horshu Basically on desktop, you go to someone's profile while logged in, and you'll see this on the left.

The higher the score, the more compatible someone's tastes are, and the lower, the less compatible. -50 is basically like being the Satan of MAL. I had to do the math by hand for my affinity to you, since we don't have enough shared anime that's also scored, but it's pretty deep in the negatives right now. :)
@Daviljoe193 Bro wtf im always negative with people, ahhahaha dont worry ill get there eventually, -50 soon im sure of it !!

Apr 9, 8:33 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I dunno, man, I just rate things whatever I think they deserve. There isn't some objectively fair standard.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 9, 8:50 AM

Aug 2021
i am always trying to be as fair as i can. I hate it when people just throw out 10/10 ratings on every anime. a 10/10 has to mean somehing...
Apr 9, 9:38 AM
Mar 2018
I do my best to judge fairly.

I don't have anything below a 4, but I do have several 10, so I'm probably closer to generous than harsh. However, it's also because I'm pretty picky with what I start watching: I usually look at the synopsis, the wiki, image galleries, the MAL page, and videos on YouTube. I've never had an anime be much worse than anticipated (though it's happened with manga).
Apr 9, 9:46 AM
Jan 2021
I showed someone my anime list recently and they said that I rated things very critically, which either means that they score things generously and I'm harsh only by comparison, or that I actually do rate things kinda harshly. However, I will say that I am more likely to give something a generous score immediately after watching it, then in the future I might decide that it wasn't that impressive after all and drop the score.
Apr 9, 9:49 AM

Mar 2012
I'm very generous. If I go through finishing a series or season without dropping, it pretty much is a 7 minimum. Rarely I will finish a series that is 6 or below, and if I drop something I often don't rate em, because I wait til finish a series to rate.
Apr 9, 10:06 AM

Nov 2023
Most of the time generously I guess.
Apr 9, 10:41 AM

Jul 2010
I stick to genres and types of anime(s) that I like and when sometimes I get wrong I just drop it and don't rate it because I don't do it to unfinished shows, so mean score is generous. Also I don't save 9-10 for "classics" (titles that deserve hype, have a high score etc.) only, if I like some comedy or rom-com I just rate it as high as possible and don't make comparisons.
Apr 9, 10:42 AM

Mar 2024
I'm hard on ratings, most of what I see I don't like. I rate a lot of anime low, but I do it mainly to show the gap between anime I like and anime I don't like. An analogy that captures some of this would be: fireflies (anime I like) need darkness (anime I dislike) to shine.

Obviously, this whole "system" is super pretentious.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 9, 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
I just put a number on it, often quite generous one, and don't care much about my rating. It's more important what people have to say about the actual plot and all.
Apr 9, 12:38 PM

Oct 2020
Harshly, standards go up overtime the more I consume anime/manga leading to lower scores.
Apr 9, 2:30 PM

Feb 2017
I mostly rate things somewhere in the middle. like a bell curve, hardly ever give things a 1 or a 10. I guess I'm a bit more generous than I am harsh though.
Apr 9, 2:45 PM

Jul 2023
I'm generous. If it's not dreadfully boring or insulting then I won't go below 5
Apr 10, 1:01 AM

Feb 2016
A bit of both. Sometimes I rate them based on enjoyment.
Apr 10, 6:04 AM

Nov 2019
I rate anime harshly but fair. I think through the struggle of watching something you despise, you grow stronger and find more enjoyment in the little things that makes you happy instead.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Apr 10, 11:50 AM
Oct 2006
I'm definitely super generous. I tend towards the top end of the scale. To be fair I don't watch anything I think I won't like to completion. I also score on how effective an anime is at what it set out to do, not on the grand scale of human experience. I am but a humble viewer, wanting to be entertained.
Apr 10, 11:58 AM

Aug 2012
Seen around 1,865 anime and a mean score of 4.3. People often call me out for beinf harsh. I think my scores, while a bit harsh, are trying to be a bit fair. I've got a no-drop rule (to give all anime an equal opportunity in some manner), so I try to score anime based on various criteria such as enjoyment, story, chracaters, and whatnot.
Apr 10, 12:23 PM

Jan 2021
Depends, I rate something harshly if the anime was good but then it did stuff that pissed me off on the spot
Apr 10, 2:06 PM

Jul 2007
I'd say I rate generously.

While I consider myself less harsh when rating shows, I also know what I like. So things like horror, "zany" humor (ex: Excel Saga or a more recent work Saiki Kusuo), purely slice of life shows (ex: Kino no Tabi), very gruesome or general feel-sad shows (ex: Bokura no), and shows that require a lot of thought due to symbolism or complex plot lines (ex: Sonny Boy) are just not something I tend to enjoy and I know that I would rate them low if I attempted to watch them. So, in general, I don't! This leads me to give out 6+ scores to shows I complete.

In addition, I usually rate shows mostly from an enjoyment perspective. If a show is something I am liking due to an interesting plot or likeable characters, I will ignore other issues like poor animation.

In general, my rate process is quite simple. The biggest factor is how easy it was to watch and whether I'd rewatch the show. 6 being a difficult struggle to complete up to 9 which is something I want to rewatch as soon as I finish the show! (while I have some of my favorites at a 10, I am not sure I'd really consider anything to be worthy of a true 10)

As an example, I am rewatching Akashic Records to see if it still deserves the '8' score I gave it wayyyyy in the past. I can definitely see flaws in the show (there's been some poor writing) or areas where others might view it negatively (the uniforms being extra provocative for the girls) but I still find myself overall being entertained by the show and I could see myself watching it again in the distant future. So most likely I will still give it an 8!

Seeing how many episodes I watch in a sitting also gives me a good indication of a rating. If I can watch many at once, then it is likely to get a higher score than something I can barely get through one episode.
iwubanimeApr 10, 2:14 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Could you survive in the world of your favorite anime?

Spunkert - Jun 15

34 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 minutes ago

» Are there any CONFIDENT flat/small chested anime girls?

Throwawayy1234 - 36 minutes ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Jun 15

51 by BeastyAnimefan »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - Yesterday

25 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Yesterday

32 by DarkShame2 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.