Forum Settings
Forums

What’s an anime that everyone else loves but you didn’t?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 17, 2022 1:03 PM
Oct 2022
c0urtJest3r said:
For me it's Re:Zero - gave it 11 episodes and just couldn't vibe with it

I have to admit it’s really hard to get into Re:Zero. It take me three tries to get through it but I really like the second half of season one.
Oct 17, 2022 4:05 PM

Aug 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I did not enjoy this show at all. Thought Shinji was an annoying MC. All of the other characters were unlikeable to me. The last two episodes were a huge mind fuckery. Too much edginess. Demands too much of the audience's attention. It is a show about character story and juxtaposes weird and creepy imagery with the characters and message. In other words, it got too deep. Not even my small brain can comprehend the deeper underlying meanings of the show.

Honestly, NGE was not my cup of tea.

Oct 17, 2022 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
I am sure that huntrash x garbage fans were mind controlled to love that shit show, it's impossible for crap like that to be so loved (3)
Oct 17, 2022 4:53 PM

Oct 2021
A Silent Voice, i gave the rating a 6 cause i didnt mind it, but i personally dont see what the big deal is about it.
Dec 9, 2022 7:18 PM
Oct 2022
Sometimes the fans of Naruto and One Piece can really get on my nerves about how great their animes are and they really make me not watch the shows at times.
Dec 9, 2022 7:32 PM

May 2021
Kaguya sama
Horimiya
My dress up darling
Nagatoro

All cringe
Dec 9, 2022 8:10 PM

Nov 2022
Eva and Samurai Champloo are the only stuff that gets defended by fans if I criticize it.

Would probably also be Cowboy Bebop, FLCL and Melancholy of Haruhi (btw her personality is not melancholic from what I can tell) if I watched them...

By the way you can use advance list to check how your scores differ from the average
here is mine:
https://anime.plus/ThorLL/list,anime

highest difference up is just 1.94
but down is 6.43
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 9, 2022 9:40 PM

Oct 2018
Naruto and One Piece, I didn't find any of the appeal a lot of the fans of those shows found in them.
Dec 9, 2022 9:51 PM
Jan 2020
Demon slayer (especially s2)
S1 & movie were fine but s2 was boring, I mean from ep4 or 5 till last ep, there was nothing happening but only fights, the demon dies and comes back and says something arrogant and dies again, it was irritating.
Dec 9, 2022 9:56 PM
Jan 2020
NewestPersonHere said:
Fell asleep watching AoT and all the battle-shounen nowadays~

Because my taste changes a lot when I reach 17-18 years old. I went from a action maniac to a sci-fi / dark-fantasy fan.

Hey, try Aot again and stay with it till the end, s3p2 & s4 were amazing. The story is very well planned and deep and character development was amazing for most characters. And btw Aot is dark fantasy.
Dec 9, 2022 10:01 PM
Jan 2015
FMAB. I felt it was dragged towards the end.
Dec 9, 2022 10:01 PM
Dec 2021
Attack on titan

For me this show is a bit bored. Main character in my opinion is people who doing anything. Mikasa is crazy women who has obsessed with Eren. This even was interested. Plot is for me over hipe, because it just of people, who kill giants. Of course Attack on titan is show which a few plus. graphics is very good, levi is nice character, but it show (For me of course) is a bit bored.
Dec 9, 2022 10:02 PM

Sep 2020
Atlos said:
I hate clannad but I hate after story more
yes yes this is the way. Clannad After story is one of the most disappointing things I have ever watched.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Dec 9, 2022 10:09 PM
Sep 2017
For me it' "VIOLET EVERGARDEN" I didnt like that alot of pwople didnt realized that Gilbert literally confessed to an underage Violet in the flashback of the first season. In the LN she was like 10 years old.
NotTrying2BLazyDec 9, 2022 10:23 PM

Dec 9, 2022 10:38 PM
Jul 2022
Spirited away. I was bored watching this and it felt childish. I do not understand the point of the story and it feels more like a dream of a child cut in short for us to see.

Guess it wasn't my type of anime.
Dec 9, 2022 11:01 PM

Oct 2020
prolly fruit basket everyone in my anime friend circle calls it a masterpiece or at least great . i find it very cringy
Dec 9, 2022 11:35 PM

Sep 2020
Apart from the obvious Clannad After story, I am also not a big fan of No game no life, or Summertime rendering. Ooh, Yofukashi no Uta was a disappointment as well.

NotTrying2BLazy said:
For me it' "VIOLET EVERGARDEN" I didnt like that alot of pwople didnt realized that Gilbert literally confessed to an underage Violet in the flashback of the first season. In the LN she was like 10 years old.
no we realized. There was just a lot more to the show than that. I think the strongest part of this show is when the Dolls/scribes write letters. I love how Violet changed the hearts of several of her clients and that she took various lessons to find out the true meaning of love. It was a great watch for me.
samsince04Dec 9, 2022 11:38 PM

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Dec 10, 2022 12:03 AM

Jun 2022
Boku no Hero Academia for me, I just couldn't enjoy it.
Dec 10, 2022 12:08 AM
Jun 2020
Gintama

Despite the series occupying most top spots in the MAL rankings, I just didn't get the appeal of it. There are several anime which are far more humorous - take Handa-kun or Nozaki, for example.
Dec 10, 2022 12:17 AM

Jan 2021
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, i dropped it on 4th episode iirc
Dec 10, 2022 12:53 AM

Jun 2017
Toradora, Clannad, and Psycho Pass just to name a few
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dec 10, 2022 5:51 AM

Nov 2014
Mine is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I think it wasn't for me.
Dec 10, 2022 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
AnimeTyger said:
For me it’s Cowboy Bebop. I felt like it had little to no character development or growth. For me I found that it lacked a strong story to keep me invested and I found the episodic nature of the anime to be really boring especially with an interesting concept and world. Don’t get me wrong I’ve watched other episodic shows but they were able to keep me invested unlike Cowboy Bebop. So how about you what anime does everyone else love but you don’t?

EDIT: Please try to be civilized and respectful in this thread. No hateful or insulting language and comments.

Hoo boy. Which one?
Madoka Magica. The show feels extremely rushed and I didn't care about any of the characters (besides maybe Sayaka). If it lasted 24 episodes, the girls got more in depth characterization (especially Mami, who ended up being a living prop for exposition and shock value), it ended WITHOUT some BS magical reset and it actually amounted to anything besides a vague message about hope I would have probably liked it.
Code Geass
Made in Abyss. No, "you have to read the manga" is not an excuse for the entire first season just being a big mystery box with no substance.
Fate. I'm supossed to take it seriously or not? It's such a ridiculous franchise yet it tries so hard to seem smart and dramatic, lecturing the viewer about being a "hero of justice". And the exposition is just awful. Especially the first season of Zero, in which the characters never seem to shut the fuck up.
One Piece post time skip
JoJo part 5. I don't hate the anime (unlike the manga), but I just don't like it as much as the other parts. A lot of people seem to think it's the best one, but i personally don't get it.
Apr 26, 2023 7:31 AM
Oct 2022
Devilman Crybaby had one of the most confusing first episodes that made me not want to continue watching the rest of the series. Even the animation and art style not very good in my opinion.
Apr 26, 2023 7:34 AM
Dec 2021
See the top 25
the only anime i loved was Koe no Katachi, everything else is either meh or boring as fuck.
Apr 26, 2023 7:35 AM

Oct 2021
The anime "Your Name" the plot is all over the place while the romance was better than avg and beautiful animation the plot doesn't make sense to me at all
Apr 26, 2023 7:46 AM

Mar 2023
I was never someting of a fan of Cowboy Bebop.
Apr 26, 2023 10:48 AM

Apr 2023
Tatami Galaxy. Don´t like the art style, the jokes, the dialogue or even a single character.

Great OP & ED though, ill give it that!
Apr 26, 2023 10:53 AM

Nov 2018
Otaku-kun88 said:
One Piece for me.
I knew I wouldnt like it even before I started watching it, but my roommate kept pestering me, saying "Oh its a good show, you should watch it", so I decided to give it a try, but like I thought, that anime isnt for me. Im someone who watches every anime to the end, even animes that I dont like, so now Im stuck watching that crap... T_T

Same here, I'm not a fan of One Piece. I mean it's not terrible and I don't hate it, but it's so very mediocre. The manga's better, but still not my thing.
Apr 26, 2023 12:57 PM
Oct 2022
OiantakuYT said:
Tatami Galaxy. Don´t like the art style, the jokes, the dialogue or even a single character.

Great OP & ED though, ill give it that!

I have to agree with you on that one. The dialogue went by way too fast and the repetition of the story really wore thin.
Apr 26, 2023 1:03 PM

Aug 2018
The current #1 rated anime, Oshi no ko. People often criticize Clannad for being melodramatic but geeze it doesn't try quite this hard and at least establishes it's characters a bit before trying to make you cry for them: you have to get to episode 18 of the second season for the emotional climax. I can't feel anything for the robotic psychopath Ai nor for her creepy little kids.
Apr 26, 2023 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
In my experience, I had a hard time developing love with Horimiya. For me it was very tiring and annoying to see, I couldn't handle it personally, even though some people do find a joy in watching it. Perhaps it might not be my cup of tea. 
Apr 26, 2023 1:31 PM

May 2021
I just finished rascal does not dream of bunny girl Senpai today and wow I cannot comprehend how popular it is I thought it was so bad
Apr 26, 2023 1:59 PM

Feb 2016
Attack on Titan comes to mind. Especially the ending. I used to like AOT, but the final arc just killed everything I liked about it.

Also the currently airing Oshi no Ko. I'm not a fan of the reincarnation trope and Aqua just comes off as a typical edgy character. Ai is the only interesting character there and personally I think it could better if it wasn't a revenge/drama plot, but more better off as a slice of life like Shirobako. A more focus on the entertainment industry. 
Apr 26, 2023 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
Attack on Titan, I think the ending destroyed all the good things in the series.

Clannad. I mean, the VN is gud but I don't like the anime.
Apr 26, 2023 2:11 PM

Jul 2017
AnimeTyger said:
For me it’s Cowboy Bebop. I felt like it had little to no character development or growth. For me I found that it lacked a strong story to keep me invested and I found the episodic nature of the anime to be really boring especially with an interesting concept and world. Don’t get me wrong I’ve watched other episodic shows but they were able to keep me invested unlike Cowboy Bebop. So how about you what anime does everyone else love but you don’t?

EDIT: Please try to be civilized and respectful in this thread. No hateful or insulting language and comments.
Thank you! It didn't do for me either. It lack character development and a real plot. I think it is overrated probably because it's a classic and one of the first anime to get to the western viewership.
In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least, it is true that man has no control, even over his own will.
Apr 26, 2023 2:15 PM

May 2019
FMA Brotherhood. Liked it a lot, but I wouldn't say it's one of the best anime of all time. Not by a longshot.
Apr 26, 2023 2:29 PM
Aug 2020
mawaru penguindrum, I tend to really like elitist anime but it just wasnt my cup of tea I guess
Apr 26, 2023 2:30 PM

Jan 2023
Mirai Nikki. Don’t get the hype. I thought it was creepy + cringe. I hated the MC as well.
Apr 26, 2023 8:47 PM

Apr 2011
If there's one anime I didn't like as much as I should have, it's the 90's Sailor Moon series...

It's a long story. I tried getting into it because of how much people considered it to be a childhood classic. First, I tried watching the series via its old English dub. Then, I watched all of the first season and a majority of the Doom Tree arc in the original Japanese audio online. After that, I dropped the series. It felt too long, in my opinion. I'll say a few positive things before get through the negative.

I actually appreciate its pastel aesthetic in the first two seasons, it's a lovely color palette. The depth of the characters is another aspect I appreciate, given the anime aired weekly around the same time its source material was published.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Apr 26, 2023 8:58 PM

Sep 2021
GTO just wasn’t well written and the morals were not relatable in my opinion.
Apr 26, 2023 10:39 PM

Oct 2020
Death note
Evangelion
Hunter x hunter
Cowboy bebop
Akira

They just aren't something for me...
Apr 26, 2023 10:47 PM
Sep 2021
Demon Slayer Season 3. Many people seems to find it cool but that season is absolute trash & cringe
My Hero Academia, some ppl like it but this anime is trash
Apr 26, 2023 10:48 PM
Sep 2021
MoonBunny9297 said:
If there's one anime I didn't like as much as I should have, it's the 90's Sailor Moon series...

It's a long story. I tried getting into it because of how much people considered it to be a childhood classic. First, I tried watching the series via its old English dub. Then, I watched all of the first season and a majority of the Doom Tree arc in the original Japanese audio online. After that, I dropped the series. It felt too long, in my opinion. I'll say a few positive things before get through the negative.

I actually appreciate its pastel aesthetic in the first two seasons, it's a lovely color palette. The depth of the characters is another aspect I appreciate, given the anime aired weekly around the same time its source material was published.

Hold it, why is your pfp a 90's Sailor Moon gif....
Apr 27, 2023 12:12 AM

Aug 2012
Demon Slayer. The art/animation is really good, but the story didn't catch my attention and I got bored. I was so close to dropping it but then a friend convinced me that it gets better after episode 10/15 (forgot which one).

It did not get better. It was still the same as ever.
Apr 27, 2023 2:44 AM

Feb 2015
I can list a few:
Mob Psycho
MHA
One Punch Man
Ping Pong The Animation
Apr 27, 2023 2:55 AM

Dec 2020
A Silent Voice
Violet Evergarden
Jojo Part 5

Apr 27, 2023 3:09 AM
Jul 2021
Re zero (really feel like all the characters are bad , except emilia maybe, and i don't really get the hype behind suffering mc's like subaru, kaneki and all)
Death note (post L arc was so horribly bad and predictable)
Erased ( somehow even more predictable than death note)
Your name (avrg story with 10/10 animations and music imo)
Demon slayer (avrg story with 10/10 animations imo)
Apr 27, 2023 3:19 AM

May 2019
Konosuba: The "everyone is stupid" kinda comedy wasn't for me.
Plus I watched it when I was new to Isekai expecting an another world story with high stakes (something like Re:Zero, Log Horizon that I'd watched at the time) and this was a way too jarring subversion of expectations for me.
I just might watch it again (idk when), to see if I'll enjoy it, now knowing what the show was trying to do.
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Apr 28, 2023 6:35 AM

Jun 2019
Forenote that I'm not going to include any series I perceive as popular which I haven't actually watched and have no interest in watching, of which I'm sure there are plenty, as even though I'm disinterested in them it seems meaningless and unfair to judge them prematurely on that level.

Definitely Neon Genesis Evangelion. Neon Genesis Evangelion is probably the prime poster child of this for me. It's one of the anime you hear about absolutely everywhere and seemingly near-universally in praise and glowing terms, and it also just has an almost ubiquitous presence in the cultural landscape to the extent that very shortly after getting into anime I just saw and heard it mentioned positively everywhere and it even caused me to look back in retrospect and remember how wall to wall the commercials and promotions for it (obviously the dubbed version) were on Cartoon Network on U.S. TV in the late 90s - early 2000s years before I knew of it or anime's existence in general. But it must have been a pop culture phenomenon even then in the West/English-speaking world. And of course after starting getting into anime it was one of the first few dozen series I watched (#26 actually) and I since read more about the history surrounding it, its influence, etc.

I will say that there are aspects I like about it and I can even detach myself and try to be more a little more objective and no doubt respect some of its achievements and lasting influence on anime and pop culture, but that's it. What I felt when I was actually sitting down and watching most of the series was frequently active annoyance and anger + general discontent. I just cannot stand two of the main characters so friggin much. Gendo and Rei are a bit of a saving grace character-wise, but only so much. I gave the series a 6/10, but truthfully added a few points in deference to some of what it does well which I can be fair enough to recognize, but my actual enjoyment is more like a 3/10 or 4/10-level  at best and it's easily one of my least favorite series out of 221 watched and counting. Maybe my least. At least bottom three (in the same category with Terra Formars for me, which unsurprisingly isn't well-loved).

Besides Eva,

- Death Note - Dropped after three episodes

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Dropped after one episode

- Dr. Stone - Dropped

- Shingeki no Kyojin - Dropped (midway through the second season)

- AnoHana - This is okay - I don't mind and like aspects of this, but it's kind of just your average live action B-movie or short-lived supernatural teen melodrama series like something which would have aired on WB or some random network late at night years ago except in anime form. Kind of in the vein of all the shows after Buffy which wanted to have coming-of-age supernatural teen vampire hunters or lovers. I agree with another user who mentioned the fact that at least in the past few (2 - 3, at least) years I rarely hear about this and if I do it's no longer in usually highly positive terms but more as an example of a cheap melodrama, but I definitely feel like it was more widely praised and held up as a stellar example of an anime drama seven years ago back when I got into anime in 2016, and that would have been only five years after it first came out. And I'd imagine - and you don't even have to "imagine" as you can read the thread topics from back then - that in 2011 when it was released it was even more of a phenomenon. This seems to have died down in buzz and acclaim more than Haruhi, but unlike Haruhi I don't think it ever deserved nearly that degree of celebration in the first place. It's serviceable but pretty one-note and shallow, avoiding getting into a lot of interesting territory it could.

- Spy x Family - Dropped after two episodes

- To Your Eternity - Dropped after one episode

- Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song - Massively overrated and rushed; spectacle sans substance

- 86 - I don't despise it or anything. I generally liked a lot of things about the first season. But this is a very standard basic story and a very standard basic telling of it, not something really spectacularly insightful or some novel or uniquely masterful telling of a very tried and true verging on beaten to death kind of age old theme of boy goes to war, discrimination hurts people usually on senseless short-sighted grounds and tears apart families. To me the series is like a slightly less creative and slightly less dystopian Hunger Games. Reminds me of a paperback young adult novel I'd go through at one of those airport gift shops. The music has some great tracks and it's occasionally elevated by a choice in the direction though. I'm still midway through an ongoing long-term watch of the second season released in 2021

- Psycho Pass - Had dropped a little over a third of the way in and remained as dropped for years until a few months ago I was in the mood for whatever reason to pick it back up and don't regret doing so, but it's still just okay to me. All of the original complaints and criticisms I had for it which led to frustration that caused me to drop it were still present but I went in with a mindset of expecting them and just setting them aside. It's still quite overrated because it's held up as almost a gold standard of this genre, but I just found it didn't do anything particularly new or interesting, writing isn't very strong, characters aren't that interesting or layered and fleshed out in a compelling way, etc. It just surface level grazes over some ideas without demonstrating a worthwhile understanding of them or willingness to get into them further. Etc. To me it can't hold a candle to truly revolutionary Sci-Fi and cyberpunk like Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy, on any level. Best thing it has going for it is a fun aesthetic and the fact that those who are attracted to these kinds of plots and premises will stick around even if just puts up the outline or prototype of them without the meat.

- Spice & Wolf season two - Hate how this season just goes in circles with no resolution and also makes the characters somehow extra irksome and off-putting compared to the first based on the dialogue. The level of how disappointing this is actually makes the S&W series as a whole to me rather placed too high on a pedestal, but at least I still largely enjoyed the first whereas the second is mostly garbage.

- Reincarnated as a Sword (Is this popular and recently well-loved?) - Dropped

- Shinsekai Yori - Dropped

I'm not even including all the Dragonballs, Bleach/Naruto/One Punch Man/Hero Academia/etc.-type battle shounen and/or superhero long-running stuff, as I said, that I have no interest in watching in the first place. 

The ones which sting the most are those like Shinsekai Yori and the like which I'm "supposed" to like in theory owing to my other favorites and genre preferences.
WatchTillTandavaApr 28, 2023 7:17 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Dub translation errors

JoeChip - 7 hours ago

18 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
42 seconds ago

» What was your 1000th anime?

Shizuna - Yesterday

20 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Are there any hobbies you do that are influenced by anime?

otaku2000anime - 4 hours ago

14 by Shirayukin »»
12 minutes ago

» Best episodic anime

JoeChip - 7 hours ago

17 by Zakception »»
31 minutes ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Gashadokur0 - Jun 23

193 by Pages_Pages »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.