Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 6, 2023 5:04 AM

Jun 2019
This is kinda funny. Like one of those B-rated movies but in anime. I like it.
Oct 6, 2023 5:32 AM
Jan 2020
TEZUKA PRODUCTIONS MAGICALLY LEARNED TO FUCKING ANIMATE
Oct 6, 2023 5:42 AM

Aug 2017
Well, let see how actual shinobis behave (hearing those words made me think of Naruto) in 2015 (70 years afeter WW2). I liked the animation and what was shown about the plot. It seems that our Kuro has nothing to do with his life until this point. He does look older than 17, tho.
Oct 6, 2023 7:01 AM
Aug 2015
Liked it.
Liked the strange art style/animation, liked the satire, liked the paper toilet scene, liked how they made fun of the flashback trope (not sure if it was intentional TBH) ... yeah, I liked it. (^_^)
Oct 6, 2023 10:59 AM
Sep 2023
In a season of great new offerings , this could be one of the best. It’s gritty and sexy and has funny and has a great, intriguing plot.
Oct 6, 2023 12:10 PM

Jun 2013
Why CG Bravo Team?
That was a very weird episode
at least it's interesting
Oct 6, 2023 12:14 PM
Apr 2022
[p]i didn't like this episode so much[p]
Oct 6, 2023 12:19 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to Raiseii
VirtueHunter said:
@Raiseii im sure most people turned it of the moment they saw the CGI soldiers talking broken engrishu and didn't get past that

Giving a show low score after not watching more than 2 minutes is dumb af.
@Raiseii it's not. 90% of anime quality is in the first few minutes.
Oct 6, 2023 12:38 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to Raiseii
It was a great first episode, especially in terms of the dry humor it provides. However, why the hell the score is this low? I don’t really understand how people give ratings in MAL anymore. It wasn’t like this a few years ago.
@Raiseii I think maybe a bunch of people looked at the first few seconds of CG and assumed it was going to be terrible and then just gave it a low rating, lol. TBH I thought it was going to be really bad, but actually it looks like it's going to be really good, just the "realistic" style Anime that I guess a lot of Shonen fanboys can't appreciate.
Oct 6, 2023 12:46 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to gamibo
@Dickegrobe Exactly..They tried to be edgy with art and colors.I think the word u wanted to say but couldnt find is COLORS.The coloring and shading used in this anime is very weird and off putting
@gamibo The colors are fine, they're going for a muted look in order to give off 'poverty' vibes. It's *supposed* to be off-putting. It's an artistic choice.

Also, IDK what people are talking about saying the motion is bad, it's like they've never actually seen hand-drawn animation. Obviously it's not going to look like a manga with super-detailed linework, it's impossible to do that in animation without using CG or a crazy high budget.
Oct 6, 2023 1:45 PM

Apr 2011
VirtueHunter said:

Yes, it is and you’re braindead for advocating the opposite. It is dumb to give score to a series that you haven’t even watched a single full episode. You can decide whether you want to watch it or not after the first two minutes, but giving ratings after the first few minutes is idiotic.
Oct 6, 2023 1:52 PM

Apr 2011
daiotaku said:
@Raiseii I think maybe a bunch of people looked at the first few seconds of CG and assumed it was going to be terrible and then just gave it a low rating, lol. TBH I thought it was going to be really bad, but actually it looks like it's going to be really good, just the "realistic" style Anime that I guess a lot of Shonen fanboys can't appreciate.

You’re right, I got the same feeling in the introduction, yet I haven’t jumped into conclusions before watching at least a few minutes more and I really liked the rest of the episode.
Oct 6, 2023 2:10 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to VirtueHunter
@VirtueHunter Well, in this particular show they used really shitty CG for the first 2 minutes and then the rest of the episode is hand-drawn and pretty good - Stylistically it's something everyone is going to like but it is actually well done.
Oct 6, 2023 2:25 PM

Mar 2012
17yo in anime be like.
Seriously, he looks like the typical mid-30s depressed guy.

Aside of that, what a trip, I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it the correct way, but will stick with it for sure.
The only complain I'll admit is the CG for the soldiers, but well, aside from that it was actually fairly well done.

Waifus only represent ideals
Oct 6, 2023 6:07 PM

Apr 2015
This one was so weird, but very interesting the same time.

I also like humor. Probably the true hidden gem this season.
Oct 6, 2023 6:28 PM
May 2017
man this shit might be cooking, i lowkey enjoyed it
Oct 6, 2023 9:37 PM

Sep 2020
This is one of the few animes where I want a dub. Watching how English VAs act out willfully stupid characters who enjoy acting stupid is always fun. I need to see how they handle the bathroom scene.

If liking lolicon makes me a pedo, not liking ecchi makes you a faggot
Oct 6, 2023 11:17 PM

Sep 2018
This was one of the weirdest 1st episodes I ever seen. The animation was great! I felt bad for the old guy who had his drinks stolen. Solid start!
Oct 6, 2023 11:53 PM

Aug 2016
The CGI was shit. I paused after the first 10 mins and read the manga just to take a peek but ended up reading the first volume. The art is better, hilarious dialogue that was lacking in the anime, and the pacing is better since it doesn’t chop things up. I’m not a fan of the anime art style. Unfortunately there’s only 2 volumes of the official english translation, so I’ll be keeping up with the show.
Oct 7, 2023 4:36 AM

Jan 2018
Reply to CorbanEsp
17yo in anime be like.
Seriously, he looks like the typical mid-30s depressed guy.

Aside of that, what a trip, I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it the correct way, but will stick with it for sure.
The only complain I'll admit is the CG for the soldiers, but well, aside from that it was actually fairly well done.

@CorbanEsp @CorbanEsp you think all ninjas there said truth? Much of them were lying. Kuro talked much lies in this first episode, even to Kawado. Kinda spoiler, but he is not the only child of his family. It's the story of Kumogakure
Oct 7, 2023 5:27 AM

Sep 2018
I have very little idea what I just watched and how I got through 20+ minutes of it. The dry, dirty deadpan humor combined with a plot centered around international politics and security affairs is just such an absurd combination?! The meta aspect also feels extremely forced. I don't think this one's for me, but at least I got a few chuckles out the latter half of the episode.
Oct 7, 2023 6:38 AM

Oct 2022
It looks really odd but i'll give it a few more episodes.
Oct 7, 2023 8:18 AM
Sep 2017
It was good, gonna try to keep up with it
Oct 7, 2023 9:03 AM
Jun 2023
i need to practice throwing fart dart too MC has skills
Oct 7, 2023 1:28 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to RizanEx_yc
@CorbanEsp @CorbanEsp you think all ninjas there said truth? Much of them were lying. Kuro talked much lies in this first episode, even to Kawado. Kinda spoiler, but he is not the only child of his family. It's the story of Kumogakure
@RizanEx_yc I don't know where did you get that I was thinking 100% of what was said was true.
I was citing the meme of "16yo in anime" that usually compares both lolis and JoJo characters.

The spoiler was unnecessary, this was ep 1 but I guess some people needs to say "I'm a source reader" to feel better.

Don't worry, I don't care about a spoiler about a series I started on a whim and have 0 attachment.
Waifus only represent ideals
Oct 7, 2023 5:15 PM
Jun 2021
Dickegrobe said:
What the actual fuck?

The storytelling of the manga is already layered af as is; often in a good and interesting way, but it still takes quite some effort to follow. There was no need to mix it up further by shuffling bits from the first 10 or so chapters around (only to cut up 20 story puzzle pieces into 100).

Also, may I say that I don't like the animation? And I don't mean the CGIness of it. The quality sucks. While the backgrounds are kind of nice, the characters look crappy and everything in motion sucks ass. Where the manga shows off like crazy - characters/details, basically anything in motion like parcour stuff, fighting, absolutely insane sword play ... (it looks all so frickin good in the manga, animated even (no, really!)) - the bits of it that could be seen in the first episode look just weird, clunky and wrong.

Kind of disappointing ...

weird to complain when theres not a single shot that uses cgi outside of the op.
what you ARE seeing is character animation standing out from the backgrounds artstyle
Oct 7, 2023 5:17 PM
Jun 2021
KANLen09 said:
From the mangaka of 2009's "I Am a Hero", Kengo Hanazawa's modern ninja story is quite the brain kicker. KOTORI's OP is really good, and creative.

4 students gather on the school rooftop to declare war on people around them, though that was what the MC's story became to be: the lazy NEET of Kurou Kumogakure just wasting his life away, but a deliveryman came into his house and he resumes his ninja duties.

Kuro's first duty being to infiltrate a high school, but he has to go through his drunk neighbour's place as a shinobi to get toilet paper for her, then phone the school for his enrollment, despite him looking like an old man for a 17-year-old juvenile. Once he put his drunk neighbour to rest, Kuro can finally act on his ninja work and finding a place where his work is located.

Quite a unique show where ninjas rule the world. Dark and gritty, just like the manga.

dude i had no idea it was by Hanazawa, i am a hero is one of my all time favourite manga, and now that you mention it, the two have a similar vibe comedy wise
Oct 7, 2023 7:40 PM
Feb 2021
This makes me want an I am a Hero anime even more.
Oct 7, 2023 8:43 PM

Sep 2021
I have no idea what I just watched.

So. There's this ninja who apperantly took down some big shot in the past, then became a NEET and now gets the new task to infiltrate a high school. And at some point afterwards he, alongside his teammates, has to fight against an opposing Ninja team which also infiltrates a school? I hope I got the outlines of the plot with that.

I really can't say where this is going. The scene of Kurou getting the girl to make the call as his mother was funny. But was it even supposed to be funny?

Maybe next week will give me more insight. I hope it has some actual plot and such and won't be another "Essay of a 2nd Grader animated", like Magical Destroyers this spring.
Oct 7, 2023 8:46 PM
Jul 2020
Actually enjoyed this premier more than some others like MFG and Shangri-La. Sticking with it for now.
Oct 7, 2023 8:55 PM

Jan 2018
Reply to CorbanEsp
@RizanEx_yc I don't know where did you get that I was thinking 100% of what was said was true.
I was citing the meme of "16yo in anime" that usually compares both lolis and JoJo characters.

The spoiler was unnecessary, this was ep 1 but I guess some people needs to say "I'm a source reader" to feel better.

Don't worry, I don't care about a spoiler about a series I started on a whim and have 0 attachment.
@CorbanEsp ahh, i'm sorry, my bad
Oct 7, 2023 11:40 PM
Sep 2021
The opening song was good and the visuals and the art style was good and nice world setting, let's see what happens next.
Oct 8, 2023 3:32 AM
Jul 2015
Reply to GreatCarerJack
Dickegrobe said:
What the actual fuck?

The storytelling of the manga is already layered af as is; often in a good and interesting way, but it still takes quite some effort to follow. There was no need to mix it up further by shuffling bits from the first 10 or so chapters around (only to cut up 20 story puzzle pieces into 100).

Also, may I say that I don't like the animation? And I don't mean the CGIness of it. The quality sucks. While the backgrounds are kind of nice, the characters look crappy and everything in motion sucks ass. Where the manga shows off like crazy - characters/details, basically anything in motion like parcour stuff, fighting, absolutely insane sword play ... (it looks all so frickin good in the manga, animated even (no, really!)) - the bits of it that could be seen in the first episode look just weird, clunky and wrong.

Kind of disappointing ...

weird to complain when theres not a single shot that uses cgi outside of the op.
what you ARE seeing is character animation standing out from the backgrounds artstyle
GreatCarerJack said:
weird to complain when theres not a single shot that uses cgi outside of the op

You just picked out that one thing (as a supposed complaint) that I didn't complain about.
Oct 8, 2023 5:20 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Wow, this really got me hook like and sinker in the first episode. The opening scene threw me off a little, but I knew the whole show wouldn’t be CGI like that, it was a cool scene too and the English was actually some of the best I’ve ever heard in anime lol. But afterwards the actual show starts, and I really liked what I saw. Based on all the information we got, I can’t tell if we’re seeing actual ninjas or if this is all make believe but I love the thin line between the two so far.

And our MC Kuro has an interesting life looks like, the apartment he lives in has some hidden compartments where he can go between rooms and he has a unique relationship with his neighbor lol, I really enjoyed the entire bit between the two of them. And after seeing that flashback, we went back to the present only to get thrown into another flashback where I’m guessing we get to see Kuro deal with this ninja obsessed foreigner, the history thrown in there was cool too, not sure if it’s all true but it has me interested in looking into it now lol, definitely a part of World War 2 that isn’t focused on a lot.

And both the OP and ED were very good, I especially loved the ED song and its visuals, it honestly reminds me of old school anime, perhaps one of my favorites of the season already. I really hate that I had to move this show so far away from the day it actually comes out on but I’ll be here eventually every week because this slapped imo.

Edit after reading other posts: wow this thread is kinda disappointing lol, but it’s what expected too. Also surprised some people thought the English was bad in the first scene, I don’t think you’ve heard bad English if you thought that was bad, but it was just one scene after all so it’s not a big deal.
TheColonel76Oct 8, 2023 5:29 AM
Oct 8, 2023 9:52 AM

Oct 2008
w0w! i'm so confused! but this is definitely interesting! cuz when shows are boring i ted to almost fall asleep doze-off but this one the humor kept me awake! LOLZ!
4/5.

Oct 8, 2023 12:55 PM

Sep 2014
Liking it very much. I though this season I wouldn't be able to watch anything interesting. I really have to be careful not to give too much credit to MAL score, because this for me is like an 8.5/10 for now.
Oct 9, 2023 8:59 AM

Jul 2011
I liked it so far 👍

Oct 10, 2023 12:30 AM
Aug 2021
cool atmosphere. first scene is laughable, but the ret is pretty cool.
Oct 10, 2023 8:30 AM
Mar 2012
realistic gritty designs. cool OP.
Funny english.
Every scene is lol wth how insane is this writing. Seems like part chunni part real ninjas... then add neet & some military plot.
one of the funnier shows this season.
Oct 10, 2023 9:18 AM
Apr 2023
This episode was funny, over the top with that fart dart but funny overall. I kept waiting for the one on one ninja fight but it just built up to it. The fights will seal it for me. Waiting for ep 2
Oct 10, 2023 3:03 PM
Jan 2017
tourist here, what's the weird language they are talking to not be listened to on the roof?
Oct 11, 2023 7:49 AM
Apr 2018
Loved it.... 6.5 Mal scores suck lol
Oct 12, 2023 2:57 AM
Jun 2012
True practicioners of the Ninja Way™️. Believe it!
Oct 12, 2023 3:51 PM
Feb 2022
Bem vamos ver , a temática ninja chama a atenção
Oct 15, 2023 11:51 AM

Jun 2015
Quite like the opening, this looks like it might get wild. Cant wait to see the first proper fight
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 15, 2023 2:51 PM

Nov 2013
Hahaha, this be one of those fever dream shows lol. Too bad people hating this because of CGI.
Oct 15, 2023 3:12 PM
Apr 2021
This show's starting very low that was so wobbly idk if it's worth watching 🫣
Oct 16, 2023 7:02 AM

Mar 2014
I thought this ninja show could be interesting but after watching I'm not sure

and that fake engrish is so cringey
Oct 16, 2023 5:50 PM
Sep 2020
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Oct 25, 2023 7:27 AM
May 2023
The concept of this anime is very interesting, since it's an original and more realistic turn of the idea of ninjas. However, the beginning was slow and the characters felt off. Will keep watching tho.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2023

119 by Richlord »»
Jun 7, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2023

20 by Tony2Phones »»
Apr 23, 10:25 AM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2023

29 by Tony2Phones »»
Apr 14, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2023

57 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 21, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Under Ninja Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2023

21 by princessoftrash »»
Mar 17, 1:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.