Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2023 9:30 PM

Mar 2010
MaouHero said:
Well, don't trust MAL too much. Lately the scoring system has gotten weird. Maybe it changed something or the popularity of anime changed things. Anyway, you can easily see that several anime are getting 6 and several 8, even 9. It's pretty unregulated.
And the main factor, the story is being built little by little, it's not a shounen with a super bad guy to defeat right away. The protagonist also didn't show himself as a "badass" right away. There was also nothing extremely flashy and exaggerated.

These are triggers that people are conditioned to expect.
The annoying thing here plenty of long-running excellent series begin exactly like Spellblades in terms of structure and you even have other making same complaints those shows too despite fact they should know better, but Spellblades somehow magically worse. Quality shows don't spill the beans about everything they are and they characters are about unless they gonna end in 12 episodes or one book. But some ding Spellblades for not 2 seasons worth character development & characterization in 3 episodes.  But ultimately yeah, MAL scores have never been the best judge of quality. Especially when you can rate shows before they even air.

Jul 24, 2023 12:21 AM
Mar 2018
Iron_Maw said:
The said:
The annoying thing here plenty of long-running excellent series begin exactly like Spellblades in terms of structure and you even have other making same complaints those shows too despite fact they should know better, but Spellblades somehow magically worse. Quality shows don't spill the beans about everything they are and they characters are about unless they gonna end in 12 episodes or one book. But some ding Spellblades for not 2 seasons worth character development & characterization in 3 episodes.  But ultimately yeah, MAL scores have never been the best judge of quality. Especially when you can rate shows before they even air.

MaouHero said:
Well, don't trust MAL too much. Lately the scoring system has gotten weird. Maybe it changed something or the popularity of anime changed things. Anyway, you can easily see that several anime are getting 6 and several 8, even 9. It's pretty unregulated.
And the main factor, the story is being built little by little, it's not a shounen with a super bad guy to defeat right away. The protagonist also didn't show himself as a "badass" right away. There was also nothing extremely flashy and exaggerated.

in terms of scores after 3 eps there are many examples of it changing such as black clover being hated at the start and dangers in my heart last season, but you only can judge based on the content out so i feel 6.8 is pretty justified the first 3 eps have been pretty mediocre 
Jul 24, 2023 4:45 AM

Mar 2010
Connort1998 said:
Iron_Maw said:

in terms of scores after 3 eps there are many examples of it changing such as black clover being hated at the start and dangers in my heart last season, but you only can judge based on the content out so i feel 6.8 is pretty justified the first 3 eps have been pretty mediocre 
Oh I see it changing for the better, but doesn't change the point about MAL's scoring system being terrible. The problem extends beyond Spellblades where plenty of series that way lower than should be as well as higher. There shows start off strong then drop like rock in quality other start off weaker and become of best of their season but this is rarely reflected due to MAL's kneejerk reaction culture. There is no real justification, its just vibes. Like said Spellblades is like a lot of long-running series in itd early beginning and treated worse for shallow reasons that more to due with timing (people just hate magical academy stories nowadays) than anything else. A lot of MAL issues would be fixed if scores where simply locked until airing was done, wherever you were  during its could just down you points and feeling after experiencing as much you could. No it not perfect solution but it be sure a sight better than what it we got and scoring would be given some proper weight.

Anyway I have gone through situation with plenty of my favs like Re:Zero, 86 etc so none surprises me anymore. Honestly, I'm really happy Re:Zero came out in 2016 before full isekai bashing got started because it barely escaped damage even then.

Iron_MawJul 24, 2023 4:52 AM
Jul 25, 2023 11:57 AM

Aug 2012
Didn't rate it but I dropped it on the first episode. Just seemed weird to me that everyone became friends instantly. Have all your generic character tropes. Booknerd, the clutz etc.

The ogre attack at the festival was the biggest issue I had with it. How are they going to have all these dangerous creatures walking around with no security? Guess the intent was to showcase the characters strengths but how it was set up seemed lazy. This show just seems... generic.
Jul 25, 2023 12:25 PM

Mar 2010
Necromia said:
Didn't rate it but I dropped it on the first episode. Just seemed weird to me that everyone became friends instantly. Have all your generic character tropes. Booknerd, the clutz etc.

The ogre attack at the festival was the biggest issue I had with it. How are they going to have all these dangerous creatures walking around with no security? Guess the intent was to showcase the characters strengths but how it was set up seemed lazy. This show just seems... generic.
Well they dd not become firends immediately. I went rewatched the ep1 r to troll incident and dinner all everyone was doing was either making some smalltalk they see or somebody telling to watch for something. If that idea being friends then I have assume you don't either don't anyway or you have never held conversation on train with some didn't know after comment something happening. They only become friends at dinner after whole troll incident clear up because why wouldn't they after helping save a fellow student?

And there guards the (students show leading the parade), that wasn't the problem, the issue was Katie magically forced to run there and nobody had anytime react to other than people literally next to her. Troll itself wasn't supposed to act like that anyway, as been trained to be docile which is a plot point.  Beyond That I don't what Spellblades suppose to be generic compared to. As mentioned before JJK is generic shounen with go-getter protagonist, training arcs, schools, a trio friends, with energy based power systems and overt-top villains and people are just fine with that given MAL's score.

Iron_MawJul 25, 2023 12:29 PM
Jul 25, 2023 8:17 PM

Mar 2010
Actually seeing poplaur shows like MT getting bashed just leads further to believe this very much a MAL thing and it only feel worse with Spellblades because its not a well known title internationally and thus hasn't built the fanbase like those show did to weather annoyance since it is still early.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2108353
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2108428

It actually makes feel better about this ridiculous situation.
Jul 25, 2023 8:31 PM

Feb 2021
"manga had a decent score."

this is not adaptating from the manga
Jul 25, 2023 11:10 PM

Jul 2022
I'm an outsider to this story, but after three episodes it rang kinda hollow. Way too many characters being introduced at once, and they're practically BFFs half-way into the first episode? Some weird pacing and plot development overall:

I appreciated the story and movies, but I'm not really a Harry Potter fan. Is that supposed to be the main selling point on this one?
Jul 26, 2023 10:39 PM

Mar 2010
warchilll said:
I'm an outsider to this story, but after three episodes it rang kinda hollow. Way too many characters being introduced at once, and they're practically BFFs half-way into the first episode? Some weird pacing and plot development overall:

I appreciated the story and movies, but I'm not really a Harry Potter fan. Is that supposed to be the main selling point on this one?
The appeal of show is setting and seeing the characters from vastly different backgrounds who have decent chemistry with each other bonding in school that revealing itself to harsher than look colorful appearance suggests They aren't BFF just they talked to each other. I don't why some people ignore that 6 where involved in crisis where they were forced to put they whatever differences they had at the time and worked together (when they didn't  even know their names at that point) to save a fellow student from death in situation only they had time to react due to being near her. Why wouldn't you think that would make the group a bit more open to each other by time for proper introduction come I don't know. Sounds like a bunch people that share a common sentiment valuing people lives over petty bullshit and they using the excuse of not knowing each allow pointless deaths.

On your spoiler

Personally don't know any of it feel hollow or what some are expecting out of it. So far the first 3 episodes have focused on set good natured people (even without taken account any friendships formed) with have distinct personalities who are all in the same boat become solid friends through a crisis with hints of a larger plot in store in the background.

Iron_MawJul 26, 2023 10:54 PM
Jul 26, 2023 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
Necromia said:

Well, only 80% of students survive until graduation, so student safety isn't necessarily a huge priority. lol  
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 27, 2023 5:32 AM
Jan 2020
Aside from Nanao, these characters range from bland cliches to downright annoying and only seem to worse each episode. On top of that there is so much stupid. Students enslaved or killed for being in the school halls slightly late. "Civil rights" for monsters.

Jul 29, 2023 12:13 AM

Aug 2012
Iron_Maw said:
Necromia said:

Well they dd not become firends immediately. I went rewatched the ep1 r to troll incident and dinner all everyone was doing was either making some smalltalk they see or somebody telling to watch for something. If that idea being friends then I have assume you don't either don't anyway or you have never held conversation on train with some didn't know after comment something happening. They only become friends at dinner after whole troll incident clear up because why wouldn't they after helping save a fellow student?

And there guards the (students show leading the parade), that wasn't the problem, the issue was Katie magically forced to run there and nobody had anytime react to other than people literally next to her. Troll itself wasn't supposed to act like that anyway, as been trained to be docile which is a plot point.  Beyond That I don't what Spellblades suppose to be generic compared to. As mentioned before JJK is generic shounen with go-getter protagonist, training arcs, schools, a trio friends, with energy based power systems and overt-top villains and people are just fine with that given MAL's score.
So the ones leading the creatures were working as guards too? In that case that the one leading the golden dragon right behind the troll would have been closer to help but he didn't. 

The scene is just a low effort setup to rush their friendship and showcase their powers. That's a hard drop for me. 

Also idc about your JJK meltdown as much as idc about this show.
Jul 29, 2023 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
Necromia said:
Iron_Maw said:

So the ones leading the creatures were working as guards too? In that case that the one leading the golden dragon right behind the troll would have been closer to help but he didn't. 

The scene is just a low effort setup to rush their friendship and showcase their powers. That's a hard drop for me. 

Excuse me, why are you assuming that ANYONE is working as GUARDS in a SCHOOL? This isn't the US, guards in a school is a complete anomaly. I was even surprised that several viewers were complaining about no security being here inside the school, not sure if you're american or not, but if you are, just so you know, pretty much the entire world outside of your country consider normal to have 0 guard in a school and would be weirded out at the idea of adding some.

The few upperclassmen present in the parade all were busy taking care of way stronger monsters. The parade is organised fully by a few upper classmen that volunteered. Are you suggesting than the guy with the dragon should have left the dragon alone in the middle of the crowd to run after a troll that went away from the line ? Or did you want him or her to blast the place with something strong enough to go through the troll's thick skin and bone with all the freshmen around it ?

The trolls didn't have anyone guiding them with a leash because like it was said in episode 1, they're slaves so it's normal that they're walking around alone doing work, they're magically subjugated. Leaving alone a way bigger monster that is definitely not subjugated since it's kept with a leash for the sake of running after a smaller one is your idea of "security" btw? The troll went away from the line, so the upper classmen weren't especially close, only other freshmen were.

Finally, I'd like to point out something very simple that you have missed
- by coincidence, Katie who is from a family supporting non human right was targeted by that spell that made her at risk of dying by a non human sentient race.
- by coincidence, a troll, that never went berserk before and was supposed to be fully enslaved, went berserk at the exact same time
- by coincidence, no upperclassman nor teaching staff was close enough and immediately available to arrive in the first 30sec- 1 min of the incident.

Why, oh why, are you thinking that this incident is only here as a one time thing only serving to make them all friend ? Why, oh why, are you assuming that the 3rd coincidence is just bad writing rather than adding all 3 coincidence together and think there's no such thing as a coincidence in the whole incident here? That it happened to Katie not by coincidence, that a troll that had no business going berserk went berserk at that exact same time and ran from the line wasn't a coincidence, and that the timing of everything being when no one that could help quickly was close enough to do so is no coincidence as well?

Why, oh why, are you so eager to brush off what happened to Katie here as a simple prank that went too far? When even the teachers that usually don't care especially about the student's safety find the whole thing fishy enough to apologize publicly, and go out of their way to research the incident to understand what really happened here ?

Is this REALLY bad writing, or are you ASSUMING it's bad writing and threw away any other way more logical possibilities ?
ZefyrisJul 29, 2023 7:04 AM
Jul 29, 2023 2:03 PM
Apr 2023
After watching episode 4, I'm hyped for the next episodes
Jul 29, 2023 9:10 PM

Mar 2010
Zefyris said:
Necromia said:

Excuse me, why are you assuming that ANYONE is working as GUARDS in a SCHOOL? This isn't the US, guards in a school is a complete anomaly. I was even surprised that several viewers were complaining about no security being here inside the school, not sure if you're american or not, but if you are, just so you know, pretty much the entire world outside of your country consider normal to have 0 guard in a school and would be weirded out at the idea of adding some.

The few upperclassmen present in the parade all were busy taking care of way stronger monsters. The parade is organised fully by a few upper classmen that volunteered. Are you suggesting than the guy with the dragon should have left the dragon alone in the middle of the crowd to run after a troll that went away from the line ? Or did you want him or her to blast the place with something strong enough to go through the troll's thick skin and bone with all the freshmen around it ?

The trolls didn't have anyone guiding them with a leash because like it was said in episode 1, they're slaves so it's normal that they're walking around alone doing work, they're magically subjugated. Leaving alone a way bigger monster that is definitely not subjugated since it's kept with a leash for the sake of running after a smaller one is your idea of "security" btw? The troll went away from the line, so the upper classmen weren't especially close, only other freshmen were.

Finally, I'd like to point out something very simple that you have missed
- by coincidence, Katie who is from a family supporting non human right was targeted by that spell that made her at risk of dying by a non human sentient race.
- by coincidence, a troll, that never went berserk before and was supposed to be fully enslaved, went berserk at the exact same time
- by coincidence, no upperclassman nor teaching staff was close enough and immediately available to arrive in the first 30sec- 1 min of the incident.

Why, oh why, are you thinking that this incident is only here as a one time thing only serving to make them all friend ? Why, oh why, are you assuming that the 3rd coincidence is just bad writing rather than adding all 3 coincidence together and think there's no such thing as a coincidence in the whole incident here? That it happened to Katie not by coincidence, that a troll that had no business going berserk went berserk at that exact same time and ran from the line wasn't a coincidence, and that the timing of everything being when no one that could help quickly was close enough to do so is no coincidence as well?

Why, oh why, are you so eager to brush off what happened to Katie here as a simple prank that went too far? When even the teachers that usually don't care especially about the student's safety find the whole thing fishy enough to apologize publicly, and go out of their way to research the incident to understand what really happened here ?

Is this REALLY bad writing, or are you ASSUMING it's bad writing and threw away any other way more logical possibilities ?
Excellent points. Needs to be stressed that what happened to Katie was highly unusual and that even why there whole on-going investigation. Trolls don't sudden do what the one in episode one did and has Vera pointed out Kimberley is good at domesticating them.
Jul 30, 2023 2:35 AM

Nov 2013
2 episodes in, low rating is already undeserved. 1 glance is enough to deduct the studio put a lot of effort in this. Sure, effort alone isn't enough to make a quality product but I don't see how this show is average/mid or worse. Unlike many other shows this season, you can feel love that was put in making this one. It's sad to see how little this is appreciated.
Jul 30, 2023 3:20 AM

Feb 2021
Nothing wrong. If you like magic theme, spells, duels, battles between mages - this is for you, must watch. Although it is VERY SIMILAR TO HARRY POTTER, still it has differences.

Anyway it is a really amazing series! I plan to read the manga after the anime ends.
MemoreJul 30, 2023 3:28 AM
Aug 1, 2023 4:24 PM

Nov 2009
ejleon said:

I have heard of rating after 1 or 3 or 5 episodes, or just rating before even watching, that is completely unfair for the creators.

I think the option to rate an anime should only be available to those who have watched all the episodes, because that’s the only way to fairly each anime.

I have had both experiences where the first few episodes are…

1. not that good, but then it becomes a great anime series

2. really good at the beginning, but then later episodes ruin the anime

It is just not right that people act this way.

Actually... this is the norm in Japan too.

Especially since people vote on a manga by CHAPTER. And those with lower ranking for a long period will be cancelled.

Whereas they base on the anime ranking on "episode sales". Yup, there are rankings of how much each of an anime's episode is selling, if it doesn't get good sales PER episode, there's a chance the anime won't be having any more season/ sequels. (sometimes to the point where a studio gets revamped in the middle of a airing season, IE: people/ artist/ director get replaced)

Have you never seen posts about episode sales before? there are lots. Tho mostly in fairly popular series.

Anime sites that do reviews and ratings are actually quite tame compared to the actual real world business side, LOL.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Aug 1, 2023 4:31 PM

Oct 2019
ejleon said:
I have heard of rating after 1 or 3 or 5 episodes, or just rating before even watching, that is completely unfair for the creators.

I think the option to rate an anime should only be available to those who have watched all the episodes, because that’s the only way to fairly each anime.

I disagree. you can and should rate a show based on how good it is so far, but you should judge based on the core aspects like (writing, music, animation) rather than the stuff that takes time to develope.

what I think is unfair is rating a show that you have dropped. 

shows do get better or worse as they go on, but if you rate it before finishing it, you error is only temporary. it will be gone as soon as you finish it.

but since you will never finishing the dropped show, you are unfairly lowering the score of a show that you will never finish. which is why I never rate the shows I drop even if I am pretty certain of how good their quality is.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Aug 1, 2023 4:33 PM

Oct 2019
MaouHero said:

I think the problem is that people wanted a generic isekai, but it's actually a decent show. so it's stuck between not being trashy enough for isekai fans, and not being amazing enough to impress others, at least so far.

idk though I haven't started this season yet, too busy catching up on some older stuff.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Aug 1, 2023 7:59 PM

May 2018
APolygons2 said:
MaouHero said:

I think the problem is that people wanted a generic isekai, but it's actually a decent show. so it's stuck between not being trashy enough for isekai fans, and not being amazing enough to impress others, at least so far.

idk though I haven't started this season yet, too busy catching up on some older stuff.
In part, I think it's because the story doesn't lay it all out so obviously. For example, it has already been foreshadowed that should have political and ideological conflicts. The characters also have different backgrounds and therefore different worldviews. But all this is being shown gradually.
The last episode had a lot of blood and good animation, yet the score just dropped.
I don't even say it should be an 8 or 7.5, but at least above 7. That Isekai de Cheat got a 7.5 and only dropped when the animation got horrible.
Aug 2, 2023 4:09 PM

Apr 2021
amlg said:
ejleon said:

Especially since people vote on a manga by CHAPTER. And those with lower ranking for a long period will be cancelled.

Whereas they base on the anime ranking on "episode sales". Yup, there are rankings of how much each of an anime's episode is selling, if it doesn't get good sales PER episode, there's a chance the anime won't be having any more season/ sequels. (sometimes to the point where a studio gets revamped in the middle of a airing season, IE: people/ artist/ director get replaced)

Have you never seen posts about episode sales before? there are lots. Tho mostly in fairly popular series.

Anime sites that do reviews and ratings are actually quite tame compared to the actual real world business side, LOL.

I am commenting on MAL ratings only.
1. MAL per episode ratings
2. MAL completed anime ratings

… so the “sales” are not a part of my comment.

But thank you for explaining, seems really unfair to me.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Aug 2, 2023 4:18 PM

Apr 2021
APolygons2 said:
ejleon said:

I disagree. you can and should rate a show based on how good it is so far, but you should judge based on the core aspects like (writing, music, animation) rather than the stuff that takes time to develope.

what I think is unfair is rating a show that you have dropped. 

shows do get better or worse as they go on, but if you rate it before finishing it, you error is only temporary. it will be gone as soon as you finish it.

but since you will never finishing the dropped show, you are unfairly lowering the score of a show that you will never finish. which is why I never rate the shows I drop even if I am pretty certain of how good their quality is.

I don’t drop any shows, so that does not apply to me.

I have put shows on hold due to various reasons.

I use MAL “per episode rating” & “completed anime rating”, which are separate, allowing me rate each episode and then rate the entire anime at the end.

And I do rate according to everything in the anime, from music to sound to fonts to colors to art backgrounds to character designs to animation to use of 3D to writing to story plot to background explanation to dialogue, etc etc etc.
ejleonAug 2, 2023 4:21 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Aug 3, 2023 6:58 AM
Aug 2023
Iron_Maw said:
warchilll said:

The appeal of show is setting and seeing the characters from vastly different backgrounds who have decent chemistry with each other bonding in school that revealing itself to harsher than look colorful appearance suggests They aren't BFF just they talked to each other. I don't why some people ignore that 6 where involved in crisis where they were forced to put they whatever differences they had at the time and worked together (when they didn't  even know their names at that point) to save a fellow student from death in situation only they had time to react due to being near her. Why wouldn't you think that would make the group a bit more open to each other by time for proper introduction come I don't know. Sounds like a bunch people that share a common sentiment valuing people lives over petty bullshit and they using the excuse of not knowing each allow pointless deaths.
On your spoiler

Personally don't know any of it feel hollow or what some are expecting out of it. So far the first 3 episodes have focused on set good natured people (even without taken account any friendships formed) with have distinct personalities who are all in the same boat become solid friends through a crisis with hints of a larger plot in store in the background.
Thank you. Just thank you. I so rarely see reasoned and adequately crafted responses to Spellblades claims, it's good to see one. It's worse on forums of my language. I hope OP and the people with questions are satisfied. And I hope my post doesn't break any rules, I only registered for this thanks)
Iron_Maw said:
On your spoiler
Thank you. Just thank you. I so rarely see reasoned and adequately written responses to Spellblades claims, I'm glad to see such a thing. It's worse on forums of my language. I hope OP and the people with questions are satisfied. And I hope my post doesn't break any rules, I only registered for this thanks) Same for Zefyris ofc.
Aug 4, 2023 9:59 AM

Mar 2010
Mahirunin said:
Iron_Maw said:
On your spoiler

Thank you. Just thank you. I so rarely see reasoned and adequately crafted responses to Spellblades claims, it's good to see one. It's worse on forums of my language. I hope OP and the people with questions are satisfied. And I hope my post doesn't break any rules, I only registered for this thanks)
Thank you. Just thank you. I so rarely see reasoned and adequately written responses to Spellblades claims, I'm glad to see such a thing. It's worse on forums of my language. I hope OP and the people with questions are satisfied. And I hope my post doesn't break any rules, I only registered for this thanks) Same for Zefyris ofc.
No problem!, happy to help!
Aug 4, 2023 10:07 AM

Feb 2019
Nothing. Just tourists giving it a low score one volume into a 15 volume+ series
Aug 4, 2023 6:53 PM

Nov 2009
ejleon said:
amlg said:

I know the sales isn't yours.

I was just mentioning it cause that's what the Japan do, especially since it actually affects the whole anime at the end.

Anime with bad episode sales have very low chance of getting sequels. So the sales in this case is the ratings Japan do for EACH episode.

You can go search up ppls talking about episode sales and how it affects the whole rating of an anime series in Japan.

It's also the reason why MAL has TWO different ratings for anime.

One for "each episode" and another for "as a series".

The "each episode" is to reflect how the Japan do their ratings for the manga and anime series, while the "as a series" is for people that wants to only rate on a completed series.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Aug 4, 2023 7:08 PM

Apr 2021
amlg said:
ejleon said:

I was just mentioning it cause that's what the Japan do, especially since it actually affects the whole anime at the end.

Anime with bad episode sales have very low chance of getting sequels. So the sales in this case is the ratings Japan do for EACH episode.

You can go search up ppls talking about episode sales and how it affects the whole rating of an anime series in Japan.

The "each episode" is to reflect how the Japan do their ratings for the manga and anime series, while the "as a series" is for people that wants to only rate on a completed series.

I understand, thank you for expounding on the “sales” aspect, it is important to know.

I wish they allowed creators to finish a season and then judged them on that, rather than per episode.

It gives the audience too much power and the creators not enough power.

They can always redo an anime if it doesn’t do well.

Can’t they?

Aug 5, 2023 3:10 AM

Feb 2021
amlg said:
ejleon said:

They have A VERY BIG EXPECTATIONS OF THE ADAPTATION, that is why they made 15 episodes to air. I hope that they announce a second season soon after the series ends, I like it so much!
Aug 5, 2023 12:03 PM
Jul 2015
Personally, my problems lie with a few things:
- the MC is the most boring character of the main cast (aside from maybe Guy). His personality is bland just like his design and of course seems pretty overpowered, comically so sometimes. Him running around during that alchemy lesson, being apparently the only capable one saving all the others was almost hilarious. He probably has some "epic" backstory, but that doesn't excuse anything. He's a pretty generic anime fantasy character (and similar to the generic isekai characters as well). Tbh, the only characters I'm interested in are Nanao and Katie.
- the majority of the rest of the students (and some of the teachers) have been portrayed as almost cartoonishly evil without any real justification.
- the interactions between the main cast feel very forced and unnatural. It's sometimes almost annoying to me.
- the school doesn't make much sense to me. Is the freedom to do basically anything really worth he lives of 20% of students? So far, the reason there seem to be many deaths, seem to be the students (and teachers) themselves. Even if the cause was a terribly dangerous curriculum, why would they accept students that have little to no magic experience? In most cases, that probably doesn't work out well, like would have for multiple people during that alchemy lesson had our lord and saviour Oliver not been there (because the teacher doesn't care apparently).
JakkoFourEyesAug 5, 2023 12:07 PM
Aug 5, 2023 4:04 PM
Aug 2023
JakkoFourEyes said:
- the MC is the most boring character of the main cast (aside from maybe Guy). His personality is bland just like his design and of course seems pretty overpowered, comically so sometimes. Him running around during that alchemy lesson, being apparently the only capable one saving all the others was almost hilarious. He probably has some "epic" backstory, but that doesn't excuse anything. He's a pretty generic anime fantasy character (and similar to the generic isekai characters as well). Tbh, the only characters I'm interested in are Nanao and Katie.
- the majority of the rest of the students (and some of the teachers) have been portrayed as almost cartoonishly evil without any real justification.
- the interactions between the main cast feel very forced and unnatural. It's sometimes almost annoying to me.
- the school doesn't make much sense to me. Is the freedom to do basically anything really worth he lives of 20% of students? So far, the reason there seem to be many deaths, seem to be the students (and teachers) themselves. Even if the cause was a terribly dangerous curriculum, why would they accept students that have little to no magic experience? In most cases, that probably doesn't work out well, like would have for multiple people during that alchemy lesson had our lord and saviour Oliver not been there (because the teacher doesn't care apparently).
The MC has already shown his duality of character. Inability to restrain anger and battle rage. This is the duel scene, and then the attack on his classmates. It won't be long before this character is more developed - either one or two episodes. It's not just some " badass side" but literally the basis of the character's internal conflict.
Is the freedom to do basically anything really worth the lives of 20% of students? Yes. Kimberly is exactly that kind of place and has significant reasons to be exactly that kind of place. Unfortunately, it won't be fully explained during the season.
And there's not much fear of injuries in class. The only thing that doesn't cure  with magic here is death. Although I don't deny the ridiculousness of the alchemy scene. In idea it plays on the dualism of Oliver, but specifically in the serial it looks bad.
MahiruninAug 5, 2023 4:08 PM
Aug 5, 2023 10:49 PM

Mar 2010
JakkoFourEyes said:
-When has he been OP, please list them. All you done use the word generic like 5 times without actually saying of why he's bad. You're complaints are just nonsensical to me seem boil down I hate because him has black hair and isn't asshole. Doesn't sound like he ever gonna win with your given how much project on him. Might as well add he generic for breathing too.
-Every character has literally presented reasons why act they way none of have been cartoonish evil. Like sell gonna on Andrews and Mackley being super mega evil then you have good examples of that.
-What is unnatural about their interaction and what does natural interaction look like? Where is this objective standard that everyone is supposed to follow?
-Yes is to them in this society. This was outlined in the first episode. The world doesn't care appealing to your personal morality on the matter. The accept students into the school who little experience because whole point to teach them magic turn them in proper mages. That also means accumulating to culture of mages. Why do you think alchemy, spellology, magical biology and other classes we have seen are for? Why are asking questions you pretend aren't awnserd by watching the show? This asking why Jujutsu Sorcerers go high school.
Aug 6, 2023 3:11 AM
Jul 2015
Iron_Maw said:
JakkoFourEyes said:
-When has he been OP, please list them. All you done use the word generic like 5 times without actually saying of why he's bad. You're complaints are just nonsensical to me seem boil down I hate because him has black hair and isn't asshole. Doesn't sound like he ever gonna win with your given how much project on him. Might as well add he generic for breathing too.
-Every character has literally presented reasons why act they way none of have been cartoonish evil. Like sell gonna on Andrews and Mackley being super mega evil then you have good examples of that.
-What is unnatural about their interaction and what does natural interaction look like? Where is this objective standard that everyone is supposed to follow?
-Yes is to them in this society. This was outlined in the first episode. The world doesn't care appealing to your personal morality on the matter. The accept students into the school who little experience because whole point to teach them magic turn them in proper mages. That also means accumulating to culture of mages. Why do you think alchemy, spellology, magical biology and other classes we have seen are for? Why are asking questions you pretend aren't awnserd by watching the show? This asking why Jujutsu Sorcerers go high school.

My guy, as I said, these are my personal feelings. No need getting so worked up about it.

- Sounds like you are the one projecting here. I never said any of this. I think he's generic because he's very similar to many other fantasy anime out there and I don't think he's an interesting character. In my opinion, he shows very little actual personality aside from a couple of moments. As for his OP'ness, sure he's not One Punch Man, but he sure knows how to do everything really well without too much issue. I've already listed on such thing in my original comment. Another one: the 1st troll incident. He knew exactly what to do and executed it perfectly.
Another one: the colosseum. He handled it almost perfectly. Yeah he got wounded, but knows healing magic so it was no biggie. Apparently the only one who knew healing magic there, as it seemed to be said that the rest didn't seem to know it.

- I said the majority of students, not specific characters. The colloseum bit for example.

- where did I say there's an objective standard? It just feels that way to me. I can't really explain it.

- Yes, of course it makes sense to the fictional society because that's what the author said so. I'd personally like it to make sense from an outside perspective too. To teach newcomers magic, they don't need to be such a dangerous school. I'm not applying my morals here, I'm just not seeing why the deathrate has to be so high when it can easily be prevented as most deaths seem to happen due to negligence on the teachers' part.

I've seen you bring up JJK various times but I don't get why. It's such a different type of show it is hardly comparable. Why are you so hellbent on comparing the two?
JakkoFourEyesAug 6, 2023 3:33 AM
Aug 6, 2023 10:00 AM

Mar 2010
JakkoFourEyes said:
Iron_Maw said:

- I said the majority of students, not specific characters. The colloseum bit for example.
I'm not gonna focus too much time on this but I'm gonna address this point. Nothing conservative students did out of boundaries of humanity. In fact humans in our actual history have went out and done far worse like lynching people for having different color skin, forced the poor and slaves into gladiator matches against each other and animal cheered when they mauled to death. If those students cartoon villains for doing a tamer version of same thing then we humans are actually bona fide bloody soulless monsters. Don't be full of yourself if you think humanity as whole in mob mentally has ever been any better, we plenty of expreince on bullying people for their beliefs and trampling on human rights because entirely withing human norms. Maybe your forgot or haven't read a history book if so I'm implored that your do. Art imitates life is insightful quote for a reason.
Aug 6, 2023 12:25 PM
Jul 2015
Iron_Maw said:
JakkoFourEyes said:

I'm not gonna focus too much time on this but I'm gonna address this point. Nothing conservative students did out of boundaries of humanity. In fact humans in our actual history have went out and done far worse like lynching people for having different color skin, forced the poor and slaves into gladiator matches against each other and animal cheered when they mauled to death. If those students cartoon villains for doing a tamer version of same thing then we humans are actually bona fide bloody soulless monsters. Don't be full of yourself if you think humanity as whole in mob mentally has ever been any better, we plenty of expreince on bullying people for their beliefs and trampling on human rights because entirely withing human norms. Maybe your forgot or haven't read a history book if so I'm implored that your do. Art imitates life is insightful quote for a reason.

You misunderstand me. What made them cartoonishly evil to me was not what they did, but how they behaved while doing it. Cartoonishly evil doesn't necessarily mean that the characters are doing the most atrocious things imaginable.

Also, I'm not full of myself. You don't know me. please don't insult people over a difference of opinion over an anime.
Aug 6, 2023 1:07 PM

Mar 2010
JakkoFourEyes said:
Iron_Maw said:

You misunderstand me. What made them cartoonishly evil to me was not what they did, but how they behaved while doing it. Cartoonishly evil doesn't necessarily mean that the characters are doing the most atrocious things imaginable.

Also, I'm not full of myself. You don't know me. please don't insult people over a difference of opinion over an anime.
Dude your not making any sense. Bullying and mocking someone is not being cartoonishly evil. You're using the phase exaggerated something that was tame without even understand what it means.
Aug 6, 2023 6:10 PM

Mar 2014
Dont bother caring about MAL scores, watch a few episodes and form your own opinion by yourself. I think it's perfectly okay (not a 10/10 awesome "peak fiction bruh", it's nice and that's it), a show who is taking its time to flesh out its world and the personality/relationships among the main 6 cast. The magic here goes beyond deadbeat video-game screens. The average seasonal binge kiddos probably are just angry and impatient that le epical fights dont happen a lot in the first episodes, and the PoV character is not (yet) soloing everything low dif, like most LNs do. And it being clearly based on Harry Potter.

MAL scoring system was never very reliable, as bots manipulate everything, and some people loved to rate 10/10 of everything they like, and give minimal ratings to stuff they disliked for any reason, but since COVID it got much worse.  So, ignore them.
FabrisAug 6, 2023 6:26 PM
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Aug 7, 2023 6:12 AM

Jan 2008
APolygons2 said:
MaouHero said:

Hey man don't shit on my love for trash isekai /s

I gotta admit I am honestly shocked at how low the mean score is considering how high Eminence was. And for the record I would rate this higher han eminence so far at least if I cared about giving ratings anymore.
But I feel like there might be somethign to what you said - a bit of inverse psychology maybe. The isekai this season are alright (and that is only if you like trash isekais like me who has seen and rewatched all of them multiple times and no you do not need to contact a doctor for me, thanks) but in comparison this one is an exceptional show.
And yes, sombody mentioned it before but the demographic is most likely the biggest reason why we look ad the mean score and think "that's so weird man". I got plenty of shows I would say were amazing (like Yuusha yamemasu for instance) but they have middling ratings. I'd say most of my favourites are around the 6-7 average score.

Some introspection can be quite fun in this regard - if I compare my anime tastes from 10 or 20 years ago to today - ohhhh boy.
Aug 7, 2023 9:17 AM

Jul 2015
Necromia said:

that's legit how people in schools become friends though? in highschool and even uni the people i met on the first day we started to hang out for little reason.
so idk seemed normal to me.
Aug 13, 2023 5:58 PM
Jan 2022
One thing that kinda bugs me about any magic school anime/show/book whatever is the inevitable Harry Potter comparison.

It's not like there was anything particularly original about Harry Potter and it certainly wasn't the first British Boarding School for Wizards story. Before Harry Potter we had Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea books. Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series has Unseen University, an university for wizards. The Worst Witch series has Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches and one of the books says that there are thirty wizarding schools in the United Kingdom. 

That's not to mention tons of relatively more obscure books by other British authors.
Aug 14, 2023 3:37 AM
Mar 2018
durask said:
One thing that kinda bugs me about any magic school anime/show/book whatever is the inevitable Harry Potter comparison.

It's not like there was anything particularly original about Harry Potter and it certainly wasn't the first British Boarding School for Wizards story. Before Harry Potter we had Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea books. Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series has Unseen University, an university for wizards. The Worst Witch series has Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches and one of the books says that there are thirty wizarding schools in the United Kingdom. 

That's not to mention tons of relatively more obscure books by other British authors.

the reason this show in particular is compared is cause the author himself compared it to harry potter
Dec 18, 2023 10:24 PM
Mar 2016
Jesus chris. the plot is too slow-pacing. I felt like only 1 episode out of all 15 episode is key canon to the story. The rest is just simply stalling. Only episode 6 caught my attention a lot. The rest is boring.
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

Oct 2014
Seven in now and have to say that this show is a good example of needing to hang around to at least episode 5 or so rather than, say, three. People who watch three and drop for whatever reason are going to be missing out.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

37 by RioAl »»
Jul 8, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.