Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 17, 2023 2:28 PM

Aug 2018
slenderblak said:
sir that's just how novels are, the dialogues are long and detailed because of the lack of visuals, i feel like if you played the steins gate visual novel you wouldnt like it as much as the anime...
Funny you mentioned that because I finished the Steins;Gate VN just a couple days ago. The writing there is a hundred times better than the Re:Zero novels. But the anime did make some concessions for time, smartly cutting out the absolute worst part of the VN: the card game bullshit during Faris's arc.
Jan 17, 2023 2:29 PM
Apr 2020
DJ-Nash0 said:
I just hate Subaru for choosing Emilia over Rem
Yes, years later I’m still salty

His character growth is Ok’ish 😅
He grew some, got that positivity in him and kinda stopped using himself as a sacrifice pawn for others happiness, stopped being selfish

Can’t really hate him for crying too much bc dang he be dying in some painful ways and all around him friends dying too, mental trauma on overdrive

Dude got lower luck that Aqua, it would be me I would have definitely given up and yeeted myself over some skyscrapers multiple times trying to eliminate myself unsuccessfully ofcause daamn Curse😭
man this is a funny read! thanks hard
Jan 17, 2023 2:35 PM
Apr 2020
epidemia78 said:
slenderblak said:
sir that's just how novels are, the dialogues are long and detailed because of the lack of visuals, i feel like if you played the steins gate visual novel you wouldnt like it as much as the anime...
Funny you mentioned that because I finished the Steins;Gate VN just a couple days ago. The writing there is a hundred times better than the Re:Zero novels. But the anime did make some concessions for time, smartly cutting out the absolute worst part of the VN: the card game bullshit during Faris's arc.
steins gate is better than rezero i agree with that and i loved the card games stuff in the vn but that's just me, but you cant really say rezero's writing is bad out of a couple pages of arc4... its best to start reading from the first to reach the other arcs, and maybe you read a bad translation that has made dialogues seem dull but all in all reading a novel is great patience, give it more chances starting from the first volumes and i recommend to try reaching arc 6
Jan 17, 2023 2:40 PM
Jan 2021
slenderblak said:
DJ-Nash0 said:
I just hate Subaru for choosing Emilia over Rem
Yes, years later I’m still salty

His character growth is Ok’ish 😅
He grew some, got that positivity in him and kinda stopped using himself as a sacrifice pawn for others happiness, stopped being selfish

Can’t really hate him for crying too much bc dang he be dying in some painful ways and all around him friends dying too, mental trauma on overdrive

Dude got lower luck that Aqua, it would be me I would have definitely given up and yeeted myself over some skyscrapers multiple times trying to eliminate myself unsuccessfully ofcause daamn Curse😭
man this is a funny read! thanks hard

🎉Mission is a success🎉

ahem ooh Stop it, You flatter me!

Don’t mind me just fishing for compliments 🤝
Jan 17, 2023 2:54 PM
Nov 2022
You don’t have to worry about people not understanding this anime, it has a solid middle 8 rating on mal. The reality is, less people watch 10 episodes of a tutorial then people do with 1 tutorial. You only really appreciate the series like that with it’s deepth. But if you look aside from that, it’s hated because “isekai” but any reasonable person will realize that it’s one of the most fun experiences out there from it’s first season.
Jan 17, 2023 2:58 PM
Nov 2022
Perfectrockstar said:
It’s a phenomenal anime and it used to be one of my favorites BUT after going back to it and giving both season 1 and 2 a rewatch it’s evidently clear that ReZero is indeed a 9/10 instead

I absolutely agree, for me it’s also a 9/10
Jan 17, 2023 3:19 PM

Jan 2021
Subaru is the only good character of the series, I get the hate on him, he isn't as perfect as other isekai MCs who are OP from day 1, so people can't feel as good self-inserting in him. But the other characters are lame to obnoxious and the series gets dumber every time.
Jan 17, 2023 3:47 PM

Jul 2021
There is not much to understand about this show.
Subaru's issue isn't that he is weak by fantasy standards, but that he is weak by IRL standards.
He doesn't actually get character development, he is straight back to useless as soon as the checkpoint hits.
And lol, I have watched 40+ episodes of this anime, and Emilia got 0 character development.
Jan 17, 2023 3:56 PM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
Oremonogatari said:

Usually, the novel will solve the issue of personality, and almost anything lacking depth such as the final battle.

I read some of the novel back when it was unclear if we were even going to get a second season. Sanctuary arc was about 4 times longer than it needed to be, filled with bloated writing that just goes in circles. I dropped it somewhere in the next arc which seemed like it was leaning even more heavily into the battle shounen tropes.

What made season 1 so good is that the anime cut out all of the amateurish writing and compressed 3 story arcs into one seamless narrative. S2, not so much. It's too faithful to the source material forgetting that anime is a visual medium. There might be some good ideas in there but its all so padded with filler just to stretch out those good ideas across as many books as possible.

Here is my very unpopular opinion: Season 1 was too slow already.
The time loop formula inherently means that most of the on screen events are just throwaway scenes.
It didn't take long to figure out that the only parts worth paying attention for are the ones after the obnoxious crying episode.
Anything that happens between the checkpoint resolution and the "big emotional moment" of the arc doesn't matter.
And that's not even battle shounen filler, that's the core plot, and it still doesn't matter.
Jan 17, 2023 4:20 PM

Aug 2018
JaniSIr said:
The time loop formula inherently means that most of the on screen events are just throwaway scenes.
It didn't take long to figure out that the only parts worth paying attention for are the ones after the obnoxious crying episode.
Anything that happens between the checkpoint resolution and the "big emotional moment" of the arc doesn't matter.
And that's not even battle shounen filler, that's the core plot, and it still doesn't matter.

hmm. the most throwaway scene had nothing to do with time loops: the love story of the butler dude and his wife. Little did I realize it was foreshadowing S2 which uses almost its entire runtime on even more boring backstories and love interests for each and every character.

season 1: I liked watching Subaru try to figure out ways to avert disaster and proceed to the next checkpoint even if his solutions didn't always make a lot of sense. And it also adds a tragic element seeing him make progress with relationships only to have it all reset. Not to mention a certain satisfaction seeing a loser like him turn skeptics into believers. Classic underdog stuff.
Jan 17, 2023 4:31 PM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
JaniSIr said:

hmm. the most throwaway scene had nothing to do with time loops: the love story of the butler dude and his wife. Little did I realize it was foreshadowing S2 which uses almost its entire runtime on even more boring backstories and love interests for each and every character.

season 1: I liked watching Subaru try to figure out ways to avert disaster and proceed to the next checkpoint even if his solutions didn't always make a lot of sense. And it also adds a tragic element seeing him make progress with relationships only to have it all reset. Not to mention a certain satisfaction seeing loser like him turn skeptics into believers. Classic underdog stuff.

That's fair, though after watching Monster I have to say that a decent inconsequential side plot is better than a very bad main plot that doesn't really progresses ever.

I liked that too. Once. And then the second arc did that too. Then the third... And the fourth.
The anime is a time loop within a time loop.
I just hope I'm not in a time loop where I rewatch that show.
Jan 17, 2023 4:47 PM
Jan 2023
Re:Zero the Novel was Masterpieces, yes. But the Re:Zero the Anime was only just pretty ok right after episode7 on season1... Compared to the novel, season2 was pretty bad representation of the original novel, to be honest.
Jan 17, 2023 5:38 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yeah I understand that Subaru is annoying and loud and S2 is so mid, too bad as S1 was very good.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 17, 2023 5:59 PM

Aug 2020
I don't think the writing is that impressive, but as far as Isekais go it's pretty good.
Jan 17, 2023 6:08 PM
Nov 2021
slenderblak said:
the its truly a masterpiece, the writting is brillant and the characters are all great on their own

what i wanted to adress in this thread is the huge amount of criticism i have seen in rezero and i will tackle one of them

"the subaru hate"

there's many people calling subaru a weak character by the reason of him being vulnerable and physically useless in a fantastical yet dark world he lives in, many people likes a character for being the sole star of the show which isnt a bad thing but criticizing his character to be bland or annoying pretty much doesnt understand what it means, he is supposed to be a normal human much like us, struggling to find himself in the real world, his ability to die repeatedly is an indicator that no matter what it takes he has no right to fail or be as a failure he considered himself to be in the real world, his positive vibes comes from the fact that in a way it serves as both a good message for the watcher or reader and at the same time a great cope mechanism for him, to continue advance and search for a new life in a world he doesnt belong to, the amount of trauma he goes around the various death he faces is a reaction that is, yet exaggerated but humanly impossible to recover from such but yet he comes around it and moves along the way to face more of what this world throws in his face.

his growth was generally great too, getting to know the different people in that world and learn it has made him have friends he care about and protect, generally his twisted mentality also gets worse and more in the "craze" the more arcs we learn and at the same time, it is brilliant, if anyone want to try having a more detailed experience with rezero i recommend reading the novel!

there's many other hate that i havent covered such as waifu bait, but i can simply tell that just because a story has beautiful girls doesnt mean its bad, they all has their own emotion and growth, both emilia and rem and even ram and beatrice...

beside, i believe it is a really brillant show surrounded by many bad claims towards it.

Huge facts, ReZero is a masterpiece through and through. I don’t want to sound like one of those pretentious nerds but if someone thinks the show is genuinely bad, they completely didn’t understand the show.
Jan 17, 2023 6:34 PM

Jul 2016
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion.
d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

819 by tr25a3 »»
Jun 23, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2016

699 by MrList »»
Jun 23, 11:45 AM

» Why wasn't Emilia surprised that Subaru knows Puck's name

EstebanOD - Jan 12, 2022

12 by Vitali_Osandor »»
Jun 22, 3:16 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

529 by commonhoodlum46 »»
Jun 21, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

511 by commonhoodlum46 »»
Jun 18, 11:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.