Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 17, 2023 12:37 PM
Apr 2020
the its truly a masterpiece, the writting is brillant and the characters are all great on their own

what i wanted to adress in this thread is the huge amount of criticism i have seen in rezero and i will tackle one of them

"the subaru hate"

there's many people calling subaru a weak character by the reason of him being vulnerable and physically useless in a fantastical yet dark world he lives in, many people likes a character for being the sole star of the show which isnt a bad thing but criticizing his character to be bland or annoying pretty much doesnt understand what it means, he is supposed to be a normal human much like us, struggling to find himself in the real world, his ability to die repeatedly is an indicator that no matter what it takes he has no right to fail or be as a failure he considered himself to be in the real world, his positive vibes comes from the fact that in a way it serves as both a good message for the watcher or reader and at the same time a great cope mechanism for him, to continue advance and search for a new life in a world he doesnt belong to, the amount of trauma he goes around the various death he faces is a reaction that is, yet exaggerated but humanly impossible to recover from such but yet he comes around it and moves along the way to face more of what this world throws in his face.

his growth was generally great too, getting to know the different people in that world and learn it has made him have friends he care about and protect, generally his twisted mentality also gets worse and more in the "craze" the more arcs we learn and at the same time, it is brilliant, if anyone want to try having a more detailed experience with rezero i recommend reading the novel!

there's many other hate that i havent covered such as waifu bait, but i can simply tell that just because a story has beautiful girls doesnt mean its bad, they all has their own emotion and growth, both emilia and rem and even ram and beatrice...

beside, i believe it is a really brillant show surrounded by many bad claims towards it.
slenderblakJan 17, 2023 2:03 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 2023 12:47 PM
Jun 2020
Yeah I agree. But I guess most people just see it as waifu bait.
Jan 17, 2023 1:01 PM
Feb 2022
it's a great anime
but not a masterpiece
Jan 17, 2023 1:02 PM

Jun 2021
If it takes longer than 5 more comments for an argument to start I'll be deeply impressed. Re:zero novels are a masterpiece though
Jan 17, 2023 1:06 PM
Apr 2020
mohamedo_abuduru said:
If it takes longer than 5 more comments for an argument to start I'll be deeply impressed. Re:zero novels are a masterpiece though
im not even baiting and i agree with you

Mod edit: removed deleted quote
ZedlinJan 17, 2023 6:38 PM
Jan 17, 2023 1:06 PM
Oct 2021
slenderblak said:
its truly a masterpiece, the writting is brillant and the characters are all great on their own

Yep, most definitely agreeing on this one
Jan 17, 2023 1:07 PM
Apr 2020
Adam_Boi said:
Yeah I agree. But I guess most people just see it as waifu bait.
yep the average anime watchers are like that sadly
Jan 17, 2023 1:11 PM
Feb 2022
I'm just gonna say it
in my eyes, mushoku tensei is masterpiece
Jan 17, 2023 1:11 PM
Jun 2020
There is problems with characters development. Subaru is one h&ll of a cringe character for most of season 1. I know people that dislike Re:Zero because they can't stand him.

Also it takes too much time to develop the FMC, and worst, they focus on develop a side character in a way the FMC looks like the side character and they literally need to make the real side character disappear in other to develop other characters, like the real FMC.
Jan 17, 2023 1:14 PM
Apr 2020
Imdyinside said:
I'm just gonna say it
in my eyes, mushoku tensei is masterpiece
 yessir more positive energy
Jan 17, 2023 1:17 PM
Nov 2022
I understand i think it's nice
Jan 17, 2023 1:18 PM
Apr 2020
Polvo_Aranha said:
There is problems with characters development. Subaru is one h&ll of a cringe character for most of season 1. I know people that dislike Re:Zero because they can't stand him.

Also it takes too much time to develop the FMC, and worst, they focus on develop a side character in a way the FMC looks like the side character and they literally need to make the real side character disappear in other to develop other characters, like the real FMC.
there is no problem with character development we seen the development of many characters during the story with their own personality and quality, and i think you mean character growth, and rezero has plenty of that, just because rem is on a coma was a set up for more characters and development and world building, doesnt mean she disappeared in any way
Jan 17, 2023 1:20 PM
Jun 2020
The fact the author needed some character disappear shows there is a problem that they fixed by making this character disappear.
Jan 17, 2023 1:21 PM
Apr 2020
Polvo_Aranha said:
The fact the author needed some character disappear shows there is a problem that they fixed by making this character disappear.
no that's called setting up.......
Jan 17, 2023 1:21 PM
Jul 2022
its a ok anime....More of a waifu based anime
Jan 17, 2023 1:22 PM
Apr 2020
Rumit256 said:
hell nah its not at all, even fate is way more waifu based
Jan 17, 2023 1:23 PM
Jun 2020
slenderblak said:
Polvo_Aranha said:

Setting up this problem out of this piece 😁
Jan 17, 2023 1:23 PM
Jul 2022
slenderblak said:
Rumit256 said:
hell nah its not at all, even fate is way more waifu based

I haven tried fate series so I dont know about it
Jan 17, 2023 1:24 PM
Apr 2020
Polvo_Aranha said:
slenderblak said:

how is it a problem ? blind hate i smell
Jan 17, 2023 1:26 PM
Jun 2020
slenderblak said:
Polvo_Aranha said:

There is someone blind here. I'm a Rem fan, but I do recognize her popularity became a problem and the author 's fault in it.
Jan 17, 2023 1:26 PM
Jun 2020
slenderblak said:
Polvo_Aranha said:

There is someone blind here. I'm a Rem fan, but I do recognize her popularity became a problem and the author 's fault in it.
Jan 17, 2023 1:28 PM
Apr 2020
Polvo_Aranha said:
slenderblak said:

lol nice one man, but maybe you're right
Jan 17, 2023 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
I remember dropping this anime because “isekai washed”, but came back to it later and finding out the plot was actually pretty damn good
Jan 17, 2023 1:31 PM
Jan 2021
Polvo_Aranha said:

Makes the female MC look like the side character? Do you mean giving a female side character more time? Also, you say side character in an attempt to understate her importance, compared to the main female character, but Rem is arguably the most vital component in regards to Subaru’s character. Without Rem, there is no “good Subaru”. Also, it was made abundantly clear that Rem was not the female MC; isn’t the whole meme “I love Emilia”?. Your critiques are not valid because they are very black and white, without much insight. Re:zero isn’t really the kind of binary story you seem to use as your basis for criticisms.

TL;DR: ur wrong and im correct
Jan 17, 2023 1:34 PM
Apr 2020
Lelouch11783 said:
I remember dropping this anime because “isekai washed”, but came back to it later and finding out the plot was actually pretty damn good
i remember hating on the genre too lol, i guess there's good in it too when we find gold, konosuba is pretty damn good too
Jan 17, 2023 1:35 PM
Jun 2020
Oremonogatari said:
Polvo_Aranha said:

Makes the female MC look like the side character? Do you mean giving a side character more time? Also, you say side character in an attempt to understate her importance, compared to the main female character, but Rem is arguably the most vital component in regards to Subaru’s character. Without Rem, there is no “good Subaru”. Also, it was made abundantly clear that Rem was not the female MC; isn’t the whole meme “I love Emilia”?. Your critiques are not valid because they are very black and white, without much insight. Re:zero isn’t really the kind of binary story you seem to use as your basis for criticisms.

So is it okay side characters getting more screentime than the main character, to the point the main character just disappear for almost half of the season?

Yeah, you are right, it's totally normal a main character being a side character in its own story.
Jan 17, 2023 1:40 PM
Jan 2021
Polvo_Aranha said:
Oremonogatari said:

Makes the female MC look like the side character? Do you mean giving a side character more time? Also, you say side character in an attempt to understate her importance, compared to the main female character, but Rem is arguably the most vital component in regards to Subaru’s character. Without Rem, there is no “good Subaru”. Also, it was made abundantly clear that Rem was not the female MC; isn’t the whole meme “I love Emilia”?. Your critiques are not valid because they are very black and white, without much insight. Re:zero isn’t really the kind of binary story you seem to use as your basis for criticisms.

So is it okay side characters getting more screentime than the main character, to the point the main character just disappear for almost half of the season?

Yeah, you are right, it's totally normal a main character being a side character in its own story.

Yes, its normal for a main character to not get the majority of the screen time for a single arc in a story as long as Re:zero. And once again, like I said, you’re trying to force Rem into the simple role of a side character. When you do this, it seems crazy for her to get more screentime than Emilia, but she is not your simple side character. But didn’t I explain this already?
Jan 17, 2023 1:44 PM
Jun 2020
Oremonogatari said:
Polvo_Aranha said:

Yes, its normal for a main character to not get the majority of the screen time for a single arc in a story as long as Re:zero. And once again, like I said, you’re trying to force Rem into the simple role of a side character. When you do this, it seems crazy for her to get more screentime than Emilia, but she is not your simple side character. But didn’t I explain this already?

So why is she credited as "supporting character" in MAL?
Jan 17, 2023 1:46 PM

Aug 2018
if season 2 wasn't such a mess I might be inclined to agree with you that re:zero is a "masterpiece" or at least close to being one.
Jan 17, 2023 1:49 PM
Apr 2020
epidemia78 said:
if season 2 wasn't such a mess I might be inclined to agree with you that re:zero is a "masterpiece" or at least close to being one.
i dont agree about that, i felt arc4 or season 2 were way better than the last season/arc
Jan 17, 2023 1:49 PM

Oct 2021
Wth is this thread? You don't even bother to explain why "people dont understand this anime" and then proceed to give a reason of why you think this is good? In such a surface level.

Bruh.
Jan 17, 2023 1:50 PM
Jan 2021
Polvo_Aranha said:
Oremonogatari said:

So why is she credited as "supporting character" in MAL?

Well, setting aside if MAL is to be taken all that seriously, are you seriously not understanding that supporting characters can be of varying importance? There are many characters with the title of supporting character, but undoubtedly contribute less to their stories than others. My point, like I will say for the 3rd time, is that she is one of the more important side characters; particularly in regards to Subaru’s character.
Jan 17, 2023 1:52 PM
Jun 2020
Also Re:Zero Wikia...
Jan 17, 2023 1:52 PM
Jan 2021
epidemia78 said:

I find that S2 is way better when you rewatch it. Since you know some things already, it makes some dialogue that otherwise would seem convoluted and confusing make sense. It’s easy to see why someone wouldn’t like it though.
Jan 17, 2023 1:53 PM
Jan 2021
Polvo_Aranha said:

I never once refuted that she was a side character dude. I think you aren’t even reading what I’m saying, so I should probably stop humouring you.
Jan 17, 2023 1:55 PM
Jun 2020
Oremonogatari said:
Polvo_Aranha said:

I never once refuted that she was a side character dude. I think you aren’t even reading what I’m saying, so I should probably stop humouring you.

You are just questioning the fact supporting character aren't supposed to be more important than main characters 😂
Jan 17, 2023 1:58 PM

Aug 2018
slenderblak said:
epidemia78 said:
i dont agree about that, i felt arc4 or season 2 were way better than the last season/arc

s1 had suspense/thriller elements, much in the vein of Steins;Gate.

s2 replaced the thriller with generic battle shounen elements. Too many characters; all of them annoying with obnoxious quirks in place of actual personalities. Too many "tragic" (sappy) backstory episodes and a rushed final battle that was over in like, five minutes.
Jan 17, 2023 1:59 PM
Jan 2021
I wonder why people like you are so difficult to convince, even when everything you’ve tried to use as a rebuttal, I’ve already addressed? “In a story as long as Rezero”, “more important than a simple side character”. If you still don’t get it, it’s fine at this point.
Jan 17, 2023 2:04 PM
Jan 2021
epidemia78 said:
slenderblak said:

s2 replaced the thriller with generic battle shounen elements. Too many characters; all of them annoying with obnoxious quirks in place of actual personalities. Too many "tragic" (sappy) backstory episodes and a rushed final battle that was over in like, five minutes.

Usually, the novel will solve the issue of personality, and almost anything lacking depth such as the final battle.
Jan 17, 2023 2:12 PM

Aug 2018
Oremonogatari said:
epidemia78 said:

Usually, the novel will solve the issue of personality, and almost anything lacking depth such as the final battle.

I read some of the novel back when it was unclear if we were even going to get a second season. Sanctuary arc was about 4 times longer than it needed to be, filled with bloated writing that just goes in circles. I dropped it somewhere in the next arc which seemed like it was leaning even more heavily into the battle shounen tropes.

What made season 1 so good is that the anime cut out all of the amateurish writing and compressed 3 story arcs into one seamless narrative. S2, not so much. It's too faithful to the source material forgetting that anime is a visual medium. There might be some good ideas in there but its all so padded with filler just to stretch out those good ideas across as many books as possible.
Jan 17, 2023 2:14 PM
Feb 2019
It’s a phenomenal anime and it used to be one of my favorites BUT after going back to it and giving both season 1 and 2 a rewatch it’s evidently clear that ReZero is indeed a 9/10 instead
Jan 17, 2023 2:14 PM
Apr 2020
epidemia78 said:
slenderblak said:

it is anything but a generic battle shonen and the tragic backstory is a way to add more development in a character, not the other way around, and as much as i love steins gate, even if s2 does have the element of suspense, it is done in a different way in which it replies to many questions we asked toward the show from s1, and no the final battle wasnt rushed, it was a whole part fit into it and was sastisfying and took a hard turn to finally win it, the lack of a strong ally and subaru focusing on gaining garf's trust was a great part in character growth and i believe it is way better done than it was in s1, arc 4 was brilliant in many ways and is considered by many as the best or second best arc of the whole story
Jan 17, 2023 2:16 PM
Apr 2020
Perfectrockstar said:
It’s a phenomenal anime and it used to be one of my favorites BUT after going back to it and giving both season 1 and 2 a rewatch it’s evidently clear that ReZero is indeed a 9/10 instead
i rated it 9 too lol, still a great watch!
Jan 17, 2023 2:17 PM
Jan 2021
epidemia78 said:
Oremonogatari said:

I read some of the novel back when it was unclear if we were even going to get a second season. Sanctuary arc was about 4 times longer than it needed to be, filled with bloated writing that just goes in circles. I dropped it somewhere in the next arc which seemed like it was leaning even more heavily into the battle shounen tropes.

What made season 1 so good is that the anime cut out all of the amateurish writing and compressed 3 story arcs into one seamless narrative. S2, not so much. It's too faithful to the source material forgetting that anime is a visual medium. There might be some good ideas in there but its all so padded with filler just to stretch out those good ideas across as many books as possible.

Fair enough. Ultimately, it just comes down to if it suits your tastes or not. People who were interested were thrilled by the many different ideas, but if not, you would just feel like the story was bloated, as you do. Its a common issue with many stories.
Jan 17, 2023 2:18 PM

Aug 2018
slenderblak said:
it is anything but a generic battle shonen and the tragic backstory is a way to add more development in a character, not the other way around, and as much as i love steins gate, even if s2 does have the element of suspense, it is done in a different way in which it replies to many questions we asked toward the show from s1, and no the final battle wasnt rushed, it was a whole part fit into it and was sastisfying and took a hard turn to finally win it, the lack of a strong ally and subaru focusing on gaining garf's trust was a great part in character growth and i believe it is way better done than it was in s1, arc 4 was brilliant in many ways and is considered by many as the best or second best arc of the whole story
blah blah blah. this is like re:zero dialog. Sorry but season 2 ruined a good show and nobody can convince me otherwise.
Jan 17, 2023 2:18 PM
Apr 2020
epidemia78 said:
Oremonogatari said:

i dont get it, if you wanted more depth then why are you complaining for the novel to be extremely long ? and isnt going in circles what the series is known for ?
Jan 17, 2023 2:20 PM

Aug 2018
slenderblak said:
i dont get it, if you wanted more depth then why are you complaining for the novel to be extremely long ? and isnt going in circles what the series is known for ?
the novel's length is due to poorly written dialog that stretches pages and pages saying the same things over and over again. Not because it's "deep".
Jan 17, 2023 2:20 PM
Apr 2020
epidemia78 said:
slenderblak said:
blah blah blah. this is like re:zero dialog. Sorry but season 2 ruined a good show and nobody can convince me otherwise.
sir this isnt a great behavior, i gave my arguments saying why s2 is better and you brushed me off like that.
Jan 17, 2023 2:23 PM
Apr 2020
epidemia78 said:
slenderblak said:
the novel's length is due to poorly written dialog that stretches pages and pages saying the same things over and over again. Not because it's "deep".

sir that's just how novels are, the dialogues are long and detailed because of the lack of visuals, i feel like if you played the steins gate visual novel you wouldnt like it as much as the anime...
Jan 17, 2023 2:24 PM
Jan 2021
I just hate Subaru for choosing Emilia over Rem
Yes, years later I’m still salty

His character growth is Ok’ish 😅
He grew some, got that positivity in him and kinda stopped using himself as a sacrifice pawn for others happiness, stopped being selfish

Can’t really hate him for crying too much bc dang he be dying in some painful ways and all around him friends dying too, mental trauma on overdrive

Dude got lower luck that Aqua, it would be me I would have definitely given up and yeeted myself over some skyscrapers multiple times trying to eliminate myself unsuccessfully ofcause daamn Curse😭
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2016

1830 by AnimatedAddict »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2016

1594 by AnimatedAddict »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

1171 by AnimatedAddict »»
Yesterday, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2073 by AnimatedAddict »»
Yesterday, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2016

933 by AnimatedAddict »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.