Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (29) « First ... « 26 27 [28] 29 »
Jul 19, 2017 1:18 PM
Sep 2016
Good anime with very predictable plot and annoying characters xD. I still kinda like it.
6/10
i_want_to_escapeJul 19, 2017 1:21 PM
Jan 23, 2018 12:33 PM
Jun 2015
Good ending! It's nice that everything was resolved and all ends tied.
Feb 12, 2018 3:24 PM

Nov 2017
The final episodes was soo epic! But I'm a little dissapointed, because for me there were too little episodes in world Sword Art Online. And ALO wasn't that good, but ending battle was very interesting. That bastard, Oberon, was scary, I couldn't stand scenes with him. Thanks Akihiko for help :D

And I've never imagined that I will like SAO that much! At first, after few episodes I didn't liked that anime and I dropped it, but from time to time my head was remainded me Kirito and he was the only thing that kept me from definitive forgetting. I am so grateful for that. Thank you, Kirito-kun, for this awesome adventure.
Apr 29, 2018 10:05 PM

Oct 2016
Wow! What a wonderful ending, to say the least. It ended perfectly and everyone got to play MMOs together in the end. =)
Can't believe it's been six years since SAO came out. It was an enjoyable experience to re watch this series! It has been nothing but fun and I look forward to watching SAO II. Whatever people say is probably half bullshit about this series. It's truly not that bad of a show.
May 6, 2018 9:22 PM

Sep 2017
Lamest end. 1/10.

Bet he was moaning when he thought of Asuna being violated.

Only thing I am thankful for is that I finally completed this bullshit series.

But seriously, they had such good animation, and they wasted it on such a bad plot.

I think this matches SAO's first opening anyway.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 18, 2018 1:59 PM

Mar 2018
Don't they get it? After two serious incidents with virtual MMO games, one leading in the deaths of thousands, other almodd ruining hundreds of people's lives, they still fantasize over them and want it to be revived? And the main vilian who started this shit on the end is portrayed as some great hero who gave people the privilege to create their own world?

A COMPLETE MESS. 2/10
May 22, 2018 11:28 PM

May 2018
rak-nid said:
Don't they get it? After two serious incidents with virtual MMO games, one leading in the deaths of thousands, other almodd ruining hundreds of people's lives, they still fantasize over them and want it to be revived? And the main vilian who started this shit on the end is portrayed as some great hero who gave people the privilege to create their own world?

A COMPLETE MESS. 2/10

I can't figure out if they writters are lazy, stupid or simply childrens.

I've heard season 2 was better. I think i'm gonna give this anime a last chance, i'll see what happens..
SyniruhMay 22, 2018 11:33 PM
Sep 12, 2018 10:18 AM

Jun 2012
For as many times as I've rewatched Sword Art Online, this anime has never fallen below a grade of C (numerical ratings are skewed and letter grades have useful ubiquitous meaning). Reki Kawahara wants to make science fantasy regardless of whether he knows how unfit a science fiction setting is for what he wants to do

Characters are a different story. At times, what he pens in for them are things he thinks the audience will like. Those one-and-done female characters in Aincrad who fall in love with Kirito in a short time frame. It plays into the harem aspect. Or a particular scene where Kirito just wants to spend the night with Asuna, and Asuna thinks he wants to sleep with her, and comedic cringe ensues. At other times, Kawahara is telling the story he wants to tell and the difference in passion is usually clear. Genuinely hot moments between Kirito and Asuna that play on intimacy and not gratuity, moments of calm with the locals where they're completely at peace. Perhaps the development leading to this romance isn't his strong point. The care he puts into the romance itself, is

Kirito has hax moments. Hacking the terminal to preserve Yui when this capability lacks set-up. Willing himself against death in the 2nd fight with Heathcliff. Being bailed out against Sugou by Kayaba. That's not the same as being overpowered, nor is he actually overpowered

It's important to examine his boss fights
1--Illfang the Kobold Lord: the raid itself was doing most of the work. Kirito and Asuna stepped in when its HP was low, and Kirito simply finished it off
2--Nicholas the Renegade: Kirito is implied to have solo'd the boss. A Floor 35 event boss. Kirito had long passed this floor
3--The Gleam Eyes: the only boss Kirito solos. Even then, he needed Klein and Asuna to buy him time. This is the only "at parity" fight we see him carrying everyone else
4--The Fatal Scythe: Yui had to bail out him and Asuna
5--The Skull Reaper: Kirito did not solo this fight. Everyone was putting in work
6--Guardian Knights: Kirito did not solo this fight either. It's likely he was carrying the battle more than he was vs The Skull Reaper, though

his other fights to examine
1--X'rphan the White Wyrm: he didn't kill this thing. He picked up its Rare Drop and then left
2--Titan's Hand: he didn't need to dodge their attacks. Games with outright leveling systems are unfair that way
3--Heathcliff: a little stronger than Heathcliff when both are at full strength. Kirito is in an exhausted state in their 2nd fight, and lost. Tied at best
4--Salamanders: Kirito's only egregious fight in SAO (or ALO in this case). The save import data would not suffice to explain his proficiency in illusion magic
5--Eugene: Kirito needed to borrow one more weapon to win this. On a side note, starting here and going forward into SAO II and Ordinal Scale, dual-wielding has turned into a power-up for Kirito, not his default state
6--King Oberon: Kayaba bailed him out of this

Kirito is strong but far from being able to do everything. His story arc in Aincrad is about avoiding other players to avoid the guilt of being unable to protect them. As time goes on, his mood gradually lightens as he learns to open up and trust in others as they come to trust in him. Any time he flaunts his power, it's a ruse. In any moment of honesty with people he's comfortable with, he makes it a point to stress he has no real power. He doesn't. He doubts and curses himself, but grows into the hero because he has to be, and it's that desperation that informs his compassion as he expresses his misgivings over killing even NPCs

Then the story reaches ALO. Kirito has a clear goal: save Asuna. Unfortunately, Kawahara is more focused on developing Leafa/Suguha's feelings for Kirito/Kazuto. Kawahara is sensible in how he approaches this, adequately reflecting the tug of war between Suguha's feelings as family and Leafa's feelings as a romantic interest. The scene where Kirito and Leafa learn who's behind the other character is visceral. The culmination of Suguha's jealousy, longing, resignation, happiness, hesitation, frustration, and honesty all coming through. The way the scene is shot being so untheatrical

Meanwhile, Asuna in ALO has become a damsel in distress. This in itself wouldn't be a problem had the framing around her circumstances changed. The way it's presented, Sugou treats Asuna as his main goal while his plan to change people's memories through VR technology and experiments on the last SAO players who had not been logged out, becomes a secondary goal. The importance of these motivations need to be flipped and Asuna's importance to Sugou greatly reduced; Asuna becomes a "bonus" to accompany Sugou's bigger plans, Kirito is made to look smaller when his driving force is tertiary to the villain, and accompanying Sugou's bigger plans would be his obsession with surpassing Kayaba, and in turn creating the preamble for Kayaba to help Kirito at the end

Kawahara is confused on writing his villain and clear on wanting to tell this story for Suguha. Kirito gets lost in the shuffle. He helped Leafa with the Salamander problem because even in this moment of urgency, he is not someone who can let his friends die, death game or not. The compassion informed by his years in Aincrad won't let him do that with a clean conscious. When Kirito is "in-mode" for saving Asuna and then has his focus broken, all too often, by comparatively trivial nuisances, it is NOT a good look for him. It causes Asuna to oscillate into a secondary goal for Kirito. It calls into question how much he really cares for her. The sad part is, he clearly does. They're the most important people in each other's lives, which is why it's nauseating that Kawahara messed up Kirito this much

ALO is not flawed because Asuna is a damsel in distress. ALO is egregious because IT DIDN'T UNDERSTAND KIRITO. Kawahara. Didn't get. Kirito. HIS OWN CHARACTER. WHAT THE ACTUAL F--

I don't hate ALO as much as I used to. It's a compelling Suguha story trapped inside a confused Kirito story trapped inside whatever drugs Sugou is taking. Aincrad is a solid story arc though. What it wants to do shines through what it thinks audiences want, but ALO is being carried by Suguha if there ever was a secondary character to take that role
Oct 1, 2018 1:58 PM
Sep 2018
Loved the ending! Really concluded the whole series.
Oct 5, 2018 7:03 AM

May 2016
Excellent show i really liked it.
Oct 20, 2018 11:26 AM
Aug 2018
It was an excellent anime. I liked it but because of a ALO's weakness it's rating decreaseed rapidly. The first half of Sao was great but it also had its negative points. I did not like the villain in the second part and some of the Harem shit .
I would give the first half a 9/10 but
The second half a 7/10 so
Overall 8/10 .
But it's to notice that the plot is great. I mean the idea of getting stuck into a game and other stuff was just great. I think they could than extended the first half a lot and I wanted them to do so . In that way It would have been a even more fantastic show.
Apr 26, 2019 8:49 AM

Aug 2018
Wait, what? Asuna’s gone and now he’s going after his sister? That makes absolutely no sense.
Jun 11, 2019 1:23 PM
Jun 2019
I hope there's no dlc xD
Jul 8, 2019 7:51 PM
May 2019
gotta be one of the worst animes ever made
Jul 21, 2019 1:59 AM

Aug 2017
And....it's over....

I read most of criticisms and I can say they don't like romance or never had a girlfriend. One of the most unfairly hated anime i've ever seen. 7/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 23, 2019 4:06 AM
Aug 2019
Sigh, it's...fine. Nothing spectacular or memorable, but the season overall was mediocre. Had some Twilight vibes to it...which is never a good thing, otherwise it was okayish; 6/10.
Sep 23, 2019 4:10 AM
Aug 2019
Wairuhhh said:
I hope there's no dlc xD

Ha, good one! I really needed to have a good laugh after today.
Feb 11, 2020 3:01 PM

Sep 2017
I only really watched this because I wanted a refresher before I started the rest of SAO, but it also helped to make sure the score I gave it was accurate. And... It was. Mostly. This was about as "eh" as I remember it being. It absolutely isn't as bad as the majority of people would leave you to believe and in that regard I would even say it is underrated, but in terms of pacing, character development, and storytelling, all I see is a lot of disappointment and even more wasted potential. I'll bump up the character section from a 5/10 to a 6/10, because this didn't have characters as bad as Fairy Gone. So the score actually goes up, good for you SAO. 7/10.

Jun 16, 2020 12:32 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That's it? I mean wai, this was really it?
I don't know what I was expecting, but after I finally gave the famed SAO a go, the ending was a bit underwhelming. However, I gotta give some credit, I still don't see what was bad about this Anime, for all the hate it gets, maybe back in the day, when good Anime was the norm it didn't match up for the quality, but I gotta say, compared to trash like cheat magician or smartphone Isekai, this is high tier. Looking forward to seeing the later seasons.

I was facepalming during the dance part until I realized they were living up to the “Fairy Dance” title.
EoussamaJun 16, 2020 12:37 AM
Jun 30, 2020 12:36 AM
Nov 2019
SAO is definitely a pretty OK anime not a good anime (my opinion) but i don't think SAO deserve the title: third most popular anime ever. I think the third place deserve hxh or tokyo ghoul one of these two perfect animes
Jun 30, 2020 12:38 AM
Nov 2019
I would give a overall of 3.99/5
Jun 30, 2020 1:55 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Obitosamaalb said:
SAO is definitely a pretty OK anime not a good anime (my opinion) but i don't think SAO deserve the title: third most popular anime ever. I think the third place deserve hxh or tokyo ghoul one of these two perfect animes

Popular, doesn't mean best my dude, SAO is more popular than hxh and TG because more people have seen it.
Aug 3, 2020 9:18 PM
Sep 2018
Enjoy your permanent vacation behind bars, Nobuyuki Sugo, you ugly son of a bitch.
First they came for the EreMika shippers, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not an EreMika shipper.

Then they came for the Gabi fans, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Gabi fan.

Then they came for those who loved AOT's ending, and I did not speak out—
    Because I didn't care about AOT's ending.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
Aug 19, 2020 8:33 AM

Apr 2014
Kirito has too many open fronts.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Aug 20, 2020 4:26 AM

Sep 2019
What did Kirito said before the episode finished?
The part that was muted.
Oct 6, 2020 10:52 AM

Dec 2018
SAO is the worst wasted potential of all time. All the amazing potential it had at the beginning never followed up on ever.

It is also now the worst anime I have ever seen. 3/10.
Oct 15, 2020 11:53 PM
Dec 2019
Now i understandes why so much people hates kirito, im one of these people right now. After this ep, i wanted to kill kirito and the mf that he let live. I haven't seen a mc this trash in a time. God bless tatsuya (mahouka)
Oct 29, 2020 5:33 AM

Mar 2018
Last episode was good so finally kirito saves asuna.and meet all sao player's in real life that was cool hope s2 is more cooler than this,
Nov 17, 2020 1:22 AM
Oct 2020
I'll save most of what I want to say for my review, but I just wanted to point out that this anime had such amazing potential. The idea of a death game was really freaking cool. They should have stuck with that instead of making ALO. They let Asuna go from badass to damsel in distress. The fanservice ruined a lot of enjoyment for this show between the incest and rapey bits. The final fights were underwhelming. The only thing I could really say I enjoyed were things such as the sound, art, and animation. Everything else was pretty bad.

Aincrad: 6/10

Alfheim: 2/10

Overall: 4/10

Hopefully the later seasons will be much better than this one.
Dec 14, 2020 6:28 PM
Mar 2019
When I started it was a 7 but as it went on it became a 5/10 for me. I’m really trying to get to alizization or whatever but coming back to this, it was really average at best.
Mar 15, 2021 10:24 AM

Nov 2019
Since this anime was suggested by my girlfriend, I had to watch it, even if my expectations where pretty low. I know her, and she’s not into battle shounen that much, so it had to be a very strong romance component, and I was not wrong.
Knowing this, I watched this from a different perspective and actually enjoyed it overall. It has it obvious flaws, but I don’t think it deserves all this hate it got over the years. As far as my personal opinion goes, it was a good series, so it’s a 7/10 for me.
Apr 6, 2021 5:42 AM
Jan 2011
Was great in the 1st half ruined in the 2nd half
May 9, 2021 10:58 PM
Sep 2013
Loved it just as much as I did the first time around! Time to do a S2 rewatch and then watch S3!
Aug 5, 2021 5:03 PM

May 2021
This is the best anime I've ever seen in my life. I recommend anyone who reads this post to watch this anime. Words can't really describe the feeling and happiness after watching it.
Sep 2, 2021 10:18 PM
Jul 2021
Wow. I get that Anime characters are usually dumb AF with relationships between people, but these two are a couple in the game, banged, and so all the players knew they were together, and they've already kissed when they got out. But then he holds her F'n hand, and she's like "Oh people are watching that's going to cost you" and says he'll lose his lunch for it? Are you fucking kidding me? Oh and then she leans on him immediately while everyone can still see. I really wish Anime characters wouldn't behave like they were 11 years old.
Nov 7, 2021 3:05 PM
Nov 2021
Honestly this show could of been very good, if they just dragged out Sao and got rid of ALO. I'm gonna give the Sao part a 8.7/10 and then I'm gonna give ALO a 3.7/10...
Nov 19, 2021 6:40 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Alright ending, everyone gathered, and Aincrad being revived because why not. I feel Suguha arc really shallow, because its rushed as hell, and the plotting really dumb at time. The only good thing about this is ofc Asuna and its romance with mighty mc, Kirito. No wonder some people might be calling if sao would have been better with just drama romance story only, without any game element like that. Because clearly its lack some good sense. Kirito wasn't that bad mc. He's just your generic op mc, with such a generic kindness personality. Nothing else, so its actually not that bad.

Overall i can enjoy some parts, but mostly its frustating me because it can burned your brain with how plot flows. But, if you can just turn off your brain and enjoy the genericness, sao can be good to your watching list.

Shall i continue the Part II, GGO, etc etc, until Alicization? Oh well, there's too much sao. But for sure i may watch the progressive one because its at least not so far from what i experiencing at this one.

That's it all from me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 26, 2021 7:11 PM
Feb 2021
Ending was so beautiful with Kirito Asuna reunion in real world. They are also so cute together and definitely one of the best anime couple. Overall it was 10/10 for me and it was the best anime I have ever watched and one of the few anime which I can't get enough of no matter how many times I watched it. Everything was phenomenal from concept, plot to romance everything.
Feb 16, 2022 1:20 AM

Dec 2021
Pretty average ending. It's funny how Asuna looked healthy when she woke up, unlike Kirito.
Would've have liked Kirito to have killed Sugou, but oh well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2022 7:59 AM
Feb 2022
My wery fist anime ever no wonder way ay love anime know so much
Mar 6, 2022 12:08 AM
Apr 2021
What did kirito said the end?
Aug 9, 2022 8:12 AM
Aug 2022
this_incredible
Aug 10, 2022 11:46 AM
Aug 2022
Legal pra época que assisti
Aug 13, 2022 9:28 PM

May 2015
I've watched Sao first season a lot of times and it's always amazing everytime I feel so nostalgic and it is truly a fun show to watch, I always want to see the next episode
Aug 24, 2022 11:02 PM

Nov 2021
Hmm,The ending was not that bad.

But when I saw the kissing scene I was only like imagine kissing someone who didn't wash their teeth for over 2 years.🙃😂😂

Aug 30, 2022 9:55 AM
Jan 2022
Trash is always trash.
Sep 7, 2022 1:37 PM
Mar 2022
sure kirito see what's in my heart i would do the same thing to sugou or worst and call it self defense
Sep 17, 2022 10:08 PM
Jan 2017
I did a Marathon from Season 1 to the Final Movie. you know how it goes. . . . ama put a Love it, because this saved me from college boredom .
Oct 8, 2022 10:25 PM

May 2022
this is the greatest ending to the greatest anime. Kazuto was able to beat Sugo in real life not only because Sugo's body was negatively affected after being beat up in ALO, but Kazuto was in a rush of adrenaline. It would suck so much if you were this close to reuniting with your loved one in real life and Kazuto definitely didn't want to let Sugo win. The KiriAsuna moments throughout are SO CUTE, Asuna best girl btw. With The Seed sprouting, new virtual worlds are born which is amazing. Finally, Suguha now feels better with her relationship with Kazuto, finally fixing that distant gap. It was so nice to see the two of them dance.
Oct 14, 2022 10:38 AM
Oct 2022
Is sao. I dont know what say in 15 words... sao
Pages (29) « First ... « 26 27 [28] 29 »

More topics from this board

» Best anime ? ( 1 2 3 )

inthelovedotorg - Jun 11

108 by Inqo »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1270 by Artromex »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2012

769 by Artromex »»
Jun 25, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 18, 2012

752 by Artromex »»
Jun 24, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2012

777 by ssafin »»
Jun 23, 2:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.