Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Feb 3, 2021 2:33 PM

Apr 2018
kunieda said:
Ultrabook said:
A lot of people are saying that Momoe may have rejected her friend because she is not into them, but I'd also like to make a point that is possible she might've thought that they only liked her because of her perceived traditional masculinity and 'boyishness' from the people around her (etc. the people she saved earlier) which is something she may not want.
This possibility also came to mind, tbh. It seems like they're going to explore her being boyish and other girls being attracted to her (maybe smth related to "girl crushes"), though I'm not sure if it's actually going to be along the lines of "these girls like the idea of me looking like a boy, they don't like me for me and as a girl" (which would have been really interesting to see portrayed and discussed). Let's see how they handle her character, overall.

I'm honestly really hyped about the sheer possibility of this. The 'handsome masc looking girl that all the other girls are crushing on (but like, not really, y'know)' is a well established trope but i don't think I've ever seen any series put this particular spin on it. Liking girls and presenting more butch for the sake of it, while not actually wanting to present that way and never knowing if others like you for the girl you are or just for the idea of you that your appearance sells. That's. Yeah that could be interesting.
It would also be a unique examination of class s and girl crushes, like you said, or it could, but i think exploring that on top of everything else might just be a bit too much for a one season anime with 4 leads
Feb 3, 2021 3:16 PM

Jun 2013
elany said:
kunieda said:
This possibility also came to mind, tbh. It seems like they're going to explore her being boyish and other girls being attracted to her (maybe smth related to "girl crushes"), though I'm not sure if it's actually going to be along the lines of "these girls like the idea of me looking like a boy, they don't like me for me and as a girl" (which would have been really interesting to see portrayed and discussed). Let's see how they handle her character, overall.

I'm honestly really hyped about the sheer possibility of this. The 'handsome masc looking girl that all the other girls are crushing on (but like, not really, y'know)' is a well established trope but i don't think I've ever seen any series put this particular spin on it. Liking girls and presenting more butch for the sake of it, while not actually wanting to present that way and never knowing if others like you for the girl you are or just for the idea of you that your appearance sells. That's. Yeah that could be interesting.
It would also be a unique examination of class s and girl crushes, like you said, or it could, but i think exploring that on top of everything else might just be a bit too much for a one season anime with 4 leads
Kashima from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun comes to mind, I feel like that "girl crush" concept is actually handled with tact even with it being humorous. She's on board with it, the rest of the cast are chill about it and, well, it's consensual that Kashima is charming. But with Momoe, it's something that seems to strip her of her own agency and that encounter with that girl at school definitely played a part in her unease. And yeah, given the number of episodes and the show's wide range of topics it's possible that her arc in particular might not have time for all those layers. Here's to hoping for a more fleshed out outcome, though!
Feb 3, 2021 5:58 PM
Jul 2020
kunieda said:
Ultrabook said:
A lot of people are saying that Momoe may have rejected her friend because she is not into them, but I'd also like to make a point that is possible she might've thought that they only liked her because of her perceived traditional masculinity and 'boyishness' from the people around her (etc. the people she saved earlier) which is something she may not want.

This idea isn't super out there and there could be a very solid possibility for this. Especially judging from her reaction when that second girl who she saves mentions that she didn't care if she was a boy or a girl, she was still in love with her. I mean it's all just speculation at this point, but I'm genuinely excited to find out more! I'm really hoping that they flesh this out as well as it's been going.
Feb 3, 2021 6:13 PM

Jan 2018
Great episode. It was over so fast. The credits started and I was not ready for it.

Aside from that, why does everyone assume Momo is a lesbian? She has a chat right at the end with Meiru and Ai about Adam's apples and calls them sexy, assumed to be talking about men. I think the more likely scenario here is that she struggles with being seen as masculine while wanting to be seen as a girl, and when her friend tried to come on to her, she rejected her, and said friend ended her own life later possible due to that. Likely, she started dressing like a boy because she keeps being told she looks like one. Her eggs seems to deal with self esteem and maybe unwanted sexual advances (we barely get a glimpse into the second one, though, so don't really know what was the issue there), and also maybe dealing with the fact the a girl can like a girl not just because she looks like a guy (probably what she assumed about her friend).

Also, for people complaining about the very rudimentary explanation of male vs female suicides by the wonder twins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_suicide
IBloodstormIFeb 3, 2021 6:21 PM
Feb 3, 2021 6:59 PM

Oct 2019
kunieda said:
Ultrabook said:

It does seem to be asking for a little too much for such in-depth development of this more complex part of gender identity issues in anime, but yknow, could be a first (though I'm not hopeful). Would love it though.
Feb 3, 2021 7:23 PM
Apr 2008
RobertBobert said:
Although incest was literally a thing in the very first writing of this show.

@RobertBobert what do you mean by that?

B3RyL01 said:
There might be a clue in what the strawmen said about reasons for suicides. They believe men's suicides are goal-oriented (as in, due to a difficulty of a practical nature, like losing a job or becoming disabled), while women's suicides are feeling-oriented (as in, due to having your heart broken or other emotional trauma). This is consistent with what the modern psychiatry tells us about the issue of suicide from a gender-specific perspective. That's not the whole story of course, and there are more than enough exceptions, but that's just what the statistics show. Whether the authors will take this phenomenon at face value and just roll with it, or will they try to deconstruct it somehow remains to be seen.

Very interesting. And thank you too, @IBloodstormI , for providing the link.
Now I'm highly interested in the series' follow-up on this line of ACCAs. It is extremely easy here to fail.

Kurosawa-san said:
That said, there is another interesting detail. The monster Momoe was fighting at the end was an angry lady who refused to let her inside the women-only carriage. Of course, this hurt Momoe, but also this "nightmare" belongs to the girl who Momoe was protecting in that dream. For the previous girl, it was her abuser, for the idol's fans it was their "crazy obsessed rival", and previously we had an abusive trainer.
The girl who Momoe was protecting appears to be, well, a girly girl. She doesn't have masculine features and style, compared to Momoe. So why is she traumatised by a lady who is stopping men from entering the women-only carriages? Perhaps, this girl is actually transgender and that's why she was scared of the woman who would force her to board the mixed carriage instead, claiming that she is 'a man'. This could explain her suicide as well as why she is more open towards Momoe's gender identity when she finds out about it.

That's a very good catch! I honestly can't find a flaw in your argument.

OgiDaWogi said:
Momoe seems visibly uncomfortable whenever another girl hits on her or whenever someone points out how boyish she looks. My guess is that her friend killed herself because she was in love with her but Momoe had to reject her because she isn't into that. Now she dresses up like a boy because she thinks it's her fault that her friend died and wants to make sure that no other girls like her friend end up the same way. It's really sad, honestly, I wish that she wouldn't blame herself for it.
Nonetheless, she was very happy when Ai said she looks like a girl, and earlier she said "I'm a girl!" to that ghost monster. I believe that people who says "trans allegory" and the like are looking into it way too much.

nibelungsgold said:
Many kinda assume Momoe is a lesbian but I'm pretty sure she is straight
1. She was noticeably uncomfortable every time girls confessed to her
2. It seems that the girl from her flashback killed herself after being rejected - obv lesbians can reject other girls, but still, not being into girls is a solid reason for a rejection, and it would also make her friend's situation even more hopeless (not only are her feelings not mutual, but they never will be), thus pushing her closer to suicide
3. "Adam's apples are sexy" isn't really a lesbian remark to make
None of those really prove anything, but I do think it points straight rather than not.
Ngl I hope that's what they're going for, it would make for a more refreshing and original (and more tragic in a sense) story; we don't really get LGBT+ themes explored from perspectives of straight characters.

I fully agree. The amount of people here who simply wants her to be gay or trans no matter what scares me, honestly. This stereotype is very offensive to the real-life straight tomboyish girls and they don't even realise it.

Feb 3, 2021 9:25 PM

Dec 2016
IBloodstormI said:
Great episode. It was over so fast. The credits started and I was not ready for it.

Aside from that, why does everyone assume Momo is a lesbian? She has a chat right at the end with Meiru and Ai about Adam's apples and calls them sexy, assumed to be talking about men. I think the more likely scenario here is that she struggles with being seen as masculine while wanting to be seen as a girl, and when her friend tried to come on to her, she rejected her, and said friend ended her own life later possible due to that. Likely, she started dressing like a boy because she keeps being told she looks like one. Her eggs seems to deal with self esteem and maybe unwanted sexual advances (we barely get a glimpse into the second one, though, so don't really know what was the issue there), and also maybe dealing with the fact the a girl can like a girl not just because she looks like a guy (probably what she assumed about her friend).

I'm pretty sure this is where they're going with her character. I think that it's a commentary on gender identity but presented in a more digestible manner. In this case, Momoe is a girl who is viewed by others to be a boy, so she dresses herself as a boy to "meet the expectations" of those people. However, in reality, she actually wants others to see her as a girl (and maybe even do girly things?). This could draw parallels to those who are born one as gender, see themselves as the opposite, but choose to suppress their feelings/identity due to societal norms.

It could also be a story of simply standing up for yourself, learning to stop trying to please everyone, and by doing so, live a happier life.

Dracus said:

I fully agree. The amount of people here who simply wants her to be gay or trans no matter what scares me, honestly. This stereotype is very offensive to the real-life straight tomboyish girls and they don't even realise it.

Thank you for being one of the few sound-minded people in this thread.
aguywithanameFeb 3, 2021 9:49 PM
Feb 3, 2021 11:41 PM

Oct 2008
Animation team department is real deal SASUGA!
why does Sawaki sounds like similar to the low pitch voice of Kitou Akari???!?
5/5.
nice! the 4 of them have gathered!

Feb 3, 2021 11:42 PM

Jun 2012
aguywithaname said:

Sadly, a handful of people want representation so badly, they clutch at straws and are willing to alienate some of the fanbase or chase others away for not agreeing with them.

Personally, I don't care who or what a character is. It's up to the writers to decide those things.
Feb 4, 2021 12:55 AM
Nov 2017
What is that song called from yu yu
Feb 4, 2021 1:52 AM
Nov 2019
They talked about men killing themselves. Since men do it a lot more than women, I'm curious to see if that will be revisited at some point, probably not though considering the way they talked about supposed gender differences in motives.
Feb 4, 2021 3:01 AM

Aug 2017
cool, the gang's all here.

I'm interested in what Neiru's weapon is now. Ai has a pen as a giant mace, Rika has two boxcutter swords, and Momoe has a flagpole? umbrella? that's used as like a fencing sword/spear or as a shield. is Neiru gonna be the one with a ranged weapon, or will she be dual-wielding like Rika.

when Rika mentioned that since they're immortal there they'll get better eventually... I wonder if that affects all their injuries? like if they stay in the egg world after they save the girl will they heal up and not have to go to the hospital irl.
Feb 4, 2021 3:52 AM

Sep 2020
Wow we got to see a new character!!

Glad to see Rika-Chan break tru the stoning!

And she looks like a Trap!!>.<

Looks like Ohto-San and she will get along well.
It was funny how they thought Momo was a male first tho xD

Looking forward for the nest episode!!!!
Feb 4, 2021 3:53 AM

Oct 2018
A new and also the last party member, Momoe Sawaki!

Never knew there will be some yuri moments from Momoe Sawaki, especially she's one of another reverse trap character

Both battle looks really fun and awesome when the BGM are added XD

Looks like next episode is gonna be more fun now that the 4 party members have gathered for battle.
Forum set made by Nate
Feb 4, 2021 4:16 AM
Sep 2016
Everyone are arguing about Momo-chan..... Did nobody mentioned that Chitanda Eru is getting molested? Well, curiosity kills a cat. She just got what she deserved for always nagging on Oreki all this time I guess....
(This is obviously a joke though....)
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Feb 4, 2021 4:21 AM

Jan 2018
Kurosawa-san said:

That said, there is another interesting detail. The monster Momoe was fighting at the end was an angry lady who refused to let her inside the women-only carriage. Of course, this hurt Momoe, but also this "nightmare" belongs to the girl who Momoe was protecting in that dream. For the previous girl, it was her abuser, for the idol's fans it was their "crazy obsessed rival", and previously we had an abusive trainer.
The girl who Momoe was protecting appears to be, well, a girly girl. She doesn't have masculine features and style, compared to Momoe. So why is she traumatised by a lady who is stopping men from entering the women-only carriages? Perhaps, this girl is actually transgender and that's why she was scared of the woman who would force her to board the mixed carriage instead, claiming that she is 'a man'. This could explain her suicide as well as why she is more open towards Momoe's gender identity when she finds out about it.

Hmm, I wondered what that was all about, because it was so brief. It's a theory that definitely makes sense.
Feb 4, 2021 10:04 AM

Apr 2018
Glordit said:
aguywithaname said:

Sadly, a handful of people want representation so badly, they clutch at straws and are willing to alienate some of the fanbase or chase others away for not agreeing with them.

Personally, I don't care who or what a character is. It's up to the writers to decide those things.

I feel like this might be slightly unfair, given what most people have been actually saying - that's she's a very accurate portrayal of many queer people and they wouldn't be surprised if she turned out to be queer herself. It's hardly clutching at straws to say "yeah, this hits close to home, so I could see it going this way"

We're all leaving it up to the writers to decide on where they want to take the story, but it's just the nature of theorising to question authorial intent. Can hardly fault people for wanting to speculate about a show they like, no? That's why we're all here after all.
Feb 4, 2021 11:48 AM

Jan 2018
elany said:
Glordit said:

I feel like this might be slightly unfair, given what most people have been actually saying - that's she's a very accurate portrayal of many queer people and they wouldn't be surprised if she turned out to be queer herself. It's hardly clutching at straws to say "yeah, this hits close to home, so I could see it going this way"

We're all leaving it up to the writers to decide on where they want to take the story, but it's just the nature of theorising to question authorial intent. Can hardly fault people for wanting to speculate about a show they like, no? That's why we're all here after all.

Lots of posts I read through this don't question the direction she is headed as a form of discussion, but outright state "she's a lesbian" or "she's transgender". None of her written lines nor the scenes we were shown really alludes to this, in fact, it alludes quite to the opposite (unless she actually turns out to be biologically male, but we have no reason to believe so right now [The Accas reinforcing this]). She very clearly struggles with not wanting to be seen as male/masculine, but dresses as such out of a feeling of inferiority or unworthiness of being seen as a female/feminine ("These clothes suit me better" I believe she says). That is why it surprises her when the second girl she saves tells her that male or female did not matter, she still loves her (probably tying into why her friend killed herself, or at least why Momo feels she did), and why it means so much to her when Ai sees her as a crying girl. The flashback of her friend, and comments made by her toward the end of the episode, also seem to point that she did not expect a girl to be interested in her as a girl (I take this as she believes in her head, because of her own issues with her apparent masculinity as a girl, that a girl who liked her liked her because she looked like a boy which she doesn't want to hear, because she wants to be seen as a girl), plus her short chat about Adam's apples with the other girls points more to that she is interested in boys and not girls.
Feb 4, 2021 12:34 PM
Jul 2020
elany said:
Glordit said:

I totally agree with this. And I do think a lot of people are taking it super personally, which looking at the bigger picture is very unfair.

IBloodstormI said:

Also, for people complaining about the very rudimentary explanation of male vs female suicides by the wonder twins:

I'm not gonna rule out the possibility of her being a Lesbian. But I also don't think how someone presents themselves (whether masculine or feminine) should be what dictates their sexuality. Tomboys can just as likely be straight as they can be gay or whatever else. Which is why I think most people are quick to conclude that she's gay.

So far we are shown that she's been quite uncomfortable/confused with the confessions of all of the girls she saves and including who we will assume is her best friend in those flashbacks. We have to assume that what led to her friend to commit suicide and her manifestation of guilt, traces back to that very confession. Perhaps she couldn't return her friend's feelings or perhaps she actually did but then they were ostracised for it. Eitherway pushing her friend over the edge. Her dressing up as a boy could be a manifestation of that guilt she's holding from either outcomes. I don't think she actually really wants to be seen as masculine or a boy, but uses it as an outlet or type of protection for dealing with her trauma.

If we go with the first outcome. You could also argue that the reason she may have rejected her friend is because she herself is still conflicted about her sexuality and or gender identity. She may have believed two girls cannot have a real romance. You can assume this by picking up on her reaction when the second girl she saves mentions that she didn't care if she was a boy or a girl, and that she's fallen in love with her anyway. Perhaps the realisation is finally dawning on her that two girls loving eachother is ok. Making her feel even more guilty or confused (even if she did have feelings for friend or not). This frustration of hers also shows in the first girl she saves.

Now, the only thing that's holding me back from being really sure that she is gay is her passing comment about adam apples being hot. This could mean nothing, just something the writers wanted to put in there to throw us off. But it's still something I can't ignore. This doesn't rule out that she could be bi, but it's all just speculation at this point and I'm still leaning on the side of her being more bi/straight instead of gay. But I honestly don't mind or see a problem with the writers taking either route, coz it's been handled pretty well so far. I'm really enjoying this show and it's way of story telling. They reveal enough to keep you intrigued but not enough to lose the mystery. I'm really excited for the next episode!

Sorry for the long post lmao
AzenithFeb 4, 2021 12:40 PM
Feb 4, 2021 12:45 PM
Jul 2020
IBloodstormI said:
elany said:

Lots of posts I read through this don't question the direction she is headed as a form of discussion, but outright state "she's a lesbian" or "she's transgender". None of her written lines nor the scenes we were shown really alludes to this, in fact, it alludes quite to the opposite (unless she actually turns out to be biologically male, but we have no reason to believe so right now [The Accas reinforcing this]). She very clearly struggles with not wanting to be seen as male/masculine, but dresses as such out of a feeling of inferiority or unworthiness of being seen as a female/feminine ("These clothes suit me better" I believe she says). That is why it surprises her when the second girl she saves tells her that male or female did not matter, she still loves her (probably tying into why her friend killed herself, or at least why Momo feels she did), and why it means so much to her when Ai sees her as a crying girl. The flashback of her friend, and comments made by her toward the end of the episode, also seem to point that she did not expect a girl to be interested in her as a girl (I take this as she believes in her head, because of her own issues with her apparent masculinity as a girl, that a girl who liked her liked her because she looked like a boy which she doesn't want to hear, because she wants to be seen as a girl), plus her short chat about Adam's apples with the other girls points more to that she is interested in boys and not girls.

It is a little unfair to say there is no evidence whatsoever. The story at this point can still go in many directions. I just think going down hard on who's speculation is more correct is definitely little unfair
Feb 4, 2021 12:45 PM
May 2018
Azenith said:
alm958 said:
WTF was with that stuff about boys and girls suicides being different??? Men are goal oriented and women are emotionally oriented?? What does that even mean? I know multiple men who have commited suicide and to just brush it off as somehow lesser or different than women really pisses me off.

I wouldn't get too offended. They weren't really downplaying anyone's suicide. They were making the observation that men and women (the majority of the time) take different paths to reach their conclusion. Men being goal orientated, means suicide is their goal as everything else around them has failed. Where as with women, they take a more emotional route, where suicide could be a spur of the moment during their heightened period of pain. Often times leading them to regret their decision of suicide. And resulting in the creation of this weird dream world that they are in. Basically all these egg girls regretted their decision, it's not saying that boys can't go there too.

Anyway we don't even know what these egg people even are yet, or what they actually signify

The statements they made about male suicide are downright misinformation tho.
Very few real people have suicide as a 'goal'. My friend that killed himself a few years ago was literally hanging out with friends messing around the night before. He was applying and accepted to colleges. The show is also implying that men dont ever regret suicide but women do which is dumb as hell.
Feb 4, 2021 12:51 PM

Jan 2018
Azenith said:
elany said:

I totally agree with this. And I do think a lot of people are taking it super personally, which looking at the bigger picture is very unfair.

IBloodstormI said:

I'm not gonna rule out the possibility of her being a Lesbian. But I also don't think how someone presents themselves (whether masculine or feminine) should be what dictates their sexuality. Tomboys can just as likely be straight as they can be gay or whatever else. Which is why I think most people are quick to conclude that she's gay.

So far we are shown that she's been quite uncomfortable/confused with the confessions of all of the girls she saves and including who we will assume is her best friend in those flashbacks. We have to assume that what led to her friend to commit suicide and her manifestation of guilt, traces back to that very confession. Perhaps she couldn't return her friend's feelings or perhaps she actually did but then they were ostracised for it. Eitherway pushing her friend over the edge. Her dressing up as a boy could be a manifestation of that guilt she's holding from either outcomes. I don't think she actually really wants to be seen as masculine or a boy, but uses it as an outlet or type of protection for dealing with her trauma.

If we go with the first outcome. You could also argue that the reason she may have rejected her friend is because she herself is still conflicted about her sexuality and or gender identity. She may have believed two girls cannot have a real romance. You can assume this by picking up on her reaction when the second girl she saves mentions that she didn't care if she was a boy or a girl, and that she's fallen in love with her anyway. Perhaps the realisation is finally dawning on her that two girls loving eachother is ok. Making her feel even more guilty or confused (even if she did have feelings for friend or not). This frustration of hers also shows in the first girl she saves.

Now, the only thing that's holding me back from being really sure that she is gay is her passing comment about adam apples being hot. This could mean nothing, just something the writers wanted to put in there to throw us off. But it's still something I can't ignore. This doesn't rule out that she could be bi, but it's all just speculation at this point and I'm still leaning on the side of her being more bi/straight instead of gay. But I honestly don't mind or see a problem with the writers taking either route, coz it's been handled pretty well so far. I'm really enjoying this show and it's way of story telling. They reveal enough to keep you intrigued but not enough to lose the mystery. I'm really excited for the next episode!

Sorry for the long post lmao

Nah, good post. I agree with you mostly. I almost said in one of my posts that maybe she is bisexual, but I honestly do not feel enough evidence has presented itself for that conclusion. She does not really reciprocate to the girls that fall for her.

I interpreted the thing with the second girl more as Momo's beginning to realise that maybe girls like her and not just because she looks like a boy, which she clearly resents. My theory is that, due to her struggle with her image, she rejected and maybe even resented her friend believing it was only because she looked boyish, and now feels guilty because her friend killed herself which she believes is her doing.Maybe this will lead to her being able to accept the feeling of another girl, and even reciprocate, but right now, it seems more just to be tied into her own body image issues than her struggle with sexual orientation.

If it turns out otherwise, I welcome it all the same.

alm958 said:
Azenith said:

I wouldn't get too offended. They weren't really downplaying anyone's suicide. They were making the observation that men and women (the majority of the time) take different paths to reach their conclusion. Men being goal orientated, means suicide is their goal as everything else around them has failed. Where as with women, they take a more emotional route, where suicide could be a spur of the moment during their heightened period of pain. Often times leading them to regret their decision of suicide. And resulting in the creation of this weird dream world that they are in. Basically all these egg girls regretted their decision, it's not saying that boys can't go there too.

Anyway we don't even know what these egg people even are yet, or what they actually signify

Very few real people have suicide as a 'goal'. My friend that killed himself a few years ago was literally hanging out with friends messing around the night before. He was applying and accepted to colleges. The show is also implying that men dont ever regret suicide but women do which is dumb as hell.

I do not believe they meant "guys kill themselves because that's what they wanted to do" but that the societal influences on men versus woman differ in what results in suicide. Woman are shown to consider suicide much more often then men are on average, however, men are more likely to actually commit suicide. The factor that are believed to cause this rest in the societal expectation of "men provide", and other masculine bs that results in men being less likely to seek help for depression or suicidal thoughts. (This is the same reason men tend to die more from illness like cancer, too macho to go to the doctor) It's believed that a lot of societal expectation set on men lead to them committing suicide (like providing, status, etc), while woman may have more spur of the moment consideration of suicide but usually do not result in suicide.

I read up on all this after the episode, because I thought "people aren't going to like that, is it true?"
IBloodstormIFeb 4, 2021 1:03 PM
Feb 4, 2021 12:57 PM
Jul 2020
alm958 said:
Azenith said:

They didn't say that tho? So I don't know what is leading you to this conclusion? They did say it was possible for boys to end up in that dream world, but that it's just usually unlikely. You also have to remember this is a fictional take on this concept of suicide. We ourselves in the real world will never really know. Whether what these egg ppl are saying could be true or what you are saying could be true. No one at all can really know unless you can somehow can get into the heads of the people who commit these suicides. Maybe your take on your friends could be true. But then maybe your friends are the minority. All I'm saying is we can never really truly know (I don't know what kind of research is out there for this type of thing). It's not like they go out there to take surveys for this stuff. I don't think it is so much to misinform the audience than it is trying to build a narrative around their fictional world building.
Feb 4, 2021 1:12 PM

Jan 2018
Azenith said:
IBloodstormI said:

It is a little unfair to say there is no evidence whatsoever. The story at this point can still go in many directions. I just think going down hard on who's speculation is more correct is definitely little unfair

I didn't really say none whatsoever, just that I didn't think it alluded to it (her being gay and/or trans) more than it didn't allude to it.
Feb 4, 2021 1:20 PM
Jul 2020
IBloodstormI said:
Nah, good post. I agree with you mostly. I almost said in one of my posts that maybe she is bisexual, but I honestly do not feel enough evidence has presented itself for that conclusion. She does not really reciprocate to the girls that fall for her.

I interpreted the thing with the second girl more as Momo's beginning to realise that maybe girls like her and not just because she looks like a boy, which she clearly resents. My theory is that, due to her struggle with her image, she rejected and maybe even resented her friend believing it was only because she looked boyish, and now feels guilty because her friend killed herself which she believes is her doing.Maybe this will lead to her being able to accept the feeling of another girl, and even reciprocate, but right now, it seems more just to be tied into her own body image issues than her struggle with sexual orientation.

If it turns out otherwise, I welcome it all the same.

Yeh, it's definitely all just what our gut feeling is telling us at this point. The adam's apple comment could easily be interpreted as more or less than depending on the viewer. Lesbians can still find certain aspects of men attractive but that doesn't necessarily mean it is sexual etc. I can definitely see why people can see her being an lgbtq person conflicted with her sexuality and or gender identity. And I can also see how people don't feel that way at all. There is fairly decent evidence for all of it. That's why I'm so impressed with this show so far. It's got people really invested. It's so well done
AzenithFeb 4, 2021 1:30 PM
Feb 4, 2021 1:37 PM
Jul 2020
IBloodstormI said:
Azenith said:

I didn't really say none whatsoever, just that I didn't think it alluded to it (her being gay and/or trans) more than it didn't allude to it.

Ok, fair enough :) just wanted to put it out there that I also agree with why some people can see it as unfair. Coz there's def a lot of different perspectives. It's really hard to know who is more correct at this point in time. But of course it's fine if that is what you're more leaning towards. Just been kinda disappointed with some takes on the this thread that her being lesbian would be bad writing, wrong or forced etc. Which is really not true if you try to see it from a different perspective. Also, this representation also means so much for more for the lgbtq community too. This is not directed particularly at you btw. Just putting it out there lol
AzenithFeb 4, 2021 2:01 PM
Feb 4, 2021 1:53 PM

Feb 2019
The idol stuff gotten slightly worse with the sacrifice being shrugged off as nothing, the 2 girls 'saving the day' by being fangirling extra hard, and being fixed/growing by redirecting their fandom to other people before being booted out of purgatory or hell or whatever.
The second half of the episode also got a bit weird. Not only was it kind of floundering, but it decided to start throwing things out like "Oh, there's a boy hell and a girl hell because of all those FEELS girls have." I don't even know where to begin to parse that.

The focus of the episode though was the new girl who apparently keeps being mistaken for a boy and having girls aggressively come on to her who is apparently stuck fighting an endless parade of train molesters. Once or twice, sure, thematic. But she's three for three, which is getting a little silly, and six for six if you also count the protagonists and another fairly weird conversation about how sexy her neck is. I have a feeling that the series will not treat this issue in the correct way, it's Japan I do not expect anything from them.

I feel like there's a little bit of mixed message there with the first one about a girl who was shamed by her parents for not letting herself be molested for the betterment of the family, who then proceeded to let herself be molested to kill the monster. That scene both over-objectified her and didn't give her enough agency to really show her taking control over it, just letting herself be molested for revenge instead of her dad's job(?) I suppose?
Feb 4, 2021 2:06 PM
Jul 2020
RayReynolds said:
The idol stuff gotten slightly worse with the sacrifice being shrugged off as nothing, the 2 girls 'saving the day' by being fangirling extra hard, and being fixed/growing by redirecting their fandom to other people before being booted out of purgatory or hell or whatever.
The second half of the episode also got a bit weird. Not only was it kind of floundering, but it decided to start throwing things out like "Oh, there's a boy hell and a girl hell because of all those FEELS girls have." I don't even know where to begin to parse that.

The focus of the episode though was the new girl who apparently keeps being mistaken for a boy and having girls aggressively come on to her who is apparently stuck fighting an endless parade of train molesters. Once or twice, sure, thematic. But she's three for three, which is getting a little silly, and six for six if you also count the protagonists and another fairly weird conversation about how sexy her neck is. I have a feeling that the series will not treat this issue in the correct way, it's Japan I do not expect anything from them.

I feel like there's a little bit of mixed message there with the first one about a girl who was shamed by her parents for not letting herself be molested for the betterment of the family, who then proceeded to let herself be molested to kill the monster. That scene both over-objectified her and didn't give her enough agency to really show her taking control over it, just letting herself be molested for revenge instead of her dad's job(?) I suppose?

I think you should read further up to see what people's takes on this are. I personally think a lot of people are taking things very personal and it's interesting how many varying views people have, for evidence not clearly presented in the show, it is just their own speculations that is what is swaying their feelings and not what the show is actually solidly representing.

A good link from Bloodstorm who posted this earlier. Regarding the boy and girl hell you speak of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_suicide
Feb 4, 2021 2:07 PM
Jan 2009
What exactly is sexy about an Adam's apple?
Feb 4, 2021 7:29 PM

Mar 2019
Quality Episode..... LOVED IT.!!!...

Neiru is damn gorgeous... but i miss Koito!!!
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Feb 4, 2021 8:10 PM

Feb 2014
The episodes are getting heavy now. Boys suicide are goal orientated and girls suicide are emotion oriented? Couldn't have said it better.
That harassment part was hard to learn. How can a mother say to suck it up to her abused child? If your own parents don't save you what else is there to believe in? If she was my daughter. I would have served that executive on a lasagna plate to the wolves. Piece of shit!!

KANLen09 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The 4th and final chosen Wonder Egg tomboy girl: Momoe "Momotaro" Sawaki, tackling issues about sexual harassment and gender identity (making that uncomfortable "trans allegory / transgender" topic made known, a first in anime in decades).

What was the previous anime with such trope?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Feb 4, 2021 8:58 PM
May 2018
so they said women are weaker on this episode when it comes to suicide reasons and yall ate that shit? disgusting. i really hope this turns into a social critique of some form, given the fact that we also have a new character that may or may not be in the lgbt spectrum.
helter12skelterFeb 4, 2021 9:23 PM
Feb 5, 2021 12:18 AM

Sep 2020
As usual great episode 10/10
Feb 5, 2021 2:28 AM
Dec 2020
deg said:
nice so the immortality plot is not forgotten lol i thought Rika will be petrified until the enemy is defeated by Ai but i guess not since ye they are immortal like episode 1 shows

Momo is a lesbian but not a tomboy i guess

i wonder what Ai remembers by the name Sawaki though in the end

and the action sakuga is awesome again
wdym momo is a lesbian not a tomboy, you can be one or both
Feb 5, 2021 4:55 AM
Jul 2020
Kadmos1 said:
What exactly is sexy about an Adam's apple?

I'm guessing it's coz it makes a guy look more masculine. Also, the more prominent the adam's apple, usually the deeper the voice.
Feb 5, 2021 4:55 AM
Jul 2020
helter12skelter said:
so they said women are weaker on this episode when it comes to suicide reasons and yall ate that shit? disgusting. i really hope this turns into a social critique of some form, given the fact that we also have a new character that may or may not be in the lgbt spectrum.

How did you interpret that to mean women are weaker?
Feb 5, 2021 4:57 AM
Jul 2020
dasprn said:
The episodes are getting heavy now. Boys suicide are goal orientated and girls suicide are emotion oriented? Couldn't have said it better.
That harassment part was hard to learn. How can a mother say to suck it up to her abused child? If your own parents don't save you what else is there to believe in? If she was my daughter. I would have served that executive on a lasagna plate to the wolves. Piece of shit!!

KANLen09 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The 4th and final chosen Wonder Egg tomboy girl: Momoe "Momotaro" Sawaki, tackling issues about sexual harassment and gender identity (making that uncomfortable "trans allegory / transgender" topic made known, a first in anime in decades).

What was the previous anime with such trope?

It happens a lot more than you think, and it's not always just the mother too. Parents really suck, especially in regards to their daughters
Feb 5, 2021 5:00 AM
May 2018
Azenith said:
helter12skelter said:

the character literally said women are moved by emotion, meaning they have no control.
Feb 5, 2021 5:28 AM
Dec 2019
These episodes are too short lmao. I was late to the party was went "wait another episode is out?!" like three days late. From the designs to characters this has gotten me hooked already just dropping hints and stuff. It really digs into things other shows probably wouldn't, without changing the atmosphere.
Feb 5, 2021 5:33 AM

May 2020
So, is everyone going to gloss over the "men kill themselves because g o a l s", but "women kill themselves cause e m o t i o n s"? and they even add that women are easily susceptible. Wtf mate? that's some messed up reasoning right there
btw, what would a "goal" even be?
but alas, I shouldn't expect much from a country that historically deals horribly with such themes, at least they are trying, right? right?!

other than that, and last episode's glorification of " it's my depressed friend that should've reached out to me for help, not the other way around!", this shows looks promising

Skibbidy skib skib skaa
say "NO" to fanservice
Feb 5, 2021 5:44 AM
Jul 2020
helter12skelter said:
Azenith said:

the character literally said women are moved by emotion, meaning they have no control.

Experiencing a heightened sense of emotion does not make someone weak or out of control. It just means their struggles are different. You literally say the same for men not being able to see any other option, you can even class that as also weak minded. The end result is the same, it's just the path they take to get there are different. A lot of this is reinforced by societies gender roles. It is likely men do not allow to feel these emotions because society has reinforced this, giving the opposite affect. Neither one is inferior, society has just made you think someone being emotional is seen as weak and out of control.

As for regret, perhaps they think girls have more regret because they are more in touch with their emotions. Later feeling the decision was wrong, where as boys are driven thinking there was no other option even if there was.
Feb 5, 2021 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
Desmondus said:
These episodes are too short lmao. I was late to the party was went "wait another episode is out?!" like three days late. From the designs to characters this has gotten me hooked already just dropping hints and stuff. It really digs into things other shows probably wouldn't, without changing the atmosphere.

Me too. "Felt like fast" is proof of great quality :D
Feb 5, 2021 8:56 AM

Apr 2018
I fall more in love with Ai each episode. She is so great!
Feb 5, 2021 1:24 PM

Feb 2019
RayReynolds said:

I think you should read further up to see what people's takes on this are. I personally think a lot of people are taking things very personal and it's interesting how many varying views people have, for evidence not clearly presented in the show, it is just their own speculations that is what is swaying their feelings and not what the show is actually solidly representing.

A good link from Bloodstorm who posted this earlier. Regarding the boy and girl hell you speak of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_differences_in_suicide

I don't think is well to relate something statistical to something esoteric, I mean normally it can be like that, but generalizing is always stupid, a boy could commit suicide motivated by his emotions and a girl for not meeting his goals
Feb 5, 2021 3:47 PM

May 2019
degandagan said:
So, is everyone going to gloss over the "men kill themselves because g o a l s", but "women kill themselves cause e m o t i o n s"? and they even add that women are easily susceptible. Wtf mate? that's some messed up reasoning right there
btw, what would a "goal" even be?
but alas, I shouldn't expect much from a country that historically deals horribly with such themes, at least they are trying, right? right?!

other than that, and last episode's glorification of " it's my depressed friend that should've reached out to me for help, not the other way around!", this shows looks promising

Goals: man gets fired, then coldly calculate that cannot take care of his wife and kids anymore, so kill himself.

Emotions: girl ohhhh no she came with the same dress as me nooo ahhhh *kill herself*

LOL

The Accas are the best kyubey ever. No deceivement, no pression, just chilling and giving wise advices.
Feb 5, 2021 4:29 PM

Dec 2016
Kinda funny how Mother's Basement recommended this anime. I follow him on twitter and I'm 100% sure he will have at best mixed feelings about this episode. xD

p.s. if someone wants to comment about not watching MB... just don't.
I'm not forcing anyone to watch him or any anituber.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.106/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.186/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.104/? - weekly) | Machi and Oboro (Ch.13/? - biweekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.76/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 5, 2021 6:23 PM

May 2016
I think the line where they say girls and boy are separated by why they commit suicide was a little bad. It should have been said in a way where it was more general over many people in steed of defacto, but also seems like they needed an excuse just to have a bunch of cute girl characters.

I like Momoe a lot. I don't know if they will every explain her reasoning for wanting to save her friends, but even if she turns out to be a cis girl many of they issues she deals with mirror many trans experience. Also does anyone know what her weapon is suppose to be?
Feb 5, 2021 7:57 PM

Dec 2015
does anyone know the va for the black long haired girl? i swear she looks and sounds exacly like chitanda
Feb 6, 2021 6:38 AM

Aug 2018
this show has been pretty consistently good at making me uncomfortable. the stories of trauma all feel very real which i must applaud the writers for since that can be a difficult thing to achieve.

Feb 6, 2021 7:00 AM
Sep 2019
I'm not watching this hoping for yuri, but honestly speaking I am a huge fan of yuri and also enjoy positive LGBTQ rep in media so at first I was thrilled when I got to the Momoe & Haruka flashback scene. Then came the adam's apple talk and realized that she's probably not into girls. I rewatched the whole episode then to make myself sure. But Momoe being (presumably) cis hetero girl doesn't make her less interesting character imo.

and I hope this show wasn't seriously saying that what Acca/Uraacca said about suicide was the truth....

Fran said:
does anyone know the va for the black long haired girl? i swear she looks and sounds exacly like chitanda

hanamori yumiri (yuru camp) voiced her. chitanda's va voiced the leotard girl in episode 2
setsunieFeb 6, 2021 7:06 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2021

419 by redpanda_42 »»
Sep 8, 10:30 PM

» What is this anime all about?

Shy - Aug 1

19 by Jxyf0ry0u »»
Aug 14, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 9, 2021

171 by Orogoth »»
Jul 23, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 23, 2021

196 by nicky_toutou »»
Jul 9, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LittleLucky - Mar 2, 2021

213 by TheEclecticNomad »»
Jul 3, 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.