Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 31, 2020 10:11 AM

Jan 2020
This kind of threads have already been created multiple times. It's probably the third or fourth time I've seen these threads appearing on Anime Discussion over the last couple of months.

To answer your question, I would say Boku dake ga Inai Machi. Not everyone loves the show, but I've seen a lot of people praising it for its brilliance. The first 8 episodes were great despite having a few flaws, but the ending was certainly horrible.
Jul 31, 2020 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Your Name and The Misfit of the Demon King Academy, I don't hate them, but I think they are overrated.
Jul 31, 2020 11:13 AM

Jun 2015
Definitely Budget Girl Senpai. One of the most pointless, nonsensical, badly made shows I've watched. Classic pseudo-intellectual. self-insert "the main character is an inconsiderate cynical asshole pervert in the back of the class just like me but gets all the girls!" light novel garbage. I watched it all the way through just to laugh at how bad it was. Even when there was a genuinely emotional moment, it'd be impossible for me to take it seriously, be it because of horrible visuals or just dumb writing.
Also, people comparing it to Monogatari, Haruhi, or even Oregairu makes me lose faith in the Western anime community every once in a while. Might sound a bit harsh, but I genuinely blame low-effort shows like this and the people who support such shows for the great quality drop of the 2010s.
Jul 31, 2020 11:21 AM

May 2015
Clanned
Monatagari or whatever it's called
Vinland
Jul 31, 2020 11:27 AM

Apr 2020
ummmm .. can not said hate but HxH is an anime that many people like, but I did not enjoy watching it much (Although I gave it 7/10).
MPanahJul 31, 2020 12:06 PM
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Jul 31, 2020 11:52 AM

Mar 2012
Hate is a strong word. I don't hate but I don't really like My Hero Academia all that much. It started really cool and went downhill for me. I just don't like the main character Deku, he's kinda annoying. And I don't care much for the secondary characters which seem to take a lot of focus on this show. I do like Todoroki tho, he's awesome.
物事は良くなりますか ? 
Jul 31, 2020 11:58 AM

May 2016
Steins;Gate, top 5 worst anime i've never seen in my life and second on MAL. It's full of problems that with other animes let the people says "okay this is shit" but seems just like the time travel (made bad) thing erase from them every other content of the anime. Also in the positive reviews I see a lot of times "It has beautiful characters".... WHAT? S;G? NICE CHARACTERS? THE ONLY ONE DECENT, NOT EVEN GOOD BUT DECENT, IT'S THE FUCKING DARU! What's the problem with you dudes to not understand the ∞ quantity of bullshites this anime has
Jul 31, 2020 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
I was a bit disappointing to watch hunter x hunter, I think its fine but don't get the big hype.
Jul 31, 2020 1:09 PM

May 2016
Lucky Star and No Game No Life.

I don't understand how anyone can even look at these shows without a visceral reaction from their gag reflexes. It also does not help whatsoever that both shows have abysmal writing.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 31, 2020 1:31 PM

Oct 2015
hero academia and tower of god, both just seem very meh to me.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Jul 31, 2020 1:38 PM

Dec 2017
Just finished Evangelion, it mostly dull and bland with a wtf obviously out of budget ending, but I still don't understand why everybody says every weeb must watch this show, because it's a total masterpiece.
Jul 31, 2020 1:54 PM

Feb 2020
Wouldn't say hate, but I really don't get the hype surrounding Lucky Star. I tried two episodes, I found it super boring (except for the Lucky Channel segment) and dropped. But then I saw a lot of people saying that the two first episodes are indeed boring but the rest is way better. So I tried the third episode. There was no difference. Same bland discussions, same shallow characters... I dropped once again, but in order to be sure I wasn't missing out on something truly good, I checked a few scenes on YouTube. The issues are still the same.
So I really don't get it, I understand that not everyone has the same humor but even when really trying, I can't see what made Lucky Star the incredibly popular show it has become. It is okay at best...

On a way different level of popularity, there is also Higashi no Eden. At first I wasn't planning on watching it. I don't know why, I didn't know anything about it, but for some reason it didn't appeal to me. But it received so much praise, the reviews were so positive, that I decided to try anyway. Well, I don't at all understand the praise. It isn't awful but it is very badly written, which really turned the experience into a chore aside from a few moments that were actually done right so I don't know, am I missing something ?
Jul 31, 2020 1:54 PM

Jul 2020
Max1mumWeeb69 said:
BerZzzerk said:

Wow people have different opinions and taste I know, it's crazy!

The title of this discussion post is "Anime everyone seems to love but you hate?". Why the fuck are you getting mad over me answering that question? Getting mad over criticism of something you like more likely indicates that you don't like opposing opinions.

HAHAHAHAAHAHA ~ sorry, had to get that out of my system. I was referring to this part of what you said, which you clearly failed to realize: "it's physically impossible for me to comprehend why anyone would like it anymore." Here you say that One Piece is not worthy of being liked by anyone, and that's where you didn't follow the question of this discussion. I get people not liking it, but saying that you can't physically comprehend why ANYONE would like it anymore goes against your reply. FYI, no one can "physically" comprehend anything, as comprehension is a mental ability (just saying).
P.S. I was not mad in my previous reply to you. I just gave a sarcastic remark.

バンの一味
Jul 31, 2020 1:58 PM
Jul 2017
I think a lot of people love Neon Genesis Evangelion but I hate it with a passion honestly
Jul 31, 2020 2:00 PM

Mar 2020
Your Name, the utter most garbage thing I have ever witnessed have a score of more than a 9
yum riceballs

i just want a baccano! season 2
Jul 31, 2020 2:41 PM

Jul 2019
How do people actually like Nichijou and My Hero. Nichijou was so unfunny to the point where I started to hate it and My Hero, how do y'all even like that garbage. The characters are annoying and cringy as hell. The plot is actually decent but the characters are just the biggest turn-off.
Jul 31, 2020 2:47 PM

Jun 2020
Adiman3465 said:
I think a lot of people love Neon Genesis Evangelion but I hate it with a passion honestly
The show is notoriously controversial. I love it, you hate it, we're a perfect representation of the duality.
Jul 31, 2020 2:48 PM

Jun 2020
Darling in the Franxx. Horrible writing.
Jul 31, 2020 3:00 PM

Aug 2018
Hyouka, Little Busters!, Blend S, and Gabriel Droupout are the most boring shit that people seem to love, i have no clue how.

Jul 31, 2020 3:00 PM

Jul 2019
AnnualStorm said:
I wish someone can explain to me why they liked Angel Beats!. The plot and characters were both a mess. The comedy and the sad backstories were also extremely average.

some of the backstories were sad. The ones in the beginning I didn't care for but after Yui's backstorty, the others just hit as hard or harder. But I do agree with the comedy being average or even below average
Jul 31, 2020 4:01 PM
Jul 2020
I know that there are a lot of people that love Haikyu!!, and that they’re sad because the manga ended. But for me, the show just isn’t that interesting for me.
Jul 31, 2020 4:02 PM

Jul 2016
Devilman: Crybaby

I didn't like it at all, but I see why people like it
"This little girl, who's not even half my size... taught me that tears can flow even from these silver eyes." - Teresa
Jul 31, 2020 4:02 PM
Jul 2020
allBrawNnoBrains said:
Darling in the Franxx. Horrible writing.

I agree with this one. It’s too slow and it made me bored.
Jul 31, 2020 4:49 PM
Jul 2019
BerZzzerk said:
Max1mumWeeb69 said:

The title of this discussion post is "Anime everyone seems to love but you hate?". Why the fuck are you getting mad over me answering that question? Getting mad over criticism of something you like more likely indicates that you don't like opposing opinions.

HAHAHAHAAHAHA ~ sorry, had to get that out of my system. I was referring to this part of what you said, which you clearly failed to realize: "it's physically impossible for me to comprehend why anyone would like it anymore." Here you say that One Piece is not worthy of being liked by anyone, and that's where you didn't follow the question of this discussion. I get people not liking it, but saying that you can't physically comprehend why ANYONE would like it anymore goes against your reply. FYI, no one can "physically" comprehend anything, as comprehension is a mental ability (just saying).
P.S. I was not mad in my previous reply to you. I just gave a sarcastic remark.

Bruh ok. Guess I should've phrased it a different way.
Jul 31, 2020 5:11 PM

Nov 2017
attack on titan just ain't my cup of tea
𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐎𝐑𝐎𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐄𝐍

romance, slice of life, shounen

currently listening to:
Jul 31, 2020 5:17 PM

Jul 2020
I don't like hate things, because I'm trying to love all anime fans, as I am one myself. But if I had to list an anime I hate and everyone else loves, it would probably be Legend of the Marine Snow. It just didnt click with me, generation gap mayyybee? Idk :( :(
Jul 31, 2020 5:20 PM

Jul 2020
allBrawNnoBrains said:
Adiman3465 said:
The show is notoriously controversial. I love it, you hate it, we're a perfect representation of the duality.

I do not understand why you dont like evangelion so much, its one of my favorites. its a really intelligent show a lot of people just don't get. if you want to send me a friend request, maybe we could discuss this in more detail.
Jul 31, 2020 5:31 PM

Jun 2020
MourningDreamer said:
allBrawNnoBrains said:

I do not understand why you dont like evangelion so much, its one of my favorites. its a really intelligent show a lot of people just don't get. if you want to send me a friend request, maybe we could discuss this in more detail.
This is why people don't like it, don't you see? Whether someone likes it is largely attributed to the level of connection they have with the show and its philosophies. If the show doesn't resonate with someone, they won't like it. Evangelion is a show that emphasizes meaning over plot, commentary over clarity.

Evangelion isn't an intelligent show. It's a meaningful one. It's not super smart, it's super well written. But just because someone else doesn't see it that way doesn't mean they don't get it, it just means they failed to connect with it and/or didn't appreciate the way the show is structured. That's perfectly fine, and we shouldn't chastise them for it. Opinions differ. Telling people off for disliking it makes you, and by association, the Eva fanbase, seem pretentious. I'm sure you don't want that.
Jul 31, 2020 5:43 PM

Jul 2020
allBrawNnoBrains said:
MourningDreamer said:

This is why people don't like it, don't you see? Whether someone likes it is largely attributed to the level of connection they have with the show and its philosophies. If the show doesn't resonate with someone, they won't like it. Evangelion is a show that emphasizes meaning over plot, commentary over clarity.

Evangelion isn't an intelligent show. It's a meaningful one. It's not super smart, it's super well written. But just because someone else doesn't see it that way doesn't mean they don't get it, it just means they failed to connect with it and/or didn't appreciate the way the show is structured. That's perfectly fine, and we shouldn't chastise them for it. Opinions differ. Telling people off for disliking it makes you, and by association, the Eva fanbase, seem pretentious. I'm sure you don't want that.

First of all, I just want to say thank you so much for responding to my post. you are my first responder! Im just excited to be here and share my love of anime with everyone! The last thing i want is to sound pretentious. I guess its just hard for me to accept the fact someone else doesnt think its an intelligent show. But as you say, the show is not for everyone i suppose. if you dont think evangelion is an intelligent show, could you give an example of what you think is? i just want to learn and understand people.
Jul 31, 2020 5:46 PM

Nov 2013
Hate's a pretty strong word. I can only think of one series like that right now:

Re:Zero.

I legitimately find the writing abhorrent, especially the characters, the character designs super bland, and the world uninteresting at best. But the one thing that makes this show such a hate-able show to me is the inconsistent-to-the point-where-he-seems-bipolar protagonist which the anime centers around on.

Which is weird since most people seem to see it as emotional impactful and its the hottest anime of this season. I dont even hate shows I have on my list completed with low scores. Not even something like SAO.
DGemuJul 31, 2020 5:52 PM
Jul 31, 2020 5:47 PM

Jun 2020
MourningDreamer said:
allBrawNnoBrains said:

First of all, I just want to say thank you so much for responding to my post. you are my first responder! Im just excited to be here and share my love of anime with everyone! The last thing i want is to sound pretentious. I guess its just hard for me to accept the fact someone else doesnt think its an intelligent show. But as you say, the show is not for everyone i suppose. if you dont think evangelion is an intelligent show, could you give an example of what you think is? i just want to learn and understand people.
You misunderstood me, pal. I like Evangelion. I'm just saying you shouldn't assume people who don't like eva just failed to understand it. That's the type of thinking that gives the Eva fandom a bad rap.
Jul 31, 2020 5:59 PM

Aug 2018
GrandEgotist said:
grotesia said:
i mean....literally every post 90s anime

You've only seen like 6 though. So you hate the 6 that you've seen?

i avoid putting bad anime on my list...
Jul 31, 2020 6:03 PM

Jul 2020
allBrawNnoBrains said:
MourningDreamer said:

You misunderstood me, pal. I like Evangelion. I'm just saying you shouldn't assume people who don't like eva just failed to understand it. That's the type of thinking that gives the Eva fandom a bad rap.

Ok, i think i see what your saying. i dont want you to assume that i assume people are stupid for not liking evangelion. i was not trying to say that at all and i am so sorry if i made you feel dumb. I enjoy talking with you, you have good opinions and good explanations.
Jul 31, 2020 6:05 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It feels like I hate or atleast dislike a majority of the beloved anime out there.
Jul 31, 2020 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
Elfen Lied
Another
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Tokyo Ghoul
Ouran Host Club (Dropped after 20 eps)

Honestly, aside from maybe Elfen Lied I don't actually hate any of these. I just wouldn't call them good at all.
Jul 31, 2020 6:45 PM

Oct 2018
Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Sword Art Online, Fate/Stay Night, Violet Evergarden, Beastars... all terrible... all very high scores
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Jul 31, 2020 7:02 PM

Jun 2019
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
Mushishi - I can tolerate dead slow plot progression, but only it's actually progressing towards something. I can tolerate dry, bland, emotionless characters, but only if there's character development and investment into other side characters. Mushishi has neither. Plot is both slow and stagnant; MC is both dry and stagnant; and side characters only last one episode. Natsume Yuujinchou is also an episodic series, and has similar concept material, but is far much more enjoyable imo. The story is slow, but has a purpose and direction in mind; the MC changes over time; and side characters make recurring appearances often who have their own developments and influences.

Granted, I'm only currently on the fourth season of Natsume Yuujinchou (though I've seen all of Mushishi - it was my third anime series fully completed), but I think there's a huge difference and find it funny that they're often compared because even if both are technically iyashikei, Mushishi is more of a pure experimental type of iyashikei and Natsume is a lot more story-driven, with more drama, comedy, and characterization. Other than both having an iyashikei tag and dealing with a male character encountering some form of unusual or extrasensory phenomena every episode (with Natsume centering more on youkai and the mushi in Mushishi being presented as more biology-based and an extension of the natural world like microbial life), the story and how it's approached seems radically different.

It's actually amazing how two series can have one major superficial point of comparison and be so commonly recommended alongside one another, but the viewing experience is completely different and the shows from the first episode just feel nothing alike.

Mushishi is much more about the pure iyashikei, creating a very tranquil pure sensory experience with no intricate attachment to plot points and characters which carry across episodes and also more episodic, resetting the clock with each episode (even though there is at least one other recurring character besides Ginko). Natsume will place its character relationships, scares, laughs, and melancholy and emotional or heartwarming scenes over pure relaxing immersion.

Mushishi is the more radical departure from a more standard anime (not saying that makes it better or worse - it's all preference-based).
WatchTillTandavaJul 31, 2020 7:07 PM
Jul 31, 2020 7:18 PM
Aug 2018
shingeki no kyojin and katanagatari
Jul 31, 2020 7:22 PM
Jun 2013
Demon Slayer.

Great animation, shit story.
Jul 31, 2020 7:34 PM

Jun 2019
T3NLTD said:
Elfen Lied

Does this really qualify and fit the description of "anime everyone seems to love, but you hate"? from the thread topic title? Really? Because I find that difficult to comprehend when it seems like 99 out of 100 comments posted on MAL and elsewhere in the past 10 years I read about it are negative. That's seems like it's been the default most vocalized popular opinion for a while now, lambasting the show for alleged shock violence and nudity, the main character, the characters' actions, portraying too cruel a world, being "edgy" or "pretentious" and on and on. That's all I hear about it online these days. I definitely don't think it's nearly universally beloved or acclaimed. It's at the very best extremely divisive and in recent years I rarely ever see an instance of it being brought up without someone having something negative to say about it.

At this point I would just as soon nominate it for a selection as "Anime everyone else seems to hate that you love" rather than the reverse.
WatchTillTandavaJul 31, 2020 7:37 PM
Jul 31, 2020 7:38 PM

Dec 2015
grotesia said:

I find that remarkably hard to believe.
Dropping your favorite show
Jul 31, 2020 7:39 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
T3NLTD said:
Elfen Lied

Does this really qualify and fit the description of "anime everyone seems to love, but you hate"? from the thread topic title? Really? Because I find that difficult to comprehend when it seems like 99 out of 100 comments posted on MAL and elsewhere in the past 10 years I read about it are negative. That's seems like it's been the default most vocalized popular opinion for a while now, lambasting the show for alleged shock violence and nudity, the main character, the characters' actions, portraying too cruel a world, being "edgy" or "pretentious" and on and on. That's all I hear about it online these days. I definitely don't think it's nearly universally beloved or acclaimed. It's at the very best extremely divisive and in recent years I rarely ever see an instance of it being brought up without someone having something negative to say about it.

At this point I would just as soon nominate it for a selection as "Anime everyone else seems to hate that you love" rather than the reverse.
With the current reputation it's pretty crazy to think it used to be in the top 15th highest rated here on MAL.
RoevhaalJul 31, 2020 7:44 PM
Jul 31, 2020 7:44 PM

Dec 2019
I dont understand the monogatari animes at all like i litterly dont know what goes on sometimes and its pretty boring
Jul 31, 2020 8:14 PM

Aug 2018
GrandEgotist said:
grotesia said:

are you referring to a certain anime? that's a bold move for a someone who reads ijiranaide nagatoro-san
Jul 31, 2020 8:26 PM

Dec 2015
grotesia said:
GrandEgotist said:

are you referring to a certain anime? that's a bold move for a someone who reads ijiranaide nagatoro-san

Nah I mean you have Haibane Renmei on your list and you gave it a 1, so you obviously put some anime you think are bad on your list. Most of your scores I actually agree with, though original MSG is nowhere near a 9.

Sometimes all it takes to enjoy something is 'cute girl'.
Jul 31, 2020 8:57 PM

Aug 2018
GrandEgotist said:
grotesia said:

Nah I mean you have Haibane Renmei on your list and you gave it a 1, so you obviously put some anime you think are bad on your list. Most of your scores I actually agree with, though original MSG is nowhere near a 9.

haibane renmei is there cause i still have some respect for it and feel the need to share my rating with other people
Jul 31, 2020 9:16 PM

Dec 2015
grotesia said:
GrandEgotist said:

haibane renmei is there cause i still have some respect for it and feel the need to share my rating with other people

Unless you're like, physically repulsed by anything that isn't cel animation, I can't think of any reason why you'd hate every single post-90s anime other than that you haven't seen any. There aren't any totally ubiquitous characteristics that bind such an arbitrary selection of two decades together to make them worthy of so much spite. It's not like your taste is defined by nostalgia for 80s and 90s anime, you're younger than every single anime on your list.
Jul 31, 2020 9:43 PM

Aug 2018
GrandEgotist said:
grotesia said:

Unless you're like, physically repulsed by anything that isn't cel animation, I can't think of any reason why you'd hate every single post-90s anime other than that you haven't seen any. There aren't any totally ubiquitous characteristics that bind such an arbitrary selection of two decades together to make them worthy of so much spite. It's not like your taste is defined by nostalgia for 80s and 90s anime, you're younger than every single anime on your list.

actually, i am physically repulsed by anything that isn't cel animation. you've guessed right
Jul 31, 2020 10:02 PM

Aug 2018
GrandEgotist said:
grotesia said:

sorry but is your hentai account ironic?
Jul 31, 2020 10:12 PM
Apr 2020
i really disliked YLIA it was so slow and the characters personalities were flat and one note. i really didn't get the hype of dr stone and everyone saying it was gonna be part of the "new big three" , honestly the manga was just better in every way.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What do you think of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli?

Psychku - Today

48 by MichaelJackson »»
37 seconds ago

» What is the difference

Ntr_is_a_sin - Apr 10, 2021

9 by APolygons2 »»
10 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9184 by DROO7 »»
30 minutes ago

» Why do people think Fate is impossible to get into?

Psychku - 7 hours ago

23 by mawgi »»
35 minutes ago

» How would you describe the Mary Sue characters and how would you like them? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Jun 28

53 by APolygons2 »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.