Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2020 8:12 PM
Nov 2019
This is definitely not an AOT ripoff, if you guys still say it then AOT is a EVA ripoff and so any new post apocalyptic anime is a ripoff? This is also not a SAO ripoff, there are no full dive things like that. The aliens are like playing a game using a console for example PlayStation or Xbox. If you still insist that this is a SAO ripoff then new video game anime are ripoffs?. The closest similarity I could think off is Darling in the Franxxx.
Jul 15, 2020 8:25 PM

Aug 2019
wow ok, this episode definietly had me scratching my head. Felt like i watched a fucking stellar action movie last episode, then hit my fucking head walking out and had the weirdest fever dream i could imagine. Not saying i didn't like it, it definitely...spiced things up?
So trying to fucking decipher wtf is happening, basically a bunch of robo aliens took(????) our world and are using it as a live playing field, with humans as playable characters? These small robo "things" are kinda like the players while certain humans are the avatars, rest of the humans are humans? Maybe with like a monitoring chip in them to make them more obedient?
Also linking the dots my guess is, Natsume is registered "Dead" in the system due to what happened at the start of the anime. She received a very fatal wound, so bad that the system rendered her dead beyond anything. Jokes on them she lived bitch, she might be the only one who could save humans from wtf ever is happening, thank God she isn't dense.... oh. oh no. The future of humanity might rest on her shoulders? Oh god help us xD
I'll be damned though, i was expecting a twist in this story, but not one so.... odd. i won't lie, certain scenes with chibi Kaburagi acting all serious and stonic are kinda funny and cute and i forget he's talking about a serious topic.
Jul 15, 2020 8:32 PM

May 2020
WOW big plot twist in this episode. It explained a lot about the chips and why Kaburagi could fight. It also opened the new mystery of the system and who it might be. I was not expecting something like this to happen. Though it was a shock, I thought the game was described pretty well. I'm still confused about Natsume and the humans though, and what the "bug collection" is. I hope it gets explained clearer in future episodes.

During the first episode I was interested but worried the show would become too predictable. The second episode proved that thought wrong and I'm super excited to see how the series proceeds.
Jul 15, 2020 8:38 PM
Jul 2019
This kept my eyebrows up.

A "Westworld Animated". I will keep watching it. Just to see what comes out of it.
Jul 15, 2020 8:40 PM
Aug 2016
jaw dropped for the entire episode. what the hell am i watching? i don't get it. they just throw this bunch of new information unrelated and different from what has been established in the previous episode. what bridges between the two episodes is just that ads for game like thing. the admin and his 'cute' floating droid explanation isn't helping either. so now we just have to accept that the near-extinct species (human) are somehow embedded with chips, and those who are threat to the cartoonish species are considered as "bug".

Man, the first episode really good at explaining what's going on. and this is like the opposite of it. i guess natsume being not detected in the system is because her "chip" fell at the first episode flashback?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2020 9:19 PM

Jul 2017
Did anyone else catch the easter egg of Penny and Leslie from The Amazing World of Gumball in episode two? That was really neat!

I had a hard time understanding what was going on at first, but I caught up to speed pretty quickly. Episode three seems to be when the plot will really start going and that's pretty exciting imho. I don't understand why so many people last episode were saying it was too predictable and now they're saying it's too weird. They've been pretty critical of the art in the first half as well. I think it's really cool, and kinda retro! Unique art styles are what drew me to anime to begin with, and it's a good way to differentiate the two worlds.
Jul 15, 2020 9:21 PM
Mar 2017
wtf is this disney park kind of shit, first episode excelent, second episode, totally disappointed
Jul 15, 2020 9:31 PM

Jul 2016
Well... I now guess people who called this anime an AoT rip-off will finally shut up. But seriously, what's with this curious twist? I mean, I said last episode I hoped this series to find its own path but this "real simulation e-sport" outcome wasn't what I had in mind.

As many other people already said, the aliens' design is really off-putting and jarring so the tension between serious scenes is almost non-existent but let's see if I can get used to it at some point.
I wonder what happen when these aliens "stop playing" tho. Does Kaburagi's avatar just go NPC mode or something? Also, are all Gears just aliens playing? Because Natsume almost found out about that skins store.

Anyways, I don't know what to think about this episode yet. Honestly, it left me feeling quite cold but maybe it was because of the overwhelming info-dump we got. Hopefully, upcoming episodes will be more engaging.
Jul 15, 2020 9:34 PM

Feb 2020
I dont really have problems with the whole world being a game. The only thing that bothers me is that the players being weird cartoonish people. Honestly, they could've designed the playes differently to attract more audiences. Dont know if I'm going to continue or drop it.
p = d/dt m * v
Jul 15, 2020 10:32 PM

Mar 2010
Seriously why such a cartoony look. No thank you if this is going to be part of the next 10 episodes.
StardewJul 15, 2020 10:35 PM
Jul 15, 2020 11:05 PM
Apr 2018
This is the biggest "wtf" this year, not because it's bad. Actually, the twist somewhat made the show 10x more interesting.
Jul 15, 2020 11:43 PM

Sep 2012
Now, this got 100 times more intriguing.
I don't get people dropping. Because it is not what you expected? Isn't that the whole point of aesthetic artifacts - to present something new?
Jul 15, 2020 11:56 PM

Dec 2015
Farabeuf said:
NenharmaTheGreat said:
I was really excited for this anime, but the avatar thing kind of killed it for me. I'm gonna keep watching but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as I thought I would of after seeing the first episode.

Why do creators always think that making a mysterious story with a big twist is better? Sometimes a straight story, well executed and with solid voice acting is just as good if not better.

Let's see... "It's another Attack on Titan Ripoff!"
Jul 15, 2020 11:57 PM
Oct 2019
Those robot looking people remind me of mixels
Jul 16, 2020 12:03 AM

Dec 2015
Wow this is the most controversial episode I've seen, probably ever. Personally it's by far my favorite show of this season, but guess not for everyone huh... Perhaps we've had too many generic shows with mundane plot, that a mere plot twist is enough to throw people off.
Jul 16, 2020 12:13 AM

Mar 2019
This is getting weird, confusing but much more interesting...

I Hope the plot twist becomes worthy of watching...

Also... NATSUME reminds me all the time a combinaton of AKKO (Little Witch Academia) + KASUZA (Maidens of the Savage)...

And her friend.. Fei, reminds me Momoko (Maidens of the Savage)

PS: Now that im remembering Little Witch Academia, I miss my Sucy Manbavaran<3
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jul 16, 2020 12:20 AM
Apr 2018
Ah bro ... Oo, I was so hyped with the first episode, but what I felt now was immense frustration. I was halfway through the episode waiting for an explanation, like someone playing a game... but apparently this is real.

I've read the theories, but it's hard. For me, the studio can exchange this animation of those robots/aliens, or whatever the fuck they are. We pretend it was all a collective hallucination and move on.

I am very discouraged.

[PT-BR]

Ah mano...Oo, eu hypei demais com o primeiro episódio, mas o que eu senti agora foi uma imensa frustração. Fiquei metade do episódio esperando uma explicação, como alguém jogando um jogo..., mas ao que parece é real.

Já li as teorias, mas tá hard. Por mim, o studio pode trocar essa animação desses robôs/aliens, ou sei lá o que essas porras são. A gente finge que foi tudo uma alucinação coletiva e segue o baile.

Desanimei violentamente.
gabrielviannasrJul 16, 2020 12:25 AM
Jul 16, 2020 12:24 AM

Feb 2015
Saiklo said:
moodie said:
>lowered stakes

so you pretty much didnt understand anything about this episode huh? nor what it would obviously foreshadow

For real. These kinds of people have the attention span of a 4 year old. The show literally tells you that its not virtual and shows you that they straight up kill the robots too if they underperform.

I've watched over 600 shows, I think I know what I like and don't like. The story doesn't intrest me, so why should I continue watching it?
Jul 16, 2020 12:28 AM

Oct 2010
I'm fucking in bro. Like the first episode was super dope and looked like a cool anime, but after this episode there's so much more questions. like is this reverse avatar where aliens are controlling humans or something? it's so weird and i'm way more intrigued on the concept. Will the alien robot thingies realize that they're controlling people with emotions and shit. like they made it clear in this episode that the warriors that died had families and it's all tragic. like do the robot aliens know it's more than just a game? i'm shooketh
Jul 16, 2020 12:31 AM
Mar 2011
Crashmatt said:

I've watched over 600 shows, I think I know what I like and don't like. The story doesn't intrest me, so why should I continue watching it?

You misunderstand. We are commenting on your inability to comprehend something that is spoonfed to you, not that you dropped the show.
Jul 16, 2020 12:42 AM

Jul 2014
Quinjao said:
alhiris said:
Wait what? So basically they managed to program that world, basically a full dive VR and that's how they have to solve the bugs? I find that kinda funny, I mean those guys made AGI and can't make an AI to handle bugs, seems legit.

Also this kinda plot twist is what I totally didn't expect, I feel like it went down in my own rating/expectations but maybe it'll turn out to be amazing.

It's not VR, it's all real, the humans and robots are physical beings. But the consciousness of the robots that live outside the dome is transferred to the bodies of the avatars (probably artificially created)

I was so used to full-dive VR stuffs, that I assumed it's a VR. Now the anime's world improved by a lot cause it actually makes sense, lul.
Jul 16, 2020 1:03 AM

Aug 2012
Pretty dystopian future. Human are chipped , those that escape being chipped or resist the chip control must be killed and the world is ruled by what I am assume are people that transferred their conscience inside machines and use humans as avatar in a game basically taking control of them from time to time. Good show.
KaiZenKDP said:
If anyone actually understands what just happened please fill me in lmao. I feel like I just watched a completely different show and I have no idea what's going on.

Most humans are controlled through the chips by those creatures we saw today. They consider all this to be a virtual game so many do not care about what happens to the "avatars". I am guessing the creatures were once humans and they transferred their conscience to machines
Skarvalin said:
Some seem to think this is a virtual world which they explained in the beginning that it wasn't.

I guess the humans made the A.I do the job of fighting the gadolls for them by making them see it as entertainment, and if they don't do well they get replaced. Meanwhile the humans assist them in safety. Would certainly be helpful since the population is so small. The bugs are troublemakers or something and the chips are there to keep them and others in check.

That or the A.I/aliens came from space and created Deca-dence for the last remaining humans and chose to fight against the gadolls for entertainment. They then control the humans via a chip and use them for support. I think this one makes more sense.

I'm happy that they decided to make the story more original but it was a pretty bold move to make it like this. Very interesting direction to take but confusing if you don't pay attention.

you are wrong, the ones doing the fighting are real humans... the ones in control are no longer humans by the strict definition of the term.
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
WTF? Who could've expected such twist?
I felt such disappointment at the beginning that i nearly quit right away.
Avatars...games...points...wtf? This is not what i signed up for!
Or at least that's how i felt till the end where things got intriguing again.

What we Know or can speculate on:

1)What we saw in episode 1, the war, the fighting, it's real - but not for everybody!!! The Earth really is in ruin, but there is some "outer" force that is in control of everything.

2)Monsters are/have to be real, since, whoever's in control needs their blood or fuel or whatever; plus these monsters can kill REAL humans. (more on this below)

3)There are "players" who may or may not be actual humans. They can "die" while fighting the monsters, but they can "respawn" instead of actually dying - meaning their physical bodies are probably somewhere else; It's possible that they're "plugged" to some VR-like devices for "eternity" and in order not to die, they do ranking battles, kill monsters and fuel their avatars. Some seem to be working willingly for the company, and some are forced to do this job in order to survive, or perhaps that's simply their ordinary job, but most do it for entertainment as we're told from the start. They may be aliens, AI, or enslaved humans - or maybe all of them combined!!!

4)The male MC - Kaburagi - is apparently not REAL human (maybe he was once, but no longer), meaning if he dies outside Deca-Dence - he can simply get a different body made of flesh and bones, a new name and start over - unless they refuse not to and get "scrapped" and die for real (meaning their physical bodies - wherever they are - die from fatigue perhaps - after no longer receiving fuel). Just like this male MC, there are many similar FAKE humans, who walk among REAL humans.

5)There are REAL humans - made of flesh and blood, just like MC girl - Natsume. Real humans are said to be endangered species - and, apparently they are even fewer in numbers than it seems (since, as we figured out, many humans are FAKE like Kaburagi, and pretend to be real humans for various reasons). The REAL humans apparently DON'T know about FAKE humans, and will die, or - get hurt for good in battles - since that's how real life works, duh...! Meanwhile, FAKE humans respawn and don't even feel pain (unless they use cheat-code apparently).
The REAL humans seem to be just as naive as we were after seeing the first episode - thinking that humans are fighting monsters and that's the whole story. They also seem to have CHIPS in them and are monitored by AI or aliens or whoever's in charge - meaning, humans are slaves just like in the Matrix. Though for some reason, this "alien" organization preserves whatever's left of mankind - Meaning - a)they don't want us to go extinct, b)are unable to do certain things without us, c)believe that this entire charade is essential for the survival of human race (hiding the truth is part of it since many would not accept it; rebel against it' cause chaos and unrest - after all, Deca-Dence is relatively safe place).
If these humans find out "the truth", or go against the system - they get killed off, though our MC is exception since she apparently has no chip and system considers her DEAD - though i'm curious how this wasn't found out before??? - Though i'm sure we'll find that out once they explain how she survived after her hand was amputated.

I think, that's it...for now...

They do not respawn. Other people get born and if the system finds them fit to join the force they are turned into avatars.
nightcrawlercypJul 16, 2020 1:11 AM
Jul 16, 2020 1:17 AM

Jan 2019
oh nooooo!!! i dont like this show anymore :((((
Jul 16, 2020 1:24 AM
May 2014
This is how you make people drop your anime lol
Jul 16, 2020 1:27 AM
May 2013
shitt cgi, shit plottwist, shit character, shit boring life.
this anime makes DARLING in the FRANXX so much better
Jul 16, 2020 1:36 AM
May 2020
to all the people how dropped this show, im really so sorry but yall can go back to whatever mainstream shit youre watching

i find the (pre-twist) premise already interesting, and the twist made me interested even more. honestly holding this in high regard right now, ive never seen a show that puts its plot twist in the 2nd episode but still further shows a narrative that leaves questions (like, what's the deal with the company and why are they doing this)

i also love how the deca-dence facility has different forms for attack (as shown in episode 1)

i also found the gears/avatars quite cute. i love the mix of a serious storyline with innocent/childish visuals. maybe that puts people off. but whatever, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. maybe i just like weird stuff.
Jul 16, 2020 1:36 AM

Nov 2011
Gotta admit, this is one of the best twists i've seen in a long time. Really hope they execute it well.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 16, 2020 1:38 AM

Nov 2019
From a generic show to an interesting show, cool twist
Jul 16, 2020 2:10 AM

Oct 2013
Uh, yea, I don't know what to think about this anime now. It feels like they lied to us OMEGALUL. I'll keep watching

EDIT: yea, finished ep 2, I loved it. It's feels like I got cucked and I liked it
HueBrDeusJul 16, 2020 2:25 AM
Jul 16, 2020 2:39 AM

Jan 2015
Wtf? Lmao that plot twist is not it 😭
Anyway, got more interesting in the second half
Jul 16, 2020 2:50 AM
May 2016
Cdynamo said:
Ok, I didn't expect that in the slightest. In some weird way, I actually think this makes the show 10x interesting. The world has a lot more mystery to it, the whole bug thing with Natsume is interesting and I want to see who's an alien controlling an avatar or whatnot because there may be more aliens passing off as humans like Kabu.

There is that Minato guy too(I think,at least).He is heard when Kaburagi talks with the ranker team in his flashbacks
Jul 16, 2020 3:02 AM
Mar 2020
I am in the party which thinks it is interesting.

Also, I would agree with people calling it something like the Matrix but I believe it is a mix of matrix (because they go inside a simulation) and the concept of Avatar where real humans could take the body of the people of Na'Vi and later the main character even transforms into one.

And SAO: Alicization has a very loosely related concept where the fluctlights are treated as real humans so I don't know why people are being thrown off as being hit by a brick wall.
Jul 16, 2020 3:04 AM

Jul 2010
It's baffling how many of you don't understand what's going on. Dropping it because you can't comprehend such a simple concept..

Stick to your slice of life shows, guys.
Jul 16, 2020 3:10 AM

Dec 2018
The story reminds me a bit of Westworld

Jul 16, 2020 3:23 AM

Oct 2018
alhiris said:
Quinjao said:

It's not VR, it's all real, the humans and robots are physical beings. But the consciousness of the robots that live outside the dome is transferred to the bodies of the avatars (probably artificially created)

I was so used to full-dive VR stuffs, that I assumed it's a VR. Now the anime's world improved by a lot cause it actually makes sense, lul.

Yeah I agree, it would be dull and generic If it was just a virtual simulation, the game being played in real life put the characters in another level of danger
Jul 16, 2020 4:16 AM
Jul 2020
BradyLE__ said:
The whole avatar thing had me confused and I almost lost interest, but the episode wrapped it all together very well.

Didn’t feel the AoT vibes as much as people warned (no where near as much as Kabaneri had). Definitely gonna continue to keep my eye on this one and maybe even watch it during its midnight releases.

Swears! I was confused too, I really love the show
Jul 16, 2020 4:47 AM

Jun 2019
Oritsemisan said:
BradyLE__ said:
The whole avatar thing had me confused and I almost lost interest, but the episode wrapped it all together very well.

Didn’t feel the AoT vibes as much as people warned (no where near as much as Kabaneri had). Definitely gonna continue to keep my eye on this one and maybe even watch it during its midnight releases.

Swears! I was confused too, I really love the show

EXACTLY! I did not really watch any PV's of this before hand, just really liked the synopsis and it being an original. Then when the robot avatar things came I was so confused, yet it drew me in more to figure out what was going on. Nice twist at the end with the girl being a bug/glitch in the system.

I'll keep watching it and hope it keeps me entertained. Loved all the people saying AoT rip off because it is DEFINETLY not that now.
Jul 16, 2020 5:17 AM
Jul 2020
This is basically reverse isekai lol.
Jul 16, 2020 5:21 AM

Jan 2011
perfect this will be my best anime this season
can't wait for next episode
Jul 16, 2020 6:09 AM

May 2019
This is interesting. The plot twist was, I think, good for the story, but personally, I think it was dropped a little early. If this episode was more focused on characterisation, then the world-building being taken in this direction would have a lot more stakes.

Then again I believe the episode itself was written well, but I still do have a few questions - What exactly IS Kaburagi? At first, I had expected him to be a human that joined The Power (as was foreshadowed in episode 1), but now I'm not so sure; most likely, he's another 'robot' that has his avatar as human-looking because of the nature of his covert-ops job?

We'll see soon enough.
liam0207Jul 16, 2020 6:13 AM

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 16, 2020 6:12 AM

May 2019
Quinjao said:
alhiris said:
Wait what? So basically they managed to program that world, basically a full dive VR and that's how they have to solve the bugs? I find that kinda funny, I mean those guys made AGI and can't make an AI to handle bugs, seems legit.

Also this kinda plot twist is what I totally didn't expect, I feel like it went down in my own rating/expectations but maybe it'll turn out to be amazing.

I see that too, but then I have to wonder, what IS Kaburagi? Because originally I thought he was a human that joined The Power, but I guess his regular human-looking body is an avatar that's made to blend in with the humans?

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 16, 2020 6:26 AM

May 2018
Went from 9/10 to 7/10 after this episode. Hopefully we won't see full episodes with only those avatars
Jul 16, 2020 6:48 AM

Mar 2014
What the hell is this?? Are they seriously think that the "avatar" some how makes sense or are they experimenting us to see how much we can take this sh*t before we drop it !?
RedChromeJul 16, 2020 6:56 AM
Jul 16, 2020 7:21 AM
Aug 2017
Went from being enjoyable if forgettable to being something actually unique.
So the setting is somewhat like Crosscode where it's a "game" for but it it takes place in a physical world only it's a game for another species digital species?
Also they're controlled by some kind of authoritarian system?

They've got me intrigued now, this could become my Anime of the Season easily.
Jul 16, 2020 7:57 AM

Mar 2014
While this episode made this show less generic, I still didn't really enjoy watching it which is why I am dropping it.
Jul 16, 2020 8:00 AM

Jul 2019
Huh? What?

First of all, I like that there is a twist to this. If it had kept going the way it was, I would have dropped this ep.3 for how interchangable it was. However, the avatar world was in it of itself a turnoff. Ugly, childish design and no real storyline in there either.

Then things got interesting with her being a bug, the various levels of interactions/ways 'people' view each other and character chemistry. As is I am clueless how things will develop and how a good, coherent story could be created.

Right now, I would like to know whether there is a 3rd layer with actual humans controlling avatars before the game layer. Or if this is a case of AI gone rogue controlling real humans or an artificial world.
Jul 16, 2020 8:26 AM

Feb 2018
That plot twist was so bad and feels extremely dumb. I don't mind the cartoonish style, the reveal itself is just so unappealing. I'll watch one more ep and probably drop it after. Such a waste of so much potential.
Jul 16, 2020 8:43 AM

Jun 2016
that cartoonish scene so ugly af and dumb !!!

Jul 16, 2020 8:56 AM
May 2014
alhiris said:

Its almost like in our own world when developers make huge video games, there turn out to be huge bugs as well...
Jul 16, 2020 8:59 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
I have so many questions and no answers. Don’t even know what to think about it, completely now what I expected to see. Still will give it a try tho.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.