Forum Settings
Forums

About the scoring system, any preferences ?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 27, 2019 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
RandomFriday said:

The solution I proposed just takes away the pain and responsibility from the user to actually give an anime a score. Well at least I have sometimes trouble to give anime a certain score. You as user just simply order your anime.

That is exactly what I love about it, as inim said the numerical value is calculated not assigned. Also playing the system seems a lot harder.
Jun 27, 2019 10:30 AM
Apr 2013
In my opinion the MAL rating is... okaaaay. Its not perfect, but it works well enough. However, I belong to the (from what read here at least) mayority, who wants a way to give more precise scores. I don't really mind if its decimals or percentage, I mean 97%=9.7, who cares about the units used? But I definiely NEED some kind of decimals. For example in this/last season I had like Fruits Basket (2019) with story 7/10, art 7/10, sound 8/10, char 8/10, enjoy 8/10, which brings it to a overall score of 7.6, rounded to 8. Well, I probably gonna reevaluate it anyway, but for now, lets go with this example. Right now I can only give 7 or 8, which both isn't kinda what I would like to choose. .5s would work in this case, but imagine a show hich ends up at 7.8 for me. Like... uuh... Goblin Slayer. Also, another advantage would be that I can actually SORT my own list by those decimals. I AM using the Tags for that, but it still is kinda annoying to sort. So well, back to the main topic: I want Decimals, at least. I don't necessarily need like 7.02 or something, but it would be nice to have the option. If we can choose between 1 and 100 or 1.00 and 10.00, those who don't spend much time on their ratings will still just give a random 7.00 or something close to the mean score, but that way we, who actually want to give more precise ratings, have a way to express ourselves.
Jun 27, 2019 10:30 AM

Oct 2014
RandomFriday said:
Lunilah said:
I understand that, but it's like Friday said you still have to introduce a fixed scale eventually. Even if you don't you can still calculate one.

Yes you introduce the fixed scale to analyze and scale ALL trees. But all individual trees of the users do not have any inherent score. The system evaluates your tree and those of all other users and creates a scale - the overall scoring system. You have to visualize the data somehow. The easiest and most understandable way is to have a fixed sclae of scores, like MAL 1-10, or giving 1-5 stars, or having 8 bananas or w/e.

The solution I proposed just takes away the pain and responsibility from the user to actually give an anime a score. Well at least I have sometimes trouble to give anime a certain score. You as user just simply order your anime.
Yeah i get the quality of life/fluidity of it. Essentially it just lets you differentiate more precisely without having to think about it, which is the opposite of people who crave decimals which would require excruciating thought. Just in the end it seems like the exact same thing to me, not actually changing the result, and i don't know if that makes it redundant or not.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 27, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2019
FoxFire75 said:
RandomFriday said:
The solution I proposed just takes away the pain and responsibility from the user to actually give an anime a score.
Also playing the system seems a lot harder.
Just a random additional thought. MAL has something which is relatively close to this, it's the "most favorited" ranking. It doesn't take into account quality, doesn't cover all watcheds etc, fully aware of that. But in some sense it is just like somebody's top ranked movies from her completed set.

Jun 27, 2019 11:06 AM

Apr 2018
I do not know.

The truth is that with the 1-10 MAL Scoring System, I have become accustomed to that style that even in Letterboxd, which uses a system based on the 1-5 stars, I have adapted it to that form based on the way that I tap on MAL.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Jun 27, 2019 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
inim said:
Just a random additional thought. MAL has something which is relatively close to this, it's the "most favorited" ranking. It doesn't take into account quality, doesn't cover all watcheds etc, fully aware of that. But in some sense it is just like somebody's top ranked movies from her completed set.

Does it take ratings into account ? At all ? You could have a lot of users with crappy ( even in their own opinion, with low ratings attached ) shows in favorite lists.
I know I can very much enjoy things that are of dubious quality.
But I get what you mean. My favorites are in order = my 1. on top is my most favorite show, so it's like a lil tree of just 10 select shows, in order.
Jun 27, 2019 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
Here's a good one. Just order the anime from your favorite to least favorite. Give your favorite a 10, least favorite a 1. Then divide the difference (9) by the amount of shows you watched minus 1. That will be the common difference in the arithmetic sequence. Then you can use the general formula an=a1+(n-1)d to find the nth term.

Suppose I watched 100 shows. 9/99~0.09. I want to know my 25th least favorite show. I'll assume an ascending order where the first term is my least favorite show which is rated 1. Then use the formula.

a25=a1+24d
a25=1+24*0.09
a25=3.16

Of course if you want you can make it a 0-10 scale too, I just like 1-10 more.
Auron_Jun 27, 2019 1:38 PM
Jun 27, 2019 4:26 PM

Jul 2016
sunsetocean said:
Optigisa said:

There is a site called Mydramalist? I have to see this for myself

yeah that site's for Asian dramas/movies. I just watch mostly k-dramas though, they take up more time than watching anime (usually 1 hr per episode)
the longest I've seen was 1 hr 50 min for some Thai dramas lmao

Nice, are they subbed or something? Are there some that are dubbed over? Just curious of course.
Jun 27, 2019 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
I like the current system, however I would change the intervals to .5s; e.g. I could rate an anime 8.5. Although it's technically the same as a score out of 100, I simply prefer 1 - 10 score system astheticall.
Jun 27, 2019 6:46 PM

Sep 2014
Optigisa said:
sunsetocean said:

yeah that site's for Asian dramas/movies. I just watch mostly k-dramas though, they take up more time than watching anime (usually 1 hr per episode)
the longest I've seen was 1 hr 50 min for some Thai dramas lmao

Nice, are they subbed or something? Are there some that are dubbed over? Just curious of course.

the dramas? yeah there are subtitles, same reason why anime is subbed (for international viewers) depends where you watch them they're subbed in different languages on Viki, but only english subs for the pirated sites

I've seen some Korean/Japanese movies dubbed in English (on dvd) like the live action movies of Death Note/Rurouni Kenshin got English dubs
some dramas get dubbed in other languages too since some countries like to dub over other countries' dramas in their native languages, but I think watching with the original actors' voices is better. (although I still watch dubbed anime lol)

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jun 27, 2019 9:11 PM

Jan 2019
I think a 1-10 rating system works fine, 1-5 stars would feel restricting and I feel like rating each aspect individually is overcomplicating things a bit.

What I would like to see implemented is the customisable rating system that RateYourMusic uses. RYM essentially uses a 1-10 system, but on your profile you are able to add a short note to what each numerical rating means to you which shows up on your rating for a release.

For example someone's rating system could look like:
10 - Masterpiece
9 - All-time favourite
8 - Really good
etc

Everyone uses the 1-10 scale differently, and it annoys me when I see people that seem to assume everyone rates things the same way they do in "why are your scores so negative/positive/etc?"-type posts. I feel like RYM's system allows users to use the scale however they want and justify how they use it to everyone else, it also lets people be creative/funny with their scores. Imo this is the ideal rating system. Another aspect of RYM I would like to see on MAL is the ability to make custom lists.
Jun 27, 2019 9:15 PM

Aug 2015
HohoVFX said:
I think a 1-10 rating system works fine, 1-5 stars would feel restricting and I feel like rating each aspect individually is overcomplicating things a bit.

What I would like to see implemented is the customisable rating system that RateYourMusic uses. RYM essentially uses a 1-10 system, but on your profile you are able to add a short note to what each numerical rating means to you which shows up on your rating for a release.

For example someone's rating system could look like:
10 - Masterpiece
9 - All-time favourite
8 - Really good
etc

Everyone uses the 1-10 scale differently, and it annoys me when I see people that seem to assume everyone rates things the same way they do in "why are your scores so negative/positive/etc?"-type posts. I feel like RYM's system allows users to use the scale however they want and justify how they use it to everyone else, it also lets people be creative/funny with their scores. Imo this is the ideal rating system. Another aspect of RYM I would like to see on MAL is the ability to make custom lists.

Actually, quite a lot of people do that here, even I have that on my profile.
It's just a user-made thing, not a feature though.
Jun 27, 2019 9:28 PM

Jan 2019
_9_ said:

Actually, quite a lot of people do that here, even I have that on my profile.
It's just a user-made thing, not a feature though.

That's true actually, I didn't think about that.
Still though, it would be cool to see worked into the site as a feature I think.
Jun 28, 2019 10:39 AM

Jul 2016
sunsetocean said:
Optigisa said:

the dramas? yeah there are subtitles, same reason why anime is subbed (for international viewers) depends where you watch them they're subbed in different languages on Viki, but only english subs for the pirated sites

I've seen some Korean/Japanese movies dubbed in English (on dvd) like the live action movies of Death Note/Rurouni Kenshin got English dubs
some dramas get dubbed in other languages too since some countries like to dub over other countries' dramas in their native languages, but I think watching with the original actors' voices is better. (although I still watch dubbed anime lol)

Yeah it is not wrong to watch dubbed Anime, even though I like both subbed and dubbed. Thanks for the info.
Apr 7, 2020 5:39 AM

Nov 2018
It would be interesting to see a scoring system for characters from 1 to 10 and a character search with genders and different hair colours, I know that there is already most favourited characters but I would love to see that expand a bit more. This might be a bit too much but maybe top rated waifus or husbandos?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Will AI help reduce "crunch time" in the anime industry?

GoatPieceLuffy - Today

10 by PeripheralVision »»
3 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

87 by aanj1n »»
9 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

116 by Gashadokur0 »»
13 minutes ago

» Does Old Anime age poorly or do people age poorly?

Dragevard - 5 hours ago

20 by Subarctic-Forest »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime powers you wish you had

ST63LTH - Yesterday

19 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.