Forum Settings
Forums

Is anyone else bothered by the "I will not kill no matter what" main characters?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 17, 2019 3:45 AM

Aug 2018
It bothered me in Trigun but I like this series anyways.
May 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Dec 2016
Anime never did it all that well anyways. Stick with the likes of The Punisher.

May 17, 2019 4:22 AM

Nov 2017
They suck a$$. They are bad written and like you said they are boring af.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
May 17, 2019 7:27 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
It depends on the character and the anime/manga. While I agree with the statement that they're mostly boring, I also think that they can add some interesting aspects if there's another character who wouldn't be afraid of killing. Of course, there needs to be a character like that in a show for this. If an anime is full of people who don't want to kill, then there's no one to be the opposite pole of.

Personally, I love characters who are good at heart, but don't hesitate to kill an enemy who hurt/killed their friends. Good guys going on a rampage after a loss are superb, but I also enjoy to see some sadistic characters who like to kill for their own excitement.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
May 17, 2019 7:29 AM
Apr 2017
I've played 6 ryu ga gotoku games so no, I'm not bothered by that at all. It *can* be bothersome but it depends on how it's developed.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
May 17, 2019 11:40 AM
May 2019
The problem is that they do the characters to terrible levels, most of the time they dont even have a reason other than "because I wanna be a good guy" or "he can be my friend".

The reason for characters like on trigun or doctor who (examples I saw people commenting on this thread) while they folow the path of no killing, they have reasons for it, both in these two examples the MCs did someone they regret in the past and simply dont want to repeat them again and when facing enemies, they always give chance of surrendering.
But for example, on doctor who, if they accept, the doctor helps them, but if they refuse and keep going their evil deeds, the doctor stops them, even commiting genocide of an entire race to save thousands of races.

The issue is problably how anime is full of teenagers with 6-7 year old minds. They are either extremely immature, to the point where they mature just one tiny itsy bit, it seems like they matured into "adults" already.

This is why I prefer gray/dark characters overrall, they know the repercussions, they went trought difficult times and learned what can happen when good men do nothing, but also they try first the carrot and then the stick.
May 18, 2019 1:51 AM

Jun 2016
It completely depends on the context and I find the best example of a character like this not in anime, but a television series.

Gabrielle, from Xena: Warrior Princess.

At first, completely opposed to fighting, though being around a former warlord and getting attacked daily leads her to learning how to fight defensively. After killing someone by accident (okay, maybe two, one is debatable), she goes the full NO VIOLENCE route and it's cringe and the show is slanted in a way to show how cringe it is because it's impossibly impractical. So she switches to a deadlier defensive weapon (a pair of sai replacing a staff), and will fight willingly, realizing the futility of "the way of peace/love" in a world that doesn't work that way.

The highlight is when she goes full berserker and takes out an entire battalion (they had it coming).
May 18, 2019 5:24 AM

Jan 2019
Killing IS a big decision. You're right about that. Taking a life isn't a small deal, no matter the circumstances and no matter the reasons involved, I imagine doing it will irrevocably change a person, probably for the worse.

I don't hate characters that refuse to kill, as long as they (and their reasons for it) are well written. If it's just some vague "code of honour" thing, well, that's debatable.
CallMeHootMay 18, 2019 7:18 AM
May 18, 2019 5:26 AM

Dec 2016

Yes, it's an annoying trope and one of the biggest reasons why I could never like Edward Elric and Roy Mustang.
May 18, 2019 5:44 AM

May 2015
>Overlord's pfp
>Those favorites
The edge is strong in you
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» ⌛ How many of your top-10 fiction is anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Mar 27, 2022

142 by TheDoodle »»
5 minutes ago

» When and how did you first learn what anime was? (That anime was different from a regular western cartoon)

TheBlockernator - Today

20 by MeguSae38 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

130 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
20 minutes ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots.

Gashadokur0 - 8 hours ago

45 by Gashadokur0 »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Every Character You Have Masturbated To Becomes a Team That Has to Fight Goku, Will They Win?

APolygons2 - Today

16 by FanofAction »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.