Forum Settings
Forums

Why Conservative when you can be Libertarian?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 20, 2017 4:57 PM

May 2010
Mayling said:
Wow, thanks for an in depth answer! Made me understand american politics a lot more, and gave some nuances to the previous image of redneck, Trump-loving conservatives. Although it's very different from my political beliefs and how things work here in my country, it's always interesting to learn:)
Trumps election was largely a free speech movement. In America since Obama had been elected, there had been a greater and greater stress on even regular people using "politically correct" words. It created "PC Culture". It's even the subject of nearly two seasons of South Park.

It's not as if conservatives, or Trump voters, believe in being mean. They simply want to say whatever they want, however they want to. As PC culture grew, the fear that certain terminology could become illegal started to grow, and bill of rights amendment #1 was triggered across America. At this point, when people saw a presidential candidate that literally said whatever he wanted, in whatever manner that he wanted to say it, well... let's just say that from my perspective Trump's victory was sealed as early as his first debate. America was ready for a loose tongued president, and he came right on queue. When "grab her by the pussy" was leaked, it ironically only fueled Trump's fanbase. It made more people who wanted to vote for him. It was supposed to make him drop out, simply because of the terminology he used, as if the president wasn't allowed to have free speech. So people voted with that in mind, not to condone Trump's actions, but to condone Trump's words.
Sep 20, 2017 5:04 PM

May 2013
code said:
I

xLemon said:
All that stuff you'll find on the left, actually.
Actually, the basic concepts are the opposite.
The left is for more government control, taking away freedoms for protection.
Putting laws in place to take away the right to discriminate, for instance.

you've been online too much man, the left embraces socially liberal policies and tends to support alternative lifestyles a lot more than the right does. Gay marriage, women's lib, civil rights... you know, the basics of cultural liberation...
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 20, 2017 5:21 PM

Jun 2015
xLemon said:
code said:
I

Actually, the basic concepts are the opposite.
The left is for more government control, taking away freedoms for protection.
Putting laws in place to take away the right to discriminate, for instance.

you've been online too much man, the left embraces socially liberal policies and tends to support alternative lifestyles a lot more than the right does. Gay marriage, women's lib, civil rights... you know, the basics of cultural liberation...
But how do they achieve this?
Completely different.

Sep 20, 2017 5:34 PM

Mar 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Trump's election was largely a free speech movement.
I lol'd. #justMALthings

code said:
I'll never understand libertarian mindsets.
I think of libertarianism as a myopic focus on individual rights/freedoms, to the exclusion of other important concerns. It's like progressives who have a myopic focus on social justice. Nazis being banned from YouTube is the free speech equivalent of "microagressions", i.e. who gives a shit. Most educated Westerners would agree that both individual rights/freedoms and social justice are worth pursuing, it's a question of relative importance with respect to other concerns.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 20, 2017 6:01 PM

Apr 2012
Thrashinuva said:
Mayling said:
Wow, thanks for an in depth answer! Made me understand american politics a lot more, and gave some nuances to the previous image of redneck, Trump-loving conservatives. Although it's very different from my political beliefs and how things work here in my country, it's always interesting to learn:)
Trumps election was largely a free speech movement. In America since Obama had been elected, there had been a greater and greater stress on even regular people using "politically correct" words. It created "PC Culture". It's even the subject of nearly two seasons of South Park.

It's not as if conservatives, or Trump voters, believe in being mean. They simply want to say whatever they want, however they want to. As PC culture grew, the fear that certain terminology could become illegal started to grow, and bill of rights amendment #1 was triggered across America. At this point, when people saw a presidential candidate that literally said whatever he wanted, in whatever manner that he wanted to say it, well... let's just say that from my perspective Trump's victory was sealed as early as his first debate. America was ready for a loose tongued president, and he came right on queue. When "grab her by the pussy" was leaked, it ironically only fueled Trump's fanbase. It made more people who wanted to vote for him. It was supposed to make him drop out, simply because of the terminology he used, as if the president wasn't allowed to have free speech. So people voted with that in mind, not to condone Trump's actions, but to condone Trump's words.

if that really is the reason people voted for Trump
they probably shouldn't be voting in the first place

that talking point is becoming an empty platitude
being openly vulgar isn't exactly an accomplishment
zzzeallySep 20, 2017 6:06 PM

Sep 20, 2017 6:14 PM

May 2013
code said:
xLemon said:

Completely different.

those are just their platforms.

believe me, if you care about those things then the right isn't going to do much for you. They're tricky man, they seem like they've got it better, but they won't do anything for it.

Just ask Caitlyn Jenner if Trump is nice to Trans people. fun fact he probably fucking isn't.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 20, 2017 6:15 PM

Jul 2017
Why be trash when you can be semi-trash?

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Sep 20, 2017 6:19 PM

Jun 2015
Josh said:
code said:
I'll never understand libertarian mindsets.
I think of libertarianism as a myopic focus on individual rights/freedoms, to the exclusion of other important concerns. It's like progressives who have a myopic focus on social justice. Nazis being banned from YouTube is the free speech equivalent of "microagressions", i.e. who gives a shit. Most educated Westerners would agree that both individual rights/freedoms and social justice are worth pursuing, it's a question of relative importance with respect to other concerns.
Yeah, basically.
The idea though is so silly to me. Freedom is good, yes. But there's a balance.
Too much freedom is actually restricting.

Vicious said:

Nah, dude.
The face of the nation should definitely act like a middle schooler.

Sep 20, 2017 6:21 PM

Jun 2015
xLemon said:
code said:
Completely different.

believe me, if you care about those things then the right isn't going to do much for you. They're tricky man, they seem like they've got it better, but they won't do anything for it.

Just ask Caitlyn Jenner if Trump is nice to Trans people. fun fact he probably fucking isn't.
What are you talking about?
I'm not right leaning.

Actually, I'm not sure what you're saying but I think I like you.

Sep 20, 2017 6:23 PM

Sep 2009
I think it's a good thing to oppress the people though.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 20, 2017 6:46 PM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Frag- said:
Yes and no. These things pretty much on the region, time and context.
The French/European Libertarianism, yes it pretty much started to refer in left-anarchism.
The same thing with the word "Liberal", how Mises declared himself. The world changed totally in the Yankeeland from classical liberalism to big state, progressivism, gun control etc. Then the U.S started to use "Libertarians" to minarchist and right-anarchists, sometimes only to AnCaps from mordern terms.
Things are relative.

I'm talking about the political use not the metaphysical principal use that counters necessitarianism. It was still used and hijacked from the left by the right in the US in the 1960's rather than taking a separate path of origin from the metaphysics term. It was used by the right to appeal to the New Left. It still has it's original meaning in most of the world.

Liberalism covers classical liberalism, social liberalism, and liberal conservatism. They're all liberals. It's just the terms got shortened.
If you haven't realized, that's pretty much what I said.

Things are relative, depends on the period and place you're using the terms.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 20, 2017 7:20 PM

Mar 2008
Frag- said:
traed said:

I'm talking about the political use not the metaphysical principal use that counters necessitarianism. It was still used and hijacked from the left by the right in the US in the 1960's rather than taking a separate path of origin from the metaphysics term. It was used by the right to appeal to the New Left. It still has it's original meaning in most of the world.

Liberalism covers classical liberalism, social liberalism, and liberal conservatism. They're all liberals. It's just the terms got shortened.

But the whole time I was talking about etymology and history, not the different uses, which isn't relative.
Sep 20, 2017 7:41 PM

May 2013
code said:
xLemon said:

I'm not right leaning.

Wellll how do you lean then? You seem to be arguing that the left takes a socially liberal platform but overcompensates in its desire to make these platforms legally realized, and thus actually creates a sort of 'PC authoritarian' culture. That the freedom to live out an alternative lifestyle will really be found on the right.

I'm saying that's bullshit. Freedoms are generally hard won and the enjoyment of them is different from the implementation of them. Especially when it's disenfranchised people fighting for them, which is obviously no fun for people who already have a comfortable lifestyle.

Seems like people (especially online) seem to like Trump sometimes for all the wrong reasons.
xMizu_Sep 20, 2017 7:45 PM
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 20, 2017 7:59 PM

Sep 2012
I would love to live in a libertarian country. Freedom ends where it invades the personal space of other people. However, as long as it doesn't, anything should be allowed.
Starting from homosexuality, over to drug use, everything should be legal as long as nobody is damaged by that (e.g. don't make out as gay couple in a church, or better don't make out as hetero couple there as well)
I think if the politics wouldn't be so conservative, people would enjoy freedom better and there would be more peace on the world.
But that's just my opinion.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Sep 20, 2017 8:08 PM

May 2010
Vicious said:

It's precisely because so many people disagree with your particular outlook that we've come to the point we're at now.
Sep 20, 2017 8:12 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:
Vicious said:

It's precisely because so many people disagree with your particular outlook that we've come to the point we're at now.

"its not about his actions but his words"
He has the best actions! believe me!
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Sep 20, 2017 8:15 PM

May 2010
Ikaros_42oh said:
Thrashinuva said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're sounding pretty mad right now.
Sep 20, 2017 8:30 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

oh man im so mad i could politically correct you all night long
grabsomepussy

Sep 20, 2017 8:33 PM

May 2010
Ikaros_42oh said:
Thrashinuva said:

grabsomepussy
Well damn. I guess you're just gonna have to deal with it then.
Sep 20, 2017 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
Vicious said:

hallelujah to that brother, his policies are shit and his attitude is shittier
Sep 20, 2017 8:37 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

grabsomepussy

um excuse me did you just assume that im not dealing with it
why I never

and correct me if im wrong but youre sounding pretty cucked right now.

Sep 20, 2017 8:42 PM

May 2010
Ikaros_42oh said:
Thrashinuva said:

why I never

Sure you're wrong lol. I'm not even sure how to connect that to what I've said :-/
Sep 20, 2017 8:42 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

why I never

Sure you're wrong lol. I'm not even sure how to connect that to what I've said :-/

thats the cucking choking your brainwaves my dude

Sep 20, 2017 8:50 PM

May 2010
Ikaros_42oh said:
Thrashinuva said:

I'm afraid you're gonna have to give me your reasoning behind that if you expect me to take you seriously... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 20, 2017 8:52 PM

May 2017
Looking at these comments, I think we're forgetting that she's the reason why all this is happening

If you know who this is, you deserve a cookie.
Sep 20, 2017 9:13 PM

Jun 2015
xLemon said:
code said:
I'm not right leaning.

Wellll how do you lean then? You seem to be arguing that the left takes a socially liberal platform but overcompensates in its desire to make these platforms legally realized, and thus actually creates a sort of 'PC authoritarian' culture. That the freedom to live out an alternative lifestyle will really be found on the right.

I'm saying that's bullshit. Freedoms are generally hard won and the enjoyment of them is different from the implementation of them. Especially when it's disenfranchised people fighting for them, which is obviously no fun for people who already have a comfortable lifestyle.

Seems like people (especially online) seem to like Trump sometimes for all the wrong reasons.
I wasn't arguing any position.
I was just stating that the left is in favor of taking away freedoms for more protections.
Which is literally what a government does, it takes away personal freedom for protection.
The difference in left and right politics at their roots is how many freedoms they want to take away.

The left is in favor of more protection, both social and economic (regulations).

Sep 20, 2017 9:25 PM

Mar 2008
valoon said:
I would love to live in a libertarian country. Freedom ends where it invades the personal space of other people. However, as long as it doesn't, anything should be allowed.
Starting from homosexuality, over to drug use, everything should be legal as long as nobody is damaged by that (e.g. don't make out as gay couple in a church, or better don't make out as hetero couple there as well)
I think if the politics wouldn't be so conservative, people would enjoy freedom better and there would be more peace on the world.

Well there is Somalia. It stabilised a bit though but for a while their government was non functional. Not a great place to be though unless you're cool with poverty and armed children in militias. Other than that you have each of those individually in different countries but not all at once as far as I'm aware so it depends what you actually want to do. There also are micronations but they just about always aren't actually official and tend to not last long at all like a couple years tops. There also are unincorporated areas but these are just areas that dont have local authorities, it's still illegal to do things.
Sep 20, 2017 9:29 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

I'm afraid you're gonna have to give me your reasoning behind that if you expect me to take you seriously... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the joke and point was that its just as serious/reasonable as your mad comment
ugh, hate people that need jokes explained... classic cuck symptom even (see the joke was that thats a reason, as the way im using the word it doesnt really have a real meaning lol unlike mad, both not provable though), hope that lets you connect it better

Sep 20, 2017 9:37 PM

May 2010
Ikaros_42oh said:
Thrashinuva said:

ugh, hate people that need jokes explained... classic cuck symptom even (see the joke was that thats a reason, as the way im using the word it doesnt really have a real meaning lol unlike mad, both not provable though), hope that lets you connect it better
Yeah that's about what I expected. The only surprise is that you understood that your joke was meaningless and mine actually meant something, so bravo to that, I don't think most people would be able to come to that conclusion. And that very well might sound condescending, but it is serious. I'm impressed.
Sep 20, 2017 9:40 PM

Mar 2013
code said:

posts like this illustrate why some amount of authoritarianism is necessary to protect liberty. because otherwise people will decide for you that "too much freedom" is a bad thing, and they will try their hardest to take it away from you
Sep 20, 2017 9:49 PM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Frag- said:

But the whole time I was talking about etymology and history, not the different uses, which isn't relative.
Each term was used from different peirods, I'm saying how they are used came from those periods.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 20, 2017 10:00 PM

May 2013
code said:
xLemon said:

I was just stating that the left is in favor of taking away freedoms for more protections.
Which is literally what a government does, it takes away personal freedom for protection.
The difference in left and right politics at their roots is how many freedoms they want to take away.

The left is in favor of more protection, both social and economic (regulations).

ohh you weren't arguing right on dude.

Well i happen to disagree with your portrayal of the left but i guess that's okay.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 20, 2017 10:03 PM

Feb 2013
xLemon said:
code said:

Well i happen to disagree with your portrayal of the left but i guess that's okay.
His portrayal of the left is literally factual my dude. Leftists would agree with that portrayal if they have any understanding of their own ideology.
Sep 20, 2017 10:04 PM

May 2013
Daddy-O said:
xLemon said:

His portrayal of the left is literally factual my dude. Leftists would agree with that portrayal if they have any understanding of their own ideology.

yeah mmkay I don't think that saying the left advocates 'taking away freedoms' is exactly factual but okay whatever you say
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 20, 2017 10:17 PM

Apr 2017
Thrashinuva said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Yeah that's about what I expected. The only surprise is that you understood that your joke was meaningless and mine actually meant something, so bravo to that, I don't think most people would be able to come to that conclusion. And that very well might sound condescending, but it is serious. I'm impressed.

thanks brah
been working on my sarcasm too you see

Sep 21, 2017 6:14 AM

Nov 2016
Thrashinuva said:
Mayling said:

I get the part where people want to cheer on what seems like an honest free-speaking man in order to get some transparency in politics, but still. Trump as president is still just sad and affects the rest of the worlds trust in the US. Hopefully you guys get a new, better qualified president in 4 years.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Sep 21, 2017 6:34 AM

Sep 2012
traed said:
valoon said:

Well there is Somalia. It stabilised a bit though but for a while their government was non functional. Not a great place to be though unless you're cool with poverty and armed children in militias. Other than that you have each of those individually in different countries but not all at once as far as I'm aware so it depends what you actually want to do. There also are micronations but they just about always aren't actually official and tend to not last long at all like a couple years tops. There also are unincorporated areas but these are just areas that dont have local authorities, it's still illegal to do things.

I guess I will just make my own country in the Arctis or so
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Sep 21, 2017 6:49 AM

Mar 2014
You said:
This questions tickles my mind quite long. Why people cling to many clingy social construct? This social construct are mostly unfair and just putting on pointless limit to human.

I think OP need to be more social to understand about the great effects of social on humans life and their nature.
humans can't build a nation without socialization, humans can't learn new things without socialization, humans can't live without socialization.
pls read any humans civilizations history, if OP can prove that there is a single human that could build a civilization or discover a new thing by himself, then I'll start to reconsider my perspective.
well, ofc the real one, not the supernatural/fantasy like a society/civilization you read in a fiction novel.
Sep 21, 2017 7:14 AM

Apr 2015
Pseudo_Nym said:
You said:
This questions tickles my mind quite long. Why people cling to many clingy social construct? This social construct are mostly unfair and just putting on pointless limit to human.

I think OP need to be more social to understand about the great effects of social on humans life and their nature.
humans can't build a nation without socialization, humans can't learn new things without socialization, humans can't live without socialization.
pls read any humans civilizations history, if OP can prove that there is a single human that could build a civilization or discover a new thing by himself, then I'll start to reconsider my perspective.
well, ofc the real one, not the supernatural/fantasy like a society/civilization you read in a fiction novel.
But civilization progresses, conservatives take that progress like a snail.
Sep 21, 2017 7:15 AM

Jun 2015
Ivich said:
code said:

posts like this illustrate why some amount of authoritarianism is necessary to protect liberty. because otherwise people will decide for you that "too much freedom" is a bad thing, and they will try their hardest to take it away from you
lol

Let me state it differently.
Too much freedom would mean someone has the freedom to do whatever to you.
Does that sound good?

Sep 21, 2017 7:17 AM

Jun 2015
xLemon said:
Daddy-O said:

yeah mmkay I don't think that saying the left advocates 'taking away freedoms' is exactly factual but okay whatever you say
That's actually what the purpose of a government is.
And the left is for more government control.
I didn't realize this was a subjective thing.

Sep 21, 2017 7:22 AM

Mar 2014
You said:
Pseudo_Nym said:

But civilization progresses, conservatives take that progress like a snail.

well, at least they were, in fact, moves forward~
why so hurry? haste make waste xD
and in the end everything would be destroyed and then the new civs will rise again from the crumble and so on.
when you feel trapped you wanted for freedom, when there are so much freedom you'll want some restrictions. that's how humans history flows~ :p
Sep 21, 2017 7:33 AM

Aug 2017
Hmm... I don't know. You talk about freedom and do whatever people like but you still complain about people do what they want.

I don't want to argue, though, just pointing out that you still contradicting yourself. Stuff like this for me is obvious and can't really get myself to see your view, that's why I won't argue. I just thought it would be pointless. Sorry.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 21, 2017 8:19 AM

May 2013
code said:
xLemon said:

That's actually what the purpose of a government is.
And the left is for more government control.
I didn't realize this was a subjective thing.

... of corporations... it's not intending to remove anyone's personal rights.

Republicans on the other hand actually do tend to let personal rights go by the wayside more often.

Progressive platforms often advocate government involvement, but that can sure come off as more control. It's really not as bad as people make it sound though, conservatives love to demonize the left.
xMizu_Sep 21, 2017 8:24 AM
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 21, 2017 9:40 AM

Mar 2008
valoon said:
traed said:

Antartica is owned by various countries neutrally or something I think. Youd more likely be able to buy an oil rig far out enough from shore youre on international waters but various micronationns tried that before. Micronnations always fail to get enough people involved. One used a ship and if I recall right the ship sank from a storm.
Sep 21, 2017 9:50 AM

Dec 2016
traed said:
valoon said:

Antartica is owned by various countries neutrally or something I think. Youd more likely be able to buy an oil rig far out enough from shore youre on international waters but various micronationns tried that before. Micronnations always fail to get enough people involved. One used a ship and if I recall right the ship sank from a storm.

http://www.one-small-world.com/top-10-historys-strangest-micronations-2/
Hmm, I didn't see the one where the dude proposed making a giant floating mass of styrofoam...

Hold on. I have to propose sanctions on Celestia. But, seriously, like if any of you are eccentric billionaires and go all Bioshock and shit. Like, hire me as a retainer okay? I am serious, I will sign up.
Sep 21, 2017 11:29 AM

Mar 2013
code said:
Let me state it differently.
Too much freedom would mean someone has the freedom to do whatever to you.
Does that sound good?

im not saying people should have the freedom to kill each other, im saying no one should have to give up freedom to benefit "social justice" or equality, which is what the post you agreed with was arguing for
Sep 21, 2017 11:53 AM

Mar 2008
Soverign said:
traed said:

Hmm, I didn't see the one where the dude proposed making a giant floating mass of styrofoam...

Hold on. I have to propose sanctions on Celestia. But, seriously, like if any of you are eccentric billionaires and go all Bioshock and shit. Like, hire me as a retainer okay? I am serious, I will sign up.

I'm not even a 1 K heir. I tried to help plan a commune location before but no one did anything with it and that wouldnt be free from local laws.
Sep 21, 2017 11:58 AM

Dec 2016
traed said:
Soverign said:

I'm not even a 1 K heir. I tried to help plan a commune location before but no one did anything with it and that wouldnt be free from local laws.

Hey man. I would even be cool with a commie commune. Now wait! Hear me out first right!? Look, I like killing commie scum, right? This as been established. Well, obviously you would hate some jealous commie traitors trying to usurp the dream, right? See? Match made in heaven right there, you know? Win-win scenario! I get to kill commies as the head of your Intelligence Apparatus and you get to be free of traitors and maintain your iron fisted control over the commune!
Sep 21, 2017 12:15 PM

Mar 2008
Soverign said:
traed said:

Hey man. I would even be cool with a commie commune. Now wait! Hear me out first right!? Look, I like killing commie scum, right? This as been established. Well, obviously you would hate some jealous commie traitors trying to usurp the dream, right? See? Match made in heaven right there, you know? Win-win scenario! I get to kill commies as the head of your Intelligence Apparatus and you get to be free of traitors and maintain your iron fisted control over the commune!

Pretty sure that would still be illegal

They were basically just wanting to set up a self reliant community without a capitalist system and I pointed out how there are places in the US you can get land cheap or for free under particular conditions but no one wanted to be in the midle of nowhere.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Vent thread. ( 1 2 )

Spooks - Oct 7, 2013

91 by Amityblight »»
32 seconds ago

» Some of y'all are wayyy too narrow-minded and pessimisstic because of it

Timeline_man - Jun 6

17 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» External SSD

RudeRedis - Jun 7

9 by Noboru »»
30 minutes ago

» Should we drop medicine on the North Sentinel Islands?

vasipi4946 - Jun 7

22 by tsukareru »»
52 minutes ago

» Is hating on Japan cool on the internet? ( 1 2 )

Ahegyao - Apr 16, 2020

66 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.