Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 13, 2020 4:32 PM

Apr 2019
It was a climax episode I think. So far all the 15 episodes thigs were getting haze and misty but at this point, I realised the things I assumed or thought as a possibilty of turning true is actually showing up. Ahh atlast some change of plotpace episode, along with some development and exploration of the character shinji. I've wondered from the 2nd or 3rd or so episodes that why don't Misato and shinji don't seek out of the knowledge, dont throw questions about the past, the things they are dealing with, working on pretty much like robots, finishing the objectives coming up outta nowhere without searching or trying to realise what pattern it follows. but at this point they are getting involved. I hope shinji's character was not too this much of shallow rather if he was atleast a bit more intelligent. maybe that would've just made another lelouch or light.. Well Evangelion got its own style. I bettter not complain o something good.. this are just my questions on the character so far till ep 16 and asessment.. -_-"
Oct 12, 2020 4:03 AM

Aug 2018
What a fantastic episode, it really left us with much to thing about what Eva's truly are. Really loved that use of shadows and terrifying face of Asuka during that confortation scene with Rei.
Oct 13, 2020 4:31 PM

Apr 2020
Okay, this episode is my favorite so far. I loved the introspection Shinji had and just everything- so good!
Deep down, we all have trash taste
Oct 25, 2020 9:31 AM

Jun 2020
Damn it NGE......you’re not....about to give me a full on EXISTENTIAL CRISIS!!!!! What the flying fuck that entire sequence with Shinji’s conscience was mind-blowing. What an incredible episode.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 5, 2020 3:52 AM

Dec 2012
Hai! You are number 1!
lol at Rei walking out then saying goodbye.
Shinji's hand.
Those kids laughing at Shinji.
Dat ball in the sky.
Shinji is taking point.
Shinji's hand again.
It disappeared.
An Angel.
Shinji got sucked in.
Rei steps up to Asuka.
Shinji.
Sea of Dirac.
Connected to another universe?
Shinji going crazy.
Dat slap.
Dat pic of Yui.
Dat light. Okaasan?
The ground.
Unit 01 is breaking out.
Dat roar.
Its dead. Dat stance.
Misato's hug.
Shinji is awake.
Dat ending.

Great episode. Those questions in the ED theme.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 10, 2020 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
FUCKING POWERFUL! Episode 16 is masterfully insane, shocking, full of metaphors and interacts with Jung's shadow-self theory... I love this ep as much as ep 15. Both have great insights! Hideaki Anno is genius!
Jan 2, 2021 9:33 PM

Aug 2019
Shit just went 0-100 real fucking quick. This anime once again, reminding us it isn't all sun shine and rainbows, and once again, if they wanted to fucking traumatise Shinji, they can do it at a snap of a finger. Getting stuck in pure isolation for 12hrs straight, having you're oxygen and heating slowly deplete, and have the weird water you're in start tasting like iron, yeh i'm not surprised a 10 minute MV of Shinji fucking snapping occurred.

Unit 01 breaking out of the angel had to be the most batshit crazy and hardcore thing in this anime yet. It most likely went berserk again like the first time, but is it from Shinji fucking actually approaching death, instead of the intense pain that caused the first one? Either way the fucking blood covered Unit 01 along with its screams(???) is some scary shit. Wasn't it suppose to be fully out of energy? Who actually controls it when it goes berserk? They are really building it up that the Eva Units are not just simple machines, and they are doing a good fucking job.

That ending though, love to hear it when someone says "yehhhh, i doubt the MC is gonna be happy when he finds out what he's been driving in the past 16 episodes"
Feb 15, 2021 1:29 AM
Apr 2020
JuicyBuddha said:
Veethorn said:
HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS, this was one of the best episodes in some time, man that "birth" crap was frightening, when EVA was busting outta that shit... it gave me the chills.
This anime is starting to mess with ma head.

Aww I hope those bastards aren't evil planning and messing too much with my Rei, she was so cute this episode, Rei > Asuka

lol yeah

The tension was definitely there, it did feel like Shinji could die even though he's the main character. Hardcore mindfuck shit for real.

coming in blind, I was like 99.9999% convinced he was going to die
Feb 22, 2021 8:14 AM
Jul 2017
damn, this episode is so confusing for me. is shinji going to be depressed again after he trapped inside angel??
Mar 9, 2021 11:43 PM

Mar 2010
Did commander ikari fricken use Shinji's mom for some messed up experiment to create Eva?... Aka what they are doing to Rei right now?. Kinda sick if I am right. The way he talked about her in front of her grave was pretty weird too.
Mar 10, 2021 10:45 PM

Jul 2020
They hiding something from Shinji, I wonder what it is cuz they need to explain the interaction of him and his mother. Pretty polarizing episode.
Mar 27, 2021 11:00 PM

Jun 2020
Looks like the mindfuckery has begun

Asuka being annoying as ever

Why would only Shinji and Rei be destroyed by the secret of the Evas? Is Asuka just a different type of person? Is it that Shinji and Rei care more? Maybe that Asuka's Eva is the first non-prototype?

But now I kinda wanna know what the secret is

And that preview makes it look like the classmate is gonna be the next pilot lol
May 11, 2021 5:23 AM

Apr 2021
Mindfuck + big fucking murder time + character development = good show

5/5
Jun 10, 2021 4:07 AM

Apr 2020
This might be the best episode so far. This is getting really fascinating now.

Cait wait for the upcoming revelations
Jun 11, 2021 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
The three prior episodes were really dull. FINALLY, a good episode featuring Shinji.

I read that episode 16 marks the famous notable shift from action to psychological. Of course, the prior three episodes didn't have much action either. And of course, I'm sure we know this is because Gainax and Co. started running out of their budget. They went all out animating the beginning episodes (i.e. the dancing one) and the episodes gradually get less and less fluid/animated. Hence the finale... but I won't spoil anything. Anyway, the director claims that in light of the budget cut, he had to shift his writing to a more psychological character-based one with less emphasis on combat, robots, mecha, etc. Which is KIND of a shame -- I'm already missing the early episodes and I haven't been binging for long.

But I digress. This was a good episode. Shinji's my favorite character and all moments featuring him are really good. His depression isn't forced or exaggerated but is just so normal and realistic. His background isn't TOO too tragic, but his issues (past and present) warrant the level of stress he exhibits.
Although his inner dialogue with himself (when trapped in his Eva) was a bit abstract. He seemed deeply disturbed by it during and afterward. But, I don't know -- the "Shinji in Shinji's head" seemed to offer some good advice, while spelling out Shinji's main flaw and advising how to go about overcoming it.

Shinji screaming for help was also a good performance on the VA's part, and from a directorial standpoint as well.

Another highlight was Misato's relief at Shinji being alive and well. And when she smacked the scientist. It's good characterization for Misato -- she's serious about her job but very ethical and concerned about the children she's been tasked with watching over.

Asuka's a biotch as usual.
removed-userJun 11, 2021 9:54 PM
Jul 25, 2021 7:16 AM
Jul 2021
What a great episode. It really showcases Shinji's character as an abused and ignored child who feeds off the images that others create in their minds and how he's obssessed with finding what few things give him joy. Additionally, he gets a badass moment where his Power of Will gets to have him break out of his cage and defeat the enemy singlehandedly.

I like the mystery that is ramping up surrounding the Evas and NERV, especially regarding what the Evas are. I like how Rei genuinely cares about Shinji, both standing up for him against Asuka and taking care of him in the hospital.
Aug 2, 2021 7:24 AM
Oct 2020
Fuck Asuka , shes a fuckin bitch
Aug 2, 2021 9:46 AM
Oct 2020
Fuck Asuka , shes a fuckin bitch
Aug 11, 2021 2:23 PM

Jan 2021
That was cool it even had Ritsuko questioning what they created
Sep 22, 2021 10:57 PM

Jun 2017
Dam wtf are they actually piloting for real? Even the Angels didn't look off-hinged as Beserk Mode Unit-01.
Nov 13, 2021 12:32 AM

Aug 2020
Looks like this is the climax of the series, and where the mind fuck begins.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 25, 2021 9:06 AM
Nov 2020
I love how this anime goes deep into the emotions of the characters, as if they were real people. Asuka wants to be strong but she certainly has feelings for Shinji. Great episode!
Dec 15, 2021 10:29 PM

May 2019
Asuka is so critical of everyone, dang.
Shinji drowning in the shadow of his father, in growing up, in responsibility, in fear of maturity.

Damn, and I liked Ritsuko too...ugh.

The biggest and hardest battles are the ones we have with ourselves.
Also, are angels really bad? Shinji faces possible death, judgment and then comfort. THEN was it HIS Eva that came bursting out like that being reborn?

The plot unfolds more...
Jan 3, 2022 8:16 AM

Jul 2021
What is the secret Ritsuko is hiding that would make the 3 drivers not forgive her?
asdasdsadad
Feb 7, 2022 8:54 AM

Feb 2021
Ngl this was a pretty heavy episode. Misato has really grown to care for Shinji. Misato really bitchslapped Ritsuko.

Gotta love the Eva berserk mode. Just like I thought the Eva's are somehow related to the 1st Angel, Adam. Something big is being planned by Gendo and Ritsuko is with him too.

Yo what was Rei whispering in the ED??
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Apr 5, 2022 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Random question not really related to this episode but it’s where I’m up to, hopefully someone can answer quick. They always reference “the second impact” what about the first impact? Or am I not supposed to know about it yet

Either way, I feel like the mind fuckery is starting. So many questions are piling up that I feel are all connected in some way. I want to keep watching but it’s 12:30am and I can already tell this shits going to pop up in my dreams. Til tomorrow!
Apr 8, 2022 4:07 PM

Jun 2015
mattnoce said:
Random question not really related to this episode but it’s where I’m up to, hopefully someone can answer quick. They always reference “the second impact” what about the first impact? Or am I not supposed to know about it yet

Either way, I feel like the mind fuckery is starting. So many questions are piling up that I feel are all connected in some way. I want to keep watching but it’s 12:30am and I can already tell this shits going to pop up in my dreams. Til tomorrow!

The First Impact.
Apr 8, 2022 7:23 PM

Dec 2021
so far the best episode, unsettling asf. incredible tonal shift

asuka's fragile ego slowly being shattered is so well executed
cosmicoisrealApr 8, 2022 7:27 PM
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 15, 2022 10:24 AM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 22, 2022 3:37 AM

Oct 2020
This episode was equal parts intense and emotional

Shinji's relationship with Misato is so cute and she really thinks of him as her own. The scene where she praised him like "you're number one" was really sweet, specially since Shinji and Misato had that moment a couple episodes back when they were talking about how meaningless praise can feel at times -- but it means the most when it comes from those you care for. Then when Ritsuko insinuated that the Eva Unit was more important than the actual pilot Shinji, Misato really got to stick up for her kiddo and let miss-sis know what's up.

Speaking of sticking up for Shinji, Rei even seemed to develop some aversion towards Asuka when she started insulting Shinji -- it first starts in the locker room when Asuka is ranting out her jealousy over the sync-scores and then bubbles to the surface when Rei actually confronts Asuka and stops her mid-rant after Shinji's been captured by the Angel. I mean, Asuka talks a lot about how Shinji should or shouldn't be but, in reality, she's not much different from Shinji or the other kids.

Character moments aside -- I did think the concept of a 2-dimensional creature with a 3-dimensional shadow was really interesting and was a nice way to shake things up visually and demonstrate the variety between the Angels and their powers.
Jun 1, 2022 2:44 AM

Apr 2014
This was the episode that changed everything from me. I had never seen anything like it at the time and while I've seen similar stuff since, none pulled it off quite as well as this.
Jul 1, 2022 7:46 AM

Dec 2007
O__O
what and episode.
it hardly felt 20min.

have to say that after this episode, the mystery about the eva's seems more important the angels mystery lol.
Aug 1, 2022 8:59 PM
Jan 2021
it's probably just me, but I love when VA's scream, and Shinji's voice actor did so good!! When he quietly called out for his dad my heart crumbled!! I want to know more about the Angels and Shinji, so this was an interesting episode. definitely becoming one of my favorite anime!
Aug 16, 2022 3:54 PM
Aug 2022
The berserk mode was insane to see in this episode.
Aug 30, 2022 10:07 PM
Sep 2021
very goodddddddd
Sep 8, 2022 5:01 AM
Oct 2021
I don't cry ever.
I cried watching this episode
Sep 26, 2022 12:40 PM
Aug 2022
this was one of my favorite episodes for sure! so where do we start?
well, i really liked seeing how shinji was becoming cocky and then during the angel fight he pretty much got screwed up immediately.
and speaking on the angel, this is another BANGER of an angel. i swear, the angel designs are one of my most favorite things about evangelion so far. i always look forward to see the next angel and see what they can do.
and turns out ritsuko is hiding stuff from misato as well which is surprising. it's obvious that captain ikari and the other higher ups were hiding something, but ritsuko who seemed to be really close to misato is as well.
and we got more lore on the evas as well. so i'm assuming that the evas are based on angels, or maybe they are in a way. another thing is that they're sentient which i picked on as well. i'm really excited to see where things will go from here. i can sense the psychological stuff is starting soon.
Sep 30, 2022 2:08 PM
Dec 2020
asiri iyi bolumdu saheser
Oct 1, 2022 8:31 PM
Aug 2022
lmaolmao lmaomlao lmao
Oct 24, 2022 10:21 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
It looks like this is where Evangelion really begins as we truly start to tackle the psychological aspect, delving into the psyche of Shinji. Him releasing himself and the eva from the angel and tearing it to shreds was awesome, I guess we're meant to believe this his will power was just that strong. Perhaps he really really missed his mother, and that since Katsuragi was kind of like a mother-figure to him, he just had to do whatever it took to see her again. THIS is the best episode now so far.

On a side note, I just realized that Rei and Pen-Pen (the penguin lol) have the same voice actress.

edit: I also love how we see Shinji waking up to that darn ceiling again, but this time Rei is there by his side, and even Asuka as well

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 14, 2022 3:39 PM
Aug 2020
Super interesting dive into Shinji's mind and how his depression works. Also the scene where Shinji escapes from the angel is really different than any other scene in this show i love just how dark and gritty it is.
Dec 31, 2022 10:06 PM

Jan 2022
This is my favorite NGE episode for a number of reasons but above all is Unit 01 violently tearing itself from the Angle. It's just one of those scenes that gets burned into your mind.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 11:45 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 23, 2023 4:31 PM

Dec 2010
Great episode, but despite making everyone worried, Shinji technically soloed the Angel in less time than than some group attempts in the past. We don't really know if anyone else would've been able to do the job, even with more research and preparation.

The only thing that bugs me is that his Angel didn't seem to be very aggressively trying to get to NERV's HQ, which is usually their main purpose. Instead, he was just bing chilling after consuming part of the city. 

Despite being very nasty this episode, I think that it was very sweet that Asuka visited Shinji in the hospital.
Feb 3, 2023 10:06 AM

Mar 2016
Episode saved at the end luckily. Had given Shinji the pass in earlier episodes due to him being forced into all this. But now...he was shown to be getting the hang of things at least, then we get a double case of character whiplash. He suddenly very enthusiastic about the test results out of nowhere, and then instantly falls completely back into blind panic mode the moment things go unexpected. There was obviously no way he could've anticipated the situation would turn out like that, but considering his experience now, it was the first time he came off as pathetic to me.

The dive into Shinji's head was interesting though and really brings to light his interactions with others, even if he is still deluding himself with wanting praise by his father. Although that 'killing his wife' is likely not going to be as clear cut as that flashback made it out.

Considering the completelly uncalled for slap Rei did to Shinji back at the start of the series, I am incredibly disappointed that Asuka didn't get the same treatment. The one being hypocritical is her. Sure, Shinji was cocky, got overconfident and needed a chewing out...but who was the bitch stirring the shit pot?! Now that we're seeing the next step of the true EVA nature, and Shinji's had his big philosophical moment...Asuka is in serious need of a reality check concerning how she treats others.

Hoping the Misato starts to help out Kaji with his black ops work. Should've expected the Dr to be in the know along with the Cmdr, but never to such a degree. It's too late to try and hide the EVA nature from the pilots. They may still go along with operations, but that trust is long lost after Unit 01's public performance there. As I thought, the armour exterior and power systems act more like a restraining system than true power, considering Unit 01 was able to go berserk with 0%. But I guess it takes a lot out of the inner monnster to break free from the 0% power shutdown, since they didn't have issues retreiving it after it broke out.
Feb 8, 2023 5:47 AM
Feb 2021
I dropped the series, because it was kind of boring
Feb 12, 2023 11:14 AM

Jul 2022
Just Wow ........
Feb 21, 2023 1:47 PM
Jul 2022
shinji get a psychiatrist, the end was so lame but ok, fight good haha
May 27, 2023 12:47 PM
Apr 2020
Just straight heat lfg
Jun 21, 2023 11:48 PM
Feb 2023
This is the part of the series where it starts to take the turn towards deconstruction of the characters, who they are, what makes them tick, etc. It is past this point where the series starts to twist and show it's true purpose and meaning.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

188 by Pakutto »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

176 by Pakutto »»
Yesterday, 2:04 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

165 by Pakutto »»
Sep 20, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

274 by kyota521306 »»
Sep 19, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

169 by Pakutto »»
Sep 18, 6:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.