Forum Settings
Forums

Do anime fans HATE strong female characters?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Dec 17, 2016 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
Red_Keys said:
Retarded shitposts on youtube removed of context don't mean anything

I found the comment on the video "best anime fights ever". It included clips from some mainstream action shows and he got pissed, because a couple of them featured female characters. That was the context.
Dec 17, 2016 7:56 AM

Jan 2011
i like strong female characters, what i dont like are Mary Sues
Dec 17, 2016 10:16 AM

Dec 2016
Moogle-Magic said:
I'm actually desperately searching for more shows that star strong female characters like the ones in Claymore. All I ever seem to find is fucking fanservice anime with girls 'fighting' that do exactly what that (kind of sexist) guy said: flashing their tits and panties.

And I don't think anime fans in general hate strong female characters, of course, there are some assholes, but the main problem is that there are not many of them. And the ones that are being sold as ''strong independent female characters'' are just shitty tsunderes and female supremacists, so there's a stigma around it.

I've been called a shitlord myself for disliking anime with girls in them, but honestly, I couldn't care less what gender the characters are. As long as they're well made characters, gender shouldn't matter. The thing is that there are more good male characters than female characters, who are often used for 'waifu material', fanservice and boosting up the sales. That's all imo.

I really liked Claymore as well and would love to see more action oriented/fantasy anime like that. Sure, Claire wasn't exactly my favorite, but the show made up for it with the variety in the rest of the cast.

Has anyone brought up Psycho Pass?? I thought Akane was a really great example on how a female lead can develop into a 'strong' character without magic or some ridiculous plot device. She is present in most key action scenes if I remember correctly, along with the male leads, but it's believable and balanced... i.e. she's not physically strong but rather more tactical.

I guess it might not really be the genre being discussed, but it came to mind lol.
Dec 17, 2016 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
I don't like physically strong characters at all.

That was never a popular criticism of anything, "the girls can't play manly beat-em-up games with the boys!"
People aren't referring to the fighting in cartoons when they complain about weak female characters, they're complaining about slovenly men who are writing female characters to fulfill men's dreams. I don't think it's that confusing.
Dec 17, 2016 11:27 AM

May 2009
I don't even like the term "strong female character" because it has so many different meanings that can be confused with each other.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 17, 2016 11:43 AM
Oct 2016
Uhhhh no. There are like 1000000 ecchi harems where the girls that are chasing after the guy are badass, even more so than the MC. Lots of anime fans LOVE (wink wink) strong female characters.
Dec 17, 2016 11:46 AM

Dec 2016
Darius said:
Idk if that makes sense but when a male does the same thing you somehow don't question anything and on the contrary - start to resepct the guy lol

I know it's weird but that's just how it feels like

Oh, I do so love all the try-hards pretending to be tough in real life(or anime).
What you wrote is just offensive...to ME.
I mean if you're going to say stuff like this at least don't make it seem as if everyone shares the same view. I'm not in this club and I fear most people of this century aren't(at least I hope)
CreatiwitiDec 17, 2016 11:51 AM
Dec 17, 2016 11:49 AM

Dec 2016
You're mixing it up.
People just don't usually like tsunderes.
And the point of tsunderes is that they are not actually strong inside.
nobody hates a female character that is genuinly strong.
Dec 17, 2016 12:00 PM

Feb 2013
Female characters from shounen anime are ok, I don't mind seeing those fights.
But in any other type of anime I don't like to see them get hurt.
Dec 17, 2016 12:04 PM

Aug 2016
Strong female characters are my favourite. I can't stand weak female characters, they're so annoying. (Same thing applies to girls in real life)

I am a tom-boy girl, and I find that Shounen is way better than most Shoujo's and I hate the weak girl stereotype.
MagicalMysticVADec 17, 2016 12:22 PM
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Dec 17, 2016 12:43 PM

May 2009
DarkAnimeAngel said:
Strong female characters are my favourite. I can't stand weak female characters, they're so annoying. (Same thing applies to girls in real life)

I am a tom-boy girl, and I find that Shounen is way better than most Shoujo's and I hate the weak girl stereotype.

Kinda funny how shounen gets flak for weak boys sometimes. :P Maybe it's because the focus is on the people around the self-insert character.
Dec 17, 2016 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
god i love when people gender bait

who cares? it's a cartoon. its not real. it's up to the creators to decide what they want. isnt it?

people complain about the dumbest shit
Dec 17, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2014
flannan said:
Laionidas said:

This is precisely the problem. People do like strong women, or think they do, but then their 'strength' is measured in power levels.

The thing is that genuinely strong women might make decisions that don't necessarily sit well with the male main a lot of viewers identify with. In real life that happens, but when producing a show that's a risk.

Can you give some examples?

First that comes to mind is Balsa Yonsa, from Seirei Moribito:

Then there's Atsuko Chiba from Paprika:

Haruhara Haruko from FLCL,.. yeah.

Ichihara Yuuko from xxxHOLic:

Magata Shiki from Subete ga F ni Naru:

Darius said:
It is not in female's nature to be strong, that's why. It just doesn't feel natural. When a female mc is acting strong it always feels like she is trying to prove something and that's annoying. Idk if that makes sense but when a male does the same thing you somehow don't question anything and on the contrary - start to resepct the guy lol

"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 17, 2016 1:52 PM

May 2016
I understand you... Anime needs more baddass female MCs... You're not exaggerating at all, that pisses me off too. Also, this case you put as example was so extreme... I wanted to spit and pee on the guy who posted that. It's just nauseous.

But, no, in reality, people like strong female characters, ones because they give a good looking of women and others because of that waifu stuff. For example, I haven't found ANY people who dislike Mikasa... ANYONE.
Dec 17, 2016 2:02 PM

May 2016
Darius said:
It is not in female's nature to be strong, that's why. It just doesn't feel natural. When a female mc is acting strong it always feels like she is trying to prove something and that's annoying. Idk if that makes sense but when a male does the same thing you somehow don't question anything and on the contrary - start to resepct the guy lol

What?? ¬¬ Are you a troll or are you just s*****?? For your own knowledge, I've met a lot of females who are a lot more strong than males (in my class, for example, there are no boys good in sports but many girls enjoys and practise well sports). So, "female's nature" is also to be strong, not just to be a housewife. And no, when there is a strong female MC is not because she's trying to prove something, is because it shows that females are strong too. Also, there are strong male MC that are so strong that you look at them and think "Is he going to destroy Earth or something?"

(Sorry if I'm being rude but I think your commentary is very offensive, imo)
Dec 17, 2016 2:24 PM

May 2009
SuzuMine-chan said:

not so much "offensive" as much as "stupid" lol

I've got no gender-based problem with female or male commanding officers, political leaders, protagonists, etc. etc. etc..

If someone is good at leading, their gender doesn't mean jack with regards to their leadership skills.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 17, 2016 2:28 PM
Dec 17, 2016 2:31 PM

May 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
SuzuMine-chan said:

Well, the two things at once. But I became offended by that comment because I'm really tired of listening people say: "Girls are weird", "Act like a boy and not like a girl" and much more stupid sexist things... U know, stupid people say stupid things
Dec 17, 2016 2:36 PM

May 2015
flannan said:
Darius said:

Yeah, it's totally weird. When the MC is made of rubber, and the party includes a swordsman who fights with three swords at once and a reindeer (I have no idea what's his story), people saying "strong female fighters don't feel natural" are totally weird.
Yes, all of anime is strange enough that minor stuff like gender shouldn't bother people.

nightlur said:
i dont think so there just arent many good ones.female chars are often given emotionless or masculine qualities to express strength and most people can tell its just a ploy to get losers to buy toys cuz they like that archytype of character.

Why people are never bothered by emotionless "strong" male characters, like Guts? I don't think there is any reason female characters can't embody the same archetype.

Laionidas said:

This is precisely the problem. People do like strong women, or think they do, but then their 'strength' is measured in power levels.

The thing is that genuinely strong women might make decisions that don't necessarily sit well with the male main a lot of viewers identify with. In real life that happens, but when producing a show that's a risk.

TheBrainintheJar said:
The problem is, we're thinking of female/male characters in different terms. We don't really care about 'strong' male characters. We want them developed and interesting. Why can't we ask the same for women?

Actually, a lot of viewers complain about main male characters not being strong enough (for any value of strong). For example, Ikari Shinji, lead of NGE.
If you ask me, I like battle harem leads a lot more than comedy harem leads. Even though they aren't that much different in personality, but battle harem leads are brave and strong on the battlefield.

TheBrainintheJar said:

That only proves that a story was terrible if I had to write my own story inside it.

I don't feel the author should chew everything for the viewers. Only the parts he/she considers important.

Bourmegar said:
Yh Freezing has many issues, the ladies don't get proper development and instead get stripped all the dam time like seriously they can't make proper armor for these girls that are fighting all the dam time?

Why would you bother making proper armor if it's going to get stripped off them anyway?
Still, I like Dog Days' "ablative armor" explanation (basically, the armor is designed to be destroyed, protecting the wearer in the process, and that's the best armor in the setting).

Jaarin said:

Doesn't that suggest that intellectual enquiry is utterly divorced from social activity? Don't get me wrong, cultural fiat is something to be contested and, sometimes, actively avoided. But the insuation that one cannot engage with such things as "youtube comments" because it is "below intellectual discourse" is, itself, as questionable a position as those expressed by the youtube commenters.

Ignoring youtube comments is perfectly reasonable thing to do. Youtube comments are just as devoid of humanity as 2ch and similar sites. Even MAL is a reasonable place in comparison.

Shinji Ikari is a lone case. Popular male characters in any type of fiction aren't always strong. Holden Caulfield and Clyde (American Tragedy) are some of the most developed characters you'll find in fiction, and they're horribly flawed. Look at any Pixar film, and the characters aren't strong at all, but have a lot of downsides they struggle with. Woody isn't as charming without his big ego.

Why can't we think of female characters as complex? Why the dichotomy of 'strong' vs 'weak'?

I don't want the author to spill everything, but I shouldn't write the story between the lines. I shouldn't think of things also happening in the 'fictional world' that the author just didn't write. I shouldn't imagine relationships that were never mentioned. I need to only find meaning in the content the author put forth.

--------

Laionidas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That only proves that a story was terrible if I had to write my own story inside it.

Exactly, if you're just setting up a story to basically facilitate fan fiction, then you're not writing.

Star Wars was just horrible alltogether though. I quite like the franchise, though I'm not a real 'fan' I guess, while my little brother just looks at it like any other movie. Both of us had to force (no pun intended) ourselves just to sit through the full length movie. Characters, script, design, effects, everything was just terrible. Maybe not from a technical perspective, but there was literally nothing that surprised me, and everything just oozed 'PC Disney Cash Cow'. Let's forget about it.

Have you watched Episode IV? It's a great lesson in basic storytelling. Forget about the Extended Universe and all that. It's a pure heroic journey about defeating an evil empire.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 17, 2016 2:42 PM

Nov 2016
I'd love to see more strong, independent female characters. So tired of watching weak crybaby girls who overly depend on a guy to come save her ass all the fucking time because she's too stupid to do shit.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Dec 17, 2016 2:57 PM

Jan 2016
SuzuMine-chan said:

What?? ¬¬ Are you a troll or are you just s*****?? For your own knowledge, I've met a lot of females who are a lot more strong than males (in my class, for example, there are no boys good in sports but many girls enjoys and practise well sports). So, "female's nature" is also to be strong, not just to be a housewife.

I agree with you that women are not just housewifes but the example you gave is pretty stupid. That men are physically stronger than women is a fact.
Dec 17, 2016 3:06 PM

May 2016
Johnnyd3rp said:
SuzuMine-chan said:

What?? ¬¬ Are you a troll or are you just s*****?? For your own knowledge, I've met a lot of females who are a lot more strong than males (in my class, for example, there are no boys good in sports but many girls enjoys and practise well sports). So, "female's nature" is also to be strong, not just to be a housewife.

I agree with you that women are not just housewifes but the example you gave is pretty stupid. That men are physically stronger than women is a fact.
It isn't a fact... It's just that a lot of women don't make exercise because of stupid stereotypes and men do because of the same. But anyway, show me the proof of why it is a fact and I will believe you.
Dec 17, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
SuzuMine-chan said:
Johnnyd3rp said:

It isn't a fact... It's just that a lot of women don't make exercise because of stupid stereotypes and men do because of the same. But anyway, show me the proof of why it is a fact and I will believe you.

It's a fact, take for example the times from the 100m at the Olympic Games. Probably there are women that don't lack talent compared to the male counterpart but they still can't compete with them.

There was the discussion if female athletes with high levels of testosterone caused by illness should compete or not.
Johnnyd3rpDec 17, 2016 3:32 PM
Dec 17, 2016 3:22 PM

Aug 2013
JonasTheJay said:
I get that this is pretty extreme and doesn't represent the entire anime community, but it really got me thinking. Sometimes I just get the feeling that anime fans dislike strong fictional females. If you look at battle shounen series with female protagonists (fan service shows excluded, so half naked women don't count), there aren't really a whole lot: Claymore, Soul Eater, JoJo Part 6 Stone Ocean and that's pretty much it. Maybe you know a few others, but you can't deny that the amount of anime/manga with action girls is pretty low. When it comes to all-female casts, then you really only got Claymore and nothing else. Is there really no demand for series like this?

I do realize that shounen are targeted at boys. However manga like Hxh or One Piece have in reality a relatively broad audience of all genders and ages (especially in Japan). It's not like these kinds of manga wouldn't sell well, because some 8 year old boys would be like "ewww girls". Also most moe manga like K-On are also targeted at guys (either shounen or seinen). So the demographic is hardly a good argument and shouldn't hold back creators from writing more tough female characters, right?

Of course there are some great series with a male MC, that also happen to have good female support characters (for example NGE or Gintama). But female protagonists in these kind of series are still super rare, which pisses me off to no end, especially since only very few people seem to care about this issue. Do you think I'm exaggerating or can you relate to my displeasure?
You forgot Medaka from Medaka Box for batte shonen female protagonist. You are right that there aren't a lot of female battle shonen protagonists but outside of that you do have action anime female main protagonists like the Major from GITS, Armitage from Armitage III, mc of Gunslinger girl, Canaan https://myanimelist.net/anime/5356/Canaan ,mc of Ergo Proxy https://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy?q=ergo%20proxy , mc of Mardock Scramble https://myanimelist.net/anime/8100/Mardock_Scramble__The_First_Compression , the main female characters of Bubblegum Crisis https://myanimelist.net/anime/1347/Bubblegum_Crisis?q=bubblegum%20crisi , Birdy from Birdy the Mighty https://myanimelist.net/character/2773/Birdy_Cephon_Altera , the girls from Dirty Pair https://myanimelist.net/anime/424/Dirty_Pair . I guess though that action girl female main protagonists are more common in older anime than newer anime. In newer anime they mainly exist in ecchi fanservice shows. Which makes LoneWolf's post relevant.

LoneWolf said:
Id say most people on this site prefer female characters to male characters, cause they are more cute and easy to fap to. Personally I don't give a fuck a good character can be well written despite their gender. Its just that most female characters are shitty archetypes and waifu-bait. There are a also shitty male chars that are blank slates and generic AF, but the amount of crappy waifu-bait female chars far outnumbers to boring generic male characters.

It's a huge generalization but let's be honest most male anime fans more so than other male fans of other media just care if a female character is cute, or fappable or waifu material. Female anime characters being strong or well written or not bland doesn't really matter for a lot of male anime fans. Hence why male anime characters are more sharply criticized for being bland, annoying ,stereotypical ,overpowered etc. Characters like Lucy from Fairytail and Steph from No Game No Life can be boring buttmonkeys but there are guys who fap to them so it's okay. Madoka can be a walking, crying deus ex machina but she is kawaii with her wide face so it's a non issue.

Just imagine the shitstorm if Sayaka was a guy and acted as melodramatic as she did.
DrGeroCreationDec 17, 2016 3:34 PM
Dec 17, 2016 3:31 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
It's the way round I seek them

Dec 17, 2016 3:40 PM

Aug 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DarkAnimeAngel said:

Kinda funny how shounen gets flak for weak boys sometimes. :P Maybe it's because the focus is on the people around the self-insert character.

True. It's seems l
Johnnyd3rp said:
SuzuMine-chan said:

It's a fact, take for example the times from the 100m at the Olympic Games. Probably there are women that don't lack talent compared to the male counterpart but they still can't compete with them.

There was the discussion if female athletes with high levels of testosterone caused by illness should compete or not.

I know a friend who has an illness like that.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Dec 17, 2016 3:50 PM

Sep 2014
No, we don't. Most of the anime community that requires strong characters are of male demographic, that means we more than likely want the dudes to be the strong ones. The female demographic of anime just want two guys sucking each other off. So there you go.
Dec 17, 2016 4:03 PM

May 2009
SuzuMine-chan said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Well, the two things at once. But I became offended by that comment because I'm really tired of listening people say: "Girls are weird", "Act like a boy and not like a girl" and much more stupid sexist things... U know, stupid people say stupid things

Lines like that presume that there is even one cohesive way that describes how all boys or girls act. Which is totally not true.

Johnnyd3rp said:
SuzuMine-chan said:

It's actually the case only if you take the average of all healthy 25-year-old men and all healthy 25-year-old women on the face of Earth and only if you measure upper body strength.

And even within those contraints, you'll discover that the variation of upper body strength within each gender group of healthy 25-year-olds, is quite wide, and the two groups' statistical distributions overlap quite a bit.
Dec 17, 2016 4:06 PM
Aug 2015
I have nothing but two words to say in regards to this... TERESA... CLAYMORE
Dec 17, 2016 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
RipperIsHere said:

She's strong, sure. But she tends to lose her head sometimes.
Dec 17, 2016 4:23 PM
Aug 2015
Wensbane said:
RipperIsHere said:

She's strong, sure. But she tends to lose her head sometimes.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!! That tickled me that did...
That she does my friend... That... She... Does.
Dec 17, 2016 4:27 PM
May 2015
Tired of dull female characters.. I think in general a lot of anime like to play stereotype.
Dec 17, 2016 4:33 PM
Aug 2015
metArt said:
Tired of dull female characters.. I think in general a lot of anime like to play stereotype.

Most female characters are too sexualised or weak and need a hero in anime... I'm surprised female anime fans haven't caused a ruckus about it yet. I agree with you completely, however it does make you appreciate a decent strong female character when they come along. Like seeing a mythical creature in real life(for lack of a better metaphor).
RipperIsHereDec 17, 2016 4:43 PM
Dec 17, 2016 5:51 PM

Apr 2014
Males are superior to females.....
themanualreader@proton.me
Dec 17, 2016 8:14 PM

Aug 2007
SuzuMine-chan said:
Johnnyd3rp said:

It is a fact. It's basic biology. Doesn't mean that all men are stronger or faster.
Dec 17, 2016 8:54 PM

Apr 2016
I liked Erza in Fairy Tail, I can't agree with that guy, but I get his point. The thing is, guys can adapt easier to these OP male characters than to a female one.
Dec 17, 2016 10:27 PM

Nov 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
SuzuMine-chan said:

It is a fact. It's basic biology. Doesn't mean that all men are stronger or faster.

This is the problem with that kind of thinking.
Sure, you might prove that men have, on the average, 10% more power level than women. But it does not matter, because the final fight is going to be between the MC (power level 1000) and the villain (power level 10 000). These 10% are not going to matter at all. Only the powerup that makes the MC 20 times stronger (power level 20 000) matters.

Laionidas said:
flannan said:

Did it really not sit well with the audiences?

TheBrainintheJar said:
flannan said:

Actually, a lot of viewers complain about main male characters not being strong enough (for any value of strong). For example, Ikari Shinji, lead of NGE.
If you ask me, I like battle harem leads a lot more than comedy harem leads. Even though they aren't that much different in personality, but battle harem leads are brave and strong on the battlefield.

I don't feel the author should chew everything for the viewers. Only the parts he/she considers important.

Shinji Ikari is a lone case. Popular male characters in any type of fiction aren't always strong. Holden Caulfield and Clyde (American Tragedy) are some of the most developed characters you'll find in fiction, and they're horribly flawed. Look at any Pixar film, and the characters aren't strong at all, but have a lot of downsides they struggle with. Woody isn't as charming without his big ego.

Why can't we think of female characters as complex? Why the dichotomy of 'strong' vs 'weak'?

I don't want the author to spill everything, but I shouldn't write the story between the lines. I shouldn't think of things also happening in the 'fictional world' that the author just didn't write. I shouldn't imagine relationships that were never mentioned. I need to only find meaning in the content the author put forth.

I have no idea what kind of show American Tragedy is. Probably not the kind of show I watch.
But I've seen at least 3 male action leads that catch flak for not being badass enough. Besides Shinji, there is Amano Yukiteru ("Yukki") from Mirai Nikki and Arita Haruyuki from Accel World.
Occultic;Nine's Gamon Yuuta annoys a lot of people too (but that show is not action). And don't forget all those people who complain that harem MCs aren't manly enough to rape all the girls.

To quote another poster,
DrGeroCreation said:
Just imagine the shitstorm if Sayaka was a guy and acted as melodramatic as she did.

-----------------------------------

RipperIsHere said:
metArt said:

Most female characters are too sexualised or weak and need a hero in anime... I'm surprised female anime fans haven't caused a ruckus about it yet. I agree with you completely, however it does make you appreciate a decent strong female character when they come along. Like seeing a mythical creature in real life(for lack of a better metaphor).

Why do people keep saying being sexy takes away from being strong? It's not like major male characters dress for practicality. Especially in anime. (looks at a certain orange ninja, looks at Laharl the half-naked demon lord, looks at Conan the Barbarian...)
Dec 17, 2016 11:41 PM

May 2015
flannan said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Sure, you might prove that men have, on the average, 10% more power level than women. But it does not matter, because the final fight is going to be between the MC (power level 1000) and the villain (power level 10 000). These 10% are not going to matter at all. Only the powerup that makes the MC 20 times stronger (power level 20 000) matters.

Laionidas said:

TheBrainintheJar said:

I have no idea what kind of show American Tragedy is. Probably not the kind of show I watch.
But I've seen at least 3 male action leads that catch flak for not being badass enough. Besides Shinji, there is Amano Yukiteru ("Yukki") from Mirai Nikki and Arita Haruyuki from Accel World.
Occultic;Nine's Gamon Yuuta annoys a lot of people too (but that show is not action). And don't forget all those people who complain that harem MCs aren't manly enough to rape all the girls.

To quote another poster,
DrGeroCreation said:

-----------------------------------

RipperIsHere said:

Why do people keep saying being sexy takes away from being strong? It's not like major male characters dress for practicality. Especially in anime. (looks at a certain orange ninja, looks at Laharl the half-naked demon lord, looks at Conan the Barbarian...)

You're talking specifically in the genre of anime. I talk about fiction as a whole, including literature and Western cinema. Anime has a narrow fanbase and its own common cliches and tropes.

When you look at fiction as a hole, you see that popular or acclaimed characters don't get their position just because of 'strength', but development.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 18, 2016 1:19 AM

Jan 2014
flannan said:
Laionidas said:

Meh,.. I guess it did, but then those shows tend to have distinct audiences anyway. The thing is not that it necessarily doesn't sit well with audiences, but rather that there is a significant risk that it won't. It doesn't sit well with/end well for the male main and not everyone can accept that. By that, you're limiting your audience, and thus your sales.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Laionidas said:

Exactly, if you're just setting up a story to basically facilitate fan fiction, then you're not writing.

Star Wars was just horrible alltogether though. I quite like the franchise, though I'm not a real 'fan' I guess, while my little brother just looks at it like any other movie. Both of us had to force (no pun intended) ourselves just to sit through the full length movie. Characters, script, design, effects, everything was just terrible. Maybe not from a technical perspective, but there was literally nothing that surprised me, and everything just oozed 'PC Disney Cash Cow'. Let's forget about it.

Have you watched Episode IV? It's a great lesson in basic storytelling. Forget about the Extended Universe and all that. It's a pure heroic journey about defeating an evil empire.

Sorry, when I said 'Star Wars' I was referring specifically to Episode VII (and future Disney installments). I thought that was obvious, because the quote I replied to allready specified that, but I guess that got lost amidst the walls of text.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 18, 2016 3:35 AM

Mar 2016
Saber, Shiki, Ryuko, Alisa, and Velvet can joint fillet Naruto, Goku, Ichigo, and Luffy and make a nice shounen carnage casserole. Seriously if people can fly or shoot laser beams then there's no reason a woman can't defeat a man with or without wish fulfillment.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Dec 18, 2016 3:44 AM

Apr 2014
Women belong to the kitchen.......
themanualreader@proton.me
Dec 18, 2016 5:00 AM

Dec 2016
Darius said:
Women belong to the kitchen.......

Now that's just cheap bate. At least try harder.
Dec 18, 2016 9:25 AM

May 2009
Creatiwiti said:
Now that's just cheap bate. At least try harder.

He had even cheaper "bate" earlier. Probably running out of ideas, heh.
Dec 18, 2016 9:34 AM

Aug 2007
flannan said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I didn't know real life biology applied to anime and manga.
Dec 18, 2016 9:40 AM

Jun 2015
Have you guys seen Seiri no Moribito (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit)? That's a great (and pretty underrated) example of an anime which has a strong female lead and honestly (in my opinion) wouldn't be as great if the lead (Balsa) were to be male. I personally love anime that have strong female leads. Just my opinion though.
Dec 18, 2016 9:53 AM
Mar 2015
mitthrawndir said:
Moogle-Magic said:
I'm actually desperately searching for more shows that star strong female characters like the ones in Claymore. All I ever seem to find is fucking fanservice anime with girls 'fighting' that do exactly what that (kind of sexist) guy said: flashing their tits and panties.

And I don't think anime fans in general hate strong female characters, of course, there are some assholes, but the main problem is that there are not many of them. And the ones that are being sold as ''strong independent female characters'' are just shitty tsunderes and female supremacists, so there's a stigma around it.

I've been called a shitlord myself for disliking anime with girls in them, but honestly, I couldn't care less what gender the characters are. As long as they're well made characters, gender shouldn't matter. The thing is that there are more good male characters than female characters, who are often used for 'waifu material', fanservice and boosting up the sales. That's all imo.

I really liked Claymore as well and would love to see more action oriented/fantasy anime like that. Sure, Claire wasn't exactly my favorite, but the show made up for it with the variety in the rest of the cast.

Has anyone brought up Psycho Pass?? I thought Akane was a really great example on how a female lead can develop into a 'strong' character without magic or some ridiculous plot device. She is present in most key action scenes if I remember correctly, along with the male leads, but it's believable and balanced... i.e. she's not physically strong but rather more tactical.

I guess it might not really be the genre being discussed, but it came to mind lol.

Try out Seirei no Moribito. I think you might really like it Balsa is an incredible character.

Another great female character is Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the valley of the wind (I have only read the manga though). She is very likeable and is a capable leader. If you read manga I would highly recommend it.
Dec 18, 2016 9:55 AM

Mar 2015
Anime doesn't really have weak female leads (unless made purposefully weak).

Many female characters are strong, either in terms of sheer power or personality, or both, but always fall back to fill out more ... traditional, let's say, roles in the story.

They more often fall back in line, so to say, after they meet male protagonist, even though they were probably just fine on their own and quite often, very independent.
Dec 18, 2016 10:11 AM
Dec 2016
I personally think it's not as much the bias in the anime viewing community so much as it's a bias in the writing community. Since most Anime / Manga are written by males for males...there's an inherent weakness in men's ability to write a believable & strong female character.

I feel it's usually the case that usually only women can write believable female characters (Arukawa-sensei's Winry Rockbell from FMA) mainly because UNLIKE writing about male protagonists, Gender Politics and the Identity of Women in society have been constantly changing in recent times so there's not much prior material to go off of except life experience.

As for the preference of the Japanese Otaku community...we still gotta remember Japan is a very patriarchal society and Japan is still very misogynistic and sexist in their portrayal of women in anime. Unlike in the West where Feminists will take a crusade against your show if its even remotely sexist, Sexism and objectification of women in anime is still very common place and "Moe" girls are pretty much an example & product of female characters written by men for a male audience.
Shadowhearts713Dec 18, 2016 10:16 AM
Dec 20, 2016 2:46 PM

Jul 2016
flannan said:
Darius said:

Yeah, it's totally weird. When the MC is made of rubber, and the party includes a swordsman who fights with three swords at once and a reindeer (I have no idea what's his story), people saying "strong female fighters don't feel natural" are totally weird.
Yes, all of anime is strange enough that minor stuff like gender shouldn't bother people.

nightlur said:
i dont think so there just arent many good ones.female chars are often given emotionless or masculine qualities to express strength and most people can tell its just a ploy to get losers to buy toys cuz they like that archytype of character.

Why people are never bothered by emotionless "strong" male characters, like Guts? I don't think there is any reason female characters can't embody the same archetype.

Laionidas said:

TheBrainintheJar said:
The problem is, we're thinking of female/male characters in different terms. We don't really care about 'strong' male characters. We want them developed and interesting. Why can't we ask the same for women?

TheBrainintheJar said:

Bourmegar said:
Yh Freezing has many issues, the ladies don't get proper development and instead get stripped all the dam time like seriously they can't make proper armor for these girls that are fighting all the dam time?

Why would you bother making proper armor if it's going to get stripped off them anyway?
Still, I like Dog Days' "ablative armor" explanation (basically, the armor is designed to be destroyed, protecting the wearer in the process, and that's the best armor in the setting).

Jaarin said:

Doesn't that suggest that intellectual enquiry is utterly divorced from social activity? Don't get me wrong, cultural fiat is something to be contested and, sometimes, actively avoided. But the insuation that one cannot engage with such things as "youtube comments" because it is "below intellectual discourse" is, itself, as questionable a position as those expressed by the youtube commenters.

Ignoring youtube comments is perfectly reasonable thing to do. Youtube comments are just as devoid of humanity as 2ch and similar sites. Even MAL is a reasonable place in comparison.

well guts has reasons for being emotionless or seeming so and hes strong because of all the fighting hes done .the dude is built like a tank and full of scars he looks like what he is a bad ass. females chars that go for that usually arent given the backstory to explain the strenght or attitude they have they look like models but punch like trained fighters for no reason except its cute .
Dec 20, 2016 3:14 PM

Jul 2014
If anything, Keijo's stats shows irony to this thread otherwise.
Dec 20, 2016 5:20 PM
May 2015
RipperIsHere said:
metArt said:

I reply to make sure is clear, I am for stronger (physically, creative, clever ect..) female character.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» ✨✌The Character Rock Lee Is based On Bruce Lee?!

Metabee177 - Yesterday

11 by Metabee177 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - 4 hours ago

14 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Mar 11

50 by Swyzen »»
17 minutes ago

» ➢Is there an anime that you liked when you first watched it, but hate it when you look back?

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

15 by Maou_heika »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

45 by Maou_heika »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.