Forum Settings
Forums

Simple thread: Why is your favorite anime your favorite?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 19, 2016 2:40 PM

May 2015
Madoka magica, because it deceives you, and draws you onto the unexpected, teaches you the true meaning of a happy ending (movie 3), has realistic chatacters with flaws, mind blowingly beautiful and dark ost, and makes you want to watch more
Jul 19, 2016 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama is my favorite series because it contained everything in it that satisfies my anime watching needs.

I like Samurai anime in general. Gintoki Sakata was a great character... full of proverbial wisdom, friendship, commitment, discipline, and tremendous skill with the sword.

I liked Gintama for its plot the most. Gintoki's back-story leading up to the present time some 15 years later after a particular War that took place in the past. And Gintama also contained some of the best humor / comedy I've ever seen in an anime series.

That's just to name some reasons.
Jul 19, 2016 2:59 PM

Oct 2015
Ghost in the Shell is my favourite because it never fails to amaze me every time I watch it, it's that simple really.

Mamoru Oshii's skills as a director really brought the manga to life.
Jul 19, 2016 8:05 PM

Nov 2013
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Because Asuka is easily the most relatable character I've seen in any fiction.
Jul 19, 2016 8:41 PM

Apr 2015
My favorite anime I actually didn't give a 10, I gave everything in the franchise a 7.

My favorite anime is Di Gi Charat, the whole franchise. While they are my favorites, I'm not going to rate them a 10 simply because of that. The site says a 10 is what you consider to be a masterpiece, and I'm not going to act like DGC is some masterpiece of comedy because, well, it isn't. The only anime I've rated a 10 is Madoka Magica, which is probably my second favorite anime (I'm considering all DGC anime to be my first favorite).

Anyway, as for WHY it's my favorite, there are several reasons. It's what got me more into anime than I was before. Before I got into it I just casually watched some anime that aired on Cartoon Network. Then in Jr. High I rented a DGC manga from the school library, thought it was cute so headed to Google to see what else there was, and watched what was on YouTube, and really liked it. I also met some people online who are now my friends, and I really like the creator's (Koge-Donbo*) art style, to where she's become my favorite artist and is the main inspiration for my own artwork. My favorite pieces of art by her being this and this.

So it's my favorite for mostly sentimental reasons. I also just really like how fucking weird it can be, and also its "villains" are my favorite fictional characters ever made.

Oh, also I really like its music! So many great songs sung by the characters!
BeatlesPkmnFan42Jul 19, 2016 8:57 PM
Jul 19, 2016 8:49 PM

Dec 2013
Because it's a masterpiece of animation with an utterly sublime soundtrack; it's a piece that satisfyingly concludes a rivalry between two of my favorite characters in fiction while delivering a deeply meaningful message to the viewer.

Because it's perfect.
Jul 19, 2016 9:19 PM

Aug 2015
Well, let's talk about my top 4 favorite then Yes, I'm an indecesive fuck who can't decide on one shut up lol

Code Geass: I loved how the scale of it just kept on enlarginf and enlarging through-out the series. I really liked the main character who is hell-bent on revenge because I can really relate to him given that that's what I'd probably do in that situation, I'm not that nice of a person lol. I enjoyed every second of it

Bakuman: This managed to get me fired up and it really motivated me to do stuff although real life robbed me of that motivation real quick and most importantly, I enjoyed every second of it

White Album 2: This is the best romance anime IMO and given that I'm a romance fan myself, this is something that I was happy to have stumbled upon. The characters are just so human and even if they are all wrong, you can't help but take their side. I enjoyed every second of it

Steins:Gate: I enjoyed every bit of it and looking from a critic's point of view, this is the best anime ever. A lot of people say that this show is plot driven and while that is true and I do love how they messed around with it's time travel aspect, I really liked how they developed the characters and how the events affected Okabe. It portrayed the insanity that results from people constantly forgetting about you and we were able to see just how much Okabe changed due to time travel. It had solid character development alongside it's plot

BUT everything that I said about those anime doesn't matter aside from how much I enjoyed the, because I rate based on enjoyment which is why I have such a high mean score and I have so much 10s that you wouldn't be able to tell what my favorites are based on my rankings. It's not that I don't recognize their flaws, I just don't care

Take my score of gosick and HOTD for example. Gosick is so much better if I look at it from a critic's point of view but guess which one I enjoyed more.... It's HOTD which is why I gave it a higher score

Here's a quote from a certain ongoing series called amanchu

"Fun is Justice"
Jul 19, 2016 9:27 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because its full of cute/sexy girls and highlights their body parts every so often ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 19, 2016 10:09 PM

Feb 2015
Reason Eh ?

well, there is no detail reason why i like or why i make it into my fav anime...but...
*Cencoroll. Reason why put it into my fav list: I really like the show because of the atmosphere which it gave to me from the beginning of the episode even tho it's only 26min episode. And not only the atmosphere, the soundtrack got me too especially the ending song. well, if that were my reason why i put it into my fav list, then i thought the story and character weren't really impressive at all but nope. i think the characters were interesting too same with the story but there is still some part of me thinks that "it lacks of something" but it didn't bother me at all, thus it became my fav anime.

*K-ON. Reason; "Music" is one of my fav things in life. especially at playing guitar. and from long ago when i was a brat, i kinda want to see girls playing guitar and other instrument in one band with a really cool and nice song. and when i watch K-ON, just from the first episod.....no.....just after i found it, it literally became one of my fav anime because i can feel it that i will like this anime. unlogical isn't it? xD After i watched the first and second season, i still think it's a great anime personally. the characters and development were great imo. you don't even need to ask about the soundtrack. the comedy was kinda fit really well with the show and characters too xD

*Haruhi. Reasons: this shit right here is more mysterious than 'how i made cencoroll into my fav anime.' from the first time i saw the first episode, heck even from the first time i saw the cover and info about the series, i never, ever, thought it was gonna be a very impressive series to me. but when i watched it, 'Favorite anime 2. Haruhi' lol first 2 3 or maybe more episode, i still didn't think it was an impressive series, or maybe until i finished the first season. but in the end, i didn't know why, i like this. and.....the reason why i didn't know why i like it because at that time i watched the series without using the real order of the episode. so it was kinda messed up. well, i like it because it was interesting to me and felt kinda fun too although haruhi 'is' always annoying imo. the characters are unique too lol. the story itself i think it's unique xD

*No Game No Life. Reason; Just one sentence: I like the show because of how smart the way the author made the story. guess i don't need to say more about this xD
Jul 19, 2016 10:34 PM

Jul 2016
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. It's the closest to perfection I've ever experienced in any work of fiction, period. The writing is incredible - the pacing is so on-point it's absurd. The characters are all just so engaging and go through wonderful arcs and development that is tremendously believable given their characters and the world and story they exist in. The story constantly and consistently plays by its own rules, never falling into tired tropes, unearned surprises, and Deus Ex Machina nonsense. It's a phenomenally emotional and engaging tale of action, adventure, heartbreak, loss, struggle, and heroism, without ever descending into melodrama or on-the-nose theming.

I haven't rated it on here - haven't rated anything on MAL yet - but it's easily a 9. Not a 10 - I just can't get myself to rate anything a true "perfect" - but it's darn close. And nothing I've watched before or since comes close to it. There are plenty of shows where I like certain things better than FMAB, but as an overall package, I have issues with parts of them. I don't have anything wrong with FMAB. I rewatch it year after year, sometimes twice or thrice a year, and it just gets better.
Jul 19, 2016 10:56 PM

Jan 2013
Bleach will always be my favorite despite what people say. The fights were just so action packed and epic. The characters all had some unique trait that made them different from everyone else. The music, art, and plot are all just so great. I watched it 4 times and never got bored of it.
Jul 19, 2016 11:08 PM

Feb 2015
Wait... Really? A thread like this? Ohhh so, the reason why I thought it didn't felt like MAL because of the fact that the animosity of user's are gone...
SYD: Because of the fact that without sex jokes, I'm dead.
I'll make it a "compressed" form because explaining all of them is a pain in the ass.
SOL(Slice of Life): I got quite addicted to its humour and art style. The characters might be have some sort of pattern and fomulas, but some sort of moral can still be learned from it, even without a moral, it can still be enjoyable...
Jul 19, 2016 11:11 PM

Jun 2011
End of Evangelion wasn't really my cup of tea at first, but after I rewatched both it and the series, I realized just how excellent it really is. It's a story about learning to overcome your own fears and self-destructive impulses and reach out to other people...something that isn't always as easy as it might seem. Each and every cut reinforces this message, especially in the second act, and the dream sequence near the end is probably my favourite part of any movie (Western or Japanese) ever. The whole film is so oppressive and visceral, but in the end, it delivers an uplifting and optimistic message, and it helped me improve my own self -- I was in a bad place when I watched it for the first time a few years back (not that bad, but still bad), and it gave me the confidence I needed to become a better person.

It also bears mentioning that Shinji is one of the most relatable characters in any piece of fiction I've ever experienced, for reasons that might be clear if you're familiar with his personality.

All of the other shows in my favourites list are good, don't get me wrong: Ping Pong consistently delivers an exciting viewing experience while examining important themes of talent and hard work; Steins;Gate is just a well-rounded thriller with lovable characters and a fascinating premise; Tatami Galaxy is a grounded, slice-of-life/coming-of-age story that uses a wacky presentation and crazy time travel angle to discuss the value of entelechy as opposed to potentiality (basically, take what life gives you); Eccentric Family is a quintessential story of family love and bonding wrapped up in one of the most interesting settings I've ever seen; and Hyouka (much like Eva, in a way), provides a remarkably natural perspective on self-improvement and the importance of embracing the world around you.

But End of Evangelion is still the best.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jul 20, 2016 1:33 AM
Oct 2015
Shinsekai yori. It's one of the most thought provoking anime I've seen so far. The cinematography is so beautiful and had some very interesting themes such as eugenics which was presented perfectly. There are also some interesting allusions you can make.

Monster (well both the manga and anime are pretty much the same) . It was a thrilling, rollercoaster of action, suspense and a lot of character development. There were a lot of times when I became very surprised as the anime went on.

Death Note. This is the only anime that I've seen which has a villain protagonist and a good antagonist.

One Piece. Lots of characters, huge setting, and a lot of characters/concepts/settings are inspired from the past.

Kiseijuu. Great horror anime w/ lots of action. However, the OST was just outstanding and amazing.
Jul 20, 2016 2:12 AM

Jan 2011
Lucky Star

Why?

Because it is kind of comedic timing and knows how to use references very well. It also has one of the best English dubs of all times. They also do a good job of making the characters likable. Similar to Azumanga Daioh it doesn't need an ongoing plot. IT is taking the format that cartoons like Ed, Edd'n, Eddy have used to become worldwide success.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 20, 2016 5:00 AM

Jun 2016
Yu-Gi-Oh - genuinely has a good story and interesting characters if you look past the fact that its a kid show.
Buso Renkin - was pretty entertaining and Kazuki reminded me of my cosplay journey.
Shakugan no shana - has everything I could ever ask for in an anime. Action, adventure, romance, super natural, fantasy, etc.
Kochikame - never fails to entertain me and make me laugh. Of course I have a lot of unspeakable love for Ryotsu, that goes without saying.
Onmyou Taisenki - tells a story of great companionship and perseverance. I may not be too up on the taoist references but its a really interesting show either way.
Bakegyamon - also had a very interesting story and reminds you to always "have fun with it" in whatever you do just like Sanshiro.

That's just a basic run down anyway :P
Jul 20, 2016 7:19 AM

Jul 2016
LOTGH is the only 10 I've given although there are many anime i loved its the only thing I've seen that i could describe as perfect, in terms of ambition and execution their isn't anything in the medium that rivals it
Characters as numerous as they are have a complexity and realism in the vast majority that most anime even the best can only manage for the main char or a few supporting characters.
The world is rich and detailed every episode has a purpose something to be learned no idea is put as an absolute as with life everyone has their own truth.
When i finished it i knew id never see anything like it again.
Jul 20, 2016 9:45 AM

Feb 2016
Salokannel2 said:
Because Gintama delivers it in every episode. Oh, and because Gintoki is the best character ever.
EDIT: Gintama is actually the only show that made me laugh out loud.

Exactly lol
And Mushishi's story, music and even the (repetitive) art make me happy, interested and relaxed.
Shoegum said:
Shamurai Shampoo
-My favourite scene ever in anime is in this series (episode 14) because of how powerfully it is directed by Shinichiro Watanabe.
Link somehow please

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 20, 2016 10:04 AM

May 2010
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - great mystery, seriously, one of the best, and besides that: it has everything I like. Hopeless tragedy, fighting the fate, gore, brutality, bishie (Keiichi), cute loli (Rika), characters going crazy, outstanding music and nice artstyle.

Also, my favourite kind of endings (spoiler!)
Jul 20, 2016 10:16 AM

Jun 2014
I rated FMAB a 10, but it's not my favorite anime. I gave it that rating because I think it is the most well-done anime.

My favorite anime is Trigun, which I gave an 8 because I want to be honest about its shortcomings, particularly with the slow start and animation. The villain was not really anything memorable and just 'meh.'

It ended up being my favorite because I thought I wouldn't like it, and I did not at first, but it got better as the series progressed and I started to like it. On the other hand, I knew I'd love FMAB from the start.
Jul 20, 2016 10:17 AM
Feb 2016
Dishonest said:

Shoegum said:
Shamurai Shampoo
-My favourite scene ever in anime is in this series (episode 14) because of how powerfully it is directed by Shinichiro Watanabe.
Link somehow please

It's this scene until the end:
https://youtu.be/dj35fxF2bkA?t=17m35s

Gives me goosebumps and brings me close to tears every time I watch it.
Jul 20, 2016 10:31 AM

Jun 2016
My favourites are:
- samurai x trust and betrayal cuz l like Tragic, heart-breaking stories (and because it is one of the rare moments when I shed my manly tears)
-future boy Conan:nostalgia,great light-heart adventure.
Slam dunk :one of the funniest anime I've ever watched,great character development and nostalgia.
Jul 20, 2016 10:46 AM

May 2015
Saint Seiya,
I rated it a 8.
It set the standards for shonen anime today and inspired other big shonen anime.
It is cliche. I grew up watching it, the nostalgia !11

Your Lie in April,
This is what got me hooked on romance anime.
I rated it a 10 due to the fact that it incorporated the music aspect very well.
It does have some flaws but, every time I re-watch it I always feel the feels ;-;

HxH,
Simply the best shonen out there based on the content it gives out.
Had lots of fun watching it
10/10

Stein Gates and re:zero,
ohohohoh
it used the time traveling to give the MCs tragedy
stein gates had an excellent cast of characters
both had good character development
i have faith that re:zero is gonna be the next stein gates or at least close
10/10 for stein gates
to be decided for re:zero since its airing

chuunibyou,
one of the first anime i watched that wasnt shonen
it was an entertaining SOL anime
unique story
simply enjoyed it
rated 8

FMBA,
the pacing was bad at the beginning, not gonna lie
the fighting scenes were epic
animation was always on point
unique story
nostalgia overload, used to watch on tv

cowboy bebop,
every character had its own story
it showed that SOL will not always be repetitive and boring
action was very good
enjoyed it and it is a classic
10/10

golden boy,
the perfect balance between comedy and ecchi
considered the best ecchi anime
fanservice is very good
10/10 as an ecchi anime
7/10 as an anime overall

ps. i dont consider anime that I rated 10 to be flawless.
but to be a masterpiece, to live up to it and will never be forgotten

if you're asking why gintama isnt here,
i just started watching it, on ep 60 something
it really does get funny as it goes
"Because people don't have wings.. We look for ways to fly."
Jul 20, 2016 10:55 AM

Jun 2016
In my opinion Hunter x Hunter had the perfect plot and the best fights.I was always sitting at the edge of my chair when i watched this anime.I didn't think any anime could be be better than FMA:B but I was wrong.
Jul 20, 2016 11:02 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I consider myself a generous giver of 10s (but not so generous that I literally hand it out), but I will talk about only my top two and all-time favorites: Madoka Magica and Kino no Tabi.

Madoka Magica caught my eye from the first minute I watched it. To be honest, I had avoided it for the longest time since I never really dabbled in the Mahou Shoujo genre, and the art everywhere just looked so childish and rainbows and pink and unicorns so I thought it was going to be just another one of those mahou shoujo anime targeted for kids. But then I read reviews and compared it to classic dark anime like Death Note and whatnot, and it really piqued my interest. And that was the anime that really opened my eyes. Before watching Madoka Magica I was really close-minded about anime; I never cared for anime girls so I actively avoided anime with a predominantly female cast, or very much judged anime by their cover. But after watching this, well... My whole outlook on anime changed. It was just so wonderfully done and executed and it had absolutely no flaws in my eyes. I couldn't find something else that could even come close to how much I love this anime.

Kino no Tabi. Ah, something that is truly rewatchable, over and over again. Every single episode just deals with something so deep and meaningful, and it is just wonderfully executed. It's seriously injustice to describe it in words. There is no overarching plot, but each episode ends with a life lesson and moral. It sheds light on the different facets of humanity, and explores different aspects of human nature. It really gives a lot of understanding on how humans can sometimes work.

As for the rest I rated a 10, obviously I think they dealt with their plot beautifully, or I just enjoyed them so immensely that even the lack of an overarching plot didn't bother me at all. Sometimes, like in the case of Hotarubi no Mori e, they were tearjerkers that left me really bawling by the end. I love anything and everything that really tugs at the heartstrings and plays with the emotions of the viewer. And in the case of the few comedies that are on my list, they made me laugh every single second I almost couldn't breathe.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Jul 20, 2016 11:10 AM
Apr 2015
Because it fit with my genre.No matter how good the anime if you can't fit with it, you won't say it good for you.In this case i have a problem to enjoy/understand Monogatari series.HELP ME!!
Jul 20, 2016 11:18 AM
Nov 2010
My favorite is Gintama. It is awesome at everything. Comedy, drama, action everything. The only thing it's missing is romance but that's no big deal.
Jul 20, 2016 11:20 AM
Apr 2015
Dishonest said:
Salokannel2 said:
Because Gintama delivers it in every episode. Oh, and because Gintoki is the best character ever.
EDIT: Gintama is actually the only show that made me laugh out loud.

Exactly lol
And Mushishi's story, music and even the (repetitive) art make me happy, interested and relaxed.
Shoegum said:
Shamurai Shampoo
Link somehow please
Now i met with people who like the same show like i do.Gintoki no one can't change his place.And I thought maybe he could replace another anime protagonist .and mushishi I hope there is another story like this one.
Jul 20, 2016 11:23 AM

May 2016
Fate/Zero. Because it gives me everything that is great in anime--spectacular animation, brilliant soundtrack, deep and interesting characters, a complex storyline full of twists and betrayals, excellent usage and exploration of themes, motherfuckin' Rider, slick straightforward action, smart strategic action, engrossing dialogue, consistently dark and serious tone, deliberate pacing, superb shot composition, masterful directing...it has it all.

Except episode 10. Fuck episode 10.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 20, 2016 11:36 AM
Apr 2015
JkayW said:
End of Eva is legit my favourite movie ever

10/10 pinnacle of entertainment and mindfuckery
Hey tell me why You say that Re:Zero is suck?.You want get killed b*tch?
Jul 20, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
This one's easy. My favorite anime is Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Why?
It surprised me.
Manipulated my expectations and emotions.
The characters are believable and developed.
The OST is the best I've heard.
The character design contrasts with the dark themes.
Akemi Homura is the best character I've seen in an anime.
There are lots of plot twists, and they are explained and make sense.
Rewatch value is enormous. Every time I watch it I enjoy it more.
The witch barriers's design and animation are eerie, weird, and scary.
It scared me like no other anime.
Symbolism that is not so hard to understand.
The story is amazing.
The OP and ED's lyrics are very deep.
The execution is perfect.
I can't find a single flaw.
Lots and lots of theories.
Jul 20, 2016 12:05 PM
Jul 2015
I rate an anime a 10 if its absolutely perfect. The plot has to be exciting, not expecting whats next! The ending is not a cliffhanger like most animess. The characters have to be bot ordinary, the animation has to be presantable and the soundtrack shouldnt be bad. So far, one of animes i warched that truly deserved a 10 was PARASYTE❤️
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 8 hours ago

24 by Xypheron »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 7 hours ago

27 by JaniSIr »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

40 by SwordBreaker36 »»
12 minutes ago

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

11 by eblf2013 »»
15 minutes ago

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 3 hours ago

8 by deg »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.